Youkilis - Like Jeter But Without the Price Tag?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:22 am

http://modernrooters.blogspot.com/

Recently, I saw a Yankees fan write that she wasn't scared of Youkilis at the plate. In fact, their exact words were, "if it’s the bottom of the ninth with a full count, I want Kevin up to bat". Now as someone who's been in the stands when Kevin's hit an incredible 2-out, game winning 2-run home run, I took offense to that. So I did a little research, and you might be surprised what I found out.

For the purposes of framing this argument, I'll use the old, played-out technique of Player A vs. Player B. And I apologize for doing this, but in this case, I think it's relative.

Player A hit .288/.390/.453 with 16 home runs and 83 RBI. They also hit .329/.429/.573 with runners scoring scoring position, driving in 67 runs in those 149 at bats.

Player B hit .322/.388/.452 with 12 home runs and 73 RBI. They also hit .354/.426/.456 with runners in scoring position, driving in 62 runs in those 147 at bats.

The numbers are eerily similar. I think most people would give the advantage to Player A. Even though he didn't hit for as much average he was more productive overall. As many may have already guessed based on the name of this article, the two players are Kevin Youkilis and Derek Jeter. And knowing that, an astute baseball fan can probably tell which player is which based on the averages and home run totals. But I doubt many baseball fans would have known that the two had such similar numbers.

Now knowing who the players are, Yankees fans may make the argument that while Youkilis drove in 10 more runs, Jeter scored 17 more runs. But that ignores the fact the Jeter had 558 at bats in the 2 spot of the order compared to Youkilis' 256. Over those at bats, Youkilis scored a run every 5.22 at bats. In that same spot in the order, Jeter scored a run every 6.2 at bats.

Now for another comparison. You already know who the players are, but this puts them on an even playing field without the name recognition of Jeter.

Player A has hit .309/.377/.469. in the postseason.

Player B has hit .373/.459/.725 in the postseason.

Judging by Jeter's reputation, I think most be inclined to put his name in place of the player with the better hitting line. And they'd be incorrect. Jeter is actually Player A. I concede here, Jeter has had a much longer history of doing well in the postseason. He has 495 postseson at bats compared to Youkilis' 51. But can you punish a player for what is out of his control? I don't think anyone would take Coco Crisp over Jacoby Ellsbury just because Crisp has had more at bats.

And now for another comparison, but this time I won't be masking the names. Kevin Youkilis won his first Gold Glove last year in his second year at first base. He made 0 errors in 1084 total chances at first. Among others at his position he ranked first in the majors in fielding percentage and sixth in Zone Rating.

On the other hand, Derek Jeter made 18 errors in 607 total chances. Among others at his position, he ranked 16th in the majors in fielding percentage and last in the majors in Zone Rating. From 2005 to 2007, the Bill James Handbook ranks Derek Jeter as the worst defensive shortstop in baseball.

Here a Yankees fan could make the point that while Youkilis is a much better fielder, Derek Jeter is much more valuable on the bases. And indeed, they'd have a point here. Although Jeter had a bad year on the bases in 2007, getting caught more than half as many times as he stole a base, Jeter typically steals about 22 bases a year and gets caught five or six times. Youkilis typically steals five or six bases and gets caught twice.

If you look at Win Shares, Jeter finished with 24 last year, while Youkilis finished with 20. Those are rather similar numbers, especially when you consider that Jeter had much more playing time and played more of that time in front of the heart of his team's batting order.

Considering everything, it would appear as if the abilities of Youkilis and Jeter are very similar. You could even make the argument that Youkilis was the better player last year. Youkilis is also much younger, and has much less major league experience. His abilities may improve over the years. And of course he costs a fraction as much as Jeter.

So next time a Yankees fan tells you they're not scared of Youkilis, you can tell them that you're not afraid of Jeter then. Cause Youkilis outhit Jeter last year, especially in Jeter's trademark areas: with runners in scoring position and in the postseason. Then you can tell them that Youk's goatee was boss.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New boss offers no Hanky panky

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:24 am

New boss offers no Hanky panky
http://blog.nj.com/ledgeryankees/2008/01/new_boss_offers_no_hanky_panky.html

TAMPA, Fla. -- The boss will be watching again. Hank Steinbrenner hasn't earned the capital "B" to go along with the title his father always had, but there's no longer any question about who is running the Yankees.

And as the boss, the son plans to do what his dad could not in recent years. He will come to the Bronx and sit in the owner's box at Yankee Stadium, maintaining a visible presence whenever possible. If his first few months in charge are any indication, the team will know he's there.

"Definitely. A lot. A lot," Steinbrenner said when asked if he would visit New York regularly in the spring. "I think it's important to be there. It's absolutely critical for the players to know the owner is there, and for the fans to know the owner is there."

The owner. It is still so strange for anybody other than George Steinbrenner to use that title when referring to the Yankees, but the man sitting behind the desk at Legends Field late last week, alternately sipping a Grande Starbucks coffee and a Diet Dr. Pepper, has that role now.

The young elephant is not only in the tent. He is the ringleader of this circus, going from a nonfactor in this organization to its most visible and outspoken presence in just one off-season.

The upcoming season will be the final one at Yankee Stadium, the first for manager Joe Girardi and the return of new Yankee-for-life Alex Rodriguez. Still, those story lines could dim in comparison to the new presence in the owner's box, the man who is quickly turning this franchise into the Hankies.

He was the one who let the beloved manager leave town despite a massive public outcry, then fired back when Joe Torre called his contract offer insulting. He was the one who had the star third baseman breaking ties with his powerful agent and begging forgiveness. He was the one who set a deadline for Johan Santana trade talks, only to break it by more than a month.

Only the victory total will show if this franchise is better under the leadership of a 50-year-old who has spent most of the past two decades breeding horses. One thing is already certain: The Yankees are much more interesting with Hank in charge.

"I'm pretty easy," Steinbrenner said during a rare extensive interview in his office last week. He was wearing a blue blazer, sitting behind a desk that overlooks the perfectly manicured but empty baseball diamond. "Anything I've been a boss of, I've been an easy boss. But the big thing for me is, I don't like losing."

He leaned forward.

"I mean, I really ... don't ... like ... losing," he said. "I hate it, especially to that team up North. I'm not different than my dad in that way. I'll handle it differently, I think, than he did, but I don't like it. ... We intend to make things right again, the way they have historically been."

The voice. The broad shoulders. The piercing blue eyes. All that's missing to complete the image of his old man is the well-coifed hair -- he opts for a crew cut -- and the white turtleneck.

But even after just a few minutes around the son, the differences between the father are noticeable. He rarely raises his deep voice, and there is none of the bombast that made his father famous.

He comes across like a regular guy, one who seems most comfortable talking about his favorite players as a boy growing up in Cleveland, when he idolized the Indians and outfielder Rocky Colavito. It was through the Indians that he got his first exposure to the franchise he now runs.

"The only games my grandfather took me to see at Municipal Stadium were when the Yankees came to town," Steinbrenner said. "He didn't boo them. He didn't like when the other fans did -- and the Indians fans used to hate the Yankees. He thought the Yankees deserved respect for what they accomplished."

That lesson always stayed with him, and in many ways, it has become his management mission statement of sorts. Wearing the pinstripes, in Hank Steinbrenner's world, should be a privilege. Respecting the team and its history is an absolute must for his employees.

So when the phone rang in November with a contrite Rodriguez on the other line, Steinbrenner took the call in the privacy of his office, leaving general manager Brian Cashman and team president Randy Levine in the other room. Steinbrenner told A-Rod a story about meeting Joe DiMaggio in Los Angeles during the 1978 World Series.

Steinbrenner had on his ring from the 1977 championship, won just four years after he had been pulled out of his high school class with the news that his father had purchased the team. DiMaggio was wearing one of his rings, too. The Boss' son told the legend that it really was more special winning a championship for the Yankees than any other franchise in sports.

"He told me, 'Oh yeah. The number of championships we won wouldn't have meant half as much with any other team,'" Steinbrenner said. "And then he corrected himself and said, 'No, not a quarter as much.' I told Alex that, but I think he knew that already."

Those championships in the '70s, being around the likes of Bobby Murcer and Lou Piniella, helped shape Steinbrenner. But so did the mid '80s, his difficult and short-lived stay as a team official, and the decisions that led to the long championship drought that tormented his father.

Steinbrenner rattles off the names of the young pitchers the franchise frittered away back then -- Jose Rijo, Doug Drabek and Scott McGregor among them. Those rash decisions his father made still bother him, and serve as a backdrop for his belief that the Yankees must build from within.

He hasn't given up on Santana. He makes that clear every chance he gets. But not if the cost is too steep.

"I don't remember, since the '70s since we've had the team, where we've had so many talented young pitchers," he said. "Not just the three guys everybody knows about, but the guys in the minors, too."

Now, he is the one who will make the final decision on what to do with those prospects. He doesn't waver on this: The final decision is his. Cashman can try to talk him out of something, he said, "but I've always told him there are things that have to be my final decision."

Pitchers and catchers will report next month. For the first time in more than a decade, the Yankees will enter the season as decided underdogs to the Red Sox, and for the first time in more than 30 years, somebody other than George Steinbrenner is responsible for changing that.

"I hope we're going to be set," he said. "That's always a concern. Are we really going to be ready?"

Yes, the Yankees will be seeing plenty of their new boss, who will take his seat in an owner's box that, for far too long, has been dark. Hank Steinbrenner hates the off-season. He wants to get started.

Meet the new boss, Hank

In his few months after taking over the reigns of the Yankees from his father, Hank Steinbrenner has rarely been at a loss for words. Here are his thoughts on a few issues facing the team:

On Roger Clemens and his upcoming appearance on 60 Minutes:

"I'll watch it. Oh yeah. I don't know if Roger did anything or not. Nobody knows. We'll have to wait and see what he says."

On repairing relationships with former manager Joe Torre:

"I was hoping that he would take (the contract offer), but he didn't. That fence will be mended -- there's no problem there as far as I'm concerned. I liked the way he stuck up for the Yankees when he said the Mitchell Report was lopsided. He'll always be a Yankee, and when he's done, he'll always be welcomed back with open arms."

On the Red Sox winning a second championship in four years:

"All credit to them. John Henry has done a great job as owner, (Theo) Epstein has done a great job as GM, but we intend to make things right again -- the way they have historically been. Obviously, the Red Sox are going to continue to be a major player, which they weren't in the past. But we intend to be the champs again, and they can be runner's up."

On trading for Twins pitcher Johan Santana:

"Yeah, I'm still thinking about the Santana thing. I haven't made a final decision on that. Obviously, there are different opinions in the organization, and a lot of it depends what they're asking. But I think we're all kind of happy we're we at with young talent. We'll have to wait to sit what happened."

On pitcher Andy Pettitte admitting he used HgH:

"I talked to Andy. I said he should do what he thought was right, and what his conscience said he should do, and he did. He is still a Yankee. He is still loved by the fans and his teammates, and he'll be welcomed back."

On Alex Rodriguez returning to the team:

"I don't blame him. I don't blame him at all. He never intended on leaving the Yankees -- believe me, it's the truth. This guy is -- and I keep telling people but it's like they don't believe it -- but this guy has done a great job with our young players. He's a leader, they look up to him, just like they did with I truly believe him when he said he had no intention of leaving. Like I said before, he won the fans over quicker than Mickey Mantle."

On his relationship with general manager Brian Cashman:

"(Brian) can be more conservative with our money than we are. He put back together our organization. I've always told him, there are things that have to be my final decision. But he's the general manager, and he has the right to try and talk me out of it. And he has talked me out of it."

On the management lessons he learned from his father:

"There are so many. There are things that prop up every day that I see that makes me say, 'Oh, that's why he did that.' At the time I may not have agreed with him, but you come to understand how much you've learned from him over the years. It's really a lot of stuff. The biggest thing is, though, you don't go into any kind of sports business if you don't intend to win. Otherwise, you're spinning your wheels."

On whether he likes being on the back pages of the tabloids:

"No. No. Nooooo. I'm not looking to be a celebrity. That's not what I'm not looking for."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Youkilis - Like Jeter But Without the Price Tag?

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:26 am

Hank's such a giver. Yes, he said more (although not quite as fun):

Quote:
"Nobody would say that we don't want Santana, but, yeah, they're pretty darn confident in what we can do this year [as is]," Steinbrenner said during a phone conversation Tuesday.

Steinbrenner said "a lot of factors" are involved in a potential deal for Santana, and mentioned that the Yankees already have the highest payroll in baseball.

"We're still throwing it around and talking about it. It may happen, or it may not happen," Steinbrenner said. "But a few of our best players seem very confident in the way that things stand right now."

Quote:
Steinbrenner said he hasn't thought about a deal with Minnesota over the past few days, and that he's "not particularly concerned" about the possibility of Santana being traded to another club.

"That's not putting him down," Steinbrenner said. "He's clearly a tremendous pitcher. It's just whether this is best [for our club]."

Steinbrenner said he feels that the Yankees "still probably have the best offer" available for Santana, but later added that "we're all very confident in [Phil] Hughes."

Quote:
"Originally, I set a deadline ... because the winter meetings [are] a circus," Steinbrenner said. "And I'm not going to be played against another team."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/ya...tml?c=y&page=2

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:28 am

Yanks confident, even without Santana
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
BY PETE CALDERA

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/yankees/13553732.html?c=y&page=2

While speaking to some of his trusted veteran Yankees on other matters, senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner also has sought input about a possible deal for Johan Santana.

According to the majority opinion of his players, the team doesn't need to make a blockbuster deal with the Minnesota Twins to put them over the top.

"Nobody would say that we don't want Santana, but, yeah, they're pretty darn confident in what we can do this year [as is]," Steinbrenner said during a phone conversation Tuesday.

Steinbrenner said "a lot of factors" are involved in a potential deal for Santana, and mentioned that the Yankees already have the highest payroll in baseball.

"We're still throwing it around and talking about it. It may happen, or it may not happen," Steinbrenner said. "But a few of our best players seem very confident in the way that things stand right now."

Steinbrenner would not reveal which veteran players he had spoken to, but offered that "they feel fairly confident that we've got a lot of great young pitchers."

More than a month ago, before Andy Pettitte was re-signed, Jorge Posada was one veteran who came out in favor of a deal. "We need a No. 1, and I think that's one of the reasons we're going after Santana," Posada said at the time.

Steinbrenner said he hasn't thought about a deal with Minnesota over the past few days, and that he's "not particularly concerned" about the possibility of Santana being traded to another club.

"That's not putting him down," Steinbrenner said. "He's clearly a tremendous pitcher. It's just whether this is best [for our club]."

Steinbrenner said he feels that the Yankees "still probably have the best offer" available for Santana, but later added that "we're all very confident in [Phil] Hughes."

Hughes has been linked as the key component in a potential deal, along with center fielder Melky Cabrera, and right-handed prospect Jeff Marquez. The Twins seem to be seeking at least one more significant prospect to make a deal.

Santana also would command a significant extension, possibly near $150 million, from his new club. Apparently, there is no deadline as far as the Yankees are concerned.

"Originally, I set a deadline ... because the winter meetings [are] a circus," Steinbrenner said. "And I'm not going to be played against another team."

While Steinbrenner has been portrayed as being in favor of a trade, general manager Brian Cashman and general partner Hal Steinbrenner, Hank's younger brother, seem more concerned with the impact on the luxury tax, and more reluctant to part with young stars under the club's control for several years.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 am

Yanks confident, even without Santana
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
BY PETE CALDERA

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/yankees/13553732.html?c=y&page=2

That's not putting him down," Steinbrenner said. "He's clearly a tremendous pitcher. It's just whether this is best [for our club]."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:34 am

Minnesota's PC talked about Hughes? Link?

Oh and it's Hank time.

Quote:
"There's definitely still a possibility," Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said by phone Tuesday afternoon.

But, Steinbrenner cautioned, there is "nothing new" with regards to Santana.

Quote:
It is believed that general partner Hal Steinbrenner (Hank's younger brother) and general manager Brian Cashman have reservations.

"The bottom line is, it's my decision," Hank Steinbrenner said, "but there's disagreement within the organization. I've got to keep everybody happy in the organization, including Brian ... That includes my partner, which is my brother."

Quote:
"The payroll would just be out of this world this year," Steinbrenner said of potentially adding Santana, "but only for this year. When you've got to trade top young talent and pay a lot of money, it gets very risky."

Quote:
If the Yankees do complete a trade for Santana, Steinbrenner said they would not go beyond a five-year contract extension (one that expires after the 2013 season).

"I wouldn't do it if it were a six- or seven-year contract," Steinbrenner said. "I wouldn't go past five, on an extension."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks0109,0,4317630.story

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:34 am

Someone needs to tell him "silence or be silenced". Now he's arguing with himself in the press and tampering with Santana as well as revealing negotiation strategy. What a nightmare. Can Hal stage a coup? Please?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:37 am

I think I read that its not tampering because they are involved in negotiations with Santana's team... Hank is obviously a pretty bad businessman..

It'll never happen, but what happens to the team if Hank gets slapped with a tampering charge?

Would we lose a pick or something like that? Would he just take the fall?

OMG guys, I'm talking with my friend who lives in Minn, he said on the news the Twins want Hughes, Melky and Marquez is true, but they ALSO want Kennedy.. thats 3 pitchers under 25 years old + our center fielder.. to give a 29 year old pitcher a 150M contract!!

Originally Posted by umpsrconferring
If the Yankees had Santana would you trade him for Hughes?

If the Red Sox had him would you trade him for Jon Lester or Ellsbury?

Quote:
"The payroll would just be out of this world this year," Steinbrenner said of potentially adding Santana, "but only for this year. When you've got to trade top young talent and pay a lot of money, it gets very risky."

What a dumb thing to say. Hey, the salary is only a concern for one year. No biggie. Now give Santana to us for a song.

I won't detail all the mistakes there as they're all ones he's made before. But he made another huge error with his loud mouth: putting a ................load of pressure on Phil Hughes.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:38 am

Not that we didn't already know this was happening, but I think Cashman's biggest worry has to be the reemergence of "the Tampa Faction" (or something like it). I don't think he's sticking around for the money, so unless he can regain his authority (which will probably require Hank to really fall on his face) I think he leaves at the end of his contract.

I'm not completely enamored with some of his decisions, so I'm not really sure if I think that that would be bad, but the resulting organizational chaos would almost certainly be a major short term problem.

QUOTE(Munson @ Jan 6 2008, 01:49 PM) *
I don't think he's sticking around for the money, so unless he can regain his authority (which will probably require Hank to really fall on his face) I think he leaves at the end of his contract.

if he makes it that long without being fired by Hank.

If the Yanks struggle in the first half this year... I have no doubt that Cashman will be the fall guy. Especially if they hang onto the youngsters (instead of moving them for Santana, let's say) and those young arms struggle.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:41 am

Big Leaguer
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 202

Back for another issue. Time to bring to light some players you likely havent heard of.

Once again, sources include PinstripesPlus, soxprospects.com and MILB.com

Red Sox
1. Nick Hagadone 22yrs old. 2007 Level SS (Lowell) 0-1 1.85ERA 0.91WHIP 12.2K/9IP 4.1K/BB 24.1IP
Proximity- Likely to start next season at long season A ball, his proximity will be determined by his role
Potential- Like another player we have talked about, Hagadone is a 2 pitch pitcher. He throws a low to mid 90s fastball as a lefty, and a solid slider. He also throws a below average change. If kept as a starter, he could be moved one or two levels at a time to give his change a chance to develop. Right now, his potential as a starter is too early to tell. As a reliever, it is as a dominant lefty matchup man or setup man.
Overall- Hagadone is one heck of a relief prospect and an intriguing starting pitching prospect. If he develops that changeup, he will see a ceiling of a #2-#3 starter. If he does not, he wont make it as a starter and likely would be a setup man at the big league level.

2. Drake Britton 18yrs old. 2007 Level High School. Signed too late to play.
Proximity- Likely to start in Lowell at short season.
Potential- He sounds like a #2-#4 pitcher depending on the development of his changeup.
Overall- Britton is an interesting prospect. As an 18 yr old, he sounds like he has good power. Sitting low 90s already and having already developed a promising curve, he is a prospect to keep an eye on. The development of his raw change will be a major determinant of his progression. Right now low 90s heat with a developing curve and a decidedly below average change nets him a mid rotation projection. If that change opens into a reliable pitch and he continues his solid control, he could be better than that.

3. Adam Mills 23 yr old. 2007 Level- Lowell (SS) 35.1IP 2.04ERA 37K 9BB 32H
Proximity- Likely to end up in long season A ball
Potential- #5 starter to middle reliever
Overall- Intriguing prospect. Relies on 3 varieties of FB with a change. Doesnt seem to hold his velocity consistently. Will be someone to be kept an eye on, but could easily get lost in the depth of the system.

4. Caleb Clay 20 yrs old by ST. 2007 Level- Lowell (SS) 9K 6BB in 21IP. Lost the rest of the yr and will miss a good chunk of 08 after TJ
Proximity- Hurt a lot by his TJ surgery. Likely will end the 08 season in Lowell again.
Potential- Too early to tell
Overall- A small pitcher with good power. Has 3 offspeed pitches that have promise. Very raw in all aspects and losing a yr will be even more problematic.

5. Brock Huntzinger- 19 yr old. 2007 Level- GCL. only 7IP thrown.
Proximity- Likely to start 2008 in Lowell
Potential- Middle Reliever
Overall- Doesnt throw very hard. Sits high 80s, has a projectable curve and slider. May end up as a pen workhorse if he can pack on a few mph onto the heater.

6. Austin Bailey- 19 yrs old. 2007 draftee, signed too late to play.
Proximity- Likely to start 2008 in Lowell
Potential- Too early to tell. Very projectable for a young kid.
Overall- Bailey is a highly touted high schooler who signed over slot. He has a good fastball for a 19yr old. He has already developed a sharp slider. He's this low on the list mostly because he is very raw.

7. Stolmy Pimental- 18 by opening day. 2007 Level- DSL- 62IP 44H 20ER 22BB 60K
Proximity- may end up in the GCL or Lowell next season
Potential- Good power for a young kid. Has a long way to go, too early to tell
Overall- the big pitching acquisition on the INTL side for 2006. Has good power for a young kid, but has a long way to go.

Overall: The sox dont have any guys in this list that look like downright aces if they project. Bailey and Pimental have the growth capability to reach ace potential, but look like safer bets for #2 or lower. Hagadone looks like one hell of a reliever and certainly could be something more if his change develops.

Yankees
1. Dellin Betances- 20 by opening day. 2007 Level- SS (Staten Island) 1-2 3.60ERA 25IP 24H 29K 17BB
Proximity- Will likely end up in long season, but as a tall, lanky pitcher, he likely will move one step at a time
Potential- Absolute, unequivocal ace.
Overall- As with most tall and lanky high schoolers, he is pretty damn raw. But at 6'9" and capable of throwing high 90s with already a plus curve and a plus potential change, he is the kind of guy who could put it all together one day. If he can get his pitches under control and stay healthy, then he could really be amazing. One major question with Dellin is his health. It was pretty obvious that something was wrong this yr, and he eventually finished the yr on the DL with elbow tendonitis. Thus far, the MRI's are clean and he is throwing without pain right now. If he stays healthy, the sky is the limit. But he is a pretty long way from his ceiling right now.

2. Andrew Brackman- 22yrs old. 2007 Level late signee and surgery
Proximity- will spend 2008 on the DL with TJ surgery and should start 2009 in Charleston or Tampa
Potential- Absolute, unequivocal ace
Overall- See Betances above. He can throw high 90s. He has a spike curve that already is questionably rated as an 80 on a scale of 20-80. He throws a changeup that will need some development. As with any tall pitcher, he will likely spend some serious time in the minors as they tend to develop slower than most. But he is a player with unbelievable potential.

3. Jairo Heredia- 18 yrs old. 2007 level Rookie (GCL) 46.1IP 39H 52K 11BB
Proximity- Likely to start 2008 in Staten Island with an outside chance of starting in long season
Potential- Ace-#3
Overall- Another of the yankees golden children. Heredia offers the yankees one hell of a prospect. Throws mid 90s, has a plus curve and already a MLB average change. He can locate every pitch and is well ahead of most players his age. If he continues to develop and that change reaches its potential, he will have 3 controlled plus pitches with a velocity high of mid 90s. That is ace material. If that change stays where it is, he is at least a #2 or #3. Regardless, he seems like a steal.

4. Mark Melancon- 23 yrs old by opening day. 2007- injured
Proximity- questionable. He will likely start at Tampa and see multiple levels. He is projected to hit the bigs by the end of the yr or in 09
Potential- Closer
Overall- Coming out of college, he was considered a top 20 pick, but fell due to injury concerns. After TJ surgery in October of 06, he should be fully ready by ST. He has a mid 90s 4 seamer, a plus curve and a plus change which he can locate. For a reliever, his stuff is uncanny and could be a major boon on his way to his eventual slot in the yankee pen.

5. Ryan Pope- 21 yrs old. 2007- SS (Staten Island) 43.1IP 41H 46K 10BB
Proximity- Will likely start 2008 in Tampa, High A
Potential- #3
Overall- Sits low 90s with the potential to hit 93. Throws MLB average curve that has some projectability and a plus change. Kinda like Ian Kennedy, he is expected to rise the ranks quickly. Is considered a major steal of the 2007 draft that could pay dividends soon. Ceiling isnt as high as the 4 above him on this list, but he is a damn sure bet to reach it.

6. Zach McCallister- 20 yrs old. 2007- SS (Staten Island) 71.1IP 80H 75K 28BB
Proximity- Likely to start in Charleston, long season in 2008
Potential- #2-#4
Overall- 07 was a tale of two halves. His first half, he was an all star. His second half, he was awful. His struggles were linked to his inconsistency in learning a curveball. The curve has now been scrapped in favor of his slider. His slider and changeup are plus potential, but have a long way to go. Good movement on both, but lack of repetition is his issue. He is a big boy with lots of projectability. Throws a 4FB and a 2FB as well, but surprisingly, there is no variability in his velocity (91-94mph) between the two. Intriguing prospect, but has a long way to go.

7. Manny Barreda- 19 yrs old. 2007 GCL- 39IP 30H 44K 15BB
Proximity- Likely to start 08 in Staten Island
Potential- Small frame limits his potential, but he throws very hard for 5'11". It is too early to tell
Overall- Small frame, but he can sit mid 90s. He also has a big league slider already. He does have issues with repetition of delivery and will need to develop his poor change to stay on pace for the rotation. He is a nice steal of the draft as he was pegged to be in the rotation at Arizona State this yr.

And the name to keep an eye on--- Arodys Vizcaino- 16 yr old kid who already throws 94mph and is considered better than Heredia at the same stage. Could be one hell of a pitcher if he truly lives up to the hype.

Other names on the platter for the yankees.
Francisco Gil
Ryan Zink
Adam Olbrychowski
Wilkins de la Rosa

Comparison- The sox have some nice prospects that could truly grow into something nice. But the yankees have 3 guys with ace ceilings and plenty of other safer picks after that. Their lower levels are loaded and I dont think it is terribly close. Yankees take this one.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:59 am

LOL @ Hank! He's not so dumb after all. That's how you reduce a guys potential market value: the biggest spender isn't going to give you want you want. Therefore, everyone else won't either. Good move. Then again, that might irritate Santana to the point that he'll gladly sign with the Sox for less just to stick it to the Yankees.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:02 am

A few random thoughts to close out the day

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

A few things here:

Maybe I’m alone, but did anybody else notice how Roger Clemens and Brian NcNamee kept disagreeing about their relationship during their now infamous phone call?

Clemens kepts saying he treated McNamee “like everybody else” while McNamee kept correcting him to say that he was actually treated like family.

So what does mean, Rocket treats everybody else as well as Debbie and the K Boys? It makes no sense. Forget steroids, I want answers to that question.

————

I’d like to officially welcome Sam Borden to The Journal News. Sam has joined the sports department this week and will be doing enterprise projects, features and columns.

Sam is the former Yankees beat writer for The Daily News and was recently the lead columnist for The Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville. Sam, Mark Feinsand and I wrote Ace In America last year. The biography of Chien-Ming Wang was published in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

In addition to being a good friend, Sam is a heck of a writer and reporter and I’m looking forward to him helping out with our Yankees coverage. Sam and I also are discussing doing a podcast and other multi-media projects.

————

Finally, when will the colleges wise up and start a playoff system for football? There are playoffs for Division III, II and whatever they call I-AA these days. But the big schools remain tied to the BCS, which nobody understands, or cares about based on the television ratings.

It would seem pretty easy to have a 16-team tournament. Cap the regular season at 11 games then choose the field like basketball does. The two teams in the final would play 15 games. Is that a big deal? LSU played 14 games this season.

A tournament would capture the attention of the nation, much like the NCAA basketball tournament does.

NFL picks: Patriots 31, Jaguars 21; Packers 28, Seahawks 21; Giants 21, Cowboys 17; Colts 31, Chargers 14.

# Boston Dave January 8th, 2008 at 8:49 pm

16 teams seems too many. 4 or 8 would be pretty good.
# Phil January 8th, 2008 at 8:50 pm

Your NFL picks are spot on.

Welcome aboard, Sam!
# li January 8th, 2008 at 8:51 pm

I would assume Mcnamee wanted affirmation from Roger that he was special to him, but all he was was a means to an end.
# pat January 8th, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Hardin has Clemens choosing his words very carefully. I noticed Clemens start to say like family and it was as if he editted himself to say like everyone else. Also during the press conference when asked about the lidocaine injection, he said he was injected in the lower back and then started to say upper and then went back to lower back. It was almost as if he was told not to say butt.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 8:53 pm

I like the Cowboys over the Giants, but good picks otherwise.

Sam: Welcome aboard; I look forward to reading your work!
# Joe from Long Island January 8th, 2008 at 8:54 pm

I guess Sam didn’t like Florida.

But he does write well. Maybe Pete can have him as a guest blogger.
# Jennifer - Save Phil Hughes! January 8th, 2008 at 8:56 pm

Welcome aboard Sam, you’ll have a blast here. Good Luck.
# Boston Dave January 8th, 2008 at 8:56 pm

pete, I think I’m gonna go with those picks as well.

Dallas is ripe for a loss. Even if TO plays, he wont be 100% and they may use him as a decoy more than anything else. Romo has seemed more tentative and less accurate over the past month. The Giants picked the right time to play their best ball of the season. If you have to go with an upset, its the G-Men.
# pat January 8th, 2008 at 8:58 pm

I find McNamees comment about I would rather be called a liar than a drug dealer odd.

Sounds like he admitted he would rather be charged for perjury than for distributing steroids.
# J-Dawg January 8th, 2008 at 9:04 pm

I agree with three of those picks, the Cowboys will probably be too much for the G-Men, although it looks like T.O. may not play as a game-time decision. Since Tennessee lost, I now hope that the Packers win it all. As an NFL fan, it would be wonderful to see Brett Favre win a 2nd Super Bowl ring.
# Jeff NJ January 8th, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for picking the Giants over the Cowboys, that would be so sweet. However, it is Tuesday, you should wait until Friday to make your picks. By the way, makes you wonder if the Giants could get their New England rematch.
# Jennifer - Save Phil Hughes! January 8th, 2008 at 9:08 pm

31 degrees with a 30% chance of snow! I want to see a snow bowl. Sad
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Jennifer: Not sure where you are, but it’s nearly 70 today round the City!
# Jennifer - Save Phil Hughes! January 8th, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Sorry I was looking for the Green Bay game. I’m in Jersey and it was beautiful today and I was stuck inside a hot court room most of the day.
# jay destro January 8th, 2008 at 9:18 pm

welcome sam
# Deezer January 8th, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Pete, do the podcast. You’ll get a ton of listeners. We’re desperate for sensible baseball talk in the offseason.
# myrtlebeachfan January 8th, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Cowboys won’t lose to the Giants.

Cowboys 24 - Giants 21
Seahawks 24 - Packers 31
Patriots 42 - Jaguars 17
Colts 38 - Chargers 28

And yes, the BCS system is ridiculous.

Georgia and USC should have played for the title. I think that was evident by the terrible performance by OSU and LSU’s winning with some repetitive luck.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 9:22 pm

myrtlebeach: Georgia would have beat LSU IMO. Dunno what they’ll be like next year, but they’re worth watching.
# Drive 4-5 January 8th, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Deezer,

Couldn’t disagree more. The LoHud is as fine a newspaper for an area of it’s size that you’ll find. I always enjoyed Sam’s writing and Florida’s loss is our gain. You’ll have a pretty hard time finding 2 better baseball writers in any metropolitan area paper than Sam & Pete. We’re lucky to have them.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Devils game going to shoot out

Let’s go Devils!
# Bill Porter January 8th, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Hey that’s great stuff, I liked Sam’s work at the News at thought his Blog was great. Welcome back Sam!
# Amitiza-Nation January 8th, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Cowboys 40 - Giants 16
Packers 20 - Seahawks 17
Jaguars 15 - Patriots 3
Colts 24 - Chargers 21
# Franklyn January 8th, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Anyone heard about Kelly Tilghman’s comments about Tiger Woods on the Golf Channel the other day?

According to Kelly, young golfers of today should take Tiger Woods to a back alley and lynch him.

What amazes me is that this hasnt gotten Don Imus or Michael Richards or any other large-scale racist comment-maker kind of attention.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Devils win! Yay!
# Drive 4-5 January 8th, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Franklyn,

she said what?????
# Drive 4-5 January 8th, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Golf Channel anchor Kelly Tilghman has apologized after saying during Friday’s telecast of the PGA Tour’s opening event that today’s young players should “lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley.”

“On Friday during our golf broadcast, Nick Faldo and I were discussing Tiger’s dominance in the golf world and I used some poorly chosen words,” Tilghman said in a statement. “I have known Tiger for 12 years and I have apologized directly to him. I also apologize to our viewers who may have been offended by my comments.”

The story was first reported by New York Newsday.

The Golf Channel also responded to the situation.

“We regret the unfortunate choice of words that Kelly used during the broadcast and apologize to anyone who was offended by her remarks,” the network said in its statement. “We take this matter very seriously. She has apologized privately to Tiger and publicly on the air.”

Tilghman, who played college golf at Duke, works as the main play-by-play announcer during The Golf Channel’s PGA Tour telecasts.
# Jordan January 8th, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Barry Bonds
Michael Vick
OJ Simpson
Roger Clemens

4 names I would prefer to never hear again. I quit caring 15 mintues after the Mitchell Report came out. Can you quit making 4 post a day about him now Pete? Maybe just one a day? I know its January, but the nail is in the wall!
# Jaewon January 8th, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Giants will win because:
a) momentum
b) Romo will fold AGAIN in the playoffs
c) Eli’s on fire
d) Jacobs and Bradshaw are perfect together, and
e) T.O. will be hurt.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Franklyn: Cos it’s a) the golf channel, and b) a woman commentator, not a WASP male.

Also, there is such a thing as Golf play by play? o_O;;
# Jaewon January 8th, 2008 at 9:41 pm

ESPN Report: Carl Pavano slips on spilled beer and cracks head during his birthday party today. He will miss 18-36 months.

Ok this isn’t true. However here’s to Carly P’s birthday present being a release!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:04 am

# rawdaddie January 8th, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Looks like Sam only lasted a year with that Florida paper. It’s too bad he left the Daily News which I enjoyed him as the Yankees beat writer. Good luck with your new endeavor.
# Buddy Biancalana January 8th, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Rebecca-

Hows the cellphone?
# Drive 4-5 January 8th, 2008 at 10:33 pm

When did McKamee say he’s drag in Andy? That’s the last thing we need.

The only good news this week was Canseco’s writer quitting on him and saying Canseco has next to nothing on A Rod.
# Another Joe(lets stop talking about Clemens OK) January 8th, 2008 at 10:34 pm

Lets stop talking about Clemens Ok. So I’ll try to start something here. PREDICTIONS 2008- Shelley Duncan becomes an everyday player 1st base makes a Major League case 24 homeruns .290 hitting average 32 doubles 4 triples. What do you predict about Shelley and/or any other player on the team.
# Drive 4-5 January 8th, 2008 at 10:36 pm

BTW. With 66% of the voting in Hillary has a 5,000 vote lead,her biggest of the night.It amounts to a 3 point lead.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Buddy: The phone’s actually working great! My dad was kind of ready to kill me when I told him what I’d done, but you all and my other non Yankee fan friends gave great advice re letting it dry out.

Joe: ain’t it the truth!
# Yazman January 8th, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Andrea, I agree, hate to see Andy disturbed during the season.

That said, it’s hard to imagine Andy lying under oath. So we’d have three scenarios:

1) Andy knew about it Roger using PED

2a) Andy didn’t know about it, but Roger did use them

2b) Andy didn’t know about it because Roger did not use PEDs.

It strikes me that with Andy trying HGH, scenario #2a ia fairly unlikely. I’m guessing if Roger did them, Andy knew about it, and if he’s under oath, he’ll implicate Roger rather than perjure himself.

That would make Andy’s testimony to the question “did you know anything about Roger using PEDs?” very interesting.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Here’s a question for you all:

Who does America elect first: A female, a black, or a Jew?

(the above question is meant to be joking and/or satiric as nature. It is not meant to be mysoginistic, anti-semitic or racially biased in any nature.)
# Jim PA January 8th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

I predict Duncan breaks ARod’s forearm in spring training with one of those dopey bashes of his, then burns up the league as the starting third baseman. Mmm, maybe not.
# mel January 8th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Rebecca,

You’re supposed to start the joke with: “Three candidates walk into a bar. One starts dancing on the bar, the second…
# whozat January 8th, 2008 at 10:43 pm

“What do you predict about Shelley”

Shelley?

400 ABs, he hits .250/.330/.470 at best.

If he gets 200 ABs or playing mostly against lefties, and adjusts well to the part-time play, I figure he could hit .270/.360/.500
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Jim: ARod, no. Phil or Ian, however…
# Another Joe January 8th, 2008 at 10:44 pm

If Hillary’s the woman Obama the black and Bloomberg the jew i’d go with Bloomberg he’s much better for the econ. than them both. We’ll find out if he runs.
# Boston Dave January 8th, 2008 at 10:44 pm

Andrea,

I imagine in that case Pettitte would be brought in to testify and be cross-examined (or whatever it is that those lawyers do)…. and that would be the end of it.

Andy wouldn’t be going to court day in and day out. At least in my completely unqualified legal opinion Smile
# mel January 8th, 2008 at 10:45 pm

I’d love for Shelley to put in a lot of hours with Kevin Long. I think it’s a stretch to think that Shelley will be in midseason form anytime soon, though. Did he have any procedures for his circulatory thing-a-ma-jiggy?
# Drive 4-5 January 8th, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Rebecca,

That’s a tough one. I have 2 daughter, my best friend is Jewish and I kinda support Obama. lol
# Boston Dave January 8th, 2008 at 10:46 pm

whozat -

you may be right but I think thats a bit pessimistic. I was surprised, shocked even, at some of the plate discipline Shelly showed at the end of the season. In his first games he was swinging for the fences. But once he settles down he even started taking the ball the other way and taking pitches. I think he could be a .280 hitter no problemo.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 10:46 pm

mel: *giggles* You are the LoHud Comedic genius.

I dub you:

Mel the Magnificent
# Boston Dave January 8th, 2008 at 10:46 pm

settled*
# whozat January 8th, 2008 at 10:48 pm

“400 ABs, he hits .250/.330/.470 at best.”

And, I’d just like to point out that’d be pretty amazing, given that that’s near his career minor league numbers, without much of a discount for coming to MLB.

As a full timer, something like .230/.310/.470 with a TON of strikeouts is more likely. A fair amount of power, but not much else. I think he could be useful in a platoon role, though, like I said above.
# Another Joe January 8th, 2008 at 10:49 pm

Shelley is healthy again. I saw him last year and from what I heard he’s in better shape for this coming year. Somebody shows stats better than predicted I’m going with Shelley and so are the Yankees.
# mel January 8th, 2008 at 10:51 pm

whozat,

Take a look at some of Shelley’s homeruns. They were way out of the zone. I’d like Shelley to work with Kevin Long, because he fixed Robbie’s strike zone issues. ‘Nuf said.

But those golf shot homeruns are the best. I guess it’s too much to ask for Shelley to become our very own Vlade, huh?
# Blargh January 8th, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Rebecca: None of the above
I made a prediction back in high school that America will continue to only elect white, rich, male Christians as president, and I’m sticking with that
And I say that as non-white atheist dude. The biggest reason is, of course, the solid south.
# mel January 8th, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Rebecca,

HaHa. The question is who’s dancing on the bar?
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Blargh: I try to be more optimistic than that!
# Andrea January 8th, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Boston Dave: I think that kind of thing would rip him apart though. His friendship with Clemens means a lot to him, but so does being honest.
# whozat January 8th, 2008 at 10:53 pm

“But once he settles down he even started taking the ball the other way and taking pitches. I think he could be a .280 hitter no problemo.”

You realize that this would be making the assumption that he will significantly out-perform his career numbers — which were compiled in the minors. He only walked 8 times, and struck out 20, in his major league stint.

I agree, I did see some very good ABs from him where he showed great strike zone judgement. But when you’re talking about a full season, there are times when you’re off your stride, you’re off your timing, you’re pressing trying to get out of a slump, etc etc etc.

I definitely think Shelley could have a couple hot streaks at the plate, but I also think that he’d become over-exposed as a full-timer. I think he’s Craig Wilson. Not going to kill you with the glove, hits lefties well, runs into one a fair amount, strikes out a lot. There’s a place for that in the majors, no question.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:04 am

# sunny615 January 8th, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Hey Pete

Just curious, but I was around when Mark announced Sam leaving for the Florida paper ony a year ago - what happened and why did he come back to NY?
# Buddy Biancalana January 8th, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Rebecca & Andrea-

Are either of you doing guest blog posts?
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Buddy: Only time will tell Wink
# Andrea January 8th, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Buddy: not me. I don’t consider myself a very good blogger.
# Another Joe January 8th, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Hank told Newsday today that he won’t be signing Santana to more than a 5 year extention ( ends 2013). Can’t see the deal going through (hope it doesn’t). We’ll get to see what the young guys bring to the park. Also Joba’s a starter (thought we knew that already).
# mel January 8th, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Another Joe,

That’s because the Yankees are willing to pay more per annum. They know that $20M won’t do it like Minny & Boston think it will.
# McLovin January 8th, 2008 at 11:48 pm

So we are going into the season with 7 rookies in our pitching staff.There’s only 3 ways this will playout.

1)WE get Santana now.

2)Joba and Hughes will end up going 180 innings to 200 this year and in three years will end up like Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

3)WE get Santana or a overrated pitcher in the July trade deadline.

There no other way around this.Joba and Hughes will be great…in five years.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 8th, 2008 at 11:53 pm

McLovin: You need yourself a dose of optimism :-P
# Depends why you want to know January 8th, 2008 at 11:53 pm

McLovin you don’t think there’s a chance the yankees work a great year without Santana. Well just wait to be proven wrong.
# McLovin January 9th, 2008 at 12:00 am

REbecca&Depends why you want to know:

I Hope so.I don’t mind keeping Hughes.But to go into a season with 7 rookies and three starters who never pitched a year I worry about pitch counts and how much we push these kids.

I mean how many kids we have with injuries and Tommy John surgeries.Our system is full of High ceiling high risked pitchers.I feel we will trade at some time.Hank sounds like he’s itching for a trade.
# whozat January 9th, 2008 at 12:12 am

“Our system is full of High ceiling high risked pitchers”

Actually, Hughes and Ian are pretty low-risk, high reward. Especially Hughes. Joba’s got a bit more risk, but it’s not like he had chronic issues in college. He seems like a Sabathia build to me. His delivery doesn’t seem like it stresses his elbow or anything.

The Yanks have six MLB starters right now. I think they’ll figure out the innings issue. If it means the kids each spend some time in the pen…ok, makes the pen better.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 9th, 2008 at 12:20 am

McLovin: You’re well within your rights to be concerned, but it does no good to worry if we can’t change the situation.

Unless you are, in fact, Brian Cashman or hank Steinbrenner, in which case, you should be worrying about it. But not trading Phil, Joba or Ian. Or I’ll be upset.
# J-Dawg January 9th, 2008 at 12:21 am

I realize that the innings caps and the relative inexperience of Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy present concerns for some fans, but don’t things look more promising for the Yankee rotation now than they did before the start of last season? At this point last year, Carl Pavano and Kei Igawa made up two-fifths of the rotation. The Yankees are undoubtedly much better off taking their chances with this group.
# Yazman January 9th, 2008 at 12:28 am

Boston Dave (sorry to stay OT w/ politics)

Again, I don’t (yet) consider myself in anyone’s camp, but Hillary is better known for taking on the insurance industry than anyone! She’s raised the most money among health professionals. I do respect Edwards’ stance to take on the lobbyists, though.

Hillary toughest moment in politics was when she created the Clinton Health Care Plan in 1993. Its failure helped forge her philosophy: change isn’t change unless something actually changes.

No, I definitely don’t blame Edwards that the Bill didn’t pass! He fought a noble fight. But it’s ironic to consider it your greatest accomplishment when it (sadly) didn’t help one person. Hillary has a pretty impressive list of health care wins for the poor, middle class, and especially for children.

OK, sorry. I’m done with politics here Smile
# McLovin January 9th, 2008 at 12:37 am

I still think we should get Santana.WE get him is as much a risk as seeing these kids become half of what Santana is.WE got the chance to get a once in a lifetime pitcher for a injury “Prospect” pitcher last year,a forth outfielder,a long man reliever in Marquez is a steal.Next year we get rid of HGH Pettitte,Abreu and that $22 million we lose in Giambi will go to Santana who is worth $25 in this crazy market.

SAntana is in his prime.Santana,Pettitte,Wang,Joba,Ian Kennedy,Mussina is the best staff.

Lets gamble with the bullpen not the bullpen and Starting staff.This isn’t a rebuilding team what are we the A’s.A bunch of prospects and a couple of veterns.
# Yankees Chick January 9th, 2008 at 3:12 am

easy does it on the chargers! after winning their first playoff game at home in 2190231890 years, i’m crossing my fingers that they’re on a roll. my poor city needs a team to bust some moves and end the heartache!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:05 am

Pinch hitting: Scott Proctor’s Arm

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

January is usually a slow month for baseball news. So we’ve lined up a series of guest bloggers to entertain you. Next up is Andrew from Scott Proctor’s Arm.

Andrew is from Rockland County and studies journalism at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, Conn. He started his blog last May so he could write about his favorite team. Andrew reports that Derek Jeter is his favorite player and he got to 10 games at the Stadium last season.

Here’s his post:

Following another early playoff exit, things were looking grim for the New York Yankees. Joe Torre, after 12 successful seasons, was out after what was probably his best managerial job (winning 94 games after starting 21-29), and many thought free agents Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte would follow in a mass exodus. Alex Rodriguez also opted out of his record contract during Game 4 of the World Series.

But by the end of December, the Yankees were successful in retaining their free agents. Some of their contracts bothered me, while others were smart.

Posada, a 36-year-old catcher, has played in 131 or more games behind the plate every season since 2000. I would have been hesitant to give him four years and $52.4 million at that age for fear of him breaking down, no viable replacements in-house (the catching prospects are extremely young) and a lack of position mobility. However, at the time, Rodriguez looked like he was a goner and the team couldn’t afford to lose Posada’s bat after he had a career year. The Yankees blew their chance to get any sort of discount by refusing to negotiate during spring training.

Rivera also received a bloated contract (three years, $45 million). I would have given him a two-year contract with an option, but Rivera also felt slighted that he wasn’t spoken to during the spring. Rivera had probably the worst season of his career this year, yet he was rewarded with a pay-raise ($15 million per year for a closer pitching about 70 innings is ridiculous). An option would’ve allowed the Yankees to gauge where Rivera was at the age of 40.

The biggest and most expensive move involved the reigning M.V.P. Rodriguez signed a 10-year, $275 million contract with bonuses for home run milestones (making it potentially worth $305 million). The contract is a relative bargain, as it is not back-loaded when he’s past his prime.

Losing his right-handed bat would have been a crushing blow to the team for the upcoming season. But in the long-run, if he left, it could have been beneficial to the team. His production is irreplaceable, but the Yankees would’ve had more money to sign cheaper, quality players to stray away from the all-star lineup concept which has failed to win playoff games since 2004.

With the young pitchers likely having innings caps this season, re-signing Pettitte was a must. After declining his $16 million player option to weigh his future, he signed a one-year contract for the same amount a few weeks later. His production last season (15-9, 4.05 ERA), however, probably doesn’t warrant a deal worth that much.

I don’t like LaTroy Hawkins, but I liked his contract (one year, $3.75 million). The Yankees finally realized they shouldn’t give multi-year contracts to mediocre relievers.

Yes, this isn’t my money. However, with the luxury tax becoming a factor, the Yankees should become more cautious in their spending. They should also reevaluate their policy of not negotiating during spring training. They probably could’ve gotten Rivera and Posada to re-sign at much lower values.

I am very excited for the Joe Girardi era to begin. I loved his hire, because he won the 2006 National League Manager of the Year award with a young team and the Yankees appear to be headed in a younger direction as well. Hopefully Yankee fans will have a lot to cheer about when October rolls around this yea

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:06 am

# Mark McCray January 9th, 2008 at 12:22 am

I heart Joe Girardi
# whozat January 9th, 2008 at 12:36 am

So…they had no internal options for catcher, there weren’t any good ones on the market, Minaya would GLADLY have given Jorge that money…and the contract was a BAD idea?

Also…it’s really easy to use hindsight to say they should’ve negotiated extensions in the spring…but with players of their age, the likelihood was that they’d decrease their value. Also, it’s easy to say mo had the “worst season of his career” if you don’t take into account that most of his bad games were when he’d sit around for four days because his team was awful in April and May. Did you see him in October? Looked fine to me.

Yes, $15 mil sounds ridiculous. But he’s getting paid for who he’s been and what he’s meant to the team, and for having been under-market for the last several years. The Phils happily gave Tom Gordon a 3 year deal at 38. Francisco Cordero got what, 10 or 11 mil per? You think Mo wouldn’t have gotten 3 year offers if he went on the market? You think he wouldn’t have gotten 12 per? So, the contract’s probably inflated by 2-3 mil per. It’s mo…that really doesn’t bother me that much.
# Matt January 9th, 2008 at 12:36 am

More I think about it getting rid of Proctor was a pretty dumb move. Our bullpen is very inconsistent and you can count on Scotty to pitch 70 innings with an ERA under 4.
# whozat January 9th, 2008 at 12:40 am

“Our bullpen is very inconsistent”

So was Proctor. His walks were up, his Ks were down, his homers and hits were up…These are NOT good indicators.
# Old Yanks Fan January 9th, 2008 at 12:41 am

While we paid through the nose for some of our guys, as Yankee fans, we should be very greatful that not only do the Yankees have money, but do feel an allegiance to keeping the ‘family intact’. We talk about winning, but as the ‘SAVE PHIL HUGHES’ movement has shown, sometimes keeping certain players has a higher priority then winning.

I remember when Murcer was traded, it took weeks for me to enjoy a Yankee game. I literally cried when I first heard it. I felt so betrayed. I basically blew off that season. I’m very happy Mo & Po are still Yankees, and excited to see if ARod can shed some of his problems and cement his legacy as a Yankee.
# Peter Abraham January 9th, 2008 at 12:42 am

Thanks for the post Andrew. Good luck in school and getting your career started.
# whozat January 9th, 2008 at 12:43 am

“His production is irreplaceable, but the Yankees would’ve had more money to sign cheaper, quality players”

Like?

Which of the free agent 1B and 3B’s should they have gotten? Would they have needed to trade for one? Who do you go after?
# Andrew V. January 9th, 2008 at 12:45 am

QU REPRESENT!
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 9th, 2008 at 12:45 am

Andrew: Not sure I agree with everything, but a great summation of the Yankees’ offseason moves thus far Smile
# JBRO January 9th, 2008 at 12:46 am

QU ay, both my brothers went/go there…

Good post

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:07 am

# Old Yanks Fan January 9th, 2008 at 12:41 am

While we paid through the nose for some of our guys, as Yankee fans, we should be very greatful that not only do the Yankees have money, but do feel an allegiance to keeping the ‘family intact’. We talk about winning, but as the ‘SAVE PHIL HUGHES’ movement has shown, sometimes keeping certain players has a higher priority then winning.

I remember when Murcer was traded, it took weeks for me to enjoy a Yankee game. I literally cried when I first heard it. I felt so betrayed. I basically blew off that season. I’m very happy Mo & Po are still Yankees, and excited to see if ARod can shed some of his problems and cement his legacy as a Yankee.
# Peter Abraham January 9th, 2008 at 12:42 am

Thanks for the post Andrew. Good luck in school and getting your career started.
# whozat January 9th, 2008 at 12:43 am

“His production is irreplaceable, but the Yankees would’ve had more money to sign cheaper, quality players”

Like?

Which of the free agent 1B and 3B’s should they have gotten? Would they have needed to trade for one? Who do you go after?
# Andrew V. January 9th, 2008 at 12:45 am

QU REPRESENT!
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 9th, 2008 at 12:45 am

Andrew: Not sure I agree with everything, but a great summation of the Yankees’ offseason moves thus far Smile
# JBRO January 9th, 2008 at 12:46 am

QU ay, both my brothers went/go there…

Good post

Go Bobcat Lax
# YankzFrenzy January 9th, 2008 at 12:58 am

the only part of your post that I have to disagree with completely is the part about Pettitte and his 16 mil contract. he pitched much better than his record indicates. he had one or two REALLY bad games during the season and that totally inflated his ERA. his pitching late in the season is definately one reason we even made the postseason. not to mention his postseason performance this year.
# mel January 9th, 2008 at 1:02 am

Lots of food for thought! Just 2 months ago, there was a lot of doom & gloom here, and Rebecca was trying her best to keep the optimism going.

The only free agent I felt he HAD to have back was Jorge. I could not live with a year of Torrealba or, worse, LoDuca. He tried his best to make the Yankees squirm, but you could tell that Jorge couldn’t wait to come back. The money and years don’t bother me. The Yankees are odd in that they starve players in the early years and overpay in the later years for good service and loyalty. Kind of like a semi-retirement plan. Jorge has plenty of kick left and can always DH or play another position. And signing Molina on top of it was like a 5-point play in basketball. Sweet!

There’s still angst on the blog, but none for me. I’m psyched that we’re going to battle with the hottest manager in the game, the hottest young pitchers in the league, the future homerun king, and the Captain. And if Santana comes along for the ride, even better.

If you can’t get psyched about the changes, renewed optimism, and one last year in the old stadium, then you may have bigger problems than worrying about how Cashman’s going to work the rotation or fix the bullpen. Wink

Good luck in your endeavors, Andrew.
# McLovin January 9th, 2008 at 1:06 am

And Pettitte pitched great against bad teams.He had a 4 Era.Is implicated in the HGH scandal tainting anything we win and couldn’t past 5 innings against Boston and sucked and started the season in th DL and got schooled by Carmona in the ALDS.I can’t wait till he’s $16 million goes to a true Ace.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 9th, 2008 at 1:09 am

McLovin: You’re confusing Pettitte with Wang and Carmona with Sabathia.

Pettitte did not give up a single run in the ALDS to Cleveland. Joba did.

In fact, Pettitte pitched one of the best games of his career.
# J-Dawg January 9th, 2008 at 1:10 am

I think that the Yankees have had a fine offseason so far. Like others have said, this is basically the same team that was tearing it up during the second half of the season. Some things have changed, such as the manager and the youth of the rotation, but to me those sound like changes for the better. Roll with the changes, as REO Speedwagon once said. Keep on rollin’!!
# Vince January 9th, 2008 at 1:10 am

Rick Hancock would be proud, Andrew.

Go Bobcats!
# Scott Proctor's Arm January 9th, 2008 at 1:14 am

I’m just worried that the lineup is going to be exactly the same - the same lineup that never shows up against the best pitchers of the American League a lot of the time.
# Brian January 9th, 2008 at 1:14 am

“and got schooled by Carmona in the ALDS.”

Did you watch that game? He left with a 1-0 lead after 8.
# Philo Farnsworth January 9th, 2008 at 1:17 am

You say that Arod’s contract is a relative bargain because is not back-loaded. This is exactly backwards: the Yanks would be getting a better deal if they DID backload the contract, because money spent in later years is worth less than money spent now (due to inflation and time value of money).
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 9th, 2008 at 1:18 am

Andrew: They were awful in games one and two, sure, but they were great in game three, and would have been fine in game four if

a) Wang wasn’t on three days rest and they had a legitimate pitcher

and

b) Jeter didn’t GIDP every at bat!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:08 am

# January 9th, 2008 at 2:48 am

new smoking gun video by clemens clears up all doubts

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1795065
# EY January 9th, 2008 at 5:42 am

Great post.

“Scott Proctor’s Arm” has to be my favorite blog name. I get a chuckle whenever I think of Joe Torre following Proctor all the way to LA.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:28 am

Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to deal five nickels for a quarter. $ quarters for a dollar? Maybe.

None of the Mets prospects, with the exception of Gomez and F-Mart, excite anyone. Also, given the lowering of overall value of positional players and the heightened value of anyone who can throw a ball, the Mets' package is nowhere near the Yankee package.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Yankees13
I won't detail all the mistakes there as they're all ones he's made before. But he made another huge error with his loud mouth: putting a ................load of pressure on Phil Hughes.

I highly doubt his comments will have any effect on Hughes. We the fans have put a lot more pressure on Hughes than Hank ever has. Showing confidence in your players is a must.

It seems like people are looking for anything to bash Hank for, which is a shame. People are saying/were saying give Hughes a shot(which I agree with). Well why dont we give Hank a year as owner as well before we try to spin everything he does as a negative?

Its funny that this whole thing started with Torre

He offers Torre a contract that would have him be the highest paid manager in baseball and he declines

the fans: Oh my god who will manage the team?

He hires Joe Giradi

the fans: Oh my god he snubbed Mattingly. Now all of our free agents will leave

He re-signs everybody

Oh my god he overpaid, and we still have pitching problems

He gets into negotiations for Santana and puts his absolute best deal on the table and doesnt budge

Oh my god he is considering trade Hughes for a 28 year old Ace, this obviously means we are going to trade the farm for Jose Guillen or something

Internal debate happens and he weighs all the options and opinions of his baseball people including Stick Michael who built the dynasty teams who is with him and Cashman and Hal who are against him.

Oh My god he is an indecisive idiot

He shows faith in Phil Hughes

Oh my god what an idiot putting all this pressure on the kid(3 post after accusing him of thinking Hughes wasnt very good due to his injury plagued 07)

I dont think most of us are being fair. Lets give the dude a shot.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:33 am

I agree! Until the day I actually see Phil Hughes in a Twins jersey I do not blame him for anything. All though I would have liked it if we had signed A-rod for less but, other then that I don't blame him for anything. I actually like the way Hank thinks even if we got Santana he said he wouldn't extend him for more then 5 years. If he doesn't change his mind that's actually a very smart decision.

I highly doubt this, but could Hal actually not want this deal to happen? The way he keeps opening his mouth seems to serve no purpose besides infuriating the Twins to the point where they make no deal at all. Of course it's prolly just that he can't shut his trap.

That's nothing new, but if they haven't moved off of that than this deal has almost no chance of being done.

Sheesh, Hank opens his mouth yet again and says nothing of substance, other than that he has more power over his brother. Just shut up already...........

Of course they do, and they probably want Joba as well.
You can tell them we want Santana for Kennedy, Melky and Marquez, no Hughes

Everyone wants what they want, it does not mean they get it..

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:34 am

Dice-K flexes

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1065477

Daisuke Matsuzaka began preparing for his 2008 season Sunday with a five-hour workout at his former team’s Seibu Lions stadium in Tokorozawa, Japan.

Matsuzaka told reporters he planned to work out in Japan for about a month and that unlike last year, he would not be conducting his January workouts in Southern California. A year ago, Matsuzaka spent much of this month throwing and exercising near his agent Scott Boras’ home office in Newport Beach, Calif., before reporting to Fort Myers for his first season with the Red Sox [team stats].

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:35 am

Like ’78, Gossage wins day
http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?articleid=1065448#articleFull

Gossage yesterday became the only player voted into the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America, receiving 466 votes, or 85.8 percent of the ballots cast. He easily eclipsed the 75 percent necessary for induction.

There were 543 ballots cast, including three that were left blank.

The bad news for Rice was that for the 14th straight season he came up short, earning 392 votes (72.2 percent). He fell 16 votes shy of induction, but easily marked his highest total, eclipsing last year’s tally of 346 (63.5 percent).

The veteran of 16 major league seasons has one year of eligibility left before having to rely on induction via the Veterans Committee.

“Today’s results are obviously a disappointment,” Rice said in a statement. “I believe my accomplishments speak for themselves, and a majority of the voters seem to agree. It is tough to come this close, but I remain hopeful for the 2009 results.”

And it is that final chance that offers Rice perhaps more optimism that any of his previous shots at induction.

The voting marked the 21st time a candidate has received more than 70 percent of the vote but less than the necessary 75 percent. The previous 20 ultimately were inducted. Gossage was in that category after earning 71.2 percent of the vote last year and overcoming the final hurdle this time around.

cw-2“Just from what I know and facing these guys, I think Jim Rice does belong in the Hall of Fame and I’ve said that all along,” Gossage said in a conference call. “No hitter scared me, but Jim Rice came the closest. What a tremendous hitter he was. He made that whole Boston lineup a better lineup.”

The words of support weren’t lost on Rice, whose vote total was second to Gossage with Andre Dawson (368 votes, 65.9 percent) third and Bert Blyleven (336 votes, 61.9) fourth.

“I appreciate all the kind words from so many players, including Rich Gossage,” Rice said in his statement, “and I congratulate Goose on his well-deserved election today.”

Not only does Rice figure to have history on his side, the future appears to be an ally for the former slugger as well. Next year just one candidate, Rickey Henderson, figures to have a shot at garnering more votes than Rice.

Rice finished in the top five in MVP voting six times, and finished his career with a .298 career batting average and 382 home runs.

Gossage is the 61st pitcher elected to the Hall of Fame and fifth reliever, joining Hoyt Wilhelm, Rollie Fingers, Dennis Eckersley and Bruce Sutter. The 56-year-old pitched in 1,002 games for nine clubs, compiling 310 saves. He was selected to nine All-Star Games in his 21-year career.

“The biggest game that I ever pitched in on any team by far was that ’78 playoff game with the Red Sox [team stats],” he said. “It seemed like the playoffs after that and the World Series were kind of anticlimactic because of the pressure that was in that one-game playoff.”

Gossage will be inducted July 27 in Cooperstown, joined by five men elected last month by the revamped Veterans Committee: former commissioner Bowie Kuhn, former Dodgers owner Walter O’Malley, managers Dick Williams and Billy Southworth and ex-Pirates owner Barney Dreyfuss.

Williams, the manager of the ’67 Red Sox, managed Gossage on the San Diego Padres, helping them win the 1984 NL pennant.

“There isn’t anybody I’d rather go in with than Dick Williams,” Gossage said.

The ceremony will also include the presentation of the J.G. Taylor Spink Award for baseball writing, won by the late Boston Globe writer Larry Whiteside.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:38 am

As someone mentioned earlier this is the same lineup that came up short last year against quality pitching.

Posada will most likely return to being a .260 ish hitter with the accompanying stats to go with it.

Mo most likely will continue to accelerate towards mere mortal status.

Andy given his age could very likely return to elbow trouble and a mediocre record.

Alex will most likely be Alex; monster regular season player on the field while going into the witness protection program in the post-season and a PLAYA! off the field in any season.

This team still needs an ACE (Santana)in the rotation and a STUD (Nathan)in the bullpen.

Hughes, Kennedy, Cabera and a couple of B prospects for Santana and Nathan anyone?

Offense delights the fans but pitching and defense win games both in the regular season and POST-season.

TurnTwo January 9th, 2008 at 8:33 am

I would not trade Hughes AND Kennedy in any single deal, even if you are getting Johan and Nathan. While the trade for Johan comes basically with a guaranteed extention, you would imagine Nathan would test the FA market following the 2008 season… still not worth giving up 2 of the big 3, IMO.

“You say that Arod’s contract is a relative bargain because is not back-loaded. This is exactly backwards”

The people making this point are either unaware of, or forgetting, the fact that the new stadium lets the Yankees avoid most of either the luxury tax or revenue sharing burden for 08 and perhaps 09. I’m not sure exactly what the deal is, but I know they get to avoid paying a bunch of money for at least next year, and maybe another year or two. So, it makes sense to stick ARod’s big money in those years.

JRVJ January 9th, 2008 at 7:54 am

“(A-ROD’s) production is irreplaceable, but the Yankees would’ve had more money to sign cheaper, quality players to stray away from the all-star lineup concept which has failed to win playoff games since 2004.”

I think the Yankees are moving away from the all-star lineup concept, and I don’t buy the argument that the Yankees wil have less money to sign cheaper, quality players.

There was no young, cheap, quality player out there this off-season that the Yankes should have gotten.

$46.5MM will be coming off the books after 2008 of almost non-production ($17 from Giambi - there’s the $5MM buyout which I count as being off the books after 2009; $11MM for Moose; $10MM for Pavano; $5MM for Farns; $3.5M for Hawkins). Depending on what happens with Pettitte and Abreu, the Yanks could have up to $32MM extra coming off the books after 2008 (both are earning $16MM in 2008).

And after 2009, Damon and Matsui are off the books ($13MM each).

Arguably, the Yankees can pay $20MM to Santana (or Sabathia) and $15/16MM to Teixeira after this year, and still save $10MM (assuming they keep Pettitte and Abreu).

On the OF front, I suspect the Yankees will be crossing their fingers that Jackson or Tabata are ready for 2009, so they don’t have to sign Abreu (though I think they’ll offer Abreu arbitration no matter what).

So again, the Yanks will have more than enough money to sign anyone they need after 2008, and will still be saving money. And because of what’s coming up in the system, the Yanks should be able to save extra money in the OF in the future.

Speaking of overspending, Hank Steinbrenner insists he’s not out of the Santana hunt. He told Newsday “bottom line is, it’s my decision, although there is disagreement within the organization. I have to keep everybody happy, including Brian (Cashman) and my partner, which is my brother. Of course, the payroll would be out of this world, but only this year.” So which is it, Hank?

Posada was a must-sign at almost any cost with no viable replacements either on the free agent market or in-house. With Rodriguez out of the fold at the time, all the trade chips had to be held, but in any event, I don’t know that any catchers would have been available in trade — they’re such a rare commodity that good ones, even fair ones, are held onto pretty strongly.

Rodriguez staying saved the Yankees from having to spend prospects, the best and brightest, to get Miguel Cabrera, arguably the only 3B out there to come close to “replacing” Rodriguez’ production.

Mo is Mo, and again, what other closer was on the FA market? How much would a trade have cost in players/prospects? And again, as with catchers, teams hold onto their best relievers.

Pettitte’s deal was a good deal.

If Rodriguez isn’t re-signed, the Yankees can’t even dream about possibly making a trade for Santana, unless they were content to have Wilson Betemit as their everyday 3B.

The money spent is a lot. There’s no disagreement there. But I think it was well-spent.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:39 am

January 9th, 2008 at 1:46 am

Sorry, mixed up the figures, but the point remains the same. $26 million would account for 12% of the Yankees current payroll. In 2002, it would have accounted for 21% of their payroll. Backloaded contracts are easier to manage because the dollar is worth the least when the Yankees have to pay the most of them.

Philo has a point. If the Yankees back load the contract, they’d save more money overall. The dollar would be inflated most, when the Yankees have to pay the most. I’d rather pay $30 million when it’s worth more like $20 million than pay $30 million when it’s worth $30 million. It’s like asking whether someone would rather have to come up with $1,000 now or whether they’d rather go back in time to 1950 and try to earn it.

# McLovin January 9th, 2008 at 1:06 am

And Pettitte pitched great against bad teams.He had a 4 Era.Is implicated in the HGH scandal tainting anything we win and couldn’t past 5 innings against Boston and sucked and started the season in th DL and got schooled by Carmona in the ALDS.I can’t wait till he’s $16 million goes to a true Ace.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 9th, 2008 at 1:09 am

McLovin: You’re confusing Pettitte with Wang and Carmona with Sabathia.

Pettitte did not give up a single run in the ALDS to Cleveland. Joba did.

In fact, Pettitte pitched one of the best games of his career.
# J-Dawg January 9th, 2008 at 1:10 am

I think that the Yankees have had a fine offseason so far. Like others have said, this is basically the same team that was tearing it up during the second half of the season. Some things have changed, such as the manager and the youth of the rotation, but to me those sound like changes for the better. Roll with the changes, as REO Speedwagon once said. Keep on rollin’!!
# Vince January 9th, 2008 at 1:10 am

Rick Hancock would be proud, Andrew.

Go Bobcats!
# Scott Proctor's Arm January 9th, 2008 at 1:14 am

I’m just worried that the lineup is going to be exactly the same - the same lineup that never shows up against the best pitchers of the American League a lot of the time.
# Brian January 9th, 2008 at 1:14 am

“and got schooled by Carmona in the ALDS.”

Did you watch that game? He left with a 1-0 lead after 8.
# Philo Farnsworth January 9th, 2008 at 1:17 am

You say that Arod’s contract is a relative bargain because is not back-loaded. This is exactly backwards: the Yanks would be getting a better deal if they DID backload the contract, because money spent in later years is worth less than money spent now (due to inflation and time value of money).
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 9th, 2008 at 1:18 am

Andrew: They were awful in games one and two, sure, but they were great in game three, and would have been fine in game four if

a) Wang wasn’t on three days rest and they had a legitimate pitcher

and

b) Jeter didn’t GIDP every at bat!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next