Buzz: More Seeing Mets and Johan Santana

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Buzz: More Seeing Mets and Johan Santana

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Re: Yankees In Talks With Twins About Santana Part X
My hope is that Mike Cameron signing with the Brewers will finally kill this Santana deal once and for all.

With Cameron gone, that leaves Corey Patterson as the only reasonable free agent CFer.

I can't imagine the Yankee baseball people seriously wanting to start the season with Damon back in CF, and Matsui in left. Talk about defensive disasters...

And if you do this, who are the backup outfielders? Brett Gardner and Jason Lane?

And somehow the guy running MLBTradeRumors.com posts this nugget:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/0....html#comments

Quote:
Rosenthal adds that one reason the Yankees may have passed is that they were unwilling to pay both Cameron and Johan Santana. (Really?)

Wait... the initial report was that the Yankees were looking at Cameron BECAUSE of the Santana deal. (That morphed into "we might look to trade Melky anyways" later.)

I THOUGHT the options were:
- trade Melky in a deal for Santana, and replace Melky with Cameron
- sign Cameron, don't trade for Santana, and trade Melky (possibly for Marte)

The other option is to keep Melky, and reformulate the deal with Hughes and (say) Austin Jackson or Jose Tabata - which would make me hate the Santana deal even more.

I just want Hank to say "we're out of it" or hear that Minaya caved to the Twins, and Santana is a Met.

Edit: Matt Cerrone updated his Mets blog - HIS sources indicate that the Mets are Santana's likely destination:
http://www.metsblog.com/2008/01/11/b...johan-santana/

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Why does that Metsblog dude have to put everything in italics? It's annoying.

Quote:
Another source, however, says the Yankees no longer are talking to the Twins about Santana and simply chose to keep their outfield intact rather than sign Cameron. Hank Steinbrenner has been the Yankees' executive most adamant about landing Santana, but he seemingly has backed off in his most recent public comments.

Rosenthal

So one source says the Yankees passed on Cameron because they are still looking to trade for Santana, but another source says they traded for Cameron because the Sanatana talks are dead....

I like Rosenthal, but what does this mean? Try to imagine for a sceond who these sources might be. If they are both from the Yankees, wouldn't he be able to figure out which one was reliable, or higher-up on the food chain?
Is one from another organization? Is one a friendly chipmunk?

It just seems like really odd reporting.

The almighty sources just said the Yankees wouldn't want to pay both and the rest seems to be him furthering an assumption.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he just made the Cameron bit up in the first place yesterday and is now trying to semi-cover his ass since it fell apart so quickly.

But do you still think the Yankees are serious players for Santana?

think the Yankees honestly believe they put the best offer out there already (and they might have done so). The Twins don't value Hughes in the same light as most here I guess, or they were trying to bluff the Yankees into sending more. Does anyone believe that they are going to bounce their offer in a substantial way? (eg Hughes +Jackson &Tabata) I think it's more likely that the Mets add FMart or the Red Sox add Lester to Ellsbury.

Minaya is ultimately going to bend on this one. The Mets NEED Santana. Maine, Perez, Pedro (for 10 starts), ?????, ?????? is not exactly a rotation that scares anybody.

I don't know whether they are or not, although I'm leaning towards not as I think they're fine with him going to the Mutts and he's shifting that way at the moment.

I just think Rosenthal likely fudged big on the Cameron bit and this stuff about not getting him because of Santana is nothing more than him covering for himself.

Those reports about the Twins moving off of Reyes and onto the Mets big 5 are apparently false, though. I do not see Omar trading Reyes.......there's no chance of that

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:51 pm

Why Santana is headed to the Mets ...

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/blog/2008/01/heres_the_bottom_line_for.html

.. or the Yankees or Red Sox. Here's the bottom line for Twins GM Bill Smith when it comes to Johan Santana: Can Smith settle for an attractive package of prospects for the two-time Cy Young winner, which is what the Mets can offer, or does he need a proven major-league starter, like the Yankees' Phil Hughes or the Red Sox's Jon Lester, to save face in dealing Santana?
twins.jpg

It would be awfully tough for Smith to trade Santana and not have any of the players in that deal make an impact for the Twins next season. I'm not saying that Carlos Gomez won't make the roster, but he could use some more experience before stepping into a full-time role. As for Philip Humber or Kevin Mulvey, they have potential, but that's about it at this stage.

The Mets are under the impression that Smith is still figuring out which way to go, as reported today in Newsday. They're definitely in the mix, but if the Twins want a difference-maker for next season, the Yankees and Red Sox seem better equipped to provide that. If not, and Smith goes for the mother lode of prospects, then the Mets could be the ones to close the blockbuster deal

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:52 pm

take it you meant Humber and not Hughes?

Posted by MJ | January 11, 2008 14:55

If that Yanks or Sox need to give the Twinks a difference maker, why should they not just keep those difference maker players for themselves and save $140 mil? That's why I don't believe those 2 teams are really interested in Santana, just keep the other from getting him.

Posted by DaMetsman in Honolulu | January 11, 2008 16:53

Fact is, all three teams in the running have made attractive offers, but why in his right mind would Bill Smith want to keep him in the same league and to a team that will almost certainly make the playoffs? Makes no sense at all. If he wants a difference maker now, the Mets can deal Heilman, Gomez, Humber and a lower level prospect. If he wants the top Mets prospects he would probably be looking for Gomez or F-Mart (we can't deal both with Milledge departed), Guerra, Mulvey and Humber. To compound the situation, all indications are that Santana would prefer to be in the NL since it gives him one less real batter to pitch to 3-4 times a game and he can hit, which he loves to do. The fact that the Mets have a pretty good nucleus of Hispanic players and GM should also be a plus. Time is ticking away for Smith, but so too for Minaya to a slightly lesser extent, as pitchers like Colon, Lohse, Livan Hernandez and a few others may sign with other clubs this month.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Just curious, now that he's got his SNY sponsorship, do you guys put more, less, or the same amount of stock in his reports, for example, when he cites the "insiders" he's talking to...

On the one hand, I'm curious as to how much more access he's gotten via SNY and the Mets. On the other, I can't help but be a little skeptical as to how much spin he's either putting on things himself or being given by SNY.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:56 pm

Yankees' Hughes keeps hearing trade rumors

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7664950

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Phil Hughes keeps hearing the trade rumors. If the Yankees acquire Johan Santana from Minnesota, Hughes wound wind up with the Twins.

"I try to avoid the rumors best I can, but you eventually here it from friends, family and the whole deal," Hughes said after working out Friday at the Yankees' minor league complex. "You never want to hear your name out there, but on the other side, at least it's good to know that other teams think highly of you. I wouldn't say tough winter, but definitely an interesting one."

Hughes, a 21-year-old right-hander, hasn't talked with team officials in Tampa about the trade possibility since his named surfaced in talks in November.

"I actually heard my name out there for the first time from my dad," Hughes said. "Then I just called my agent to see if there's anything to it, and found there was. That's the extent of the contact I've had."

Hughes is focused on the one thing he can control, preparing for the 2008 season. He started a throwing program four weeks ago.

"I want to get on a mound before spring training starts, and maybe get four or five bullpens in," Hughes said. "Physically, everything is good."

Hughes made his major league debut on April 26 last year and threw 6 1-3 no-hit innings at Texas five days later before hurting his hamstring. After losing additional time to an ankle injury, Hughes finished with a 5-3 record and a 4.46 ERA. He was 3-0 with a 2.66 ERA in his final four starts and also threw 3 2-3 scoreless innings for a playoff win over Cleveland out of the bullpen.

Two other pitching prospects, Humberto Sanchez and Andrew Brackman, are taking part in throwing programs after elbow ligament replacement surgery last year.

Sanchez, one of three pitchers obtained from Detroit for outfielder Gary Sheffield, expects to throw off a mound by late next month.

"It's going well," Sanchez said. "So far, so good. We're on the right track. Hopefully there are no setbacks."

Sanchez, who had surgery April 18, could be ready for minor league games in May.

Brackman, the Yankees' first round pick in the 2007 amateur draft, is scheduled to start throwing from 90 feet next week. The 6-foot-10, 240-pound right-hander from North Carolina State had surgery on Aug. 24 and was expected to be sidelined 12-to-18 months.

Bob Costas wears a hairpiece,he collected the hair from his dog COCO off the carpet.
bklyndan
1/11/2008
4:02 PM (report inappropriate content)

Their farm system has a group of large pitchers
Sanchez is 6 ft 6 270
Betances is 6ft 8 225
Horne is 6 ft 4 250
Olhendorff is 6 ft 5 250
While everyone is thrilled with Kennedy Hughes and Joba, they have about 10 second tier guys who are capable of breakout seasons--for all the other teams fan babbling abt money and free agents, the farm system had the highest winning pwercentage overall in 2007. Go Yanks--bury the pretenders
GUYINMI
1/11/2008
2:51 PM (report inappropriate content)

Brackman is more like a football player 6' 4 240lbs? man.. big.
Hughes will win 15-20 games within a year. so why Yanks want Santana after all with a huge contract? hope yanks are smart enough to give up young pitchers.
BahstonSux
1/11/2008
2:38 PM (report inappropriate content)

6'10", 240...DANG!!!

A young Randy Johnson in the making...but even bigger!

GO YANKEES!!!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:05 pm

Quote:
Make of this what you will:

Omar came home from Israel early, and somewhat unexpectedly, tonight.

Then, he ended leaving before the end of a very tight basketball game that his son was playing in.

--"Omar's Wacky Neighbor" (SOSH)

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=26968&st=20

The guy is legitimately Minaya's neighbor, I've lurked at SoSH for awhile.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:06 pm

b.c the mets are losers and the yankees always get their way. B/c Phil Hughes is just that much better than any of our pitchers i guess. But it's true, they probably said "cant have em" and every team just accepted it, but they'll hold Omar's balls and make Fernando be part of the deal.

Fernando is considered to have more present and future power and thus a higher ceiling than Tabata, but I'm a huge Tabata fan as well. The kid has hit .300 with a .370+ OBP every season at extraordinarily young ages. Like Fernando, he's done it despite playing through injuries. Great prospect. Underrated.

I'm sure his name has come up in discussions and just maybe he is one of the guys the Yanks wont give up and thus why no deal has been made yet.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:10 pm

Dennis says:

January 11th, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Baseball America ranks the Mets prospects as follows:

Fernando Martinez is #1.
Deolis Guerra is #2.
Carlos Gomez is #3.
Kevin Mulvey is #4.

From Seth Stohs on Guerra:

“Scouts speak of a couple of things. First, he has great poise, especially for someone his age. He is 6-5 already and just 200 pounds. His fastball is already reaching 90 mph and he has a lot of room for growth, which should increase the velocity of his fastball. His best pitch already is his changeup which also moves a lot. The combination has meant a lot of groundballs to this point. He gave up just three home runs in 2007. He is also working on a curveball.

The sky is the limit on Guerra. He could be a 19 year old pitcher at AA in 2008 which would be pretty incredible. I think if the Twins were able to acquire him, As I said with Martinez, if they have a chance to get him, they absolutely should.”

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:10 pm

Gomez is a few months younger than Lastings Milledge, but he is every bit as talented and whipped right past the one-time top Mets outfield prospect. Gomez, remember, is the player league-leading basestealer Jose Reyes said he couldn't out-run. That is telling for all Rotisserie owners. With a full season of at-bats, Gomez is a candidate to post 30-40 steals in his first year as a starter, but he will have to earn his at-bats to start the season, barring a trade. Long term, we might be talking an elite basestealer and one that could develop into a Carl Crawford-type .300-20-75-100-50 candidate. Consider Gomez one of the potential steals on Draft Day, but monitor his performance and playing time in spring training before spending more than a late-round pick on him. He is extremely talented but still very raw.
(Updated 11/30/2007).

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:16 pm

From ESPN Deportes about Fernando Martinez:

“Martinez is a left-handed power hitter who possesses all five tools necessary to be considered a potential star in the major leagues.

Fernando is amazing. He has power, he makes contact, he has a great arm, speed and he can field. He possesses the five tools to become a great star,” said Ezequiel Sepulveda, a scout from the Dodgers who followed Martinez for months.

A scout from the Boston Red Sox said that Martinez looks like a young Ted Williams.”

That was posted by Seth Stohs on his site. Seth then added this comment:

“If the Twins can get him, they absolutely should. Clearly this kid is not only immensely talented as an all-around baseball player, but he also has a maturity beyond his years that will help him out.”

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:01 am

Jan 11, 2008 10:06 pm - Note: Santana Has Made no Requests

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

Twins LHP Johan Santana, as quoted yesterday by the News-Press in So. Florida:

“I’m a Minnesota Twin. That’s all I know. It’s up to them. Whatever they have to do is going to happen. It has nothing to do with me at all. I said it from the beginning during the season last year, whatever will be the best for this team and this organization, I’ll agree with that.”

Meanwhile, according to the Associated Press, citing the player’s agent, Santana has never made a request to be traded before pitchers and catchers are set to meet

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:02 am

Mets Guy in Michigan
Metscentric
Lets Blog Mets
Zisk Online Magazine
Mets Mole
Crosstown Rivals
Bad Mets
Bleeding Blue and Orange
Eephus Pitch
Oliver and I
Mets Manor
True to the Orange and Blue
Newspaper Blogs

Neil Best's WatchDog
(newsday)

John Delcos
(journal news)

Steve Popper
(bergen record)

David Lennon
(newsday)

Mark Hale
(new york post)

Ben Shpigel
(new york times)

Adam Rubin
(daily news)

Don Burke
Jeremy Cothran
(star-ledger)

Kevin Kernan
(new york post)

Ken Davidoff
(newsday)

Joel Sherman
(new york post)

Ed Coleman
(wfan.com)

B’Mets Blog
(press & sun bulletin)
Categories
o 1986 Mets
o Aaron Heilman
o Aaron Rowand
o Adam Dunn
o AJ Burnett
o Akinori Otsuka
o Alex Rodriguez
o Ambiorix Burgos
o Andruw Jones
o Andy Pettitte
o Angel Pagan
o Anthony De Rosa
o Bartolo Colon
o Bengie Molina
o Billy Wagner
o Binghamton Mets
o Blog
o Bobby Valentine
o Brandon Eddy
o Braves
o Brian Roberts
o Brian Schneider
o Brooklyn Cyclones
o Bullpen
o Carlos Beltran
o Carlos Delgado
o Carlos Gomez
o Carlos Muniz
o Carlos Silva
o CC Sabathia
o Chipper Jones
o Chris Mazzone
o Citi Field
o Cliff Floyd
o Cliff Lee
o Curt Schilling
o D.J. Short
o Dan Haren
o Darryl Strawberry
o David Eckstein
o David Wells
o David Wright
o Dontrelle Willis
o Duaner Sanchez
o Endy Chavez
o Erik Bedard
o ESPN
o Evan Drellich
o Fernando Martinez
o Francisco Cordero
o Freddie Garcia
o GameNotes
o Gary Cohen
o Guillermo Mota
o Hiroki Kuroda
o Hot Stove
o Howard Johnson
o Interviews
o Jake Peavy
o Jason Jennings
o JC Romero
o Joe Blanton
o Joe Zwierzynski
o Johan Santana
o John Maine
o johnny estrada
o Jon Garland
o Jon Lieber
o Jordan Zakarin
o Jorge Posada
o Jorge Sosa
o Jose Guillen
o Jose Reyes
o Jose Valentin
o Juan Padilla
o Kaz Matsui
o Keith Hernandez
o Ken Oberkfell
o Kenshin Kawakami
o Kevin Mulvey
o Kosuke Fukudome
o Kris Benson
o kyle lohse
o Lastings Milledge
o Lee Mazzilli
o Livan Hernandez
o Luis Alen
o Luis Castillo
o Mailbag
o Marcus Giles
o Mariano Rivera
o Mark Prior
o Mark Teixeira
o Marlon Anderson
o Matt Wise
o Matthew Cerrone
o MeetUp
o Mets
o Mets Podcast
o Mets Rumors
o MetsBlog
o Miguel Cabrera
o Mike Cameron
o Mike Carp
o Mike Nichols
o Mike Pelfrey
o Minors
o MLB Steroids
o Moises Alou
o Mr. Met
o Noah Lowry
o Octavio Dotel
o Oliver Perez
o Omar Minaya
o Orlando Hernandez
o Orlando Hudson
o Pat Burrell
o Paul Lo Duca
o Pedro Feliciano
o Pedro Martinez
o Philip Humber
o Phillies
o Podcast
o Poll
o Ramon Castro
o Ramon Hernandez
o Regis Courtemanche
o Rich Harden
o Rick Peterson
o Rickey Henderson
o Ron Darling
o Ruben Gotay
o Rudy Jaramillo
o Ryan Church
o Scott Kazmir
o Scott Schoeneweis
o Shawn Green
o Shea Stadium
o SNY
o Stats
o Steroids
o Tadihito Iguchi
o Tim Lincecum
o Tom Glavine
o Torii Hunter
o Uncategorized
o Victor Zambrano
o WFAN
o Willie Randolph
o Yankees
o Yorvit Torrealba
o YouTube

January 2008 M T W T F S S
« Dec
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Note: Santana Has Made no Requests

Twins LHP Johan Santana, as quoted yesterday by the News-Press in So. Florida:

“I’m a Minnesota Twin. That’s all I know. It’s up to them. Whatever they have to do is going to happen. It has nothing to do with me at all. I said it from the beginning during the season last year, whatever will be the best for this team and this organization, I’ll agree with that.”

Meanwhile, according to the Associated Press, citing the player’s agent, Santana has never made a request to be traded before pitchers and catchers are set to meet.
Posted in Mets on January 11th, 2008
RSS 2.0 Both comments and pings are currently closed.

RSS feed
6 Comments
Comment by ReyesRocks
2008-01-11 22:12:33

Geez!
It just wouldn’t be right to go the WHOLE day beleiving we’re gonna get Santana now would it?
Reply to this comment
Comment by plummetdown
2008-01-11 22:16:10

twins aren’t trading him….=/
Reply to this comment

Comment by BlueTrane
2008-01-11 22:26:33

Thats what someone says when they know they will be traded….
Reply to this comment

Comment by mets17
2008-01-11 22:27:01

Those comments by Santana don’t mean anything, I believe the press more when it comes to this than the players.
Reply to this comment
Comment by mets17
2008-01-11 22:28:56

Just look at every coach who has ever left there team, Herm Edwards, Bobby Petrino, Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheat, they all said they wre sticking with their team but then they bailed.
Reply to this comment

Comment by Potvin Sucks
2008-01-11 22:30:05

His comments mean nothing. He’s not gonna come out and say I’m going to be traded to the Mets, Yankees or Red Sox. So for all those people who read the quote and now think that the Mets don’t have a chance to get him….just F’n relax! It’s nothing…..
Reply to this comment

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
« Buzz: Lohse Lowers His Demands

Mets Sites & Boards

news

Inside Pitch Magazine Online
MetsFanClub.com
NY Sports Day
Gotham Baseball Magazine
Shea Baseball
Ultimate Mets Database
Very Unofficial Mets Site
MightyMets.com

message boards

Happy Recap
Mets Board
ProSportsDaily
Other MLB Blogs

Baseball Digest Daily

new york sports

NY Baseball Online

Subway Heroes

phillies

Phillies Nation

Phillies Flow

Beer Leaguer

braves

Braves Journal

nationals

NatFanatics.com

Federal Baseball

Ball Wonk

marlins

Marlins Today

Fishstripes

Deep Fried Fish Blog

minor leagues

Minor League Ball

Around the Minors w/ Mayo

stats

FanGraphs.com

The Baseball Cube Blog

The Hardball Times

Statistically Speaking

fantasy baseball

RotoAuthority

other baseball teams

Athletics Nation
(oakland a's)

Catfish Stew
(oakland a's)

Dodger Thoughts
(dodgers)

Aaron Gleeman
(mostly twins)

Bat-Girl
(twins)

Yankees 2000: Promote the Curse
(anti-yankees commentary)

Yankees Chick
(pro-yankees commentary)

Bronx Banter
(yankees)

CardNilly.com
(stl cardinals)

Drays Bay
(devil rays)

Pearly Gates
(angels)

U.S.S. Mariner
(mariners)

beat writer blogs

Braves w/ Dave O'Brien

Red Sox w/ Gordon and Chris

Angels w/ Mark Saxon

Yankees w/ Pete Abraham

Order Yankees World Series Tickets, Red Sox World Series Tickets, Cubs World Series Tickets, Angels World Series Tickets, Phillies World Series Tickets and Indians World Series Tickets from GOtickets.com
Coast to Coast
Coast to Coast tickets carries MLB tickets for all teams including Mets tickets in New York. We also have great Yankees tickets for sale. For the NFL fan we have premium New York Giants tickets and the best Jets tickets in town!
MTC

MTC Tickets

We offer the best New York Mets Tickets, Yankees Tickets, Boston Red Sox Tickets, St. Louis Cardinals Tickets, and all other Events Tickets.
Online Seats

Worlds Series Tickets
New York Mets Tickets
Yankees Tickets
Red Sox Tickets
Concert Tickets
Prime

MLB Baseball Tickets
NY Mets Tickets
NY Yankees Tickets
Red Sox Tickets
New York Tickets

NFL Football Tickets
Concert Tickets
Broadway Tickets
Sports Tickets
Ticket Broker
ACE

Mets Tickets
Yankees Tickets
Jets Tickets
Giants Tickets
Sports Tickets
Ticket Specialists

Mets Tickets
New York Concerts
NY Jets Tickets
Wicked Tickets New York
Baseball Tickets
Ticko

Get your New York Mets tickets and 2007 World Series tickets at TickCo.com tickets! Your source for Jets tickets and Giants tickets too
BetUS
BetUS online Sportsbook - America's favorite sports betting web site for baseball betting, football betting and lots more sports betting action.
Ticket Solutions

New York Mets Tickets
Yankees Baseball
New York Concert Tickets
Broadway Tickets
World Series Tickets
World

Worldticketshop
Football Tickets
Real Madrid Tickets
FC Barcelona Tickets
Arsenal Tickets
Chelsea Tickets
Manchester United Tickets
Internazionale Tickets
AC Milan Tickets
Premiership Tickets
Concert Tickets
Casino Gambling Web
If you like gambling online, read our online casino reviews, or check out some of the best online casinos. All information on Casino Gambling Web is professionally written and edited.
TicketsNow
Search for MLB Tickets and all Tickets through the largest online inventory at TicketsNow!
BuySellTix
Don’t miss your chance to catch the best deals on your very ownMets Tickets or other events Tickets!
StubHub

StubHub.com is the place to find all Baseball Tickets from Mets Tickets to Yankees Tickets.

Stubhub also has NFL Tickets from Giants Tickets to Jets Tickets.

Buy or Sell your Tickets today.
Barry's

Excellent New York Yankees Tickets for cheap prices - Also offers Heat Tickets plus Suns Tickets - providing Raiders Tickets and cheap Broncos Tickets.
TicketCity

New York Mets tickets
World Series tickets
US Open Tennis tickets
Christmas Spectacular tickets
Ticket Liquidator
We are your Mets tickets source. We also have top seats at New York Jets, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys, and Pittsburgh Steelers.
ABC

ABC tickets has NY Mets tickets for all Mets games at Shea Stadium including Philadelphia Phillies tickets, New York Yankees mlb tickets, Boston Red Sox mlb tickets and Chicago Cubs mlb tickets.
Vivid

Ticket Broker

Vivid Seats buys and sells Baseball Game Tickets, Mets Season Tickets at Shea, NY Yankees MLB Tickets, Boston Red Sox Games.

We also sell Giants Football Tickets, Jets Games in NY, Knicks Basketball Tickets, and Rangers NHL Hockey Tickets.
Cheap Premium Tickets
Mets tickets
Yankees tickets
Red Sox tickets
Cubs tickets
World Series tickets
Zippy

Zippytickets for Great Mets Tickets and Yankees Tickets. Great Seats for Chicago White Sox and Boston Red Sox Tickets.

MetsBlog.com is proudly powered by WordPress and WPDesigner.

MetsBlog.com is owned and operated by Matthew Cerrone.

MetsBlog.com publishes both rumor and opinion, as well as accurately reported information from other sources. Information on MetsBlog.com may contain errors or inaccuracies - links to content and the quotation of material from other news sources are not the responsibility of MetsBlog.com.

MetsBlog.com and Matthew Cerrone are not responsible for what is written by non-MetsBlog.com writers within the site�s comment�s section.

Site Meter

Check Page Ranking

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:04 am

Minaya goes back to work on Johan

BY DAVID LENNON | david.lennon@newsday.com
January 12, 2008

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmets125535506jan12,0,2639980.story?track=rss

Mets general manager Omar Minaya returned Friday from his goodwill visit to Israel and spent most of the day getting up to speed with the staff members who stayed behind. At the top of Minaya's to-do list in the five weeks that remain before spring training is acquiring a starting pitcher, and the first choice, obviously, is Johan Santana.

Not much had changed since Minaya left the country a week earlier. But in the process of continuing talks with the Twins, the Mets soon may have a better idea where they stand in the Santana derby. As of Thursday, team officials were not even convinced that Twins GM Bill Smith finally had backed off his demand for Jose Reyes.

That he eventually will back off is inevitable, because Smith needs the Mets to stay in the race for Santana. But the price in prospects, as well as dollars for a contract extension, will be steep. The Twins must compensate for the Mets' lack of major league-ready talent by asking for a broader package of players, and as long as the Yankees and Red Sox stay on the sideline, the clock is working in Minaya's favor.

More and more, it appears that Santana is pressuring the Twins to move him before the start of spring training, and that means Smith eventually will have to choose. Yankees owner Hank Steinbrenner has waffled recently on Santana, but as soon as the Mets or Red Sox get serious, that should revive his interest.

Smith reportedly was close to pulling the trigger on a trade with the Red Sox during the winter meetings, partly because of Steinbrenner's ultimatum that a deal had to get done by Dec. 3 or the Yankees would pull their offer from the table, which didn't stick anyway.

As long as the Red Sox offer Jon Lester as the headliner of their offer and the Yankees dangle Phil Hughes, both teams seem to have an edge on the Mets. But the Mets intend to aggressively pursue a Santana trade in the coming weeks and believe they can get a deal done on their terms.

Tied into any trade is Santana's desire for a lengthy contract extension - somewhere in the seven-year, $140-million range - but the three teams involved are reluctant to go that high. The Mets refuse to go beyond five years for a starting pitcher because they consider it a bad investment, regardless of the resume. But they do have a good relationship with Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg - who also represents Reyes - and the two sides could get creative on a more palatable contract with vesting options.

Mets put seven-packs on sale. On Friday the Mets launched 2008 seven-game Ticket Packs, which are the only way fans can guarantee themselves tickets to Shea's last Opening Day, games against the Yankees or the last regular- season game at Shea. The packs are titled Opener, Champion, Shea Goodbye, Jose-Jose-Jose, Family, Rival, All-Star and Power. For more information on the ticket packs, fans can visit mets.com or call (718) 507-TIXX.

More articles

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:12 am

Mets general manager Omar Minaya, who just returned from a week-long goodwill trip to Israel, declined to elaborate on the trade talks with Minnesota.

"All I can tell you," Minaya said via cell phone last night, "is that the choice is between major-league guys or prospects."

And that's how the Mets' offer to the Twins will remain -- strictly just prospects. The Mets will not include Jose Reyes in any deal for Santana, despite speculation that he remains a sticking point for Smith. So far, the Mets have reportedly offered OF Carlos Gomez, RHP Kevin Mulvey, RHP Philip Humber and RHP Deolis Guerra, the team's top pitching prospect from Class-A St. Lucie.

The Twins have also reportedly asked for top outfield prospect Fernando Martinez. The Mets are reluctant to include their No. 1 minor-leaguer, but there is feeling among the Mets hierarchy that the necessary steps -- a loaded package of the team's top prospects -- should be taken to acquire a two-time Cy Young winner. The belief is also that money is not a hindrance, despite Santana's wish for a long-term contract extension, that could cost as much as $140 million over seven years.

According to a person close to Santana, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak for him, the left-handed pitcher would prefer the trade be finalized before Opening Day, mostly to avoid the logistical nightmare of moving during the season.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1200116145183390.xml&coll=1

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:13 am

The ball is in the Minnesota Twins' court now.

That is the way the Mets are viewing their ongoing discussions with the Twins regarding the acquisition of ace pitcher Johan Santana. Talks are serious, leaving Twins general manager Bill Smith the option of picking the Mets' prospect-loaded package or going with major-league ready options dangled by the Yankees and Red Sox.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya, who just returned from a week-long goodwill trip to Israel, declined to elaborate on the trade talks with Minnesota.

"All I can tell you," Minaya said via cell phone last night, "is that the choice is between major-league guys or prospects."

And that's how the Mets' offer to the Twins will remain -- strictly just prospects. The Mets will not include Jose Reyes in any deal for Santana, despite speculation that he remains a sticking point for Smith. So far, the Mets have reportedly offered OF Carlos Gomez, RHP Kevin Mulvey, RHP Philip Humber and RHP Deolis Guerra, the team's top pitching prospect from Class-A St. Lucie.

The Twins have also reportedly asked for top outfield prospect Fernando Martinez. The Mets are reluctant to include their No. 1 minor-leaguer, but there is feeling among the Mets hierarchy that the necessary steps -- a loaded package of the team's top prospects -- should be taken to acquire a two-time Cy Young winner. The belief is also that money is not a hindrance, despite Santana's wish for a long-term contract extension, that could cost as much as $140 million over seven years.

~Star Ledger

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:29 am

If the Mets can really get Santana for Martinez, Gomez, Guerilla, Pelfrey and Humber they should do it, no questions asked. reasons below!

1. the Mets need him more than the Yankees or Red Sox do, the Yankees (Wang) and Red Sox (Beckett) both have an ace, along with a very good #2 pitcher (pettitte, matsuzaka), meanwhile the Mets lost Glavine.

2. Pelfrey and Humber are not that highly regarded anymore, besides with a rotation of Santana, Maine, Pedro to some extent and Perez, the Mets would probably have the best rotation in the NL.

3. Martinez is still a long ways away, the Mets have that guy in CF named Carlos Beltran, who likely won't be going anywhere for a very long time seeing as he's only 29.

4. The Mets core would be built around Johan Santana/John Maine as their pitchers, and Reyes/Wright/Beltran as their offense..

5. Mets would be losing 2 outfielders who are a dime a dozen to find on the free agent market (just look at next years crop)

6. The Mets failed to make the playoffs last year, blowing a huge lead in the division because of their pitching. Santana would also be able to go deep for them which allows them to not have to have a dominant pen.

7. The mets would easily be the favorites to represent the NL in the World Series.

8. WIth Johan/Maine/Perez the Mets would be able to compete and dominate the NL for at least 4-5 more years

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:31 am

Currently we sit at pick number 6. I'd love a trade down with Chicago for their 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks. Chicago jumps ahead of the Ravens to be able to take a QB for the future.

So, in the first 3 rounds we'd have these picks:

I'm not going to mock a draft past the 3rd round, because by then it's all going to be BPA.

So here we are:

14. Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
37. Pat Sims, DT, Auburn
45. Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon St.
68. Josh Barrett, FS, Arizona St.
99. Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska
107. Kenny Iwbema, DE/OLB, Iowa

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:34 am

onn Trost, Lawyer Up!

Via the Gothamist:

Elsewhere, someone's suing the Yankees, but based on the $221 in damages he wants, the Yankees should still be able to afford Alex Rodriguez. The claimant brought suit in a small-claims court in Brooklyn. He wants a refund for five tickets from 2002-2007 -- including one from a game against Barry Bonds and the Giants and another from Game 2 of the 2003 World Series -- because the Yankees broke their implicit promise to provide a fair and honest game. Everyone knows what Bonds is accused of, and Pettitte started that World Series game. We assume the claimant, whose last name is Mitchell, is not related to Senator George Mitchell.

There's an implicit promise to provide a fair and honest game?

Does this mean I can get a refund for all those Kei Igawa starts that I went to last year?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:39 am

Sources: Arkansas' McFadden to declare for NFL draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3192816

Todd McShay Breaks Down McFadden's Move to the NFL

Tailback Darren McFadden, the University of Arkansas star runner who finished as the Heisman Trophy runner-up in each of the past two seasons, will forego his final season of college eligibility and enter the 2008 NFL draft, ESPN.com has learned.

Multiple sources said McFadden's father, Graylon McFadden, dispatched the appropriate paperwork to the NFL office early this week. The decision by one of the college game's most electrifying performers to leave school a year early and pursue a professional career was hardly unexpected.

League and team officials, by policy, are precluded from commenting on underclass players who have petitioned for early draft entry until after the deadline for doing so has passed. The deadline is Jan. 15, and the NFL will release a full list of underclass prospects after that.

While it is still early in the evaluation process for the April 26-27 draft, many league scouts feel that McFadden could be the most talented prospect in the player pool.

The Miami Dolphins own the top overall selection, but given the franchise's many needs, they could trade the choice for additional picks. Where McFadden is chosen could depend on the respective needs of the franchises choosing in the very early stages of the first round, but he is expected to be a top five pick.

Draft eligible

Who's decided to leave college before their senior season to enter the NFL draft? Here's the list.

McFadden, 20, appeared in 30 games for the Razorbacks in three seasons, and carried 785 times for 4,590 yards and 41 touchdowns. He also had 46 receptions for 365 yards and two touchdowns. In each of the last two seasons, McFadden rushed for over 1,600 yards. He rushed for 1,830 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2007.

The North Little Rock, Ark., native holds the school record for single-season and career rushing yards. A three-time All-American, McFadden won the Doak Walker Award as the country's top running back for both 2006 and 2007.

Citing league rules that prohibit discussing underclass prospects before the NFL deems them officially eligible for the draft, scouts contacted late Friday night declined to comment for attribution about McFadden's potential draft status. But the feeling is that McFadden could produce the same kind of immediate impact in the league that Minnesota Vikings first-round pick Adrian Peterson did this season.

Peterson last week was chosen as the league's 2007 offensive rookie of the year.

Some scouts, however, did note that teams interested in choosing McFadden will investigate an early Thursday incident in which he was briefly handcuffed and then released following a disturbance outside of a Little Rock piano bar that was described by a police spokesperson as "a pretty rowdy scene."

No charges have been filed against McFadden. His mother, Mini Muhammad, said that her son was protecting his younger brother, Daryl, in the fracas.

Late in the season, a local television station reported that sports agent Mike Conley, a former track and field star, had arranged for McFadden to purchase a Cadillac Escalade. The station subsequently backed off the report, and McFadden termed the story "uncalled for."

Conley is not certified to represent NFL Players, the NFL Players Association confirmed for ESPN.com on Friday. The players union is the body which accredits agents and Conley, who applied for certification last year, apparently did not meet the requirements. Conley cannot become certified before the draft.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:40 am

Sources: Arkansas' McFadden to declare for NFL draft
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Friday, January 11, 2008

Tailback Darren McFadden, the University of Arkansas star runner who finished as the Heisman Trophy runner-up in each of the past two seasons, will forego his final season of college eligibility and enter the 2008 NFL draft, ESPN.com has learned. Multiple sources said McFadden's father, Graylon McFadden, dispatched the appropriate paperwork to the NFL office early this week. The decision by one of the college game's most electrifying performers to leave school a year early and pursue a profess ...

Read full story

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
0 / 1500
Cancel
Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.

* Comments (31-80)
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (11 minutes ago)
Report Violation | Ignore User
Petrino has a bad rap for leaving Atlanta but hes making all the right moves to install a good team and staff at Arkansas. I would like to see Arkansas throw the ball for a change.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (14 minutes ago)
I liked Nutt and don't blame him for leaving when fans start getting into your personal life you have to draw the line the whole cell phone record thing was fans accusing him of cheating on his wife.
o
Nikcanermedley22
Nikcanermedley22 (15 minutes ago)
Samrt move by McFadden. It's a shame that Felix is leaving too though. He could've had a run at the heisman next year, cant really blame him though w/ the mess thats came around w/ the coaching staff. Best of luck to D McFadden. As a Florida fan I watched SEC ball a lot and he was one of the best I've ever seen, hes gonna be a stud.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (17 minutes ago)
I believe it will Martin and Arkansas was ill coached in the Cotton bowl and anyone keeping up with hogball would know that but we lost and no excuse's.
o
dutut205775
dutut205775 (18 minutes ago)
so how do you Hog fans feel about Bobby Petrino. I think you guys will miss Houston Nutt, bigtime. I could be wrong. but Bobby Petrino. I think the SEC is gonna shove itself right up Petrino's backside. You guy should have appreciated Nutt more. he's gonna have a great program down at Ole Miss. and what happened to Arkansas in the Bowl game???? that was crazy how the season ended. Arkansas beats LSU, all their players are acting like they won the Super Bowl, saying, "it's not Our Kansas, it's Arkansas." then they end up playing the former #1 team and getting blown out, while LSU goes onto win the national title. I've never heard of anything so bizarre. Erik Ainge shouldn't have thrown those picks in the SEC title game
o
ChristensenMartin
ChristensenMartin (20 minutes ago)
Definitely, i mean think about it...Jerry Jones, since last year, has been planning for this moment, that's why he wanted 2 first round picks for this draft, unfortunately the Browns weren't much help...also, Jeff Ireland, the former GM of the Cowboys was let go without compensation from the Dolphins. i think there is something going behind closed doors, and i can't wait to see it unravel on draft day.
o
dutut205775
dutut205775 (21 minutes ago)
so the SEC went 7-2 in bowls did they. how did Arkansas end up playing Missouri???
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (25 minutes ago)
wow they took off the OSU LSU conversation post.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (28 minutes ago)
Hey Martin that guarantee would sound good if it came from Jerry himself. I wish.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (30 minutes ago)
WOW its getting deep up in here lol.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (32 minutes ago)
Too bad for the hogs that letter all them pros signed that used to play for tenn came before the hog game I think they lit a fire.
o
ChristensenMartin
ChristensenMartin (33 minutes ago)
p.e.c.k.e.r....i can do whatever i want j.er.k of.f if i want to guarantee* something, then i will. so back the f,u.c.k off. its people like you that make posting comments unpleasant, i was just adding excitement to the true cowboys fans...just get the h.e.ll out of here, you don't belong here dudette
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (38 minutes ago)
I also love his new commercial that is awsome the way he takes the headset away.
o
dutut205775
dutut205775 (38 minutes ago)
notice how A John, never showed back up. I am a Tennessee graduate. my fault. but I love the way DMAC and Felix run the ball. we handled them this year (mainly cause Felix got hurt) but last year they took it to us. people like AJOHN are just TERRIBLE. get on here, make a dumb comment, then get called out on it, and don't even have the intelligence to respond. just making themselves look like a total moron. good job AJOHN. great comment, good follow up and rebuttal to criticism. LOL
o
becker6288
becker6288 (39 minutes ago)
well then martin...dont turn your "speculation" into a guarentee and i wouldnt call you ignorant. and you really must be ignorant if you think i've never heard the #### joke.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (40 minutes ago)
I bet you Jerry has his eye on that back well you know he does.
o
I_LuV_NuMbA_85
I_LuV_NuMbA_85 (41 minutes ago)

lol, I'd pass at paying money to watch a game there, at the superdome that is.

Yeah if you go to stadiumsofnfl.com, you can see what the new cowboys stadium design is becker. You gotta love Jerry, he had to out do everyone lol.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (42 minutes ago)
Well I hope he goes to the Boys too.
o
ChristensenMartin
ChristensenMartin (43 minutes ago)
Pe*ker.... i mean becker...it's not ignorant because it hasn't happened year; it's called speculation, and every fan can speculate until draft day.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (43 minutes ago)
I think you can actually watch the game from outside the stadium.
o
mobywvu
mobywvu (45 minutes ago)
shock of the decade here, folks
o
I_LuV_NuMbA_85
I_LuV_NuMbA_85 (45 minutes ago)
Hell, that stadium could host the BCS title game, get it away from a home game for sec teams like georgia and lsu. Besides superdome doesnt look like a good spot to see a game, you look really far away from the field from the side lol.
o
becker6288
becker6288 (45 minutes ago)
whats so special bout the new stadium?
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (47 minutes ago)
I think it is revelutionary it is awsome and will put the Cotton Bowl in the BCS as well.
o
I_LuV_NuMbA_85
I_LuV_NuMbA_85 (50 minutes ago)
hogfanz- speakinf of jerry knowing how to make money, how about that new stadium. My friend is a boys fan and he is estatic about the new stadium, it is sick though. Colts new one next yr is wild too.
o
becker6288
becker6288 (51 minutes ago)
wow christensenmartin... .kind of confident that the #1 overall will be traded. thats king of ignorant to be honest. but nice imagination. good point with felix, although i think he'll stay in college. give himself a year in petrino's offense to vault his draft status i'd say. or he might go with the money, couldnt blame him.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (56 minutes ago)
Plus Jerry Jones knows how to sell merchandise and tickets he might want to get in on some of that Arkansas support money being that Arkansas has no pro team but the one thier favorite player goes to.
o
WildHog07
WildHog07 (56 minutes ago)
Mcfadden is faster than Felix, thats a fact. Julius Jones in my opinion is at best, an average nfl halfback. When Parcells was there, to me it was like an episode of twilight zone. I could not understand why Jones always won the starting job and got more carries. I am glad Wade Phillips or Garrett is giving Barber the most carries now.
o
I_LuV_NuMbA_85
I_LuV_NuMbA_85 (58 minutes ago)
Well Julius is in his last yr of his contract, Barber could def be a feature back but a two back system would never hurt. I doubt they resign Julius though, no reason to. Barber is durable and he's an all around back, he can catch the ball, get the hard yards, a 3rd down rb and short yardage back and he does have some speed to him.
o
ChristensenMartin
ChristensenMartin (58 minutes ago)
Here's what will happen on draft day: Cowboys will trade 1st round pick (#31), 3rd round pick, Marcus Spears, and Bobby Carpenter for Dolphins 1st overall pick. Cowboys WILL get McFadden. I guarantee it.
o
hogfan40oz
hogfan40oz (1 hour ago)
Barber is awsome I love watching that guy run I heard somthing like Julius Jones wasn't getting it done for the Cowboys so you never know.
o
I_LuV_NuMbA_85
I_LuV_NuMbA_85 (1 hour ago)
If Felix entered the draft, jerry could get him a lot easier than dmac. Picture it now, "The Barbarian" as the power runner and Felix as the speed back, I believe Jones is faster than D-Mac. Well clocked faster, but we wont know until Monday if Felix is leaving, I cant see him wanting to stay at Arkansas without his good buddy D-Mac around. Man those guys must have no egos, alot of good rbs wouldnt have been able to deal with it, its def a plus to them in the long run.
o

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:43 am

For McNamee and Clemens, a New Dispute

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/12/sports/baseball/12clemens.html?ex=1357880400&en=1db52a1e339f51b1&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Rusty Hardin, right, the lawyer for Roger Clemens, said two Blue Jays trainers failed to back Brain McNamee’s accusation.

Article Tools Sponsored By
By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
Published: January 12, 2008

Brian McNamee told federal authorities last summer that Roger Clemens developed an abscess on his buttocks about the same time that McNamee said he was giving him steroid injections during the 1998 season, according to a lawyer with knowledge of details of the case.
Skip to next paragraph

Keep up with the latest postseason news on The Times’s baseball blog.
Go to the Bats Blog »

From the perspective of McNamee and his lawyers, confirmation that the abscess existed would add credibility to his assertion that he injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone on 16 occasions from 1998 to 2001 and that he specifically injected him with the steroid Winstrol in four instances in 1998. In that year, Clemens was pitching for Toronto and McNamee was the team’s strength and conditioning coach.

Clemens has said that he received injections from McNamee at various times but has maintained that they contained either vitamin B12 or the painkiller lidocaine. Although any needle injection can lead to an abscess, an antidoping expert said that steroid injections in particular are known for creating abscesses.

“It is far less likely that any injection of vitamin B12 or lidocaine, which is usually not injected deep into the body, would have created an abscess,” said Dr. Gary I. Wadler, an internist who is a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency. “Steroid users tend to repetitively inject the drug deep into the muscle and this has been associated with the development of sterile abscess.”

But did Clemens have an abscess in 1998? Three members of the Blue Jays’ organization that season, including one of the team’s two trainers, said in recent interviews that they did not recall any abscess associated with Clemens that year.

In addition, Clemens’s lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said Friday that McNamee had made the same assertion about an abscess to Hardin’s investigators Dec. 12. He said they followed up by contacting both Blue Jays trainers from that season, neither of whom backed McNamee’s account.

If McNamee and his lawyers are unable to obtain confirmation that the abscess existed, McNamee’s credibility, rather than Clemens’s, could come into question in what has become a continuing public battle between Clemens, McNamee and their lawyers.

The lawyer who disclosed McNamee’s assertion to federal authorities said he did not want to be identified because of the sensitivity of any conversation with law-enforcement officials.

Meanwhile, McNamee’s lead lawyer, Earl Ward, said McNamee believed the treatment of the abscess was noted in Clemens’s medical or training records. He also said that McNamee would be willing to testify under oath about the abscess when he appeared before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on Feb. 13.

Clemens is also to appear at the hearing, as is Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte, who has already admitted taking injections of H.G.H., as McNamee asserted in the report on baseball and performance-enhancing drugs that George J. Mitchell released Dec. 13.

Hardin said that his investigators had sought Clemens’s medical records but that he had not yet seen them. Normally, such records travel with a player when he switches teams. Clemens played for the Yankees in 2007, the latest, and perhaps last, stop in a 24-year career. It was McNamee who served as Clemens’s personal trainer in the latter years of his career.

Ward would not acknowledge if McNamee also told Mitchell and his investigators about an abscess. Although the section on Clemens takes up 8 pages of the 311-page Mitchell report and includes fairly detailed accounts of the injections McNamee said he gave Clemens, there is no mention of an abscess.

Hardin said McNamee told his investigators that he did not inform Mitchell about the abscess. “He mentioned the abscess as a way of trying to tell us that he could have made it worse for Roger and that is why he didn’t tell Mitchell,” Hardin said.

Whatever McNamee did or did not tell Mitchell about an abscess, it is now likely to become part of the back and forth between the sides.

“The Clemens camp is engaged in a smear campaign against Brian McNamee,” Ward said. “As part of their investigation, they should focus on Roger’s medical history, which includes the removal of an abscess that he developed in 1998 on his left buttocks, which coincided with shots McNamee gave Clemens of Winstrol.”

In interviews with The New York Times, Tom Craig, a Blue Jays trainer in 1998; Gord Ash, then the team’s general manager; and Dr. Ron Taylor, the team doctor, all said they did not remember Clemens’s being treated for an abscess. Taylor, who remains the team doctor, said he believed it would have been noted in Clemens’s medical records if he had indeed been treated.

Hardin said Craig and Scott Shannon, the other team trainer in 1998, told his investigators that they did not recall Clemens’s being treated for an abscess.

Clemens went 20-6 in 1998, going 14-0 to finish the season after a 6-6 start. If he did have an abscess, it did not cause him to miss any noticeable period of time in a season in which he was awarded his fifth Cy Young award as the best pitcher in the American League

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:54 am

The Cowboys will try to rush the middle against Eli. What are your thoughts?

http://2008playoffs.nytimes.com/matchup/NYG_DAL/defense

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:59 am

HUGHES HAS HAD HIS PHIL OF RUMORS
AP
PrintEmailDigg ItRedditPermalinkStory Bottom

January 12, 2008 -- TAMPA, Fla. - Phil Hughes Phil Hughes keeps hearing the trade rumors. If the Yankees New York Yankees acquire Johan Santana from Minnesota, Hughes wound wind up with the Twins.

"I try to avoid the rumors best I can, but you eventually here it from friends, family and the whole deal," Hughes said after working out yesterday at the Yankees' minor-league complex.

"You never want to hear your name out there, but on the other side, at least it's good to know that other teams think highly of you. I wouldn't say tough winter, but definitely an interesting one."

Hughes, a 21-year-old right-hander, hasn't talked with team officials in Tampa about the trade possibility since his named surfaced in talks in November.

"I actually heard my name out there for the first time from my dad," Hughes said. "Then I just called my agent to see if there's anything to it, and found there was. That's the exact of the contact I've had."

Hughes is focused on the one thing he can control, preparing for the 2008 season. He started a throwing program four weeks ago.

"I want to get on a mound before spring training starts, and maybe get four or five bullpens in," Hughes said. "Physically, everything is good."

Hughes made his major-league debut on April 26 last year and threw 61/3 no-hit innings at Texas five days later before hurting his hamstring. After losing additional time to an ankle injury, Hughes finished with a 5-3 record and a 4.46 ERA. He was 3-0 with a 2.66 ERA in his final four starts and also threw 32/3 scoreless innings for a playoff win over Cleveland out of the bullpen.

Two other pitching prospects, Humberto Sanchez Humberto Sanchez and Andrew Brackman, are taking part in throwing programs after elbow ligament replacement surgery last year.

Sanchez, one of three pitchers obtained from Detroit for outfielder Gary Sheffield, expects to throw off a mound by late next month.

Sanchez, who had surgery April 18, could be ready for minor-league games in May.

Brackman, the Yankees' first- round pick in the 2007 amateur draft, is scheduled to start throwing from 90 feet next week. The 6-foot-10, 240-pound right-hander from North Carolina State had surgery on Aug. 24 and was expected to be sidelined 12-to-18 months.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:00 am

Not much had changed since Minaya left the country a week earlier. But in the process of continuing talks with the Twins, the Mets soon may have a better idea where they stand in the Santana derby. As of Thursday, team officials were not even convinced that Twins GM Bill Smith finally had backed off his demand for Jose Reyes.
That he eventually will back off is inevitable, because Smith needs the Mets to stay in the race for Santana. But the price in prospects, as well as dollars for a contract extension, will be steep. The Twins must compensate for the Mets' lack of major league-ready talent by asking for a broader package of players, and as long as the Yankees and Red Sox stay on the sideline, the clock is working in Minaya's favor.
More and more, it appears that Santana is pressuring the Twins to move him before the start of spring training, and that means Smith eventually will have to choose.
Smith reportedly was close to pulling the trigger on a trade with the Red Sox during the winter meetings, partly because of Steinbrenner's ultimatum that a deal had to get done by Dec. 3 or the Yankees would pull their offer from the table, which didn't stick anyway.
Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/met...brittany_spears

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next