Huston Street's available?

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: Huston Street's available?

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:24 am

* ESPN.com | MyESPN | Profile | Inbox (3) | Register | Forgot: Password Member Name | Member Services | Not virgilio?
Member Name: Welcome, virgilio | Sign Out Password:

* Profile Home

* Conversations
* Welcome Screen
* Profile Search

Junior running back Jones to join McFadden, head to NFL
By Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Arkansas junior running back Felix Jones plans to declare for the NFL draft at a news conference on Monday, two sources briefed on the decision said Sunday night. Jones and junior teammate Darren McFadden, each of whom topped 1,000 yards rushing this season, could both be taken in the first round of the next NFL draft. Jones, 6 feet, 207 pounds, averaged 8.7 yards per carry and scored 11 rushing touchdowns. He is also a proven threat as a returner. Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.

Read full story

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
0 / 1500
Cancel
Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.

* Comments (1-42)
o
tgheen1
tgheen1 (2 hours ago)
Report Violation | Ignore User
Lets see who had the better year, Felix Jones got the ball 133 times and ended up with 1162 yards. McFadden got the ball 325 times and ended up with 1830 yards. Just think if Felix didnt get two hundred less carries. And people Petrino has had a balanced offense in the past, he is pass first but the running backs still get the ball. We also have little Smith who runs the 40 in like 4.35 and have some stud running back recruits. We will be okay at the running back position. Good luck Jones and McFadden.
o
Y2SJK
Y2SJK (3 hours ago)
Throw Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber in the mix too as the best duo of college backs in recent memory.
o
XD Pistole Pete
XD Pistole Pete (3 hours ago)
McFadden, Jones, and Hillis were definitely the best RB trio in the past decade in the NCAA! D Mac and Jones will make their respective teams glad they drafted them... P. Hillis is also going to play on Sundays next year or the year after if he stays healthy. All the Petrino bashers need to make up w/ their boyfriends and stop drinking Haterade (not to mention c__) lol Relax, M. Vick will be outta Leavenworth in about 16 months w/ good behavior, and ya'll are just loaded w/ talented and high moral players!! BTW, that was sarcasem, atl idiots.
AMF!!
o
WooPigSooie06
WooPigSooie06 (3 hours ago)
yea, saw this coming a week ago... he had already cleaned out his apartment here in Fayetteville. There goes Arkansas' 1-2 punch. Sad, sad year to be a Razorback student/fan... maybe I should just transfer to Arkansas State haha
o
AsphaltAbuse
AsphaltAbuse (4 hours ago)
This would be a good move by Jones. He needs to take off while he's still a first round pick. Next year defenses would do nothing but load the box against him. Without a decent pass offense he'd risk dropping his stock. Get the money while you can!
o
br3w3d
br3w3d (4 hours ago)
jamaal charles needs to come back....too many backs out there
o
MadBrownSkillz
MadBrownSkillz (4 hours ago)
On behalf of all Falcons fans I would like to offer a sincere F You to Bobby Petrino. Hope the Razorbacks suck for years to come. Oh wait, Petrino doesn't stay anywhere for "years". Never mind.
o
MattFS37
MattFS37 (5 hours ago)
throw lendale white and reggie bush in the mix too as the best duo of college backs in recent memory
o
MattFS37
MattFS37 (5 hours ago)
which is the better pair? felix jones and darren mcfadden or cadillac williams and ronnie brown at auburn?
o
texas8207
texas8207 (5 hours ago)
I love it that is what Patrino gets loss all your good players try to recruit 5 stars with that crap you pulled in atl.
o
durham_standup
durham_standup (5 hours ago)
petrino doesn't use the run much anyway, right?
o
ChristensenMartin
ChristensenMartin (5 hours ago)
And McFadden had a monster game against LSU this year
o
wrigleyfield123
wrigleyfield123 (5 hours ago)
not sure about "outplayed" mcfadden every single game", but felix is not given his due when compared to Mcfadden. I think mcfadden is better without Jones than jones without mcfadden. but I think felix is a great back and can due very well in the NFL at a number of things.
o
wrigleyfield123
wrigleyfield123 (5 hours ago)
if I were jones, unless I was sure I was going first rnd, I might stick in college for another year. HE would get the ball a TON considering everything the Hogs are losing on offense. The offensive line should be one of the BEST in the COUNTRY...and there seem to be a ton of running backs leaving school early to enter the draft this year. He could really be top one or two in the country next year and get drafted even higher. Every spot is worth a few million right?? Then again, I would probably go to if I knew I was going to make 10 to 20 million..what reallydo the 25 to 32 range picks make with first contract????
o
chompah99
chompah99 (5 hours ago)
That is because when McFadden came out of the game the defenses didn't keep all their defenders in the box.
o
JMG333
JMG333 (5 hours ago)
I find it difficult to imagine that no one else sees this, but Felix Jones ran circles around Darren McFadden this season. He outplayed him in every single game this season w/ the exception of maybe the bowl game.
o
brotherjukebox
brotherjukebox (5 hours ago)
jones would help dallas alot especially on special teams
o
NRWskinny
NRWskinny (5 hours ago)
Dallas needs to address the secondary ASAP... I think they will use Jones as trade bait to pick up a OL or another DB..
o
rumblingbeanie
rumblingbeanie (5 hours ago)
the backs are in super duper big trouble for next year
thats pretty good huh espn worldwide leader in sports
o
ChristensenMartin
ChristensenMartin (5 hours ago)
I think the cowboys should trade anything they can for McFadden, then go out and sign Asante Samuel to replace a depleted cowboys secondary. The Boys need to win now!
o
Stumoney4Hogs
Stumoney4Hogs (6 hours ago)
No one is underatted when they are projected late first round, but i see him doing well, he has the vision and tenacity to do well. Maybe jones well go to Cowboys, there draft pick falls around his projection. A 1-2 punch with Marion the Barbarion would fit his style..Fo sho
o
NRWskinny
NRWskinny (6 hours ago)
Yeah I hear you about Williams--i remember a monday night game about 2 years ago, and the announcer said Williams takes bad angles and can't cover well--cept for horse-collar tackling!!
o
ChristensenMartin
ChristensenMartin (6 hours ago)
I think the cowboys would include some draft picks, including atleast one of their 1st rounders, and Roy williams!!! i want him out of there, especially after today.
o
gatorchamps09
gatorchamps09 (6 hours ago)
it looks like next college season will be a lot of new names dominating the running game, with slaton gone too. i hope jones does well, always like to see SEC players succeed. i think mcfadden would fit well in with dallas, he certainly would be better than jones (julius) nd probably barber too....especially considering today
o
NRWskinny
NRWskinny (6 hours ago)
I wonder how much Dallas would be willing to give for that number one pick?
o
ChristensenMartin
most mock drafts have him going to the cowboys...but after tonight's big loss, i think Jerry Jones will do everything in his power to draft McFadden. what do you guys think?
o
NRWskinny
NRWskinny (6 hours ago)
kinda like the Lendale white/ Reggie Bush situation as well.. Its good to see them leave now, as the "life for a RB is about 10 years tops..
o
surf_report
surf_report (6 hours ago)
well the nature of the NFL game now is that you need AT LEAST TWO good running backs to have a successful running game....he will definetly get picked up and have a chance to make an impact as a running back not just a kick returner
o
insanoblaze
insanoblaze (6 hours ago)
id rather see him play for the hogs next year....it'll help the team and his stock will be higher next year that there won,t be as many backs going pro as this year....
o
TUCKER3434
TUCKER3434 (6 hours ago)
Wow, so the Razorbacks' whole team is leaving. If it weren't for mcfadden and jones they would have been ole miss.
o
ChristensenMartin
Dallas Cowboys...maybe? I prefer McFadden, but I would be happpy with Jones.
o
shhenry
shhenry (6 hours ago)

If you look at Petrion's offensive balance stats at Lville, you will notice that he actually runs the ball quite a bit. We will be just fine next year-- but with a young team with a lot of holes (thank you Nutt), and a tough sched, we will have a rough season-- but it certainly won't be Petrino's fault.

Jones will def be a steal. He is a GREAT back who was simply overshadowed by Dmac. Sorry to see him go, but go get you some cash!
o
GGear0323
GGear0323 (6 hours ago)
it is funny how all these backs are declaring now but it seems now more than ever, the NFL is littered with talent at the RB position from players to whom nobody gave a second thought, Ryan Grant ans Ahmad Bradshaw are two that come to mind right away
o
j_grooms
j_grooms (6 hours ago)
Well I think this might be about Petrino coming there more than him thinking his draft stock will be very high this year.
o
Ragcanes
Ragcanes (6 hours ago)
He probably believed that he wouldn't be as productive with Petrino as head coach. Arkansas' season is over before it starts.
o
travelingfan
travelingfan (6 hours ago)
The backs are in trouble for next year.
o
Dazfx2
Dazfx2 (7 hours ago)
Damn another tailback declaring early...the draft is saturated with young tailbacks and some of them probably won't get drafted or go way later in the draft than they expected.
o
Yankee Benny
Yankee Benny (7 hours ago)
very similar to the auburn situation of ronnie brown, and caddilac a couple years back. and similar to the situation i just spoke about i think jones will be the better pro player less wear and tear from less carries, best of luck to both of em though, whats with all these underclass RB declaring?
o
I_LuV_NuMbA_85
I_LuV_NuMbA_85 (7 hours ago)

Whoever gets Felix will get a steal, he's got alot of talent. Exceptional speed, he'll def be a returner in the league off 1st bat, he'll probably have to work for a rb position but I can see him getting time.

YES! Petrino doesn't have the 2 man show coming back, whooooaaaa!! I'm pumped, he's a scumbag lol.
o
roxtotheeast
roxtotheeast (7 hours ago)
Felix will do good but some concerns about his consistency.
o
LSUMAVSCOWBOYS
LSUMAVSCOWBOYS (7 hours ago)
Looks like the cupboard may be bare for ol' Petrino.
o
tsessions20018
tsessions20018 (7 hours ago)
Very underrated runner. He will be a good pick up for some team whether it be in the return game, or running the ball.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:30 am

Deadline Set For Santana Deal
Santana will not discuss once ST starts.

By Brad Weiss
TCD Site Publisher
Posted Jan 13, 2008

In this edition of Twins Inside Pitch, we take an in-depth look at the Johan Santana rumors, Francisco Liriano is healthy and ready for Spring Training, Zach Day signs with the Twins, and much more.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I'm starting to wonder myself. I'm starting to waver. Would we want him? Of course. But it would be a tall order." -- Hank Steinbrenner, Yankees

The Twins have taken their time making a decision on where to send Johan Santana. But that time is not unlimited.

The two-time Cy Young winner wants any deal consummated before spring training begins, Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, told the New York Times.

That's more than just an interested opinion, considering Santana owns the right to veto any trade, and presumably would exercise it once he reports to Twins camp in Fort Myers, Fla., in mid-February. Santana has already said, through Greenberg, that he would not approve any trade once the season begins and would declare free agency in November.

That urgency might explain the apparent movement in trade talks in recent days, with the New York Mets emerging as a more serious suitor than earlier in the process. According to a report in The Bergen (N.J.) Record, the Mets have discussed sending a large package of premier prospects -- perhaps including prized 19-year-old outfielder Fernando Martinez, rated as the Mets' top prospect -- for Santana. Martinez "has not been excluded" from the trade talks, a Mets official told the newspaper, as shortstop Jose Reyes was when the talks began.

The Red Sox and Yankees have not changed their position in regard to Santana, and Hank Steinbrenner, son of Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, said he has begun to "waver" on his desire to add the pitcher, who would also demand a $100 million-plus contract extension.

That contract was believed to be a stumbling block for the Mets, but a report in the Star Tribune in Minneapolis said Mets owner Fred Wilpon had given general manager Omar Minaya the green light to pursue Santana.

NOTES, QUOTES:

# LHP Francisco Liriano is on schedule to pitch in spring training and has had no setbacks in his rehabilitation from elbow surgery, the Twins emphasized in early January after rumors circulated around baseball that Liriano might not be ready until midseason. "He's healthy and strong, he's throwing bullpens, and he's not had any troubles," general manager Bill Smith said.
# CF Torii Hunter may be gone, but the Twins will benefit next June from his strong showing the past couple of seasons. When baseball's amateur draft takes place, the Twins, who had only one selection in the top 90 in 2007, will own the 14th pick plus the 27th and 31st selections. The latter two picks are compensation for losing Hunter, whose statistics made him a Class A free agent, to the Angels in November. No. 27 is the Angels' original pick, and No. 31 is the first "sandwich-round" selection between the first and second rounds of the draft.
# RHP Zach Day, nearing full recovery from rotator cuff surgery in 2006, has signed a minor league contract with the Twins and will be given a chance to earn a spot in the starting rotation. Day, who went 1-1 in nine late season starts for Class AAA Omaha in 2007, was one of 17 non-roster players invited to spring training by the Twins. The 29-year-old veteran owns a 21-27 lifetime record in the majors with the Expos, Nationals and Rockies.
# Bert Blyleven, the Twins' TV analyst for the past 11 years, vaulted within sight of eventual election to the Hall of Fame, picking up 76 votes in the 2008 balloting to finish with 61.9 percent of the vote. That's a large step forward for the former Twins' right-hander, who earned only 47.7 percent in 2007. "Maybe the voters are taking a closer look at my record," said Blyleven, who won 287 career games, including 60 shutouts. Another ex-Twin, RHP Jack Morris, finished sixth in the voting, picking up 31 votes to finish with 42.9 percent. Former Minnesota 2B Chuck Knoblauch got one vote.
# RHP Pat Neshek, who has been resting his pitching arm after a disappointing final month in 2007, returned to Minnesota from his Florida home to meet with Twins officials and take part in the team's annual Twins Caravan, promoting the team around Minnesota, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

BY THE NUMBERS: 21 -- Victories in 2007 by starting pitchers (other than Johan Santana) on Minnesota's current roster.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:43 am

Giants-Packers NFC title game

I'm worried about condition of the Giants' secondary, it's going to be difficult for the unit to hold up if the Packers go to a lot of three-receiver sets.

How do you Giants stop Favre and Green Bay Offense who's score 27.4 per game. Favre is throwing the heck out of the deep ball. I think Green Bay Wr Donald Driver is more of a dependable receiver than a deep threat in his ninth season, a pair of young guys -- second-year pro Greg Jennings and rookie James Jones have a big-play mind-sets.

James Jones is a burner, but it's Jennings who plays much quicker than his stopwatch speed, and he has become Favre's go-to guy when the quarterback decides to go down the field. He has averaged nearly 30 yards per touchdown catch.

So the crippled New York secondary versus the Packers' spread looks is one matchup to watch.

Another critical one is how well the New York offensive line handles the Green Bay front seven. The Packers have a lot of depth on the defensive line, and their linebackers are very active.

Middle linebacker Nick Barnett will be a revelation for those who haven't seen him play before. And left end Aaron Kampman, a self-made player, is one of the best two-way defenders in the league. He figures to be a tall test for Giants right tackle Kareem McKenzie.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:50 am

Giants-Packers NFC title game

I'm worried about condition of the Giants' secondary, it's going to be difficult for the unit to hold up if the Packers go to a lot of three-receiver sets.

How do you Giants stop Brett Favre and Green Bay Offense who's score 27.4 per game. Favre is throwing the heck out of the deep ball. I think Green Bay Wr Donald Driver is more of a dependable receiver than a deep threat in his ninth season, a pair of young guys -- second-year pro Greg Jennings and rookie James Jones have a big-play mind-sets.

James Jones is a burner, but it's Jennings who plays much quicker than his stopwatch speed, and he has become Favre's go-to guy when the quarterback decides to go down the field. He has averaged nearly 30 yards per touchdown catch.

The crippled New York secondary versus the Packers' spread looks is one matchup to watch.

Another critical one is how well the New York offensive line handles the Green Bay front seven. The Packers have a lot of depth on the defensive line, and their linebackers are very active.

Middle linebacker Nick Barnett will be a revelation for those who haven't seen him play before. And left end Aaron Kampman, a self-made player, is one of the best two-way defenders in the league. He figures to be a tall test for Giants right tackle Kareem McKenzie

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:51 am

BOYS BURIED BY BIG BLUE!
GIANTS PACK THEIR BAGS FOR GREEN BAY

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01142008/sports/giants/boys_buried_by_big_blue__520354.htm?page=0

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Looks like TO stole a page from Hillary's New Hampshire playbook and tried tears to change the outcome. What a joke they both are! Good going Big Blue. Get the Pack!!!
posted by Big Blue
Click here to comment
PrintEmailDigg ItRedditPermalinkStory Bottom

January 14, 2008 -- IRVING, Texas - As the final in what was a legion of heroes, a vet named R.W. McQuarters R.W. McQuarters , came down with the football in the end zone for the interception heard ‘round the Giants New York Giants football world, an exhale of such immense proportions blew all the way to, well, frigid Green Bay.

That's where the Giants, incredibly and improbably, are headed to compete in an NFC Championship game most onlookers believed they'd get only as close to as their big-screen plasma televisions.

Big Blue Photo Gallery

Post's 'Jess' Helps Giants KO Dallas

Talk About It On The Giants Blog

The season lives on, breathing and vibrant, after an emotional and tense and relentless and exhausting evening last night battling from ahead and then behind and then ahead again and, ultimately, staring down the rival Cowboys and Tony Romo, firing desperately to his array of star-studded weapons, seeking to pick apart a depleted and no-name defensive secondary, hoping to send a dagger into this incredible upset the Giants were fashioning.

And then, it was over. Romo on fourth down, 23 yards from the touchdown he and the Cowboys needed and the Giants were hell-bent to prevent, looked deep for Terry Glenn, singled up with McQuarters, another of those many fill-ins forced to join in on this day. There were nine seconds left when McQuarters came down with the ball and the Giants had a 21-17 victory at Texas Stadium in an NFC Divisional playoff game that was as riveting as most any you're about to see.

“I ain't never wanted to cry in football before but that was the best moment I ever had in football," linebacker Antonio Pierce Antonio Pierce said.

Save the tears and pass the ear-warmers. The Giants, winners of a franchise-record nine consecutive road games, on Sunday face Brett Favre and the Packers at historic Lambeau Field - game-time temperature is expected to be 11 degrees, or colder - in the NFC Championship game for the right to represent the conference in Super Bowl XLII in sunny Glendale, Ariz.

“It's a little premature to be saying the ‘SB' word," center Shaun O'Hara said.

“We'll be an underdog, we'll be the worst team in the NFC Championship history and we'll be happy about it," added guard Chris Snee, whose club is 7-point underdogs. “We'll go in there and we'll fight to the end."

Doubt them at your own risk. This was to be the year of the Cowboys, the No. 1 seed in the NFC, primed and ready but now done and done and the Giants were thrilled to be the team to keep them home. After losing two games during the regular season to the Cowboys, the Giants heard all week why they could not win and then fumed in silence as a mouthy receiver named Patrick Crayton accused them of talking too much to hide the fact they were scared of the Cowboys.

Then the Giants (12-6) took to the field, took a 7-0 lead on Eli Manning's 52-yard catch-and-run touchdown hookup to Amani Toomer slightly more than three minutes into the game and settled in for a titanic struggle. With Manning maturing by the minute, the Giants took the lead for good on a Brandon Jacobs one-yard plunge with 13:29 remaining and then held off the Cowboys, Romo and Terrell Owens once, twice, three times, forcing Owens to tears and leaving the Cowboys (13-4) still searching for their first playoff win since 1996.

“Patrick Crayton, I'll see you next year," said Jacobs, the primary object of Crayton's verbal abuse.

“You know what, I can't say that we love them and they love us," added Michael Strahan. “I hope T.O. has his popcorn ready, maybe he and Crayton can sit in his home theater and watch us next week."

So much could have gone wrong. A defensive backfield playing without a starting cornerback (Sam Madison) and its nickel back (Kevin Dockery) lost another corner, rookie Aaron Ross, in the third quarter to a dislocated shoulder. There were problems hauling down Marion Barber (27-129) and trouble corralling Romo. And the defense could not get off the field.

After Romo hit Owens - playing despite a high left ankle sprain - on a 5-yard scoring pass on the first play of the second quarter, the Cowboys embarked on a gargantuan 20-play, 90-yard drive that took 10:28 off the clock, culminated in Barber's 1-yard touchdown run and left the Giants trailing 14-7 just 47 seconds before halftime when Manning finally got to touch the ball on his 29-yard line.

“We weren't going to take a knee," Manning said.

No, they weren't. Manning in seven plays and a mere 47 seconds got the Giants even on Toomer's second TD grab, a huge momentum boost going into the half.

Nick Folk's 34-yard field goal midway through the third quarter put the Cowboys ahead 17-14 but a 25-yard punt return by McQuarters set in motion the game-winning drive, followed by a game-saving defensive stand.

“I am so proud of our players, they really rose up," Tom Coughlin said.

“They were expecting us to roll over, I think they underestimated us, I don't think they respected us," added an elated Toomer.

And now, Green Bay.

“Words cannot describe," left tackle David Diehl gushed, “how awesome that will be."

paul.schwartz@nypost.com

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:51 am

Webster helped corner keep its edge

BY ARTHUR STAPLE | arthur.staple@newsday.com
January 14, 2008

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spgqa145537972jan14,0,1805195.story

Since when did Corey Webster become a shutdown corner?

Maybe that's a bit strong, given that Terrell Owens did burn Webster for a touchdown catch and Webster did drop what he called "a layup" - a sure interception after Terry Glenn slipped and Tony Romo threw the ball right to Webster during Dallas' 20-play march in the second quarter. But the third-year Giants cornerback, now at the top of the depth chart with injuries to Sam Madison, Kevin Dockery and Aaron Ross, played his heart out yesterday. "We just go out, try to be physical and that's what we did," Webster said.

What did the Giants think of Patrick Crayton's day?

Brandon Jacobs, the mic is yours: "They're a great football team. They might have had a chance to win if Patrick Crayton didn't drop the two key passes. There was a lot of talk, but it's over with. We won the game. They're chillin' and we're going to Green Bay. Their defense are pretty classy guys, they didn't say much. It's just the people that talked really didn't matter and were totally irrelevant to the whole game. It was so sweet to see him drop those passes, which would have given them some momentum. But he dropped them, they lost and we're moving on."

What does this mean for Jeff Feagles, who will be in his first NFC Championship Game after 320 games in 20 seasons?

Owens shed some tears after the game and so did Feagles, who got a little emotional. "I've waited too many years to get to this point," he said, sitting at the first locker inside the visitors' locker room. "That was the most nervous I've ever been in those final plays ... To do this, with this group of guys, it means a lot. A whole lot."

What had Dave Tollefson on the field for large parts of the Cowboys' final two drives?

Michael Strahan had "tweaked" his groin, as he said, and he didn't want it to become a full-blown pull, so he was on the sideline while Tollefson, the affable first-year end, took some of the biggest snaps of the season. He got some decent pressure, even though Cowboys tackle Marc Colombo appeared to jump early a few times. "It felt like he was already set in his stance by the time I got moving," Tollefson said.

Strahan did come back for the last four plays with his left leg heavily wrapped.

Why was Marion Barber able to run wild in the first half?

The Giants had allowed only three 100-yard rushers all season; Barber had 101 yards at the half. He bounced a couple of runs outside and his biggest gallop, a 36-yarder in the first quarter, occurred because James Butler slipped at the point of attack. "It was really just missed tackles," Kawika Mitchell said. "We let him get through our hands a lot." Barber rushed 16 times for 101 yards in the first half but had only 28 yards on 11 carries in the second.

GIANTS OVERTIME

TURNING POINT

Patrick Crayton's drop on third-and-13 from the Cowboys' 17 would have given Dallas a first down near the end of the third quarter. The Giants scored on the next drive for the final margin.

UNSUNG HERO

Corey Webster

Webster dropped a sure interception in the second quarter, but his work keeping Terrell Owens mostly under wraps was a second straight remarkable performance by a once- forgotten cornerback.

More articles

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:53 am

Defense is Giant when it counts

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-sppow145537984jan14,0,607175.column

IRVING, Texas

One more drive. One more snap. One more chance to collapse and ruin a long, hard and fine performance against all the odds. That's what the Giants' defense was up against with 16 seconds left, Cowboys with the ball, 23 yards from the winning score, fourth-and-ballgame.

Tony Romo then made a pass that, unfortunately for him, was not as successful as the one he made to Jessica Simpson.

Shaun Powell Shaun Powell Bio | E-mail | Recent columns

The ball traveled into the end zone in the direction of Giants defensive back R.W. McQuarters, who did not merely catch it, because tired and hungry men do not "catch" anything. They snatch it and squeeze it and embrace it like their first love.

"I just wanted to get the ball and cuddle it to make sure the ref saw that it was a pick," he said. "I wasn't gonna let go."

That could sum up the defiant and aggressive attitude of the Giants' defense, which simply refused to let go yesterday in the team's biggest game of the season. Defensively, the Giants were pushed and tested by the most dangerous offense west of Tom Brady. Over the course of a physical game, key players dropped from injuries. Then they were denied a proper rest period, dragged back onto the field and asked to save the day.

Yes, the season was up to the defense, a unit that was slapped silly by these same Cowboys in Week One and, curiously enough, the following week as well by Brett Favre and the Packers.

But that was what, months ago? Years, it seems?

Yesterday, McQuarters stole the ball, the Giants won a playoff game, 21-17, and now they are (pinch yourself) 60 minutes from the Super Bowl. Yes, these Giants and that defense.

"Funny, isn't it?" linebacker Antonio Pierce said, with a wink added for effect.

The defense was put in a big spot yesterday, which has never been a good sign for the Giants in the post-LT period. This is the same franchise that, in the postseasons since Lawrence Taylor retired, made Trent Dilfer a Super Bowl-winning quarterback, twice failed to stop Jeff Garcia from rallying in fourth quarters and gave up big plays to Carolina receiver Steve Smith. This defense broke more hearts than George Clooney.

But this was a performance to save and savor. The Giants held Romo and company to a field goal in the second half and left Terrell Owens, devastated like everyone else in Dallas, with more tears than catches. It was another victory on the road, the Giants' ninth of the season, which makes you wonder if the Giants will go into Sunday's NFC Championship Game in Green Bay on a bigger roll than Favre and the Packers.

"We're gonna have to be physical with them," Pierce said, "same as we were today."

All of the early signals pointed to defensive failure against the Cowboys, especially when the Giants gave up 101 first-half yards to Marion Barber and allowed two touchdowns. Besides, the defense labored plenty; in the middle quarters, Dallas held the ball for 21 minutes compared to nine for the Giants, actually putting together a 20-play scoring drive.

The Giants also lost rookie cornerback Aaron Ross, stripping a vulnerable defensive backfield of its finest part, and on Dallas' final drive, Michael Strahan and Justin Tuck missed plays because of aches.

Plus, the Cowboys had three shots to go ahead in the fourth quarter, and started their final drive at the Giants' 48.

But: They finally put pressure and some fingerprints on Romo, who wasn't sacked the first three quarters, then snuffed the final Dallas flicker with the McQuarters interception.

"The longest 31 seconds of my life at the end," Pierce said. "I was tired as hell."

The defense was tired, in another sense, early this season. Strahan was slow to return from his training-camp hiatus, and defensive breakdowns put Eli Manning in the uncomfortable position of scoring big points in order to win. Somehow, the defense found some guts and spilled them yesterday.

"When everybody jumped on our backs after the first two games, we didn't fold," Pierce said. "I don't know what this team did in years past, but this time we didn't fold."

Imagine: If this defense covers the field better than the snow Sunday at Lambeau, the Giants go to the Super Bowl. Just beat Favre, the same guy who beat them in September. "But this," said Pierce, "ain't the same team he saw in September."

more in /sports/football/giants

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:56 am

Strange but true: Giants one win from Super Bowl

Bob Glauber
January 14, 2008

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-spglaub145537978jan14,0,3488473.column?page=1

IRVING, Texas

As the ball floated toward the end zone, Kareem McKenzie had to turn away.

Fourth-and-11 from the Giants' 23, one last shot for Tony Romo and the Cowboys. It had come down to this, and the Giants tackle couldn't bear to look. Same with a lot of his teammates, and hordes of disbelieving Giants fans who have seen their share of collapses.

"I'm like, 'Just have somebody tell me what happens,' " McKenzie said, " 'because I can't watch this.' "

The ball hung in the air far too long for McKenzie, the anxiety increasing as it arced toward Dallas' Terry Glenn in the end zone.

"It felt like San Francisco all over again," Amani Toomer said, referring to the Giants' epic playoff collapse against the 49ers five years ago. "I'm like, 'This can't be happening.' "

It didn't.

Cornerback R.W. McQuarters stepped in front of Glenn and intercepted the pass in the end zone, securing a 21-17 upset and putting the Giants within a win of the Super Bowl. Four quarters to go on the Frozen Tundra at Lambeau Field, where the Giants can earn a trip to Phoenix for a chance to win it all.

Un ... bel ... iev ... able.

The Giants came here resolved to beat the Cowboys, even if it seemed they had everything against them. Dallas had already beaten them twice. The secondary was beset by injuries. No Jeremy Shockey. No Derrick Ward. A quarterback with just one playoff victory. And no bye week to rest up and heal up.

"Nobody believed in us," linebacker Antonio Pierce said. "Nobody but us. And that's OK. The guys in this locker room, we believe in each other."

For a team that started 0-2, giving up 80 points, and fell behind 17-3 to the Redskins in Week 3, this improbable playoff run has turned into the neatest and most implausible feel-good story of these playoffs. Nine straight road wins, and here they are: facing the Packers in the NFC Championship Game.

"We just forced our team to come together," center Shaun O'Hara said. "You realize that you have your coaches and your teammates in an us- against-the-world mentality."

Now it is one more unlikely matchup against the Packers, who routed the Giants at Giants Stadium a week after the Cowboys beat the Giants here in Week 1. How fitting that the Giants have a chance at redemption against those teams in back-to-back weeks four months later.

And they do it against a resurgent Packers team coming off a lopsided win over Seattle Saturday at snowy Lambeau. Temperatures next Sunday are expected to be in the single digits.

"[The Giants] are a very good football team," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said shortly after watching Giants-Cowboys. Had Dallas won, Green Bay would have had to come to Dallas. "A lot has happened since Week 2. We're a different football team than we were in Week 2, and they're definitely a different football team."

They are a remarkable football team. How else do you describe a team that was as bad as could be the first two weeks but rebounded from the early blows to get this far.

Four quarters from Phoenix.

In ... cred ... ible.

"My heartbeat is normally between 48 and 52, and it's about 150 right now," Pierce said. "Coming into a situation like today, where nobody picked us, no one expected us to hold a team that has scored about 80 points on us to 17 tonight. We're heading to Green Bay. I couldn't think of anything better."

As he gathered his teammates in the huddle before that final play, Pierce said he "spoke about 1,000 words in 30 seconds." He was imploring them to overcome the odds, to defy the skeptics who had given them little chance to vanquish the Cowboys, to turn their tireless efforts over the last six-plus months into one more special feeling. A chance to shut the yap of receiver Patrick Crayton, whose midweek jabs at the Giants only stoked their anger and determination.

McQuarters, who was pressed into a featured role after rookie Aaron Ross suffered a shoulder injury, answered Pierce's challenge. "It was the play of the season," Toomer said of McQuarters' interception.

Once the ball was nestled safely in McQuarters' arms, McKenzie and the rest of the Giants' faithful could finally look. No horrifying ending this time. Only another chance for another unlikely win.

And silence from Crayton.

Four quarters from Phoenix.

Are ... you ... kidding ... me?

If at first you don't succeed ...

The Giants became only the seventh NFL team to beat an opponent in the postseason after losing their two regular-season meetings.

Year Team Opponent

2007 Giants Dallas Cowboys

2004 Minnesota Vikings Green Bay Packers

1998 Arizona Cardinals Dallas Cowboys

1994 Chicago Bears Minnesota Vikings

1992 San Diego Chargers Kansas City Chiefs

1989 Pittsburgh Steelers Houston Oilers

1983 Los Angeles Raiders Seattle Seahawks

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:57 am

First Look: Giants-Packers NFC title game
Pasquarelli

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3195327

Eli Manning and Brett Favre

Getty Images

Eli Manning has found his confidence; Brett Favre has found the fountain of youth. One of the two quarterbacks will be playing in the Super Bowl next month.

Just like the AFC Championship Game, next Sunday's title matchup in the senior conference features a couple of teams who played each other on Sept. 16, in the second weekend of the regular season. The Packers went to the Meadowlands that day and ambushed the Giants, 35-13, as quarterback Brett Favre threw for 286 yards and three touchdowns.

Favre was just starting to warm up at that early juncture of the season. At the same time, the New York defense, reshaped by first-year coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, was ice-cold. It wasn't until after that loss, which got the Giants off to an 0-2 start, that the unit really began to grasp Spagnuolo's principles. The pass rush eventually would crank up to lead the NFL in sacks with 52.

More Giants-Packers

Want to see more on the Giants-Packers NFC Championship Game? Check out our special index page.
N.Y. Giants at Green Bay

• SportsNation: Who'll win?

Four months later, the Giants are still attacking the pocket and Favre is still attacking secondaries, but there have been changes. Each team has discovered playmakers it didn't know existed on its roster. And for the Giants, quarterback Eli Manning -- the Manning brother who didn't figure to be playing in a conference championship game on Sunday -- has taken on a more prominent leadership role, maturing into a player who can manage games.

"He keeps answering the doubters," wide receiver Plaxico Burress said after the Giants' 21-17 upset victory over the Dallas Cowboys in Sunday's divisional-round game.

And so do we. So here are five early questions about the NFC Championship Game:

1. Unlike his older brother, Manning seems to be so up and down, and it's difficult to predict which Eli will show up. Has he finally reached a level of consistency?

Never underestimate confidence. That's one notable component of Manning's recent success. He seems much more confident in himself and his receivers the past three or four games.

Of course, as is the case with all quarterbacks, you look a whole lot better when your teammates are out there making plays for you. Wide receivers Burress and Amani Toomer (who continues to gut it out with a torn ligament in his left ankle) have been constants all year. And the Giants have gotten solid production from their three veteran tailbacks.

But in the past month, rookie wide receiver Steve Smith, slowed by injuries most of the year, has started to come up big. In Sunday's upset victory at Dallas, Manning kept going back to Smith in clutch, third-down situations, and the former Southern California star displayed good maturity and playmaking skills. Another rookie, fifth-round tight end Kevin Boss, who replaced injured Jeremy Shockey, has made timely catches.

More than any other player, though, Manning's ascent is up to, well, Manning himself. He has reduced his turnovers, managed games well and played within himself, rather than forcing the issue.

With Manning, it's always been tough to say that he has arrived because he historically has followed strong performances with some slippage. But for every successful quarterback, there comes a time when the game actually seems to slow down, when overall vision and field presence add that nebulous peripheral element that sets apart the really good ones from the pretty good ones.

There is certainly a mounting body of evidence that, in his fourth season, Manning has reached that critical nexus of his career.

2. OK, even if we buy that, there's still no way Manning can top Favre at Lambeau Field, is there?

Hey, having seen the Giants play toe-to-toe with New England in the regular-season finale, then win at Tampa Bay and Dallas, we're not going to underestimate this team. Sometimes a club just catches lightning in a bottle, rises to the occasion, and gets hot at the most opportune time of year.

If happened with Pittsburgh two years ago, and the Steelers rode the wave all the way to a Super Bowl XL championship. But it seems this is more a question about Favre, and his re-emergence this season, than it is about Manning and the Giants and their chances for another unlikely upset.

It might be hard to fathom how a guy in his 17th season could still get better, but Favre has. The hiring of Mike McCarthy last year was a boon for his career because the Green Bay coach is a "quarterback guy," accustomed to working with players who have a big dose of ego and might not want to be coached very much.

McCarthy came in and didn't let Favre's résumé blind him. He coached some of the gunslinger mentality out of Favre, forced him to make better decisions, but also made a few minor concessions along the way. No matter their stature in the league, most guys want to be coached, and Favre certainly was receptive to a lot of McCarthy's ideas.

The far more mystifying turnaround is in Favre's ability to throw the deep ball again, and with uncanny accuracy, to his wide receivers. It's as though Favre, at 38, has dipped his right arm in a fountain of youth. And, of course, he's still capable of making the crazy, improvisational play, like his underhand toss to tight end Donald Lee in Saturday's snowy victory.

3. Yeah, well, all that stuff about Favre aside, he still can't throw the ball if he's on his backside, right?

Well, the ability of the Packers' offensive line to protect Favre against the Giants' ferocious pass rush certainly will be one of the keys.

Because the Packers aren't on national television that much, casual fans might not realize that Green Bay has one of the best tackle tandems in the league: Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher.

Neither is a prototype of what scouts normally are seeking at their respective positions. Tauscher is hardly the strongside mauler teams covet at right tackle, and Clifton doesn't look as though he possesses enough foot quickness to seal off the blind side. But the pair has been together for eight seasons, both coming to the team in the 2000 draft, and the two really are excellent.

One of them, though, will have his hands full with Giants end Osi Umenyiora, who usually aligns on the right side but moved all over the place in Sunday's win at Dallas, and who absolutely took over the game in the last few Cowboys possessions.

And here's a wild card to throw into the mix: the Giants' No. 3 end, Justin Tuck, who was not a starter this season but still had 10 sacks, one more than Michael Strahan. New York substitutes liberally on the defensive line, and Spagnuolo uses all three ends in his nickel package, so Tuck gets a lot of pass-rush opportunities. And many of them come against slower guards because he often moves inside to tackle on third down.

That's where the New York pass rush might be a bigger challenge for the Packers' offensive line. The guard positions have been unsettled in Green Bay much of the season. This would be a good week to get that position straightened out.

4. So I flipped on the TV on Saturday afternoon and saw this guy named Ryan Grant playing for the Packers and running through both the snow and the Seahawks' defense, and it struck me that I knew nothing about him. Where the heck did he come from?

Coincidentally, he came from the Giants, who were so deep at tailback coming out of the preseason that they dealt him to the desperate Packers on Sept. 1 for an undisclosed draft choice, believed to be a low-round selection. Kind of an odd coincidence, huh? That the New York defense is going to have to contend with a player the Giants knew from training camp, one the team surrendered in what was pretty much a giveaway trade.

A former Notre Dame standout, Grant originally signed with New York as an undrafted free agent in 2005. He spent most of that season on the Giants' practice squad and all of 2006 on the non-football injury list with a fractured hand.

Because the Giants' depth chart already featured Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and Reuben Droughns, there was no room for Grant on the roster, thus the deal. Hard to blame the New York brass for making the trade.

Grant began the season on the Green Bay bench, but when rookies Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn were injured, he basically landed the starting job by default. And despite starting just eight games, he ran for 956 yards and eight touchdowns.

The Packers love his toughness and explosiveness and, after Saturday, they have to like his resilience, too. The kid bounced back from two early fumbles that handed Seattle a 14-0 lead to run for 201 yards.

In the regular-season meeting between the two teams, Grant played sparingly. He didn't log a single carry, and his lone contribution to the Packers' offense was a 21-yard reception. Bet the mortgage he's going to have a significantly bigger role Sunday.

5. A couple of key matchups, please.

Given the battered condition of the Giants' secondary, it's going to be difficult for the unit to hold up if the Packers go to a lot of three-receiver sets.

As noted earlier, Favre is throwing the heck out of the deep ball. And though veteran Green Bay wideout Donald Driver is more of a dependable receiver than a deep threat in his ninth season, a pair of young guys -- second-year pro Greg Jennings and rookie James Jones -- both exude big-play mind-sets.

Jones is a burner, but it's Jennings who plays much quicker than his stopwatch speed, and he has become Favre's go-to guy when the quarterback decides to go down the field. He has averaged nearly 30 yards per touchdown catch.

So the crippled New York secondary versus the Packers' spread looks is one matchup to watch.

Middle linebacker Nick Barnett will be a revelation for those who haven't seen him play before. And left end Aaron Kampman, a self-made player, is one of the best two-way defenders in the league. He figures to be a tall test for Giants right tackle Kareem McKenzie.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:24 am

I found the outfield arms analysis I mentioned. It’s at Hardball Times. The methodology was quite sophisticated.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/best-outfield-arms-of-2007/

Summary: Michael Cuddyer led all of MLB for RF, and Delmon Young was fourth (and second in the AL). They saved 15 and 11 runs respectively. Only four MLB RF guys saved more than 5.6 runs.

In CF, the much maligned Melky Cabrera was 6th in MLB and second in the AL. Torii Hunter was 25th out of 30, saving -3.6 runs.

In LF, Craig Monroe was second in MLB and first in the AL (though he saved 4.3 runs, compared to Alfonso Soriano at 17 runs, the runaway leader). Jason Kubel was 26th out of 29, saving -6.4 runs (yikes!).

Those runs saved can’t be discounted. If a team played Cuddyer in RF, Melky in CF and D. Young in LF, they would have saved almost 30 runs for the season. If a team played Kubel, Torii Hunter and Shawn Green (who BC said would be interchangeable with Cuddyer) they would save -18 runs. So the first group has a 48 run disparity over the second group. The Twins can’t afford to discount that sort of thing. So let’s keep Cuddyer.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:41 am

Vote: Who is the best at each position?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/ballot?event_id=3323&incoming=1

Thank you for voting. See below for the results from across SportsNation.

Your responses in bold text below.

More content: AFC title game | NFC title game | Conference title quiz

Who is the best quarterback left in the playoffs?

54.9% Tom Brady, Patriots
37.8% Brett Favre, Packers
7.8% Philip Rivers, Chargers
2.5% Eli Manning, Giants

Who is the best running back left in the playoffs?

67.4% LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers
26.6% Ryan Grant, Packers
6.7% Michael Turner, Chargers
4.2% Laurence Maroney, Patriots
3.4% Brandon Jacobs, Giants
1.2% Ahmad Bradshaw, Giants
1.1% Brandon Jackson, Packers

Who are the TWO best wide receivers left in the playoffs? (Vote for TWO)

75.0% Randy Moss, Patriots
31.2% Greg Jennings, Packers
25.0% Donald Driver, Packers
23.7% Wes Welker, Patriots
17.2% Plaxico Burress, Giants
11.1% Chris Chambers, Chargers
9.7% Vincent Jackson, Chargers
4.1% Amani Toomer, Giants
1.3% Donte' Stallworth, Patriots

Who is the best tight end left in the playoffs?

70.6% Antonio Gates, Chargers
17.6% Donald Lee, Packers
9.9% Ben Watson, Patriots
3.6% Kevin Boss, Giants

Who are the TWO best offensive tackles left in the playoffs? (Vote for TWO)

48.4% Matt Light, Patriots
38.0% Chad Clifton, Packers
34.9% Mark Tauscher, Packers
23.1% Marcus McNeill, Chargers
17.7% Nick Kaczur, Patriots
15.8% Shane Olivea, Chargers
10.7% David Diehl, Giants
8.0% Kareem McKenzie, Giants

Who is the best center left in the playoffs?

36.6% Dan Koppen, Patriots
24.3% Scott Wells, Packers
20.6% Nick Hardwick, Chargers
17.9% Shaun O'Hara, Giants

Who are the TWO best guards left in the playoffs? (Vote for TWO)

39.9% Logan Mankins, Patriots
32.8% Stephen Neal, Patriots
25.6% Jason Spitz, Packers
24.9% Kris Dielman, Chargers
24.0% Mike Goff, Chargers
23.1% Daryn Colledge, Packers
16.8% Chris Snee, Giants
7.0% Rich Seubert, Giants

Who are the TWO best defensive ends left in the playoffs? (Vote for TWO)

43.6% Aaron Kampman, Packers
41.7% Osi Umenyiora, Giants
38.7% Michael Strahan, Giants
25.9% Richard Seymour, Patriots
15.2% Cullen Jenkins, Packers
13.2% Luis Castillo, Chargers
10.2% Igor Olshansky, Chargers
7.7% Ty Warren, Patriots

Who are the TWO best defensive tackles left in the playoffs? (Vote for TWO)

55.9% Vince Wilfork, Patriots
49.7% Ryan Pickett, Packers
40.7% Jamal Williams, Chargers
23.1% Johnny Jolly, Packers
12.2% Fred Robbins, Giants
8.9% Barry Cofield , Giants

Who are the TWO best outside linebackers left in the playoffs? (Vote for TWO)

66.1% Shawne Merriman, Chargers
36.6% AJ Hawk, Packers
33.0% Mike Vrabel, Patriots
23.0% Adalius Thomas, Patriots
15.0% Shaun Phillips, Chargers
14.2% Brady Poppinga, Packers
4.7% Kawika Mitchell, Giants
2.9% Reggie Torbor, Giants

Who is the best inside linebacker left in the playoffs?

47.1% Nick Barnett, Packers
24.2% Tedy Bruschi, Patriots
18.3% Antonio Pierce, Giants
11.6% Stephen Cooper, Chargers
11.2% Junior Seau, Patriots
8.8% Matt Wilhelm, Chargers

Who are the TWO best cornerbacks left in the playoffs? (Vote for TWO)

59.6% Charles Woodson, Packers
52.7% Al Harris, Packers
45.2% Asante Samuel, Patriots
18.9% Quentin Jammer, Chargers
6.4% Ellis Hobbs, Patriots
5.7% Aaron Ross, Giants
4.1% Corey Webster, Giants
2.5% Drayton Florence, Chargers

Who are the TWO best safeties left in the playoffs? (Vote for TWO)

61.2% Rodney Harrison, Patriots
50.5% Atari Bigby, Packers
20.7% Marlon McCree, Chargers
18.9% Aaron Rouse, Packers
13.4% Gibril Wilson, Giants
12.2% James Sanders, Patriots
11.1% Clinton Hart, Chargers
5.1% James Butler, Giants

Who is the best kicker left in the playoffs?

44.0% Mason Crosby, Packers
25.6% Nate Kaeding, Chargers
22.5% Stephen Gostkowski, Patriots
6.4% Lawrence Tynes, Giants

Who is the best head coach left in the playoffs?

61.6% Bill Belichick, Patriots
24.9% Mike McCarthy, Packers
9.0% Norv Turner, Chargers
3.9% Tom Coughlin, Giants

Total Votes: 4,434

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:52 am

Scouts Buzz

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270916019
The Green Bay Packers got an impressive road win over the injury-riddled Giants. Surprisingly, QB Eli Manning not only played with a second-degree shoulder separation, but he delivered the ball well, for the most part. It wasn't necessarily the offense that led to the Giants' second loss, however. Instead, it was a marginal effort by the Giants defense that was costly. Head coach Tom Coughlin was willing to take some chances to try to pressure Brett Favre and slow down the Packers. They used a variety of blitz packages, but Favre was excellent at getting the ball out quickly vs. man coverage. He avoided the pressure, was patient in the pocket and got the ball in the hands of his playmakers. Wide receiver Donald Driver and tight ends Bubba Franks and Donald Lee each scored against underneath linebacker coverage that appeared to be outmanned.
-- Ken Moll, Scouts Inc.
• Complete Week 2 Scouts Buzz

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:53 am

Adding Cameron a plus for Brewers

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob

posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

According to skyking162, the Brewers' signing of Mike Cameron might be the best signing of this offseason. Why? Because that move alone makes them 40 runs better, defensively, than they were before they signed Cameron. How? Cameron replaces Bill Hall in center field (20-run improvement), Hall replaces Ryan Braun at third base (30-run improvement), and Braun replaces Gabe Gross in left field (10-run dropoff).

Cameron's a pretty good hitter, too. Bottom line?

Including both offense and defense, the Brewers are between 4.0 and 5.5 wins better with Mike Cameron than without him. At $4 million per win, that's worth between $16 and $22 million on the free agent market, all for only $7 million. We can't give all that credit to Cameron (the Brewers technically could have moved Hall and Braun without signing Cameron), but acquiring a good center fielder forces the issue. It's a great signing and the Brewers are now back to competing with the Cubs for first place in the NL Central.

One thing Sky doesn't mention: Cameron has tested positive for a banned stimulant, and for the second time. He'll be suspended for the first 25 games of the 2008 season. Still, I think the basic conclusion is correct: With Cameron, there's no reason the Brewers can't win 85 games and stick with the Cubs in the Central. Not bad for $7 million.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:55 am

Scouts Buzz

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271129006

This wasn't Brett Favre's best game. He forced throws and threw into double coverage too often. At times, he appeared to have his mind made up as to where he was going with the ball before he read the defense. His pass protection didn't help his cause, but Favre didn't recognize blitzers coming clean. The play calling was questionable, as Green Bay got away from its West Coast principles early. After Favre's injury, the Packers got back to throwing short, precise passes. Aaron Rodgers also missed some blitz pickups, but he did move the team with sharp throws and his feet. Meanwhile, Atari Bigby was overwhelmed by Jason Witten, and Terrell Owens was unstoppable. Tony Romo never waivered, continually manipulating coverages and utilizing all his weapons in leading the Cowboys to victory.
-- Matt Williamson , Scouts Inc.

· Complete Week 13 Scouts Buzz

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:57 am

My email to Mark Patrick on XM Radio's Baseball This Morning, which he read word for word this morning:

Quote:
Last week you said someone got onto baseball-reference and found out an amazing stat about Bert Blylevin. You said that in 60 games that he pitched 7 innings or more and allowed 2 runs or less, that his record was 0-40.

I found this to be an amazing stat and shared it with all my buddies on "the best message board/blog site on the internet" - www.metsrefugees.com. They shot it down pretty quick because he had 60 shutouts in his career. Wouldn't a shutout count as "7 or more innings pitched and 2 or less runs given up?"

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy He did read it exactly like that. Funny shit.

It was played at 7:10 EST this morning, but they always replay the 6-9 show from 9-12 for the West Coast crowd. Is there any way someone can get a soundbite from it recorded? It should be played again at 10:10 EST.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:11 am

Chad on way out?
NFL insider: QB McNabb wants another playmaker
BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008801130404

One of the hottest NFL rumors this offseason, besides the coaching carousel, is the question of whether the Bengals will trade four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson.

One of the top suitors could be the Philadelphia Eagles, according to The Philadelphia Inquire

Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb wants another playmaker on offense, and it's conceivable, the paper reported, that the Eagles might be interested in orchestrating a trade for Johnson - who just turned 30 Wednesday.

Johnson, who has six consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons, is represented by agent Drew Rosenhaus, widely believed to be the source of all Johnson-related rumors.

Still, the Eagles would make an intriguing trade partner for the Bengals if they were to choose to move Johnson. Philadelphia has a wealth of defensive players who could help the Bengals bolster the perennially weakest part of their team.

DEBATE BY THE LAKE: The biggest question this season on the shore of Lake Erie is which quarterback should the Browns keep as their future starter?

Derek Anderson earned a berth as an alternate to the AFC Pro Bowl team following his career year.

Brady Quinn was one of the team's first-round draft picks in 2007, and Quinn's jersey is the 11th best seller in replica sales nationwide.

General manager Phil Savage wants to believe that the two quarterbacks can co-exist on the same roster, according to The Cleveland Plain-Dealer.

The worry inside the Browns organization is that agent David Dunn, who represents Anderson, wants big money for the Browns' current starter.

If the Browns can't reach a long-term deal with Anderson, they are expected to use the tag on him in restricted free agency, which would command first- and third-round draft picks as compensation for signing him.

Clearly, though, Anderson is more prepared to start in 2008 than is Quinn. Anderson threw for 29 touchdowns and 3,700 yards and led the Browns to a 10-5 record as the starter.

"I do think that everyone affiliated with the Browns feels compelled on what Derek did this year, and things we have in place, he deserves to go into the batter's box and swing for the fences next year," Savage told reporters who cover the Browns. "He's a home run hitter and we're going to hope he hits home runs for us."

Then Savage was asked about trading Quinn and keeping Anderson.

"Sitting here today, we want to go into next season with both quarterbacks. I don't want to do anything to derail anyone from having a successful season next year. Am I saying both quarterbacks are off the market? Yeah, I'm saying it. But there are things that have to be done for that to be a certainty."

GIBBS GONE: Joe Gibbs, who resigned as Washington Redskins coach last week, though not able to restore the organization to its previous luster still made a significant and lasting contribution.

Team owner Dan Snyder told reporters that Gibbs taught him "incredible patience" and righted an organization that had drifted during two years under Steve Spurrier, The Washington Times reported.

"I give him all the credit for putting us in great position for the future," Snyder said. "He's done a great job stabilizing a situation that was, quite frankly, unstable before."

With former Steelers coach Bill Cowher intent on staying out of the NFL at least for one more year, Washington's most likely choice to replace Gibbs is its current defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams.

REPEATS: A scheduling oddity in 1993 and 1994 saw the Lions and Packers play five times in the '94 calendar year.

The last regular-season game of 1993 was played Jan. 2, 1994. The Lions won 30-20 at the Pontiac Silverdome.

On Jan. 8, 1994, the teams met again in an NFC wild-card playoff game at the Silverdome, won 28-24 by the Packers.

The teams would meet three more times in the 1994 season, both teams winning at home, before playing again Dec. 31, 1994, in a playoff game won 16-12 by the Packers at Lambeau Field. The Packers held Barry Sanders to minus-1 yard on 13 rushing attempts.

YOUTH SERVED: Houston quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan, 28, was elevated to offensive coordinator. He's the youngest coordinator in the league. He'll still coach quarterbacks, according to The Houston Chronicle.

FREE AGENCY: Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has begun conversations with the team about signing a new contract, The Tennessean reports. Haynesworth could be an unrestricted free agent Feb. 29. He probably will get the franchise tag if he doesn't sign, which would severely limit his mobility in free agency.

CHUCKIE: Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden has one year left on his contract, and the Glazer family has indicated it sees the team's improvement in going 9-7 and winning the NFC South title in 2007. But no contract extension has been offered yet, The St. Petersburg Times reports. Several Tampa Bay assistants are in limbo.

Written, in part, from notes provided by other NFL beat writers

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:13 am

Updated: January 9, 2008

* Comment
* Email
* Print

Two of the playoff matchups this weekend feature teams that faced each other during the regular season. I took a closer metric look at each of these earlier matchups in conjunction with some season-long metrics to help determine some of the keys to these two games.

N.Y. Giants at Dallas

The passing matchup that will draw the most attention is whichever Giants cornerback is facing Terrell Owens, but the metrics from earlier in the season say that the Plaxico Burress-Anthony Henry matchup is one worth watching. In Week 1, Burress toasted Henry with four catches in four attempts for 101 yards and a touchdown. In Week 10, however, Burress had only one short pass thrown to him against Henry, and it fell incomplete.

The pressure might not be as strong on Burress if Amani Toomer had an easier matchup, but Toomer is going to draw Terence Newman. Because Toomer was 0-for-3 against Newman in their only matchup this season, Burress' ability to step up looks to be crucial if the Giants' passing game is to get going.

Another major question is whether the Giants' defense can slow the Cowboys' running game. Dallas totaled 224 rushing yards in its first two meetings, and given the possibility that Owens will be slowed by injury, the Cowboys might lean on their ground attack a lot more than usual this week.

Dallas Offensive Line
Player POA runs Yds YPA
Flozell Adams 9 57 6.3
Leonard Davis 19 69 3.6
Andre Gurode 21 63 3.0
Kyle Kosier 20 79 4.0
Marc Colombo 14 63 4.5

The metrics say that one key for New York's run defense is to prevent the Dallas runners from bouncing a play outside of its initial hole. Cowboys running backs did this type of bounce-out 13 times and gained a total of 75 yards on those runs, or 5.7 yards per attempt. Contrast that to the 3.6 YPA Dallas runners gained when the Giants didn't let them bounce the play outside, and it is clear that containment has to be a key for New York.

Another reason the Giants will want to keep runners to the inside is because they have had plenty of success against Dallas center Andre Gurode. Gurode was easily the least successful of the Cowboys' offensive linemen in the run-blocking metrics against New York, as the list to the right indicates.

Ten of the 21 runs behind Gurode gained 2 or fewer yards, so the low YPA is quite indicative of his overall performance. Expect Kyle Kosier and Leonard Davis to give Gurode a lot of help if the Cowboys can't bounce the runs to the outside.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:25 am

Johan Santana Rumors

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/01/14/buzz-mets-front-runners-for-johan-santana/

As usual, MetsBlog's Matthew Cerrone sums up the latest on the Johan Santana front. It's not Cerrone's fault, but it looks like things are pretty quiet right now. A summary:

* The Mets still appear to be the frontrunner.
* As you might expect, Santana would like this done by month's end. He's not stomping his feet and demanding it though.
* And that's pretty much where we stand...I would like to see this thing take a dramatic turn, maybe a late bid from a random team. But it looks like we'll keep slugging along.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:27 am

Buzz: Mets, Front-Runners for Santana?

In yesterday’s Daily News, citing a baseball official, Anthony McCaron wrote that the Mets are pursuing a trade for LHP Johan Santana.

According to the official, “Maybe this week something will heat up. Nothing’s going on right now.”

…well, from what i understand, i wouldn’t say ‘nothing,’ though things are certainly at a slight pause - since, as i pointed out the other day, it’s santana who is in the driver’s seat, not the Twins, Mets, Sox or Yankees…

Nevertheless, in the Boston Globe, Nick Cafardo writes…

“Two general managers told me they believe the Mets are the front-runners for Johan Santana. The reason? They need him most…Of course, both GMs also pointed out that the Yankees or Red Sox are only a phone call away from getting it done.”

According to last Friday’s New York Times, Santana’s agent recently told the Twins that his client would like to have this situation settled before spring training.

However, according to a more recent report from the Associated Press, citing the player’s agent, Santana has never made an official request to be traded before pitchers and catchers are set to meet.

…like i wrote on a few occasions last week, as i understand it, santana wants to know who he will be pitching for before pitchers and catchers report, especially if he’ll be switching leagues like he prefers to do - which is why i believe there will be a conclusion to this story before February, i.e., three weeks or so…nevertheless, i don’t think he’s the kind of guy who will make painful demands on the Twins, at least to the extent that it limits their ability to deal…i mean, he’ll certainly look out for his personal best interests, but there is also a sense of loyalty and respect there for the Twins, as well…

…nevertheless, the Mets have been keeping tabs on the santana situation for quite a while now, and, as i have been writing, they’re currently the only major, pro-active team left in the mix…of course, if the Yankees wake up and decide to make Phil Hughes available tomorrow, then the Yankees will slot in as the front runners…that has yet to happen, though…of course, as a Mets fan, every day that passes, to me, feels like another chance for the Yankees to ruin my day

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:28 am

Buzz: Mets, Front-Runners for Santana?

In yesterday’s Daily News, citing a baseball official, Anthony McCaron wrote that the Mets are pursuing a trade for LHP Johan Santana.

According to the official, “Maybe this week something will heat up. Nothing’s going on right now.”

…well, from what i understand, i wouldn’t say ‘nothing,’ though things are certainly at a slight pause - since, as i pointed out the other day, it’s santana who is in the driver’s seat, not the Twins, Mets, Sox or Yankees…

Nevertheless, in the Boston Globe, Nick Cafardo writes…

“Two general managers told me they believe the Mets are the front-runners for Johan Santana. The reason? They need him most…Of course, both GMs also pointed out that the Yankees or Red Sox are only a phone call away from getting it done.”

According to last Friday’s New York Times, Santana’s agent recently told the Twins that his client would like to have this situation settled before spring training.

However, according to a more recent report from the Associated Press, citing the player’s agent, Santana has never made an official request to be traded before pitchers and catchers are set to meet.

…like i wrote on a few occasions last week, as i understand it, santana wants to know who he will be pitching for before pitchers and catchers report, especially if he’ll be switching leagues like he prefers to do - which is why i believe there will be a conclusion to this story before February, i.e., three weeks or so…nevertheless, i don’t think he’s the kind of guy who will make painful demands on the Twins, at least to the extent that it limits their ability to deal…i mean, he’ll certainly look out for his personal best interests, but there is also a sense of loyalty and respect there for the Twins, as well…

…nevertheless, the Mets have been keeping tabs on the santana situation for quite a while now, and, as i have been writing, they’re currently the only major, pro-active team left in the mix…of course, if the Yankees wake up and decide to make Phil Hughes available tomorrow, then the Yankees will slot in as the front runners…that has yet to happen, though…of course, as a Mets fan, every day that passes, to me, feels like another chance for the Yankees to ruin my day…
Posted in Johan Santana on January 14th, 2008
RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

RSS feed
44 Comments »
Comment by bobbyv
2008-01-14 08:20:05

Not that I dislike being the frontrunner necessarily, but how exactly do we need him most — particularly over the Yankees. How Does Wang, Petite, Mussina and rooks constitute not-need vs. Maine, Ollie, Duke, etc.?
Comment by Ryn5
2008-01-14 08:24:38

We collapsed pre-postseason instead of in the first round, duh!
Comment by LetsGetMetsmerized
2008-01-14 09:41:02

And also the rooks are all already better than our proven guys.
(Comments wont nest below this level)

Comment by stickguy
2008-01-14 08:30:43

For the Stankers, that is actually a potentially disaster of a rotation, that could easily blow out the bull pen big time.

Hopefully October will carry over for Wang, who knows about Petite, Mussina is shot, and then 2 very raw rookies?

And the Mets are the ones that really need him?

Comment by rd
2008-01-14 09:13:14

Yawn…….

Comment by thebaron98
2008-01-14 09:15:31

I agree with what you say about the Yankees being in need of him. But simply put, as stated in other responses, the Yankees made the playoffs. Without another starter, the Mets are likely in the same boat they were in for 2007 - a playoff miss. With Santana, they transform the rotation into a championship caliber one. It is crucial to make this move in my opinion. I am willing to pay the price for a couple of years if it means the Mets can be perrenial contenders from 2005-2012. I believe that of the two big prospects in Gomez and Martinez, one will truly make it. And assuming one makes it, will they be as good at their position as Santana is at his? Not likely.

Comment by murpheeee
2008-01-14 08:26:48

Yankees rooks (Hughes, Chamberlain) look a lot more like making it in the bigs than the Mets rooks (Pelfrey , Humber)

Plus Duque generally spends half the season on the treatment table.
Comment by bobbyv
2008-01-14 08:32:48

I like Hughes stuff, but his numbers for the last 3 months of the season looked suspicously similar to Pelf’s. Same with Chamberlin, but his first 2 months were no more impressive than Joe Smith (but for the Skankee hype machine) — and the guy’s never started a big league game! Not to mention that the Yanks track record for patience with starters (and their educated fan base) usually lasts about 23 pitches.
Comment by bigchart333
2008-01-14 09:14:48

excellent, EXCELLENT points bobby V

Comment by stickguy
2008-01-14 08:58:38

Hughes, if he stays healthy, could be good this year, but rookies his age will still have some growing pains, stamina issues, etc. What happens when he hits August/140 innings (think Maine last year).

Jaba? Who knows? A guy that had to have arm-babying rules last year, and had injuries issues in the past? Can he pitch 5+ innings every day without a problem?

I understand that Pedro might not hold together, but frankly, every pitcher in the league is one pitch away from a blown out elbow.

Comment by bobbyv
2008-01-14 08:30:21

From a public relations standpoint, I agree. Maybe from a clubhouse presence, grit standpoint, I can buy it. Getting Santana would be a huge difference maker; and we haven’t had a #1 like him in years.

But comparing one teams vs. anothers; The Yanks have twice the salary, new mgr.; Red Sox Worlds Series; Horrible Hank — and think they’re made in the shade with a Sinkerball pitcher who did a Glavine in the post-season; an beyond his primer HGHer, an even further beyond his prime Mussina — and rooks? This should be amusing.
Comment by m00kie
2008-01-14 08:43:43

“did a glavine” love it, with your permission I’ll reuse that idiom!
Comment by bobbyv
2008-01-14 08:46:56

Use it as you wish.

Comment by scottykick
2008-01-14 08:31:22

Because Wang, Pettite, Mussina, Hughes, Kennedy (w/ Joba as a possibility) is a lot stronger then Pedro,Maine,O. Perez, El Duque & Pelfry.

Look at it this way, add Santana to the rotation, and it’s a whole new dynamic. Pedro will then be a dominant #2 starter, Maine would be the best #3 in the NL and Perez & Pelfry would be great back of the rotation guys and El Duque can be moved to long relief, so you can savehis arm and maybe he can be available at full strenght in the playoffs as a possible starter.

They also need him the most because of the way last season ended and they need something big and positive going into this season. Santana would absolutly be dominant in the NL, especially in a division that has the Marlins and Nats, add the fact he would be pitching in a pitchers park at Shea this season and Citi next.

The deal needs be be done, but if they can keep Fernando Martinez out of the deal it would be even better, but if it is a deal breaker I would include him.
Comment by Ryn5
2008-01-14 08:35:36

I’d rather see Pelfrey develop some command and poise pitching out of the bullpen.

I’ll take Duque’s 3-ish ERA until he gets hurt in June for two months.
Comment by MealTicket
2008-01-14 08:53:38

Right on.
Comment by sase
2008-01-14 09:33:47

PELFREY IN BULLPEN

Comment by stickguy
2008-01-14 09:33:28

Agreed. When healthy, he just might be their best SP (or at elast he was for stretches last year).

Since he is gone after 2008 (please!), they shold get every inning possible out of his arm.

Guess the question is, do you want to milk him along and bubble wrap him for October 9hasn’t worked yet…) or just use him normally and hope he makes it 1/2 way through the year?

If Pelfrey is in AAA working on his stuff and command, then ride Duque hard and call up Pelf when he breaks. Not sure what you do if they are both in the rotation.

Comment by Xavier22
2008-01-14 09:40:05

Exactly. Many posters in here have just assumed El Duque can be/will be slotted to the pen in the event another starter (Santana or otherwise) is added to the Mets. Given how El Duque usually has his worst inning at the beginning of his start, I don’t see that as being a good idea necessarily.

Whatever happens in the next few weeks, I’d rather see El Duque in the starting rotating (ideally in the 5 spot) in April and Pelfry down in AAA. When El Duque goes on the DL in late May/early June, then Pelfry should be bumped up to the starting rotation.

Comment by Go Bro
2008-01-14 08:50:26

The “slight pause” in this story is a cause for concern for me. There seemed to be an increasing drum best of attention and comments in the media the end of last week on the Mets moving closer to a deal for Santana….even though Matt kept saying not to get too excited. That said, the Mets are still in it and the Yanks have not publicily changed their mind. From what I gather from Matt now is that if the Yanks decide to include Hughes they may get Santana. I do not think so. I think if the Mets put of the five prospects and agree to a long term contract with Santana , the deal will get done.
I Omar I trust.
Comment by HOFMets57
2008-01-14 09:19:46

I felt the same way.

I do believe the Mets are the front-runners as they are the only ones pro-actively pursuing Santana, but that could all change if Hank decides Hughes could be dealt. If that happens, the Red Sox will slightly increase their offer (I don’t think they’ll include Lester and Ellsbury together, though) and Omar will be forced to include Fernando Martinez. This is what Bill Smith is hoping for but might not get. Let’s all hope the Twins are forced to accept our current offer.
Comment by stickguy
2008-01-14 09:29:21

“current offer”

Whatever that may actually be!

Comment by Agee's Catch
2008-01-14 08:59:42

Somebody kill me please.
Comment by uncle cliff
2008-01-14 09:05:15

/stabs Agee’s Catch

Comment by mikey_FF
2008-01-14 09:07:13

Hi guys, I’m Bill Murray and this is Groundhog Day.
Comment by bigchart333
2008-01-14 09:17:09

lol

Comment by Slob
2008-01-14 09:55:11

We’d better get going if we’re going to stay ahead of the weather.

Comment by stickguy
2008-01-14 09:12:12

This seems to be when the final push is starting (Hitler marching on Moscow? Given the amount of coverage, it seems like it!)

So, if any team was waiting back with their big offer (Yanks or Sox, or Mets too), it is just about time.

But, we should also know soon if their is a mystery team lying in the weeds, waiting to swoop in at the last minute. No idea who. Angels? Dodgers? Someone shocking like the Phils or Braves (Braves maybe..).

As a general rule, if “everyone” in the sports media says something is certain, it probably isn’t. And way too many people have made this a 3 team race

Just please, get this over with soon so we can move on with our lives!

I bet the person enjoying this the most is Beane. You know he is just sitting there waiting for Santana to go so he can swoop in and try to rob a team that missed Johan by selling them Blanton for nearly the same price.

Hey, psychologically the GM already decided to give up a group of players, so maybe they will just send them to Oakland instead (or at least it works like that in baneland).
Comment by HOFMets57
2008-01-14 09:22:15

Good points.

Let’s just hope it doesn’t lead to that.

Joe Blanton is no way, shape or form comparable to a pitcher like Johan Santana.
Comment by stickguy
2008-01-14 09:30:32

No, but sometimes desperate GMs do stupid things.

Just look at Isaih!
Comment by jamie
2008-01-14 09:35:04

In fairness to all the desperate/stupid GMs out there, Isaiah is in a class by himself.

Comment by ravi3
2008-01-14 09:48:46

Isiah makes Phillips look like Scheurholz (sp?)

Comment by bigchart333
2008-01-14 09:18:47

we should throw in F-Mart and Heilman and ask them to throw in Nathan. THen when they balk, we can say “well now you know how we feel about throwing in a FIFTH “untouchable” prospect, so just lets hammer this out NOW and be done with it so the fellow Metsbloggers can get back to reading nonsense about John Maine’s Dress, and David Wright buying hot dogs from that softball b*tch”

Comment by mr.gee21
2008-01-14 09:31:06

Who is this Johan guy, and where can I find out about him? Why hasn’t anyone mentioned him before?

Comment by jamie
2008-01-14 09:33:02

This is geting aggravating.

Comment by napes22
2008-01-14 09:36:24

Kinda getting tired of these posts. Let me know when he signs somewhere.

Comment by Juuu know what I'm Sayin?
2008-01-14 09:38:34

Yeah, why keep updating the same things over and over with no new news to report?

Comment by QnsNative718
2008-01-14 09:41:47

Cant….Take…..Much….More….

Comment by bigchart333
2008-01-14 09:47:10

the first paragraph of this post is HILARIOUS
“In yesterday’s Daily News, citing a baseball official, Anthony McCaron wrote that the Mets are pursuing a trade for LHP Johan Santana”

wow! are we REALLY? This is news to me
Comment by Jay
2008-01-14 10:07:48

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing. I don’t think we need a link and reference to the Daily New for that breaking news.

Comment by krumbledkookie
2008-01-14 10:01:07

Why is this even posted??? I love this blog, but why all these posts with nothing new to report?

The Mets are pursuing Johan Santana? Stop the Press!!! Not exactly new info.

When there is some actual NEWS, this could become interesting, but at this point, none of us need to know that one more newspaper is reporting what we’ve already known for weeks.
Comment by Charlie
2008-01-14 10:05:49

I have to disagree.

By the time there is “actual” news, this blog will no longer be as interesting regarding this topic because EVERY news source will be reporting and analyzing the trade.

Until “actual” news, Matt is doing exactly what I want him to do…keep the conversation going.
Comment by napes22
2008-01-14 10:08:50

In other news, Abraham Lincoln is still dead.

Comment by RichardK
2008-01-14 10:08:10

This is taking WAY too long, and to think it may go on for another few weeks is disturbing to say the least.

The Twins need to do something soon otherwise all they get is one more year of Santana and then NOTHING.

So the choise is clear, trade now and get something or get one last year of Santana before he files for free agency.

Santana needs to drop the hammer on these guys, because this is getting ridiculous.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:31 am

I like Hughes stuff, but his numbers for the last 3 months of the season looked suspicously similar to Pelf’s. Same with Chamberlin, but his first 2 months were no more impressive than Joe Smith (but for the Skankee hype machine) — and the guy’s never started a big league game! Not to mention that the Yanks track record for patience with starters (and their educated fan base) usually lasts about 23 pitches.

Hughes, if he stays healthy, could be good this year, but rookies his age will still have some growing pains, stamina issues, etc. What happens when he hits August/140 innings (think Maine last year).

Jaba? Who knows? A guy that had to have arm-babying rules last year, and had injuries issues in the past? Can he pitch 5+ innings every day without a problem?

I understand that Pedro might not hold together, but frankly, every pitcher in the league is one pitch away from a blown out elbow.

From a public relations standpoint, I agree. Maybe from a clubhouse presence, grit standpoint, I can buy it. Getting Santana would be a huge difference maker; and we haven’t had a #1 like him in years.

But comparing one teams vs. anothers; The Yanks have twice the salary, new mgr.; Red Sox Worlds Series; Horrible Hank — and think they’re made in the shade with a Sinkerball pitcher who did a Glavine in the post-season; an beyond his primer HGHer, an even further beyond his prime Mussina — and rooks? This should be amusing.

Because Wang, Pettite, Mussina, Hughes, Kennedy (w/ Joba as a possibility) is a lot stronger then Pedro,Maine,O. Perez, El Duque & Pelfry.

Look at it this way, add Santana to the rotation, and it’s a whole new dynamic. Pedro will then be a dominant #2 starter, Maine would be the best #3 in the NL and Perez & Pelfry would be great back of the rotation guys and El Duque can be moved to long relief, so you can savehis arm and maybe he can be available at full strenght in the playoffs as a possible starter.

They also need him the most because of the way last season ended and they need something big and positive going into this season. Santana would absolutly be dominant in the NL, especially in a division that has the Marlins and Nats, add the fact he would be pitching in a pitchers park at Shea this season and Citi next.

The deal needs be be done, but if they can keep Fernando Martinez out of the deal it would be even better, but if it is a deal breaker I would include him.

The “slight pause” in this story is a cause for concern for me. There seemed to be an increasing drum best of attention and comments in the media the end of last week on the Mets moving closer to a deal for Santana….even though Matt kept saying not to get too excited. That said, the Mets are still in it and the Yanks have not publicily changed their mind. From what I gather from Matt now is that if the Yanks decide to include Hughes they may get Santana. I do not think so. I think if the Mets put of the five prospects and agree to a long term contract with Santana , the deal will get done.
I Omar I trust.

I felt the same way.

I do believe the Mets are the front-runners as they are the only ones pro-actively pursuing Santana, but that could all change if Hank decides Hughes could be dealt. If that happens, the Red Sox will slightly increase their offer (I don’t think they’ll include Lester and Ellsbury together, though) and Omar will be forced to include Fernando Martinez. This is what Bill Smith is hoping for but might not get. Let’s all hope the Twins are forced to accept our current offer.

This is taking WAY too long, and to think it may go on for another few weeks is disturbing to say the least.

The Twins need to do something soon otherwise all they get is one more year of Santana and then NOTHING.

So the choise is clear, trade now and get something or get one last year of Santana before he files for free agency.

Santana needs to drop the hammer on these guys, because this is getting ridiculous.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 am

Forget Johan, just sign Livan Hernandez Omar do it..

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:35 am

NEW YORK at GREEN BAY

I heard that New York will wear the white road jerseys with the red trim while Green Bay will have the green home jerseys with gold trim? Is this true? Don't change it, Please, Don't change the Winning Karma on this team. I beg you.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:45 am

NEW YORK at GREEN BAY

I heard that New York will wear the white road jerseys with the red trim while Green Bay will have the green home jerseys with gold trim? Is this true? Don't change it, Please, Don't change the Winning Karma on this team. I beg you Giants.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:46 am

Giant interest as Manning and Co. advance

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2008/01/giant-interest-as-manning-and.html

Wow. I think you guys just broke my inbox.

I get back to my hotel after the game and I’ve got 80 e-mails/posts waiting for me to read. I guess you guys are a little excited, huh?

You should be. That was an amazing performance by the Giants – especially by their defense and their suddenly-star quarterback Eli Manning. All season long I’ve thought the Green Bay Packers were the best team in the NFC. But if the Giants keep playing like they’re playing right now, they can beat them.

Anyway, I’ve got a long trek back from Dallas in a few hours so my game review will have to wait. In the meantime, I’ll leave you with a quick injury report on CB Aaron Ross.

Ross, as you know, left the game in the second quarter when he popped his shoulder out of its socket trying to tackle Dallas RB Marion Barber. He came back in to start the third quarter, but then did the same thing again. He said his arm went numb when it happened and clearly he was in some pain.

He also said he’ll be playing in Green Bay Sunday night.

By the way, the forecast for Sunday in Green Bay is warming up. They’re still calling for snow, but now a high of 11 is forecast and only a low of 8.

Looks like I can bring my golf clubs!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next