Huston Street's available?

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: Huston Street's available?

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:47 am

Wow! Ralph. I could hardly sleep last night. I believe I actually replayed the whole game in my mind.

Here is a quote by Ken Whisenhunt, Arizona Cardinals coach.

"Other than the Giants are on a roll, Green Bay should win the game handily," the executive said. "Unless Green Bay just turns it over and does some stupid (expletive), I would say Green Bay looks pretty good right there. I would say I'd be shocked if Green Bay doesn't win. It could be a blowout."

The odds are GB by 7....obviously still no respect for our Giants...but we like it that way...underdogs, on the road, etc. etc. Glad to see Ross wants to play. I hope he can. Shoulder separations are tricky!

Props to the coaches for the 2nd half adjustment, to the DL and LB's for the pressure and stopping Barber and to the secondary for coming up huge at the end!

However, my biggest prop goes to ELI. That drive at the end of the first half is why we are so excited today. He led them downfield to that TD that killed all of Dallas' momentum.

Ralph, Great Job reporting the Jerry Jones arrogance/ticket thing!

Lets go into GB and do this......

Even if we don't, What a strange, great ride this has been.

Neil

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 am

Here is a quote by Ken Whisenhunt, Arizona Cardinals coach.

"Other than the Giants are on a roll, Green Bay should win the game handily," the executive said. "Unless Green Bay just turns it over and does some stupid (expletive), I would say Green Bay looks pretty good right there. I would say I'd be shocked if Green Bay doesn't win. It could be a blowout."

The odds are GB by 7....obviously still no respect for our Giants...but we like it that way...underdogs, on the road, etc. etc. Glad to see Ross wants to play. I hope he can. Shoulder separations are tricky!

Props to the coaches for the 2nd half adjustment, to the DL and LB's for the pressure and stopping Barber and to the secondary for coming up huge at the end!

However, my biggest prop goes to ELI. That drive at the end of the first half is why we are so excited today. He led them downfield to that TD that killed all of Dallas' momentum.

This is what Wisenhunt said:
Green Bay - Ken Whisenhunt remembers vividly what it was like in 2005 when he was serving as offensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the team won three straight road playoff games and then Super Bowl XL over the Seattle Seahawks.

"Sometimes, when you get into those modes where you're playing on the road, much like we did with the Steelers in '05, you get a mentality," Whisenhunt said Sunday night. "And that helps you be successful."

Whisenhunt, who just completed an 8-8 debut season as coach of the Arizona Cardinals, sees a parallel between the New York Giants squad that will meet the Green Bay Packers Sunday in the NFC Championship Game and the Steelers of coach Bill Cowher that won it all.

"That looks to me what the Giants are doing right now," Whisenhunt said. "It doesn't matter who's playing and what's going on, doesn't matter what the conditions are, they have confidence in what they're doing.

"There's one or two teams each year that finish strong like that. Maybe that's what's working for the Giants right now."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 am

This seems to be when the final push is starting (Hitler marching on Moscow? Given the amount of coverage, it seems like it!)

So, if any team was waiting back with their big offer (Yanks or Sox, or Mets too), it is just about time.

But, we should also know soon if their is a mystery team lying in the weeds, waiting to swoop in at the last minute. No idea who. Angels? Dodgers? Someone shocking like the Phils or Braves (Braves maybe..).

As a general rule, if “everyone” in the sports media says something is certain, it probably isn’t. And way too many people have made this a 3 team race

Just please, get this over with soon so we can move on with our lives!

I bet the person enjoying this the most is Beane. You know he is just sitting there waiting for Santana to go so he can swoop in and try to rob a team that missed Johan by selling them Blanton for nearly the same price.

Hey, psychologically the GM already decided to give up a group of players, so maybe they will just send them to Oakland instead (or at least it works like that in baneland).

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 am

Dayn Perry- The best of the best where it matters most

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7670694

Lineup: Detroit Tigers

Last season, the Tigers ranked second in the AL in runs scored despite playing their home games in a pitcher's haven. They'll be even better in 2008. That's because over the winter, the Tigers drastically upgraded at third base and first base -- their only two weak spots a year ago. Miguel Cabrera has replaced Brandon Inge at third, Carlos Guillen has shifted to first, taking over for the punchless Sean Casey, and Edgar Renteria is now the new shortstop. Put it all together, and you've got a lineup that's potentially above league average at every single spot. You've also got an offense capable of scoring 1,000 or more runs on the season.

Rotation: Boston Red Sox

The Boston rotation boasts a certifiable ace in Josh Beckett and unparalleled depth behind him. Number-two man Daisuke Matsuzaka, now that he's got a season under his belt, should trend upward in 2008. Curt Schilling may be 41, but he's coming off a year in which he posted a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 4.39. Clay Buchholz will contend for Rookie-of-the-Year honors in 2008 and could wind up as the second-best starter on the staff. As for the fifth spot, the Sox have Tim Wakefield and Jon Lester vying for the job. Last season, the Sox ranked second in the AL in rotation ERA, and a full season of Buchholz should be enough to put them on top in 2008.

Bullpen: Boston Red Sox

In 2007, only the Padres had a better bullpen ERA; however, once you correct for the run-suppressing nature of Petco Park and the fact that Boston toils in the DH league, it's clear the Sox's pen was the best. It's a relief corps that has it all -- an elite shutdown closer in Jonathan Papelbon; left-handed setup depth in Hideki Okajima and Javier Lopez; and right-handed setup depth in Mike Timlin, Kyle Snyder, and Manny Delcarmen. As well, they'll have Wakefield or Lester in the mix (whichever one isn't in the rotation), and youngster Craig Hansen might also be ready to contribute. It all adds up to the best bullpen in the game today.

Defense: Toronto Blue Jays

If you pay attention only to the traditional way of measuring defense -- fielding percentage -- you might think the Jays have a fairly average team defense. After all, they ranked only 15th in MLB in fielding percentage. However, if you look to the more advanced (and superior) metrics, then the Jays' excellence comes to light. In fact, Toronto ranks fourth in the majors in Real Zone Rating and first (by a mile) in the Plus-Minus System. Both statistics measure how adept a defense is at converting balls in play into outs, and they differ from fielding percentage in that they measure the ability to make routine plays and a team's fielding range (available at The Hardball Times). Pay attention to the stats that matter, and you'll see that the Jays are tops with the glove.

Bench: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

We won't know exactly who constitutes each team's reserves until active rosters are set coming out of spring training, but we can still make some educated guesses on that front. So barring drastic changes between now and Opening Day, the nod goes to the Angels. Depending on who wins starting jobs and how many pitchers they carry, the Angels could have names like Reggie Willits, Juan Rivera, Maicer Izturis, Erick Aybar, Kendry Morales, and Robb Quinlan lurking on the pine. In terms of capable pinch hitters, platoon partners, playing matchups, and defensive replacements, no one has as many appealing options as Mike Scioscia does.

Anyone surprised that this has been an all-AL affair? Given the relative quality of the two leagues, you shouldn't be.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 am

Red Sox should the team to beat
mminer03 Post #1: Jan 13, 9:21 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1410

once again

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7670694
LouHermanMantle Post #2: Jan 13, 9:23 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1539
how do YOU feel?
mminer03 Post #3: Jan 13, 9:25 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1410

how do YOU feel?

I agree. Pitching wins and they are very deep in both the rotation and pen. detroit could be scary if their starters come back to form and LAA and Cleveland should be even better than 07. But, Boston is in a very good position.
LouHermanMantle Post #4: Jan 13, 9:39 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1539

The only World Series Champion I know of to get worse after, supposedly, getting better is the White Sox. I dont think that'll happen to Boston. Offensively, they look good. Yes, Lowell should come back down to earth, but if you are going to say that, then you have to look at the flip side. Lugo should hit much better, Drew should rebound. Manny is getting in better shape. I find it funny when people say that Lowell should regress....yeah, maybe he will, but you also need to look at both sides to that.

The pitching, I think is very good but might be a drop over rated. I like Beckett, but you never know. 20 Win seasons dont come around very often. If you eliminate that amazing beginning by Dice K, you have an average pitcher. Schilling is nowhere near the pitcher he once was...not like he was ever amazing. A good pitcher on a downward spin. The bullpen is good.

I still say they are the team to beat...
NYRhockey79 Post #5: Jan 13, 11:06 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 293

The only World Series Champion I know of to get worse after, supposedly, getting better is the White Sox. I dont think that'll happen to Boston. Offensively, they look good. Yes, Lowell should come back down to earth, but if you are going to say that, then you have to look at the flip side. Lugo should hit much better, Drew should rebound. Manny is getting in better shape. I find it funny when people say that Lowell should regress....yeah, maybe he will, but you also need to look at both sides to that.

The pitching, I think is very good but might be a drop over rated. I like Beckett, but you never know. 20 Win seasons dont come around very often. If you eliminate that amazing beginning by Dice K, you have an average pitcher. Schilling is nowhere near the pitcher he once was...not like he was ever amazing. A good pitcher on a downward spin. The bullpen is good.

I still say they are the team to beat...

Well, Lugo will never be mistaken for a .300 hitter, so if he gives the Sox his career average of .270/.335 they'd be very happy as he can run the bases well.

In his defense, the 2nd half (including playoffs) was more like the Lugo throughout his career, but the month of june was perhaps the ugliest i've ever witnessed as a fan. .089/.170/.139.

It is a given that Lowell will regress as his 2007 was just off the charts. His rbi totals will decline if only because Manny should have a very good year and will knock more runs in before Lowell ever gets to the plate.

As for Dice-K, your argument both ways. If you eliminate his great start, you have an average pitcher, but if you eliminate his last month or so when he hit the wall, you have a very good pitcher. We'll see how he does in 2008, though i expect an improvement from 2007 considering all he had to go through.

Schilling will def not repeat 2007 next season. Its just not common for a 40+ pitcher to have back-to-back season with an era under 4.0. He will be serviceable, though. The guy just knows how to win.

The ony guy that really irks me is Wakefield. Having him on the rotation means one of the kids (buchholz) will get bumped off the rotation and forces the team to carry his personaly caddy Mirabelli, who cant hit .200.
tygerphan4ever Post #6: 7:43 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 9618
Howz this sh it sound? The Red Sox ARE the defending champion,so of course they're the team to beat. And while they've stood relatively pat this winter...when you're holding a 'full house' why the hell wouldn't you stand pat? Not that I'm accusing anyone of such,whoever underestimates the Red Sox is an idiot from the word go. I predicted the Yankees win that division by a game in 08,but no part of me doesn't realize it's possible for the Red Sox to win it all again.
swiftyread Post #7: 8:10 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 397

Consider this....we have a much better rotation than last year. And we only finished 2 games out, after some big slumps. Our KIDS helped in that area. Johan will be somewhere in JULY. As of right now I dont "give" you pitching at all either. Even if espn's in love with your team. Did Mirabelli just sign again, that mean Wake will have a sure role. Should be a good season. Last one in the Stadium. Maybe Hank wants to go out with a wimper though.

tygerphan4ever Post #8: 8:16 am Quote | Report Violation

Consider this....we have a much better rotation than last year. And we only finished 2 games out, after some big slumps. Our KIDS helped in that area. Johan will be somewhere in JULY. As of right now I dont "give" you pitching at all either. Even if espn's in love with your team. Did Mirabelli just sign again, that mean Wake will have a sure role. Should be a good season. Last one in the Stadium. Maybe Hank wants to go out with a wimper though.

I wouldn't bet on Hank going out with a 'wimper' either. Quite the contrary,I expect Yankee Stadium to be a house of horrors for any team going there,especially come August and September. The Red Sox haven't got this thing locked by any means,but I'm just saying that whoever thinks they're not good enough to pull off another year similar to last year is HIGHLY naive,to say the least.

swiftyread Post #9: 8:27 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 397

I wouldn't bet on Hank going out with a 'wimper' either. Quite the contrary,I expect Yankee Stadium to be a house of horrors for any team going there,especially come August and September. The Red Sox haven't got this thing locked by any means,but I'm just saying that whoever thinks they're not good enough to pull off another year similar to last year is HIGHLY naive,to say the least.

I am not taking the WSC wins away. Its funny how they like to say "this century" all the time. Take The past 10 years. Who has more WsC? More post seasons? I think we may hear a very, very loud pop this year. Ego deflation. Ever hear of the quote "No, the y didnt make us real mad or anything. They just woke us up. And that is bad for them."

l : O /
du'oh!
tygerphan4ever Post #10: 8:41 am Quote | Report Violation

I am not taking the WSC wins away. Its funny how they like to say "this century" all the time. Take The past 10 years. Who has more WsC? More post seasons? I think we may hear a very, very loud pop this year. Ego deflation. Ever hear of the quote "No, the y didnt make us real mad or anything. They just woke us up. And that is bad for them."

l : O /
du'oh!

I understood that perfectly,and the Yankees may very well be that team who's woken up. I think that's very possible,and that's not someone you want mad at you with that kind of lineup. I think that race is really going to be one helluva tussle either way...it's just I happened to pick the Yankees to win it by 1.

EC_Bias Post #11: 10:31 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2849
The RS have the ring and the subsequent bullseye on their back. They are the team to beat. End of story.
tygerphan4ever Post #12: 10:34 am Quote | Report Violation
Bullseye,yes....the bullseye

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:14 am

NFC

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/story.asp?ID=227677&page=1

New York Giants (12-6) at Green Bay (14-3): Like the Patriots and Chargers, these two played in the second week. That one was at Giants Stadium and the Packers won 35-13 before New York understood the defense installed by Steve Spagnuolo, its new coordinator.

That defense, with its stunts and twists, confused and harassed Tony Romo enough in the second half against Dallas on Sunday to keep him from exploiting a secondary without Sam Madison, Aaron Ross and Kevin Dockery, its three top cornerbacks for most of the season.

The Packers opened as a 6 1/2-7-point favorite.

Consider that Eli Manning's revival – eight touchdown passes, just one interception and passer ratings of well over 100 in his last three games – all came in good weather. And he has attributed his problems in the four previous games to wind and cold.

Attention Eli: The long-range forecast for next Sunday in Green Bay is a high of 4 degrees. Yes, Brett Favre, like Manning, is a southerner – his hometown of Kiln, Miss., and Manning's New Orleans are about 60 miles apart.

But Favre has played in Green Bay for 16 seasons and thrives there. Had he been forced to go to Dallas, he would have been returning to a place where he is 0-9 as a starter.

If it turns into a ground battle, there's the matchup that probably will be second only to Brett-Eli in the pregame hype: Ryan Grant, who rushed for 201 yards in the 42-20 win over Seattle in the snow on Saturday vs. the Giants running backs.

Grant, who played high school football less than 20 miles from Giants Stadium, was signed as an undrafted free agent from Notre Dame by New York in 2005. He spent that year on the practice squad, then last season on injured reserve.

He was impressive in preseason but was fifth on the depth chart behind Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Reuben Droughns and Ahmad Bradshaw. The Packers, knowing he would be cut, gave the Giants a sixth-round pick for him before some other team could claim him on waivers.

Now Grant stands between his old teammates and the Super Bowl.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:16 am

What the biggest concern for Giants coming this weekend against Packers besides injuries in secondary? How would Eli handle the cold weather in Green Bay? That's his kryptonite?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 am

2008 Draft:

Mets have 4 good picks in the upcoming draft. Maybe we can start to build a respectable farm system. I've also listed the top 15 potential picks. At 18 we have a shot at getting one of them.

18. Mets (from Braves for loss of Tom Glavine)
22. Mets
Compensation: 3. Mets (for loss of Type A Tom Glavine to Braves)
22. Mets

1. Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt
Alvarez was the only college player not eligible for the 2007 Draft who was a Golden Spikes Award finalist. The Vanderbilt third baseman was the SEC Tournament MVP hit .386, slugged .684 and had a .463 OBP during his standout 2007 season.

2. Jack Armstrong, RHP, Jupiter Community HS, Fla.
The son of the former big league pitcher of the same name, this younger Armstrong is a thin 6-foot-6 righty who throws in the low 90s. He's got room for more with a low-effort delivery. A standout basketball player as well, Armstrong is a terrific athlete.

3. Jordan Danks, OF, University of Texas
Danks, the younger brother of White Sox pitcher John Danks, was a pretty good prospect out of high school but wanted to go to Texas. He hit .332 in his sophomore year with 19 steals and a .440 OBP.

4. Ike Davis, OF, Arizona State
Another good draft prospect out of high school, Davis honored his commitment to ASU. He's been a two-way player as a left-handed pitcher, but his future is at the plate. Davis hit .354 as a sophomore and slugged .547.

5. Anthony Ferrara, Riverview HS, Fla.
Ferrara is a left-hander who has cranked it up into the mid-90s. He had some biceps tendinitis this season, but if he can stay healthy, the sky's the limit.

6. Aaron Hicks, OF/RHP, Woodrow Wilson HS, Calif.
He might be considered the top high schooler in the class as of right now. Hicks is an athletic two-way player who can reach the low 90s from the mound, but is probably an outfielder in the future and a potential five-tool guy.

7. Eric Hosmer, 1B, American Heritage School, Fla.
Hosmer is a pure hitter from the left side of the plate, with a very fluid stroke. He's got some leverage for future power. He also can touch 90 mph on the mound, but the bat is his best tool.
8. Casey Kelly, Sarasota HS, Fla.
The son of Pat Kelly (the one who played briefly for the Blue Jays), Kelly is a big, strong and athletic shortstop. He's one of the top high school quarterbacks in the country as well and he shows the arm strength at short. He's got a short swing with some pop. Even though he's big, he should at least get the chance to stay at short.

9. Daniel Marrs, RHP, James River HS, Va.
Marrs dealt with a little tendinitis this spring, but sits in the low 90s with his fastball. His secondary stuff is a little behind, but he's a tall right-hander with plus arm strength.

10. Brian Matusz, RHP, San Diego
The second-team All-American went 10-3 with a 2.85 ERA, striking out 163 and walking just 37 over 123 innings for San Diego. Hitters managed just a .214 average against him during his sophomore season.

11. Quinton Miller, RHP, Shawnee HS, NJ
A right-hander with a low-90s fastball, he's got more advanced command than some of the other prepsters on this list. He can throw three pitches for strikes and might have a few more ticks on his fastball as he matures.

12. Tyson Ross, RHP, California

It may not have been a good 2007 draft for college right-handers, but 2008 might be different with Matusz and Ross at the top. Ross had a 2.49 ERA for the Cal Bears, striking out 120 and walked 39 in 115 2/3 innings.

14. Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina
A 16th-round selection in 2005, he would have gone much higher if not for his strong commitment to South Carolina. After hitting .317 with 21 homers as a sophomore, he now has 38 round-trippers in his two years of college ball.

15. Jacob Thompson, RHP, Virginia
Thompson became the Friday starter this past season, replacing Sean Doolittle, the school's all-time wins leader. That should tell you enough about him, but his 11-0 record, 1.50 ERA, .198 batting average against and 101 strikeouts in 114 innings show he belongs in the group of elite college righties on this list.

Draft all pitching every year
ZCarter85 Post #3: Jan 09, 2:17 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 897

Draft all pitching every year

You cant just take all pitchers. Now you should take mostly pitchers but you have to find the right position prospect to take along the way. If you do it that way you will never have one of those 23 - 24 year old superstars to build your team around. A Mets fan should know this (Wright/Reyes) without either one of those players you are not as good of a team
Godfather725 Post #4: Jan 09, 2:28 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1277

I've seen Alvarez play a couple times in college and played against him in high school when he was on the Bayside Yankees. Great player.

Played with Justin Smoak for a year, another big star who will make an excellent 1B for a team in the near future.
NewYorkMetsfan31 Post #5: Jan 09, 4:44 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 335
Please draft a catcher and first baseman....two positions we lack in our farm system.
rshadow71885 Post #6: Jan 09, 9:53 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1441
why wasn't alvarez eligible for the draft in 2007?
metcentral Post #7: Jan 09, 11:29 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 87

alvarez wasn't elegilble last year because he was a sophmore and the rule is you can leave as a senior in high school but if you do go to college you can only get drafted after your junior year.

By the way alvarez was picked out of high school by the red sox in the 15th or so round, and there is a very little chance he'll be there when the mets pick (He's a top 5 pick)

Godfather725 Post #8: Jan 10, 12:15 pm Quote | Report Violation

Yeah there is no chance we get Alvarez. He is a 3B, which we probably wouldn't use a 1st rounder on. Even if he demanded huge money, I still don't think he would drop to us.

Smoak was offered 950,000 by the Athletics out of high school to be their first round choice. He negotiated for at least a million, but the Athletics refused. Eventually it turned into a cat and mouse game and Smoak just went to South Carolina. He is 6'4'', excellent fielder, and a switch hitter with power and perfect mechanics.
ACES6788 Post #9: Jan 10, 1:49 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 302

Please draft a catcher and first baseman....two positions we lack in our farm system.

We have Francisoc Pena, who is regarded as the top catching prospect.......

Phlaviophega Post #10: Jan 10, 1:59 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 572

Pena is good but had a poor first year and is 3-4 years away. Carp had a under-whelming year as well, but is already in Binghamton and should improve. I think Smoak would be great but won't be available for us at 18. Did anyone notice how well Jamar Hill and Caleb Stewart did last year? Two AA kids who are already 25 but they look pretty nice to me.
newfan2006 Post #11: Jan 10, 2:45 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 134
if we give up gomez and martinez then i think we need to look at an outfielder atleast 1 ... then a firstbaseman and a catcher ... i know we have carp and pena who are supposed to be the future but you never know ... if carp and pena both pan out and we draft another 1b and catcher and they pan out then we have trade bait ... then all pitchers and please i hope omar goes outside ot the mlb suggested slotting and over pays to get some really good prospects in the minors
b_diddy_7 Post #12: Jan 10, 8:36 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1047

You don't mean the top catching prospect in all of baseball, do you?
jetsfansuperbowl3 Post #13: Jan 10, 10:17 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2991
as someone already said, if we trade martinez and gomez, or even just one, we should look at an OF. besides that, catcher and 1st base are really big needs. if we could get 2 out of those 3, and then just draft pitching, we'll be good.
Godfather725 Post #14: Jan 11, 12:20 pm Quote | Report Violation

I am a big fan of drafting pitchers and catchers. They always seem to be the hardest positions to fill needs for.

For us, outside of those two postions, I would say our biggest need is 1B. Obviosuly if we trade for Santana we would need to re-evaluate that, but getting Smoak would be great. I took a 104mph line drive off the thigh from him 2 years back on a 3-2 backdoor curveball. Hurt so bad lol. His draft status will depend a lot on his year at South Carolina. The lineup their is loaded with big hitters so he should have good protection and a big year.
metcentral Post #15: Jan 13, 11:24 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 87
okay, these are the three prospects that we could possibly pick, and could fall to where we pick Yonder Alsonso 1B miami he is a big time player with huge upside and could go threw the system pretty quick, then Isaac galloway OF he's a high schooler probably will be there for our pick at 22 he's a five tool player with great upside basicaly could be the new FMart if the santana trade goes threw if not still great to have. And then pete paremore C from arizona state A good hitter and good behinde the plate the ideal 33 overal pick.
There is a chance we could get all three and completely restock our farm system.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 am

Source: Yankees pull trade offer for Santana

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3195926

For the second time this offseason, the Yankees have pulled their Phil Hughes-centered trade offer for Johan Santana off the table.

The Yankees, then, will not restart trade talks with the Twins unless Hank Steinbrenner has another change of heart, a baseball official with knowledge of the talks told 1050 ESPN Radio's Andrew Marchand.

The Yankees' desire Monday to turn their attention away from the two-time Cy Young winner leaves Boston and the New York Mets as Minnesota's trade partners, the official told Marchand.

"We're not desperate, so we're not going to chase anything," Steinbrenner told the New York Daily News in early January.

Multiple reports have speculated the Yankees' offer includes pitcher Hughes, outfielder Melky Cabrera, pitching prospect Jeff Marquez and another prospect.

When asked about the Yankees' package of players, Steinbrenner would not comment but did tell the Daily News that "it's still the best one. And let's face it, we're the best able to handle the kind of [nine-figure extension] Santana will be after."

It remains unclear of late if the Twins intend to trade Santana before the start of the 2008 season or hold onto him until the July trade deadline. Minnesota's earlier offer to extend the left-hander's contract by four years and $80 million was rejected.

Rick Anderson, the Twins' pitching coach, wants to see an outcome as much as anyone.

"I wake up in the morning and hurry up and open up the paper to see if anything happened," Anderson, who has tutored Santana since 2002, the first year his potential began to show, told The Associated Press.

Santana has been in Venezuela since the regular season ended, but he recently arrived in Fort Myers, Fla., to start his workouts.

In his first published comments this winter, Santana told the local newspaper that he didn't know what to think about the situation.

"I'm a Minnesota Twin. That's all I know. It's up to them. Whatever they have to do is going to happen. It has nothing to do with me at all," Santana told the News-Press of Fort Myers recently. "I said it from the beginning during the season last year, whatever will be the best for this team and this organization, I'll agree with that."

Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, told AP last week his relationship with new Twins general manager Bill Smith has remained strong through this drawn-out process as rumors -- both founded and otherwise -- swirl throughout the oversaturated sports media market.

Greenberg, in an e-mail, insisted he has not demanded to Smith that he complete a deal before Twins pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on Feb. 17.

Last edited by on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:13 am

Isn't this the 3rd time they've pulled their offer?

Why is it even news anymore

Now I start to get scared when they say "Now this leaves the Mets and Redsox as the only destinations for Santana"

Boston doesn't need him, and they won't sacrafice everything to get him. They only wanted to scare the Yankees away, thats why their deal didn't happen.

So am I really supposed to believe that we are the only team that will do this? No. I'm sure there is another team out there that can sneak up and get involved with avegence.

Hank Steinbrenner wrote:
Hey! Look at me!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:16 am

I think "Lucifer" aka Lucchino woke up yesterday and realized his name had not been in the news for a few weeks so he had to make some sort of news to satisfy his massive ego even though He's not owner of The Redsox. Shut up Lucchino.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:19 am

As a Yankees fan i go to sleep smiling every night knowing that the Redsox franchise is now in the hands of the biggest idiot and hypocrite in sports. not that the Redsox having an hypocrite President and his name is Lucchino also likes the spotlight and that likes to call the shots is priceless. Lucchino please shut up, I hope He eats his words for calling The Yankees "Evil Empire" .. Welcome to Darkside Lucchino..

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:21 am

h

Source: Yankees pull trade offer for Santana
ESPN.com news services

Monday, January 14, 2008

For the second time this offseason, the Yankees have pulled their Phil Hughes-centered trade offer for Johan Santana off the table. The Yankees, then, will not restart trade talks with the Twins unless Hank Steinbrenner has another change of heart, a baseball official with knowledge of the talks told 1050 ESPN Radio's Andrew Marchand. The Yankees' desire Monday to turn their attention away from the two-time Cy Young winner leaves Boston and the New York Mets as Minnesota's trade partners, th ...

Read full story

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
0 / 1500
Cancel
Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.

* Comments (1-36)
o
ver1246
ver1246 (3 minutes ago)
As a Yankees fan i go to sleep smiling every night knowing that the Redsox franchise is now in the hands of the biggest idiot and hypocrite in sports. not that the Redsox having an hypocrite President and his name is Lucchino also likes the spotlight and that likes to call the shots is priceless. Lucchino please shut up, I hope He eats his words for calling The Yankees "Evil Empire" .. Welcome to Darkside Lucchino..
o
ICSolo
ICSolo (3 minutes ago)
Report Violation | Ignore User

to echo an earlier comment, I do feel bad for Cashman...just when you think it is safe to be the GM of the Yankees.....

as for this latest "development": Until Hank Steinbrenner actually stands behind his words, I won't believe any of it. (Not signing A-Rod if he leaves, No trade with the Twins involving Santana - Pt. 1, and now No trade with the Twins involving Santana- Pt. 2)

Awful that I actually miss Georgie.....
o
djm1682
djm1682 (3 minutes ago)
antilizer - don't even get me started! hank is going to cost us (nyy fan here) at least one landmark trade in the next five years. dude really needs to shut his mouth, i don't think he realizes that he's alienating the very people he needs in order to get deals of this magnitude done.
o
hoosierdaddy247
hoosierdaddy247 (3 minutes ago)

Hety wrigley... You a little bitter about something man?? I mean it sounds like your a little jealous that hank was born a steinbrenner. Its not his fault man...let it go.

But i agree santana/twins need to figure out what the hell they want!
o
Baseballbenchwarmer
Baseballbenchwarmer (4 minutes ago)
I think that the Yankees are pulling out to pressure Minnesota to trade Santana to them. The Twins will think twice and possibly want the Yankees to put that offer back on the table.
o
wana_be_gm
wana_be_gm (4 minutes ago)

Is anyone ever going to believe anything Hank says ever again?

Obviously the Yankees aren't out of the picture for Santana. The best pitcher in baseball and the sports richest team has no interest anymore?

Whatever...I don't buy and neither do the Twins.
o
ver1246
ver1246 (6 minutes ago)
I think "Lucifer" aka Lucchino woke up yesterday and realized his name had not been in the news for a few weeks so he had to make some sort of news to satisfy his massive ego even though He's not owner of The Redsox. Shut up Lucchino.
o
antilizer
antilizer (6 minutes ago)
As a die-hard red sox fan i go to sleep smiling every night knowing that the yankees franchise is now in the hands of the biggest idiot in sports. not that the yankees having an idiot owner matters but having an idiot owner that also likes the spotlight and that likes to call the shots is priceless. i love having hank steinbrenner run the yankees.
o
ptgvn
ptgvn (7 minutes ago)
Hank is a colossal idiot, regardless of what happens with this trade/non-trade. The Twins should hang to to JS until the trade deadline at least. If somehow Boston manages to land Santana, the Yankees might as well phone it in this year.
o
djm1682
djm1682 (8 minutes ago)

Even I'm sick of this storyline. Either accept one of the offers on the table or move on. Starting to think that walking away is the best thing...

The NFL also must have much smarter PR people. Amazing the public doesn't seem to mind all that much about football guys on the juice.
o
msczona74
msczona74 (10 minutes ago)
I think Hank woke up yesterday and realized his name had not been in the news for a few weeks so he had to make some sort of news to satisfy his massive ego.
o
altrock1903
altrock1903 (12 minutes ago)
a baseball related story that doesn't mention steroids or clemens? i'm not sure i can respond to it. thankfully i still have 30 days 19 hours 50 minutes and 16,15,14,13 seconds to get in shape for spring training.
o
ptgvn
ptgvn (13 minutes ago)
Maybe the thought of 38 games against the Tigers and the Indians without Santana is more than the Twins can stomach right now.
o
heavyhitter86
heavyhitter86 (13 minutes ago)
Yay!?!?!?!?!
o
wrigley5151
wrigley5151 (14 minutes ago)
Hank is a #### like his father. If anything, more so, since he has been a spoiled brat his whole life that was given everything on a silver platter. I wish there was some way to get the Steinbrenner's out of Baseball. Please Mr. Cuban, since they won't give you the cubs, go after the yankees.
o
rmfkemo
rmfkemo (15 minutes ago)
ESPN STOP MAKING NEWS STORIES OUT OF NOTHING!! THIS IS NOT A NEWS STORY!!! WOW YOU BROKE A STORY THAT ALLEGEDLY THE YANKEES PULLED AN OFFERED THAT ALLEGEDLY INCLUDED PHIL HUGHES!! ALLEGEDLY!!! AGAIN, THIS IS A STORY WHEN SANTANA SAYS, "IVE BEEN TRADED!" UNTIL THEN, FOCUS ON FOOTBALL, GET TREY WINGO OFF OF PRIMETIME HE SOUNDS AWFUL AND TRIES TOO HARD, GET IT BACK TO WHEN IT WAS BOOMER AND TJ.
o
jfunderburk44
jfunderburk44 (15 minutes ago)
Let's go Mets! Let's go Mets! Let's go Mets!
o
gethigher13
gethigher13 (15 minutes ago)
Why empty the farm for Johan when you can sign CC in the offseason?
o
thescarletknights
thescarletknights (15 minutes ago)
hank sucks. Him and his stupid ultimatums. what a waste
o
arthurhuger
arthurhuger (16 minutes ago)
I know this is starting to get boring, but what are the TWINS thinking. The Yankees offer is by FAR THE BEST available.
o
yankees07bears
yankees07bears (16 minutes ago)

boring commentors...go talk in the NFL section if that's what you want to read/talk about. Why come here just to say you don't want to read this article? What a stupid waste of time..

I for one am glad the Yankees are backing out. I know Santana is obviously a great pitcher, but Minnesota is asking way too much for a guy with only one year left on his contract.
Santana will go back to Min and the Yankees will sign him as a free agent next year! That, and of course still keep Phil Hughes!
o
cechris24
cechris24 (16 minutes ago)

Hank makes his father seem like Marcel Marceau.

Stop talking about your team as if its a fantasy baseball league. Frankly, you have no idea whether "yours is the best offer or not" And why the need to discuss everything in the media? Brian Cashman you deserve better.
o
gethigher13
gethigher13 (16 minutes ago)
Someone like Rodney Harrison yet the NE fans love that guy., Hate Merriman but love Rodney!
o
shacken
shacken (16 minutes ago)
Right on, howlansc. Hank seems insulted by the fact that the Twins are hesitant to take a 4th OF, one top-end pitching prospect, and a couple middling prospects in exchange for the best pitcher in baseball. The Sox and Mets also have intriguing offers on the table with each team offering a deeper stable of prospects than the Yanks. I know yous guys in NYC think that Phil Hughes is the "bee's knees" and all, but in reality he's just another prospect who may or may not work out. We all already know that Johan is great, so if Hank wants him, he's going to have to drop his ego and play ball with Bill Smith.
o
BRADY112803
BRADY112803 (18 minutes ago)
THIS GUY IS CRAZIER THAN HIS FATHER.... YANKS WILL BE NO GOOD FOR A LONG TIME TO COME!!!!!
o
ptgvn
ptgvn (18 minutes ago)
Hank makes his daddy look like a damn baseball genius AND a PR expert . . . neither one is an easy thing to do by the way.
o
BGSSGB
BGSSGB (19 minutes ago)
dhe30 - Don't act like baseball is the only sport where people juice. You seriously think in todays NFL players don't juice? In no way am I trying to defend baseball but it seems like when players get caught in football it's always a pretty big name player.
o
howlansc
howlansc (19 minutes ago)
Its almost like Hank is insulted by the Twins not jumping on his offer right away. Doesn't he realize that this is a big decision for the Twins and will greatly effect their future. They shouldn't be jumping at any offer they should be taking their time.
o
Torey92260
Torey92260 (20 minutes ago)
Best Trade Yankees will NEVER make!
o
MattSk123
MattSk123 (20 minutes ago)
The Yankees either need to poop or get off the pot. The same thing every week.
o
bruins309
bruins309 (21 minutes ago)
Well, I guess Hank needed his name in the paper again. Now he can go back to smoking butts out back...
o
Brooklynsnakes
Brooklynsnakes (21 minutes ago)
This has turned into a bigger soap opera than Randy Johnson was a few years ago! Oh and that didn't turn out too well so just leave him alone!
o
dhe30
dhe30 (22 minutes ago)
Does anyone care about baseball now? Hell for all I know, Santana could be juiced. Seems like everyone else does it.
o
seedorf34
seedorf34 (23 minutes ago)
Lets make it happen Boston..
o
oland
oland (24 minutes ago)
I couldn't agree with you more hkrant. I could care less now. Go Patriots!
o
hkrant
hkrant (37 minutes ago)
boring news

Comments that include profanity, or personal attacks, or antisocial behavior such as "spamming" or "trolling," or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our terms of use. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:23 am

Haha, I would say "fuck that guy" but its not even worth it, because hes an idiot.

And hopefully Jeff Wilpon never turns out like this. And hopefully x 2, we can wind up with him, and flex our muscles of "being able to handle the kind of nine figure extension Santana wants"

Especially since apparantly Santana wants the Mets.

Hank Steinbrenner wrote:
Hey! Look at me!

Isn't that the truth

Quote:
When asked about the Yankees' package of players, Steinbrenner would not comment but did tell the Daily News that "it's still the best one. And let's face it, we're the best able to handle the kind of [nine-figure extension] Santana will be after."

How arrogant can you ge

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 am

Hey RedsoxFan791? Did you watch Clemens performance in the playoffs against Indians? I guess you been sleeping. No thanks to Roger, Redsox could have him, I hope Redsox sign him to a contract.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 am

Is it just me or is Hank Steinbrenner the least trustworthy person in sports (this side of Scott Boras, of course)? I'll be honest, I don't exactly feel any love towards the artist formerly known as George Steinbrenner, but I give him a lot of credit for being willing to do whatever it takes to ensure that his team is among the best in baseball. Hank seems intent on destroying his father's work through lies and half-truths; he's making a mockery of himself. Take a look at the A-Rod negotiations. After A-Rod opted out, Hank said that, under no circumstances, would he negotiate a deal with A-Rod. Then he changed his tune by saying that he would only negotiate if A-Rod initiated the discussion. Of course, everyone knows what happened there. Now, not once, but twice, Steinbrenner has walked away from trade negotiations with Santana. In the first case, he said the door was closed one day, then a few days later admitted that maybe the door was open a little. As it turned out, the door was open the whole way. Now, its shut it again. Then take Clemens, first he said that the Yanks wouldn't re-sign Clemens, now it's a possibility. Which is it, Hank? Make up your mind. No one believes your bull #### anyway, so why put on the charade?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:28 am

Same thing with Theo Epstein, He change his tune after He said He resign as Gm of The Redsox back in 2005 , when Beckett deal announces, He had the guts to wear a gorilla outfit and come back as Gm of The Redsox..

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:31 am

Seriously, i don't know what the Twins are waiting for to trade Santana. None of the 3 teams (Sox, Yankees and Mets) are going to increase their offer. Don't the Twins know that once one of these 3 teams trade away the farm system to acquire Santana, they'll have to hand in a 140million contract to Santana. Santana has already said that if he's not traded this offseason, he won't his no-trade clause to be trated in the middle of the season. So what is making them think they will get more in return by waiting.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:36 am

Well, this should end this saga until the trade deadline (if he is still on the Twins) or maybe until the offseason next year as a FA.

I think we WILL see Phil pitch in the pinstripes again!

I can't wait to see all the people who read the exact same article and then amazingly draw the conclusion that Hank still wants to trade Hughes.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:38 am

I believe this report just like all the other ones that weren't true. If the Yankees actually wanted to pull an offer off the table, I am sure Hank would want to be the one to say it. All the other reports said they hadn't actually made another proposal to the Twins and haven't talked to them at all. Even Hank said he doesn't think he would do it, but thought the Twins would come back i they decided to move him. We shall see. The Twins are just being a little ridiculous at this point, not wanting to pull a trigger. End of the day they will end up with the worst package they had available with how long they waited, I just hope the Sox don't get him for nothing. Then this whole thing will come back to haunt us. Hank or Cashman or whomever botched this whole thing up from the get go. There is no reason the Yankees should be completely out of this trade, maybe pull back Hughes, but that's it.

Until Santana is officially traded and/or the trade deadline passes every news item/rumor regarding the Santana Circus, I take with a grain of salt.

No quoted sources, who wrote the article and no recent quotes or factual info. from the Yankees. Is this story just a ploy to cause more turmoil for the Yankees??? I find this hard to believe someone finally has knowledge of the situation, but no one could pinpoint if the Yankees had an offer currently on the table for the Twins.

actually last week Hank said they never put the offer back on the table after they pulled at the winter meetings. They were talking to the twins but a deal was never back on the table. I'll look for the qoutes, give me a few mintues

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:44 am

I am glad the Yanks are groveling to try to get this guy. We have 3 quality young arms all set to start next year. If the Twins want to try to make us sweat and increase our price then screw them.

George steinbrenners wallet must be rolling over in his grave. Give the man da money we are the yank$$s after all

Same thing , The reason why am i reading this article, i hate the Redsox , Celtics and Pats like most of america

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 am

I have a great idea ..how about the Redsox buying every big star they can get they can over pay for Dice-k and Jd Drew and there pay roll can be $1 billon in payroll, The Boston Tax-payers can pay for the rich guys parking spot and you wont win it for another 6 years go Redsox keep doing business that way very smart

Mariano Rivera and Posada came up from Yankees Farm system. what do you say now?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 am

What is the prob here? I know what's going on. The Twins are trying to be greedy. They must believe Sr. Stienbrenner will eventually step in. History shows what pappa Stienbrenner wants he usually gets. I love that though. That's power. So they must think the longer they hold out the better the deal will get. Hopefully when the dust cloud thins out the Yanks get their man & the Twins have to settle for less since they have no better takers. Lets put our thinking caps on for a minute. Do you realy think if there was a bette roffer out there for the twins that they wouldn't have made it yet?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:54 am

ESPN Radio's Andrew Marchand reports that the Yankees have again pulled their offer for Johan Santana off the table. Hank Steinbrenner could certainly change his mind again, but it seems to be down to the Red Sox and Mets. And recent rumblings point to the Mets as the frontrunner.

The Yankees' rotation currently shapes up as Andy Pettitte, Chien-Ming Wang, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, and probably Mike Mussina. Ian Kennedy will be nipping at Mussina's heels in Spring Training, while Kei Igawa's status is unknown. Keep in mind that Chamberlain pitched only 116 innings in 2007, most of them in the minors. It would be surprising to see the Yankees take him past 150 innings this year. What are your thoughts on the current Yankees rotation, sans Johan?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:55 am

GSaggese: "If these are the offers for Santana now, what will they be just before the trading deadline? I think Minnesota is thinking about that as they reject offer after offer."

Any mid-season offer will be substantially less than what is on the table now. No one is going to part with major talent for half a season (plus gaudy contract extension). Every day the Twins don't pull the trigger, Johan's trade value decreases.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next