Huston Street's available?

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: Huston Street's available?

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:58 am

Even If Mets landed Johan, It will not be a sure thing that They will get to The World Series beat Al teams like Redsox and Tigers. Both of these teams are better than Mets right now.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:04 am

Watch the RedSox pull this deal off at the last minute. Then, instead of winning the A.L. East by 8 games, they will win the A.L. East by 15 games. Why would NY want to part with it's best outfielder anyway ? And I already sick of Hank and his mouth, the only person in NY City thats loves themselves more than Hank Steinbrenner is Donald Trump.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:05 am

Yea what's up with all them haters. Why all non Yankee fans haters? Mad because the Yankees have more world series wins & your team might have one or none? What are you all mad your team can't even come up with a half way decent offer to even contend in the sweepstakes? hahaha I just laugh at all of you haters. I speak in behalf of Yankees nation. Yanks in '08

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 am

I wasn’t aware that a Phil Hughes-based package was ever on the table. My impression was that the Yanks only ever offered Kennedy. The Twins should have thought hard about a Hughes-led deal, even if it was only Hughes. He’s the best pitching prospect in baseball.

Yankees & Sox only seem intent on keeping him from going to each other. Best for all concerned if he joins Mets, including the Twims since they will not have to face him.

Mr. Santana, please sign here…

I could see them offering a Joba Chamberlain centered deal for Johan. Personally, if I were the Yanks I’d rather keep Hughes. Joba just seems overweight and injury prone, and thats with never starting a game in the show.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:09 am

Hughes offer was on the table for a few days during WInter meetings, then Hank set a deadline which passed and the offer was pulled.

Yankees & Sox only seem intent on keeping him from going to each other. Best for all concerned if he joins Mets, including the Twims since they will not have to face him.

Mr. Santana, please sign here…

I disagree, Joba is their pride and joy.. He has the best stuff overall. Kennedy is not enough, Hughes is too much but Joba is out of the question.

I’d take a prospect or 2 off the list since the Yankees are out of the running. Boston was only going after him so that the Yankees couldn’t get him. I believe the Twins are digging themselves a huge hole here and if I was Minaya I’d make them pay for being such scum bags and offer them one good prospect with a couple of 2nd tier ones. If the rumors are correct and Santana only wants to come to New York or Boston, I believe the Mets are in the driver’s seat finally.

at the end of the day I just can’t see the Yanks trading away their top pitching prospect, Hughes, and Melky Cabrera and another prospect or two for a player who is going to put them yet another $20 + million over the luxury tax. If that Yankee trade package is offered I think the Red Sox will become active to keep Santana away from the Yanks. If the deal hinges on Martinez I think the Mets are willing to throw in Martinez to guarantee a trade to the Mets.

From the Yanks and Red Sox perspective, I think trading for Santana is much more expensive for them in both prospects and money than for the Mets.

but then again…it is the Yanks.

To Matt, and the others getting “worried about the wording” here: are you ignoring the very next sentence in the ESPN article?

“The Yankees, then, will not restart trade talks with the Twins unless Hank Steinbrenner has another change of heart, a baseball official with knowledge of the talks told 1050 ESPN Radio’s Andrew Marchand.”

Saying that they “will not restart trade talks with the Twins” sure as hell sounds to me like they don’t have any offers out there…

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 am

Hollywood, You don't know what The Yankees are offering behind the scene. The media leak out Hughes name. It's only speculation at this point.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:13 am

i think the Cubs are the only franchise stupid enough to have a $1 billion idollar pay roll and get there a55es kicked year after year. It's been 100 years since they won. ...lets get some more old washed up guys fukodome and sign Ex Yankee Alfonso Soriano to massive contract. It was a perfect fit for a stupid front office

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 am

if the twins do indeed move santana it will only be to the mets
they are waiting for them to drop their top OF prospect in the 5 for 1 deal
if they add that outfielder he will go to the mets
if not he stays in MN
those are the only 2 options now

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:17 am

Mariano,Rivera, Cano, Jeter,Posada,Melky,Joba,Hughes,Kennedy,Wang, Oops..... all came up from Yankees system.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:18 am

"Mariano Rivera and Posada came up from Yankees Farm system. what do you say now?"

In response to ver1246.

Yeah well Papelbon, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Delcarmen, Youkilis, and Buchholz all came up through the Red Sox farm system. Not to mention that they got Beckett, Lowell, Schilling, and Crisp by trading prospects out of the farm system. So what's you're point, that the Yankees farm system sucks compared to the Red Sox?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:20 am

Not to mention Yankees traded all their prospects away.

Juan Rivera, Nick Johnson, Westbrook..

Yankees system are better than Redsox

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:24 am

I am not concerned about Hank. Hank and Hal have equal say in this situation despite Hank having the big mouth. Hal doesn’t want to do it for money reasons Hank wants to do it for the splash factor, Cashman doesn’t want to because he wants to keep the system that he has built with the big pitchers. Hank will need to do a lot of convincing in order to get this done.

I am actually worried about a sleeper team now. What if the Dodgers, Angels, or Cubs magically enter the race last minute? I guess it would be up to Johan to help us out there as all of those teams have the prospects and the money to get Johan. That’s why I don’t want this to go on much longer. If we lessen our offer based on the Yankee’s then the Twins will start digging for other teams. Right now we are in the drivers seat, we have the rare car we want and will pay sticker price for it and right now no one else will.

I raised the same mystery team question on an earlier thread. Who know’s which team is laying in the weeds waiting to strike?

Wouldn’t it be a kick in the teeth in th eteeth if the next offcial announcement was that the Braves just traded for him? They might not have the budget, but they probably have the young talent!

Now the Cubs, that is interesting… I would worry more about it if mark Cuban had already bought them!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:27 am

I would say same thing.. The Redsox have been a joke for last 86 years . Can you at least Give The Yankees some respect?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:29 am

Are you sure about that Hollywood?

Redsox are rank #2 this year by BA and Yankees are rank fifth. entering 2008 . Five years from now, We will see which of these teams have a better farm system

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 am

Cabera's WAY overrated. No ceiling? How about no floor. He doesn't hit for power, doesn't walk much, doesnt steal bases all that well, and actually got worse instead of better with the bat last year. Defense-schme-fense. At this level, you need guys who can hit, and cabrera doesn't look like he's ever going to be much more than a fring-average major league bat.

The Yankees should take a Hughes/Melky/Jackson /Marquez for Santana trade in aheartbeat, and that's exactly why the Twins haven't accepted it yet. They know he's worth more.

http://boyofsummer. blogspot.com/2007/11 /santana-question-to -trade-or-not-to.htm l

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:31 am

As a Sox fan you have to love this. Theo never wavered in his offer and stuck to his guns. He didn't budge, he refused to give up Jacoby and Lester and then the Yankees still upped their offer and it wasn't enough to get Johan.

Even if the Sox don't get Johan they are still the favorite in the east and probably should be for a while due to their relative youth mixed with great veteran presence like Lowell.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:33 am

#
January 14th, 2008 at 1:03 pm (Reply)

Saved, of course, until Hank decides otherwise or the Sox suddenly “have the inside track” with a package centered around Coco Crisp and Craig Hanson…

On the other hand, it really does look like there is more power sharing going on than Hank would like to admit.
#
E-ROC says:
January 14th, 2008 at 1:17 pm (Reply)

Hank wants Santana. It’s all up to Hal whether deal happens or not. I can’t wait to see a motivated and healthy Hughes this season. It’s going to be fun seeing the glimpses of dominance. The Show can’t get here any sooner.
#
Rich says:
January 14th, 2008 at 1:19 pm (Reply)

It’s difficult to truly know which offer was on the table at any particular time given the vagaries of Hank’s shifting positions.
#
Count Zero says:
January 14th, 2008 at 1:20 pm (Reply)

Happy One Month Till Pitchers & Catchers!!! Especially the pitchers. ;-)
#
godfather says:
January 14th, 2008 at 1:25 pm (Reply)

my left one for a hughes chance to spearhead nyy pitching…really want to see him in stripes because he seems to “get it”; of course, i’ve been watching them since a guy named joe played center

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:37 am

I think it's not tampering because they are involved in negotiations with Santana?s team?? It?s only tampering if the Twins file charges against the yankees with MLB. As long as there is a potential trade on the table between the two teams the Twins will not file charges.Hank needs to shut up and He's a bad businessman.

if what Hank is doing is tampering, the Mets did the same thing earlier this offseason when I heard a report on ESPN radio, where Minaya said that the Mets would offer a 7 year deal to Johan, even though they wouldnt go above 5 for Zito

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:41 am

cranky - agreed that teams shouldn't give up too much for him since he'll be a FA after this season, but like i said, w-l record can be very misleading. js has been the most dominant pitcher in baseball the last five years. there's simply no one in his league.

i also said he threw 40 more innings than beckett, which is not true. was thinking of cc. santana threw 220 to becketts 200. i'd still take him over anyone else in the league. think about what he could do with the run support the yanks would provide. scary. even scarier to think of him beating up the nl. he could win 25 games.

I wonder what the Marlins were rated as in 2003.Until the season starts and finishes None of us know how it will work out.Maybe Beckett gets crushed in the face with a line drive.Out for the season.Maybe Chamberlain is just hype.You just never know.

Just face it, Melky is a 4th outfielder on any play-off team. No bat, above avg speed, great arm strength, and no plate discipline. Sounds like a superstar to me. He's only a starter to the Minn., K.C., and Pitt. of the baseball universe...

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:43 am

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Just heard on ESPN News XM Radio that according to 1050 Yankees are officially out.

The Yankees have us all in the palm of their greasy fat hands.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 am

Troy Glaus is "just laid back"--Bob Nightengale

http://xmmlbchat.blogspot.com/

On Baseball Beat today, Charley and Bob discuss latest Troy Glaus moves. Charley, gently as is his style, mentions how Glaus has moved around quite a bit the last few years. Nightengale says well he thinks it's just that Glaus is a laid-back California kind of guy and not everyone understands that approach. For instance, he notes the Diamondbacks weren't crazy about that aspect of his personality. Glaus didn't want to take extra infield practice or extra BP, just wanted to do his thing. Bob cites no other behavior problems for Glaus which makes him a very tolerant and forgiving Minnesota and USA Today baseball writer in certain instances.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:50 am

Rosenthal: Jays Could Finish Above Yanks

http://waswatching.com/

I heard Ken Rosenthal talking about the Toronto Blue Jays today during "Baseball This Morning" on XM Satellite Radio.

Ken said that the Jays “had a chance” but “not a great chance” to “finish above the Yankees in the standings this year.” He was not talking about Toronto finishing in first place. So, basically, what he was saying here is that the Yankees have a chance (albeit, in his estimation, not a huge chance) to finish third in the A.L. East in 2008. (I assume third since I can’t imagine anyone, today, picking the O’s or Rays to pass the Yankees in the final standings.)

So, Yankees fans, how do you feel about this? Related, if it comes true, and the Yankees do finish in third place this season, what kind of grade would you assign to the Yankees for 2008?

Me? I guess I would have to say, now, that I would not be shocked if the Yankees finished third this year – I can see their bullpen and the question marks in their rotation being a potential downfall. But, part of me still thinks that Joe Girardi will find a way to make the Yankees into a team that will win 90+ games this season. As far as a final grade, if the Yankees are the third best team in the East this season, I dunno? It would not be an “A” or a “B” – for sure. Their win total would dictate whether it’s an “F” or a “D” – so, for now, I would offer that a third place finish, at best, means the team would earn a “C” (from me) – and maybe lower.
ht: Steve L from Waswatching.com

WasWatching.com

« Pinch Hitting @ The LoHud Yankees Blog | Main | Yankees Fight Song »
January 14, 2008

I heard Ken Rosenthal talking about the Toronto Blue Jays today during "Baseball This Morning" on XM Satellite Radio.

Ken said that the Jays “had a chance” but “not a great chance” to “finish above the Yankees in the standings this year.” He was not talking about Toronto finishing in first place. So, basically, what he was saying here is that the Yankees have a chance (albeit, in his estimation, not a huge chance) to finish third in the A.L. East in 2008. (I assume third since I can’t imagine anyone, today, picking the O’s or Rays to pass the Yankees in the final standings.)

So, Yankees fans, how do you feel about this? Related, if it comes true, and the Yankees do finish in third place this season, what kind of grade would you assign to the Yankees for 2008?

Me? I guess I would have to say, now, that I would not be shocked if the Yankees finished third this year – I can see their bullpen and the question marks in their rotation being a potential downfall. But, part of me still thinks that Joe Girardi will find a way to make the Yankees into a team that will win 90+ games this season. As far as a final grade, if the Yankees are the third best team in the East this season, I dunno? It would not be an “A” or a “B” – for sure. Their win total would dictate whether it’s an “F” or a “D” – so, for now, I would offer that a third place finish, at best, means the team would earn a “C” (from me) – and maybe lower.

Posted by Steve Lombardi at January 14, 2008 10:16 AM
Comments

Okay?

Ken Rosenthal says a lot of things. Most of them are bullshit. The Jays have zero chance, with that pathetic offense, to finish above the Yankees. AJ Burnett is still a humongous injury risk, and you really think Dustin McGowan has the ability to pick up the slack? Nevermind that their bullpen isn't really any better than the Yankees', and they're more likely to finish 4th behind the Devil Rays than 2nd above the Yankees.

Frankly, I'm glad the Yankees are being continually underrated and counted out. Makes it that much nicer when they reach 93+ wins yet again.

Posted by: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 14, 2008 10:28 AM

Well, I shouldn't say that about their bullpen. It was darn good last season. And yet, they still finished with 83 wins. Now that Troy Glaus is gone, it makes them even worse. The only way the Jays have gone this offseason is down. Rosenthal is basically saying the Yankees have a chance to finish with 82 wins. Woopdeedoo, so does everyone.

Posted by: Andrew [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 14, 2008 10:30 AM

Highly doubtful imo as Toronto will not pitch as well and the Yankees not as poorly. Toronto starters pitched about 80 innings more and the Yankees relievers had to pitch 80 innings more. With the young Yankees starters pitching more innings and a better pen that does not walk batter the Yankees will be easily better.

Also if Girardi managed last year the extra 80 innings the pen pitched would have been divided up between Britton and Ramirez where as Torre ignored them.

Posted by: dan l [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 14, 2008 12:24 PM

One time, this other guy on some sports radio show said that Derek Jeter was gay. How do you feel if that's true. Another time, some baseball player said that there were no such things as dinosaurs. How do you feel about that?

Lots of people say lots of speculative things. Here's how I feel about all of them, let's see what the evidence says, then I'll start worrying about it.

Posted by: SteveB [TypeKey Profile Page] at January 14, 2008 12:45 PM

If, as is now being reported by ESPN, the Yankees have again pulled their offer for Santana (and Hank sticks to that position), the Yankees will have less expectations and be under less pressure than have been since 1996, yet they have more than enough talent to win the WS.

So let the media predict whatever they want. The present and the future are so bright, you gotta wear shades.

Last edited by on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:02 pm

The Yankees are a joke, how is anyone supposed to take them seriously? Wasn't this the team that gave Minnesota a "deadline" of the monday after the winter meetings to finish a deal? And then as soon as Haren got traded, they were all of a sudden back in the hunt for Santana?

Really, anyone who believes anything a Yankee executive says anymore is just plain ignorant

Hopefully the Mets get Santana so they can overpay another small pitcher past his prime way too much money.

Loved you Pedro, but you didn't think you'd play 3 more years after you left Beantown, did you?

joeymitch - there is no question that santana is the best pitcher on the planet, as so many often refer to him. but that doesn't mean he's "worth" what the twinkies want, given the situation. teams know they can just wait a yr and bid on him instead of giving up talent and cash. that's why none of the offers have been that overwhelming, even for a guy of santana's talents.

look, i'd love to have him in the bronx, but it's not "worth" mortgaging the future for him.

hey ryan...since when is santana another "small pitcher"? do you even watch baseball? have you seen him play? name one pitcher who is better all around than johan santana!!! you can't! the ones you'll probably think of have offense behind them too...check out santana's losses this season and pay attention to the final scores! once in awhile, he gives up one or two runs, do you expect him to shut everyone out? I mean yeah, he's damn good, but come on! get your head out of your a55!!!!!

hey ryan...since when is santana another "small pitcher"? do you even watch baseball? have you seen him play? name one pitcher who is better all around than johan santana!!!

He is refering to his physical size, not his talent. Pedro was a very small guy, which lead to some injuries. It is hard to count on a smaller guy who relies on power to be healthy the whole year.

It dropped to 3.33.Im not trying to say he is not a great pitcher.Im just saying hes not coming off a year were people should refer to him as the best pitcher in baseball.As said earlier if Im not mistakened his era was ranked 9.I think in order to be referred as the best.that ranking should be higher.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:03 pm

http://waswatching.com/

Me? I guess I would have to say, now, that I would not be shocked if the Yankees finished third this year – I can see their bullpen and the question marks in their rotation being a potential downfall. But, part of me still thinks that Joe Girardi will find a way to make the Yankees into a team that will win 90+ games this season. As far as a final grade, if the Yankees are the third best team in the East this season, I dunno? It would not be an “A” or a “B” – for sure. Their win total would dictate whether it’s an “F” or a “D” – so, for now, I would offer that a third place finish, at best, means the team would earn a “C” (from me) – and maybe lower

ht: Steve L from Waswatching.com

Ken Rosenthal = Idiot , So Jays improve their offense with Eckstein and Rolen blah blah , I still think that The Yankees are still above them and better team.

Last edited by on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:07 pm

There they go again....spend spend spend Redsox ! Widen that gap between those small market teams!! Buy that next championship like they won world series this year

Where is double standard?

Did you know that Yankees are paying luxury tax and revenue sharing helping Small Market teams like Marlins?

Don't be ignorant and hypocrite . Stop blaming Yankees for ruining baseball. Blame your owner Jeffrey Loria for being cheap and Marlins Fans for not attending to baseball games.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next