Huston Street's available?

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: Huston Street's available?

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 am

Clemens has a lot of 'splaining to do
CHRIS ELSBERRY celsberry@ctpost.com

http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_7956566

The more I read about the Mitchell Report on steroids in baseball and the more I watch Roger Clemens' damage control press conferences, I can't help but think of those old "I Love Lucy" episodes when Ricky would invariably say, "Lucy ... you got a lot of 'splaining to do."

Because so does Clemens.

My first question to the Rocket Man would be, "If Brian McNamee was telling the truth about Andy Pettitte, why should we believe that he's lying about you?"

Because I don't believe that McNamee is lying.

If he was, why would Pettitte immediately come clean? Just two days after being named in the Mitchell Report, Pettitte spoke up, confirming McNamee's testimony that he had used human growth hormone in 2002 while recovering from an elbow injury. According to McNamee, a personal trainer, Pettitte called him and asked about HGH as he had heard it speeded up recovery time. McNamee said that he flew to the Yankees facility in Tampa and injected Pettitte with human growth hormone on two to four occasions.

"In 2002, I was injured. I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow," Pettitte said in a statement released by his agent, Randy Hendricks. "I felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible. For this reason, and only this reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize. I accept responsibility for those two days."

The Mitchell Report also linked Brian Roberts'

name with steroids. Roberts, too, gave credibility to the report by saying soon after it came out that he had used steroids.

"In 2003, when I took one shot of steroids, I immediately realized that this was not what I stood for or anything that I wanted to continue doing," Roberts said. "I never used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing drugs prior to or since that single incident. I am very sorry and I deeply regret ever making that terrible decision."

The Mitchell Report was right about Pettitte and Roberts. Are we to believe that it was wrong about Clemens?

Clemens wants us to believe that he "had no idea" about Pettitte's use of human growth hormone. This coming from a guy who was a teammate of Pettitte's for nine years with the Yankees and Houston Astros, and who trained with Pettitte almost every day in the off-season at Clemens' Houston home.

He had no idea that his close friend and teammate had ever tried steroids?

He's kidding, right?

Clemens also wants us to believe that those injections of Winstrol that McNamee said he administered to the pitcher in 1998 while Clemens pitched for Toronto, along with the injections of both Sustanon 250 and Deca-Durabolin that supposedly took place in 2000 while Clemens was with he Yankees, "never happened."

Oh, by the way, Clemens was both "shocked" and "angry" by McNamee's accusations.

"I did not use steroids or human growth hormone, and I've never done so," he said in a video released on his Web site.

Clemens did say that the only shots he ever took were vitamin B-12 shots, the painkiller lidocaine and a since-recalled arthritis medication called Vioxx.

But here's where Clemens' statements come into question. In a story in the Connecticut Post last week, Dr. Jeff Anderson, the director of sports medicine at the University of Connecticut, said that lidocaine is not a drug that is typically injected intramuscularly, countering Clemens' statement.

"There's certain injuries you can numb up with lidocaine and it's safe to do," Anderson told the Post. "But you're not getting a shot in the butt from your strength coach." Finally, why would McNamee single out Clemens, the man who originally hired him and treated him "like family" during his years as his trainer? Did McNamee, when pressured to testify by the government, sing like a bird because he didn't want to go to jail? In a phone conversation taped last week by Clemens, McNamee said jail was a possibility.

"I'll go to jail, I'll do whatever you want," McNamee said.

"I need somebody to tell the truth," Clemens answered.

Let's start with you, Roger, shall we?

Andy Pettitte told the truth. So did Brian Roberts. It's Clemens' turn now. Testify before Congress, Roger. Take the lie detector test, Roger, because you've got a lot of 'splaining to do.

Can somebody please email and Contact Chris Elsberry at celsberry@ctpost.com?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16 am

Can you please point me to where Clemens and Pettitte claim McNamee was a doctor? A medical doctor?

It's in the same article that says neither player had prescriptions. Can you point me to that article, I forgot to bookmark it.

I have made an extensive search of the internet and ESPN and I can find no reference to Clemens or Pettitte claiming that McNamee said he was a doctor. The only references I can find are the ones that Swifty is refering to above...getting a PhD from a diploma mill....Unless there are specific claims by Roger and Pettitte that they were under the impression that McNamee was a medical doctor (laughable as when would he have gone to medical school, while he was a cop in night school?), then both Pettitte and Clemens have demonstrated poor and very questionable judgement in having a trainer inject them with drugs that they did not have a prescription for.

The fact that Clemens would consult a trainer over a team doctor for the injection of B-12 and lidocaine is an indictment of his character, as well.

YOU are staring to suffer from TIN DISEASE

youre better than that

booy yaka shaw

its right up above your post, 2 spots up

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153874

there

as far as prescriptions....again..............

CIROPRACTOR FOR BAD BACK

godfather 3 is on right now so i am watching that

signed

the war time advisor

no dude
he said you referred the correct artilce...

"...and yes, clemens and hardin both contend mac said he was qualified...
He was featured in InVite's promotional magazine as "Dr. Brian McNamee, Ph.D," used the e-mail address "McNameePHD," and told people he had earned his doctorate at Columbus University in Louisiana. Columbus now operates out of Mississippi, after the state of Louisiana shut it down in 2001 for being a "diploma mill," churning out degrees to people who did little or no academic work."
Diploma Mill reference

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:18 am

Yes Patriots are version of Yankees in Nfl. New Evil Empire........ Belllicheat and Brady are Evil...

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:19 am

The New England Patriots: The Yankees of the NFL?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6378-NFL-New_England_Patriots-The_New_England_Patriots_The_Yankees_of_the_NFL_-130108#comment_30333

by Daniel Latzman (Contributor) 5 comments Filed Under: NFL, AFC East, New England Patriots

“Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next” – Yankees owner George Steinbrenner

2007 has been a glorious year for all of RedSox Nation: The ‘Sox won the world series, the Celtics have returned to the elite of the NBA, and of course, the beloved New England Patriots just completed a perfect 16-0 season and are strong favorites to win their fourth SuperBowl in the past 7 NFL seasons. Something that Patriot fans may not realize is that the Pats have started to resemble New England’s most hated enemy: the New York Yankees.

The Yankee organization is widely regarded as the “Evil Empire” for their ruthless tactics to quench its never ending thirst for WS titles. While the Patriots can’t spend the type of money the Yankees do in a salary cap-free league, an account of the Pats’ activity before and during the 2007 season serves to illustrate the comparison.

Off-season transactions

After two disappointing seasons when the Pats failed to win the SB, that included 2 AFC East crowns and trips to at least the second round of the playoffs, Bill Belichick and the front office decided to fix whatever shortcomings caused their misfortune.

Asante Samuel, who had 10 INTs in 2006, was quickly marked with the franchise tag. This ensured that the Patriots would have arguably the best cover corner in the NFL back on their squad. He didn’t disappoint in ’07, finishing the regular season with 6 picks which was good for third in the conference and a spot on the all-pro team.

The Patriots decided not to retain WRs Reche Caldwell or Doug Gabriel, and the franchise's all-time receptions leader Troy Brown saw his playing become non-existant. New England commenced a massive overhaul of their offense. They traded for WR Wes Welker as their slot wideout, in exchange for 2nd and 7th round draft picks, a move that paid huge dividends with 112 receptions and almost 1200 yards receiving.

Next the Pats signed perhaps the prize of the free agent WRs in Donte’ Stallworth from New Orleans. Stallworth had a little more difficulty meshing with Brady immediately, but found his niche on the team and finished with 46 catches for 697 yards and 3 touchdowns.

The Patriot’s next move was reminiscent of past Yankees deals, when the Bombers receive a high profile player for low to mid level minor league prospects (see the Bobby Abreu deal during the ’06 season). While this deal makes more sense when considering the Phillies were really trying to dump Abreu’s large salary rather than get equal value, the Patriots accusation of Randy Moss from Oakland for a fourth round pick is hard to fathom.

Arguably the best WR in football, Moss instantly became Tom Brady’s favorite target. The Pats were on the winning side of possibly the most one-sided trade in recent sports history. In his first year with New England, Moss was the league’s top WR, amassing 98 catches for 1493 yards and an NFL-record 23 TD catches.

Tom Brady was always an elite QB, but the addition of Moss, Welker, Stallworth and the ascension of Laurence Maroney as an elite RB, have catapulted Brady into discussions of being the best ever. His league-record 50 TD passes (with just 8 INTs), a 69% completion percentage, and 4806 yards passing at least makes a compelling argument for one of the greatest single seasons ever for a quarterback.

In addition to revamping their offense during the offseason, the Patriots also landed probably the gem of the entire FA class in linebacker Adalius Thomas. An ideal fit at outside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 defensive scheme, Thomas quickly displayed his playmaking ability and helped establish the Pats defense as a dominant force. He finished the 2007 campaign with 79 tackles, 6.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and one interception that he returned 65 yards for a TD.

“Spygate” Incident

The Patriots proved that they would utilize any tactic necessary in order to win when one of their video assistants was caught by NFL security filming the NY Jets’ defensive signals during their week one meeting. This act was in direct violation of league rules, and Belichick was fined a league-record $500,000, while the team was charged $250,000 and were forced to forfeit their 2008 first round pick (luckily for them, they have the rights to the 49ers first round pick, the 7th overall).

The Patriots’ guru insisted that it was simply a misunderstanding of the rule, and not a malicious attempt to gain an advantage over their opponent. In the NFL’s “Game Operations Manual”, on page 105 it states: “No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches’ booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game”.

There is no question whether or not “spygate” was a violation of NFL rules, that much is clear. The question is whether this practice is common among many NFL teams, and Belichick just happened to get ratted out by his former protégé, Eric Mangini. Either way, Belichick and the Patriots proved that they will take any actions necessary in order to win, and their merciless strategy brought them a lot of negative feedback during their perfect season.

Dominance

Above all else, the Patriots are most similar to the Yankees in their level of dominance and unwavering obsession with victory. Like the Yanks, who have won 9 out of the past 11 AL East division titles, the Patriots have put together an impressive streak of their own by winning 5 straight, and 6 out of the past 7 AFC East crowns.

The Patriots, like the Yankees, have adopted an attitude that anything short of a world championship is considered a failed season. This type of success leads to envy and disgust from opposing teams’ fans, sentiments that the Yankees have often faced during their storied history.

Success is at an all-time high in Beantown, and the Patriots warrant perhaps the greatest boasting. But whether you like it or not, New England fans, your team is starting to resemble your most hated rival.

#

This is a great article, but they arent the YANKEES of the NFL because the yankees suck. They are more like the RED SOX of then NFL. They are dominant, which the Yankees arent anymore!

by Sandra
from 9 minutes ago

The Yankees suck?? Is that like a 5 year old would say?? lol Come on people NEW ENGLAND CHEATED to get there perfect season..What else do u need?? Its pretty sad when a team cheats to get what they want huh??

#
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 1 hour ago

This is an awful article.

- Troy Brown WAS retained for this season.
- Wes Welker was not signed as a free agent, he was traded to the Patriots for a 2nd and 7th round draft pick.

At least get your facts right and do some research before you write an article.
#
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 1 hour ago

Yes, it is a great article. As a Patriots & a semi baseball/Red Sox fan from Massachusetts, it's embarrassing to hear "Yankees suck". Who has - is it roughly 29 world championships? It just seems so childish. The Red Sox & Patriots won't be on top forever but Tom Brady is truly unique. I've never seen such a WINNER in my life. He's absolutely the complete package and it was never supposed to be this good for us New England fans Smile

#
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from less than a minute ago

Yes Patriots are version of Yankees in Nfl. New Evil Empire........ Belllicheat and Brady are Evil...

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:20 am

Whose gonna get Johan Santana?
gillie108 Post #1: 1:22 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 8
Whose gonna get him and will it be before spring training, before July 31 trade dead line or after the season?
lookoutformn Post #2: 1:52 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2119
I'm hoping the Mets get him in the next couple weeks.......most reports seem to be leaning towards them
gillie108 Post #3: 2:13 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 8
What reports have you been reading??? All I've heard about the Mets is that Minn thinks they have the least to offer for Johan.
acidfromhell Post #4: 5:46 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 135
It really doesn't come down to who has more, it is actually about who is willing to give more away. The Mets may have the least to offer among the contenders, but they are willing to give all of of it up, unlike the Yankees and Red Sox who want to keep Joba and Ellsbury.
LouHermanMantle Post #5: 9:11 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1531

Minaya got the green light from ownership to go after Santana using any and all means. Seems like Minnesota has gone away from requesting Reyes to be added in the deal. According to most sources, the Mets are the front runners in this as they are willing to part with, basically, the farm. I think the Twins are just waiting to see if they add Fernando Martinez in the deal. So far the Mets are offering Gomez, Mulvey, Humber and Guerra, or so it's being reported... But then on the flip side it's also being said that A. The Twins are in NO hurry to trade Santana. If anything, they would like to resign him and maybe trade Nathan. B. The Mets are NOT going to do a 5 for 1 deal. No way are they going to trade their 4 top pitching prospects and one of their top hitting prospect for Santana.

Take it for what it's worth. When it's all said and done, this guy might just hang around Minnesota. Who knows, maybe ends up on the Marlins. They throw in one or two veterans (some 17, maybe 18 yr olds) plus a few prospects and then flip him for someone else's farm..
tygerphan4ever Post #6: 9:20 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 9573
Through my eyes as a Tiger fan, if he stays in Minny-that would certainly be the lesser of 2 evils ,rather than him ending up on one of the 2 big shots in the East. Of course, that makes the Twins a pain in the asss,but hey...the Tigers can still deal with the Twins with Johan, most likely. Yanks or Red Sox with him-likely not. If he goes to the Mets,that's isolated to an October concern...so that would be the best thing,imo.
tony20sbestfan Post #7: 9:27 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 301

Minnesota Twins.

Now ask me who'll get him in Free agent signing in 2008, I say the Anaheim Angels. Just think, wouldn't that be a great fit for one of MLB's finest clubs? He and Lackey would be an amazing 1-2 punch with Vlad and Chone Figgins on offense.
tygerphan4ever Post #8: 9:35 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 9573
If the Angels got him,that would make their rotation death,no talkin about it. That's Johan,Lackey and Escobar? If that happens,we're all in a world of trouble.
r3ds0xfan5 Post #9: 9:39 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1134
With all the speculations aound the league, i think that the Boston Redsox will get Johan Santana. The deal that includes Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester, Jed Lowrie, and possibly also Clay Bucholz is a fantasic deal. It includes three proven MLB ready players and they also need to fill that hole in centerfield. If the Boston Redsox don't get Johan in the trade i feel that the New York Mets would be next in line to aquire the lefty-ace.
soopadrive Post #10: 9:50 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 389

With all the speculations aound the league, i think that the Boston Redsox will get Johan Santana. The deal that includes Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester, Jed Lowrie, and possibly also Clay Bucholz is a fantasic deal. It includes three proven MLB ready players and they also need to fill that hole in centerfield. If the Boston Redsox don't get Johan in the trade i feel that the New York Mets would be next in line to aquire the lefty-ace.

----

Wait, what? Ellsbury, Lester, Lowrie, and Buchholz? Do you have any sources on this because I must read this. If Red Sox are truly likely to offer this deal, then there is no doubt in my mind JS would end up at Fenway, and could explain why the Twins are holding up on the Mets' offer.
Minutemen429 Post #11: 10:58 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 5

The Red Sox are not gonna give up Buccholz, Lester and Ellsbury.
lookoutformn Post #12: 1:13 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2119
The Mets are the only truly active team pursuing Santana. Their offer right now is the best, but the twins aren't completely sold on it. If they add Fernando to the deal, Santana is a Met. However, I think they feel that they'll only be bidding against themselves, so the Mets are holding onto Fernando as long as they can

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:22 am

Did the author do his homework properly ... Cashman was offered an extension in December ... he turned it down at the time saying there was more important business to be handled right now ... doesn't sound like he is going to be going anywhere unless he decides he doesn't like working for Hank.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:23 am

Rumor Royalty: La Velle E. Neal III (Twins)

As originally described here, Rumor Royalty is an MLBTR series where I name the one journalist for each team who has done the most for us hot stove junkies. If the writer is up for it, I ask that person questions for publication on the site. You can see all of the entries in the series here.

Today we present the honor for the Twins to La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. You may also know him by the nickname LEN3, which I first saw on Aaron Gleeman's site. In addition to filing stories as the Twins' beat writer, La Velle keeps a blog for the paper. This has become an invaluable resource, especially for Johan updates. La Velle kindly answered three Twins questions for MLBTR, which will be appear over the next few days.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:31 am

Here's a Redsox Fan thoughts on Crisp for Street trade

Crisp for Street may be too good to be true

http://www.soxandpinstripes.com/sox_and_pinstripes/2008/01/nick-swisher-wa.html

Nick Swisher was traded to the Chicago White Sox for top prospects, Shannon Stewart is a free agent and unlikely to return, and Billy Beane has reportedly reached an agreement with Atlanta that will send Mark Kotsay to the Braves for reliever Joey Devine. Considering all of this, the Oakland A's need an outfielder, and Beane likes Coco Crisp.

In Boston, the bullpen can use another arm or two. Jonathan Papelbon, Hideki Okajima and Manny Delcarmen form a solid core - and though he is 42, Mike Timlin is still effective - yet the Sox need another go-to, right-handed set-up man. How about Huston Street, the 24-year-old closer who has battled injury problems but still has a high ceiling?

In Friday's San Francisco Chronicle, an A's official said that a Crisp-for-Street deal is "fiction." Some media outlets recently wrote about a rumored trade of the two players. If Street is willing to serve in a set-up role for Papelbon, it would be a beneficial transaction for Boston. Jacoby Ellsbury will be the starting center fielder in 2008, and - as detailed above - the Sox need to add a right-handed set-up man.

It appears that the New York Mets have jumped in the lead to acquire Johan Santana, who I have a feeling will open the season in a Minnesota Twins uniform. The Sox and Yankees seem content with hanging onto their top prospects, so I imagine that Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman would not mind Santana remaining in Minnesota or being shipped to the Mets, who desperately need an ace since Pedro Martinez has seen his better days.

If Boston does not acquire Santana, obviously Crisp is expendable since he will not be part of a package that is sent to Minnesota, and he is not interested in staying with the Sox as a backup outfielder. In a recent chat on Boston.com, Peter Gammons wrote that Oakland is a potential destination for Crisp. I have read where the Sox like Devine, so maybe Beane is making the Kotsay-for-Devine deal so he can ship Devine to Boston for Crisp. Texas has reportedly offered backup catcher Gerald Laird, but the Sox would likely not be interested since they just resigned Doug Mirabelli. A deal with the Twins is still possible since they need a center fielder and have a surplus of relievers.

Crisp for Street may be too good to be true for the Sox, but it is possible that Epstein will trade for a right-handed set-up man before spring training. As long as they are healthy, Papelbon, Okajima, Delcarmen and Timlin will be part of the Opening Day bullpen. That will leave three bullpen spots open if Boston uses a five-man rotation, and two spots if Sox officials opt for a six-man rotation (which is possible with Josh Beckett, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz).

Bryan Corey, Kyle Snyder and Julian Tavarez are the most recognizable right-handed arms who would compete for a spot if spring training started today. Corey will likely take the last spot if Boston carries seven relievers. Tavarez has trade value and could be shipped to a National League team. Snyder is out of options, and the Sox were shopping him at the winter meetings.

Javier Lopez (the left-handed specialist who is effective against righties but woeful against lefties) and Craig Breslow (who is out of options and will be released or traded if he doesn't make the big league team) are the top left-handed names.

A former assistant to Kevin Towers in San Diego, Epstein is apparently trying his former boss' strategy for building a bullpen by signing low-cost free agents and making waiver wire claims. In the off-season, the Sox have signed right-handers Lee Gronkiewicz (who posted solid numbers in the Toronto minor league system) and Ben Howard (a former Padres farmhand), and left-handers Michael Tejera (who pitched in the Florida Marlins bullpen in 2003) and Jon Switzer (who performed well in the minors but struggled in the big leagues with Tampa Bay). Gronkiewicz and Tejera are the most likely candidates to see time in Boston this season if injuries arise at the big league level.

Of course, Craig Hansen could have a strong spring training and make the parent club. Justin Masterson, who is currently a starter in the Sox farm system but projects as a Major League reliever, might make his big league debut at some point in 2008.

The bottom line is this: the Sox have an abundance of secondary set-up men, but they need to acquire a frontline right-handed set-up man, and another reliable left-handed reliever. Crisp could be used to fill one of those needs. Maybe Tavarez, who has drawn interest from National League teams who envision him as a starter, could satisfy the other need.

With today's reported trade of Kotsay for Devine, there is a strong probability that either Street or Devine could end up in Boston for Crisp.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:36 am

updatin thread with more info

alot of stuff on this in blog

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/09/2008-01-09_roger_clemens_sent_investigators_to_inte.html

Roger Clemens sent investigators to interview Brian McNamee

By TERI THOMPSON AND MICHAEL O'KEEFFE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Wednesday, January 9th 2008, 10:09 AM

-->

Investigators sent by Roger Clemens to question Brian McNamee about his statements to federal investigators and former Sen. George Mitchell asked the former trainer if he might want to reconsider his claims that he injected Clemens with steroids and human growth hormone, according to Earl Ward, the trainer's attorney.

The Daily News first reported on Monday that investigators arrived in New York a day before the release of the Mitchell Report, which detailed the use of performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball, and grilled him about what he told Mitchell, asking him if he would back off on his testimony. The Daily News cited a person close to the McNamee camp as having knowledge of the interview.

"Brian told me they asked him to recant," said Earl Ward, McNamee's attorney, last night. "I spoke with him tonight and he confirmed it."

Clemens sent the private investigators to interview McNamee the day before the release of the Mitchell Report to ask McNamee what he had told Mitchell. According to Ward, McNamee told them he had been truthful with Mitchell and the investigators, which he said may be why Clemens' camp has not released the tape. The private investigators - a representative from Clemens' lawyer Rusty Hardin's firm and a former Houston homicide detective - presented McNamee with signed letters from Clemens and Andy Pettitte, who also was represented by Hardin, authorizing them to question McNamee about what he told Mitchell.

"He told them they were in the report," said a person close to the McNamee camp, who asked not to be identified. "And he told the investigators he had told the truth to the feds and couldn't change his story."

Hardin told the Daily News after Clemens' press conference Monday in which he played a separate tape of a Friday night conversation between Clemens and McNamee, that the investigators who interviewed McNamee before the release of the Mitchell Report did not suggest that McNamee recant. "It's absolute horse----," said Hardin. "It's a crazy, bald-faced lie." Hardin's representatives reiterated that denial yesterday.

Hardin said at the Monday press conference that the interview between the Hardin investigators and McNamee was taped, but a spokesman for his law firm said they would not release that tape because it is a part of the discovery process in the defamation lawsuit Clemens filed against McNamee Sunday night after his appearance on "60 Minutes." In that interview he told Mike Wallace that he never used steroids or human growth hormone.

Before the Clemens press conference on Monday, Ward called for the release of the complete tape, and Congressional investigators are expected to ask for it, along with any documentary evidence that might exist in regard to whether Clemens used performance-enhancers, including blood or urine tests or other medical records that might be available to investigators.

Two deadlines arrive on January 11 »

09 01 2008

Attacking McNamee?s Credibility

Posted by: Joseph P. in Roger Clemens, STEROIDS!

There?s been plenty on the Brian McNamee/Roger Clemens front over the past few days. Although I?d love nothing more than to see this whole thing just disappear, it?s not going to, which means we?re stuck with it. First thing I caught on it this morning was a piece on ESPN, where McNamee?s lawyers are looking to expose a conversation between McNamee and Clemens which took place on the day before the Mitchell report was revealed.

?They should ask for the entire tape of the interview back in December. That?s the tape they should ask for,? Earl Ward, one of McNamee?s lawyers, said Tuesday. ?According to Brian, they tried to get him to recant. Brian said, look, what I told the [Mitchell and federal] investigators was the truth.?

If that?s the extent of the conversation, I?m not sure how much it helps McNamee?s case. However, if his lawyers are pushing for its release, there?s bound to be a bit more revealing information contained therein.

But then I caught a piece in Slam! Sports which aims to trounce McNamee?s credibility. In fact, just three paragraphs in, we?re treated to this quote:

?I hope baseball is not putting all of its case on this one witness because in my 32 years as an investigator, I would not find him to be very credible,? Florida state attorney office investigator Don Crotty said yesterday.

Crotty?s distrust of McNamee stems from an incident back in 2001, where a number of Yankees were having a party in Florida ? which incidentally started in Chuck Knoblauch?s room. Outside, investigators found a woman passed out in a swimming pool. She had been drugged with GHB. McNamee was implicated, but never charged, since prosecutors didn?t think the victim?s case would hold up ? because he had slept with a married member of the team. Crotty believed that McNamee was dishonest with him when questioned pursuant to the case.

It also appears that Brian referred to himself sometimes as Dr. McNamee:

An investigation showed his doctorate earned at Columbus University in Louisiana is now Columbus out of Mississippi, since Louisiana closed its operation in 2001 for handing out degrees to many who did ?little or no academic work.?

The article says that Clemens actually believed that McNamee had a medical degree.

Also discrediting McNamee is his tenure with the NYPD. Though he was involved in many high-profile cases, including the death of Eric Clapton?s son, he?ll never shed the 30-day suspension he received for his negligence in the escape of a prisoner.

And then we have the issue of physical proof of Roger?s use of steroids. The Blue Jays team chiropractor at the time Roger was with the team didn?t see the telltale signs of steroid use:

?I worked with him daily and didn?t see any signs of steroid use,? Dr. Patrick Graham told The Sun yesterday. ?I didn?t notice any rashes, acne or increased muscle mass or structure.?
?
?I think I would have seen signs of it,? he said, adding he always thought the Rocket?s success in Toronto was because of his newly developed ?split-fingered fastball.?

Even after Clemens left the Jays organization, he would come in for a back treatment whenever in Toronto and Graham said he observed no body changes. ?I haven?t seen him for two years, but I just don?t think he was on steroids.?

Professional trainer Phil Zullo, of North York?s Pro-Fit, agrees ? saying if Clemens took the amount of steroids and the type McNamee alleges in the report, he would have ended up looking like Hulk Hogan. ?With the way Roger works out and trains, he would have been a giant,? said Zullo, who did not work with Clemens but has always been known to be against the use of any substances for the amateur and professional athletes he trains.

True, none of this proves that Clemens didn?t do steroids. But then again, is he ever going to be able to prove that?

My stance remains the same as it has since the beginning, in that I don?t think he has to prove that he didn?t. Clearly, my opinion differs with much of the public. But why should Roger have to go to these lengths to defend himself against one person, with a spotty history, who was facing jail time? If there was more than one source of this allegation, then yeah, maybe Roger has to up his defense. But I don?t see the reason to assume the worst when we?re talking about the flimsiest of circumstantial evidence.

Once again, though, it?s my deepest desire to see this story go away.

McNamee takes center stage with bombshells about Clemens

By Shaun Assael, Luke Cyphers and Amy K. Nelson
ESPN.com

Pettitte first asked McNamee about using human growth hormone during the 2001-02 offseason, the report says, and McNamee at the time discouraged him from using it. But in the spring of 2002, while Pettitte was recovering from elbow tendinitis, McNamee injected Pettitte with HGH. In 2003, when the BALCO case first broke, Pettitte asked McNamee what to say if asked about performance enhancers. McNamee told him to do what he liked. They never discussed the subject again.

1.) Pettitte first asked McNamee about using human growth hormone during the 2001-02 offseason, the report says, and McNamee at the time discouraged him from using it. But in the spring of 2002, while Pettitte was recovering from elbow tendinitis, McNamee injected Pettitte with HGH. In 2003, when the BALCO case first broke, Pettitte asked McNamee what to say if asked about performance enhancers. McNamee told him to do what he liked. They never discussed the subject again.

2.)

While trying to expand beyond his Yankees training duties, McNamee began referring to himself as Dr. McNamee in his side gigs. He was featured in InVite's promotional magazine as "Dr. Brian McNamee, Ph.D," used the e-mail address "McNameePHD," and told people he had earned his doctorate at Columbus University in Louisiana. Columbus now operates out of Mississippi, after the state of Louisiana shut it down in 2001 for being a "diploma mill," churning out degrees to people who did little or no academic work.

Despite his efforts to branch out, McNamee kept a low profile until October of 2001, when he was suddenly in the New York tabloids. According to police reports, an employee of a St. Petersburg, Fla., hotel where the Yankees were staying had noticed a man and a woman apparently having sex in the hotel pool, while another man looked on from a few feet away. All three were naked in the pool. One of the men, Charles Wonsowicz, the former St. John's pitcher who was now the Yankees' video technician, left immediately when confronted by the employee. The other, McNamee, continued to hold on to the woman until the hotel employee asked him to leave again, according to police documents.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:36 am

I have it on good authority that this was edited out of the 60 Minutes interview with Mike Wallace:

MW: Don't you think you owe it to your fans to tell the truth?
RC: You want answers?
MW: I think we're entitled to them?
RC: You Want Answers?
MW: I want the truth!
RC: The Truth! You can't handle the Truth!
We live in a world that has Superstar Athletes. And those Superstars have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? Ed Bradley? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.

You weep for Aaron and you curse MLB. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Cy Youngs records, while impressive, probably were padded. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, wins games...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on those 'roids. You need me on those 'roids.

We use words like ERA, WHIP, Cy Youngs...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent doing something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of victories that I provide, then question the manner in which I provide them!

I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat and stand in the box. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:37 am

Let's start with you, Roger, shall we?

Andy Pettitte told the truth. So did Brian Roberts. It's Clemens' turn now. Testify before Congress, Roger. Take the lie detector test, Roger, because you've got a lot of 'splaining to do.

Can somebody please email and Contact Chris Elsberry at celsberry@ctpost.com?[/quote]

LOL

MAC "I am sorry man, what do you want from me, its not like I have ANY MONEY OR ANYTHING."

BUT yeah, thats the ticket, MAC is honest

HE MADE TWO OFFICIAL STMTS, IN THE FIRST HE NAMED ANDY FN PETTITE.. OR DID HARDIN LIE ABOUT THAT TOO????

WHY 2 STMTMS?

HE SAY IN THE ABOVE THAT ANDY ASKED HIM FOR ROIDS...YET MAC DIDNT KNOW WHERE TO GET THEM IN TOR???

SPLAIN

WHY THE IRS AGENT??? ON DAY #2...INCIDENTALLY, ONE STMT IS A FALSE OFFICIAL STMT....WHY WAS HE EVEN ACCEPTED AS CREDIBLE BY GOOD OL "MITCH'LL TAKE ANYTHING" ....

WHY WASNT PEREZ INVESTIGATED

" IT WAS "THE BIGGEST BREAK IN THIS WHOLE INVESTIGATION" BUT WE WERE TOLD NOT TO INVESTIGATE BY MITCHELL"

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:38 am

he is going to have a great year for sure. i wonder how the opposing pitcher is going to feel pitching to him with maggs, sheffield, or guillen hitting behind him? i know i would be sick to my stomach.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:42 am

Are the Tigers getting Yankeeitis?

Gary Sheffield for Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett

Neifi Perez for Chris Robinson

Unconditional release of Carlos Pena (ala Yankees)

Cameron Maybin, Mike Rabelon, Andrew Miller, Burke Badenhop, Eugelio De La Cruz and Dallas Trahern for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis

Edgar Renteria for Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez

I like the acquisition of Cabrera and Willis....but a nice hefty price. Dont care for Renteria and/or Sheffield. So far the Carlos Pena release is looking David Ortizish and Neifi Perez is a Miguel Cairo type of guy...

Am I crazy or are there similarities of what the Yanks have being doing?

You know why? Because they CAN. I truly don't think any teams are trying to "copy" or "mimic" Boston or the Yanks because they wouldn't get anywhere. Sign all the ex-Red Sox or ex-Yankees you want, that's not going to create a mimic team. Nobody else can be another "Boston Red Sox," so work with who you have. What Detroit is doing is perfectly legal and perfectly acceptable in baseball. I don't see a problem here.

The Yankees 'indoctrinated' the Tigers into the 'darkside' with the Sheff deal. it's almost like they mentored us from that point...like Darth Vader. That's why we resemble them so closely. That's about the only way I know to explain it. With that 'enshrining' comes the payroll hike,the Tigers are expected to be 125-128 in 08.....and up from there

Are the Detroit Tigers getting Yankeeitis? Yes, they already have it. That list clearly proves the need for the best of the best. The Tigers fans already feel like they've won the world series and the start of the season is still a month and a half away. Thy all just need to wait a little and fall back to reality. Im not saying they wont make the playoffs, because i think they definatly will, but they are acting like they just won two world series in a row.

That's how YOU percieve it,until those words actually come out Tiger fans mouths...then we're not acting like that. But we are thinking Oct. because the club should bash it's way in,if nothing else. And Illitch/DD have staked their asss on making it,they were very insulted and offended for not getting there last year.

Im not saying there is something wrong with it. Im simply stating the resemblance. In the late 90's the Yankees used a lot of Farm System guys and surrounded them with some key veterans. The new millenium had them throw that theory out the window and adopt the "Sign the best FA's available and trade the best Farm Hands you have for established guys"..... A la what the Tigers are doing now. Not so much going after Top Dollar FA's............yet. I love what the Tigers have done, NOW. Explosive offensive team, NOW. Decent to good pitching staff, NOW.

Sheffield is up there. Pudge is a year or two from retirement. Polanco is up there. Rogers and Todd Jones should be receiving Social Security any minute now. Granted, they have young studs as well. I dont know. I guess Im becoming a bit of a Detroit fan. I LOVE Leyland and really like that team. Just as I am becoming a Rays and Brew Crew follower. Hopefully it works out for them, but it's wierd how similar they've become.

Amen,my brother...and why shouldn't you like the Tigers,after all they're like your team?

as a tigers fan, i havent given them anything. i frequent the tigers boards much more than i do the general boards, and there are some people who are saying, oh man, we're gonna win it all. those people also have mush for brains.

yes, the tigers look very solid on paper and i believe will make a good push this year. BUT nothing has been played yet. they looked solid on paper last year as well but injuries really bogged them down.

they have to stay healthy (just like any other team) before they prove they are legit.

are they getting yankeeitis? if teams want to compete (especially in the AL), they almost have to...the red sox and yankees are perennial favorites because they always field good teams? yes. and they can also afford to pay good teams. the tigers owner wants to win a championship and he is willing to up the budget so they can afford more higher-end players. the one way i see this evening out, is that he isnt buying a championship...he isnt losing any money here. detroit loves their baseball team and they go nuts when the tigers are winning. ticket sales, merch, everything will continue to go up because the fans love and support their team. in my eyes, i dont see what ilitch is doing as wrong.

Tell ya' what...if the Tigers had to take a blueprint from anyone...no better team than the Yankees to take after. History says it all. The Yankees know how to win,win,win. That's what they do,and have done for 90+ years. So Yankees of the East,meet Yankees of the Central...

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:43 am

I think the Mets will get him. Cashman and Hankenstein of the Yanks are too enamored with all of their young pitchers and Boston will be content to let him go to the N.L.. They'll still be big favorites to win their division. The Mets will still be favorite to win their division without him-- if they do acquire him, they'll have the best staff in the league- Pedro,Perez,Maine and Santana. Between the Mets, Redsox and Yankees, I think the Yankees need him more than the other two teams and here's why:

Yanks 2007 ERA - 4.49 +++ Starters averaged less than 6 innings per start last year.+++ Lefty batters hit .280 vs Yanks (10th worse in league) and Petitte who will be retired within a year or two is the only good lefthander on the staff. They don't even have anything close to being a good lefty reliever. +++ Wang,Joba,Hughes,Kennedy,- all righthanders, as well as their other pitching prospects+++

Yanks in the same division as the Redsox- winners of 2 of the past 4 world series.

As Murray Chase of the N.Y.Times says: "The Yankees, after all, compete with the Mets as well as the Red Sox and have to guard their flank as carefully as they do their front." +++

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:51 am

Here's a Redsox Fan thoughts on Crisp for Street trade

Crisp for Street may be too good to be true

http://www.soxandpinstripes.com/sox_and_pi...swisher-wa.html

Nick Swisher was traded to the Chicago White Sox for top prospects, Shannon Stewart is a free agent and unlikely to return, and Billy Beane has reportedly reached an agreement with Atlanta that will send Mark Kotsay to the Braves for reliever Joey Devine. Considering all of this, the Oakland A's need an outfielder, and Beane likes Coco Crisp.

In Boston, the bullpen can use another arm or two. Jonathan Papelbon, Hideki Okajima and Manny Delcarmen form a solid core - and though he is 42, Mike Timlin is still effective - yet the Sox need another go-to, right-handed set-up man. How about Huston Street, the 24-year-old closer who has battled injury problems but still has a high ceiling?

In Friday's San Francisco Chronicle, an A's official said that a Crisp-for-Street deal is "fiction." Some media outlets recently wrote about a rumored trade of the two players. If Street is willing to serve in a set-up role for Papelbon, it would be a beneficial transaction for Boston. Jacoby Ellsbury will be the starting center fielder in 2008, and - as detailed above - the Sox need to add a right-handed set-up man.

It appears that the New York Mets have jumped in the lead to acquire Johan Santana, who I have a feeling will open the season in a Minnesota Twins uniform. The Sox and Yankees seem content with hanging onto their top prospects, so I imagine that Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman would not mind Santana remaining in Minnesota or being shipped to the Mets, who desperately need an ace since Pedro Martinez has seen his better days.

If Boston does not acquire Santana, obviously Crisp is expendable since he will not be part of a package that is sent to Minnesota, and he is not interested in staying with the Sox as a backup outfielder. In a recent chat on Boston.com, Peter Gammons wrote that Oakland is a potential destination for Crisp. I have read where the Sox like Devine, so maybe Beane is making the Kotsay-for-Devine deal so he can ship Devine to Boston for Crisp. Texas has reportedly offered backup catcher Gerald Laird, but the Sox would likely not be interested since they just resigned Doug Mirabelli. A deal with the Twins is still possible since they need a center fielder and have a surplus of relievers.

Crisp for Street may be too good to be true for the Sox, but it is possible that Epstein will trade for a right-handed set-up man before spring training. As long as they are healthy, Papelbon, Okajima, Delcarmen and Timlin will be part of the Opening Day bullpen. That will leave three bullpen spots open if Boston uses a five-man rotation, and two spots if Sox officials opt for a six-man rotation (which is possible with Josh Beckett, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz).

Bryan Corey, Kyle Snyder and Julian Tavarez are the most recognizable right-handed arms who would compete for a spot if spring training started today. Corey will likely take the last spot if Boston carries seven relievers. Tavarez has trade value and could be shipped to a National League team. Snyder is out of options, and the Sox were shopping him at the winter meetings.

Javier Lopez (the left-handed specialist who is effective against righties but woeful against lefties) and Craig Breslow (who is out of options and will be released or traded if he doesn't make the big league team) are the top left-handed names.

A former assistant to Kevin Towers in San Diego, Epstein is apparently trying his former boss' strategy for building a bullpen by signing low-cost free agents and making waiver wire claims. In the off-season, the Sox have signed right-handers Lee Gronkiewicz (who posted solid numbers in the Toronto minor league system) and Ben Howard (a former Padres farmhand), and left-handers Michael Tejera (who pitched in the Florida Marlins bullpen in 2003) and Jon Switzer (who performed well in the minors but struggled in the big leagues with Tampa Bay). Gronkiewicz and Tejera are the most likely candidates to see time in Boston this season if injuries arise at the big league level.

Of course, Craig Hansen could have a strong spring training and make the parent club. Justin Masterson, who is currently a starter in the Sox farm system but projects as a Major League reliever, might make his big league debut at some point in 2008.

The bottom line is this: the Sox have an abundance of secondary set-up men, but they need to acquire a frontline right-handed set-up man, and another reliable left-handed reliever. Crisp could be used to fill one of those needs. Maybe Tavarez, who has drawn interest from National League teams who envision him as a starter, could satisfy the other need.

With today's reported trade of Kotsay for Devine, there is a strong probability that either Street or Devine could end up in Boston for Crisp.

If I were Billy Beane , I wouldn't do this trade. Are you kidding me? Fire Billy If this trade rumors are true.

I don't get why the RSN branch of the media thinks the Sox are going to move a high priced SoSo Crisp, (just because they need to open up a slot for Ellsbury) to the penny pinching teams like the A's or Twins.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:02 pm

And my existence, while grotesque to you, wins games! i use words like, balls, flys, heat, and mr splitte...you use them as punch lines at dinner parties! I would rather you thank me, and be on your way, either way, i dont give a damm what you thing youre entitled too!!!!

You want me on that mound!! You need me on that mound!

I provide the very balnket of cy youngs, wins, WSC's and strikouts!!!! whose gonna do it you LT Russo!!! You Capt Jimelle HILL!!

Alll you did is weaken an Empire Mitchell. Thats right. Good night son. Dont forget to kiss your Paxton and Perez good night. And hug you MAC.

you f*cked with the wrong Roid Sock!!!! (i mean yankee ace) lol

AM I CLEAR?

LOLOLOL

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:08 pm

Selig should face charges. This all happened under his nose. "Mr.Selig, were you aware of the performance enhancing substances that were being used? And is it true that you did not step in and clean up the problem?".
Selig should go down as the worst and most disgraceful commissioner ever.

Clemens filed the defamation lawsuit when he did so he could say "I can't testify before Congress because of the pending litigation". I bet that once the House Committee sessions are finished, he'll drop the suit.

Gee, this is convenient:
"Clemens reportedly won't ask for immunity, but a source told ESPN's T.J. Quinn on Saturday night that Hardin is hedging over the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee's request to depose Clemens under oath next week because it might interfere with his defamation lawsuit against McNamee.

rmacgilv- You are right.

Buster; I know it is not right to pass judgement before a trial or an admission. But...... I know when something is untrue and I know I did no wrong, why would I get mad? Roger Clemens is showing everyone and giving all the fuel they need to pass judgement on him by getting angry. CHILL-OUT!!!!! If your innocent, the truth will come out and all will be well, but when you get angry and sound foolish on a "recorded phone call" you further incriminate yourself. My advice to Rocket is "JUST SHUT UP."
And also, for the guys that admitted use, even if it were the "Standard-safe One time," I applaud you for admitting use and getting it over with. Your addmition shows you still have love for the game, though, you cheated. Thanks for less drama. These are just a few thoughts from my desk. Peace to all and GB baseball.
GO CUBS!!

Buster,why don't we also have the baseball beat writers appear before congress.The journalists can explain how they were able to completely ignore the evidence of steroid use that was apparent each time a guy changed in the locker room.Hey,if we are going to do this let's do it right.Bring in union reps,mlb officials, players,trainers,man agers,coaches,owners ,journalists and anyone else who was privy to this traveling circus.In the meantime, let's lighten up on sanctimonious vitriol spewing forth from baseball writers as they claim to be "shocked,simply shocked" that there was gambling going on at Rick's in "Casablanca".

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Updated Mock Draft
http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Round 1

New York Jets: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
The Jets are sitting in a pretty good position. It's unlikely that both Darren McFadden and Chris Long will both be picked in the top five. They can simply take the guy who drops to them. If they're both selected, New York will have to "settle" for Vernon Gholston. Oh, the horror.

With McFadden gone, Long is the obvious choice. Do I really have to delve into how horrendous the Jets' defense was this year? They were 29th against the run, managed just 29 sacks and couldn't force any turnovers. Howie's son is only the beginning of the solution.

If McFadden's paperwork problem prohibits him from entering the draft, look for the Jets to go after Vernon Gholston, assuming Chris Long is off the board

Round 2

New York Jets: Derrick Harvey, DE/OLB, Florida
Even in the wake of acquiring Chris Long in the first round, the Jets will need to make pressuring the quarterback their top priority here. Managing only 29 sacks in an entire season is ridiculous. Besides, I don't think they can pass on Derrick Harvey if he slips this far.

If the Jets draft Vernon Gholston, they'll have a few different options here, including receiver James Hardy, offensive tackle Carl Nicks and inside linebacker Jerod Mayo

Round 3

New York Jets: Mike McGlynn, OT, Pittsburgh
Right tackle Anthony Clement has the pass-blocking ability of a turnstile. The Jets need a major upgrade there if they want to keep Kellen Clemens healthy.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:17 pm

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:31 pm

Prospect Profile: Andrew Brackman
Posted by: Mike A. in Prospect Profiles

http://riveraveblues.com/2007/10/10/prospect-profile-andrew-brackman-1141/

Andrew Brackman | RHP

Background
Born and raised in Cincinnati, OH, Brackman starred in two sports at Cincy’s Moeller High, a school rich in baseball tradition (the school’s list of alumni includes Buddy & David Bell, Adam Hyzdu, Barry Larkin, and Ken Griffey Jr). It’s debatable whether Brackman had a better baseball or basketball career as a prepster.

On the court, Brackman averaged over 20 points & 6 rebounds per game, and led his conference in scoring and field-goal percentage (.654) as a senior, while finishing second in free throw percentage (.882). He was named Ohio’s Division 1 Player of the Year, first-team All State, and was runner-up for Ohio’s Mr. Basketball honors. On the mound, Brackman emerged as one of the top high school arms in the country. He finished his Crusader career sporting the seventh best ERA in Ohio history (1.04), helping his school to state and conference championships in his career. Baseball America rated Brackman as the 4th best prospect in the state for the 2004 draft.

Despite all his accomplishments, teams shied away from Brackman in the draft because of his two sport status, as well as a minor bout with tendonitis. After going undrafted, Brackman headed to North Carolina State where he majored in economics and was able to play both baseball & basketball. Brackman played sparingly for the NC State basketball team as a freshman, but he dazzled for the baseball squad.

Despite not making his debut until early April because of conflicts with the basketball schedule, Brackman still made 3 relief appearances and 7 starts for the Wolfpack, all of which resulted in wins for the team. Brackman was outstanding down the stretch for NC State, twirling 6 scoreless innings at East Carolina, followed by a 12 K performance against Andrew Miller and the 7th ranked North Carolina, and topped off by 7 innings of 1 run ball in a victory over 8th ranked Miami in the first round of the ACC tournament.

As you probably suspect, there were very high expectations for Brackman’s sophomore season. Unfortunately things didn’t go as planned, as a stress fracture in his hip ended his season after only 7 appearances. Prior to the injury however, Brackman played in all 32 games for the basketball team, helping the squad to the Sweet 16. After rehabbing from the injury, Brackman decided to quit basketball and focus solely on baseball.

In an effort to make up for lost time, as well as build up his draft stock, Brackman headed to the Cape Cod League in 2006. He finished with a 1.06 ERA in 6 appearances (2 starts) for the Orleans Cardinals, but he left the team early to join the USA Baseball team, with whom he threw 4 scoreless innings. Even though he left the Cape early, Baseball America still ranked Brackman as the number 2 prospect in the circuit behind South Carolina first basemen Justin Smoak, who is in the conversation for 1st overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Free from the hardwood, Brackman headed into his draft year at or near the top of most draft boards. He was dominant early in the year, giving up no runs against 18 strikeouts in his first 17.1 IP, all wins for the Wolfpack (including this game vs Boston College). Brackman began to tire down the stretch, having eclipsed his innings total from the previous 2 years combined. He also suffered from a bout with elbow tendonitis, and spent time away from the team after an ex-girlfriend was killed in a car accident. Brackman didn’t pitch after May 31st.

A legitamite candidate for the #1 overall pick in January, Brackman’s sub-par season/injuries/price tag caused teams to shy away on draft day. It wasn’t long ago that the Yanks actively sought out safe, conservative & cheap players in the draft, but it became blatantly obvious when they selected Brackman with the 30th overall pick that that draft philosophy was dead. After much negotiation, Brackman agreed to a 4-year Major League deal that could potentially become the richest in draft history.

Pro Debut
After months of speculation, Brackman finally had Tommy John surgery in late August, wiping out any chance he had of seeing game action.

Strengths
The kid’s got a Golden Arm, and there’s not a reasonable person alive that would say otherwise. He pitches at 94-96 with his fastballs (both four & two-seamer), and he’s touched 99 on more than one occasion. He uses his massive size to his advantage (6′-10″, 240 lbs), pitching on an extreme downhill plane with his fastball. When Brackman is at his best, it’s nearly impossible for hitters to get any lift on his hard stuff. His heat is good and he knows it, challenging hitters in zone.

As good as his fastball is, his spike curveball may be even better. A true sledgehammer, Brackman’s curve comes in around 84 mph and just disappears out of the zone. It’s a legit put away pitch. His greatest accomplishment over the last 18 months has been improving his changeup, which went from barely usable to above average, with a chance to be more.

Brackman is an outstanding athlete as well, which is kind of a prerequisite for playing 2 sports at the Division I level. He earned major makeup and work ethic bonus points with me by spending his winter rehabbing in Tampa, as opposed to going home for the first few months like most TJ patients.

Weaknesses
Being a 6′-10″ pitcher has some major pitfalls, none bigger than hindering his delivery & mechanics. He’s still developing comfortable, consistent mechanics and is learning to keep all his limbs in check during his motion. You have to be patient, it’s likely to take years, not months, before he gets it right (see Randy Johnson or Jon Rauch). You can check out his delivery here.

Despite being a college pick, Brackman is still pretty raw. He’s figuring out the nuances of pitching, and generally just going through the motions of learning how to translate his immense talent into results. Oh, and the whole Tommy John surgery thing kinda sucks too.

2008 Outlook
Brackman will spend 2008 rehabbing from TJ. A typical rehab schedule sets the following milestones for him:

* Late-December/Early-January: begin throwing from flat ground
* Late-February/Early-March: being throwing from a mound
* Late-MarchEarly-April: begin throwing breaking balls
* May-June: begin throwing batting practice/simulated games
* August-September: return to game action

Return to game action for Brackman likely means short, closely monitored appearances in Extended Spring Training, followed by participation in fall Instructional League. Winter ball isn’t out of the question, but only if he comes back feeling super stong. More than likely, Brackman’s coming out party is set for 2009.

My Take
For the second straight year I found myself defending the Yanks’ first round pick in the days and weeks following the draft, but the Brackman situation differs greatly from the Ian Patrick Kennedy situation. Look, I can understand if people question drafting a guy with elbow troubles, and I can certainly understand questioning the contract, but the draft doesn’t happen in a vacuum. No player drafted after Brackman comes close to matching his talent nor his upside (very few drafted before him fit that criteria as well). I think Lane Meyer of NoMaas fame put it best:

In reality though, the Yankees weren’t taking Andrew Brackman as the foundation upon which to construct the future, and then building atop and around him with subsequent draft picks. The foundation had already been built, and despite his status as the “first-round pick” Brackman was actually the last addition to the plan; the new wing to a well-built mansion.

Yes there’s risk in the pick, but there’s risk in every draft pick. But think of the cost: $4.55M guaranteed. That’s nothing. It’s less than 11.4% of what the Yanks are paying Carl Pavano. Just do yourself a favor and sit back, and enjoy watching what the kid can do. It’s going to be fu

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:32 pm

Brackman about to begin throwing for Yankees

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354187938&path=!localnews&s=1037645509099

SPECIAL FEATURES
Election 2008Get the scoop on Trail Mix, the Journal's new political blog.
» Read more

Submit your photos and videos! It's easy.

Get the latest news from Washington, D.C.

TAMPA, Fla. - Former North Carolina State pitcher Andrew Brackman is about to warm up for the New York Yankees.

The 6-foot-10 Brackman was the Yankees' first round pick in the 2007 amateur draft. He's scheduled to start throwing from 90 feet next week.

Brackman had surgery on Aug. 24 and was expected to be sidelined 12-to-18 months.

He's one of two Yankee pitchers who are taking part in throwing programs after elbow ligament replacement surgery last year.

Humberto Sanchez, who's one of three pitchers obtained from Detroit for outfielder Gary Sheffield, expects to throw off a mound by late next month.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Yanks Want Darvish in 2009

http://nyyinsider.com/?p=110

The New York Yankees WANT Yu Darvish!I’ve been talking about Darvish now for about 3 years and if the Ham Fighters -who are having a lot of financial troubles-, post this DOMINANT young SP, expect the Yankees to be the team Darvish pitches for. Since I got to leave now, I will post this video! Please watch and see how good Darvish is, also I will have a lot more late

Posted: January 1st, 2008 under Yankee News.
Comments: 10
Comments

Comment from Smokey Mac Pot
Time: January 1, 2008, 8:39 pm

148-150 km/h 2seamer, that is what? 92-94

he keeps his slider down which is good

Comment from yourmom
Time: January 1, 2008, 9:17 pm

If we get this dude it won’t be til next year.

Comment from Jason
Time: January 1, 2008, 9:50 pm

i wouldnt pay a bigger posting than Matsuzaka as well as a bigger salary, unless we get more Ks, more wins, lower ERA, and a few extra MPH on the fastball.

Comment from Mark
Time: January 2, 2008, 12:12 am

He looks good but you can’t forget about what the posting fee will be. I also think the Yankees will be a lot more hesitant about japanese pitchers after arabu, igawa and dice k who is a little bit above average. The posting fee would be above 50 mil and prob 13-14 a year. Why not just go after Sabathia when hes a FA next year or Santana if he doesn’t get traded.

Comment from Michael R
Time: January 2, 2008, 10:36 am

His command of the stike zone is excellent, and he can make his pitchers dance -spin, fade, etc.

Comment from Doug
Time: January 3, 2008, 11:10 am

He is different than Igawa, Look at his pitches, they are all down in strike zone and he has a good delivery too

Comment from k
Time: January 3, 2008, 12:40 pm

listen, i dont meant to bash on you again, but why would we expect him to pitch for the Yankees? dont say bc we have the most money bc look where that got us with dice-k. he was a “sure bet” to be a yankee and look what happened. unless u have some inside information, which you clearly do not, dont say he will be pitching for the yankees. and i’m sorry we dont really know if the yanks want him, if u are going by mlbtraderumors.com bc i am guessing thats where u got your info.

Comment from Matt Twist
Time: January 3, 2008, 6:41 pm

Yu Darvish looks way better than Daisuke Matsuzaka. I like the video. If the Yankees get him, that would be good. I look at Darvish and Matsuzaka pitch and Darvish looks more impressive and throws more strikes than Matsuzaka. Matsuzaka isn’t that good, I think Darvish will be better than him if he decides to come to the U.S.

Comment from Vinny
Time: January 4, 2008, 7:35 am

While I agree with k, that we should not expect him to pitch for the yanks, I do not expect the yanks not to be in the bidding for this guys services. Look back on dice-k it was actually a good move that we did not get him only b/c he started to tire down the stretch and he was not worth the $$ boston paid for him. This kid is 20 yo and pitches way better than dice. I fully expect the yankees to go after him full bore and quite possibly to get him.

Comment from Thomas
Time: January 6, 2008, 12:08 pm

Although his offspeed looks good, his fastball translates to 90mph tops, usually around 88-89. He is blowing it by guys at the knees in the middle of the plate, but in MLB that wont cut it. If he leaves a two strike fastball down the middle of the plate at the knees, it will be over the wall. This guy seems like another pitcher who will see less success overseas

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:37 pm

* Manramfan

man there's a real intelligent point of view of the topic being discussed. Actually the World Champions have 2 offers into the twins so it doens't appear that it's a price raising deal. Santana would rather be a yankee, yeah right, when did he say that? Oh nevermind he didn't say that, but your analysis believes that, but of course based on your post your analysis part of your brain isn't quite all there

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Even if we were willing to offer Johan the money & years he wants, he already has more money than he will ever be able to spend. I think just as much as the money are two other factors. 1) He wants to win a World Series or three. In his heart, I doubt he believes the Twins will if he is taking up 1/3 of their payroll. 2) EGO. He wants to sign the biggest contract in history for a pitcher (& the union also wants that to happen). If he “settles” for 6 years at 22 million per with the Twins, he probably could have gotten 6 years at 30 million from a big market team. So if he gambles on one more productive healthy year, roundabout or beantown will probably be very happy. The trade before the season will be the best of both worlds for Johan. He will increase his odds of winning the WS & maxing out his contract without a gamble of a healthy year. Of course he will be all on board for a trade. I would imagine BS asked him which teams he would accept & now he will try to get the best deal from whichever of those teams is on the list. Trade this week. Done deal. ANY of the mentioned trades are better than only 2 draft picks. Time will be needed to prepare for upcoming season & any further moves. There could be several more to come. You will need a program to identify all the new players.

Roundabout.

At this point in time I think the writers in NY are just needing to fill up column space.

I think that Santana will be traded within the next 10 days.

I believe right now the leading candidate is the Mets if the Mets pull the trigger.

And as for Hank sounding the alarm it sounds like yet another comment to try and lower the trading position of the Twins in the national media, and to scare all the players into a nice game of collusion to reduce the price.

Competition is supposed to drive the price up, and Hank always finds a way to open his freaking mouth and mess with the overall value on Santana.

Santana is still the only way the Yankees are getting into the playoffs in 2008.

I’ve gotten to the point where I’d name my next pet after the person that staples Hank’s mouth shut, and I’d name my next child after the man that uses a hammer and nails to do it!

Everytime he opens his freaking mouth I just get angry. Atleast the Red Sox and Mets are keeping quiet, and working on deals… Hank just likes to hear himself talk…

I’d like for him to hear ME talk. I don’t care how much a person is worth, or their power I will speak my mind. I loved the Yankees until about the season after Paul O’Neill Retired… so it’s not like I’m speaking to you as someone who doesn’t know about Yankee tradition, or winning…

But at this point in time… if Hank said he’d trade Cano, Kennedy, and the Yes Network for Santana… I’d say only if you sign on that you will not open your freaking mouth about on going trades again without being placed on a 50 game suspension for your steriod laced mouth… because only a mouth on steroids could talk that much GARBAGE that often without getting tired

Guys,

One of the things that could affect whether we would consider trading Nathan for Pie is what we get for Santana. If we get BOTH F-Mart and Gomez then there really IS no room for a talent like Pie. We’d have Young, Cuddyer, Kubel, Pridie, Monroe and the two young Mets OFers. I don’t think the Twins are even considering resigning Santana. I think they feel they made their best offer and the book is closed. But that is a mistake. One of the hallmarks of the Twins FO has been to constantly misjudge the maketplace. To be blunt, the only moves that Terry Ryan can really hang his hat on are the A.J. Pierzyinski trade and the Shannon Stewart trade. Everything else has been wing and a prayer disaster. Billy Smith made a great deal for Delmon Young, but now he has to seriously look over the offers for Santana and decide if he’s “blown away” by any. If not, he needs to look at Carlos Silva, 4 yrs $48 million and decide if Santana is affordable at $20 million per year. I think not only is he affordable, in 3 years he’ll be a bargain! I hope the Twins haven’t made their minds up that they have no option but to trade Santana because if he’s our opening day starter THIS year, I want him to be here a lot longer

ays:

January 13th, 2008 at 1:39 pm

BC,
Your ranting against Hank Steinbrenner is misplaced. It’s Bill Madden the columnist making these observations.

And it’s possible the NY media is on target as opposed to the non-news or Twins spinning of the reporters for the Trib. If you believed the Trib, teams were knocking down the doors in their rush to get Santana and were willing to give up their whole franchises for the great lefty.
The fact is NO NO and, guess what, NO.

Look at Seattle. Seattle is looking to give up its top prospect - Adam Jones - to the Orioles for Erick Bedard, not Johan Santana.

Between your rants about Steinbrenner, tell us why that’s so? Tell us why the Dodgers have not made a bit for the best pitcher in baseball or trhe Angels?

Just like you think Nathan is worth Pie and Gallagher. Hey, lets forget about what the Cubs think. The Cubbies should be on their chewing gum knees thanking the G-ds of baseball that the Twins would even consider trading them them. Why not toss in Soriano with it. Nathan is worth the best the Cubs have and more.

As for Steinbrenner devaluing Santana, pleased tell us how? Maybe the price YOU want is too high.

Steinbrenner is not bowing on his knees and genuflecting to the whining of Twins fans and give the poor poor Twins everyone you want, just cause the Yanks are player-money rich and the Twins are poor sister.

As for the Yanks not making the playoffs without Santana, we shall see. You can believe that. The Yanks have made the playoffs before without Santana.

Steinbrenner is being honest. He’s asked a question and he asks (more than what your ownership does; maybe we’re used to straight-talking in NYC).

You don’t want the the hear the truth. The trade market is not getting any better for Santana, unless some team jumps out of the bushes. Take the Boston deal, please. Do us all a favor, stop whining and blaming Steinbrenner for YOUR TEAM’S inability to work out a trade or just saying Yes.

Now that’s my rant

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Bill Madden

"In the case of Santana, I'm beginning to think the Yankees, by indicating they're out of contention, have sounded the call of sanity that, to the Twins' dismay, may well be echoed by the Red Sox and Mets. Think of it: The Twins are looking to get four legitimate prospects back for their free agent-to-be lefthanded ace, after which the acquiring team will then have to reach a long-term contract agreement with Santana, who is said to be looking for six years at $25 mil per."

Of course, he also goes on to NOT list the Yankees as contenders .......sheesh. I know they have young pitchers, but the Yankees are always contenders.....(roll eyes)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ld.html?page=0

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next