Mets can get Santana if they include Martinez

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Mets can get Santana if they include Martinez

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:15 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3203231

Sefx-Ma: How do you stop Greg Jennings if you were Giants? Press Coverage or Man to Man?

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (4:13 PM ET ) I think you have to try to get up and press him if you can. He's such a good route runner. He gets a free release. They have to try and be aggressive. It depends on how much pressure they can get on the edge.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:21 pm

How Santana becomes a Met

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/1050espnradio/sectional?id=sportsclicker

Listen (Thursday, Jan 17): In the MARCHAND MINUTE, Andrew Marchand reports how and why Johan Santana could become a Met.

http://espn-edge.andohs.net/0000A6/mp3/stations/1367/080117_marchand.mp3

The consensus of major league executives is still that the Twins will trade Johan Santana prior to spring training.

The feeling is that Twins GM Bill Smith can make his best deal now and will be motivated to avoid the circus that keeping Santana to the start the season would create. Plus, if Smith doesn't trade Santana now, Santana may not waive his no trade clause during the season and there is the possibility Santana could get hurt.

That would leave Smith with just two draft choices for Santana.

Santana's first choice might be to go to the Mets and he may be able to drive the process. The Yankees are out at the moment with Brian Cashman and Hal Steinbrenner convincing Hank Steinbrenner not to give up Phil Hughes. Hank's mind, of course, has been known to change.

The Red Sox want Santana, but may not be willing to give him a six-year contract. This leaves the Mets enjoying how the chips are falling.

Maybe the Mets win out because Santana wants to be in the National League. The Mets are willing to trade the most prospects. The Mets are hesitant to give any pitchers six years, but maybe they relent, leaving Smith's best choice: sending Santana to Shea.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:28 pm

So Everyone in the media like a Better Ratings.. Give me break...

First Redsox Won against for beaten up small market team Rockies..

Second, The Media like Espn wants Boston to be in NBA Finals.

Now the Pats and Packers. Brady vs Favre....

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:34 pm

Epstein still could make a significant move before opening the regular season in Japan. The Red Sox remain a contender for Minnesota ace lefthander Johan Santana, although the Mets appear to be his destination.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 pm

He's acting like every offer is a top flight player for every player in the deal..

Hughes,Melky,Marquez = one top flight person
Lester,Crisp,Lowrie,Masterson = one top flight person .. maybe .. depends on your opinion of Lester
Gomez,Guerra,Mulvey,Humber = two top flight talents, and then you throw in Fernando, and we are giving 3. Sounds fair in comparison to other offers? Nope.

There is a BIG difference between a top flight young MLB-ready player and a top flight minor leaguer. Huge.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 pm

back to Tabata, he's supposed to not have power, just contact, unlike Fernando

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Mets Fans says The Yankees can't have Santana because They're paying over luxury tax already so therefore The Mets could have him.

From Metsblog

Metro41

If Omar went to the papers and said: “The Mets recognize that it’s very difficult to sign a premiem FA pitcher. Historically, we were hesitant to sign long term deals to pitchers. However, we now recognize that the market has changed and we are re-evaluating our approach. While last offseason we wouldn’t offer 6-7 year deals, I could imagine a senario in the future that would change that dynamic.”

Santana becomes a Met. It’s not tampering but it sends a shot across Minnesota’s bow that:
1. The Mets will pay
2. Santana doesn’t have to compromise going to another team.
3. The Twins either get a lousy draft pick and sandwich pick or the 4 prospects in the Mets current offer.

The Red Sox and Yankees will be forced to pubically drop out because neither team would want to pay the luxury tax starting next year.

Biglou

They already pay the luxury tax, the Skankees payroll is near 200 mil.

Djdef
But they would have to pay more on the luxury tax as the payroll gets higher. The extra 20 or so mill would add more then 20 mill to the payroll with the additional luxury tax they would have to pay
(Comments wont nest below this level)

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Good to hear that even the Twins version of cerrone feels that the deal would be too heavily favored in the Twins direction if we put all 5 guys as mentioned into the deal.

” I think they’d be over-paying if they gave up Martinez, Gomez and the three main pitchers, especially if you have to give Santana $150 million.”

About sums it up doesn’t it?

If the TwinsBlog guy thinks the deal would be the METS overpaying..don’t you think Omar who actually drafted or signed most of these guys thinks the same way?

This deal is dead.

Thank goodness.

Lets get on with Plan B

“If the TwinsBlog guy thinks the deal would be the METS overpaying..don’t you think Omar who actually drafted or signed most of these guys thinks the same way?”

Uh.. no.. no I don’t

The deal is not dead.. and with 3 weeks before the start of spring training.. you’re about two months too late for plan b

I wonder if someone can clear this up? Did Aaron Gleeman initially back the Yankee deal suggesting the Mets were not in the race. A lot of his comments suggest that he is hoping all the rumours are incorrect to avoid ‘egg on face’ syndrome.

Don’t the statements “I think I still might lean towards Hughes just because I tend to think they should go quality over quantity if possible in this type of deal.” and “I think they’d be over-paying if they gave up Martinez, Gomez and the three main pitchers, especially if you have to give Santana $150 million.” contradict?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Read: MetsBlog Q&A with Aaron Gleeman

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/01/18/read-metsblog-qa-with-aaron-gleeman/#comment-81864

Aaron Gleeman is a Twins fan, and freelance writer whose work can be found regularly at AaronGleeman.com, NBC Sports and Rotoworld.

…i spent a few minuted by phone with gleeman earlier today to try and gauge how Twins feel about the rumored packages being mentioned for Johan Santana…

Matthew Cerrone:

It seems to me that the Minnesota reporters and the team’s GM are conveying this sense that Twins fans expect more than five unproven-prospects in a deal for Johan Santana, yet when I read Twins blogs and comments that does not appear to be the case – in fact, they seem to like the Mets prospects. So, what’s your take on what the Mets are rumored to be offering, compared to, say, Phil Hughes or Jacoby Ellsbury, etc…

Aaron Gleeman:

You bring up a good point, in that the closer you get to a source or a report being mainstream, like a newspaper, the more they’re going to rely on well-known prospects, like Hughes, which is why I think people tend to lean more towards the Yankees deal. Fernando Martinez is a really good prospect, but he’s a teenager and he hasn’t been around as much as Hughes, or hyped as much as Hughes. So, I think that’s why you may see some Twins fans shy away from the Mets package.

If Martinez is in the Mets package, I actually think it’s comparable to the Red Sox package, though I think I still might lean towards Hughes just because I tend to think they should go quality over quantity if possible in this type of deal.

You know, you’ve got to get at least one guy who you know will be a star, if not a super star.

Matthew Cerrone:

So, let’s say the Twins have to accept the deal from the Mets, how do you think this sort of prospect-heavy package would go over among your fellow fans…

Aaron Gleeman:

I think it’s gonna be tough no matter what, even if they get Hughes back or well-known guys like that. It’s gonna be a huge PR-hit, I can already see that, it’s already building – especially with Torii Hunter already leaving…It’s gonna be a big PR-hit either way, but I think people will be fine with the Mets package.

Matthew Cerrone:

You may have insight in to this from two points of view, one as a Twins fan and one as a Fantasy guru: Have you picked up anything regarding a potential injury? There was the report by Buster Olney at his blog for ESPN.com the other day, and I know Johan had surgery on his elbow around five years ago. Should a team like the Mets be concerned at all, since he looked a bit off in the second half of last season…

Aaron Gleeman:

Well, there are two possible things with Santana. Yes, he had the bone spurs removed in his elbow, which hasn’t been an issue – I don’t even think any one has talked about it in a couple of years. The second thing is, he some times deals with a cracked finger-nail on his pitching hand, which did bother him in the second half last year – I think it was closer to the All-Star break than the end of the season, though I don’t have the exact date…Since he struggled down the stretch, that’s definitely something people have pointed to as a possible explanation.

I saw the Olney article, and I think it was a bit of a stretch, from his stand point, to bring that up all of sudden and say maybe he was hurt. But, really, Santana has been a really streaky pitcher. He tends to, at least before last season, he would get off to sort of a slow start and then just be dominant in the second. Whereas last year, he was great in the first half then slowed down in the second half. If you flip that around there’s no injury concern, which is why I think it’s a little overblown.

Matthew Cerrone:

If you were a Mets fan, knowing what you know of Santana, and knowing he wants a seven-year deal, and knowing what you know of the the Mets prospects, would you pull the trigger on that deal?

Aaron Gleeman:

It’s a little tough for me to do, because it’s such an opposite situation from a Twins perspective. We never think like that. You have to always be planning, who is our best prospect at Low Single-A and how many years of service time do we get out of him before he leaves via free agency. Whereas, I imagine you guys think, as Mets fans, we might as well try to compete and go for a 95–win team every year because we have the resources to do that. They can do it through the draft, and hand out big signings bonuses, or through the International signings, like how you got Martinez to begin with – they can always sort of restock the system if you go for broke on a guy like Santana, which I think makes it a decent trade.

I think they’d be over-paying if they gave up Martinez, Gomez and the three main pitchers, especially if you have to give Santana $150 million. But, the Mets are one of a few teams who can make that overpayment, in terms of prospects and money, because they have money and they can restock with prospects a lot easier than a team like the Twins can.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Strahan's 'Phantom sack' of Favre in background with NFL title on line

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.: Michael Strahan is sick and tired of having his career and most cherished record tied to an alleged phantom sack of Brett Favre.

If you want to remember Favre laying down in the waning seconds of the last game of the 2001 season between the Green Bay Packers and the New York Giants to give Strahan an NFL single-season record 22 1/2 sacks, feel free, Strahan said.

"Remember it," Strahan said. "But go to Canton and there is a jersey hanging there with a sign saying 22.5, and somebody is going to break that someday. Sacks, I could care less about sacks. I want to win, and if I haven't said that enough, or if I haven't played like that over my career for you to believe that, then so be it. I believe it in my heart."

The 36-year-old Strahan did a lot of talking from his heart Thursday, just three days before he and his Giants (12-6) were to play Favre and the Packers (14-3) for the NFC title and a trip to the Super Bowl.

For the conspiracy theorists, Favre and Strahan denied that the two planned anything in 2001 so Strahan would get a sack to break Mark Gastineau's record of 22, set in 1984 with the New York Jets.
Today in Sports
Marcos Baghdatis outlasts Marat Safin in tough 5-set match
Olympic anti-doping agencies fault baseball officials' testimony
Newcastle fans revel in return of manager Kevin Keegan
Click here to find out more!

"I think I have said that numerous times that I didn't lay down," Favre said. "It is not something we discussed previous or after or whatever and said, 'Hey, we have a formal pact here.' That is over and done with. What he did that year, what he continues to do, is outstanding."

If there is one thing that unites the grizzled veterans, it's the respect they have for each other and their accomplishments.

The two aren't close friends.

If you noticed at the end of the Packers' 35-13 win over New York at Giants Stadium on Sept. 16, Strahan and Favre embraced, said a couple of words and each went their own way. They haven't spoken since.

"I respect the hell out of him as a player," said Strahan, who still had nine sacks this season despite missing all of training camp while mulling a potential retirement. "The best I have ever played against, and the best probably ever in this league."

Speaking about Favre earlier this season, Strahan said the 17-year veteran can be one of the most frustrating quarterbacks for a defense to face. The rush gets to him, he seems surrounded and somehow the ball comes out of his hand, goes to a receiver and ends up 20 yards downfield.

Other quarterbacks occasionally make the same play, but Favre does it more often and always with a smile on his face.

Even at 38, Favre moves better than most players at his position while being innovative at the same time, Strahan said.

"The thing that makes him so special and so different than everyone else is I look at the guys around him," Strahan said. "If you look around him, you are not looking at a bunch of marquee players who are known in every home around the country. You are looking at a bunch of guys who believe in each other and who, most of all, believe in their quarterback, and they follow him.

"He's a winner and that's why this team is a winning," Strahan said of the Packers. "Nothing more than Brett Favre doing what he has done for the last 17 years."

For the Giants to deny Favre a third trip to the Super Bowl, Strahan knows they have to pressure him, or at least do more than in September when they sacked him once and hit him twice.

Favre expects more pressure.

The statistics from the Giants last three games support his hunch. New York has had 27 quarterback hits and four sacks combined against Tom Brady, Jeff Garcia and Tony Romo in the final week of the regular season and the first two weeks of the playoffs.

Strahan, the NFL's active sacks leader with 141 1/2, had six hits and a sack in that span.

"He is a tremendous player," Favre said. "But he is going to want to get me this week — no different from any other time — and I'm going to find a way to get away from him and hopefully not allow him to be a factor."

There is one thing that Favre and Strahan know — this may be their last shot at the Super Bowl.

"He has a ring," Strahan said. "He can hang it up and say, 'I'm a Super Bowl champion at some point.' But all of us don't have that, and some of us are still pressing to get it."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:01 pm

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18877

mike (destruction island, WA): JG, I am leaving soon for a flight to Vegas and I value your opinion greatly. Predictions for me? Thanks and have a great weekend.

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (4:54 PM ET ) I like the Packers. They're playing at home. Third straight road game for the Giants. The Giants don't have a lot of big wins on their resume this year. Weather will be a factor. Ryan Grant will have a better day than Jacobs. I like the Pack, 24-20.

SportsNation Jeremy Green: (4:55 PM ET ) AFC, the biggest key for SD is their three star offensive players are not healthy. It's hard to win anywhere against anybody when that's the case. I think New England can spread them out and they won't turn the ball over. That's a big factor. I like the Pats 27-17.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:09 pm

It seems Espn loves New England and their sports team. That's perception from outsider and Non New England Sports Fans.. What are your thoughts?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Why wouldnt they offer Cano and Wang multi year deals? One of the reasons the Yanks spend so much on payroll is because they do a very poor job of tying up their young talent to reasonable contracts. Rather than take a chance on someone from their farm system that they are familiar with, they wait until the player’s value goes up and then negotiate.
Cano and Wang love being a Yankees. Why not take advantage of their loyalty and happiness? It’s a win - win.

It’s not just farmhands that they do a poor job with.If the Yanks had been in Boston’s shoes, they would have waited Ortiz out rather than sign him to a longer term,more reasonably priced deal. They would have waited till they the last minute and paid a higher price. They would have saved a bundle on Posada if they offered him an extension 2 years ago. I don’t think they will learn their lesson anytime soon.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Why wouldnt they offer Cano and Wang multi year deals? One of the reasons the Yanks spend so much on payroll is because they do a very poor job of tying up their young talent to reasonable contracts. Rather than take a chance on someone from their farm system that they are familiar with, they wait until the player’s value goes up and then negotiate.
Cano and Wang love being a Yankees. Why not take advantage of their loyalty and happiness? It’s a win - win. I think it's time for Yankees to get rid their policy and locked up young players.

It’s not just farmhands that they do a poor job with.If the Yanks had been in Boston’s shoes, they would have waited Ortiz out rather than sign him to a longer term,more reasonably priced deal. They would have waited till they the last minute and paid a higher price. They would have saved a bundle on Posada if they offered him an extension 2 years ago. I don’t think they will learn their lesson anytime soon.

Drive 4-5 - I agree. Why not offer Cano and Wang multi-year deals into their first years of free agency like the Mets did with Wright and Reyes. I think this is the one time that the Yanks should follow the Mets.

Both Wang and Cano are kind of low but the players really hold no leverage here. Their fate lays with the panel. With some BIG contracts coming to an end this year, perhaps the Yankees want to hold some of the money until next season. How many years can they keep going over the $200 million threshold? I would hope the 2009 Yankees are somewhere around $175 million once they dump the $20 million on Giambi, $11 million for Mussina, $16 million on Pettite, $10 million on Pavano, etc…..

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3