A-Rod Turns Mentor for College Ballplayer

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: A-Rod Turns Mentor for College Ballplayer

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Mets Rotation- Pedro, Johan, O.Perez,John Maine, and El Duque.

Last year, The Yankees struggle hitting against Odalis Perez which He started two games against them. If Mets Add Johan and Pedro coming back

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:14 pm

Kemp, outfielders who need to play
posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/karabell/index

Melky Cabrera, Yankees: My pal Joe Sheehan from Baseball Prospectus talked about Cabrera on the ESPNEWS Hot List the other day, right before I went on the air, and he called him a breakout candidate. While this initially surprised me, upon further research I think he's right. Cabrera might still be a year or two away from reaching 20 homers, but I think the steals are comin' sooner, and remember, he had nearly 1,000 at-bats before turning 23 years old. While it might seem obvious that Cabrera is the Yankees' best -- or only -- center fielder and deserves regular playing time, I don't think Jason Giambi is going to sit if he's healthy and has a big spring, and he's the guy who could affect Cabrera, by pushing Hideki Matsui from designated hitter to left field, and Johnny Damon from left to center. Do the Yankees ever do the obvious thing? So, I guess Cabrera belongs in this blog and a future one about players that are better than you think and about to emerge.

And here are some others, with more brief prose...

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:05 pm

Comments on your recent blog entry- Dollars and sense on the Santana deal

Mr.Abraham, The Yankees can afford Santana because $60+ million of next year payroll are coming off the books. Mussina,Giambi,Pavano,Farnsworth. The Yankees will have a New Stadium like NY Mets. The Yankees needs an ace after Wang pitching poorly in the playoffs against Indians. The Redsox doesn't need Santana because They're already have Beckett. Mets have a Pedro. Mets rotation consists of Pedro,Johan, and O.Perez. If NY Mets trade for Johan after Yankees who did struggling hitting Odalis Perez and Pedro coming back. I think Mets will have better rotation than The Yankees. This is why Yankees should fire Brian Cashman. Brian is the same Gm who traded for Randy Johnson and signed Roger Clemens.Also, He sign Carl Pavano to a contract and trade for Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown. Now He's scared not make a deal and trade for Johan aka Best pitcher in baseball? That's why Yankees will not W.s anytime soon as Cashman and stupid decision with starting pitching.. Trade for Johan now... I'm sick Phil Stinkin Hughes.

Mr.Gennaro concludes that it doesn't make sense for Sox and Yanks, but does for Mets. Ny Mets? So It's ok for the Mets not for The Yankees to have Santana? Why The Mets? It's because They need him most? They're already have Pedro as Ace. That's was the reason Omar sign him and lead Mets pitching staff.. Second, Mr.Gennaro also point out in his column that Ny Mets will have a new stadium in the works. Mr. Abraham, I would say the same thing for The Yankees as well and They will move to The New place call The New Yankee Stadium in 2009?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:10 pm

Mr.Abraham, The Yankees can afford Santana because $60+ million of next year payroll are coming off the books. Mussina,Giambi,Pavano,Farnsworth. The Yankees will have a New Stadium like NY Mets. The Yankees needs an ace after Wang pitching poorly in the playoffs against Indians. The Redsox doesn't need Santana because They're already have Beckett. Mets have a Pedro. Do The Yankees have an Ace in their rotation? The Mets rotation would look like this if they add Santana. Pedro,Johan, and O.Perez. If NY Mets trade for Johan after The Yankees who did struggle hitting Odalis Perez and Pedro coming back. I think Mets will have a better rotation than The Yankees. This is why Yankees should fire Brian Cashman. Brian is the same Gm who traded for Randy Johnson and signed Roger Clemens.Also, He sign Carl Pavano to a contract and trade for Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown. Now He's scared not make a deal and trade for Johan aka Best pitcher in baseball? That's why Yankees will not win W.s anytime soon as Cashman and his stupid decisions with starting pitching.. Trade for Johan now... I'm sick Phil Stinkin and overrated Hughes. I think Yankees should make this deal after losing to Dice-K to the Redsox last year instead Cashman signed Igawa.

Mr.Gennaro concludes that it doesn't make sense for Sox and Yanks, but does for Mets. Ny Mets? So It's ok for the Mets not for The Yankees to have Santana? Why The Mets? It's because They need him most? They're already have Pedro as Ace. That's was the reason Omar sign him and lead Mets pitching staff.. Second, Mr.Gennaro also point out in his column that Ny Mets will have a new stadium in the works. Mr. Abraham, I would say the same thing for The Yankees as well and They will move to The New place call The New Yankee Stadium in 2009?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:13 pm

Mr.Abraham, The Yankees can afford Santana because $60+ million of next year payroll are coming off the books. Mussina,Giambi,Pavano,Farnsworth. The Yankees will have a New Stadium like NY Mets. The Yankees needs an ace after Wang pitching poorly in the playoffs against Indians. The Redsox doesn't need Santana because They're already have Beckett. Mets have a Pedro. Do The Yankees have an Ace in their rotation? The Mets rotation would look like this if they add Santana. Pedro,Johan, and O.Perez. If NY Mets trade for Johan after The Yankees who did struggle hitting Odalis Perez and Pedro coming back. I think Mets will have a better rotation than The Yankees. This is why Yankees should fire Brian Cashman. Brian is the same Gm who traded for Randy Johnson and signed Roger Clemens.Also, He sign Carl Pavano to a contract and trade for Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown. Now He's scared not make a deal and trade for Johan aka Best pitcher in baseball? That's why Yankees will not win W.s anytime soon as Cashman and his stupid decisions with starting pitching.. Trade for Johan now... I'm sick Phil Stinkin and overrated Hughes. I think Yankees should make this deal after losing to Dice-K to the Redsox last year instead Cashman signed Igawa.

Jh

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:16 pm

Maine Man I agree about who would replace alou in ‘09, but what about our rotation if we dont get Santana? Pedro, Perez, Hernandez could all potentially be gone next year. That would leave maine and pelfrey with a bunch of unproven guys (Humber, Mulvey,etc) The major reason for the collapse was our pitching. To get a bona fide ace like Santana for 5 unproven guys is a must.

I do agree about flipping Gomez for F-Mart, but the Twins need a CF next year, so i doubt they would do that. Then again, what do I know? All I know is I want Santana pitching against the Marlins Opening Day 2008 in a mets uni..I just don’t see it happening the longer this drags on..

i don’t care what anyone says or thinks. but, for one feel that we shouldn’t trade all three of our prized outfielders(millegde, gomez, martinez) in the same offseason. plus who will play corner outfield after this season, church?, endy?, alou? will we try for another trade?, pay some guy big bucks? when all we had to do is just try to keep either martinez or gomez..

Also as much as i agree with BSMITTYFDNY, i think that F-MART will be a better player than Gomez just cuz martinez, 19, put up better numbers injured in AA than most AA kids who are much older.i would try to keep F-MART even if it means parting with heilman.

The closer we get to spring training, the more likely Santana is staying on the Twins.

Think about it, if the Yankees are sincerely out of the race and Boston is just standing pat, how come the mets have not aquired him yet? I know i’ve read that the twins management are determining whether to go for major league ready players (Red Sox) and prospects (mets) but this is taking way too long.

If F-Mart is holding up the deal, that is ridiculous. I know he has a high ceiling, but he is a prospect. He could turn out to be Alex Escobar before he becomes a star. Hopefully Omar knows what he’s doing, but for the last two offseasons he hasn’t done a damn thing.

I’m happy to see it broken down economically by an expert. Makes sense to me. So based on his calculations for it to be a fair deal most of the prospects we give up have to work out for the Twins. And if most of them dont work out we win the deal. All signs point to it being a no brainer for Omar. He needs to make the deal happen at this point for the sake of his fanbase. We have come to close for us not to get him now. I for one will be very disapointed and let down if Santana isnt on the mound opening day as a Met. Furious better describes it. Look at F-Mart’s numbers in the minors last year. Not impressive at all. He cant be the player that holds up this trade. Maybe if we give him up we can take out Gomez who can play RF for us with Church this year. If they would rather F-Mart let them have him. Gomez will be better in my opinion.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Arkansas' junior backfield debuts on Big Board
Jr.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3201365

My latest Big Board now reflects the underclassmen who have declared for April's draft, and they make up almost half of the top 25. Junior Darren McFadden is the No. 1 prospect in the draft, but that doesn't mean he will be the first overall pick. Also with underclassmen, accurate and official mearsurables (height, weight, vertical leap) won't be available until the combine workouts. Right now, their spots on the Big Board are based on performance and potential at the next level.

Few interesting notes from the latest top 25 Big Board:

• Nine of the top 13 players are linemen (six defensive, three offensive).

• Notable schools currently not represented in the top 25 are Florida, Texas, Georgia, West Virginia and Tennessee

• There are only three schools with more than one player on the Big Board: USC (4), Miami (2) and Arkansas (2).

* Asterisk denotes underclassman

1. *Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (6-foot-1, 208) | Previous: Unranked
The reasons for his dynamic performances throughout his career are excellent vision, very good balance, game-breaking speed and a passion for the game.

2. Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU (6-2, 292) | Previous: 1
Disruptive force along the interior. If there is one non-skill position player fans should watch, Dorsey is the one, because, despite constant double-teams, he is always making plays or opening up space for his teammates.

3. Jake Long, OT, Michigan (6-6, 320) | Previous: 2
Top-drawer left or right tackle prospect.

4. Chris Long, DE, Virginia (6-4, 282) | Previous: 3
A 3-4 defensive end with great bloodlines who understands leverage and uses his hands as well as any D-lineman in the country.

5. Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC (6-1, 297) | Previous: 4
Tampa Bay Bucs-style DT with superior quickness and a nonstop motor.

6. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College (6-4, 223) | Previous: 5
He has the size and arm to wow the NFL brass during testing.

7. *Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State (6-5, 320) | Previous: Unranked
[+] Enlarge
Vernon Gholston

Matthew Emmons/US Presswire

Defensive end Vernon Gholston's versatility could very well make him a top-10 pick in April's draft.
An excellent left tackle prospect with athletic ability and solid technique that will make him a great blindside protector in the NFL.

8. *Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas (6-1, 193) | Previous: Unranked
A game-changing cover corner who had 11 interceptions the last two seasons. Talib has outstanding recovery speed and tremendous leaping ability. He also showed his versatility by catching 8 passes (four for touchdowns) on offense.

9. *Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio St. (6-3, 262) | Previous: Unranked
He took his play to a new level in 2007, showcasing the explosiveness to overpower offensive tackles at the point of attack. Gholston also has excellent closing speed, as evidenced by the 14 sacks he registered. He also has the versatility to play with his hand off the ground.

10. *DeSean Jackson, WR, California (5-11, 168) | Previous: Unranked
Exciting wideout and returner with very good natural pass receiving skills. Jackson has excellent speed and is a terrific open-field runner.

11. *Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (6-7, 280) | Previous: Unranked
Physically imposing with his height and wingspan, Campbell is able to beat offensive tackles with either speed or power. He does a good job of varying his pass rush moves, while also proving to be solid against the run.

12. Sam Baker, OT, USC (6-4½, 310) | Previous: 7
Exceptional pass-blocker with superb technique.

13. Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina (6-4, 298) | Previous: 6
Unbelievably talented player who is primed for a breakout season.

14. *Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas (5-11, 202) | Previous: Unranked
[+] Enlarge
Felix Jones

Caleb Simpson/US Presswire

Felix Jones rushed for 1,162 yards in 2007 … on just 133 carries.
Tremendously explosive and versatile, Jones gained a whopping 8.7 yards per carry this season, while also excelling as a kickoff returner, gaining nearly 30 yards per return.

15. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville (6-3, 223) Previous: 12
He's a polished pure passer, but durability and mobility are concerns.

16. *Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (5-10, 233) | Previous: Unranked
A strong and athletic, big running back who displays tremendous patience with the way he sets up his blocks.

17. *Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (6-1½, 200) | Previous: Unranked
While he had a decent, but not great season, Phillips has the skill level necessary to reach high honors in the NFL. He has excellent range, good ball skills and is solid in run support. Also keep in mind that safeties are in high demand in the NFL these days and Phillips is clearly the top safety in this year's draft.

18. Dan Connor, LB, Penn State (6-2½, 231) | Previous: 8
Big-play performer who always seems to be around the ball.

19. Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida (5-11½, 202) | Previous: 15
He has excellent recovery speed and the toughness you look for in a cornerback. His size allows him to match up with an opponent's No. 1 wide receiver.

20. *Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois (5-10, 224) | Previous: Unranked
Authoritative runner with a major league burst through the hole. Mendenhall's hard-charging style makes him difficult to get to the ground.

21. *Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma (6-1, 200) | Previous: Unranked
Played extremely well as a strong safety in 2006 and then as a cornerback in 2007. Smith is athletic and tough, with dual versatility that NFL teams like.

22. Keith Rivers, LB, USC (6-3, 233) | Previous: 11
He has the skill set to become a super blue-chipper. Rivers isn't spectacular, but he's a solid all-around player.

23. *Pat Sims, DT, Auburn (6-3½, 305) | Previous: Unranked
Really came into his own this season, finishing with 11½ tackles for loss, 4½ sacks, and three forced fumbles. Sims uses his strength and leverage to hold strong at the point of attack, and also possesses the explosiveness to beat double-team blocks and collapse the pocket.

24. Fred Davis, USC (6-4, 253) | Previous: 9
Productive, consistent and multitalented. He's caught five or more passes in eight of 13 games, while also doing a very capable job as an inline blocker. Davis stretches the deep middle of the field with big plays, while bringing excellent physical and athletic skills to the tight end spot.

25. Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy (5-10½, 185) | Previous: 17
Not only a very good cover man with superior recovery ability (runs in the 4.38 range) and the aggressiveness to get the job done in run support, McKelvin has made a name for himself as the top return man in the entire nation. He's also stood out this season in games against the likes of Arkansas, Florida, Oklahoma State and Georgia. With his speed and versatility, McKelvin will bring a great deal of value to a football team.

DROPPED
Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt (6-5½, 318) | Previous: 10
Top-drawer talent, possessing superior athleticism and good feet to neutralize outside pass-rushers.

Ali Highsmith, LB, LSU (6-1, 225) | Previous: 13
Showed tremendous potential in 2005 before taking a step back as a junior. Highsmith re-established himself as one of the top linebackers in the SEC.

Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh (6-5, 339) | Previous: 14
Light on his feet for a huge bookend, Otah is still developing. He played only one year in high school and two at the junior college level. He also played basketball in junior college and is a tremendous athlete. His upside and potential are going to excite offensive line coaches in the NFL.

Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC (6-4, 266) | Previous: 16
A strong finish to 2006 carried over to 2007. Jackson is a decent pass-rusher but is solid against the run. He's also strong at the point of attack.

Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina (5-10½, 200) | Previous: 18
Fast and versatile, Johnson is a decisive and hard-nosed runner with game-breaking ability. He's also an excellent pass receiver and dangerous kickoff returner. His 4.35 speed in the 40-yard dash will turn some heads at the combine and at individual workouts.

Bruce Davis, LB, UCLA (6-2¼, 233) | Previous: 19
A difference maker who will be an ideal DE/OLB in a three-four defense in the NFL because of his athleticism and ability to put pressure on the quarterback.

Limas Sweed, WR, Texas (6-4, 217) | Previous: 20
TD maker who plays fast with pads on. Sweed is out for the season following a wrist injury, but he proved his playmaking skills over his career.

Early Doucet, WR, LSU (5-11½, 205) | Previous: 21
Super-talented, is LSU's go-to option this season, although he has been slowed by injuries. Still, he has the quickness and natural receiving skills to play on the outside or as a slot receiver in the NFL.

Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana (5-10½, 183) | Previous: 22
Not only a skilled cover man, but Porter -- a four-year starter -- is a dynamic punt returner as well.

Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska (6-5, 345) | Previous rank: 23
For a bookend offensive lineman, Nicks is extremely light on his feet. After stops at New Mexico State and a junior college, Nicks dramatically improved his draft stock in 2007.

Quentin Groves, DE, Auburn (6-3, 251) | Previous: 24
Speed rusher with the talent to rank as one of the more feared sack artists in the nation.

Donnie Avery, WR, Houston (5-11, 185) | Previous: 25
Possesses excellent hands, has great footwork and is very dynamic in the open field after the catch. Also has blistering speed in the 40-yard dash (4.35).

Click here to send a question to Mel Kiper for possible use on ESPNEWS.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Pack Attacked

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=271223003

Green Bay Packers
It's safe to say the Packers are glad they won't have to face the Bears again this season. Chicago swept Green Bay for the second time in three seasons, outscoring the Pack 62-27 along the way.

vs. Bears

vs. Others
W-L 0-2 12-1
PPG 13.5 28.8
Opp PPG 31.0 16.6
Turnovers PG 3.5 1.2

Scouts Buzz
Chicago was able to perform better than archrival Green Bay in adverse weather conditions. The Bears established the line of scrimmage in the trenches and controlled the tempo of the game. Chicago also fared much better in special teams on this cold and windy day. Green Bay punter Jon Ryan dropped a snap, mishandled another that resulted in a 9-yard punt and had two punts blocked. Third-year QB Kyle Orton was efficient with the short and intermediate passing game, and the RB combination of Adrian Peterson and rookie Garrett Wolfe was able to pound the ball effectively against the Packers’ 4-3 defensive scheme. The poor weather clearly leveled the playing field for the theoretically overmatched Bears.
-- Ken Moll, Scouts Inc.

· Complete Week 16 Scouts Buzz

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:39 pm

Scouts Buzz
It's amazing how often the Packers run and complete quick slant routes. They mix in a few crosses, screens, hooks and the occasional vertical route when the corners are biting too hard on the slant. As happened against the Bears, the rare vertical routes often result in points. But for the most part, Green Bay can beat a defense with slant after slant.

Brett Favre and his receivers execute this route extremely well. When cornerbacks press, the Packers' strong wideouts use their hands well to get off the jam quickly. When corners play off, the receivers get underneath the coverage and shield them with their strong bodies. The receivers often are going into the teeth of the defense after the catch, but they avoid tacklers well.

Favre's timing is superb, and he puts the ball on the money time and time again. He is extremely confident in his receivers and is throwing to a spot, which shows a great deal of trust. However, when Green Bay got away from it, the offense sputtered and lost its rhythm.
-- Matt Williamson, Scouts Inc.
• Complete Week 5 Scouts Buzz

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Noname January 19th, 2008 at 3:31 pm

In other — admittedly not very pleasant — news, “Name of Possible Witness Emerges in an Audiotape” in a report in the NY Times today.

The audiotape mentioned is the one Clemens maybe never should have participated in, the one Jan. 4th surreptitiously taped in that conversation he had with Brian McNamee.

I wonder if the reason the Hendricks brothers have been practically invisible lately is because of proof of their employee’s apparent involvement. They were probably appalled when apprised of the Jan. 4th tape.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:52 pm

* os
* Real Estate
* Jobs
* Classifieds
* Shop
* Tickets
* Contests
* Games

Site Blogs Discussions

* News
o NY Crime
o Politics
o US/World News
o Headlines/Archives
o News Columnists
o News Blogs
o News Photos
* Sports
o Baseball
o Football
o Basketball
o Hockey
o College
o High School
o Other Sports
o Sports Columnists
o Sports Photos
o Sports Blogs
o Sports Pick'em
* Gossip
o Rush & Molloy
o Gatecrasher
o Celebrity Photos
* Entertainment
o Movies
o Television/Radio
o Music
o Arts
o Horoscopes
o Entertainment Columnists
o Entertainment Blogs
o Entertainment Photos
* NY Local
o Bronx
o Brooklyn
o Queens
o Education
o Weather
o Traffic & Transit
o Lottery
o Death Notices
o NY Local Columnists
o NY Local Blogs
* Opinions
o Editorials
o Discussions
o Letters to Editor
o Opinion Columnists
* Video
o
* Blogs
o
* Lifestyle
o Food / Dining
o Health
o Travel
o Lifestyle Columnists
o Lifestyle Photos
* Money
o Mortgage
o Home Equity
o Retirement
o Checking & Savings
o Credit Cards
o Personal Finance
* Latino
o Español
* Services
o Your Profile
o Home Delivery
o Headlines/Archives
o RSS/Tools
o Media Kit
o N.I.E.
o Contact

Saturday, January 19, 2008
The Blue Screen RSS Sports Blog

* Blogs Home
* News
o The Daily Politics
o Mouth of The Potomac
* Sports
o The Daily Blahg
o The Blue Screen
o The Jets Stream
o Blogging the Bombers
o Surfing The Mets
o Subway Squawkers
o Touching Base
o Knicks Knation
o The InterNets
o Hoops on Hoops
o The Blueshirts Blog
o The ITeam Blog
* Entertainment
o I Love To Watch
o Movies In Focus
o The Culture Tourist
* Lifestyle
o A Touch of Rosemary
o Sweet Talk
* Local
o Astoria N/W York
o The Bath Beach Beat
o Rock, Rock, Rockaway Beach

January 19, 2008
Frozen tundra sure ain't no joke

Last night, I laid out the clothes that I’ll be wearing on Sunday night and the ensemble included two pairs of socks, corduroy pants, a short-sleeve T-shirt, a long-sleeve T-shirt, a thermal shirt, a turtle neck, a sweater, gloves, a scarf, ear muffs, and a long wool coat.

After being in Green Bay for all of 15 minutes, I am convinced that will not be nearly enough.

I am also convinced I am not tough enough or hearty enough to be an Eskimo, because despite being in my hotel room with the heat turned up to 80 I am still literally shaking in my shoes. My entire outside experience was walking from my car to the hotel lobby, and then from my car to my room, yet I still feel like I spent the last hour sitting naked in a refrigerator eating ice cream.

I don’t know how these people survive here, unless they all wear heated pants and occasionally light each other on fire for warmth.

According to weather.com, the current temperature in Green Bay is minus-9, with 11 mph winds, making it actually feel like minus-27.

It’s so cold that on my way into my room, the housekeeper stopped me and said “We left the water running in your room. Don’t turn it off, or the pipes will freeze.”

Great.

Actually, none of this would be as horrible as it seems if it wasn’t for the fact that, within the hour, I’ll be standing outside Lambeau Field, shooting a segment that will air later tonight (6 p.m.) on Sportsnite on SNY. I have no idea why I ever agreed to do this. Then I’ve got to do it tomorrow night, too.

The least SNY could’ve done was buy me heated pants.

Anyway, for the record, like Eli Manning I will be wearing a glove. Unlike Eli Manning, I will be wearing two. I’ll also be wearing sleeves, unlike those big, tough Giants offensive linemen. In fact, since they’re not using them, perhaps I’ll ask to borrow their sleeves, too.

The forecast for kickoff tomorrow night is warming up. They’re now calling for 3-degree temperatures with wind chills only in the negative single digits.

The early forecast for Phoenix next Saturday, when I arrive for Super Bowl XLII: Partly cloudy, 68 degrees.

Think warm thoughts … Think warm thoughts … Think warm thoughts …

If you haven’t seen it, you should check out our 24-page special NFC championship game section, published in today’s Daily News. But you should also buy a paper if you can find one in your area. Not only are there a few items in the section that aren’t available on the Web, but the section is destined to be a collectors’ item, too.

By the way, nobody’s given you more or better coverage of the NFC championship game than the Daily News, but despite the best efforts of a cast of thousands, not everything made it into the paper. A few days ago, Hank Gola heard this great story in the Giants’ locker room, but I was never quite able to fit it in.

So now it’s another Blue Screen bonus feature, just for you:

Backup offensive lineman Grey Ruegamer, who played in Green Bay from 2003-05, said the coldest game he ever played in was actually not in Green Bay. It was in Buffalo during a blizzard when he was with the Patriots and the temperature was minus-5 by the end of the game.

“That sucked,” he said. “You couldn’t see across the field and you couldn’t get warm. I melted my pants and a knee brace because I was so close to the heater, I didn’t feel it. I was like, ‘What the (bleep) was that?’ I looked down and I’m smoking.”

Oh, what I’d give for a heater that hot right about now!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Regular season and post season accomplishements.

1. Eagles.................Started Cold as ICE.....they finished strong the last games of the season at 8-8

2. Giants.................Started 0-2 Cold as ICE...they managed to win 9 straight road games.........finished strong

3. Chargers...........Started 1-3 cold as ICE...they managed to win in the worst AFC conference team in the NFL, but still finished strong.

4. Vikings..............Started 2-5 cold as ICE...they managed to get hot just before they play the Giants but then got Cold once again.

5. Bears...............Started 3-5 Cold as ICE and you guys still couldn't beat the Bears.

6. Redskins..............Started Average. Redskins was not consistent, wining and losing Avery week. No one new which Reds king was going to show up that week. Green Bay 17 Redskins 14 by 3 points only.

7. Broncos................Started Cold as ICE...............3-4 and you guys got lucky with that bomb play in Overtime.

8. Chief.......................Overrated in the beginning of the year............finished in last play with a 4-16 record......And you guys managed to win by 11 points with the best QB and Receivers in the league. Besides Payton, and Tom.

9. Vikings.......................This is the only game I can give to the Packers although any team can have a bad games. Ask the Vikings in the last meeting with the Giants in the NFC Championship. 41-0 so it?s not surprising that you guys shut out the vickins we did it too. The Giants were in quarterback Daunte Culpepper's face all day long, not allowing him the time to get the ball to their explosive wide receivers. The receiver tandem of Randy Moss and Cris Carter was thought to be unstoppable before Sunday, but neither Pro Bowler was a factor in the contest.

10. Panthers..............ICE COLD coming from a 3 strait loss and then losing for a total of 5 straight just after they played the Packers.

11. Lions.....................Average team..........but inconsistent!!!!

12. Cowboys...............Great team...............Green Bay couldn't handle the Boys..........NO EXCUSED!!!! Brett F. got hurt just before the 2nd half. Brett it's too old to handle the front 7 from Dallas and the Giants are as good as them.

13. Raiders................ICE COLD........4-12 Record overall to EASY!!!

14. Rams...................Don't even ask.........They started at 0-8 and Finished at 3-14 OUCH!!!!

15. Bears...................You guys lost against them AGAIN !!!!!

16. Lions............we already said enough!!!!

17. Seattle...........Their Defense and Offense don't even reach the 18th place in the NFL. Seattle made your running back look like L.T.

18. Giants.........................Packers, fan don't get over your head. You guys like to talk about records and accomplishment but I don't see howGreen Bay is so great after all the team you guys played over the course of the season were very bad. I believe your team better respect the Giants, because after all we are playing better than any of the team that I mentioned.

GO GIANTS !!!!1

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:04 pm

Bow to Joba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WGcbTFKCuI

ht: RiverAveblues blog

Chamberlain strikes out 13 Hurricanes

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Joba Chamberlain struck out 13 while outdueling first-round draft pick Cesar Carrillo, and Nebraska beat Miami 3-1 Friday in the opener of their NCAA super regional.

Daniel Bruce hit a tiebreaking home run in the fifth inning for the Cornhuskers (55-13). Third-seeded Nebraska needs one win to wrap up the best-of-three series and advance to the College World Series -- 50 miles away in Omaha -- for the third time in five years.

If the Hurricanes (41-18-1) win Saturday, the teams will play a deciding game on Sunday.

Chamberlain (9-2) left after giving up a leadoff single to Paco Figueroa in the ninth inning, and Brett Jensen finished for his 14th save.

Chamberlain's only problem came in the fifth, when he got a cramp in his right calf. He drank a cup of water on the mound and did some stretching, then caught Tomas Diaz looking at strike three to highlight a stretch that saw him strike out five of six Miami batters.

Carrillo (13-3), the Atlantic Coast Conference pitcher of the year and the San Diego Padres' top pick in this week's draft, gave up six hits in a complete game. He struck out seven.

Figueroa's fifth homer of the season gave Miami a 1-0 lead in the fourth. Joe Simokaitis scored the tying run in the bottom half, and Bruce hit his fifth homer in the next inning. Simokaitis made it 3-1 with an RBI single in the eighth.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Figures have been exchanged.

The Yankees offered Chein-Ming Wang $4M and he asked for $4.6M. That should be easily resolved.

The Yankees offered Robinson Cano $3.2M and he asked for $4.55M, which is a much larger gap.

The Yankees offered Brian Bruney $640,000 and he asked for $845,000. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yankees take this one into arbitration despite the peanuts involved.

Wilson Betemit and the Yankees agreed to terms on a one year, $1.165 M contract.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:09 pm

He's got to go

This space has advised for some time now -- read my blog, please! -- that the Twins should hold on to Johan Santana. With underwhelming offers, why shouldn't the Twins make a very feasible run at the playoffs, then let Santana leave after the season and pick up a couple of compensatory amateur draft picks?

A veteran executive plugged into the Twins' thinking, however, said, "That ain't happening." And he predicted, furthermore, that Minnesota will unload Santana before the start of spring training.

The logic: "First of all, if Santana comes to camp with the Twins, the trade question will be hanging over him every day. Second of all, once camp starts, the Yankees and Red Sox will be less willing to give up pieces from their major-league roster [such as Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Jacoby Ellsbury and Jon Lester].

"Third of all, let's say we get to July 31. Why would Santana, with two months to go before free agency, sign a long-term deal and not open up a bidding war?"

Fair points, all. Although I do think that if the Twins are waiting for Hank Steinbrenner to bend, that is a faulty strategy.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spken0120,0,1123522.column?coll=ny-uspolitics-headlines

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:32 am

Gennaro’s analysis was very interesting and very strong. That type of straight forward cost benefit analysis, rational way to look at this situation (the way large businesses tend to make good decisions) and I’d guess this is the way Cash and Hal have approached it.

That said Gennaro made a very important assumption that would likely not hold.

He assumes in his analysis that if Hughes and Melky were to be traded they would be replaced through free agent acquisition. Based on that assumption he estimates that replacing hughes would cost $84 million (over the next 6 years) and replacing Melky an additional $10 million.

In his analysis its this combined replacement by free agents that makes Santana’s acquisition not financially rational. While free agent replacement is one possible scenario, its much more likely that the yankees would not replace Hughes through free agency. In fact, they would most likely replace him with another young, cost controlled arm from the system given their depth (Kennedy, Horne, Sanchez, etc.) Same thing for melky - the next two years Damon and Damon/ Gardner would play center and afterwards possibly Jackson. They may not replace him through free agency.

Gennaro’s analysis wasn’t “wrong” for making these assumptions. He probably left these factors out to not complicate his analysis. A more complete picture of Santana’s value proposition to the yankees would have been given by doing a sensitivity analysis that accounted for multiple possible situations how the players are replaced..

What his analysis also strongly implies is that the deal really makes absolutely no sense if Hughes and Kennedy were included - the hit on losing both those players as the twins have demanded would be enormous.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2