Pats vs Giants

Go down

Pats vs Giants

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:42 am

Super showdown is déjà vu all over again
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story;jsessionid=FC7BABBB2C4154EFEEA8AB304F97B733?id=09000d5d80623879&template=with-video&confirm=true

Posted: 4 hours 13 minutes ago
Super showdown is déjà vu all over again

The Week 17 matchup between the Patriots and Giants ended with a New England victory, but it earned New York the momentum it needed for three straight road playoff wins and a Super Bowl XLII berth.

When the New England Patriots and New York Giants last met, little did anyone know that that would serve as a preview for Super Bowl XLII.

Looking back, the Dec. 29 regular-season finale at Giants Stadium -- drawing unprecedented coverage from three television networks -- was the perfect precursor for the "real" big game.

The Giants gave the Patriots all they could handle, nearly denying them the chance to finish the regular season as the NFL's only 16-0 team. But in the end, the Patriots found a way to prevail, 38-35.
Flashback: Patriots 38, Giants 35

New York came close to derailing New England's perfect season in the final week of the regular season. Now, the Giants get another shot at the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl.

» Game Center: Check out all the stats
» Highlights: Relive the Patriots' Week 17 win
» Recap: Record-setting game for New England
» Play-by-Play: Get the detailed rundown

NFL Replay will re-air the Patriots' 38-35 win over the Giants on Friday, Feb. 1 at 9 p.m. ET.

» Video clips from NFL Replay

Fans, want to get NFL Network? Cable operators, want to carry NFL Network? Click here for more information.

Eli Manning, the Giants' much-maligned quarterback, had a breakout performance that provided momentum that carried into the postseason. He was 22-for-32 for 251 yards and four touchdowns while throwing only one interception. Manning has not been intercepted since.

Here's an early look at the Patriots-Giants rematch in Super Bowl XLII:
Five keys for the Patriots

» 1. Get Tom Brady back to his big-play form: Brady struggled in the AFC Championship Game, hardly resembling the quarterback who threw for an NFL-record 50 touchdown passes during the regular season. He threw three interceptions against San Diego and was unable to make any big throws. He wound up relying heavily on running back Kevin Faulk, who caught a game-high eight passes. He also was able to find his slot receiver, Wes Welker, but only connected once with his game-breaking target, Randy Moss.

» 2. Run the ball effectively: Laurence Maroney has come on as a major force in the postseason. He must continue to have that sort of impact in the Super Bowl in order to help slow down the Giants' pass rush and give the Patriots' offense some balance. The most under-appreciated aspect of the offense is their rushing attack, which ranked 13th in the NFL. Maroney has a lot of his success running up the middle, behind center Dan Koppen and guards Logan Mankins and Russ Hochstein.

» 3. Effectively use play-action against the Giants' aggressive defensive front: Most everything that the Patriots do on offense begins with Brady using play-fakes and attacking with short and intermediate passes. The quicker he gets the ball out -- especially on sideline routes -- the better his chances of keeping the chains moving and getting into a rhythm. Brady is one of the very best quarterbacks in the league at reading the blitz, and quickly checking to hot routes. The Patriots will spread the field with four- and five-receiver sets and let Brady locate mismatches.

» 4. Mix up fronts and coverages: When facing Bill Belichick, the game's foremost defensive mastermind, a quarterback can expect to see a wide variety of fronts and blitzes along with a mixture of coverages. That should be case against young Eli Manning, making his first Super Bowl appearance. Manning should count on some pass-rushing configurations that he has never seen before and coverages that will cause him to hold the ball and/or take a sack, make a poor pass under duress, or bait him into a bad throw.

» 5. Play stout against the run: The Patriots did an excellent job of shutting down Jacksonville's rushing attack, one of the best in the NFL, in their divisional-round victory over the Jaguars. They will need to perform equally well against the Giants' rushing duo of Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw. The Pats' run-stopping ability begins with nose tackle Vince Wilfork using his considerable lower-body strength and leverage to clog the middle and runners to bounce outside to Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas. New England's aging inside linebackers, 39-year-old Junior Seau and 34-year-old Tedy Bruschi, count on Wilfork to keep them free of blockers.
Five keys for the Giants

» 1. Manning must continue to avoid mistakes: He had a solid performance in the overtime win against Green Bay in Sunday's NFC Championship Game. He didn't throw for any scores, but he also didn't have any turnovers. Manning will have to play even better against the Patriots, who are capable of putting plenty of points on the board. With time in the pocket and the room to set his feet, Manning is an extremely accurate passer. Throw in strong running from Jacobs and Bradshaw, and you have a quarterback who can be as dangerous as any in the league ... including his big brother, Peyton. However, when defenses attack him up the middle, Manning can get into trouble and start making the sort of blunders that caused him to draw plenty of criticism during his four NFL seasons.

» 2. Continue to pound the ball on the ground: At 265 pounds, Jacobs is a big, powerful back -- exactly the type that can present problems to the Pats' defense, which hasn't always been up to the challenge of handling a physical offense. Thanks to the power running of Jacobs, the exceptional speed of Bradshaw, and blocking by an underrated offensive line, the Giants' ground game has become a force through the latter part of the season and playoffs.

» 3. Get big plays from top receivers Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer: Burress, who caught 11 passes for 154 yards in the NFC Championship Game, has been bothered all season by a sore ankle that has limited or eliminated his practice time. Yet, on game day, Burress is ready to complete and has done a good job providing Manning with a playmaker. When opponents try to force Burress to the middle of the field off his release, he fights his way to the outside and then uses his 6-5 frame to win battles for the ball. Burress is always Manning's first option in the red zone, especially with injured tight end Jeremy Shockey out of the lineup. With his height and leaping ability, Burress creates a big mismatch against most defensive backs and will win most jump balls. Toomer, a 12th-year veteran, has emerged as a game-breaking force in the postseason. He seems to have overcome his case of the drops, although he did have two in Sunday's NFC title game, and has become a good third-down option against man-to-man coverage.

» 4. Put plenty of heat on Brady: The Giants' defensive specialty is bringing pressure, as evidenced by their league-leading 53 sacks. Besides the pass-rushing prowess of his front four, coordinator Steve Spagnuolo also loves to make use of fire-zone blitzes. Most opponents struggle to keep ends Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora out of the backfield. That task becomes even more difficult when follow end Justin Tuck lines up inside and a linebacker or safety comes off the edge.

» 5. Hold up well in the secondary: The Giants need their defensive backs to come up as big as they did in the conference title game, during which they twice intercepted Brett Favre. Despite their outstanding pass rush, the Giants have had problems in their secondary. During the regular season, they allowed 11 pass plays of 40-plus yards (fourth-most in the league) and 47 plays of 20-plus yards (eighth-most).

Have a question for Vic on anything NFL related? Don't just sit there -- send it to AskVic@nfl.com, and the best questions will be answered throughout the season right here on NFL.com!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pats vs Giants

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:49 am

How can the Twins deal with the Mets?
Monday, January 21st, 2008

http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/neal/

The Twins continue to be patient in their attempt to trade two-time Cy Young winner Johan Santana. But you wonder how much longer can they wait with pitchers and catchers set to report to spring training in less than a month.

The Red Sox, Mets and Yankees remain interested - yes, I mentioned the Yanks because no one believes they are out of it until Santana changes uniforms.

Today, I feel like trying to swing a deal with the Mets, who need Santana the most. I’ve spent the past few days throwing out a trade scenario to people with knowledge of negotiations.

The Mets are trying to nab Santana with a package of prospects because they can’t afford to trade one of their established major leaguers. They have offered center fielder Carlos Gomez, and three pitchers: Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Phil Humber.

This package lacks major league ready players. According to scouts, Gomez has a chance to be a Alex Rios-type player if he hits - which is a big question mark. Guerra is a top prospect but is still a couple years away. Mulvey can be a middle of the rotation starter. Humber is considered a No. 4 or 5 starter.

But the Twins are willing to take a prospect-laden package if super prospect Fernando Martinez is added to the deal. The Mets are against this deal because it would clean out their farm system.

How do you break the deadlock?

One MLB scout I spoke with Sunday feels that the Twins should throw a prospect into the deal to get the Mets to add Martinez. The question is what caliber of prospect would the Mets want in return. The Twins have several pitching prospects and a few position players to choose from.

Here’s my suggestion: Tell the Mets to keep Gomez (since there are questions about his ceiling) but add Martinez, then either sign a free agent to start in center this year (Kenny Lofton? Corey Patterson?) or trade for Coco Crisp.

I admit there are a couple issues with my approach. One, are you willing to accept a deal for Santana that doesn’t return someone ready to step into the lineup?

It also suggests that I don’t think the Twins are contenders next season because I’m looking for a stop-gap center fielder until Denard Span steps up or Ben Revere or Joe Benson develop. And I really do wonder how the Twins can compete next season when Scott Baker is the No. 1 starter, when no one knows how much rust Francisco Liriano will have to knock off and when Detroit, Chicago and Cleveland look formidable on paper.

Are Twins fans O.K. with a Santana-for-prospects deal? It’s an interesting question. The Twins won’t get fair talent back because of Santana’s contract demands. They have to make the best deal they can. Do you like what the Mets are offering versus one of the packages the Red Sox are willing to offer or a Phillip Hughes-Melky Cabrera led package from the Yankees (once they get back in this thing)?

Chew on that, and I’ll leave you with one more thought:

Being a Bears fan, any day the Packers lose is a good day

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How do Giants stop Tom Brady and their offense?

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:01 am

How do Giants stop Tom Brady and their offense? How do Giants stop quick slant and screens plays that Brady throw to Wes Welker? Last time Giants play Patriots, Ben Watson, Randy Moss and Wes Welker have a great game against Giants defense.

After watching Brady's struggling against Chargers Defense and throwing 3 interception. I don't think He will have another bad game. So I think Giants Offense needs to step-up and have to match Patriots.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:27 am

Monday Mendozas

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob

posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: MLB

• Over at River Ave. Blues, Ben K. points out that Robinson Cano has a bright future, and I'm certainly not going to argue (I can't, considering that just last week I anointed Cano the best second baseman of the next five years). But Ben concludes by arguing that the Yankees' arbitration figure should have been higher than $3.2 million, lest they annoy their young star. Which is silly. Cano and his agent know how this game is played, and everyone will be smiling within a few moments after everything is settled.

• Nice interview with John Sayles, who directed "Eight Men Out" and once wrote a novel about a barnstorming softball team. I've been a fan of Sayles' movies for a long time. When he was finished filming "Eight Men Out," I sent him a letter asking if there were any props left over (yes, I was hoping he'd reward my fawning letter with a gift). Sayles responded with a gracious note, explaining that all the uniforms and such had been sold to help finance production. He did enclose a baseball card featuring himself. (I'm still a fan, and if I could save only 25 American movies, "Lone Star" would be among them).

• ShysterBall notes that John McHale -- like every other significant figure associated primarily with the Montreal Expos -- might as well never have existed. At least according to the Washington Nationals.

• Yet another outstanding George Vecsey column about baseball's drug problem.

• You think you know minor league prospects? Minor league pitcher Randy Newsom offers the chance to invest in young players. I'm not going to link to his company's Web site because there's not much information available unless you register, but Newsom talks about it here.

• I'm tardy with this one, but everything Voros McCracken wrote about the Rays last week is, I suspect, still true this week.

• Via Out of Left Field, longtime BBWAA member Stephen Brunt explains why he declined his Hall of Fame ballot this last time around.

• Has Ron Gardenhire gone off the deep end? With the news that Michael Cuddyer might be the Twins' new center fielder, Twinkie Town thinks maybe he has.

• Basic stuff for many of you, I'm sure, but if you're late to the sabermetrics party, I recommend Brock for Broglio's 5 Pitching Statistics You Can't Afford to Ignore Anymore (with a hat tip to BallHype).

• The only thing that's missing from John Beamer's review of the Andy Marte-Edgar Renteria deal is the why; as in, why did so many analysts -- including me, I'm sure -- get it so wrong? According to all the smart guys, the Braves got the short end of the deal ... but of course, they wound up with the long end. And by quite a healthy margin. I enjoy reading after-action reports like this, but they're even more valuable when they teach us something other than that ballplayers are humans, too.

• Weird $%@&# of the Week: Tom Cruise on Scientology. (Disclaimer: I do realize that Cruise's zeal is not fundamentally weirder than that of billions of others around the world; it's just fun watching someone express his zeal with the tricks of an accomplished actor. At great length.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 pm

Home > Football recruiting > Archives > 2008 > January > 20 > Entry
E-mail Print Reprints
Facebook Digg DEL.ICIO.US Newsvine Reddit
Avery visits Georgia; Uzzi tours Tech

By Jeff Hood

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 01/20/08

A professional baseball career continues to be a distinct possibility for Georgia-bound running back Xavier Avery of Cedar Grove.

Avery’s official visit to Georgia this weekend was cut short after he departed Athens late Saturday to be in Suwanee on Sunday for an invitation-only event at Chipper Jones’ 10th Inning Baseball Academy.

“Xavier had a good visit,” Avery’s father, Theophilus Griffin Jr. said Sunday evening. “We went to Athens on Friday and I dropped him off at [Georgia coach] Mark Richt’s house. They were having a meeting [with the recruits visiting Georgia].

“Then they went to the Arkansas basketball game on Saturday.”

Pro baseball aside, Avery may not be a lock to sign with Georgia on Feb. 6. Schools such as Oklahoma and Stanford continue to court Avery.

“[Oklahoma coach] Bob Stoops was at Xavier’s school on Friday to see his teammate, Josh Jarboe [who has committed to the Sooners],” Griffin said. “Stoops was putting some pressure on [Xavier] on Friday.

“And Stanford has indicated he could start much quicker for them because they don’t have much speed in the secondary.”

But Avery, who is scheduled to play football and baseball at Georgia if he signs with the Dogs next month, may have put on a set of shoulder pads and football helmet for the final time.

Griffin hinted that his son will be a lock to turn pro if he is a first or early second round pick in June’s major league baseball draft.

“And I kind of get the feeling that baseball is going to draft him high,” Griffin said. “Scouts from the Phillies, Padres, Pirates, Dodgers, Yankees and Royals have all come to our house.”

Uzzi meet new Tech coach Paul Johnson

Fresh off a visit to Alabama, Chamblee offensive lineman Omoregie Uzzi stayed closer to home this weekend by taking an official visit to Georgia Tech.

“I liked it a lot,” said Uzzi, who will visit Virginia on Jan. 25. “I got to meet coach [Paul] Johnson. He’s a good guy. I could see myself playing there for him.”

Uzzi said he hopes to announce his college choice following his trip to Charlottesville next weekend.

In the interim, Uzzi claims there is no front-runner between Alabama, Georgia Tech and Virginia.

“They’re all even,” he said.

Reeves to sign with Troy

Stone Mountain receiver Charles Reeves Jr. has committed to Troy.

“I like the family atmosphere at Troy and the fact they try to make big plays,” said Reeves, who was also considering Tennessee. “The campus is nice and they just received new equipment for what I’m trying to major in, which is music production.”

Reeves, who caught 43 passes for 736 yards and three touchdowns in nine games during his senior season, is expected to be part of Troy’s offense as a freshman.

“I will play at receiver as a freshman and will returns punts and kickoffs,” said Reeves, who will wear jersey No. 3 this fall.

Kopacka commits to Air Force

Blessed Trinity tight end Ben Kopacka has elected to play college football for the Air Force Academy.

“When I went out there to visit, I was considering an offer from Samford,” Kopacka said. “I also had offers from Navy and Army. I had said from the beginning that I’d check out one of them.

“I got out there to Colorado Springs and was blown away. Air Force has a great coaching staff. And I really think in the next few years that program is going somewhere, and I want to be part of that.”

More commitments as Feb. 6 signing day approaches

Stockbridge quarterback Tyler Bass committed to Maryland over the weekend… Chattahoochee defensive tackle Justin Smith has apparently withdrawn his commitment to Arkansas and will follow former Razorbacks coach Houston Nutt to Ole Miss…Grady linebacker Darryl Farley intends to sign with Tulane…Austin Wilson, a tight end for Mill Creek, has committed to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga…Wesleyan running back Derren Evans intends to sign a letter of intent with Presbyterian College.
Comments

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Cyberspace exploration

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=gammons_peter

posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 | Print Entry
filed under: MLB

Nevis, nestled in the Caribbean, is a near-perfect place to disappear a month before spring training. The population is the same as it was when Alexander Hamilton was born there in 1755, which is a good thing.

There are four times as many monkeys as people, and you don't have to read or hear the same things about Roger Clemens every day, at least until he's bound to the truth. Also good. There's no MSNBC, which means no "Morning Joe," which is not good.

It is against the law to curse in public. Very good. There was a guy complaining about not liking Tom Brady, which means misanthropy lives everywhere, but even if there are people who can complain about the best and the brightest, there wasn't a tabloid story on Britney or Lindsay to be found, or a Bob's Discount Furniture commercial. Praise the Lord.

Because of the climate, sheep have no wool, so you learn that you can tell a goat from a lamb because goats have their tails up, lambs have their tails down. Hence, it is the perfect place to read David Halberstam's epic "The Coldest Winter," since the Korean War is like a black hole few of us understood until the greatest journalist who ever lived completed his 30-year work. Ronald Brownstein's "The Second Civil War" is a must-read, as is Fay Vincent's wonderful "I Would Have Played For Nothing," child of Lawrence Ritter's "The Glory of Their Times."

Near the end of my stay, a gentleman walked by and said, "Do you have to work on vacation?" He was staring at The Hardball Times Annual 2008 as if it were a business textbook. No need to answer.

One of the aspects that Brownstein examines in his study is how hyperpartisanism has left government polarized and frozen. While Democrats love to complain about the hyper-right, the liberal blogs like The Daily Kos have effectively shouted down the conciliatory nature of the DLC, which has worked so hard to try to make government work. Internet politics have, in many ways, become more important than the grand traditions of the newsweeklies, face time on MSNBC and Fox News or endorsements from the big daily newspapers.

So Internet politics have simply mirrored the world we now know as Internet sports. Sure, some of us old-timers still love a stack of newspapers draped across the front of the StairMaster, or still enjoy sitting at Peet's with a huge cup of coffee and The New York Times, Post and Daily News. But the reality is that while I try not to miss any of those newspapers, they're normally read on the Internet before 7 a.m., and there are sites that I never miss: Buster Olney's blog on ESPN.com; David Pinto's Baseball Musings; Tim Dierkes' MLBTradeRumors.com; Baseball Prospectus (hey, Will Carroll's "Under The Knife" remains the one column that cannot be missed); The Hardball Times; Baseball America; and, because I am from New England and like to be caught up, the Boston Sports Media Watch. I do not want any psychologist to know how many times a day I go to ESPN.com, Baseball Musings or MLBTradeRumors.com to check updates. And, sure, I never miss Curt Schilling.

I make no bones about my strong feelings about the human element. Pure numbers cannot do justice to character and drive and energy. They cannot measure the impact Robin Yount had on teamates when he ran down the first-base line at the same breakneck speed (one scout had nearly 90 Yount games in a six- or seven-year period and claimed he never got Yount faster than 3.9 seconds, or slower than 4.0). Mariano Rivera, Josh Beckett and David Wright are what they are because of who they are.

Stat lines cannot quantify work habits, the ability to learn, emotional stability, etc., but they are important guidelines by which to remind us that, in the end, performance counts.

There are bloggers and sites that savage those in the media who do interact with players and try to spend time understanding their motivations. We don't have to agree. Joe Sheehan wrote a brilliant piece off a discussion we had about Jack Morris, and while I respect his opinion and am still in awe of his research, I still remember what it was like being around those Tigers, Twins and Blue Jays teams when Morris took the ball and the responsibilities, as opposed to the six-inning wonders who looked into their dugouts. I still believe that Morris was the best of his era, that closing two World Series stands for something and that Game 7 in 1991 defined how he transcended the human elements that so alter the sport. That doesn't make Sheehan wrong.

Bill James is trying to define clutch, what made George Brett so different, or sets David Ortiz, when healthy, apart in swagger and presence. You can present me with 4,765 pages of anti-Derek Jeter material; it won't work, I watch him too much.

But those are parts of a greater landscape of arguments. The fact is that we all know more about baseball because of the proliferation of creative thought. Run through Baseball Think Factory, The Baseball Analysts, Squawking Baseball, Sabernomics, Beyond the Box Score, Dan Agonistes, John Sickels' minorleagueball.com. For everything, Deadspin.

Unfortunately, time keeps most of us from getting to those sites specific to teams. It's amazing how many club officials read USS Mariner (Seattle), Fire Brand of the American League (Boston), Ducksnorts (San Diego), Athletics Nation (Oakland), Viva El Birdos (St. Louis), Lone Star Ball (Texas), River Ave. Blues (Yankees), MetsBlog.com, FishStripes (Florida), Dodger Thoughts, Bronx Banter (great writing), The LoHud Yankees Blog, Reds Reporter (Cincinnati), Bleed Cubbie Blue, Brew Crew Ball (Milwaukee) and more.

And you need an update on steroids? Try Baseball's Steroid Era (an informative blog).

There are probably hundreds of sites I have missed. If so, hopefully, they'll run by my laptop. But as we begin the 2008 season, our information, understanding and thought processes have been dramatically altered from the days when a Sunday newspaper notes column seemed significant. And, as fans, we are so much better off for all the work that is being done.

"The Coldest Winter" is not homework. Neither is "The Second Civil War."

Or The Hardball Times Annual. It's what we enjoy.

Thanks.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:20 pm

How do Giants stop Tom Brady and their offense? Patriots have tough and physical running back Maroney. How do Giants stop quick slant and screens plays that Brady throw to Wes Welker? Last time Giants play Patriots, Ben Watson, Randy Moss and Wes Welker have a great game against Giants defense.

After watching Brady's struggling against Chargers Defense and throwing 3 interception. I don't think He will have another bad game. So I think Giants Offense needs to step-up and have to match Patriots.

How do Giants adjust Patriots defense facing them for a second time?

Patriots backup running back Kevin Faulk so dangerous and keep making the plays he has produced this postseason.

When the Chargers took away Tom Brady's favorite receiving options, diminutive Faulk always made a clutch catch to keep the chains moving. He finished with eight receptions for 82 yards, and his critical, third-down catch late in the fourth quarter helped New England put the game away.

In short, Faulk can kill an opponent with his open-field running ability and sure hands.

Bellick comments on Giants by SI.cin

Belichick defends Seymour's play
Pats coach 'surprised' by allegations that DE is dirty

Chargers Centers Nick Hardwick also accused Seymour of stomping on feet, slapping heads and punching people in the back.

"He's cheap and dirty, and the head man just let him get away with it the whole time," Hardwick said.

"We had a great game with them last month. Looks like they've done nothing but get better," Belichick said. "Unfortunately, it counts for a road game for them, 'cause we're the home team."

Having played recently, both coaching staffs have the benefit of having their game tapes organized already.

"It makes it go a lot faster. If it had been Green Bay, we would have spent a lot of time getting the material ready," Belichick said. "It's not an advantage. Both teams will be working with the same information."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Quote:
With spring training less than a month away and the Minnesota Twins still holding the rights to ace pitcher Johan Santana, Twins general manager Bill Smith tried to avoid adding any fuel to the fire of gossip about where Santana will ultimately pitch in 2008.

Smith, reached by phone, said Monday afternoon: "I'd like to just lay low on that."

Indications are that things have remained relatively stagnant in trade talks on Santana, but that the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox all retain some interest in the lefthander.

Smith would not comment on how motivated the Twins are to move Santana. Without a contract extension -- and the Twins do not believe they can offer enough money to convince Santana to sign a longterm deal -- he will become a free agent after the season. Most people around the game believe the Twins will ultimately trade Santana, rather than risk his walking and their gaining nothing more than draft picks in return.

Smith said only: "We obviously haven't done a deal."

~Newsday

I think he's getting dealt this week. Smith is being very quiet and coy in the statement.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:50 pm

Johan Santana: Red Sox or Yankees?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/

by Robert Taft (Contributor) 9 comments Filed Under: MLB, AL East, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Johan Santana, American League

I think the best choice for Santana would be the Red Sox. The Red Sox have won two World Series in four years. The Yankees, none.

If Santana should go to the Yankees it would be because of all that money and the young prospects. If the Red Sox can win World Series without Johan, think about it. What could they do with Johan?

The Yankees are thinking of trading Melky and young pitcher Phil Hughes. The Red Sox have a couple possibilites: Lester and Ellsbery, or Lester and Crisp and minor leager Jed Lowrie. Ellsbery is better than Crisp in every catagory except defense. The Sox are a big hitting team, and with a big outfield and not the greatest outfielders—Manny and Drew—Coco would be a nice fit.

If they do keep Crisp, they should get a better shortstop or a better catcher. Tek is getting old and Mirabelli isn't the greatest hitter. If they do decide to keep Ellsbery then at least get a decent rightfielder.

Drew did pretty good in the begging but is not a type of outfielder for the team. Austin Kerns would be a nice fit in the outfield (a .995 fielding pct.) but lacks the hitting needed for the Red Sox (.266, 16 homers).

The only choice for the Yankees is Melky and Hughes. The Yanks would be giving up on their center fielder and a real good pitcher. Johnny Damon isn't what he was with the Sox years ago and a DH would be a real possibility for the team. Maybe left field if it wasn't for the power hitting Shelly Duncan.

Maybe the Red Sox can finally be the best team in baseball with all the money instead of the Yankees.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:51 pm

"Maybe the Red Sox can finally be the best team in baseball with all the money instead of the Yankees."

I don't understan this statement. When have the Yankees ever been the best team in baseball with all the money? The last time they won a WS, they were spending under $100m, since they went twice as much as everyone else they have not won. The best team in baseball right now are the Red Sox. Did you have the statement backwards??

Comments

Reply to this Comment by Ben
from about 22 hours ago

The idea that the question of "who won the series" in the past 4 years are somehow predictive regarding the future success of the REd Sox and Yankees is exceptionally silly. Shelly Duncan is not an every day "power hitter".
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 21 hours ago

Why do you hate the Mets?
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 13 hours ago

The Mets are the favorites to get Santana. You would have been better off writing an article called: President: Kucenik or Romney?
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 13 hours ago

"Maybe the Red Sox can finally be the best team in baseball with all the money instead of the Yankees."

I don't understan this statement. When have the Yankees ever been the best team in baseball with all the money? The last time they won a WS, they were spending under $100m, since they went twice as much as everyone else they have not won. The best team in baseball right now are the Red Sox. Did you have the statement backwards??
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 11 hours ago

The Yankees almost best the Red Sox last year wit crap pitching. If it wasn't for their pathetic start, they would have. And they beat the Sox in the head to head, which is all that really matters. Even with Santana, the Red Sox have no chance of beating the Yankees.
by fred
from about 8 hours ago

First of all, this blog reads like an 8th grader wrote it.

Secondly -- uh... "Even with Santana, the Red Sox have no chance of beating the Yankees."

What delusional person wrote that?? If you are a Yankee fan (gee think?) - your team is now a YEAR OLDER at every position that you didn't do it with last year or the year before. Or year before. What in God's great name makes you think that they are going to do it in 2008?

Silly. Silly Upset Yankee fans. How does it feel? Sucks, huh.
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 10 hours ago

"And they beat the Sox in the head to head, which is all that really matters. " Huh silly me. I thought winning the WS was all that really matters. How things have changed for yank fans.
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 10 hours ago

I can't believe I'm adding to this: Ellsbury, not Ellsbery.

Sox do not have a big outfield: Fenway left field is by far the smallest in the league (Manny). Fenway right field is large, but only in the back corner. Fenway center is deep, but narrow. At best, it's a slightly above average outfield. At worst it's a smaller than average outfield. Someone breakout the square-footage, please.

"The Sox are a big hitting team:" Yankees had better offensive numbers than the Sox last year. Sox strength comes from their starting pitching (Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling) and their bullpen (Papelbon, Okajima)

Coco would be a nice fit: Coco looks like a nice fit until you have a guy like Ellsbury hanging around. You probably can't (shouldn't) keep them both and Crisp is the obvious choice to get shipped out of town because he's older, more expensive and doesn't have the potential of Ellsubry. If you use one of them to turn Lester into Santana - that's pretty much a done deal from the Sox side of the house. (Sidenote: Assuming you don't have to mortgage the rest of the farm team.)

I agree with the basic premise of the article - if the Sox can win the World Series without Santana, they'll be head and shoulders above the rest of the league with him. However, your points are so terribly backed up, it makes this article a joke. Also, you can't talk about Santana without at least mentioning the front running Mets.

Finally, the question you seek to answer in the first line is: Which team is better for Santana? I would argue that the best team for Santana would be the team that:

1) Pays him the most money (Mets or Yankees)
2) Respects him the most - in terms of true ace power (Mets or Yankees)
3) Gives him the best atmosphere to perform (Could be any of them)
4) Gives him the best chance to shine in a large market (any of them)
5) Gets him to a World Series (Sox)

You're only attacking the bottom point - and many would argue that any of the three teams with Santana are looking good for the World Series. It really depends on what Santana wants. If Santana doesn't mind potentially playing second fiddle to Beckett (or Dice-K) then the Sox are a good fit. If he wants to be treated as a true ace, stopper-type pitcher, #1 in the rotation for sure - go to the Yankees or the Mets.

Ugh, this was way too long.
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 8 hours ago

I'm sure the Red Sox are in full agreement that the head-to-head games are more important than the trophy they own for being World Champs. Tampa Bay typically makes arguments like that. Yankees have come a long way from being champs to having fans want to beat the good teams in the regular season.

And which pitchers did the Yankees get that they didn't have last year? Same crap pitchers a year older? Super!
Reply to this Comment by Anonymous from about 2 hours ago

HE would be a better fit with The YANKEES! Fenway has the green monstor and when Johan gets older his strike outs will get lower and his fly balls will get higher, so if he goes to the redsoxs he wouldnt do good. HIs best fit will be the yankees.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:52 pm

Deals for Johan Santana still in holding pattern

BY KAT O'BRIEN | kat.obrien@newsday.com

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spjohan0122,0,3737869.story

With spring training less than a month away and the Minnesota Twins still holding the rights to ace pitcher Johan Santana, Twins general manager Bill Smith tried to avoid adding any fuel to the fire of gossip about where Santana will ultimately pitch in 2008.

Smith, reached by phone, said Monday afternoon: "I'd like to just lay low on that."

Indications are that things have remained relatively stagnant in trade talks on Santana, but that the Yankees, Mets and Red Sox all retain some interest in the lefthander.

Smith would not comment on how motivated the Twins are to move Santana. Without a contract extension -- and the Twins do not believe they can offer enough money to convince Santana to sign a longterm deal -- he will become a free agent after the season. Most people around the game believe the Twins will ultimately trade Santana, rather than risk his walking and their gaining nothing more than draft picks in return.

Smith said only: "We obviously haven't done a deal."

Some also believe hanging onto Santana would be a risk because he has a full no-trade clause. The closer his free agency looms, conventional wisdom goes, the less likely he would be to waive the no-trade clause and sign an extension with a new team. Without an extension, no team will offer the value the Twins are looking for.

As for whether Santana or his agent, Peter Greenberg, have given the Twins any kind of deadline, Smith said: "I don't want to get too deep into that, but I will say that Johan and his agent have been phenomenal through this whole process. It's been a long process for everybody: the fans, the team, the city, the media, Johan. And Johan and his agent have been really phenomenal."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Well, in my defense, I did say arguably.

I can certainly understand those who would take Pujols first, and the Yankees might prefer him, as well.

I give Teixeira the edge for a couple of reasons:

#1 - At least in my opinion, he's a better defensive player. Not that Pujols isn't good, but having seen them both, I believe Tex is better.

#2 - Teixeira is a switch hitter, which can only help you in the New Yankee Stadium, which is supposed to have dimensions that mirror the current Yankee Stadium.

At the end of the day, if you bought me a beer, I'd let you pick first and happily take whomever was left.

Not to mention that Pujols won't be available. And I can say without fear of contradiction that if the Yankees did sign Mark Teixeira, they would have hands down the best first baseman in the American League.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:05 pm

How do Giants stop Tom Brady and their offense? Patriots have tough and physical running back Maroney. How do Giants stop quick slant and screens plays that Brady throw to Wes Welker? Last time Giants play Patriots, Ben Watson, Randy Moss and Wes Welker have a great game against Giants defense. I think Bill Bellichick will shutdown Plaxico and Jacobs.

Patriots backup running back Kevin Faulk so dangerous and keep making the plays he has produced this postseason.

When the Chargers took away Tom Brady's favorite receiving options, diminutive Faulk always made a clutch catch to keep the chains moving. He finished with eight receptions for 82 yards, and his critical, third-down catch late in the fourth quarter helped New England put the game away.

In short, Faulk can kill an opponent with his open-field running ability and sure hands.

Bellick comments on Giants by SI.com

Chargers Centers Nick Hardwick also accused Seymour of stomping on feet, slapping heads and punching people in the back.

"He's cheap and dirty, and the head man just let him get away with it the whole time," Hardwick said.

"We had a great game with them last month. Looks like they've done nothing but get better," Belichick said. "Unfortunately, it counts for a road game for them, 'cause we're the home team."

Having played recently, both coaching staffs have the benefit of having their game tapes organized already.

"It makes it go a lot faster. If it had been Green Bay, we would have spent a lot of time getting the material ready," Belichick said. "It's not an advantage. Both teams will be working with the same information."

I think Pats will play a lot more zone and frequently roll coverage rather than Man to Man against Burress.

Pats and Bellicheat have already seen Eli and the Giants a month ago.Do you think the Pats will shut them down the second time around.Also,Belicheat has 2 weeks to game plan and scheme.I'm sure you guys know what he's capable of when given that amount of time to put it everything together.

I'll be shocked if Eli throws for more than 100 yards in this game.I'll be even more shocked if he throws less than 4 interceptions.

Last edited by on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:46 pm; edited 3 times in total

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:03 am

Tom Brady is the best quaterback in all of the nfl. With a top notch offensive line that doesn't give up a lot of of big plays. Try Blitz'ing NY and Tom Brady will tear you apart for 5 touchdown passes. The Patriots defense in the red zone will stone Jacobs, and that has been Ahmad Bradshaw. Eli will fall flat on his back with the Patriots rentless Blitz sceme. Patriots got the better coach, offense, defense, and special teams. Be prepared New York Dec 31 was a fluke

The Patriots defense is so good. They will stone Bradshaw, and Jacobs from getting into the end zone. Ask the San Diego Chargers. With the Patriots ever changing defense it will confuse the Giants offensive line. There is no more complete football team then New england.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm sick of Espn always supporting Boston sports teams . Ny haters and two stoogers from Philly like Steven A.Smith and Mike Miserynelli still have a job in Ny 1050... Please Go guys to Boston , If you gonna support Boston sports team. You criticize Ny Sports teams like Yankees, Giants and Knicks. Mike Miserynelli hates Yankees but He picks Patriots? Who's a hypocrite now? Same thing for Steven A, He loves Celtics, support Patriots , doesn't talk crap about Boston Redsox and doesn't say negative things about them. I wonder why? I blame this on President of Espn. They let employees like Steven A and Mike Miserynelli to continue to love Boston Sports team and says negative about Ny sports team. Where is double standard?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 pm

How do Giants stop Tom Brady and their offense? Patriots have tough and physical running back Maroney. How do Giants stop quick slant and screens plays that Brady throw to Wes Welker? Last time Giants play Patriots, Ben Watson, Randy Moss and Wes Welker have a great game against Giants defense. I think Bill Bellichick will shutdown Plaxico and Jacobs.

Bellick comments on Giants by SI.com

I think Pats will play a lot more zone and frequently roll coverage rather than Man to Man against Burress.

Pats and Bellicheat have already seen Eli and the Giants a month ago.Do you think the Pats will shut them down the second time around.Also,Belicheat has 2 weeks to game plan and scheme.I'm sure you guys know what he's capable of when given that amount of time to put it everything together.

I'll be shocked if Eli throws for more than 100 yards in this game.I'll be even more shocked if he throws less than 4 interceptions.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:31 am

I'm sick of Espn always supporting Boston sports teams . Ny haters and two stoogers from Philly like Steven A.Smith and Mike Miserynelli still have a job in Ny 1050... If you gonna support Boston sports teams. then go to move to Boston. You criticize Ny Sports teams like Yankees, Giants and Knicks. Mike Miserynelli hates Yankees but He picks Patriots? Who's a hypocrite now? Same thing for Steven A, He loves Celtics, support Patriots , doesn't talk crap about Boston Redsox and doesn't say negative things about them. I wonder why? I blame this on President of Espn. They let employees like Steven A and Mike Miserynelli to continue to love Boston Sports team and says negative about Ny sports team. Where is double standard?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:34 am

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

NEW YORK -- The Yankees did finish first in something last year -- spending. While their streak of AL East titles ended at nine, the Yankees wound up with a record payroll of $218.3 million. The World Series champion Boston Red Sox were a distant second at $155.4 million, according to information received by clubs from the commissioner's office. The Los Angeles Dodgers were third at $125.6 million, followed by the New York Mets ($120.9 million), Chicago Cubs ($115.9 million), Seat ...

Read full story

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
0 / 1500
Cancel
Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.

* Comments (166-215)
o
nyyanksrdbest
nyyanksrdbest (3 hours ago)
Report Violation | Ignore User
And as shown in the article, the 2 highest paid NL teams (Mets and Dodgers) both missed the playoffs, if you are someone who is convinced that team w/money always win, then you should look into it more and you will have a change of mind lol
o
nyyanksrdbest
nyyanksrdbest (3 hours ago)

Guys, please don't consider all Yankee fans like they way they are talking. Just LIke I don't consider all Red Sox fans/Yankee haters with the trash they talk. I would say a good 40-50% of Red Sox and Yankee fans know little to nothing about their own team. But being that they have the 2 biggest fan bases, it would make sense for them to have the best fans and the worst fans

But hey, in terms of people complaining about a salaray cap? I just want to let you know it is not going to do anything. Low market teams (especially the Marlins) will prob only spend like 5% of the cap, where as teams like the Yankees and Sox will do their best to do over 100%

And what is with all football fans saying it is good for it to have a salary cap and baseball should too? Well correct me if I am wrong, but the NFL (and NBA) both are contsnatly having the same winners. Heck you are lucky to get 4 different champions in 4 years in those sports, though if the Giants win the Super Bowl, that would be the case for the NFL. But my main question is, if high market teams are not always winning, and low market teams are not always losing, what's the good of the salary cap? It will not change anything. I feel it is good for baseball for different teams to be in competition year in/year out. In baseball, 8 teams make the playoffs, So in 2006 8 teams made the playoffs, and in 2007 only 1 of those 8 teams returned. It shows you how year in/year out baseball has different competitors
o
jackhole7
jackhole7 (4 hours ago)

Yanks2008champs (2 hours ago) "How big the Sox fans talk...after winning their first AL east crown, (by a whole 2 games) in 10 years! I will take great pleasure in 2008 in watching;
1. The GMEN dismantle the C H E A T R I O T S and make all the Bostonians cry
2. The Yankees push the Red Sox into 3rd, and out of the playoffs, like they did in 2006.
And I will be here all the way, reminding the mouthy Bostonians, that they still suffer from little brother syndrome. Please, stop trying to compete with New York. You are just a puny little village compared to us...stop embarassing yourselves like that. You are not New york, which is the capital of the World (UN), finanace (Wall Street), entertainment (all the networks, Broadway), and publishing, banking, etc. And oh , it is also the home of the worldwide acknowledged greatest team in sports on the planet, the gretest dynasty, and the most famous, richest, most popular, and greatest valued (4-5 billion) THE NEW YORK YANKEES....."

Yanks2008, you are the typical dillusional New York a.s.s.h.o.l.e. And oh-by-the-way, that city is a sh!thole. I wouldn't live in NYC if you paid my rent. What's funny is how bitter you are about Boston's recent dominance. Are you sure you don't want to take a crack at the Bruins and Celtics while you're at it? Maybe the New England Revolution? You're an angry little troll. Go back to your mother's basement in the Bronx and choke yourself...
o
jackhole7
jackhole7 (4 hours ago)

xploitthehero (57 minutes ago) "boston sucks they steal manny, ortiz, schilling, garnett, allen, moss, beckett, damon... at least new york has jeter."

Great story, moron. It's called Free Agency. Are you really trying to say that Boston steals players and the NYY don't??? Get off the crack, pal. The Spanks are the worst of the bunch when it comes to cherry-picking allstars from teams that can no longer afford them. Now get back in the corner and lay down....
o
scarletflier
scarletflier (4 hours ago)
isnt the idea to buy a team with a chance to win? Yankees figured out the buying part...need to work on the winning part...if you got the money, spend it...GO YANKS!
o
fullonder
fullonder (4 hours ago)
Go Tigers!!!
o
xploitthehero
xploitthehero (5 hours ago)
dmon you took that a little harsh... first of all, i despise the yankees even more than the red sox. but after hearing everyone bash the yanks i stood up for them and with the sox BECOMING the yankees they are just as bad. these two teams are ruining baseball because it just isn't fair anymore. i live in colorado and worked at the world series games, i can tell you first hand that it was just plain stupid. they didn't stand a chance, and when the sox steal holliday from the rockies, it will just be another example why the salary cap, like in EVERY other sports, should come into play. so before you automatically assume i am a horrible yankees fan, think about the unbiased people in this conversation who love the sport of baseball and feel that two teams are embarrassing it by spending insane amounts of money and getting whomever they want from FREE AGENCY, when teams like the rockies aren't capable of keeping their star players. and one last thing, how many championships have you won in the past 88 years?
o
astyls
astyls (5 hours ago)
Maybe if Steinbrenner doesn't blow that much money and gets some players that will have chemistry, they could of won one in the past 7 years!!!!!
o
DMONMCD33
DMONMCD33 (5 hours ago)
Hey Xploit, how many championships have you won in the last 10 years? Money has really paid off! Everyone says "us Boston teams" buy our championships? At least we get results and have actually won championships! To be frank, if New York wasn't so out of control (yes, even with our spending I want a salary cap) Boston wouldn't be spending as much. Oh yeah xploit, we got Garnett, Beckett, Allen, Moss, Schilling in TRADES you moron! Just because New York gets thugs that can't win but get caught doing roids and HGH basically shows how DUMB your owners are and you can't even get rid of Isiah but you boot Torre? You got worse problems and after the Super Bowl will realize you are not in the same league anymore! Money=EGOS that destroy teams Unless you have the right players!
o
StanOkie
StanOkie (5 hours ago)
Salary Cap
o
xploitthehero
xploitthehero (5 hours ago)
boston sucks they steal manny, ortiz, schilling, garnett, allen, moss, beckett, damon... at least new york has jeter.
o
EffIrsay
EffIrsay (5 hours ago)
Gotta love the luxury tax. Bet they break a quarter billion after Steinbratter nabs Bonds and Clemens.
o
buckinoitall
buckinoitall (5 hours ago)
218.3 million and they still will make 195 million. The Yank$$s still remain supreme. Thats bigger than most teams payroll budgett. I will stop watching base ball. Yank$$s versus the Reds sox all other teams forfiet
o
mostringspoststeroids
mostringspoststeroids (5 hours ago)
HAHAHAHAHAHA You got that Kia for $22,000? I got my brand new BMW for $15,000!!!
o
snssj4
snssj4 (5 hours ago)
"The $100 million is not a one-year payroll deal. So, despite your valant effort, you still fail."
Wrong...that just the type of thing the yankees did...blow money on things not as good as adverstised...one thing the Red Sox do better than the yankees is make excuses on some bs curse until they win...they just can admit that they suked for that long
o
jgfleet
jgfleet (5 hours ago)
the stankees will need to buy some young studs because they are getting old with no real new talent coming up the pipeline
o
COCowboysfan08
COCowboysfan08 (5 hours ago)
nuwriter.. I don't think that Rev1addidas has the mental capacity to look anything up so allow me to make your point for you... BOSTON RED SOX WORLD SERIES CHAMPS... (1912, 1915, 1916, 1918) all of which within 100 years I believe
o
nuwriter
nuwriter (5 hours ago)

"COCowboysfan08 (5 minutes ago) Report Violation | Ignore User I'll make a bet with anyone willing to take it that the Sox will win at least 3 more titles before the Yanks win 1... I may hate the Sox but they play as a team as opposed to several washed up soon to be retiree's playing in the same uniforms"

That's fine with Yanks2008champs, he's got Broadway!
o
mostringspoststeroids
mostringspoststeroids (5 hours ago)
All I have to say is:
HAHAHAHAHAHA You got that Kia for $22,000? I got my brand new BMW for $15,000!!!
o
nuwriter
nuwriter (5 hours ago)

"Rev1addidas (4 minutes ago) Report Violation | Ignore User Yanks rule all Boston Sux every1 is a sox fan now that they won 2 championships in the past 100 years but the natural or of things will soon be restored"

The Red Sox have only won two championships in the past 100 years?

You're a history major, aren't you.

baseball-referenc e.com

Idiot.
o
COCowboysfan08
COCowboysfan08 (5 hours ago)
I'll make a bet with anyone willing to take it that the Sox will win at least 3 more titles before the Yanks win 1... I may hate the Sox but they play as a team as opposed to several washed up soon to be retiree's playing in the same uniforms
o
MetsSkinsFan
MetsSkinsFan (5 hours ago)
hall,
don't forget Dodgers. They were 3rd, Mets 4th.
o
nuwriter
nuwriter (5 hours ago)

hall0663, A salary cap won't happen as long as the union is as powerful as it is.

That being said, every team does have a chance to compete if they're well managed. The Florida Marlins have as many championships since 1997 as the Yankees or Red Sox do, and the Mets don't have any.

You can spend $218 million, but if you spend it foolishly, you don't win.
o
Rev1addidas
Rev1addidas (6 hours ago)
Yanks rule all Boston Sux every1 is a sox fan now that they won 2 championships in the past 100 years but the natural or of things will soon be restored
o
hall0663
hall0663 (6 hours ago)
Does anyone know if there have been any discussions about a salary cap? I know the Yankees draw in more revenue than any other team and could be argued to be good for the sport, but as a fan of a small market team this doesn't seem fair. Pretty soon all we'll have is Yankee, Red Sox, and Mets fans.
o
nuwriter
nuwriter (6 hours ago)

Yanks2008champs, I thought you wanted to talk about the future?

But then again, if I was a Yankee fan and a Giant fan, I wouldn't be focusing on this century either.
o
b_jud
b_jud (6 hours ago)
Don't worry, the Yankees aren't going to win a championship for at least ten years anyway. Not while A-Rod is still around.
o
COCowboysfan08
COCowboysfan08 (6 hours ago)
Wow, I'm pretty impressed.. You turned an innocent compliment about the joy you bring others into a cheap shot directed at my favorite team that I haven't even mentioned in all of the posts up to this point.. Gotta love New Yorkers.. Yeah, I think they're all vacationing in Mexico now. We got beat. I've let it go, can you?
o
hall0663
hall0663 (6 hours ago)
Salary cap please....... this is getting ridiculous.
o
MetsSkinsFan
MetsSkinsFan (6 hours ago)
Yeah yeah yeah ............ and the sky is blue, grass is green, and it's cold and snowy on the east coast during the winter. Tell us something that we didn't already know, ESPN.
o
nuwriter
nuwriter (6 hours ago)

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:36 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1068679&srvc=rss

The Mets, and not the Red Sox or Yankees, remain the front-runner as the team most likely to succeed in pulling off a trade for Minnesota ace Johan Santana, according to baseball insiders in touch with both the Mets and Twins in recent days.

A package the Twins could receive will probably not include both of the Mets’ top outfield prospects, Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez. There are indications that Martinez would be in the deal, along with major league outfielder Ryan Church and at least two other prospects. Starter Mike Pelfrey could be part of the deal as well.

Really Mike Pelrey? Are you kidding me? He's a sinker ball pitcher? . .

Last edited by on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:46 am; edited 2 times in total

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:39 am

Have you seen this man?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3211113

the funniest story of the night, the feds can’t find Chuck Knoblauch to serve him with his subpoena.

Osama bin Laden, I’ll give you that. He’s hiding in a cave somewhere in the mountains. But you can’t find Chuck Knoblauch? Our tax dollars at work.

Meanwhile, old friend Jaret Wright signed a minor-league deal with the Pirates. It’s truly amazing how desperate teams are for pitching.

UPDATE, 9:40 p.m.: A man matching Knoblauch’s description was just spotted at the Grover Cleveland rest area in New Jersey in line at the Roy Rogers. He seems to be headed to Canada.

U.S. Marshall Samuel Gerard is now on the case and has promised “a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area.”

Run, Chuck, run.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:42 am

Canseco sought cash from Ordonez to keep name 'clear' in book

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3211598

NEW YORK -- Jose Canseco offered to keep Magglio Ordonez "clear" in his upcoming book if the Detroit Tigers outfielder invested in a movie project promoted by Canseco, The New York Times reported Wednesday night.

The newspaper cited "a person in baseball with knowledge of the situation" in a report on its Web site and said four people in baseball, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Major League Baseball referred the matter to the FBI.

Ordonez decided not to go forward with a complaint, so the FBI didn't open a formal investigation, the newspaper said. Ordonez spoke to Tigers president Dave Dombrowski, who contacted MLB.

"I didn't want to press charges against him," Ordonez was quoted as saying. "I don't want any problems. He is probably desperate for money. I don't understand why he is trying to put people down."

Ordonez, teammates with Canseco on the 2001 Chicago White Sox, said Canseco didn't specifically ask him for cash.

"One of Jose's friends was leaving me messages," Ordonez was quoted as saying. "I told Dombrowski because I didn't know why he was calling me."

Canseco told the paper that neither he nor any associate asked Ordonez for money in exchange for avoiding mention in "Vindicated," which is scheduled for publication March 31.

"Absolutely not," Canseco was quoted as saying.

Canseco said he unsuccessfully attempted to reach Ordonez. Canseco refused to say whether he would implicate Ordonez with performance-enhancing drug use in the book.

Scott Boras, Ordonez's agent, filed a complaint with the FBI after Canseco spoke with a Boras employee and said Ordonez would be "clear" if the outfielder invested in the movie project, the newspaper said.

Last year, Canseco was reportedly trying to put together a movie based on "Juiced," his 2005 book that implicated Mark McGwire and Jason Giambi, among others, in the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Ordonez was not implicated in the Mitchell report on drugs in baseball or in Canseco's first book.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:43 am

Canseco sought cash from Ordonez to keep name 'clear' in book
Associated Press

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

NEW YORK -- Jose Canseco offered to keep Magglio Ordonez "clear" in his upcoming book if the Detroit Tigers outfielder invested in a movie project promoted by Canseco, The New York Times reported Wednesday night. The newspaper cited "a person in baseball with knowledge of the situation" in a report on its Web site and said four people in baseball, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Major League Baseball referred the matter to the FBI. Ordonez decided not to go forwar ...

Read full story

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
0 / 1500
Cancel
Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.

* Comments (1-15)
o
KevWeiser8
KevWeiser8 (1 hour ago)
As much as I hate to say it, Jose broke open the entire steroid scandal. In retrospect, he should be treated as more of a hero than a scumbag. He hit the nail on the head with Raffy, Jason Giambi and Big Mac, yet he still gets a black eye because he was a jerk to the media so they portray him that way. What he did is no different than the people in that of the Enron scandal. Combine that with his stats, and it should be no question that Jose should be in the Hall of Fame if guys like Big Mac, Raffy and Bonds are allowed in....
o
lyryan11
lyryan11 (2 hours ago)
"Jose Canseco snitchin cuz he finish" - Rick Ross
o
SHAEGGY
SHAEGGY (2 hours ago)
I guess we can add attempted extortion to Canseco's list of amazing accomplishments.
o
StillaRedsRooter
StillaRedsRooter (2 hours ago)
Are YOU on crack is the better question. Jose was an #### when he was player, not only as an athlete but also as a person. Why is okay to believe one person who admits to being on steroids, but not believe any of the others who may have been on steroids? Does taking steroids, such as Jose did, make him suddenly an honest person when he wasn't before? I can see Jose doing this because he is a big loser and bitter that his name is no longer the big one in baseball, which is why he feels the need to leech on whatever attention he can get, steroids.
o
steve9194
steve9194 (2 hours ago)
Are YOU on crack? He's the most credible person on the subject. He's yet to say one thing that's even come close to be proven false, and most of the things he's said have proven to be true.
o
h0ho10
h0ho10 (3 hours ago)

yo luigi7171, are you on crack?

hes just pulling stuff outta his behind. you gotta be crazy to believe anything he says.
o
stocksplitter
stocksplitter (3 hours ago)
Canseco was on "The Surreal Life, Season 5" and also "Pros vs Joes, Season 2." You wouldn't think a guy so established in the entertainment industry would be so hard up for cash for a movie project he wants done. Wink
o
Luigi7171
Luigi7171 (3 hours ago)
At least Jose's honest, which is more than I can say about Clemens, McGuire, Bonds & all the others.
o
pruner71
pruner71 (3 hours ago)

I don't think an Oscar is in Jose's future.

Toolshed.
o
patriotsjay81
patriotsjay81 (3 hours ago)
Just when you think, maybe Jose finally did something right, and is somewhat respectable...he shows his true colors. lowlife rat.
o
miznat03
miznat03 (3 hours ago)
this stuff is getting so old
o
ATOWN1995
ATOWN1995 (3 hours ago)
canseco is a bitter player for getting shut out of baseball because he is a cancer in the locker room. thats why he is ratting on players
o
seedorf34
seedorf34 (3 hours ago)
oh I got beat.
o
seedorf34
seedorf34 (3 hours ago)
Hmmmm first??
o
stevemahalick
stevemahalick (3 hours ago)
OOOO EEEE OOOO MAAAGGLIO

Comments that include profanity, or personal attacks, or antisocial behavior such as "spamming" or "trolling," or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our terms of use. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:46 am

Money Money Money

You spent 63 million more than Boston last year, hows that grab ya? Oh you made the playoffs last how many years? Right, it just doesnt matter, when all you Yankee fans care about are what? Right Championships, because this is what you are all known for. Always talking about the Championships, hey if you win one this year, great.. You'll be doing it without Johan Santanna, he'll be on the Championship NY other team. Right, the New York Mets. Like Munson says, "losers like losers"... Please dont remind me of the collapse the Mets had last year, it fails in comparison to what happen to you in 2004.... Go Yanks, right.

Always talking about the Championships, hey if you win one this year, great.. You'll be doing it without Johan Santanna, he'll be on the Championship NY other team

Huh? Which part of this makes sense...?

In the future if you're going to crap out god-awful nonsensical poorly written troll posts on this board... please do Jet fans a favor and change your screen name, you're an embarrassment to the fanbase.

fails in comparison

Haha.

No one on this board has anything to do with the payroll of the NYY, none of us have any say in it whatsoever. So what are posters posting their frustration about the payroll here for? None of us can do anything about it so whats the point?

Are you seriously here spitting this out? You have nothing at all to stand on. And you never will. Win something. Then come talk. I will give Boston trolls some credit. They won a championship. The mets didn't make the playoffs last year. And your team still spent money. Did they spend as much as the yanks? No they didn't. Did they have as many wins? No! Did they make the playoffs? No! So your season was a bigger bust than ours. Everything stems from winning championships. You are right about that. But making the playoffs is the only way to win a WS. So do that first. Then come talk. Maybe you should switch leagues. No wait you would have been further behind the playoff race. Wow the nerve of some people.

People love to attack the Yankees and their fans about payroll...but has anyone bothered to notice the NYY made over 415m last season? That's some serious cash that other owners couldn't dream about pulling in...put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Good stuff there. The yanks can spend that much money because they put the best product on the field every single year. Fans go to the game. Spend money on the merchandise. I doubt anyone came near what they made. So it all works out in the end. And you are right. Everyone loves to attack the yanks about the payroll. It is one of the top stories on the main page here at espn.com. But I am sure the article doesn't state how much the team made. And where they rank. But who really cares. I love this team no matter what!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 am

Is there a hope for Ny Jets since Patriots are in the same division ? What areas do they need to addressed to be a superbowl contender

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down