Don Mattingly to be special assignment coach for Dodgers

Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:04 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3208977

LOS ANGELES -- Don Mattingly won't be alongside Joe Torre in the Los Angeles Dodgers' dugout every game this year.

Mattingly will be moved from hitting coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers to major league special assignment coach for the 2008 season due to family reasons, the team said Tuesday. Mike Easler will replace Mattingly as hitting coach.

"Donnie is prioritizing his family first," said the former MVP's agent, Ray Schulte. "The Dodgers have been very supportive, creating a position so Don can still make a contribution to the team throughout the year!"

After losing out to Joe Girardi for the New York Yankees' manager job, Mattingly agreed to follow Torre to Los Angeles.

Mattingly will now assist with the Dodgers' major league coaching staff during spring training and throughout the season.

"I'm very grateful that the Dodgers have allowed me to take care of these family matters and I hope that everyone can respect our privacy during this time," Mattingly said in a statement issued by the team. "I truly appreciate the support of all Dodger fans since joining the organization and I look forward to helping the team win in 2008 and beyond."

The 57-year-old Easler was the St. Louis Cardinals' hitting coach from 1999-2001, and served in the same capacity for the Milwaukee Brewers in 1992 and the Boston Red Sox in 1993-94. He spent the last two seasons as a hitting coach in the Dodgers' minor league system.

"Mike has enjoyed success as both a player and a coach in the Major Leagues and he's extremely familiar with our players," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said. "This is an opportunity to promote a very talented individual from within the organization and we expect him to make a seamless transition to the major league staff."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Don Mattingly to be special assignment coach for Dodgers

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:08 pm

* ESPN.com | MyESPN | Profile | Inbox | Register | Forgot: Password Member Name | Member Services | Not virgilio?
Member Name: Welcome, virgilio | Sign Out Password:

* Profile Home

* Conversations
* Welcome Screen
* Profile Search

Mattingly to be special assignment coach for Dodgers
Associated Press

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

LOS ANGELES -- Don Mattingly won't be alongside Joe Torre in the Los Angeles Dodgers' dugout every game this year. Mattingly will be moved from hitting coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers to major league special assignment coach for the 2008 season due to family reasons, the team said Tuesday. Mike Easler will replace Mattingly as hitting coach. "Donnie is prioritizing his family first," said the former MVP's agent, Ray Schulte. "The Dodgers have been very supportive, creating a position ...

Read full story

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
0 / 1500
Cancel
Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.

* Comments (1-3)
o
Chris3575
Chris3575 (Less than a minute ago)
Report Violation | Ignore User
Donnie Baseball is a man of integrity. I'm sure whatever the reason, this family issue takes priority! Now, I wonder if he will be available for Old Timers' Day!!!
o
TheKnockdown
TheKnockdown (7 minutes ago)
Leaving the Yankees was the right decision in that instance though...would of caused too much intrigue for the media if Mattingly was on Girardis staff.
o
Rev1addidas
Rev1addidas (10 minutes ago)
Donnie belongs in Pinstripes and even though i feel goin to another team wasn't the right thing i'd forgive him if he cam back to ny

Comments that include profanity, or personal attacks, or antisocial behavior such as "spamming" or "trolling," or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our terms of use. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down