You should be embarassed because all that money and you stil

Go down

You should be embarassed because all that money and you stil

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:51 am

Don't blame the Yankees.

As a Yankee fan, I am as frustrated as anyone with the payroll situation. I am embarassed at the difference between the Yankees payroll and the average payroll in the league. I am embarassed that we outspent our nearest competition by nearly 65 million. It's a situation that needs to be addressed.
It's hard to place blame on the owners and the GM. They should display more responsibility but when your talking about a franchise that brings in billions, they know they can afford to spend and they're going to spend to try to improve their team.
The majority of the blame goes to MLB and the commissioner. Baseballs payroll is clearly out of control and the luxury tax system isn't working at all as good as intended. It's a situation that needs to be addressed, and it won't be addressed because baseball is bringing in more money then ever before, Selig is making the owners very rich and very happy and as long as the money train is rolling for everyone, this situation isn't going to get any better.
Please don't hold the Payroll against Yankee fans, we can't control steinbrenners wallet and most of us wish that there was a league payroll cap or standard of some kind that would institute a fairer game for everyone.

There should be a salary cap, and there should also be an equal amount of teams in each division.

Having four teams in one division (AL West) and six teams in another division (NL Central) and five teams in all the other divisions makes zero sense.

A friend of mine said the league should expand to 32 teams, 4 teams in 8 divisions, and the divisions would go by payroll. Top four teams in one division, next four in another division and so forth and so on.

There are alot of things that could improve what is already a good game.

Umpires need to quit favoring teams from New York, Boston and Los Angeles

You, the Yankees Fans or the NY Yankees themselves should not have any guilt. It's the business of baseball.

I played baseball on the sandlots and in high school and college. i have coached in many levels of amatuer baseball and 4 players i have coached have went on to be drafted by professional teams. My proudest is Jay Tessemer, who was drafted by the Yankees, (though he never got to the bigs because he eventually hurt his arm), this is a player that was cut by another team in Little League and I put him on my team and he made it to AAA and was a closer for the Miami Hurricanes.

You should be embarassed because all that money and you still really don't have a shot at winning a World Series this year!!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: You should be embarassed because all that money and you stil

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 am

January 23, 2008
Osi rips Pats tackle Matt Light

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2008/01/osi-rips-patriots-tackle-matt.html

Whatever happened to “Talk is cheap! Play the game!” Wasn’t that the Giants’ motto?

First Eli Manning announces to the world that “We know what it takes to beat (the Patriots).” And now we have Osi Umenyiora, accusing Patriots left tackle Matt Light of being a dirty player.

You can hear it for yourself tonight at 10 p.m. on HBO’s Inside the NFL, but here’s the transcript HBO just sent out:

Osi Umenyiora: “It was a good matchup the last time (between him and Light). I mean, I think I got him a couple of times, he also got me a couple of times. It was a war out there and to be honest with you, I’m not quite sure that he thought that he was going to see me again because of some of the things he did and said during that game. But, you know, unfortunately he does have to see me again.”

Bob Costas: “Trash talking is one thing. You seem to be implying that he made some dirty moves. Did something happen outside the pale?”

Osi Umenyiora: “He was doing a couple of things that you know he shouldn’t have been.”

Bob Costas: “Like what?”

Osi Umenyiora: “Hitting after the delay and trying to … I don’t know if he was trying to intimidate me, I don’t know what he was trying to do, but he did a couple of things that he shouldn’t have done and, you know, now we are really going to go at it this time.”

Bob Costas: “Were there angry words?”

Osi Umenyiora: “A couple.”

On the bright side, Umenyiora was able to bite his tongue when Costas asked him if he thought the Patriots were a “dirty team”.

“I wouldn’t call them a dirty team, I wouldn’t say that,” he said. “I haven’t really experienced them as a team to be dirty. They have certain individuals like I am sure we have certain individuals who are perceived to be dirty but people wouldn’t call them a dirty team.”

I suspect that last quote won’t be the one that ends up on the Patriots’ bulletin board. But the stuff about Light surely will.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 am

you have to remember new york giant fans....Eli chose us....how many athletes have chosen to play here, such as kevin garnett....we have to love Eli if only for this
Posted by joeyvit on January 23, 2008 6:49 PM

ed, do you have to bring up Tiki in every post? You really need to get a grip.
Posted by angeltattoo on January 23, 2008 6:50 PM

This is why they need to play the Super Bowl the week after the conference championships. What is everybody in the press corps expected to do, not drum up material to print, tape and produce with. If the NFL is missing the point on any one issue, its the 2-week delay in the Super Bowl!
Posted by AlinNC on January 23, 2008 7:08 PM

Wasn't it one Rodney Harrison who said last week that everybody knows the Giants are the dirtiest team in the league?

Compared to that bon mot from Rodney, Osi's remark about Light is pretty mild. I just hope when the stories are written for Thursday about Umenyiora's remarks, what Harrison said a week ago doesn't vanish down the collective memory hole.

Posted by JohnPCV on January 23, 2008 7:15 PM

How about footstomping punk Richard Seymour who Chargers spoke out against after the game?

SEYMOUR HEAD-BUTT CAUGHT ON TAPE?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2008, 2:24 p.m.
PFT Planet, we don’t know what we’d do without you.

In response to the item regarding the contention of Chargers center Nick Hardwick that Pats defensive end Richard Seymour applied a head butt to a Chargers coach, a reader sent to us a YouTube video that seems to capture the moment in question.

The apparent head-butt comes at about the 2:48 mark of the segment.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/2008/01/23/seymour-head-butt-caught-on-tape/
Posted by bob s on January 23, 2008 7:35 PM

ed, do you have to bring up Tiki in every post? I do because they wasn't as bad as Eli and Osi's. Lets antagonize a team that's won Super Bowl after Super Bowl. Shut up and let your play do the talking.
Posted by ed drossman on January 23, 2008 8:18 PM

"Lets antagonize a team"

oh so thats why they beat the eagles after mitchells comments? and the other teams too after whatever trash talk?

get real! they wont try any harder than they would have anyway. there playing for MONEY and also for history - besides they trash talk just as muh too. and they are a dirty team. so what?
Posted by bob s on January 23, 2008 8:41 PM

ed, do you root for the NY Giants or do you root for the NY Tiki's? Your obsession with that traitor needs to stop.
Posted by angeltattoo on January 23, 2008 8:45 PM

Are you happy Ralph? Right now you're laughing your arse off at all the Giants fans battling about that no-issue remark. Chances are Light knows he's dirty and quite proud of it. Osi is going to blow past that guy like his feet are stuck in cement.
Posted by angeltattoo on January 23, 2008 8:54 PM

Btw, before I go to sleep...

Go Giants!!!! 18-1
Posted by angeltattoo on January 23, 2008 8:57 PM

Fun Giants/Pats game to play

http://www.fyrebug.com/displaygame.php?gameid=1758

enjoy...

go big blue!!!!!!!!
Posted by jectalo on January 23, 2008 9:32 PM

I am a Giants fan. That's why I'm a Barber fan. Tiki gave his heart and soul to the Giants and the Giants "fans" repay him by booing him. And when Strahan's retired he'll be a reporter and speak his mind too.

Angel, if let's say Mark Jackson or Pat Ewing became a Knicks reported and they were critical of the Knicks, and after that the Knicks made the playoffs, would you call Jackson or Ewing traitors? Tiki is a reporter and was doing his job. And since his remarks, the Giants have been great. They should send tiki a thank you letter. He did something no coach could do. I'm a season ticket holder for over 30 years and my dad had tickets for 30 years before I was born. I've been to two of the Giants' Super Bowls. I missed the Bills, because I was in college. I'm looking forward to the Giants beating the cheaters. But I must add for Giants fans to tash Tiki, they're showing they aren't really Giants fans. And I love how Yankee fans, fans of a team that enploy cheaters are being critical of the Pats. By the way, I'm not a Yankee fan. But the good news is soon pitchers, catchers and their dealers will report to camp.
Posted by ed drossman on January 23, 2008 9:38 PM

This really isn't that big of a deal. He basically said Light trash talks. Find me a player in the NFL that hasn't done some jawing, especially when provoked. If anything, I think Osi deserves the Mr. Obvious award being as nothing he said there was too ground-breaking. I would like to see Osi maybe show up for this game though. That would be nice. And in regards to Eli saying they know what it takes to beat the Pats, all i can say is that I should hope so! Otherwise I'll be kinda disappointed.
Posted by MK1 on January 23, 2008 9:41 PM

angeltattoo, please stop antagonizing poor 'ol Ed. He's a good guy and a die hard Giants fan.
Posted by fusionhead on January 23, 2008 9:42 PM

"And since his remarks, the Giants have been great. "

Please don't tell me you seriously believe that is why they have become good.... Because of something Tiki Barber said during a preseason football halftime show? Might I add that after he made those comments, the Giants promptly lost their first two games and were written off for dead by nearly everyone.
Posted by MK1 on January 23, 2008 9:44 PM

The Giant fans / PLAYERS say some stupid things and always seem to deal with the chest bangin .FACTS .The Giants played no one THE pats wouldnt have taken apart..Playoff teams .. Tampa bay very weak QB Garcia thats tuff come on..Dallas with Romo broken thumb Please Pats dumped them by 24 in Dallas....PACKERS i have not seen a worst game by a veteran QB as Farve..He ALONE gave them that game throwin bombs do the middle of the field..Just wait till the Brady Bunch gets in a warm weather climate on grass and you will need a calculator to keep score.I THINK YOU JUST LIKE THE SOUND OF YOUR BABBLE
Posted by Duffx3 on January 23, 2008 9:48 PM

They've got Rodney Harrison who's known to be the league's dirtiest player. The Chargers said how dirty Seymour played. Wilfork was fined $15,000 for poking Jacobs in the eye in the last game. The team and the coach were both penalized by the league for cheating. So obviously they are a dirty team. The head ref of this game is the same guy who ref'd the last Giants Pats game and has to be embarassed about missing that Wilfork call so its good that the Pats are getting all this attention. May help us get some calls our way instead of the Phantom calls on Toomer on the sidelines.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 am

This is idiotic. Players will try to use anything as motivation if they feel like it. Doesn't matter what anybody actually says.
Posted by rush on January 23, 2008 10:01 PM

I thought ed was antagonizing ME? Can't seem to shake you fusionhead. All right. You win. I still don't like Tiki but this big blue world is big enough for all of us.

Duffus3, Feb 4 your going to be crying like TO.
Posted by angeltattoo on January 23, 2008 10:03 PM

Angelatto,

Cool. Lets just be a united fan base going for a Superbowl win. Enjoy it, this doesn't happen very often.
Posted by fusionhead on January 23, 2008 10:06 PM

...oh yeah, I forgot, their star receiver spends his free time beating women in parking lots. Real class act.

Do you have to be an idiot who can't write a coherent paragraph to be a Pats fan? Is that a requirement? This one is even more stupid than sportsofficial.
Posted by DatMel on January 23, 2008 10:15 PM

Here is the way I see it right now.

Belichick has peaked and there is a new guy on D that will dominate: Spags. the bar has been raised and what Belichick did before, is no longer good enough to match was he will see on Feb 3.

Patriots are going to lose this game.

Tiki has nothing to do with it.

Trash talk has nothing to do with it, but it won't change the score unless the Pats do the talking.

It's the Superbowl, all stops are pulled regardless of trash talk. Trash talk adds no motivation. Pats biggest motivation is to avoid the loss and giga-embarrassment. The only way trash talk could be effective is to bait the other team to do something stupid. But that is not going to happen because it's all about getting the right match ups.

If Giants swagger into this game, as they should, they will win. It's of the mind that nobody will stop them from putting Brady on his ass before he gets a good plant. Osi will back up his words. When he is motivated, his is super strong. He can drive anyone backwards and when they have had enough of that, he will speed rush 'em and get pressure or a sack. You see, the reason that I think that he feels this way is from their last game. They weren't any tougher than Dallas he must be thinking. In fact, Dallas may have been harder to wear down, and he and his teammates did it. Next time, I won't hesitate because they are the Patriots. It's mind over matter. They fear no one. They smell fear that that their competitors will choke. And they will.

And I do want to see Plax yell over to the side lines again after he has burned them several times ..."He can't cover me either!".

I see a shift of power happening here. The Giant's are the intimidators. Pats better not saying anything about the Giants of they will pay them back. That is what has happened... the change in mind... and will.

Posted by fusionhead on January 23, 2008 10:16 PM

It's going to be like Rocky 1 only this time Rock wins.

Right now the Pats are with their accountants and agents figuring out how to spend the money and booking 'victory' engagements.

The Giants are in the freezer pounding sides of beef until their hands bleed.

We are going to rock the NFL world!
Posted by angeltattoo on January 23, 2008 10:30 PM

Watching the HBO show. They show Strahan after the Packers game running up to Eli and yelling "E, thank you man" and Eli said to him "I'm going to get you one." Really cool.
Posted by DatMel on January 23, 2008 10:50 PM

Come on i truly like your rah rah but really Do you really think the Eli Manning led Giants are going to be able to pull off the greatess upset in the history of the NFL..Do you really think 18-0 is shabby and lucky and that you have more skill guys and your guys are that much tuffer..Hell 6 weeks ago you wanted to shoot Eli and Jacobs/ Ward where hurt Droughs was the goal line guy..Man you are drinkin the kool aid.if you think the NY offense will punish the PATS..This will be the kind of GAME where Eli will be seeing a D that his brother never saw Good Luck you guys are great fans..But the Duff wont be shedding no tears on the 4th
Posted by Duffx3 on January 23, 2008 10:50 PM

Duffx3,

Not one of the trolls from another team fan base who has talked it up here on this blog of the week leading up to their game has returned here after the game was over. Why is that do you suppose? Well it’s because they lost. You will not be back after Feb 3 either. So no offense, I’m not going to make a fiend of you because you’re a short timer.

Your words: "PACKERS i have not seen a worst game by a veteran QB as Farve".

Brett's name is spelled Favre you idiot . I will not address the way that you butchered the use of the word "worst". Let us just disregard your illiteracy for one moment and focus on the essence of what you are struggling to convey. Here let me help.

You have not have not witnessed such a poor performance by a veteran quarterback such as Brett Favre until you saw Tom Brady's performance in Superbowl XLII. Come back on Feb 4 and lets compare notes shall we?

p.s., "Car" has a "R" in it at the end of the word. It's only three letters but I'm confident that if you try really really hard, that you can pronounce it properly.

p.s., again,. sorry it's me again. but "Idea" does *not* have a "R" in it at the end of the word. Maybe if again, that you try really really hard, you will be able to swap the two “R’s” and pronounce that one correctly as well.
Posted by fusionhead on January 23, 2008 10:54 PM

Datmal it never takes long to find the wanna bees in these blogs I GOT YOUR ELI RIGHT HERE
Posted by Duffx3 on January 23, 2008 10:56 PM

Jeezus - you can't spell the word "tougher"? You really think its spelled "tuffer"?
Posted by DatMel on January 23, 2008 10:57 PM

datmalMoms callin i will be late for school sparring with a grown up babbler but come on and get me some coffee and you can make fun of me when my team has its 4th ring in 7 years
Posted by Duffx3 on January 23, 2008 11:06 PM

What are you even talking about you incoherent jack? You're spewing incoherent non sequiturs. Are you from Boston? How can you be from the city with the greatest number of colleges and be this stupid? You must be willfully stupid. Every week we get some fan of the opposing team come on here and try to taunt us and you have to be the stupidest so far. You make the Cowboys fans seem like geniuses. Quit slurping bad chowdah.
Posted by DatMel on January 23, 2008 11:17 PM

DatMel, another metal midget in for sadness the night of Feb 3rd.

On another note, How about them Cowboys! I hope they enjoyed the show in Green Bay and ate plenty of popcorn.
Posted by fusionhead on January 23, 2008 11:36 PM

duffx3

"The Giants played no one THE pats wouldnt have taken apart"

what about the eagles? patriots didn't "take the eagles apart"
Posted by bob s on January 23, 2008 11:52 PM

They lost the games early on because at that point in the season they weren't ready for prime time. They needed to gain experience and grow as a team. And yes, I think the improved play had something to do with Tiki's comments. Before Tiki's comments, I never saw the Giants back up their QB and I never saw their QB say anything of great value.

In fact even the Giants GM trashed Eli. But after Tiki’s commets, Eli stood up for himself and the Giants backed him up. A team grows when they start to back up and protect their qb and their QB grows when he begins to defend himself on the field and off of it.

I remember Simms would go after defensive players (I recall Simms getting into Ronnie Lott’s face (I think it was Lott) (and the two had to be separated) and the Giants would defend him. Part of the growth of a football team is developing toughness like the Giants did after the Tiki incident.

I kept looking at the Giants schedule (after the first two games) and saw that the Giants played the entire AFC Least (very winnable games). I saw their schedule and figured they would be 9-7 or 10-6 (my pre season prediction was 8-Cool, I admit I underestimated them, but after the first two games, I realized that they were better then an 8-8 team.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:05 am

This story got me thinking...(uh oh thats never good:-)
Sox’ Henry delivers hard sell

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1068679

This is an old debate and I’m still not sure where I stand on the issue of a new ballpark for the Sox, but let’s put this into some kind of perspective from John Henry’s standpoint.

Let’s assume the following: Both the new Yankee Stadium and Fenway will both sellout for every game.

Also assume that the average ticket price for each park is $40 bucks. (I know that’s off, but go with me on this)

Now, lets do the math.

The new YS will hold 53,000 people x $40 = $2,120,000.00 per game

Fenway holds only 39,000 people x $40 = $1,560,000.00 per game

That’s a difference of 14,000 people and $560,000.00 in ticket revenue per game.

There are 81 home games, so $560,000 x 81 = $45,360,000.00 more in yearly revenue for the Yankees compared to the Red Sox in ticket sales alone. That doesn’t include concessions, parking or merchandise sales. That is a pretty big number. From the standpoint of an owner, I would assume it doesn’t make a very good case for keeping the team in Fenway. For the price of a new ballpark, (1.02 billion estimated cost for the new YS) it would take almost 23 years to pay off a new park and begin to see profit from it based on tickets sales alone. You’re the owner, so you tell me, what do you do knowing that you have to compete? Continue to raise ticket prices or try to build a new ballpark?

Btw, In order to compete with the Yankees ticket revenue, the assumed average ticket price of $40.00 at a Yankee game would have to be raised to $54.36 to attend a Red Sox game to earn the same profit.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:10 am

Mr.Reiss In case you forgot about Rodney Harrison call Ny Giants are a dirty team i? Can you please write that as well? Thanks

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/01/osi_light.html

Osi & Light
Email|Link|Comments (30) Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff January 23, 2008 04:57 PM

HBO's media relations staff passes along the following from this week's Inside the NFL show, in which Giants DE Osi Umenyiora is interviewed and stirs the pot regarding Patriots left tackle Matt Light:

Osi Umenyiora: “It was a good match up the last time. I mean, I think I got him a couple of times, he also got me a couple of times. It was a war out there and to be honest with you, I not quite sure that he thought that he was going to see me again because of some of the things he did and said during that game. But, you know, unfortunately he does have to see me again.”

Bob Costas: “Trash talking is one thing, you seem to be implying that he made some dirty moves. Did something happen outside the pale?”

Osi Umenyiora: “He was doing a couple of things that you know he shouldn’t have been.”

Osi Umenyiora: “Hitting after the delay and trying to, I don’t know if he was trying to intimidate me, I don’t know what he was trying to do, but he did a couple of things that he shouldn’t have done and, you know, now we are really going to go at it this time.”

Bob Costas: “Were there angry words?”

Osi Umenyiora: “A couple.”

When asked if the Patriots were a dirty team, Umenyiora said: "I wouldn’t call them a dirty team, I wouldn’t say that. I haven’t really experienced them as a team to be dirty. They have certain individuals like I am sure we have certain individuals who are perceived to be dirty but people wouldn’t call them a dirty team.”

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:11 am

Mike you are awesome, but I have heard ENOUGH from all of these "opposing players. Maybe the Hardwick stuff is getting to me. The NY Giants are the last team to talk about any team being dirty.
Posted by Kim January 23, 08 05:11 PM
Reply | Report this post

Another crybaby complaining about the Patriots. Dude, it's football, it's a rough emotional game... get over it.
Posted by Dave F. January 23, 08 05:45 PM
Reply | Report this post

Enough of this crap ...

Someone ask USI if he would like to play some touch football instead and then they can eat some cookies and drink some milk after the game.

Give me a break
Posted by Blair from Canada January 23, 08 05:47 PM
Reply | Report this post

Seems like a guy reputedly into coprophilia would be ok with the odd dirty move.
Posted by Tom January 23, 08 05:49 PM
Reply | Report this post

But, you know, unfortunately he does have to see me again

"Unfortunately"? Oh, Osi, Osi... you poor man, don't you understand? If anything, Mr. Light is looking forward to it!
Posted by Robert January 23, 08 05:55 PM
Reply | Report this post

Is this really what passes for bulletin board material these days? Come on. The Pats are really stretching now if they need this to get motivated.
Posted by Steve January 23, 08 06:07 PM
Reply | Report this post

Yeah, I'm getting sick of all the whining by teams that the Patriots beat. It is reminding me of all the excuses I used to hear from drug-addicted felons in a treatment program I worked at. It was never there fault, just like all these NFL players are whining that they weren't really beat by the Patriots. Can you say denial? And to believe them, somehow all these dirty plays are happening without any of the refs seeing it. Maybe someone could get the stats on unsportsmanlike penalties throughout the season and get some numbers to back-up/refute all the whining.
Posted by Jeremy January 23, 08 06:09 PM
Reply | Report this post

Kind of a "Vanilla" story. I can't see any terrible transgression. Maybe we are becoming just a little too sensative. in anycase I am sure Matt Light is not worried about seeing him again or "Really Going at it" Go Pats lets seal this deal and the dime store pundits can eat dirt.
Posted by Ray Gerrity January 23, 08 06:20 PM
Reply | Report this post

This is the stupidest thing I have read since articles about the Charger's whining. If he is going to call Light out, then call him out.
Posted by Binge January 23, 08 06:33 PM
Reply | Report this post

Not surprising to hear crap coming from Osi Umenyiora - a man who reportedly pays women to crap on him, and he on them.
Posted by bigboy January 23, 08 06:38 PM
Reply | Report this post

Osi, you wus! Light will wipe up the field with you!
Posted by Dan January 23, 08 06:46 PM
Reply | Report this post

Yeah, doesn't everyone know that all the Patriots are clean players who never do anything objectionable like leg whipping (Vrabel) or sticking fingers in peoples helmets or throwing elbows at peoples knees (Wilfork) or diving at peoples knees (Harrison). I just don't understand why people are so unfairly critical of this team!!!
Posted by yup January 23, 08 06:48 PM
Reply | Report this post

Pretty lame stuff to me. Didn't call the Pats dirty, didn't say anything derogatory about Light's abilities. Certainly Light knew they would eventually meet up again - so what? I wonder what Kaczur did to Stahan last time (it's a joke people)?
Posted by Nooner January 23, 08 06:51 PM
Reply | Report this post

Maybe we forget the game of football and what happens in the trenches. It's a no mans land where anything goes as long as you don't get caught. We play to the whistle and sacrifice everything in between. It's funny how we only hear about dirty play from the losing teams. Maybe they should stop blaming others and look inside themselves and see if they have what it takes to man up and play the game.
Posted by Bill January 23, 08 06:59 PM
Reply | Report this post

What more can you say? 1972 Dolphins trying to minimize what the Pats have and will accomplish. Opposing teams on the losing ends trying to tell the world we have dirty players, the refs want us to win, the NFL wants to sell tickets. Players, coaches, fans all dissed the Pats for stealing signals, which any team could be doing by just bringing a camera and sending someone sits on the front row.

It's all because of one thing. Jealous. That's it.
The more they whine, the better I feel.
Posted by Jeffrey January 23, 08 07:01 PM
Reply | Report this post

Wow! provocative journalism. So he was doing some things he shouldn't have been doing like HITTING and INTIMIDATING? Must have been a rough Bocce match!
Posted by William January 23, 08 07:07 PM
Reply | Report this post

As Ronald Reagan said to his opponent; "Well I ... I refuse to let my opponent's age and inexperience be a factor."

Besides, isn't this just one more chapter in the conspiracy to make sure that the Pats go 19-0? Every time these bozos make another stupid jab at the Patriots' character, the Pats get all the more motivated to beat their next opponent!

hahahaha!!!!!!!! We're gonna go 19 - 0 !
Posted by Virginia Transplant January 23, 08 07:22 PM
Reply | Report this post

Osi, Have you forgotten something? This is NFL football not the local co-ed town wiffle ball game.
Posted by steve January 23, 08 07:49 PM
Reply | Report this post

If your talking about dirty players you should start with Rodney Harrison and go on from there.
Posted by Ed January 23, 08 07:58 PM
Reply | Report this post

Osi Umenyiora: “Hitting after the delay....."

What is he talking about? What does hitting after the delay mean?
Posted by Tony January 23, 08 08:16 PM
Reply | Report this post

I think Osi is just demonstrating his lack of prepping before talking with the press by the Giants coaching staff....and is trying to exhibit bravado by standing up to Matt Light in the press, to try and overcome his feeling of having been beaten in the last game.....
And I don't think the Giants have been well liked as a team in the Boston area since at least the mid-late 60's, and by some like me since the Pats appeared in 1960, with Gino and friends doing battle with teams we had to work hard to learn the names of and learn to dislike.......
I remember the Giants when they were regular guys on a great team in the late-'50's, when they would do things like play the Green Bay Packers in an exhibition game in late-summer on the high school football field in Bangor, Maine, and follow that up with a late-night party at the Fiesta Room at the Bangor House, with Katcavage, Robustelli, Huff, Greer (entertaining with his songs), Conerly, Gifford, and Webster enjoying each other's company........
I know, because I was there at the game and at the Fiesta room, and I haven't seen a Giants team since that matched them for football entertainment until this new group came along this year, and that enjoyed the loyalty of all New England fans like they did until the 1960's..............and that's why I'm now 1960Pats Fan.....

Why does it seem like the NFL, except the Patriots, have turned into a bunch of girls?

As far as videotaping, please. Compared to the things that are done in sports these days (track and field, cycling, Clemens/Bonds, etc.) a videotape seems pretty much like something out of Leave it to Beaver.

As far as the whining 1972 Dolphins, they could care less about football. They are protecting their autograph earnings only. Give me a break. My sons would not even know who Mercury Morris is or care for his autograph. Anyone from the Pats would supercede a Dolphin in their minds.
Posted by Diane January 23, 08 08:43 PM
Reply | Report this post

You know, this stuff gets really old after a while. First it was the media blowing spygate out of all proportion. When that failed to distract the Patriots they moved on to running up the score. When that didn’t work they moved onto the blueprints and the running game. When that didn’t work they moved on to claiming Moss was dogging it. When that didn’t work they moved onto the defense. When that didn’t work they moved onto Moss’s personal life. When that didn’t work they moved onto Brady with boots and flowers and now we are onto the Pats are dirty. I am sick of it! I hope the Pats players are too and they hang 100 on the Giants and give the media the middle finger on the way to pick up the trophy!
Posted by TheBigOldDog January 23, 08 08:48 PM
Reply | Report this post

Patriots are a bunch of cheaters. I can't wait until the G-Men whoop the Pats 42-7. That's right. Brady's ankle is going to be the least of his concern once Osi's done with him. 18-1. Doesn't sound so legendary anymore does it? Hahahaha. Doom in the Desert for the Patsies. Go Giants!
Posted by Rodreg January 23, 08 08:50 PM
Reply | Report this post

Osi as the great Archie Bunker told woman (yes I called you a woman)

SHUT UP YOU!!!!!
Posted by Mikemo January 23, 08 08:53 PM
Reply | Report this post

clearly he's intimidated. simple as that.
Posted by chris January 23, 08 08:56 PM
Reply | Report this post

Can't we just talk about football.....How is Brady's ankle????
Posted by Steve January 23, 08 09:08 PM
Reply | Report this post

Did Light say something nasty or what. Anybody who has played football knows it can get heated, so not sure why he would be crying about this stuff. Im sure light is not shaking in his boots right know neither are the patriots. Everybody wants to take a shot at the Champions. Osi is probably trying to get Light so pumped up he will get an unsportsman like penalty. Keep you cool and show them the trophy after the game is done.
Posted by Barry Tebo January 23, 08 09:12 PM
Reply | Report this post

whatever osi.

maybe you are just mad at matt light because he wouldn't do this to you:

http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/2008/01/osi-umeryiora-wants-to-poop-on-you.html

he'll do it down your throat next sunday you maggott
Posted by steve January 23, 08 09:16 PM
Reply | Report this post

I think every team has players who do things their opponents don't like. Too bad; that's football and questionable play isn't exclusive with the Patriots. I'm a little tired of hearing the constant complaining and bashing of New England's players. And as far as Brady goes, he's not the first unwed father that also happens to be a professional athlete. He's a high profile player that gets an awful lot of attention; some of that attention is positive and some is negative. Anyway, the Pats and Giants will settle their "differences" on the field come February 3rd with a lot of trash talking in between.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:13 am

Mr.Vacchiano, In case you forgot about Rodney Harrison call Ny Giants are a dirty team instead rooting against them like you always do ? Can you please write that as well? Thanks

tom.rock@newsday.com

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:16 am

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/ny-sppats0124,0,3193117.story

The Patriots' record is untarnished. But what about their reputation?

More than a few players and instances have emerged in recent weeks to suggest that several New England players may be dappling in dirty conduct that, if not outside the rules, is certainly on the fringes of sportsmanship.

And that doesn't even include the fact that the Patriots were caught illegally filming the Jets' defensive signals in the season opener and punished by the league.

Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who appeared on Wednesday night's "Inside the NFL" on HBO, is the latest to weigh in with charges that Patriots tackle Matt Light was engaging in some extracurriculars when the two faced each other last month.

"It was a war out there and, to be honest with you, I'm not quite sure that he thought that he was going to see me again because of some of the things he did and said during that game," Umenyiora said. "But, you know, unfortunately he does have to see me again."

Pressed on specifics, Umenyiora said Light would hit "after the delay" and that some angry words were passed between the two Pro Bowlers.

"I don't know if he was trying to intimidate me, I don't know what he was trying to do, but he did a couple of things that he shouldn't have done and, you know, now we are really going to go at it this time," Umenyiora said.

The allegations come on the heels of Chargers center Nick Hardwick's assertions that Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour played dirty in Sunday's AFC Championship Game. Wednesday, Hardwick told a San Diego radio station that Seymour not only took some cheap shots during the game, but that he head-butted a Chargers coach during pregame warm-ups. An Internet video later surfaced in which Seymour is seen jawing with Chargers players and a coach a few minutes before the game began; no head-butt can be seen in the video.

Hardwick said Seymour engaged in "head slapping, foot stomping in the pile, and throwing punches in your back."

"There are 10 -- -- good players on that team," Hardwick was quoted as saying in a postgame tirade Sunday. "But Richard Seymour is a dirty, cheap, little pompous -- -- ."

Seymour defended his play after Hardwick's charges.

"Whatever I did, it was between the whistles," he told the Boston Globe. "Of course there is some pushing and shoving; it's a physical game. That's the way I play the game. There was nothing after the whistle, but it's a violent game and I play the game violently."

Such allegations are nothing new for the Patriots. After last year's playoff meeting, Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson called the Patriots a "classless" franchise. Safety Rodney Harrison is considered the dirtiest player in the NFL (he topped a poll among players in both 2004 and 2006).

And when the Giants and Patriots last faced each other, defensive lineman Vince Wilfork stuck his fingers into the face mask of Brandon Jacobs. While no penalty was called for that action, Wilfork was fined $15,000 by the NFL.

Asked if the Patriots play dirty, Umenyiora didn't indict the entire squad.

"I wouldn't call them a dirty team, I wouldn't say that," he said. "I haven't really experienced them as a team to be dirty.

More articles

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:18 am

I'd like to see what kind of shape Cano is in when he comes to spring training this year and maybe that's what worries the Yanks. As you may recall, last year he wasn't exactly in great shape when he showed up in Florida and he got off to a slow start. I assume the Yankees think a long term deal might take away his incentive to stay in shape. I'd ban him from going out to dinner w/ Chris Britton and Brian Bruney.

Posted by Larry M., Fl. | January 23, 2008 09:13

The maturity level of the younger players comes at different speeds. Cano's shape was an issue last year. Hopefully, his friendship with Arod has help in this manner. But signing him to a long term contract is a no brainer, add incentive clauses with shape and performance and the contact will offer stability to the player and may be a bit less expensive to the team.

Posted by DRU | January 23, 2008 09:45

I would love for the Yanks to ink Cano and Wang to long term deals, hell do it for Melk as well since we would get him on the super cheap. However I dont see the Yanks doing this. In recent years they rode out the contracts of Bernie, Mo and Posada. Last spring the popular perception was that they could have signed Mo and Jorge to multiyear contracts that were cheaper and shorter than the ones they signed this offseason. Now I cant verify that information, who knows what they were asking for before last year? I think both players wanted 3 years min, so the Yanks figured, lets ride it out. Situations like this are what make the Yanks different from every other team in the league. 29 out of 30 teams NEED to take the risk of signing these players before they hit the open market, if not they will lose them. Since the Yanks blow money on crap players all the time, its not a big deal to pay top FA dollars to good players. This is where that league leading payroll really comes into play. The Yanks dont need to risk giving out large extensions when they dont need to. They can sit back and if the player performs the way they hope, he gets rewarded with a fat new contract. Its in the Yanks best interest to wait it out and see how healthy the player is 2-3 years from now, like they will do for Cano and Wang.

Posted by Ed | January 23, 2008 11:09

I agree with Dru on waiting it out. I would love to sign Cano as middle infielders with that kind of power and plate coverage are hard to find. Plus of all positions 2b seems to carry minimal injury risk for whatever reasons. However, Wang is a different story. I don't like the idea of giving pitchers (especially hard throwers with injury history) long term deals. That being said I think it would send a wrong message to CMW to sign Cano and not him. The two will always be linked to the turnaround in organizational philosophy. With only 3 pitchers under contract for 2009 and a host of bad long term deals coming off the books there will be plenty of cash over the next few years to pay these guys when the time is right.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:21 am

Come on guys, if we were a second rate city living in the shadow of the greatest city in the world, then we might tend to behave like deprived children too.

Have pity, they only have 1 BB team, 1 football team, yada yada yada. If all of our eggs were in one basket, then we might have the tendancy to behave like menopausal childless women too.

Take pity on our little neighbor to the north.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:22 am

Here are the guys the Jets Scouts were observed talking to (I ordered it by group to made it easier to read):

Matt Forte, RB
Dantrell Savage, RB
Rafael Little, RB

Gosder Cherilus, OT
Carl Nicks, OT
Mike McGlynn, OG

Martin Rucker, TE

DeJuan Tribble, CB
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB

Darrell Robertson, DE
Ahtyba Rubin, DT

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:28 am

Football's Matt Forté Invited To Play In 2008 Senior Bowl

'
http://tulanegreenwave.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112007aaa.html

Green Wave star leads the nation with 2,007 yards; Closes out college career Saturday at East Carolina

Click here to find out more!

Nov. 20, 2007

Complete Transcript Of Tulane Football's Weekly Press Conference

NEW ORLEANS, La. - Three days after becoming just the 11th player in NCAA Division I-Bowl Subdivision history to hit the 2,000-yard rushing mark in a single season, Tulane University football standout Matt Forté was invited to participate in the 2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl, Green Wave head coach Bob Toledo announced Tuesday at the conclusion of his weekly press conference.

The announcement comes one day after Forté was snubbed by the Doak Walker Award - which is awarded annually to the nation's top running back - and Maxwell Award for the College Player of the Year as a finalist for each respective trophy. The nation's leading ground gainer with 2,007 yards and a 182.5 yard-per-game average in 2007, Forté was inexplicably left off each awards' list of three finalists.

"I've coached a lot of great of great football players, I've been around a lot of great football players, and I've coached against a lot of great football players," Toledo said. "(Forté is) one of the best football players I've ever been around, and that's in 40 years of coaching. He's special."

When asked if he thought Forté should have been named a finalist for the Walker and Maxwell Awards, Toledo quickly replied, "I certainly think so. All you have to do is look at the people ahead of him. They're hurt or they haven't performed like he's performed. Let's talk about performance. What has he done as opposed to the other guys? Of course, they'll have their arguments, too. But in my mind, there's not a better running back in the country. He is the best running back in the country."

Forté becomes the 42nd Tulane player to earn an invitation to the Senior Bowl since its inception in 1950, and the seventh since 2000. He is also the 10th back from Tulane to earn a spot on a Senior Bowl roster, joining Eddie Price and Bill Svoboda in 1950, Joe Ernst in 1951, Max McGee in 1954, Bobby Duhon in 1968, Warren Bankston in 1969, David Abercrombie in 1971, Michael Pierce in 1990, Jerald Sowell in 1997 and Mewelde Moore in 2004.

The last Green Wave standout to play in the Senior Bowl was wide receiver Roydell Willaims in 2005. Of Tulane 42 previous Senior Bowl participants, 34 have been drafted by NFL teams and 31 have gone on to play professional football.

"He'll get into the Senior Bowl and he'll play pro football and people will realize (how good Forté is)," Toledo said. "They'll be like, `Wow, where did this Matt Forté come from?' Then they'll realize he was a great football player in college."

At his current pace, Forté is on pace to finish the year with the highest yards-per-game average since Ladanian Tomlinson of TCU averaged 196.2 in 2000. His projected 2,189 yards, meanwhile, would be the highest net yards gained since Marcus Allen of USC had 2,342 in 1981 and would rank third in NCAA single-season history behind Allen and Oklahoma State's Barry Sanders (2,628 in 1988).

In addition to leading the nation in rushing yards and rushing yards per game, Forté also ranks second in the NCAA in scoring (12.18 ppg) and fourth in all-purpose yards (206.82 ypg), and his 22 rushing touchdowns ranks second nationally. He is also one of just two non-quarterbacks to rank among the NCAA's Top 100 in total offense, ranking tops among the pair at 82nd with 182.5 yards per game (all rushing).

Forté owns three of the top seven single-game rushing performances in 2007, including the top mark of 342 vs. SMU on Oct. 20. He has five 200-plus yard rushing games - including two 300-plus yard contests - in 2007, making him the only NCAA Division I-Bowl Subdivision player to accomplish the feat this season.

His five touchdowns vs. Southeastern Louisiana on Sept. 22 and at Rice last Saturday is tied for the highest scoring output this year, and Forté is the only player in the country to visit the endzone five times in a game twice in 2007.

The 2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl is slated to kickoff at 3 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 26. The game will be televised live nationally on the NFL Network.

Forté and the Green Wave return to action on Saturday, Nov. 24, when they close out the 2007 season with a noon kickoff at East Carolina. The games will be broadcast on the Tulane ISP Sports Network (local station, WIST AM 690) and live audio is available via the internet at www.TulaneGreenWave.com to registered members of the All-Access Pass. Live stats are also available free of charge on the official website of Tulane Athletics.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:31 am

Tuesday Player / Team Observations
Scott Wright
President, NFL Draft Countdown
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/obs/12208.html

Cleveland Browns

Baltimore Ravens
John David Booty

Carl Nicks
Gosder Cherilus

Trevor Laws
Peyton Hillis

Mike Pollak
Jacob Hester

Marcus Smith
Harry Douglas

Martin Rucker
Darrell Robertson

Matt Forte
Early Doucet

Quintin Demps
Steve Justice

John David Booty
Mike McGlynn

Jacob Hester
Chris Johnson

Wallace Gilberry
Eddie Royal

Peyton Hillis
Andre Caldwell

Cody Wallace
Philip Wheeler

Dorien Bryant
Brandon Coutu

Justin Forsett
Jacksonville Jaguars

Jeremy Thompson
Gosder Cherilus

Chris Williams
Washington Redskins

Kansas City Chiefs
Marcus Harrison

Sam Baker
Carl Nicks

Carl Nicks
Eddie Royal

Gosder Cherilus
Ben Moffitt

Patrick Lee
Rafael Little

Erik Ainge
Marcus Griffin

Drew Radovich
Jeremy Thompson

Chris Williams
Wesley Woodyard

Rafael Little
Erik Ainge

Philip Wheelers
Quintin Demps

Denver Broncos
Jason Jones

Dan Connor
Chris Johnson

Gary Guyton
DeJuan Tribble

Jacob Tamme
Gosder Cherilus

New Orleans Saints

Minnesota Vikings
Patrick Lee

Tracy Porter
Mike Pollak

Lavelle Hawkins
Alexis Serna

Gosder Cherilus
Martin Rucker

Early Doucet
Eddie Royal

Ali Highsmith
Dorien Bryant

Gary Guyton
Mike Dragosavich

Kellen Davis
Brad Cottam

Alexis Serna
Donnie Avery

Terrell Thomas
Seattle Seahawks

New York Jets
DeMario Pressley

DeJuan Tribble
Steve Justice

Matt Forte
Patrick Lee

Gosder Cherilus
San Diego Chargers

Philadelphia Eagles
Cliff Avril

D. Rodgers-Cromartie
Kellen Davis

Thomas DeCoud
Titus Brown

Simeon Castille
Jason Jones

Atlanta Falcons
Marcus Smith

John Sullivan
Darrell Robertson

Harry Douglas
Donnie Avery

Rafael Little
Jeremy Thompson

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Carolina Panthers

John Sullivan
Andre Fluellen

Dorien Bryant

Matt Forte

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:33 am

I heard Sedrick Ellis was grabbing a lot of attention from Bradway. As in, we were giving him very serious consideration.

Some say he would be large enough to handle the nose.

Any insight from practice attendees?
I think this is more for covering the bases in case any other prospects they are looking at are picked ahead of them, and also if they cant trade down.

As for Ellis, it sounds to me like he is more of a 34 LB than lineman, but he maybe too big for that. He is a bad fit for our D in my opinion, but I could be wrong.
C-Mart28 is offline Reply With Quote

The 285lb listing was from draftcountdown, no? They also claim that he has maxed out his frame (at 285), which is clearly nonsense because this week he was weighed in at 308 and measured at 6008, (a hair under 6'1).

Apparently he's having one hell of a week because he's shot up a lot of recently updated mocks. "Walterfootball" says he's solidified a top-five position in this draft.

Check out this forum:
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ad.php?t=17343

on edit:
A poster on this thread points out the similarities to Drob with the difference being Ellis' strength. He has benched 500+, and LAST YEAR threw up 41 reps (of 225) to Drob's 30. Maybe combine time will see an increase. Point is, he is only 12 lbs away from being a respectable 320; he holds his weight low and with good leverage; and can grow into a Wilfork/Hampton like player.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down