Jan 24, 2008 2:03 pm - Read: Outfielders Who are Still Avail

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Jan 24, 2008 2:03 pm - Read: Outfielders Who are Still Avail

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:44 pm

Metro2007 wrote:
Luis Alfredo (Caracas, Venezuela): Keith, what do you now about Santana going to the Mets ? In the news here they are saying he is almost a Met.

Keith Law: (2:02 PM ET ) I think there's a solid chance, because I've thought all along the Red Sox were dilettantes - they either wanted to make the Yanks overpay or to see him in the NL, but they didn't want to give up all that young, cheap talent for him.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:45 pm

Scouting Report
Assets
Murton boasts decent plate discipline and power that still seems to be developing, not to mention good speed on the bases. Hits well against lefties and righties.
Flaws
He has the strength to hit the ball a ton, but he needs to adjust his swing to get the ball out of the park more often. On defense, he doesn't have much of an arm in the outfield.
Career potential
Decent everyday left-fielder.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:46 pm

Jan 24, 2008 3:21 pm - Blog: Questions for the NL East

...posted by Brandon Eddy...

At ESPN.com, Buster Olney breaks down the Open-Ended Questions that Face Every Team at the start of spring training.

For the Mets, Olney asks:

“Who will take the ball at the front end of the Mets’ rotation, and is that good enough to overcome the Phillies, Braves and the mental ghosts of last September?”

…i can answer this one, if the Mets get Johan Santana…everything else else is irrelevant...

As for the rest of the National League East, Olney inquires:

“Braves: Can John Smoltz, Tom Glavine and Mike Hampton take the ball for 85-90 starts?

“Phillies: Will Brad Lidge be dominant Brad Lidge, or will he give the Philly fans reason to boo him?

“Marlins: Can the stable of injured young starters bounce back?

“Nationals: How will their new ballpark play, and how will it affect the current group of players?”

…added to by Matthew Cerrone…

…brandon is right…and this is exactly why i am so eager for this santana story to end…

…it’s just so hard to start analyzing the Mets and 2008, because with one swift move the entire dynamic could change…

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:53 pm

Yeah, if they get the option years then I like this a lot. If not, then meh, it really just prevents the Yanks from having to go to arbitration 4 times.

Agreed, and if you look at how the contract plays out on the average - 7.5MM/year for his arbitration years - Cano can think about it as getting a bit more money up front.

Cano's team asked for 4.55MM this year, by the average value of the proposed contract, he'll get $3MM more now. In three more years perhaps he's able to ask for $10MM in arbitration - and get it - but, on average, he already got that $2.5MM he's "giving up" in the 2008 season.

It's true that Cano might end up getting more money if he went to arbitration for all four years and then went out on the market (or threatned to) to get a big free agent contract in his first year of eligibility, but hey - this $30MM will be guaranteed, no matter what happens to him over the next four years.

Sounds like a win-win to me. And an encouraging sign from the Yankees brass.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Robinson Cano-2B-Yankees Jan. 24 - 3:02 pm et

Robinson Cano's four-year deal with the Yankees could include options for 2012 and 2013, according to SI's Jon Heyman.
That makes more sense from the Yankees' perspective. Because of the way it'd count against the luxury tax, they wouldn't save much if any money by signing him through his arbitration years. If, on the other hand, it got them discounts on his free agent seasons, it might be worth it. 2012 would be Cano's first year of free agency.
Source: SI.com

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Robinson Cano's four-year deal with the Yankees could include options for 2012 and 2013, according to SI's Jon Heyman.
That makes more sense from the Yankees' perspective. Because of the way it'd count against the luxury tax, they wouldn't save much if any money by signing him through his arbitration years. If, on the other hand, it got them discounts on his free agent seasons, it might be worth it. 2012 would be Cano's first year of free agency.
Source: SI.com

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:00 pm

D-Backs set to make Foulke offer

Nick Piecoro
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 23, 2008 11:25 PM
Representatives from more than 20 teams watched former major league reliever Keith Foulke throw off a mound last week in Tempe. The Diamondbacks were among them, and they seem to have been adequately impressed to pursue the former All-Star closer.

The Diamondbacks have spoken with Foulke's agent in recent days and appear poised to make an offer to the right-hander - if they haven't done so already.

Foulke, who is attempting a return to the majors after not pitching last season, was one of baseball's best relievers from 1999 to 2004 before injuries sidetracked his career.

Over the past several years, he has had knee, back and elbow problems. He walked away from a $5 million contract with Cleveland in 2007, retiring before reporting to spring training because, he said, his body wasn't responding as it had in previous years.

But Foulke, 35, has been on the comeback trail since undergoing surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow in September.

Pitching for the Diamondbacks appears to be a preference for Foulke. He resides in Glendale and has connections to the team; GM Josh Byrnes and assistant GM Peter Woodfork came from Boston, where Foulke pitched from 2004-2006.

"Yeah, definitely they are one of his top choices," said Dan Horwits, Foulke's agent. "If it works out, he would love to pitch there. There are other teams he is interested in as well, but Arizona is on the top of the list."

Foulke threw last Thursday at a training facility in Tempe. According to two people who were there, Foulke looked healthy, his arm action clean, his secondary pitches good.

His fastball was in the 81-84 mph range. Foulke has long relied on his change-up, but he would probably need to add more velocity. That could come during spring training, as it does for many pitchers as they work their arms into shape. Foulke pitched successfully in the past with a fastball that sat around 88 or 89 mph.

The Diamondbacks likely won't offer more than a one-year contract, envisioning Foulke not as one of their primary late-inning relievers but as a bridge to those pitchers, a role that Bob Wickman filled last September.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:02 pm

Yankees may be close with Cano

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/01/24/yankees-may-be-close-with-cano/#comments

The Yankees appear ready to break tradition and give a long-term contract to one of their arbitration-eligible players.

Robinson Cano is reportedly close to a four-year, $30 million deal. Because of his service time, this is the first of four years Cano would be eligible for arbitration. His agent, Bobby Barad, asked for $4.55 million last week. The Yankees countered with $3.2 million.

This deal would be similar to what the Mets did for David Wright (6 years, $55 million) and Jose Reyes (4 years, $23.25 million) last season.

The Mets hold an option year on Wright and Reyes. The Cano deal would likely have a option as well.

13 Responses to “Yankees may be close with Cano”

1. Catherine January 24th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

In Yankeeland long term is 4 years. I am happy to lock him up though, he’s a special player
2. nettles January 24th, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Sometimes, it’s smart to break with tradition. Good move.
3. J-Dawg January 24th, 2008 at 3:45 pm

It’s an excellent move for the Yankees to lock up Cano. He is only going to get better as he gets into the prime of his career. When he develops the proper amount of maturation at the plate, he can become one of the best hitters in the game. The potential is definitely there.
4. GreenBeret7 January 24th, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Sports Illustrated is also reporting the same thing with two additional team option years tacked on to buy out his first two years of free agency.
5. Stewman23 January 24th, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Just curious…does anybody with more knowledge on the arbitration process have an idea what Cano might be able to fetch come his final year of arbitration…assuming he were to not get a long term contract and continue his success?
6. Buddy Biancalana January 24th, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Since the Yankees are breaking tradition, I vote for putting the last names on back of their home uniforms. Just Kidding.
7. Mike January 24th, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I would be very happy to see Cano in pinstripes for a long time.
8. hmmm January 24th, 2008 at 3:51 pm

“does anybody with more knowledge on the arbitration process have an idea what Cano might be able to fetch come his final year of arbitration…”

it’s really tough to say. inflation keeps driving salaries higher.

if he keeps performing at the high level he has been, something like $4M in 2008, $7M in 2009, $9M in 2010, and $12M in 2011 is not out of the question.

figure between $10M-12M??
9. MJ January 24th, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Here’s my question: if Cano’s side asked for $4.5M and the Yanks countered with $3.2M, why would they now be offering $8M/season?

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Yanks are smart to lock up a good young player at a key defensive position for a long-term deal below market prices. But I don’t fully get the logic of going low in their arbitration offer and then basically doubling up Cano’s request.
10. Boston Dave January 24th, 2008 at 3:55 pm

apparently this will negatively impact the yanks in terms of luxury tax so they better make up for that by getting 2 cheap free agent years out of it. Otherwise, just let him go to arb. for the next 4 yrs.
11. GreenBeret7 January 24th, 2008 at 3:58 pm

MJ, within two years, at the rate Cano is progressing as an offensive and defensive force, 8 million a year will be a bargin.
12. Chris NY January 24th, 2008 at 3:58 pm

MJ, I was thinking the same thing, but it seems like it’s more about the coming 3 years.. meaning, 7.5/year over 4 years probably balances out to at least what he would cost through the arbitration process over those 4 years (going to arbitration each year, amount going up each year).

The team options in the end are were the Yankees gain. Otherwise, seems like it would be a relative was, since we had him under our control those 4 years anyway.

Now, whatever the team options are, lock him up for another year or two at a cost probably lower than he’d get as a free agent.

Good move, he’s as much if not more the future of this team than anyone.
13. MJ January 24th, 2008 at 3:59 pm

GreenBeret7, I hear that.

Maybe the contract is structured so that he only makes $4M now and it escalates in years 2-4 (plus options)?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Boston fans blame everyone else but the team on the field. If Arod strikes out, people blame Arod. If Ortiz strikes out, Boston blames the Yankee payrol, or how their schedule was unfair. They just make excuses.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:04 pm

This is a good discussion. Rabid fans are just not that much different from NY to Boston. How much crying about Papelbon's antics are there on the mound yet Joba's exagerated fist pump is fine. How many threads get posted on here where everyone is complaining about how bias the media is against the Yanks, Espn is biased against the Yanks, Major League Baseball is biased against the Yanks, The umpires are biased against the Yanks? Since Boston started winning, I am finding Yankee fans to be acting like pre '04 Sox fans. I've played sports and perhaps you've played sports. Sometimes you just get beat.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Fenway Park isn’t getting any younger and that will not help the Red Sox [team stats] compete on the revenue front with the Yankees and Mets in the years to come, team owner John Henry pointed out yesterday.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1068679

Also gives some info about the Johan trade...

Also gives some info about the Johan trade...

I absolutely think teams in these types of situations should build a new ballpark. Ideally, the new ballpark would look like the old one in as many ways as possible. Similar colors, outfield fence dimensions, retain the Monster, etc, but just add in the new comforts of the latest and greatest parks.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:10 pm

That's a pretty economical deal considering they are paying Jeter 20 million for similar production and A-Rod 25+ mil for better production. Not to mention, all the dead weight on that team.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:11 pm

January 24, 2008
Injured Seubert: 'I'll be on the field'

Giants guard Rich Seubert is one of the toughest athletes I’ve ever covered, so this should come as no surprise to anyone:

Asked today if his injured right knee would be OK in time for Super Bowl XLII, Seubert looked straight ahead and said “I’ll be on the field.”

There was really no need to say anything else. And there was really never a doubt about that.

Hall of Famer Jim Brown, speaking on Fox GameTime ReAct with JT “The Brick” (no I don’t know what any of that is) yesterday, had this to say about the Giants, in particular their defensive line:

“That line that the Giants have is very dominant. A lot people don’t understand what that brings. They have one of the best groups of athletes up there that you have ever seen. They are prone for an upset, they’re in a perfect position for an upset.

“But I don’t think they’re going to get it.”

The crowd in the press room is about 10 times the size that it was at any point during the regular season, and probably triple the size it was during the week before the NFC championship game. I don’t know who 80% of these people are, but I wish someone would tell them the bandwagon is full.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:12 pm

anuary 24, 2008
Super Bowl practice begins in the bubble

The Giants are back to work, practicing for Super Bowl XLII.

Nope, writing it down doesn’t make it sound any less ridiculous.

Almost all of them were out inside the practice bubble this afternoon, with the notable exceptions of CB Kevin Dockery (hip) and LG Rich Seubert (knee). Both players were working with trainers on the sidelines. Seubert was wearing a big brace on his right knee.

As usual, the media was booted from the bubble right after the individual drills, so we don’t know yet if Tom Coughlin planned to hold anyone else out of the team drills. Keep in mind, though, he doesn’t have to issue an injury report until Wednesday, so he probably won’t.

Meanwhile, Hank Gola, who’s on the Patriots beat for the Daily News up in Foxborough, said Bill Belichick would not discuss injuries at all with the press (Shocked! Shocked, I am!). Belichick also wouldn’t say whether Tom Brady and his now famous foot are practicing.

Hank did say that the Patriots really had no reaction to Osi Umenyiora’s assertion that Matt Light is a dirty player. Hopefully, then, that will be the end of that.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2