Go down

Klapisch: Time to act, Mets

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:07 am

Klapisch: Time to act, Mets
Saturday, January 26, 2008
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/yankees/Klapisch_Time_to_act_Mets.html

BY BOB KLAPISCH
COLUMNIST

Colleague Steve Popper offered the Mets sound advice in Wednesday's Record, urging them to hurry up and trade for Johan Santana. Whatever it takes, is the message Omar Minaya needs to hear, because unless Santana is wearing a Mets' uniform by opening day, they can forget about winning the East in 2008.

This is no doomsday prediction. The Mets have been in decline ever since Carlos Beltran looked at strike three in Game 7 of the NL Championship Series in 2006. The ghosts hung around last year, ruining what should've been a smooth ride to the playoffs. That means the Mets are 0-for-2 in the two seasons during which they've had the most talent in the National League and its biggest payroll. Willie Randolph has to prove he still has the clubhouse (not to mention use the bullpen more prudently), which means his job is on the line.

What the Mets need is a front-of-the-rotation star: obviously, it's Santana they crave. But Minaya thus far has been unable to pry the left-handed ace away from the Twins, partly because GM Bill Smith is still hoping the Yankees will change their minds about trading Phil Hughes. The Red Sox? They're on the periphery, but without any intense longing to make this deal.

The Mets, on the other hand, are ready to open the vault of minor league talent, but the fact that the Twins haven't yet responded tells you they're less than thrilled about Minaya's prospects. But the Mets shouldn't feel snubbed. Despite recent speculation that the Mets are in the lead in these sweepstakes, truth is, all three suitors - Mets, Yankees and Red Sox - all are in the dark about Smith's intentions.

"Haven't heard a word," is how one Met insider characterized recent talks with the Twins. That should change quickly, as the Twins have every intention of moving Santana before the start of spring training. No one is more motivated to sweet-talk the Twins than the Mets, which is why they still believe Santana will soon be theirs.

Unlike the Yankees or Red Sox, the Mets aren't worried about Santana's asking price ($20 million) or length of a new contract (seven years) or even the 33 home runs he allowed last year, the result of his diminished velocity down the stretch. In the light-hitting NL, Santana's change-up will be unhittable.

Without him, however, the Mets are the same team that suffered the worst regular-season collapse in major league history - minus Tom Glavine's 13 wins. Pedro Martinez will be available all year, it's true. But he's a year older. So is Carlos Delgado.

There are many fine individual components here - Beltran, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Billy Wagner - but the sum of these parts somehow feels less than then whole. The Mets can thank the Phillies for that: they go into '08 believing Randolph's team, while cosmetically impressive, is soft.

The Phillies have every reason to feel that way, of course. The Mets need a drastic, sea-change event to reverse their slide, both in the standings and in their rivals' perception of them. Santana is the antidote. Without him, those ghosts could be a problem again this summer.

News item: Yankees, Robinson Cano Agree in principle on long-term deal.

Smart move from a team that has historically made its young stars earn their money on a year-by-year basis. The Yankees made Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams squirm, which ultimately cost them millions, and they were still refusing to bend the rules last spring, when they could've signed Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera without forcing them to test the free agent market.

Cano, along with Chien-Ming Wang, are core members of the franchise and worth a multi-year investment. The proposed deal for Cano - four years, $30 million - makes economic sense, instills good will in the clubhouse, and keeps the second baseman away from free agency until 2014, if the Yankees exercise their options in the fifth and sixth years.

Early on, a few of Cano's teammates were worried about his work-habits; he arrived in spring in 2006 nearly 20 pounds heavier than at the conclusion of the '05 season. Cano has since developed a subtle grace in the field than can be mistaken for nonchalance. In that sense, he's the anti-Jose Reyes.

But Cano already is an elite-caliber hitter who respects his skills. This contract suggests the Yankees consider him a keeper, just like Jeter, Posada and Rivera.

News item: Johnny Damon receives community service award.

The Yankees' outfielder, one of the true good guys in the game, will be honored by the New York Chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America during its annual dinner in Manhattan on Sunday night. Damon will receive the Joan Payson Award for community service, a citation he's earned many times over.

Most recently, Damon has become a national spokesman for the Wounded Warrior Project, which helps injured veterans returning from Iraq. Damon, whose father was a career Army NCO, has made several visits to veterans hospitals and recently attended a fund-raising event on his birthday instead of spending time with his family.

Presenting the award to Damon will be U.S. Army Capt. Tony Odierno, a West Point graduate who was assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division. Odierno was injured in Iraq on Aug. 21, 2004 when he and the Humvee he was riding in were struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.

Odierno lost his left arm in the attack; he now attends the Stern School of Business at New York University, where he is pursuing his MBA.

Colleague Steve Popper offered the Mets sound advice in Wednesday's Record, urging them to hurry up and trade for Johan Santana. Whatever it takes, is the message Omar Minaya needs to hear, because unless Santana is wearing a Mets' uniform by opening day, they can forget about winning the East in 2008.

This is no doomsday prediction. The Mets have been in decline ever since Carlos Beltran looked at strike three in Game 7 of the NL Championship Series in 2006. The ghosts hung around last year, ruining what should've been a smooth ride to the playoffs. That means the Mets are 0-for-2 in the two seasons during which they've had the most talent in the National League and its biggest payroll. Willie Randolph has to prove he still has the clubhouse (not to mention use the bullpen more prudently), which means his job is on the line.

What the Mets need is a front-of-the-rotation star: obviously, it's Santana they crave. But Minaya thus far has been unable to pry the left-handed ace away from the Twins, partly because GM Bill Smith is still hoping the Yankees will change their minds about trading Phil Hughes. The Red Sox? They're on the periphery, but without any intense longing to make this deal.

The Mets, on the other hand, are ready to open the vault of minor league talent, but the fact that the Twins haven't yet responded tells you they're less than thrilled about Minaya's prospects. But the Mets shouldn't feel snubbed. Despite recent speculation that the Mets are in the lead in these sweepstakes, truth is, all three suitors - Mets, Yankees and Red Sox - all are in the dark about Smith's intentions.

"Haven't heard a word," is how one Met insider characterized recent talks with the Twins. That should change quickly, as the Twins have every intention of moving Santana before the start of spring training. No one is more motivated to sweet-talk the Twins than the Mets, which is why they still believe Santana will soon be theirs.

Unlike the Yankees or Red Sox, the Mets aren't worried about Santana's asking price ($20 million) or length of a new contract (seven years) or even the 33 home runs he allowed last year, the result of his diminished velocity down the stretch. In the light-hitting NL, Santana's change-up will be unhittable.

Without him, however, the Mets are the same team that suffered the worst regular-season collapse in major league history - minus Tom Glavine's 13 wins. Pedro Martinez will be available all year, it's true. But he's a year older. So is Carlos Delgado.

There are many fine individual components here - Beltran, David Wright, Jose Reyes, Billy Wagner - but the sum of these parts somehow feels less than then whole. The Mets can thank the Phillies for that: they go into '08 believing Randolph's team, while cosmetically impressive, is soft.

The Phillies have every reason to feel that way, of course. The Mets need a drastic, sea-change event to reverse their slide, both in the standings and in their rivals' perception of them. Santana is the antidote. Without him, those ghosts could be a problem again this summer.

News item: Yankees, Robinson Cano Agree in principle on long-term deal.

Smart move from a team that has historically made its young stars earn their money on a year-by-year basis. The Yankees made Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams squirm, which ultimately cost them millions, and they were still refusing to bend the rules last spring, when they could've signed Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera without forcing them to test the free agent market.

Cano, along with Chien-Ming Wang, are core members of the franchise and worth a multi-year investment. The proposed deal for Cano - four years, $30 million - makes economic sense, instills good will in the clubhouse, and keeps the second baseman away from free agency until 2014, if the Yankees exercise their options in the fifth and sixth years.

Early on, a few of Cano's teammates were worried about his work-habits; he arrived in spring in 2006 nearly 20 pounds heavier than at the conclusion of the '05 season. Cano has since developed a subtle grace in the field than can be mistaken for nonchalance. In that sense, he's the anti-Jose Reyes.

But Cano already is an elite-caliber hitter who respects his skills. This contract suggests the Yankees consider him a keeper, just like Jeter, Posada and Rivera.

News item: Johnny Damon receives community service award.

The Yankees' outfielder, one of the true good guys in the game, will be honored by the New York Chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America during its annual dinner in Manhattan on Sunday night. Damon will receive the Joan Payson Award for community service, a citation he's earned many times over.

Most recently, Damon has become a national spokesman for the Wounded Warrior Project, which helps injured veterans returning from Iraq. Damon, whose father was a career Army NCO, has made several visits to veterans hospitals and recently attended a fund-raising event on his birthday instead of spending time with his family.

Presenting the award to Damon will be U.S. Army Capt. Tony Odierno, a West Point graduate who was assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division. Odierno was injured in Iraq on Aug. 21, 2004 when he and the Humvee he was riding in were struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.

Odierno lost his left arm in the attack; he now attends the Stern School of Business at New York University, where he is pursuing his MBA.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Klapisch: Time to act, Mets

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:13 am

Yanks ready to pass on Santana

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/yankees/Yanks_ready_to_pass_on_Santana.html

WAYNE -- Seated on stage next to Boston's Theo Epstein, the general manager of his sworn rival, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was asked Friday night about the pursuit of Minnesota's Johan Santana.

Careful not to speak about another club's player, Cashman talked instead about his own pitching prospects. "My strong recommendation is to keep our young starting staff," Cashman said -- a comment that drew enthusiastic applause from many of the 922 people at William Paterson University's Shea Auditorium.

With comic exaggeration, Epstein applauded, too.

"Despite the fact that there's this huge rivalry going on, there's always a respect factor," Cashman had said before he and his Red Sox counterpart -- and friend -- took part in the school's Distinguished Lecture Series.

When moderator Kevin Burkhardt, of SNY, inquired about the origins of a friendship that exists amid this baseball blood war, Epstein said the two keep up a healthy dialogue all season, exchanging verbal pats on the back and sympathy.

"He's going through a lot of the same things I'm going through," Epstein said. But they never talk trades.

"My first year [as GM], I threw out a proposal to him," Epstein said, nodding toward Cashman. "And I'm still waiting to hear back."

There's a reason the Red Sox haven't made an aggressive move yet toward Santana. Boston and the Yanks are a little closer in organizational theories these days, and both GMs spoke of spending more on global development on players, and less on veterans -- especially free agents.

"Just staying out of the free agent market, we consider it a victory," Epstein said.

Cashman mentioned that both organizations have more internal choices, and further suggested that the Yankees are out of the Santana market -- for now.

"Long term, I think the franchise is going to be very happy with what they have," Cashman said of a starting staff that should include Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain (though he might begin the season in the bullpen to limit his innings) and eventually Ian Kennedy. "I'm married to that process, and I want to see it through."

Though Cashman said he believes he has a championship-caliber club, he cautioned that "we still have pitching staff that is in transition," and spoke of the importance of Andy Pettitte, Chien-Ming Wang and Mike Mussina to do the heavy lifting.

For a $37 ticket, the audience received a candid and often humorous exchange by the stewards of baseball's largest payrolls. Earlier this month, Cashman appeared at a similar event in Boston with Epstein.

During the audience question and answer period, Cashman said he felt that Bernie Williams' devotion to music "took away" from his play and contributed to a "terrible" 2005 season.

At times late in Williams' career, Cashman thought that manager Joe Torre "was looking for ways to play Bernie instead of guys who could help us win."

Epstein spoke of the stark isolation he felt after trading Boston icon Nomar Garciaparra, and admitted to taking a sleeping pill to help him through the night.

Cashman said that Bobby Abreu and Johnny Damon were out of shape last spring, and pledged that wouldn't be the case this year. Responding to an audience member question about Damon, Epstein said the Red Sox passed on re-signing him because they felt his most productive years were over.

"That's hardly a slap at Brian," Epstein said. "We signed Ramiro Mendoza."

Of course, Cashman sees the world champion Red Sox as the current favorites. "Until somebody takes it away from them, they'll have that additional swagger," Cashman said.

E-mail: caldera@northjersey.com

WAYNE -- Seated on stage next to Boston's Theo Epstein, the general manager of his sworn rival, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman was asked Friday night about the pursuit of Minnesota's Johan Santana.

Careful not to speak about another club's player, Cashman talked instead about his own pitching prospects. "My strong recommendation is to keep our young starting staff," Cashman said -- a comment that drew enthusiastic applause from many of the 922 people at William Paterson University's Shea Auditorium.

With comic exaggeration, Epstein applauded, too.

"Despite the fact that there's this huge rivalry going on, there's always a respect factor," Cashman had said before he and his Red Sox counterpart -- and friend -- took part in the school's Distinguished Lecture Series.

When moderator Kevin Burkhardt, of SNY, inquired about the origins of a friendship that exists amid this baseball blood war, Epstein said the two keep up a healthy dialogue all season, exchanging verbal pats on the back and sympathy.

"He's going through a lot of the same things I'm going through," Epstein said. But they never talk trades.

"My first year [as GM], I threw out a proposal to him," Epstein said, nodding toward Cashman. "And I'm still waiting to hear back."

There's a reason the Red Sox haven't made an aggressive move yet toward Santana. Boston and the Yanks are a little closer in organizational theories these days, and both GMs spoke of spending more on global development on players, and less on veterans -- especially free agents.

"Just staying out of the free agent market, we consider it a victory," Epstein said.

Cashman mentioned that both organizations have more internal choices, and further suggested that the Yankees are out of the Santana market -- for now.

"Long term, I think the franchise is going to be very happy with what they have," Cashman said of a starting staff that should include Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain (though he might begin the season in the bullpen to limit his innings) and eventually Ian Kennedy. "I'm married to that process, and I want to see it through."

Though Cashman said he believes he has a championship-caliber club, he cautioned that "we still have pitching staff that is in transition," and spoke of the importance of Andy Pettitte, Chien-Ming Wang and Mike Mussina to do the heavy lifting.

For a $37 ticket, the audience received a candid and often humorous exchange by the stewards of baseball's largest payrolls. Earlier this month, Cashman appeared at a similar event in Boston with Epstein.

During the audience question and answer period, Cashman said he felt that Bernie Williams' devotion to music "took away" from his play and contributed to a "terrible" 2005 season.

At times late in Williams' career, Cashman thought that manager Joe Torre "was looking for ways to play Bernie instead of guys who could help us win."

Epstein spoke of the stark isolation he felt after trading Boston icon Nomar Garciaparra, and admitted to taking a sleeping pill to help him through the night.

Cashman said that Bobby Abreu and Johnny Damon were out of shape last spring, and pledged that wouldn't be the case this year. Responding to an audience member question about Damon, Epstein said the Red Sox passed on re-signing him because they felt his most productive years were over.

"That's hardly a slap at Brian," Epstein said. "We signed Ramiro Mendoza."

Of course, Cashman sees the world champion Red Sox as the current favorites. "Until somebody takes it away from them, they'll have that additional swagger," Cashman said.

E-mail: caldera@northjersey.com

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:19 am

Ken, here's a thought...if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. I am, and have been, quite critical of my team both on these forums and in real life. In fact, I feel that as a die-hard, life-long, former season-ticket holding Yankee fan I can do so more than non-Yankee fans. But at the same time I can surely roll with the punches and accept criticism both of myself and of my team when and where it is warranted unlike your paper-thin ego. If you are truely "done defending (your) self" than do us all a favor- both Yankee fans and non-Yankee fans alike posting worthwhile thoughts here- and stay out of Yankee forums. Vios con dios crybaby and don't let the door hit you in the a$$ as you leave!

Ken and anybody else on here who is crying about the Yankees or Red Sox spending crazy money see that the poor, small-market, financially-strapped Minnesota Twins just spent 8M per year on future hall-of-famer Michael Cuddyer? Michael Cuddyer? Cry me a friggin river when Santana stays for this year and walks in 09 Jesse Ventura!

Sox08...you know I agree that players' salaries are out of control, but the MLB Owners created this mess and now have to live with it's ramifications good or bad!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:23 am

The Yankees were right for locking up CANO for 4 years. Not to sound biased to any one, but CANO and Dustin Pedroia are probably the best Second baseman in the American League and they both come from the AL EAST. They both can hit and play exceptional defense.

Hey ken, I'm pretty sure Peyton wouldn't have taken that pay cut if it weren't for the salary cap; you can keep posting about these high salaries, but the Yanks depth has never been hurt because of them. Its not the Yanks fault there is no salary cap in baseball... that "fault" belongs to the owners and Players Association (btw: the Player's Assoc. is all in favor of these kinds of crazy salaries).

Post a Comment

Join the discussion. Here you'll see the comments in the order that they were posted.

131 - 140 of 230 First | < Previous | Next > | Last
Christian, I don't know exactly how MLS sales are distributed, but I know the Galaxy themselves see a portion of that revenue, not to mention the advertising it puts on everyone's chest.
SoCal, I wouldn't classify 2004 as Utley's first FULL year. I don't believe he even hit 300 plate appearances. If he did hit 300, I know it wasn't very far over. His two first full years would've been 2005 and 2006 when he hit .291 and around .310, respectively. Pardon me for not getting the exact stats, I'm a little swamped right now, but always can make a little time for good baseball talk.
Mark posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:18 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 132 Dedrick,
That will be the cry of the Red Sox Nation, Yankees win because they brought a championship. Then Boston will go out and pay a posting fee for another import and sign another retread like Schilling.
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:19 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 133 Dedrick,
That will be the cry of the Red Sox Nation, Yankees win because they brought a championship. Then Boston will go out and pay a posting fee for another import and sign another retread like Schilling.
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:19 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 134 Innings/schminnings, Slick! Once teams got a second (or more) look at him, Dice was getting lit up. If the Sox keep scoring runs like they do, he could be a 20 game winner sometime, but that won't happen until he cuts at least 1/2 run off his ERA and cuts his BB's by at least 1/3. Do you not think if he doesn't win 20 games this year than the Boston fans will start eating him alive and he will run scared much the same way the Yankee fans did to Hideki Irabu? And just what "issues" do you see with Cano Dr Freud?
SoCal Yanks Fan posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:19 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 135 Christian....are you sure about the "crystal ball"???? Seems like the Boston fans know everything about the yankees and how their stars are going to do before the season starts. If that "Crystal Ball" works so well, why didn't it tell you that your team would be without a world series trophy for so long. Oh yeah, it only says good things about the Red Sox and bad things about the Yankees.
Dedrick A posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:21 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 136 #129
Are you trying to do the Mets' chant?
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:21 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 137 Dedrick,
That Crystall ball also tells them that no one in their team ever uses steroids, or was that Senator Mitchell?
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:22 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 138 Mark,
The MLS reminds me of Sirius radio and Beckham is their Howard Stern.
Same thing with the advertisements and all. I think that in soccer generally everyone advertises on the jerseys. One day you may see the Tigers with Ford trucks on their jerseys and the Mariners with Microsoft on theirs.
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:24 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 139 "why didn't it tell you that your team would be without a world series trophy for so long. Oh yeah, it only says good things about the Red Sox and bad things about the Yankees."

OK, made a typo. Meant to say "why didn't it tell them that their team"
Dedrick A posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 4:25 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 140 "why didn't it tell you that your team would be without a world series trophy for so long. Oh yeah, it only says good things about the Red Sox and bad things about the Yankees."

OK, made a typo. Meant to say "why didn't it tell them that their team"

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:25 am

Bretski,
Even if he hit .297 then it would still be great for the 8th hitter in the lineup. I'm not going to act with Cano the way Met fans act with Jose Reyes but if the guy can keep his average at around .300 (which is very possible) that's great.

The Yankees got A-Rod for Soriano. I believe Soriano was traded for swinging at every pitch and for not delivering during the 2003 World Series. I'd take A-Rod over Soriano any day of the week.
Nonetheless, you bring up a great point. They are starting to develop their youth which is assurance that they won't go back to the horrible 80's of trading away the youth for washed up has-beens.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:26 am

# Bretski,
Even if he hit .297 then it would still be great for the 8th hitter in the lineup. I'm not going to act with Cano the way Met fans act with Jose Reyes but if the guy can keep his average at around .300 (which is very possible) that's great.

The Yankees got A-Rod for Soriano. I believe Soriano was traded for swinging at every pitch and for not delivering during the 2003 World Series. I'd take A-Rod over Soriano any day of the week.
Nonetheless, you bring up a great point. They are starting to develop their youth which is assurance that they won't go back to the horrible 80's of trading away the youth for washed up has-beens.
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:40 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 112 Bretski,

--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:40 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 113 #105, Ken, someone in professional sports actually does make more than ARod, as crazy as it is. David Beckham signed a 5-year, $250mln contract with the LA Galaxy. So far that deal has been more sizzle than steak. Beckham has been average at best (when healthy) and the majority of his contract was given to him assuming he alone would drastically increase pro soccer popularity in the US. So far he hasn't done that.
Mark posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:40 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 114 #109
So getting Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera isn't part of trying to 'buy' a championship? I know those guys make a lot more than the prospects they sent to the Marlins. Kenny Rogers couldn't seal the deal for the kitty cats even with his hand full of castrol oil in 2006 though. From your post you would think the last time the Tiger won was in 2006, not in 1984.
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:45 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 115 Mark,
I know this isn't a soccer forum but I'm sure the Galaxy may be losing some money in that deal, huh?
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:48 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 116 Haha. Probably Christian. Still too early to say though. One thing is for sure, I see Beckham's Galaxy jersey everywhere. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but of all pro sports combined, that has to be one of the top selling jerseys. Sadly, him coming to the MLS didn't boost soccer's popularity, but instead his own.
Mark posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:51 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 117 GO CANO! No one else like the speed talking, slick fielding, big hitter CANO!!!!!!
Jeremy posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:54 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 118 christian and socal fan,
i, too,am a REDSOX fan(since the days of rice,yaz,lynn,hobson,boggs,and yes,buckner),but more than that, Im a baseball fan.....i appreciate good(great) players from all teams......and the yankees have had their share......Long live baseball!
gunrunner posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:55 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 119 Ken (if you are the ral ken who is not the fake ken...yada, yada, yada) Why must you constantly bring up the same financial cancers all the time (Blo-vano, Juice-ambi, Clemens et al) and then have me remind you that they will come off the payroll after this year? Posada and Riviera's signings were based on performance and loyalty to the organization. Thus the reason for locking up Cano and standing pat on the Santana deal- the new front office philosophy is hanging on to the young players and developing championship teams from within the farm system. I will agree that for every Beckett success there are 20 Mark Priors who die on the vine for one reason or another. Do you actually think that Dice K (see, not Douche K) is worth the 50M plus his salary after his mediocre at best debut season?
SoCal Yanks Fan posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:58 pm ESTReport Abuse
# 120 Mark,
But if the jersey is a Beckham Galaxy jersey then don't those proceeds go to the league?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:27 am

Join the discussion. Here you'll see the comments in the order that they were posted.

101 - 110 of 230 First | < Previous | Next > | Last
Slick5,
Pitching is one of the keys to winning a baseball game, but contrary to popular belief,
the Red Sox don't have great pitching!
They have a good pitcher in Becket. He had a good season last year.
But then following him are all mediocre pitchers.
Dice-K was not close living up to his hype, Schilling is washed up, and Jon Lester
is mediocre at best. Papelbon is impressive and is Okajima but other then that their relief is
awful. So pitching does win baseball games but Red Sox need better pitching.
Jeffers2 R posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:16 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 102 socal, First of all, it's not a crack pipe... it's just weed. Second of all, I do agree that locking him up was a good idea. I'm just saying that he's not worth 30 million and an arbitrator proved that. Oh, and I think you need to take a second look at Utley's numbers before you say that their comparable.... They're not even close... Utley is averaging 25 plus homers, over 100 rbi, 110 runs, 42 doubles, 60 walks, his slg. pct. is alot higher, his ops is alot higher........ over the last few years.. The only thing Cano did, was hit .342 ONE YEAR.. Granted thats awsome, but take that away and he's average at best....
bretski posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:18 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 103 .342 is not bad for the guy that bats 8th in any team's lineup.
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:22 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 104 christian i thought the yankee mantra was win and win every year not lets spend more and more every year and lets choke in the post season.you want to compare the nfl to the mlb.take the best player in the nfl and ask yourself is he making the same as the best player in the mlb?.nobody in any sport is making 30 mil a yr like arod.most of the big market teams have made money and some of the small market teams haven't yet the yankees have lost to both types of markets in the past 7 years.i agree the yankees make alot of money but they spend alot too but the ultimate goal in baseball is to win it all.the knicks have a high payroll and jimmy dolan makes a ton and they haven't won anything either.its nice to see that you and so cal are back to your typical yankee fan mentality and insult all others who do not agree with you 2.
ken posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:24 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 105 I'll take B.J. Upton, Brian Roberts, Placido Polanco, Ian Kinsler, Brandon Phillips ... just to name a few.... over Cano. Once again, he's good...... but not worth 30 million....
bretski posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:26 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 106 Christian, how can you even bring that up??? It's not like he does that all the time.. He hit .306 last year. If he hit .342 every year, yeah, he'd be the shizzzz-nit, but he doesn't. He hit .297 on 05' and .306 last year.... Tha hardly sound like he's gonna flirt with .340 every year..
bretski posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 107 It's about time the Yankees figured out to hold on to a young talent. Look what happened to Alfonso Soriano after the Yankees let him walk. Lets hope that with the younger Steinbrenner's at the healtm, the Yankees will become a younger team
mustanglolo posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:32 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 108 In 06' the Yankees had a 195 milliion dollar team salary.. The Tigers had a 95 million dollar team salary. LOL, I think thats funny as hell... So all those steroids (allegedly) and that extra 100 million couldnt even help ya... I love it when a team tries to buy a championship and fails miserably..LOL.. Go Tigers in 08'
bretski posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:34 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 109 Ken,
The salaries are based on average. NFL players get more of the NFL revenue by percentage then MLB players get out of MLB revenue. This is something that the players' union is trying to work with and trying to get MLB players even more money.

I'm not insulting people who disagree with me. If I insult anyone it's because their posts are of a pre school level and with no sign of intelligence.
--Christian-- posted on Friday, Jan 25, 2008 3:34 pm ESTReport Abuse
* 110 the yanks got younger by resigning posada,riviera and brought clemens back for that ungodly amount?.they still are paying pavano and they have that waste of a 1st baseman giambi.true you have 3 up and coming pitchers but until they prove themselves over the course of a few seasons you really don't know what they will become these rookies are put on these pedestals and they sometimes do not live up to all the hype.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:28 am

Cashman remains committed to young players

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors

With Red Sox GM Theo Epstein sitting nearby on the same stage, New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman made it pretty clear that if it's up to him, the Yankees will not make the much-discussed deal for Johan Santana according to the New York Daily News.

And if Epstein's reaction is any indication, neither will the Red Sox. The setting was a baseball lecture given for fans by the two rival GMs at William Paterson University in Wayne, N.J., Friday. And while it was mostly a chance for Cashman and Epstein to keep the talk light and enjoy the evening, the Santana discussion may have been revealing.

"I can't talk about another team's player," said Cashman, "but I can say that I'm committed to our young players."

Source: New York Daily News

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 am

Girardi happy to have Cano as a long-term Yankee

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spyanks265552930jan26,0,6904407.story?track=rss

Count new Yankees manager Joe Girardi as one person who's excited about locking up Robinson Cano for as long as the next six seasons.

Cano, 25, has reached preliminary agreement with the Yankees on a four-year contract worth at least $30 million, a source said Friday, with the two sides still discussing the particulars of two club option years that will be included. Because the contract has yet to be announced, Girardi couldn't comment specifically on the deal. His glowing words about Cano, however, said plenty.

"He's a great player," Girardi said.

Girardi traveled to New York from his South Florida home for the weekend with a long to-do list: house-hunting with his wife, Kim; getting acquainted with his new office at Yankee Stadium, taking a look at the rapidly rising new Yankee Stadium, making plans for spring training and presenting an award to Bobby Murcer at Sunday night's Baseball Writers Association of America New York chapter banquet at the Marriott Marquis. In between all of that, he took time out to talk with Newsday.

Girardi said he first met Cano when Girardi, who was working in broadcasting, went to a minicamp in fall 2003. Cano was one of the top Yankees prospects at that time. Girardi gave him a little advice.

"I talked to him about being a leader down there," Girardi said, "because even if he wasn't the oldest player, he was the highest level of player. And I told him, players are going to watch what you do."

Girardi didn't guess the second baseman would be an All-Star as soon as 2006.

"I'd say it's been quicker [than expected]," Girardi said. "When I saw him, obviously he had great actions, but sometimes it takes longer to translate."

The contract that Cano and the Yankees are working on will guarantee him at least $30 million, a source said. Cano had requested $4.55 million in arbitration and the Yankees had countered with $3.2 million, but now they will bypass that process.

This contract would take him through all four arbitration years - most players have three arbitration-eligible seasons, but Cano is a "super-two" in service time and would have four - and potentially through two free-agent years.

Cano would be due $28 million through 2011, with a $2-million buyout for 2012. The option years have not been agreed upon but likely will be worth $12 million to $15 million each. If the Yankees pick up the 2012 option, there will be a $2-million buyout for 2013.

Cano started slowly in 2007 but recovered to bat .306 with 19 homers and 97 RBIs.

Once he passes a physical and signs his new contract, the Yankees will have three-fourths of their infield secured for at least three seasons. Derek Jeter has long been a given and is signed through 2010. Alex Rodriguez is back, too, but Girardi said he didn't expect that to occur after A-Rod opted out of his contract in late October.

"I figured that Alex wasn't coming back," Girardi said, "and then we started hearing that there were discussions going on. That's a huge bat to replace. I'm not so sure that bat is replaceable."

Girardi will see Rodriguez on Sunday as A-Rod is honored as the American League's Most Valuable Player.

As for Johan Santana, who could yet wind up in a Yankees uniform, Girardi is focused on the guys already on the roster.

"As a player, you learn to count on the guys that are here, because you know what? Your club might make a trade, but speculation is speculation," Girardi said. "If things change in the course of the season or the offseason, you adjust to them, but you concentrate on the guys that are here."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:35 am

Yesterday, before a school audience, and with Theo in attendance, Cash pretty squarely put his feelings right out front by saying what we all knew, and to loud applause, that he was in favor of keeping the 'kids.'

Does anyone else get the same feeling as I do; either this is the Yank's definitive reply to the Twins or Cash has just publicly signed his resignation if Hank goes through with the deal anyway? Of course, it could just be more posturing and perhaps we shouldn't read anything else into it. Still, I wonder.

What do you all think?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:38 am

Don Mattingly changes role with Dodgers

http://origin.denverpost.com/sports/ci_8045717

LOS ANGELES—Don Mattingly won't be alongside Joe Torre in the Los Angeles Dodgers' dugout for every game this year. Mattingly will be moved from Dodgers hitting coach to major league special assignment coach for the 2008 season due to family reasons, the team said Tuesday. Mike Easler will replace Mattingly as hitting coach.

"Donnie is prioritizing his family first," his agent, Ray Schulte, wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "The Dodgers have been very supportive, creating a position so Don can still make a contribution to the team throughout the year!"

After losing out to Joe Girardi for the New York Yankees' managerial job, Mattingly agreed to follow Torre to Los Angeles.

Mattingly will now assist with the Dodgers' major league coaching staff during spring training and throughout the season. He still wants to become a major league manager one day.

"I'm very grateful that the Dodgers have allowed me to take care of these family matters and I hope that everyone can respect our privacy during this time," Mattingly said in a statement issued by the team. "I truly appreciate the support of all Dodger fans since joining the organization and I look forward to helping the team win in 2008 and beyond."

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said he was surprised when Mattingly contacted him.

"He's still going to be a piece of the organization. We're happy about that," Colletti said. "Some of this we're going to play by ear regarding his schedule. A lot of this will get ferreted out as the year goes on.

"It's one of those situations that needs to be taken care of and we support him completely. You're always disappointed when anybody has to go through any type of issues. We'll make the best of it, we'll be supportive of him."

Colletti said the change in jobs meant a change in Mattingly's contract, but wouldn't elaborate. Mattingly agreed to a multiyear deal when he joined the Dodgers, and it seemed a good possibility he would become the Dodgers' manager when the 67-year-old Torre's three-year contract runs out.

"It's too early to tell," Colletti said regarding the future. "My opinion of him hasn't changed. I still think he has a great amount of intellect and ability that he can bring to the organization. We'll see what transpires. I could have said that back in November."

The 57-year-old Easler was the St. Louis Cardinals' hitting coach from 1999-2001, and served in the same capacity for the Milwaukee Brewers in 1992 and the Boston Red Sox from 1993-94. He spent the last two seasons as a hitting coach in the Dodgers' minor league system.

Among players Easler worked with during the past two years at Double-A Jacksonville and Triple-A Las Vegas were Matt Kemp, James Loney, Andy LaRoche, Delwyn Young and Chin-lung Hu.

Colletti said he and Torre thought about Easler right away after hearing from Mattingly.

"He's been a hitting coach before in the big leagues, he's basically walked the walk with a number of our young kids," Colletti said. "It's almost February, the transition we thought would be easier with Mike, easier with our players. We thought he was the right person and deserved the opportunity to do it."

Easler called the move "a situation of what started two years ago."

"This is a blessing to me, a blessing to my family," he said. "These kids can play. I love these kids, these kids are like my sons. Timing is a key thing in this game. I've been in the game for 38 years. It so happens the timing is right now and I'm going to make the best of this year."

———

AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:41 am

Cash: Speaking with the enemy

BY KEN DAVIDOFF | ken.davidoff@newsday.com

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spcashman265552931jan26,0,5301633.story

WAYNE, N.J. - If any doubt remained about where Brian Cashman stands on whether to acquire Johan Santana, the Yankees' general manager eliminated it Friday night - to the joy of a group of Yankees fans.

At a "Distinguished Lecturer Series" event at William Paterson University that featured Cashman and Red Sox GM Theo Epstein, Cashman made clear his belief that the Yankees should not trade their young talent to the Twins for two-time Cy Young Award winner Santana.

"My strong recommendation is that we stay with our young pitching staff, keep it in house," Cashman said. "I'm married to that process. I want to see that through. I hope our ownership and fans can sit through what might be some growing pains."

The response drew the loudest applause of the two-hour discussion - including a smiling clap from Epstein. After all, the 2008 Yankees undoubtedly would improve with Santana on their pitching staff. But the Yankees have not held any substantive discussions with the Twins since the winter meetings and the Red Sox do not seem to be motivated buyers, either. The Mets, by default, appear the favorites to land Santana.

Cashman and Epstein - who have become friendly enough that Cashman made an appearance for Epstein's charity earlier this month in Boston and Epstein reciprocated Friday night - traded playful jabs at one another throughout a conversation (moderated by SNY's Kevin Burkhardt) and questions from the audience of 922, who paid $37 for a ticket to this unique outing. In a news conference before the event, Cashman said the defending world champion Red Sox are the team to beat in the American League East.

"There's no doubt about it. Until somebody takes that away from them, they will have an extra swagger about them," Cashman said. "Last September, we felt we could win the World Series. We didn't. They did. So when they take the field in spring training, they know what they can do because they've now done it. We're still trying to get it."

Among Cashman's other thoughts:

He called out Bobby Abreu and Johnny Damon for reporting to spring training out of shape last year. "That's not going to happen this spring," he said.

Going into his controversial decision to not re-sign Bernie Williams for 2007, Cashman said he thought Williams' dalliances into music "took away from his play." He didn't think Williams could be a useful part-time player for the Yankees because he wasn't a good pinch hitter, pinch runner or defensive replacement, and he thought Joe Torre used Williams over more talented players. Without Williams on the roster, the Yankees had a place for Shelley Duncan in the middle of the 2007 season.

He chose Kei Igawa over Ted Lilly during the 2006-07 offseason, he said, because he viewed Lilly as a fly-ball pitcher who ran up high pitch counts and had two previous shoulder issues.

With so many Yankees from the "Torre dynasty" in position to have their uniform numbers retired, Cashman said the team is "trying to come up with a guideline" for which players should qualify. Otherwise, Cashman said, "We're going to be pushing into the 100s."

While he has a strong, long-standing relationship with Hal Steinbrenner, Cashman and Hal's verbose older brother Hank "are still going through a getting-to-know-you stage," the GM said. Cashman's contract expires after the 2008 season, so he'll likely wait and see how the Yankees' new ownership situation plays out before committing again to the only team for which he has worked.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:43 am

Yankees open door for in-state airing of Tech game

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/wb/148445

Virginia Tech doesn't expect to strike out in its efforts to get its game with the New York Yankees televised in this area.

Because of limited seating, Tech is planning to allow only Tech students, faculty, staff and families of the April 16 shooting victims to attend the Yankees' March 18 exhibition against the Hokies at English Field. So Tech has been talking to TV and radio stations around the state, as well as to Comcast SportsNet, about broadcasting the 3 p.m. game. The game would air locally on WDBJ-7.

The Yankees, who offered to play the game in the wake of the shootings, have granted permission to Tech and are working to get Major League Baseball approval, according to both Tech associate athletic director Tim East and Yankees media relations director Jason Zillo.

"We don't have anything worked out yet, but we feel confident it'll be televised [in Virginia]," East said.

The Yankees will be televising the game on their YES Network, a Northeast-regional cable channel they own. The channel is only available in this area on DirecTV.

TV stations in Virginia -- as well as CSN if it is involved -- would be airing a simulcast of the YES Network telecast.

Virginia Tech would produce its own radio broadcast.

Tech also wants permission for TV stations to rerun the broadcast that night for the fans who will be at work that afternoon.

ISP Sports, which owns Tech's media rights, has been contacting its Hokie radio and TV affiliates to see if they want to carry the game.

"We're going to have a pretty good package, hopefully, of television and/or radio," said Rick Barakat, general manager of ISP's Tech network.

TV stations in six Virginia cities, including WDBJ, carry Tech's weekly highlights show, "Virginia Tech Sports Today."

"We'd be more than happy to [air the game]," WDBJ program director Mike Bell said.

Bell said WDBJ would also rerun it that night if permitted.

English Field has only about 1,000 chair-back seats, but Tech will bring in portable bleachers to accommodate as many as 2,500 additional fans.

Fans can also sit on the adjacent hills. Tech has begun carving out amphitheater-type terraces into the hill on the left-field line to make more room there. The projected capacity of 5,000 also includes standing room.

"We realize there's going to be a lot of interest in it, and unfortunately the baseball stadium only holds so many seats, so we want to do our best to make it available to as many people as possible, whether it's television, radio," East said.

If CSN airs the game, it would be in addition to individual stations such as WDBJ. CSN also carries "Virginia Tech Sports Today," as well as the "Hokie Playback" football reruns. But whether it would be given permission to air the Yankees game, given its broader reach, remains to be seen.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:46 am

A Bitter Rivalry Finds a Little Common Ground
Aaron Houston for The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/26/sports/baseball/26baseball.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

Brian Cashman, right, and Theo Epstein spoke in front of more than 900 fans during a lecture at William Paterson University.

Article Tools Sponsored By
By JACK CURRY
Published: January 26, 2008

WAYNE, N.J. — For 365 days each year, the Yankees and the Boston Red Sox are ferocious rivals. With offices that are only 206 miles apart, Brian Cashman, the general manager of the Yankees, and Theo Epstein, Cashman’s counterpart with the Red Sox, try to do anything and everything to have the superior team.
Skip to next paragraph

Keep up with the latest postseason news on The Times’s baseball blog.
Go to the Bats Blog »

But for two hours on a chilly Friday night, the two shared a stage during a lecture at William Paterson University. Cashman and Epstein will never be allies if they stay in the same positions, but when they talked baseball Friday in front of 922 fans, they were cordial rivals.

As Cashman, who was wearing a gray pinstriped suit, and Epstein, who was wearing a black suit, sat in maroon leather chairs, they looked as if they were relaxing in one of their grandparent’s living rooms. They were willing to place the rivalry on hold, ever so briefly.

For Cashman, the night was about being comfortable and candid. He received the loudest applause when he reiterated that he preferred keeping the Yankees’ young pitchers instead of making a deal for Minnesota’s Johan Santana. Epstein turned toward Cashman and applauded those words, too, which then elicited more laughter than clapping. Epstein declined to discuss Santana.

While retracing Bernie Williams’s unfriendly departure from the Yankees, Cashman said Williams had become more involved in his music “and that took away from his play” and that Williams had a “terrible season” in 2005. Cashman added Joe Torre had played Williams “ahead of guys who could help us win” in 2006, a reference to Melky Cabrera.

When a fan asked Epstein about the loss of Johnny Damon to the Yankees as a free agent after the 2005 season, Epstein said the Red Sox felt they had “gotten the best years out of Johnny.” Cashman said Damon struggled last season because he reported to spring training out of shape, adding that Bobby Abreu was also out of shape.

One of the most memorable scenes from last season was Joba Chamberlain pitching while covered with small insects known as midges during a playoff game in Cleveland. Cashman did not use the insects as an excuse and chastised the Yankees for the way they reacted.

“I thought our guys weren’t mentally tough enough to get through it,” Cashman told a fan, who had likened Chamberlain’s experience to one the fan had endured while visiting Africa.

“I have been to Africa,” Epstein said. “If you only knew how hard it was for me to get those bugs in the country and into Cleveland.”

The Red Sox ended last season as the best team in baseball and will enter 2008 as the favorites to win the World Series again. Still, when Esptein was asked about Boston’s lofty status, he said that he and Cashman did not “talk like that.” But Cashman did talk like that, about the Red Sox.

“They’re the World Series champions, until someone takes that away from them,” Cashman said.

Cashman playfully said that he and Epstein were here for an “Obama-Clinton-like debate,” although he never said whether he considered himself Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton. Politics aside, Cashman was clearly the hometown favorite.

When Cashman appeared at Epstein’s charity event in Boston earlier this month, he was not booed. But during Epstein’s introduction here, there were some boos at the mention of the Red Sox’ 2004 and 2007 titles.

The two offered careful comments about the Mitchell report. The Red Sox contemplated obtaining closer Eric Gagné in 2006, and the report included Epstein’s e-mail message to a Red Sox scout inquiring about whether he thought Gagné was “a steroid guy.” Epstein said he saw no merit in “parsing” the report. Cashman, who faced questions about how several Yankees were named in the report, said he hoped baseball would follow the report’s recommendations.

Cashman described how he became friendly with Epstein through Kevin Towers, the San Diego Padres general manager, but acknowledged there were conversations that he and Epstein never have.

“We don’t talk trade ever, basically,” Epstein said.

Cashman began with the Yankees as an intern and said he did not think he would become the general manager. Because Cashman was working for George Steinbrenner, the Yankees’ demanding principal owner, his career path surprised him.

“It was a great grooming ground,” Cashman said. “Things kept opening up because people kept getting fired.”

Since Hank and Hal Steinbrenner, George’s sons, have assumed more prominent roles with the team, Cashman has conceded his job has evolved. But he still has enough power that he did not have to seek permission to spend time with Epstein.

“I didn’t have to clear it with Hank, either,” Epstein said.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:48 am

Phil Hughes Starts a Blog

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/?8dpc

By Tyler Kepner

Tags: Chien Ming Wang, Curt Schilling, David wells, Phil Hughes, Yankees
The New York Yankees

When I covered the Yankees in 2003, a grim daily task was to check David Wells’ old Web site to see if he ripped anybody. Wells could be hostile to the news media (he’s the only athlete who has ever answered my question with a burp), and he used his site to air his unfiltered thoughts.

Five years later, two more Yankees starting pitchers now have their own Web sites: Phil Hughes and Chien-Ming Wang. Both are a pleasure to cover – courteous, accessible and accountable.

Wang’s site is a great resource for his fans, though he hasn’t updated his journal since the initial post in July. Hughes’ site opened on Tuesday. It links to Wang’s site, but it’s quite different.

Hughes’s site is a blog, in the model of Curt Schilling’s 38pitches.com. I kidded with Phil in an e-mail message that I hope he won’t cut out the middlemen and stop talking to the writers.

“I’ll leave the news-breaking to you guys,” Hughes wrote back. “Just wanted to give some fans a players’ perspective on a full season of baseball.”

It should be a fun way for fans to follow a player who could be a fixture in pinstripes for years - unless the Yankees trade him to the Twins for Johan Santana, a possibility that seems highly unlikely right now.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:48 am

#

Your description of Phil Hughes as a fine man, his reaching out to fans in his blog and his talent should convince everyone that he belongs in pinstripes for his whole career.

— Posted by JR
#
January 18th,
8:02 pm

Just spreading the word:

http://www.trentonthunder.com/release/zRelease.asp?pYYY YMMDD=200801172#200801172

— Posted by BobK
#
January 18th,
8:04 pm

I checked out both Hughes’s and Wang’s site; they are like apples and oranges in make up but they’re
both fruits(sites). Wangs is good for personnal stats and achievments while Hughs site is like you said a blogable diary. Thanks for the heads up; but
I’ll pass on the Wang self pat on the back and the Hughs “where shall I chow tonight?” I wish them well in the upcoming season.

— Posted by David C. Williams
#
January 18th,
10:29 pm

Tyler - Getting off the blog topic, could you address why the Yanks let both Andy Phillips and Doug M. go? They are both better first basemen and arguably comparable or better hitters relative to Giambi, Bettemit or Duncan - plus they were not expensive and were great gamers.

— Posted by Bob
#
January 21st,
7:05 am

hope phil doesn’t get traded

— Posted by smartypants16

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:56 am

Morneau deal doesn't affect Santana
By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080126&content_id=2356066&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

MINNEAPOLIS -- History shows the Twins have been somewhat reluctant to give contracts of longer than four years.

That wasn't the case when it came to the six-year, $80 million contract that Justin Morneau agreed to on Friday. Morneau's deal is the largest contract in Twins history, in both length and monetary value.

The willingness of the organization to give that sort of deal made some ponder whether the Twins have changed their approach to the Johan Santana situation. It was a question asked to general manager Bill Smith during the club's Friday press conference to announce the contracts of Morneau and outfielder Michael Cuddyer.

"This deal does not affect other players," Smith said. "And I don't think it's any great dramatic change in philosophy. These two deals are set for these players. I think you have to take each [player] individually."

Indications all offseason have been that Santana is seeking at least a six-year extension worth upwards of $140 million. The Twins reportedly made Santana a four-year, $80 million offer.

While a trade seems a much more likely possibility, there is reason to think the Twins may have to weigh other options. All signs have suggested that trade talks regarding Santana have been relatively quiet in recent weeks. The Twins remain in contact with the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox, but the team has indicated it wants a resolution before the start of Spring Training.

Smith did not rule out further discussions with the ace, but he reiterated that the club already has attempted to work out a deal.

"We've had extensive negotiations with Santana," Smith said. "Our goal is always to keep him in a Twins uniform. If we can, we will. If we can't, we'll move forward."

Right, left, or ... center? Much has been made of the hole that still exists in center field for the Twins.

One recent suggestion by manager Ron Gardenhire was that Cuddyer possibly could fill the spot if the team does not make an acquisition by the start of the season.

It's a notion Cuddyer believes may be Gardenhire just throwing out a random possibility to stir up conversation.

"I think Gardy may have just been saying stuff," Cuddyer said with a laugh during the press conference. "But I'm up for any challenge if that comes my way. I've never shied away from playing any position. If that does come about, I'll go out and play my best."

Quite a ride: Signing a three-year, $24 million contract undeniably would be a huge day for anyone, but considering the road Cuddyer has taken to get to this point, he admitted that Friday was a tad sweeter.

Calling it the best day of his life besides his wedding day, Cuddyer reminisced about the path to becoming one of the guys the Twins have labeled a "core player."

Hot Stove

Since being selected in the first round of the 1997 First-Year Player Draft, Cuddyer has played a number of different positions. That includes everywhere on the field except pitcher, catcher, shortstop and center field.

"It's funny. I was talking to Mike Redmond today and saying that just two years ago I was sitting next to him on the bench," Cuddyer said. "For this to happen in two years, I'm very fortunate and I have a lot of people to thank. It's really a reflection of everyone that helped keep me in the organization. And I'm very grateful."

Numbers game: The influx of new Twins now officially have been assigned jersey numbers. Delmon Young will wear No. 21, Brendan Harris -- 23, Craig Monroe -- 27, Adam Everett -- 12 and Mike Lamb -- 24.

The team also has one other switch. Left-hander Glen Perkins has decided to change his number from 60 to 15.

"I wore it in college, and I guess I also just wanted a number that fit in more with the team," Perkins said. "Any time you get a number that's out of the 50-range, you feel a little less connected."

Twins tidbits: At the Twins' annual media luncheon early Friday afternoon, the club announced that seven of its home games this season will be featured on national television. Among the games is the Twins' season opener against the Angels on March 31, when Torii Hunter returns to the Metrodome. It will be carried by ESPN. ... The Twins will feature four bobbleheads among their 2008 season promotions. Those will include Gardenhire, Young, Dan Gladden and 2008 Twins Hall of Fame inductee Rick Aguilera.

Kelly Thesier is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:58 am

Stark says Smith is worried about the Questions he'll face? LOLZATSTARKZ

I think Smith will have a harder time answering why he only has the 30th pick in the draft and a sandwich pick as his prospective haul. That is the question that his fan base will probably start asking that around May when the indians and Tigers and Yankees and Red Sox have nearly mathematically eliminated the twins from the playoffs even with their lame duck ace.

Smith is just like the Sandra Bullock character in the lake house -- always waiting for something better to come along -- except unlike Sandra Bullock, Bill Smith doesn't recognize that Omar Minaya is his Keanu Reeves writing love letters from the future.

So he'll die sad and alone in third place, always waiting for the better offer that never comes.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:58 am

I'll leave on a relevant thread topic...

stark at espn insider says

Quote:
Stark suggests, along with yet another “club official,” that the Mets don’t have the talent to get a deal done. Other teams and scouts don’t see the Mets prospects as the Mets do. Carlos Gomez is considered “enticing,” Humber and Mulvey are not considered front-line pitchers and Deolis Guerra “has an eye-popping arm, but he’s only 18 years old.”

The anonymous “official” told Stark, “If they wind up taking the Mets’ offer, aren’t they going to have to answer some big questions? The deals they turned down (from the Yankees and Red Sox) certainly seem to be superior to what the Mets are offering. So how could they end up taking that deal?”

when was the last time stark broke news?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:00 am

Is Hank Steinbrenner, President and self-proclaimed 'Owner' of the New York Yankees admitting that Yankee players used steroids in the late 90's?

sure sounds like he is.

And they had just as many players doing stuff - all the teams. I guarantee you go through every team in baseball, and they all have the same basic percentage of players doing stuff.

Congressman Waxman on line one, Hank.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:04 am

Hank - DON'T BET AGAINST 'EM
DEFENSIVE PLAY MAKES JINTS SUPER

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252008/sports/giants/dont_bet_against_em_784600.htm?page=0

January 25, 2008 -- Hank Steinbrenner, the Yankees' Senior Vice President who grew up in Cleveland and watched the Giants battle the Browns with his father in the 1960s, writes the first of a series of exclusive guest columns for The Post on Super Bowl XLII between the upset-minded Giants and the 18-0 Patriots.

I'VE felt good about this Giants team since the playoffs started. I didn't agree with all the so-called experts on TV who said, "Well, Green Bay is a cinch . . . Dallas is going to beat the Giants . . . this and that."

When you have the kind of defensive line the Giants have, you always have a chance. The Giants have the ability to put pressure on Tom Brady. That's key. And the way the secondary is playing, it gives them a shot.

The thing I like best about this Giants team is the defense. I'm a firm believer, in all sports, that defense wins championships. I'm no football expert, but I am a football fan, and it all goes back to my days when I was a kid and my dad used to take me to the Browns games whenever they played the Giants. That's why I've always enjoyed watching the Giants play.

The Patriots have a great defense, too, and Bill Belichick is the greatest defensive genius in the history of the game, and they have tons of offensive weapons.

A Couple of Friendly Enemies

Plax: Pats Don't Have Best Wide Receivers

But the Giants have the type of team that the guys in Vegas would say, "You don't necessarily bet on them, but you don't bet against them."

The Giants have done one of the toughest things to do in American team sports and that is to be the wild-card team and make it to the Super Bowl. You have to win three games against very tough opponents on the road. That's a tough, tough thing, and they did it.

I'm very happy for Eli Manning. I don't know if people today, especially younger generations, realize that his father, Archie, may be the single most underrated quarterback ever. With the Saints, he was stuck on a bad team his whole career, but he was like another Roger Staubach, a great quarterback.

For Eli to follow his father and his brother, Peyton, that really is an incredible amount of pressure. And his teammates realize that, you can see that now when they talk about him, and to be in New York with all the media, that is a tough road and he's done it.

Tough Mann Contest

Strahan, Captain Clutch an Inspiration

Everybody forgets how young Eli is, too. He's only going to get better.

Tom Coughlin has been bashed about the last few years, but everybody has always known he is a good coach, going back to Boston College. He's smart, he's tough and he made the changes he felt were necessary for this season and it has worked. It's all about preparation, and he has had this team prepared.

I don't want to be presumptuous, but the way Belichick has modeled the Patriots reminds me of how we've run the Yankees in the past. That kind of self-discipline, that kind of team attitude, that kind of expecting-to-win attitude, but working your butt off to get to that point and not just taking it for granted. He must have been somewhat influenced by the Yankees, especially in the '90s.

The Giants have to approach this game with the same "us against the world" attitude they've had throughout the playoffs.

VIDEO: DE Justin Tuck Talks Confidence

VIDEO: Manning Talks Strategy

The Patriots also have that attitude. The Giants have to approach the Super Bowl with the same kind of self-discipline, team discipline, teamwork and togetherness they've shown. They can say, "We're the wild-card team and no one gave us a chance and they are not going to give us a chance in this game."

That's how they have to attack it, they have nothing to lose. All this talk about the AFC being better than the NFC, well maybe if the Colts and Chargers had not been hit so hard by injuries. The Patriots are the best team in the game, no question, but that doesn't mean they can't be beat. By the postseason, the NFC had gotten tougher. The Patriots did not have as tough a road to go as the Giants.

If you are playing this well defensively and your quarterback is doing well, you've always got a shot.

This Giants team - and I'm rooting for them - is a team I wouldn't want to bet against.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:19 am

There's a difference between sinking $200,000 in something and sinking all the millions that Henry and Co. is sinking into Fenway Classic. At some point all of this investment represents buying additional shares of stock in the company. It's a bet I figure Henry is doing because he thinks Fenway Classic IS the best investment. OR he's thinking of selling in the short to mid-term future and wants to dress up the house for sale. If he is thinking in terms of a new Fenway, I'll bet what he's really thinking is that with all the financial and, in this case, monstrous political and logistical hoops that have to be jumped through, even if he started thinking about it in the near future he wouldn't be opening a new park for 20 years.

I was going to add that Henry is probably too old to believe that making a new Fenway would be worth his while when I found out that he's 58... Man he looks much older than that. Either way, there's no way a new Fenway gets built within the next few decades or the place collapses and kills a couple of thousand people. And really, what would the point be of building a new one? Its not as if this one aint making enough money. The only thing a new stadium does is open up more luxury boxes, which is obviously big, but when you consider that the bill is likely to be in the 700M-1B range, then you'd need a little more than extra luxury boxes to make it worth the while. Also, Henry doesn't seem to be the type to sink crazy money now in order to make it back 10-20 years from now, he also doesn't strike me as someone who is looking to maximize value and then sell the team.

And let me just add kudos to the people of Mass for sticking it to Harrington and the Yawkee people about a new stadium. Publically financed stadiums are a senseless proposition that only fools would vote for.

So when is the new Yankee Stadium opening?image

Seriously though, unless there were more severe structural issues going on with the toilet, then there was absolutely no reason for a new stadium to get built, it was essentially a Yankee fans departing gift (Guiliani) and put pressure on Bloomberg to accept the financial aspects or look like the guy who stopped a new Yankee stadium from being built.

And yes I know its mostly privately funded, but I doubt that it would be opening next year if not for the huge amount of public financing and tax breaks.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:29 am

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_8083553

That would leave the Twins to deal a new problem: hitting Santana's wicked changeup. Cuddyer has thought about the possibility and figures his best strategy is "just swing and hope he hits my bat."

Morneau has a more practical solution.

"I hope he gets traded to the National League," Morneau said.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:36 am

i hate when people say he lacks intensity or slacks off.... its the biggest load ever.... does anyone personally know cano? he is a 314 avg hitter... how does that for a second constitue a lazy lackluster player.......... if you want to say he is lazy prove it... people act in different ways....some are uptight and some are laid back.... either one does not by any means constitute their commitment..... when someone finds proof that Cano is a lazy man let me know

Not sure how this is way better than the Wright deal. If they both continue they way everyone hopes, the Mets have a better player for basically the same money. The only real difference is the possibility that they stink it up. The Yankees are not on the hook for the 5-6 years while the Mets are on the hook.

Why not give Cano what he wanted in arb this year and wait another year to do this type of deal?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:38 am

David Wright 3b
6 years/$55M (2007-2012), plus 2013 club option

* signed extension 8/06
* $1.5M signing bonus
* 07:$1M, 08:$5M, 09:$7.5M, 10:$10M, 11:$14M, 12:$15M,
13:$16M club option ($1M buyout)
* $50,000 All Star bonus

so Cano would get $1 mil more, but hes a better defender at a position while being in a less offense-driven position. this would be great

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next