Santana deal imminent?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Santana deal imminent?

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:05 am

#

Well, even if it might be true (spending more time on the music), I don’t think… at this point… it’s Cashman’s business to say. Maybe if Bernie were still a starter on the team, ya know? Thoughts?

Anyway, Bedard needs to get out of our division!! haha It seems it could be by next week:
http://mlbfleecefactor.com/2008/01/27/orioles-rumors-brian-roberts-erik-bedard/
# Brian January 27th, 2008 at 12:55 pm

I love the comments by Cashman. I guess Bernie’s ego is in the way of him realizing that he sucked his last couple of years.
# RosterRooster January 27th, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Ask Jimmy who’s got the best infield in baseball?

Howard/Utley/Rollins/(someone crappy)

or

ARod/Jeter/Cano/ Platoon

I think the strength of the Yanks Platoon VS. Wes Helms or whatever they got puts the bombers over the top.
# Rebecca--Optimist Prime--Save the Three Musketeers! January 27th, 2008 at 1:04 pm

So guys, I need ten pages of my thesis done for Friday and I have about a paragraph.

Care to motivate me?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:07 am

Cano Cruise Control Concerns?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/27/2008-01-27_hank_steinbrenner_dont_question_yankees_.html

Via John Harper -

Some baseball people wonder if it was a smart move to agree to give Robinson Cano a four-year contract worth a guaranteed $30 million, given that he is still three years away from being eligible for free agency. As one AL scout said yesterday. "He has a tendency to put it on cruise control. He's got a world of talent, but I know the Yankees had concerns at one point about his work ethic. Sometimes young guys get that first big contract and their intensity comes and goes."

Time will tell.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Second to none
Tony Massarotti By Tony Massarotti / Covering All Bases
Sunday, January 27, 2008 - Updated 5h ago
+ Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email + Bio
Boston Herald Sports Columnist
Sports columnist Tony Massarotti has been a must-read for years in the pages of the Boston Herald.
EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(0) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(0) Rate

Like Red Sox [team stats] first baseman Kevin Youkilis [stats], New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano had the distinction of being one of the most underpaid players in baseball last season. While knocking in 97 runs, Cano earned precisely $490,800.

But thanks to mechanism known as salary arbitration, Cano will receive a sizable jump in pay this year as his salary will increase tenfold. Such an increase is the kind of jump that can hurt a team with pockets as deep as the Yankees if the player does not live up to his contract.

For Cano, it doesn’t appear as if that will be a problem. Since joining the Yankees during the 2005 season, the 25-year-old Cano has batted .314 while averaging 16 home runs, 79 RBI and 78 runs scored per season. While the Yankees expect those numbers to only improve for the native of the Dominican Republic, Cano already ranks among the best offensive second baseman in baseball over the past three years.
YesNo
YesNo
YesNo

From 2005-2007, based on RBI, here are those players who have been most productive while playing second base:

Avg - AB - H - HR - RBI - OBP - Slg
Chase Utley, Phi . - 312 - 1682 - 525 - 79 - 300 - .390 -.546
Jeff Kent, LAD - .291 - 1393 - 405 61 - 239 - .374 - .495
CANO, NYY -.312 - 1597 - 498 - 45 - 231 - .345 - .483
Ray Durham, SF - .267 - 1426 - 381 - 46 - 211 - .338 - .434
Ronnie Belliard (3 tms) .280 - 1524 - 426 40 - 192 - .325 - .427
(NOTE: Statistics do not reflect time played at other positions.)

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:28 pm

Thats actaully about the same as our offer.

Horne throws gas and jus dominated doiuble A. Austin Jackson is at least as good Gomez. Similar athleticism with more baseball skills.

Kennedy has shownt eh ability to get major leaguers out. My guess is he’ll be hit harder this time around, but can stil settle in as a nice #4 or 5.

Not a bad haul at all. I REALLY like that Horne guy. BA scouts say his mechanics will lead to injuries. These were the guys that told me Prior’s mechanics were so smooth he was a surefire durable guy.

If the Twins can make this happen, I’d be satisfied if i were a Twins fan.

Jackson is a lot closer to the bigs than Gomez. Horne is better than anyone we offer cept Pelfrey. Kennedy is on par with Mulvey, Heilman or Humber.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Mets Fans on IPK and other Yankees prospects

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/01/27/buzz-santana-deal-within-10-days/#comments

Thats actaully about the same as our offer.

Horne throws gas and jus dominated doiuble A. Austin Jackson is at least as good Gomez. Similar athleticism with more baseball skills.

Kennedy has shownt eh ability to get major leaguers out. My guess is he’ll be hit harder this time around, but can stil settle in as a nice #4 or 5.

Not a bad haul at all. I REALLY like that Horne guy. BA scouts say his mechanics will lead to injuries. These were the guys that told me Prior’s mechanics were so smooth he was a surefire durable guy.

If the Twins can make this happen, I’d be satisfied if i were a Twins fan.

Jackson is a lot closer to the bigs than Gomez. Horne is better than anyone we offer cept Pelfrey. Kennedy is on par with Mulvey, Heilman or Humber.

If thats the same as our offer why do it? Why send him to an AL team over the NL if offers are equal? Also if he really wants the NL and the Mets then why risk pissing Santana off? This may be just to scare Omar into throwing in F-Mart which he shouldnt. Screw them. Let them send him to the Skanks and regret it forever when they have their GREAT number 5 pitcher in Kennedy

Is that for real? Well if Smith wants Ian Kennedy and Austin Jackson that bad let him have them. Ian Kennedy is no way near Humber, Gueera or Pelfrey in my opinion. To me Pelfrey is major league ready and what we are offering along with him or the others is far more valuable than that offer from the Skanks. If Cashman gets that deal done I hope we steal him next year to be our GM since he is a free agent.

Kennedy had a monster 19 innings in yankee stadium. its an incredibly small sample size, but his minor league stats are good too.

Id take Pelfrey over him for sure, but how can u say humber and guerra are clearly better?

Humber hasn’t done anything and it’s not like he features particularyl great stuff. He’s lost lots of velo.

Guerra is a projectable teenager that throws hard.

Id take Guerra over Kennedey cuz of his upside, but Humber?

Even if u like our guys better, ucant say our guys are “clearly” better.

also, horne doesnt get much pub becuz of hughes and joba. If horne was in our farm system, ud be crying bloody murder if we traded him for johan.

He’s upper 90s gas and misses bats. A nice pick up after losig Garza.

According to a Mets Fans, Kennedy's #5 pitcher?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Based on these reports, the way I am interpreting the tea leaves is the financial demands of Santana may now be fully revealed and trading partners are responding. Before his requirements may have been implied or seen as a starting point in future negotiations. Perhaps now Santana is putting his demands solidly on the table. If Santana is now at the negotiating table and making a "firm" demand of 6 years and 150 million, then everyone may be adjusting their offers to reflect this 'fixed' element of the deal. ("I will okay any deal with these 3 teams provided I get 6/150. If I don't get my deal then I will wait and get more next year.")

Perhaps everyone is making their "best and final" bid which will include a package of players plus acceptance of a 6/150 contract with Santana.

Again, if that is the case and the Sox have decided that they really don't want to give up Lester, then their best and final would be Ellsbury, Masterson, Lowrie and Kalish. By removing Lester, they may believe that they had to strengthen the 4th player in the deal to "beat" whatever they think the Mets and MFYs will propose.

QUOTE(Quintanariffic @ Jan 27 2008, 11:29 AM) *
But for which fans? If it's the Twins fans, and it would have to be since this was in the Minn paper, what good is sending this message unless you are trying to lay the groundwork for accepting a package where a major part of it is Kalish. If this is the Sox head office trying to send a message, they picked the wrong paper to do so. I don't get it.

I meant for Twins fans; Kalish is a name that has been mentioned in the past, so that's why it was used again in this report, but that it's more general and is only trying to send the message that they (Twins fans) shouldn't also pay attention to the back end of the deal, becuase those prospects they've never heard of may be important down the line. The flip side to this is that the Twins are trying to prepare their fanbase for a slightly disappointing deal on the front end: they're not going to get Lester and Ellsbury, or Hughes and Kennedy. Another motivation for the Twins in sending this message (at least I assume it's coming from the Twins) is probably also to shake loose a "throw in" prospect with high upside to get the deal done.

As to the first part, I never understood why some people would have difficulty believing that was at least PART of the motivation. Why should it have to be either/or? Given the Sox rotation in 2007 and the likelihood of more substantial contributions from guys like Buchholz and Lester in 2008 and beyond, I never understood why this was a deal we HAD to make for baseball reasons. It would be surprising if the Yankee factor WASN'T playing a role in their thinking.

PART of the motivation I understand, it's just that way too many reporters are reacting like it's really the ONLY motivation (granted since I live in NYC I tend to get that side of it as general background noise, and Olney is quite the Yankee apologist a lot of the time). After the Dice-K reporting I really hoped that this meme would be burried, and that when looking at a situation like this the Sox' motivations and ideas might stand on their own.

As to Coco, I couldn't agree more. I'd rather not be left with 2 starting CF when the music stops in Spring Training. At a minimum, you have a lost opportunity in an off-season market when CF are moving all over the place at increasingly ridiculous prices and we have two that are above avg and cost controlled.

But they really had to accept this scenario if they were going to acquire Santana or block the mfy from getting him. If pressed, I'd have to admitt that I think a lesser return on Coco might be worth keeping Santana off the Yankees (especially since it doesn't look like he was going to bring a great deal anyway).

QUOTE(OCD SS @ Jan 27 2008, 11:00 AM) *
I don't think the report out of Minnesota is mentioning Kalish as anything other than an already mentioned name, but I think it points out that the Twins are trying scrape together another prospect in the deal. I think calling Kalish a "throw in" but comparing him to Liriano sends an interesting message to fans who don't follow the minor leagues that closely.

But for which fans? If it's the Twins fans, and it would have to be since this was in the Minn paper, what good is sending this message unless you are trying to lay the groundwork for accepting a package where a major part of it is Kalish. If this is the Sox head office trying to send a message, they picked the wrong paper to do so. I don't get it.

Both reports (but especially Olney's) seem to be pounding "the Sox are in it to drive up the price for the Yankees" drum, which I normally really chaffe at, but am finding it harder and harder to discount. Overall I'd have to give some props to Theo and the FO for playing this one so close to the vest for so long; I just hope that this doesn't leave a deal for Coco as collateral damage (if he doesn't go to the Twins).

As to the first part, I never understood why some people would have difficulty believing that was at least PART of the motivation. Why should it have to be either/or? Given the Sox rotation in 2007 and the likelihood of more substantial contributions from guys like Buchholz and Lester in 2008 and beyond, I never understood why this was a deal we HAD to make for baseball reasons. It would be surprising if the Yankee factor WASN'T playing a role in their thinking.

As to Coco, I couldn't agree more. I'd rather not be left with 2 starting CF when the music stops in Spring Training. At a minimum, you have a lost opportunity in an off-season market when CF are moving all over the place at increasingly ridiculous prices and we have two that are above avg and cost controlled.

I posted this in the News thread, but wanted to comment on it here without taking up extra space.

These are interesting in that I think the general assumption is that the Lester/Crisp package is the one the Red Sox would prefer to do the deal for, with the Sox keeping Ellsbury. We've heard from the Cleveland hitters and John Farrel about Lester, but I (and I think many others) were more than willing to chalk this up to a negotiating stance.

I don't think the report out of Minnesota is mentioning Kalish as anything other than an already mentioned name, but I think it points out that the Twins are trying scrape together another prospect in the deal. I think calling Kalish a "throw in" but comparing him to Liriano sends an interesting message to fans who don't follow the minor leagues that closely.

Both reports (but especially Olney's) seem to be pounding "the Sox are in it to drive up the price for the Yankees" drum, which I normally really chaffe at, but am finding it harder and harder to discount. Overall I'd have to give some props to Theo and the FO for playing this one so close to the vest for so long; I just hope that this doesn't leave a deal for Coco as collateral damage (if he doesn't go to the Twins).

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:04 pm

Yogi "Can"berra

http://canyonofheroes.blogspot.com/

Browsing my favorite blogs, I stumbled across the news that the Yankees have signed two Australian teenagers in recent days. Ever the curious follower of the prospect follies, I did a little digging and came up with a couple of articles and photos for you.

Nathan Aron - IF/OF (16) 6'1", 185

Aron is from Dingley, Victoria and has played for the U14 and U16 clubs in his region. He plays for the same team (Cheltenham) as Australian hero Travis Blackley, who has spent limited time in the Majors with both Seattle and San Francisco. Aron projects as a decent power hitter based largely on size. The only picture I could dig up on the young man is from 2004, when he was 13 years old. He is at the far left and looks rather unimpressive. A current photo would help out a lot.

Kyle Perkins - C (16)

Perkins signed a 7-year deal with the Yankees after being scouted in an U-18 event. The Australians have seen a lot of potential in Perkins and tabbed him eventually for the national team. Interesting to see if he ever pans out and plays in the WBC or at the Olympics. I don't expect much in terms of MLB service (for either of these guys), but the organization is committed to finding talent everywhere and using all its resources to go global. This was equally true of the signing of the two Chinese kids, although I would tend to believe the chances of the two Aussies making the Show have to be exponentially better. I don't have the height and weight details on Perkins, but this photo is current.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:06 pm

Today's Post:

"I will be patient with the young pitchers and players. There's no question about that because I know how these players develop. But as far as missing the playoffs - if we miss the playoffs by the end of this year, I don't know how patient I'll be. But it won't be against the players. It won't be a matter of that. It will be a matter of maybe certain people in the organization could have done something else."

On being the voice of the Yankees on possible trades and signings:
"I don't particularly necessarily enjoy it. It was kind of thrust upon me. At some point, if you're going to be a leader, you've got to step up and you can't hide in the office."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:11 pm

Any idea where the other prospect is from? I’m surprised we’re getting someone from Canberra and not Melbourne. Generally Melbourne is known for Australian sports where as Canberra is just the capital of Australia. Not to downplay it or anything, but Canberra is to Sydney/Melbourne like Albany is to New York City. I lived in Albany, it’s a great place, but a far cry from NYC. I’m going on a rotation to Australia for two years and they asked me if I’d go to Canberra. I said no. That I would wait for an opening in either Melbourne or Sydney, so by the end of the year, I’ll be there. Any additional info you can share would be great.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2