NY Met rookie Adam O'Neill is proof that hard work and self

Go down

NY Met rookie Adam O'Neill is proof that hard work and self

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:39 pm

NY Met rookie Adam O'Neill is proof that hard work and self belief can pay off.

http://www.baseballagent.com.au/Players_News_Pages/O'Neill.htm

St Paul's Yr12 student Adam O'Neill has a busy schedule as he completes his final year of schooling in 2008. Assessments; assignments and exams are ahead of him. Also ahead of him is a professional baseball career with the famous NY Mets.

Mets scout Tony Harris visited Sydney last December to scout some of the NSW players prior to the National U18 Championships being played in Perth in January. Agent Trevor Jarrett asked him to stay behind for the second game that day to look at a client he thought was good enough for selection in the MLB Academy on the Gold Coast. "I knew that no-one knew Adam. He had slipped under the scouts and NSW Institute radar but he was showing dramatic improvement working with Barry Holland following his selection in the NSW U18 team and I wanted Tony to see him before he went back to Adelaide."

Tony takes up the story. " I watched him pitch and I was immediately interested. He had a great arm action, was fluid, had that perfect pitcher's body and kept the ball low with a hard curve that was fooling the hitters. I am standing next to Trevor thinking - not only do I want him at the Academy but I want him for the Mets," said Tony at Adam's home where he was inking in the professional contract that made him a Met. "I was tempted to make Trevor an offer there and then but thought it best to wait till he played in Perth."

Adam began his baseball career playing T Ball at the age of 4 for the Manly Seasiders following in the footsteps of his father who was playing the game after years of cricket. His mother would pick him up from pre-school to take him to training. This started a long career with the same junior club and in fact he holds the club record of over 300 games, quite an achievement. In 2002 he went to Japan with the NSWJBL and the following year was selected in the Winter Development program run by the NSWBL at Oriole Stadium. He had some early success and gained selection in the NSW U14 team that came 3rd in the Series in Mt Gambier.. However, that early recognition soon faded and he found himself overlooked for U16 selection. "That was a bit of a blow and shook my confidence a little and I decided not to try out for bottom age selection in the U18's the following year. He pitched a little for his Manly U18 team and played winter league in the Manly area to give himself more work on the mound. However, he was getting his confidence back and determined that he was going to make a big effort to gain selection in the NSW U18 's for the Series in Perth. "I made the team but knew that there were some things about my action that needed immediately to be addressed. Working under Barry Holland's direction Trevor would pick me up from school every Monday afternoon and work on my action to get the arm slot right. I was disappointed not to have made the NSWIS and so knew that I had to work that little bit harder if I wanted to realise my dreams."

And realise his dreams he did. Not only did he perform well enough to gain possible selection for the Academy and hopefully a spot in the Australian Youth team that will play at the World AAA Championships in Canada but he got a contract with the Mets. Hard work and belief in oneself paid off.

The plan this year is to send him to the MLB Academy on the Gold Coast which is becoming the norm with most clubs these days, enabling the players that little extra time to mature into professional baseball.

"Now that I have signed with the Mets it’s a great feeling, but I know that the hard work is just beginning. I know I have 12 months of dedication to the Mets now getting ready for the 2009 season, but i'm over whelmed with excitement and i'm ready for the challenge. I am happy with my decision to become a Met and cannot wait for 2009 when I get to put the uniform on as a professional baseball player for the New York Mets."

In the meantime he has those final terms of school to get through.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NY Met rookie Adam O'Neill is proof that hard work and self

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Jan 28, 2008 4:43 pm - News: Mets sign Australian High Schooler

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

According to the player’s agent, the Mets have signed 18–year-old Australian high school pitcher Adam O’Neill.

Mets scout Tony Harris, who signed O’Neill…

“I watched him pitch and I was immediately interested. He had a great arm action, was fluid, had that perfect pitcher’s body and kept the ball low with a hard curve that was fooling the hitters.”

For more on O’Neill, click here.

According to the report, O’Neill will first report to Port St. Lucie.

…thanks to NY Mase for the link…

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:41 pm

Jan 28, 2008 4:12 pm - Minors: Those Young Pitchers

http://www.metsblog.com/

...posted by Jordan Zakarin...

…given matt’s post from earlier today, about the team’s young pitching, it makes sense to dig deeper and take a look at the young arms they are apparently so high on…

Here’s a look of some of the top pitchers the Mets have nabbed in the past two June amateur drafts (in no particular order):

Scott Moviel, RHP (2nd round, 2007): Drafted in the second round out of high school this past June, Moviel went 0-2 with a 3.38 ERA for the GCL Mets, tossing 40 innings and allowing 45 hits, but walking only 11 and striking out 37. He’s a power pitcher with a strong feel for his breaking stuff. His ceiling is considered amongst the highest of the Mets’ pitching prospects, and not just because he stands six foot seven.

Brant Rustich, RHP (2nd round, 2007): Rustich is a big (6′6, 225) reliever with big stuff. He began his short debut season with Kingsport of the Appy League, appearing in five games while posting a 0.87 ERA. In 10.1 innings he allowed six hits and a walk, striking out ten. After moving up to Brooklyn, he tossed 12.1 frames in ten games, allowing ten hits. He struggled a bit in Hawaiian Winter Baseball, but the Mets think he had some of the best stuff in last june’s draft, and he could move quickly as a reliever. They also may try him out as a starting pitcher, as he has three plus pitches.

Nathan Vineyard, LHP (1st round supplemental, 2007): A lefty out of Georgia, Vineyard has middle of the rotation potential, to go along with an already plus-slider. His fastball is in the low 90’s and can improve, as he has the size (6′3, 200 lbs) and pitchability to do so. He didn’t fare so well in his pro debut (0-3, 5.27 ERA in 27 IP in the GCL), but is as solid a prospect as you’ll find a year removed from high school.

Nicholas “Cole” Abbott, RHP (25th round, 2007): A lanky, under the radar righty from Utah, Abbott already boasts a low 90’s fastball and a decent breaking ball, despite the lack of experience that comes with growing up in a less than baseball crazy state like Utah. He got beat up in his pro debut (0-3, 7.31 in 10 games), though he pitched mostly from the bullpen. He won’t be on any fast track, but he’s a sleeper type prospect.

Guilluame Leduc, RHP (6th round, 2007): Even lankier at 6′4 and 190, Leduc is a raw talent, coming out of Montreal, where they play only a few months a year and the instruction is less then world class. Still, he has a low 90’s fastball and a decent spinner, and has some potential with ample work.

Nick Carr, RHP (Draft and Follow, 2005): Carr was 5-2 with a 3.80 ERA for Brooklyn. He tossed 66 innings, only allowing 55 hits, and while he tended to lose command at times, walking 27, he struck out an impressive 74 NYP league hitters. He has dominating stuff, though with a herky jerky motion that could eventually send him to the bullpen. He should be in one of the two Class A Leagues this season.

Phillips Orta, RHP (10th round, 2006; signed as DAF, 2007): Born in Venezuela, Orta pitched for Western Nebraska Community College before signing with the Mets. He has a potential plus fastball at 89-94 mph, and can throw a good slider at times. He didn’t put up good numbers in his pro debut, but is another sleeper to keep an eye on as he starts his first full season in pro ball in 2008.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Minors: Those Young Pitchers

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/01/28/minors-those-young-pitchers/#comments

…given matt’s post from earlier today, about the team’s young pitching, it makes sense to dig deeper and take a look at the young arms they are apparently so high on…

Here’s a look of some of the top pitchers the Mets have nabbed in the past two June amateur drafts (in no particular order):

Scott Moviel, RHP (2nd round, 2007): Drafted in the second round out of high school this past June, Moviel went 0-2 with a 3.38 ERA for the GCL Mets, tossing 40 innings and allowing 45 hits, but walking only 11 and striking out 37. He’s a power pitcher with a strong feel for his breaking stuff. His ceiling is considered amongst the highest of the Mets’ pitching prospects, and not just because he stands six foot seven.

Brant Rustich, RHP (2nd round, 2007): Rustich is a big (6′6, 225) reliever with big stuff. He began his short debut season with Kingsport of the Appy League, appearing in five games while posting a 0.87 ERA. In 10.1 innings he allowed six hits and a walk, striking out ten. After moving up to Brooklyn, he tossed 12.1 frames in ten games, allowing ten hits. He struggled a bit in Hawaiian Winter Baseball, but the Mets think he had some of the best stuff in last june’s draft, and he could move quickly as a reliever. They also may try him out as a starting pitcher, as he has three plus pitches.

Nathan Vineyard, LHP (1st round supplemental, 2007): A lefty out of Georgia, Vineyard has middle of the rotation potential, to go along with an already plus-slider. His fastball is in the low 90’s and can improve, as he has the size (6′3, 200 lbs) and pitchability to do so. He didn’t fare so well in his pro debut (0-3, 5.27 ERA in 27 IP in the GCL), but is as solid a prospect as you’ll find a year removed from high school.

Nicholas “Cole” Abbott, RHP (25th round, 2007): A lanky, under the radar righty from Utah, Abbott already boasts a low 90’s fastball and a decent breaking ball, despite the lack of experience that comes with growing up in a less than baseball crazy state like Utah. He got beat up in his pro debut (0-3, 7.31 in 10 games), though he pitched mostly from the bullpen. He won’t be on any fast track, but he’s a sleeper type prospect.

Guilluame Leduc, RHP (6th round, 2007): Even lankier at 6′4 and 190, Leduc is a raw talent, coming out of Montreal, where they play only a few months a year and the instruction is less then world class. Still, he has a low 90’s fastball and a decent spinner, and has some potential with ample work.

Nick Carr, RHP (Draft and Follow, 2005): Carr was 5-2 with a 3.80 ERA for Brooklyn. He tossed 66 innings, only allowing 55 hits, and while he tended to lose command at times, walking 27, he struck out an impressive 74 NYP league hitters. He has dominating stuff, though with a herky jerky motion that could eventually send him to the bullpen. He should be in one of the two Class A Leagues this season.

Phillips Orta, RHP (10th round, 2006; signed as DAF, 2007): Born in Venezuela, Orta pitched for Western Nebraska Community College before signing with the Mets. He has a potential plus fastball at 89-94 mph, and can throw a good slider at times. He didn’t put up good numbers in his pro debut, but is another sleeper to keep an eye on as he starts his first full season in pro ball in 2008.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Jan 28, 2008 2:59 pm - Minors: The Next Crop of Young Pitchers

http://www.metsblog.com/

...posted by Matthew Cerrone...

…there is a new bit of rhetoric coming from the Mets, specifically from the minor-league coaches down in St. Lucie, which goes as follows…

…for the first time in a long while, the Mets are working hard to sign as many young pitchers as they can…they feel they have acquired some of the best young pitching through the draft over the last year or two…so, even if the Mets trade a few minor-league pitchers in the next week or so, they still have a good number of young arms to fill in with over the next few years…

…in other words, if a trade is made, the farm system will not be ‘decimated,’ as so many people have tried to suggest…

…forgive me, but, i’ll believe it when i see it…and that’s no disrespect to the Mets, it’s just i will always have a difficult time getting overly excited about pitching prospects…

…also, for what it’s worth, these same people in florida seem to mention Kevin Mulvey quite a lot, and believe he is capable of competing for the starting rotation during spring training – assuming he is still with the organization…

In their recent Top 10 Prospects List for the Mets, Baseball America ranked Mulvey as the team’s second-best pitching prospect behind RHP Deolis Guerra, and ahead of Philip Humber, writing…

“He’ll open 2008 in Triple-A, but Mulvey could get a look in the rotation by midseason. He projects as a No. 3 or 4 starter.”

The 22-year-old Mulvey was 11–10 with a 3.32 ERA in 26 starts for Double-A Binghamton this past season.

Following the release of Baseball America’s list, the site’s editor, John Manuel, was asked if Mike Pelfrey would have been ranked higher than Mulvey or Guerra, had Pelfrey still have been eligible, to which Manuel responded…

“I don’t imagine he’d rank higher than fourth, and in some ways I’d rather have Kevin Mulvey, who has the fearlessness to throw fastballs in fastball counts and the command to get outs with it. I’m pretty impressed by Mulvey’s season the more I dive into it, though I still see him as more of a No. 4 starter than a No. 3. Pelfrey might end up a reliever if he doesn’t throw more strikes with his fastball.”

…regarding any future trades with, oh, i don’t know, the Twins, i just can’t see how a deal gets made without mulvey being involved, especially if the Mets are unwilling to part with the Teenage Hitting Machine…additionally, i never get the sense that the Twins are very interested in pelfrey, nor was oakland for that matter, which has always been somewhat alarming to me since those two organizations areell-known for having tremendous scouting departments…

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 pm

o Tadihito Iguchi
o Tim Lincecum
o Tom Glavine
o Torii Hunter
o Uncategorized
o Victor Zambrano
o WFAN
o Willie Randolph
o Yankees
o Yorvit Torrealba
o YouTube

January 2008 M T W T F S S
« Dec
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31

Minors: The Next Crop of Young Pitchers

…there is a new bit of rhetoric coming from the Mets, specifically from the minor-league coaches down in St. Lucie, which goes as follows…

…for the first time in a long while, the Mets are working hard to sign as many young pitchers as they can…they feel they have acquired some of the best young pitching through the draft over the last year or two…so, even if the Mets trade a few minor-league pitchers in the next week or so, they still have a good number of young arms to fill in with over the next few years…

…in other words, if a trade is made, the farm system will not be ‘decimated,’ as so many people have tried to suggest…

…forgive me, but, i’ll believe it when i see it…and that’s no disrespect to the Mets, it’s just i will always have a difficult time getting overly excited about pitching prospects…

…also, for what it’s worth, these same people in florida seem to mention Kevin Mulvey quite a lot, and believe he is capable of competing for the starting rotation during spring training – assuming he is still with the organization…

In their recent Top 10 Prospects List for the Mets, Baseball America ranked Mulvey as the team’s second-best pitching prospect behind RHP Deolis Guerra, and ahead of Philip Humber, writing…

“He’ll open 2008 in Triple-A, but Mulvey could get a look in the rotation by midseason. He projects as a No. 3 or 4 starter.”

The 22-year-old Mulvey was 11–10 with a 3.32 ERA in 26 starts for Double-A Binghamton this past season.

Following the release of Baseball America’s list, the site’s editor, John Manuel, was asked if Mike Pelfrey would have been ranked higher than Mulvey or Guerra, had Pelfrey still have been eligible, to which Manuel responded…

“I don’t imagine he’d rank higher than fourth, and in some ways I’d rather have Kevin Mulvey, who has the fearlessness to throw fastballs in fastball counts and the command to get outs with it. I’m pretty impressed by Mulvey’s season the more I dive into it, though I still see him as more of a No. 4 starter than a No. 3. Pelfrey might end up a reliever if he doesn’t throw more strikes with his fastball.”

…regarding any future trades with, oh, i don’t know, the Twins, i just can’t see how a deal gets made without mulvey being involved, especially if the Mets are unwilling to part with the Teenage Hitting Machine…additionally, i never get the sense that the Twins are very interested in pelfrey, nor was oakland for that matter, which has always been somewhat alarming to me since those two organizations are well-known for having tremendous scouting departments…
Posted in Fernando Martinez, Kevin Mulvey, Minors on January 28th, 2008
RSS 2.0 You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

RSS feed
15 Comments »
Comment by DB-Mets
2008-01-28 15:03:11

If we’re going to give up F-mart i dont think we need to give up mulvey with him. Give them Humber and Guerra. Id like to see what Mulvey go for a starting spot mid year.

Comment by Xavier22
2008-01-28 15:09:18

If the Mets are able to keep F-Mart, the Guerra will probably be gone and vice versa. Those seem to be the top two Mets prospects for their positions. Second most valuable are Gomez and Mulvey, followed by everyone else mentioned.

As Gomez and Mulvey are closer to being major league ready than F-Mart and Guerra, they may be of more interest to the Twins. But if Ryan Church is included in the package, that would probably change their thinking on Gomez.

Comment by HOFMets57
2008-01-28 15:12:48

Matt makes a good point. MIN and OAK are supposed to have tremendous scouts. It’s just hard to see WHY they would pass on Pelfrey so easily. He’s well over 6′ tall (6′7″ I think) and throws in the upper 90s. Maybe they’re just looking at his ML stats. What I’ve seen of Mike is a potential frontline superstar should he harness his split/sinker and locate his fastballs. Maybe a Wang or Webb…

Comment by Mister Koo
2008-01-28 15:12:57

Pelfrey was highly touted when he was throwing heat and striking out more than a batter per inning in the minors. Then, in spring training 2007, they told him to ease off the heat and just try to become a sinkerball pitcher. Since then, it has been his value has been sinking. This happened to Heilman, and when he returned to the 3/4 arm slot that got him his first round pick, he succeeded. How about letting Pelfrey just throw heat. His most successful start against Atlanta (6IP, 1H, 7K) he was doing just that. Enough with this junkball stuff.
Comment by mikey_FF
2008-01-28 15:16:50

Yeah that’s a great point. How bout let these guys throw their natural way and stop trying to re-invent their mechanics and mindset. What works for some guys doesn’t mean it will work for everyone.

Comment by MudvilleNine
2008-01-28 17:47:28

Can you imagine the damage these pitching coaches would have done to a young Nolan Ryan?

Comment by BringBackDaveTelgheder
2008-01-28 15:18:19

Even good organizations are wrong on players. Look what the A’s got back for Hudson, they misvalued every player involved.

I’m not positive, but can they be scared off from Pelfrey’s signing bonus? Is that split between multiple years or is it a lump sum when we first signed him?

Comment by absentminded
2008-01-28 15:20:24

I like Mulvey too. It’s the attitude.

I think when you talk about the lower minors with the mets, it’s guys like Nick Carr, Jon Niese, Phillips Orta, Nathan Vineyard, Scott Moviel, et al that get people excited. They won’t get much press except in dedicated prospect discussions (like on Toby Hyde’s blog). We have to wait and see how they develop though.

There’s also the issue of slotting and the talent we passed up as a result. Two names from the last two drafts are Pedro Beato and Brandon Efferson who we passed on because of money issues. Once this changes, as it’s supposed to this year, we should see even more talent coming through the pipeline.

Comment by gowrightgo
2008-01-28 15:25:24

I must be an idiot but I dont understand the post. Are the pitchers pitching in St Lucie unsigned draftpicks that we will now sign or are there a bunch of kids we drafted that are yet to be signed by us and pitching in college or independent leagues or something?

who are the kids that will be signed and what do they throw?
Comment by absentminded
2008-01-28 15:29:16

Matt thinks the mets organization may be hedging the impact of a Santana trade. Mulvey and Guerra are the top of the mets pitching pile right now. After that you have a lot of young pitchers most fans have never heard of.

Alternatively it means some of these guys are legit. We’ll learn a lot today.
Comment by gowrightgo
2008-01-28 15:35:48

thx
(Comments wont nest below this level)

Comment by stickguy
2008-01-28 15:27:53

well, if Mulvey is that highly regarded, Gomez + Mulvey is already a pretty substantial package. Certainly good stuff if the swap in Martinez.

So skip putting Guerra in their too.

Gomez, Mulvey, Humber is a lot, so the 4th guy should be a lower tier or younger guy (so harder to project)

If all this Santana talk has done anything, it is to make me more excited to see some of the prospects develop. I really think they will be in better shape this year over last year with the rotation, even if there are some injuries.

That, and I would still love to see them pick up a solid 3 type (like Snell) for a smaller prospect package than Johan might command.

Comment by Reyes es el Rey
2008-01-28 15:28:09

Pretty sure those signing bonuses go out all at once during his first year with the org.

Gosh, are the Mets terrible at developing their pitchers or what? “Hey guys, this kid was great in college and in the lower minor leauges,but that was because of too many fastballs and an armslot he was comfortable with. He needs to learn a slider and a forkball and throw those all the time with a new armslot that we think is good. Then before he has fully developed all the secondary pitches we’ve forced on him we’re gonna move him up two levels at a time and bring up to the majors a season too soon. He’s bound to be a phenom!”

Then after predictably failing in the majors: “This guy sucks! Let’s just trade him for an old guy with veteran leadership ability. We need somebody PROVEN at the ML level”

Just let Pelf work out of the pen for chrissakes!

Comment by Reyes es el Rey
2008-01-28 15:30:36

Generation K 2.0!

Comment by sepmets
2008-01-28 16:08:43

Scott Boras is Pelfrey’s agent. Maybe that is why the Twins and Athletics are ignoring him.

Click here to cancel "reply".
Name
URI
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)
You may use <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong> in your comment.
« Buzz: LENIII Still Ranks Mets as Favorites Note: Tonight’s SNY’s Hot Stove Report »

Mets Sites & Boards

news

Inside Pitch Magazine Online
MetsFanClub.com
NY Sports Day
Gotham Baseball Magazine
Shea Baseball
Ultimate Mets Database
Very Unofficial Mets Site
MightyMets.com

message boards

Happy Recap
Mets Board
ProSportsDaily
Other MLB Blogs

Baseball Digest Daily

new york sports

NY Baseball Online

Subway Heroes

phillies

Phillies Nation

Phillies Flow

Beer Leaguer

braves

Braves Journal

nationals

NatFanatics.com

Federal Baseball

Ball Wonk

marlins

Marlins Today

Fishstripes

Deep Fried Fish Blog

minor leagues

Minor League Ball

Around the Minors w/ Mayo

stats

FanGraphs.com

The Baseball Cube Blog

The Hardball Times

Statistically Speaking

fantasy baseball

RotoAuthority

other baseball teams

Athletics Nation
(oakland a's)

Catfish Stew
(oakland a's)

Dodger Thoughts
(dodgers)

Aaron Gleeman
(mostly twins)

Bat-Girl
(twins)

Yankees 2000: Promote the Curse
(anti-yankees commentary)

Yankees Chick
(pro-yankees commentary)

Bronx Banter
(yankees)

CardNilly.com
(stl cardinals)

Drays Bay
(devil rays)

Pearly Gates
(angels)

U.S.S. Mariner
(mariners)

beat writer blogs

Braves w/ Dave O'Brien

Red Sox w/ Gordon and Chris

Angels w/ Mark Saxon

Yankees w/ Pete Abraham

everything else

Biz of Baseball

American Legends

Lady Batting

Touch

Deadspin.com< /font>

Carl 's Inside Pitch

Baseball Think Factory

Baseball Musings

Futility Infielder

Baseball News Blog

Baseball Crank

Baseball Analysts

YAY! Sports

On Baseball

Student of the Game

MLB Trade Rumors.com

The Baseball Card Blog

Around the Diamond

Fanalyze.com

Krazed Sports & News

Can't Stop the Bleeding

Sports Blogs Daily

funny baseball

On the DL

Spoiled Sports

Bad Beat Baseball Blog
Go
Order Yankees World Series Tickets, Red Sox World Series Tickets, Cubs World Series Tickets, Angels World Series Tickets, Phillies World Series Tickets and Indians World Series Tickets from GOtickets.com
Coast to Coast
Coast to Coast tickets carries MLB tickets for all teams including Mets tickets in New York. We also have great Yankees tickets for sale. For the NFL fan we have premium New York Giants tickets and the best Jets tickets in town!
MTC

MTC Tickets

We offer the best New York Mets Tickets, Yankees Tickets, Boston Red Sox Tickets, St. Louis Cardinals Tickets, and all other Events Tickets.
Online Seats

Worlds Series Tickets
New York Mets Tickets
Yankees Tickets
Red Sox Tickets
Concert Tickets
Prime

MLB Baseball Tickets
NY Mets Tickets
NY Yankees Tickets
Red Sox Tickets
New York Tickets

NFL Football Tickets
Concert Tickets
Broadway Tickets
Sports Tickets
Ticket Broker
ACE

Mets Tickets
Yankees Tickets
Jets Tickets
Giants Tickets
Sports Tickets
Ticket Specialists

Mets Tickets
New York Concerts
NY Jets Tickets
Wicked Tickets New York
Baseball Tickets
Ticko

Get your New York Mets tickets and 2007 World Series tickets at TickCo.com tickets! Your source for Jets tickets and Giants tickets too
BetUS
BetUS online Sportsbook - America's favorite sports betting web site for baseball betting, football betting and lots more sports betting action.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Clemens sowing seeds of doubt
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob

Yes, the Clemens Report (pdf here) has arrived. Penned by Clemens' management agency, the report contains no mention of "steroids" or "HGH" or any other (supposed) performance-enhancing drug, but then that's obviously the point: One doesn't need to refer to drugs to explain the Rocket's brilliant career.

Do we need 49 closely argued pages to make the point, though?

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for information, and this is a valuable document because it contains a great deal of information. But the authors of the report have a long and successful history of making the case for their clients in arbitration hearings (I worked, in a peripheral sort of way, on some of their cases in the early 1990s), and their report reads more like a one-sided arbitration case than rigorous analysis.

Here's one representative passage:

One simply does not find straight trend lines in performance in major league baseball. A baseball career mimics life, in that there are good days and bad days, hot streaks and cold spells, as well as good years and bad years, both within and across seasons. A wide variety of factors determine the success of a player, including the player's health, the quality of his team, and the pitcher or hitter he happens to be facing in a particular at bat. As the chart and graph above demonstrate, Roger Clemens' baseball career is no exception.

What's graphed is Clemens' "ERA Margin" season by season. ERA Margin -- the raw difference between a pitcher's ERA and his league's ERA -- isn't great, but it's simple and that's how arbitrators like their statistics.

It's true: One doesn't often find "straight trend lines" … but you know, some trend lines are straighter than others. Clemens' shows one decline for three straight seasons, and one improvement for three straight seasons, but otherwise his line's up and down with no apparent pattern.

Which isn't so interesting. What's interesting? According to the report, "The year-to-year variations of Roger Clemens' ERA Margin are by no means unusual. An analysis of two distinguished contemporaries of Clemens, Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling, shows that year-to-year variations in ERA Margin are to be expected throughout the career of a starting pitcher."

Then we see Johnson's and Schilling's trend lines, and of course we do see those year-to-year variations … but they're not nearly as dramatic as Clemens'!

This is an old lawyer's trick: Say something that's true but not particularly meaningful, and then hope nobody pays a great deal of attention to the actual evidence. But if you actually look? Schilling was roughly the same pitcher for 10 years (1995 through 2004), was hurt in 2005, and in 2006 and '07 was again good (if obviously aging). Johnson improved for a few years when he was young, maintained a general level of excellence for 10 years (1993-2002), was hurt in 2003, and since then has suffered the typical fate of pitchers in their early 40s.

Next up is Nolan Ryan, and here's where Clemens' lawyers might rest their case. As the report notes, "The graph of Ryan's ERA Margin most closely resembles that of Clemens. … As with Clemens, Ryan posted two of his highest ERA Margins after the age of 40, from 1987 to 1993."

Well, OK. So in our imaginary courtroom, Clemens' defender can point to Nolan Ryan … and his prosecutor can point to nearly every other pitcher, ever. If you're the jury, who do you believe?

This of course is just a portion of the report. In the interest of getting something posted here, I've just skimmed the rest of it. The central conclusions are obvious, though:

1. Pitchers' careers do not follow a predictable path.

2. Clemens' career path has not been extraordinary, considering his talents.

3. Thus, we needn't look to steroids to explain that career path.

Points 1 and 2 both are arguable, but an arbitrator might buy them if skillfully made. Point 3 is certainly true, as there have been plenty of odd-looking career paths that had nothing to do with drugs.

Does the Clemens Report prove anything? No. But of course it's not meant to prove anything. It's meant to sow a few more seeds of doubt. The Clemens Report essentially says, "You think he used steroids because his career was strange. But really it wasn't so strange. So why would you think he used steroids?"

We think he used steroids because his career was unusually strange. And because a fairly credible witness says he did. Which doesn't mean he did. I just don't know that an arbitration case is really going to convince anybody.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down