Chamberlain could start '08 in bullpen before

Go down

Chamberlain could start '08 in bullpen before

Post  RedMagma on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Chamberlain could start '08 in bullpen before moving to Yanks' starting rotation

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3219462

Updated: January 28, 2008, 7:49 PM ET

TAMPA, Fla. -- Joba Chamberlain could begin this season in the bullpen before moving to the New York Yankees' starting rotation.

Joba Chamberlain

Chamberlain

Chamberlain, a sensational reliever as a big league rookie last season, is already throwing off a mound -- more than two weeks before the start of spring training. The Yankees plan to use him as a starter this year, the role he was accustomed to in the minors and college. But the team wants to limit his overall innings, which means beginning 2008 in the bullpen is one option under consideration.

"We're going to have a plan going into spring training," new Yankees pitching coach Dave Eiland said Monday. "There already has been ideas tossed around. I think we have a pretty good handle on what we're going to do going into it."

The 22-year-old Chamberlain wasted little time getting back to work Monday. Just hours after receiving an award Sunday night in New York, the hard-throwing right-hander returned to Florida for his second bullpen session.

"We're right on the schedule that's going to lead us up to the opening of camp," Eiland said. "It's a real good situation here."

Phil Hughes and Jeff Karstens also are working out with Eiland, and both have thrown two mound sessions. Other pitchers, including Ian Kennedy, who don't live near the Yankees' facility are taking part in throwing programs at home.

"It's running along smooth like it always has here," Eiland said. "I've already talked to all the veteran guys, too. We're all on the same page. We're all preparing to get started."

Eiland thinks the early hands-on sessions with the young pitchers are important.

"Veteran guys, they know what they need to do," Eiland said. "This is Joba's first major league camp. This will be Ian's first major league camp. Phil's going into camp as a member of the team. Now going in, I'm going to know exactly what these guys have been doing for the past month. And I'm preparing them for the program that we're going to be doing in spring training. So that's huge. It's a huge advantage."

Eiland is entering his first season as Yankees pitching coach. He worked with Chamberlain and Hughes in the minors and spent time with them with the big league club last September.

"You prepare guys and you do the work that you have always done to get them ready to pitch," Eiland said. "Obviously, they're pitching at the highest level now, but they can't be somebody they're not. So you still prepare them and get them ready to attack hitters with their equipment. The game is still the same. You're just facing the best of the best now. You make adjustments. You just don't make any major changes."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

This could be a good idea. You give him time to try out some of his other pitches besides fastball and slider in the majors, while at the same time keep him from being over worked down the stetch. Plus This allows the yankees to not have to worry about their starting five for a little bit longer.,

Joba is great in the bullpen. I think it's a good idea to let him start, but I think the Yankees would be better off with him in the bullpen and not the rotation.
It could hurt his arm throwing all those innings, he's only 22. But if they want to test him, go for it

joba will kick #### no matter where he pitches, in the pen or as a starter, the true yankee fan should be excited that karstens is in the mix and throwing with the big boys, this is what we need hungry young pitchers fighting to play not overpaid losers out there to make a paycheck

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chamberlain could start '08 in bullpen before

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:39 am

Baseball notes: Yanks have option to keep Cano for six years
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Email this story Printer friendly version

Cano set to sign

Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano will be traveling to New York in the next few days to finalize a contract that could net him $57 million over the next six years, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. The deal is pending completion of a physical.

Cano agreed in principle Monday to a four-year, $28 million deal with two club options. Cano will earn $14 million in 2012, or the Yankees could buy out his option for $2 million. He'll earn $15 million in 2013, or the Yanks could buy him out for $2 million.

-- Pete Caldera

Bedard on hold

Talks between the Seattle Mariners and Baltimore Orioles about a trade involving ace pitcher Erik Bedard are at a standstill.

A source familiar with the negotiations said a potential deal is being held up on the Orioles' end and unspecified issues still need to be resolved. One of those might be Orioles president Andy MacPhail obtaining the approval of owner Peter Angelos.

Mariners center fielder Adam Jones, the centerpiece of Seattle's offer for Bedard, had been expected to be in Baltimore Monday in preparation for a physical today, a club source said. However, those plans were scuttled, an indication that the deal has hit a snag or is on hold.

Phillies add Feliz

Free agent third baseman Pedro Feliz has agreed to a two-year contract with the Philadelphia Phillies worth about $8.5 million.

The deal includes a team option for 2010, a person familiar with the negotiations said Monday.

Feliz batted .253 with 20 homers and 72 RBI for San Francisco last season. He's an upgrade over the trio of Greg Dobbs, Wes Helms and Abraham Nunez, who combined for 11 homers and 76 RBI last year.

Rangers court Ryan

Nolan Ryan could be a candidate to become president of the Texas Rangers. The Hall of Fame pitcher met with Rangers owner Tom Hicks about the possibility of taking the job.

"They did ask permission to visit with me and there was some discussion during lunch about what they're looking for in the presidency -- I think just to see what my interest level might be," Ryan said Monday.

Feds find Knoblauch

Former Yankees second baseman Chuck Knoblauch agreed to talk to a House committee investigating drug use in baseball.

The committee issued a subpoena for Knoblauch last week after he failed to respond to an invitation to testify. Knoblauch was supposed to give a deposition Jan. 24, but officials originally could not locate Knoblauch.

"We are pleased that Mr. Knoblauch has agreed to voluntarily participate in a transcribed interview or deposition with the committee," said Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Sox trade pitchers

The Red Sox obtained reliever David Aardsma from the White Sox for Willy Mota and Miguel Socolovich in a trade involving three right-handed pitchers.

Aardsma started last season with Chicago and went 2-1 with a 6.40 ERA. Mota had 17 relief outings last year at Class A Lowell and Socolovich pitched for two Class A teams.

Briefs

Nationals catcher Paul Lo Duca had surgery on his left knee and is expected to be sidelined four to six weeks. ... Pitcher Todd Wellemeyer and the Cardinals agreed to a one-year contract.

-- News service reports

Cano set to sign

Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano will be traveling to New York in the next few days to finalize a contract that could net him $57 million over the next six years, according to a source familiar with the negotiations. The deal is pending completion of a physical.

Cano agreed in principle Monday to a four-year, $28 million deal with two club options. Cano will earn $14 million in 2012, or the Yankees could buy out his option for $2 million. He'll earn $15 million in 2013, or the Yanks could buy him out for $2 million.

-- Pete Caldera

Bedard on hold

Talks between the Seattle Mariners and Baltimore Orioles about a trade involving ace pitcher Erik Bedard are at a standstill.

A source familiar with the negotiations said a potential deal is being held up on the Orioles' end and unspecified issues still need to be resolved. One of those might be Orioles president Andy MacPhail obtaining the approval of owner Peter Angelos.

Mariners center fielder Adam Jones, the centerpiece of Seattle's offer for Bedard, had been expected to be in Baltimore Monday in preparation for a physical today, a club source said. However, those plans were scuttled, an indication that the deal has hit a snag or is on hold.

Phillies add Feliz

Free agent third baseman Pedro Feliz has agreed to a two-year contract with the Philadelphia Phillies worth about $8.5 million.

The deal includes a team option for 2010, a person familiar with the negotiations said Monday.

Feliz batted .253 with 20 homers and 72 RBI for San Francisco last season. He's an upgrade over the trio of Greg Dobbs, Wes Helms and Abraham Nunez, who combined for 11 homers and 76 RBI last year.

Rangers court Ryan

Nolan Ryan could be a candidate to become president of the Texas Rangers. The Hall of Fame pitcher met with Rangers owner Tom Hicks about the possibility of taking the job.

"They did ask permission to visit with me and there was some discussion during lunch about what they're looking for in the presidency -- I think just to see what my interest level might be," Ryan said Monday.

Feds find Knoblauch

Former Yankees second baseman Chuck Knoblauch agreed to talk to a House committee investigating drug use in baseball.

The committee issued a subpoena for Knoblauch last week after he failed to respond to an invitation to testify. Knoblauch was supposed to give a deposition Jan. 24, but officials originally could not locate Knoblauch.

"We are pleased that Mr. Knoblauch has agreed to voluntarily participate in a transcribed interview or deposition with the committee," said Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Sox trade pitchers

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:41 am

Mets waiting on Twins
Johan Santana | Twins | Interested: Mets? Yankees? Red Sox?
A MLB executive with knowledge of the Johan Santana trade talks tells 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand that the Mets feel the ball is in the Twins' court and the Mets have felt, all along, if the Twins were to trade Santana it would likely be before spring training.

The Mets are believed to have proposed a package of Carlos Gomez, Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Phil Humber. The Twins would also like the Mets' No. 1 prospect, Fernando Martinez, but Mets GM Omar Minaya hasn't been willing to include Martinez in a trade. Ryan Church could also be in the mix.

According to a report in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, a deal could be done within 10 days, and the Mets have emerged as the front-runner mostly based on their open willingness to deal top prospects to the Twins, but the Yankees and Red Sox still lurk in the shadows.

On Friday, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told a gathering of fans at William Paterson University in New Jersey that he'd like to pass on Santana.

The Red Sox remain a dark horse, with a package that would include pitcher Jon Lester and either Coco Crisp or Jacoby Ellsbury.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:47 am

Red Sox Desperate for pitching
STINGRAYMAGIC Post #1: Jan 28, 5:30 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 179
The Boston Red Sox ,being desperate for pitching, acquired David Ardsama from the Chicago White Sox. The Red Sox gave up two non roster pitchers.
raysfan1988 Post #2: Jan 28, 5:38 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2163

Stinger, its like they say "you can never have enough pitching".
STINGRAYMAGIC Post #3: Jan 28, 5:43 pm Quote | Report Violation

I agree , you can never have too much pitching. But when you see a team like Boston taking pitchers off the waiver wire, it is a good sign for us that they know they have a weakness and that they also know what they have in house they are not comfortable with.
bluburt Post #4: Jan 28, 5:46 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1833
I believe that Aardsma was just designated for assignment by the White Sox, so the cost could not have been too high for a pitcher that was taken 22nd overall in the 2003 draft.
raysfan1988 Post #5: Jan 28, 5:46 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2163

I agree , you can never have too much pitching. But when you see a team like Boston taking pitchers off the waiver wire, it is a good sign for us that they know they have a weakness and that they also know what they have in house they are not comfortable with.

You could think of it that way OR maybe they are happy with what they have but they are trying to see if he can impress them. Kinda like Pena last year. Everyone always wants a cheap player who performs very well. But if they cant perform, than owell. Its worth a look at least.
STINGRAYMAGIC Post #6: Jan 28, 5:51 pm Quote | Report Violation

One thing I give Terry Francona credit for is that he knows that pitchers cannot be over exposed, because if they are, they become less effective.

The truth is : Boston's pitching staff is not as good as their 2007 stats and Terry Francona would be the first to admit it.

Variety is a way to get more out of less.
bluburt Post #7: Jan 28, 5:56 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1833

How 'bout this being a chance to add a guy who maybe you think you can straighten out, that has a major league arm for two guys you believe have little chance to ever make it to the bigs...Seems like a good gamble to me...The Red Sox can always keep him in triple A if need be...

FYI, I am not a Red Sox fan, I am a Giant fan...The team that drafted Aardsma in the first place, then rushed to the big leagues...
STINGRAYMAGIC Post #8: Jan 28, 6:01 pm Quote | Report Violation

How 'bout this being a chance to add a guy who maybe you think you can straighten out, that has a major league arm for two guys you believe have little chance to ever make it to the bigs...Seems like a good gamble to me...The Red Sox can always keep him in triple A if need be...

FYI, I am not a Red Sox fan, I am a Giant fan...The team that drafted Aardsma in the first place, then rushed to the big leagues...

The Giants are loaded with young pitching throughout their minor league system.

We (Tampa Bay) got one of your pitchers last week. Scott Munter, who when he is right, has a good sinker ball. You are correct. These pitchers may or may not become successful.
I cAnT wAtCh Post #9: Jan 28, 6:45 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1710

Scott Munter, who when he is right, has a good sinker ball. You are correct. These pitchers may or may not become successful.

Rays desperate for pitching. Why else would they acquire Scott Munter (according to your logic)?

BTW, David Aardsma has way better stuff than Scott Munter...I'm sure you'll deny this also. Fact is, if the Rays would've gotten Aardsma, you'd probably be going all "goo-goo-ga-ga" over the whole situation.
papatimsmurf032 Post #10: Jan 28, 6:52 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 626
If adding another pitcher equates to being desperate for pitching then I guess the D'Rays are desperate fao Offence, defence, Pitchg and relief pitching because they added some of each .OOOOPs Nevermind , They are.
papatimsmurf032 Post #11: Jan 28, 6:53 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 626
Stingray is going back to school. He is desperate for a brain.
xJokerz Post #12: Jan 28, 7:29 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1079

REd Sox have top 5 pitching in the leauge

thread over.

tony20sbestfan Post #13: Jan 28, 9:07 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1231

The Boston Red Sox ,being desperate for pitching, acquired David Ardsama from the Chicago White Sox. The Red Sox gave up two non roster pitchers.

Back to title. Oh man, that's got to be your funniest post yet. Boston lacks good pitching? Too funny!
Baseballchamps89 Post #14: Jan 28, 9:18 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 56

being a pitcher myself i do know this you can never have enough strike throwers. in a blowout you just want someone to come in and throw strikes. same thing in a jam you dont want people walking n whatnot. 162 games and at least 1458 innings a year a person who can come in and eat 60 innings is amazing.
The_Bastonian74 Post #15: Jan 28, 10:25 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 839

It appears to me that the sox are in pretty good shape in pitching, to where they don't really care to want Santana but are willing to take time and see if this dude from the chi-sox pans out........

Its always nice to not be pressured into having to make a deal for a star, and even nicer when you can try to work out reclaimation projects to see if you can get success without spending a fortune or sacraficing the farm....
STINGRAYMAGIC Post #16: Jan 28, 10:56 pm Quote | Report Violation

It appears to me that the sox are in pretty good shape in pitching, to where they don't really care to want Santana but are willing to take time and see if this dude from the chi-sox pans out........

Its always nice to not be pressured into having to make a deal for a star, and even nicer when you can try to work out reclaimation projects to see if you can get success without spending a fortune or sacraficing the farm....

Boston (same as the Yankees) want Santana, the problem is niether want to pay the asking price (prospects) for Santana. Different spending money, but when you have to give up players, they both are afraid.
Minutemen429 Post #17: Jan 28, 11:16 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 33
Stingray assuming Tampa could pay the salary Santana is going to demand what Tampa prospects would you give up for him? That being said the Sox have a top 5 farm system right now with the strenghth being pitching, I don't think desperate is the right word to describe the Sox desire for Santana. Santana is one of the best pitchers in the game every team would love to have him on their roster.
Skeeter2410 Post #18: Jan 28, 11:28 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 5025

Boston (same as the Yankees) want Santana, the problem is niether want to pay the asking price (prospects) for Santana. Different spending money, but when you have to give up players, they both are afraid.

EVERY team wants Santana. EVERY team has a place for Santana - right at the top o ftheir rotation. Difference in the Sox, Yankees, and Mets is that they are willing to talk seriously to the Twins about acquiring Santana. Yes, even your Rays would have Santana at the head of its rotation - way ahead of Kazmir. Problem with the Rays seriously trying to acquire Santana is that he will probably make almost as much each year with his extension as the entire rays team.

Now, about the Red Sox acquring a pitcher - Do you even know what spring training is all about? Did you know that every team acquires more pitchers than they need? Are you aware that every team throws mediocre pitchers out there in ST games to give some token competition for spots? Who were the players that the Red Sox gave up, and what are the odds any of them would see one regular season game with the Red Sox in the rest of their lives?

You should really pay attention to the way things work in baseball, stingray...

Clan in da front Post #19: 2:36 am Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 333
You can never have enough arms and Boston obviously has plenty. He's a low risk pitcher with potential, not a bad trade. What is with your obsession with the Red Sox?
LiferYank Post #20: Jan 28, 7:00 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 943

Its the giving up the prospects AND having to pay him the richest pitcher contract ever. Or did that cross your mind.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:52 am

It's still a no-decision
But the Santana watch is getting into crunch time

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/01/29/its_still_a_no_decision/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Red+Sox+news

With Red Sox pitchers and catchers due to report on Valentine's Day, the endgame appears at hand for Twins pitcher Johan Santana, who should know before the start of spring training what uniform he will be wearing in 2008.

His most ardent suitors remain the Red Sox and both New York teams, the Mets and Yankees. "Another Boston-New York matchup," one Sox official predicted, though privately, the Sox remain uncertain of the Twins' intentions.

The Mets, needing an ace at the top of their rotation and looking for another selling point a year before moving into their new ballpark, are the most openly covetous.

Publicly, the Sox are masking their intentions, while privately expressing conflicted emotions about not only parting with top prospects but having to pay Santana what likely will be the largest contract ever awarded a pitcher.

The Yankees, meanwhile, appear to be backtracking, general manager Brian Cashman recently saying, "My strong recommendation is we stick with our young pitching staff and keep it in house. I'm married to that process."

New Yankees owner Hank Steinbrenner also has said he intends to exercise patience with his young players, but the bloodlines suggest that Steinbrenner could change his mind if Santana appears bound for Boston.

The Twins have offered a contract extension to Santana, who is eligible for free agency after this season. Twins assistant GM Rob Antony told reporters over the weekend that the team's offer to Santana, believed to be at least $80 million for four years, remains on the table, but the two-time Cy Young Award winner appears committed to seeking a bigger payday elsewhere. The Twins, of course, don't have to do anything, but there is an expectation from all interested parties, including Santana, that that is the least likely option.

No Sox officials would comment on the record yesterday, but one club official confirmed that contact with the Twins is ongoing and that, contrary to one published report, lefthander Jon Lester remains a possible trading chip. There have been recent indications that the Sox would prefer the Twins accept a package built around outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, although logic would suggest that Minnesota, already having lost one starting pitcher, Carlos Silva, to free agency, and having traded another, Matt Garza, would want a big-league-ready pitcher in return.

Sox manager Terry Francona recently heaped praise on Lester.

"He looks like he got tall," Francona said. "He looks big and strong.

"I think if you asked Jon, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't know how well thought of he is here. He knows what we think of him. He's still here, and I don't think anyone is complaining. I think the only one that thinks he might be better [than I do] is John Farrell, which is nice. We're going to fight over who thinks he's going to be better."

Reports out of New York say that the Mets have offered a package of prospects that includes pitchers Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey, and Deolis Guerra and outfielder Carlos Gomez. The Twins reportedly want outfielder Fernando Martinez to be included, which the Mets have so far resisted.

The Sox have so far stood firm in not offering Lester and Ellsbury in the same package. Outfielder Coco Crisp has been offered, along with Lester, plus a combination of prospects that includes pitcher Justin Masterson, infielder Jed Lowrie, and reportedly 19-year-old outfielder Ryan Kalish. Ellsbury is the centerpiece of the club's other offer, packaged with the same prospects.

One club official said he would not be surprised if a deal was struck this week; Epstein was not available for comment.

In the meantime, the Sox took a flier on a former No. 1 draft pick and acquired righthanded reliever David Aardsma from the White Sox. For a brief stretch last season, Aardsma showed the promise he exhibited as the closer who helped Rice win the 2003 College World Series and that made him the Giants' first choice that June.

Aardsma was 2-0, with a 1.31 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 20 2/3 innings in his first 14 appearances. His 23 strikeouts in April led AL relievers, and he cited a new split-fingered fastball and a better slider as the reasons for his success. But two brutal outings against the Cubs sent him into a downward spiral; he had a 16.55 ERA in his last 10 appearances, allowing 25 hits and 19 earned runs in 10 1/3 innings.

The White Sox sent him to Triple A Charlotte on the Fourth of July, and did not summon him back.

To obtain the 26-year-old righthander, the Red Sox gave up minor league pitchers Willy Mota and Miguel Socolovich. Aardsma was added to the 40-man major league roster.

The Sox have sold more than 2.3 million tickets for the 2008 season, a record-setting pace

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 am

No movement on any Santana deal
Michael Silverman By Michael Silverman / Red Sox Notebook
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - Updated 2h ago

http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1069729

The Red Sox [team stats], Yankees and Mets remain in a holding pattern as the Twins keep Johan Santana grounded on their Minnesota runway.

While the Twins are expected to make up their minds on a trading partner before spring training opens in less than three weeks, the Sox are believed to be sticking to their two offers for the two-time Cy Young Award-winning left-hander. One of the offers is headlined by lefty Jon Lester [stats] and center fielder Coco Crisp [stats], while the other is topped by outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, according to an executive from an American League club.

The Mets are considered to be the current front-runner for Santana, with a youth-oriented package that might also include major league outfielder Ryan Church. The Red Sox and Yankees still are waiting for the moment when the Twins decide to cut back on their asking price on talent.

No matter the offer the Twins opt to accept, the club who trades for Santana will have just 72 hours to hammer out a long-term contract extension that likely will be the richest ever for a pitcher.

The Mets’ need for Santana is considered to be the greatest of the three teams, followed by the Yankees. By all accounts, the Red Sox will not shed any tears if the Mets get Santana and the Sox can keep their young talent, maintain payroll and avoid seeing Santana in pinstripes.

Trade lands Aardsma

By trading a pair of Single-A right-handers - Willy Mota and Miguel Socolovich - to the Chicago White Sox, the Red Sox will find out if David Aardsma can regain some of his early 2007 magic.

Last spring, Aardsma was one of the more effective relievers in all of baseball, with 26 strikeouts in 20 innings covering his first 14 appearances, a 2-0 record and 1.31 ERA. Aardsma’s control deserted him, however, and he spent the rest of the season in Triple A.

. . .

The Red Sox still are looking at left-handed-hitting first basemen.

So far, the names of the three free agents heard frequently along Yawkey Way are Brad Wilkerson, Tony Clark and Sean Casey. The Mariners are believed to be ready to sign Wilkerson, however, pending the completion of their rumored trade for Baltimore Orioles lefty Erik Bedard.

Ahead of schedule

After a weekend of single-game ticket sales, the Red Sox announced they have sold 2,343,204 tickets already for 2008, a 2.9 percent increase from the same date last year. Red Sox president and CEO Larry Lucchino said anti-scalping measures instituted for the online sale resulted in delays.

“We truly appreciate this demonstration of support from our fans,” he said in a statement. “The Red Sox are committed in our efforts to make certain that our tickets get into the hands of more individuals.”
Read the Clubhouse Insider for the latest Red Sox news at bostonherald.com.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:01 am

January 28, 2008
Giants are all business in Arizona

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/

The Giants are on a mission. They’re making that perfectly clear. And they don’t plan to leave Arizona empty-handed.

“We’re not here to hand out the Lombardi Trophy,” said linebacker Antonio Pierce. “We’re not Roger Goodell.”

It was a very confident Giants team that arrived here tonight at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa in Chandler, Ariz. They arrived all dressed in black suits, at the suggestion of Pierce, partly as a show of team unity and partly as a show of something else.

“Isn’t black considered business attire?” Pierce said.

Yes it is, and that’s why Pierce chose the color when Tom Coughlin told him he was in charge of the Super Bowl dress code. For what it’s worth, he said about 80% of the team followed suit (no pun intended). Some of them - like Pierce, Michael Strahan and Plaxico Burress - were dressed in black from head to toe.

I don’t know what it means. I would’ve been more excited had they shown up in fatigues like the University of Miami did at the Fiesta Bowl here in 1987. Of course, there probably aren’t many current Giants players old enough to remember that.

Rookie cornerback Aaron Ross became the latest Giants player to be hit with flu-like symptoms since they played the NFC championship game in minus-24 wind chills. Michael Strahan, fullback Madison Hedgecock, safety Michael Johnson and defensive tackle Manny Wright all missed at least one day of practice last week.

And kicker Lawrence Tynes was pretty sick on Monday when the Giants were off.

“I hope that’s the end of it,” Tom Coughlin said. “We have taken precautions. The medical people have done the best they can to distribute some medicine, if you will, in advance of the plane trip out there. Hopefully the guys are rested enough that this will not be an issue.”

One of the movies the Giants watched on the flight out was Michael Clayton. I haven’t seen it, but I’m told it has nothing to do with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ receiver.

A check of the betting line, if you’re into that sort of thing, shows some money is starting to be placed on the Giants. They opened as 13 ½-point underdogs. The line is now down to 12.

Pierce wasn’t happy to hear that. He prefers longer odds.

“Please do not put money in Vegas on the Giants,” Pierce pleaded. “That would be a bad decision for you. Don’t do it.”

Meanwhile, over on the other side of town …

Patriots QB Tom Brady apparently practiced today with his right ankle heavily taped. According to the pool report form their workout at the University of Arizona, he also had a noticeable limp.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:07 am

Red Sox acquire reliever Aardsma for minor leaguers

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3218927

BOSTON -- The Red Sox obtained reliever David Aardsma from the Chicago White Sox for Willy Mota and Miguel Socolovich on Monday in a trade involving three right-handed pitchers.

Aardsma started last season with Chicago and went 2-1 with a 6.40 ERA with 36 strikeouts in 32 1/3 innings over 25 relief outings. In the second half of the season at Triple-A Charlotte, Aardsma, 26, was 3-2 with a 4.33 ERA with 15 saves in 18 appearances.

He's made 81 relief appearances with the White Sox, Chicago Cubs and San Francisco Giants, compiling a record of 6-1 with a 5.16 ERA.

Mota had 17 relief outings last year at Class-A Lowell, going 5-3 with a 2.60 ERA and one save. Socolovich pitched last year for two Class-A teams, Greenville and Lowell. He was 2-2 with a 6.65 ERA in 11 games with Greenville and 5-4 with a 3.56 ERA in 14 games with Lowell.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:22 am

The Terms Of Cano's New Deal

http://waswatching.com/

From Joel Sherman -

Cano is due to make $3 million in 2008, $6 million in 2009, $9 million in 2010 and $10 million in 2011. In 2012, Cano has an option for $14 million with a $2 million buyout. If that option is picked up, Cano will have another option in 2013 for $15 million with a $2 million buyout.

Interesting. $28 million for four years - with a buyout of $2 million after that. Or, $42 million for five years - with a buyout of $2 million after that. Or, $57 million for six years.

So, it's $30 mill for four, $44 mill for five, or $57 mill for six. On average, it's $7.5 million a year for four, $8.8 million for five, or $9.5 million a year for six.

If Cano tanks in the next couple of years, you can eat him for $30 million. That's less than dining on the Carl Pavano special.

When you figure that it cost the Yankees $26 million just to talk contract with Kei Igawa, this deal is a steal.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:26 am

On Baseball: Numbers are up, their stock down
Bonds and A-Rod a losing pair who don't figure to be flattered by history
By Paul Gutierrez - pgutierrez@sacbee.com

http://www.sacbee.com/giants/story/499211.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- It was the last Sunday in July, and Barry Bonds was fidgeting in his easy chair in his corner of the Giants' clubhouse, fiddling with the remote to his big-screen TV.

"Man, I don't want to watch the (stinking) Red Sox," Bonds grumbled to the amusement of the media horde assembled around his locker as he deftly changed channels after a rain delay in Baltimore interrupted an Orioles-Yankees game he was watching. "I want to see A-Rod."

Bonds, the future Home Run King, was still sitting on 754 homers that summer afternoon, and his heir apparent, Alex Rodriguez, was stuck on No. 499.

The two are inextricably linked. Now and forever. And it has more to do with karma than tape-measure home runs and being the most polarizing figures in the game today, even if Bonds' days are numbered.

Fate found it fit that BALCO Barry and A-Fraud shared a day of infamy not seen by the national pastime since the betting exploits of Charlie Hustle and Shoeless Joe, as Friday's gigantic newspaper headlines would suggest.

How better to describe Black Thursday, referred to as a "sad day" by everyone from the Giants, who are soiled by the whole sordid affair, to Commissioner Bud Selig, ditto, to the White House, which has much bigger issues to contemplate?

It's not every day that Bonds' loyal–to-a-fault fan base is punched in the gut and left disillusioned. Their hero faces 30 years in prison after being indicted by the feds on obstruction of justice and perjury charges that he lied about using performance-enhancing drugs. Plus, there was Rodriguez, who had brazenly opted out of his 10-year, $252 million contract, then disappointed many of his followers who hailed his decision to turn his back on the myopic Yankees to create his own legacy elsewhere. He slinked back to the Bronx with his pinstriped tail between his legs.

Rodriguez once told me he took "the high road" when controversy found him, because "there's less traffic up there." Well, there's no traffic when you blaze your own trail, as he seemed to be doing with the courageous opt out that now seems to be more about money than valor.

Looks as if A-Fraud was actually A-Fraid after sampling the open market to find that no one was going to pony up the ludicrous $350 million he sought, so he ended up harkening a little bit of old school rapper Ice-T. That is, he played himself.

You start to sweat and fret, it gets hot. How'd you get into this spot? You played yourself.

And yet, Rodriguez was far from alone in this made-for-tabloid Gotham drama. Remember, the Yankees acted tough by saying if he opted out, they would not negotiate with him.

But after agreeing Thursday to the outline of a 10-year, $275 million deal, not only did the Yankees fail to back up their tough talk, they gave the guy who essentially spit in their face a raise. Sure, they'll say they got some concessions from Rodriguez in the negotiations, but the bottom line is he will make more money next season than he did last year.

So who played whom? Looks like another deviously brilliant move by Elk Grove über-agent Scott Boras, who fell on the sword to take some bad PR but still got his biggest earner a bigger contract. It's one that set another record and comes dangerously close to glancing three of the seven deadlies – gluttony, greed and pride.

The Yankees should have taken a page from the Giants by sticking to their word and telling Rodriguez to hit the bricks.

Yet, truth be told, the Yankees and Pay-Rod deserve each other. As did the Giants and Bonds for 15 years of an unholy – and, it seems, a pharmaceutically aided – marriage. Because although the Giants cut ties with Bonds in the nick of time, they still have a taint about them. Even if no one can fault them for negotiating against themselves last winter to sign Bonds to the one-year deal to buy history in the home run record.

Pay-Rod also will have some bonuses in his contract kick in when he gets close to overtaking Bonds for the crown.

Still not convinced they're forever linked? Finding the Yankees still delayed on TV, Bonds was asked if he planned to attend when Rodriguez breaks his record.

After a delayed and awkward laugh, Bonds said, "If I'm alive."

Let's amend his response, then: Yes, BALCO Barry will be there for A-Fraud. That is, if he's not serving as DH for the Giants ... the San Quentin Giants.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:52 am

is is such a wierd feeling, Seeing the Sox win again. Seeing the Pats never lose. Seeing the Celtics almost never lose. I just did a quick calucaltion and starting from game 5 on the AL championship season the Celtics, Sox, Pats are 60-3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evenn the Revolution went to the final again for the 3rd year in a row. No wonder why the rest of the country hates us. I think I would too. What can you do but enjoy the ride and smile reading all the haters comments. To all my NY friends.. We didint wait for 86 years for the Sox to win because most of us are not 86 years. You werent around for all those 26 WS Victories either, All I do know is we got 2 in the last 6 years and you got 0. We have 5 chanpionships in the last 7 year and you have 0 even thought you have twice as many teams in Ny than we have in Boston. Such is life.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down