Craig Monroe wants a chance to replace Torii Hunter in cente

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Craig Monroe wants a chance to replace Torii Hunter in cente

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:56 am

Johan Santana Rumors: Tuesday

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

UPDATE, 1-29-08 at 9:42am: ESPN's Buster Olney says the Twins asked for each team's "last and best offers" on Monday. They could decide Santana's fate as early as today. Olney adds that the Yankees "appear to be not presently engaged whatsoever in the Santana talks." Olney used to be a Yankees beat writer, so he's bound to have a good line on this.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:57 am

I wasn't aware that the Mets were offering long relievers in the deal. What I've read is that Mulvey/Humber project to be #3 pitchers at best, while Pelfrey has the potential to be a #2.

An OF'er who cannot hit... I assume you're talking about Carlos Gomez. You seem like the ignorant type that would focus solely on his major league numbers from last season. However, the only reason he got called up was because of the injuries that decimated the Mets OF. He never should have been called up in the first place.

As far as Guerra goes... I don't know where you even heard that. Do you have a source, or do you just make stuff up? Regardless, he's an 18 year old that put up a 1.17 WHIP and a 4.01 ERA in Hi-A ball. 18 years old. He should be in his senior year of High School right now.

To say the Mets offer is garbage is just 100% ignorance.

nrmax88, that's how I read it to:

"The Twins could weigh the offers and decide to keep Santana into spring training, in the hope that a more aggressive market for the left-hander develops."

In other words: nothing's changed, the twins are still holding out for more.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:02 am

The Mets offer is garbage. If the Twins wanted it this deal would have been done by now. They want the Yankees prospects and pushing stories that say they would take the Mets crap may make the Yanks come back and talk.

No one believes the Mets will get him for 2 long relievers, an OF'er who cannot hit and an 18 yr old Class A pitcher who doesnt have an off speed pitch.

Part of it is that while the Mets have a *decent* offer on the table, I think the Red Sox have a better one. The other part is that I just don't want the Mets to get Santana because I'm a Braves fan. In my perfect world, the Twins keep him away from the Evil Empire, the Evil Empire Part II, or my team's direct competitor.

From Mets Fan nrmax88 |

Deolis Guerra supposedly has a deadly changeup. Isnt that offspeed?

I can play that game too. The Twins obviously dont want the Yankees package.

They dont want a young and unproven, not to mention injury prone Phil Hughes, who has yet to prove anything.

They also dont want Melky, pretty much the worst starting CF in all of baseball. And why would they want scrubs like Marquez and Kennedy when they have much better options then that internally?

"No one believes the Mets will get him for 2 long relievers, an OF'er who cannot hit and an 18 yr old Class A pitcher who doesnt have an off speed pitch."

And by the way, lots and lots of people do believe that package will get it done.

Gomez Stinks. Melky is better than him... Look at the stats in his minors and Melky's play in tougher league ...

At least Melky is patient hitter unlike Gomez who strikes out a ton..

Why would Twins Mulvey ? Kennedy is better than him and put better numbers in the minors than stinkin Mulvey. Kennedy was former first round pick , In case you forgot.

Pelfrey is sinker ball pitcher? Why would Twins want him?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:12 am

The Yankees will swoop in with Melky and Horne. Maybe they’ll throw in Joba’s father in.

“We’ll give you Chamberlain, Horne and Melky!” and Smith will fall for it hook, line and stinker.

It’d be so fitting…

buster’s yankee fan allegiance always comes through in his writing. even thought the yankees are presumed nationally as being in 3rd in the race for santana, buster manages to make the article spend the most time on them relative to the other two leading candidates. He speaks of there outside possibility of acquiring santana, even bringing up an exact situation for them involving particular yankee players. as for the mets, he gives a general short summary reducing their offer to the simpleness and unspecified “number of prospects” in an oh-by-the-way fashion. it is like the fan in him wants to bait steinbrenner into making a move. haha.

I forget who said it first–for some reason, I think it was Fire Joe Morgan–but whoever said it, I totally agree: most sportswriters have their “binky”: that one team or player who they have a childlike attachment to, and who they invoke at every opportunity. Regardless of whether it’s really pertinent to their article or not.

For some people, it’s David Eckstein. For others, it’s Brett Favre. For Buster, it’s the Yankees. Don’t get too mad at him, he can’t help it.

This does not bode well for us….The Twins want to wait this thing out until someone (us) gets desperate and increases their offer…or in their best hopes, the yanks get back into around March and decide to offer phil hughes, which then would bring the sox back into it for a bidding war. This is all just tactics to try to lure teams to get desperate. AND if we want santana then we will have to do just that.

Its all a ploy…I guess Fernando is gonna have to go if we have any chance.

if u look deep into what Olney is saying, it’s reallY NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG…it actually sounds like my GIANT rant yesterday in the Max Kellerman post….”the twins coudl decide soon what to do, as soon as today. However, they could just wait til into spring training”

are u kiddin me??? i mean REALLY? that’s basically saying
“you know, i give the giants a chance this week, as a matter of fact, i’ll say they’re going to win. BUt they could lose. I will say this, whichever teams puts the most poitns on the board sunday, is really going to put their team in a position to win the ball game, unless the other scores more. In which case, they could lose. OR, the other team could score less”

Team sucks?

Look in the mirror before saying something stupid...

The Yankees won 4 world series and made playoffs ever year. Where is the respect?

How about Ny Mets? Oops that's they choke last year and haven't won world series last 20 years. Arrogant Mets Fans always talking trash , they thought they won the world series last year..

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:15 am

In that case The Yankees should add Marquez in deal for Santana. He's sinker ball pitcher like Pelfrey who throws mid-90's fast ball and former first round pick which Yankees got for losing Fat and Slob David Wells.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:28 am

You are the only one talking trash you idiot. I love the guys who come in talking unwarranted trash that they cant even back up. Get called out, and then go on the defensive and talk about how their team won 4 world series in the 90's, but havent won a thing since 2000, yet they dont defend the points that we were arguing, they just say the Mets choked and that we show no respect for the yankees. Its almost as if Tim is getting so big he can afford to put idiots in the readers section for our entertainement now. What an imbecile this guy is.

Posted by: nrmax88 | January 29, 2008 at 10:22 AM

i think start wearing purple has it.

Mets are most in need of Johan, but dont have the centerpiece. they are in the drivers seat as long as the Yankees refuse to part with Hughes.

the Sox prob have the next best package, because their two packages have MLB ready talent as a centerpiece. However, they are just as wary as the Yankees about giving up both the talent and the contract.

the Mets package isnt bad, and its definately better than the 2 draft picks the Twins would get by just letting Johan walk, but its more quantity than quality in the sense that the best potential prospects in the deal are so young and raw, you cant possibly know how they'll pan out yet as a MLB'er.

in the end, all things considered, i think the Twins would rather send Johan to the NL and take a package of possibles than trade him within the AL for packages that dont include Hughes or Ellsbury AND Lester.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:32 am

fonzy1324 wrote:
Nutsacjac wrote:

The Yanks didn't panic and make a trade last year. I think they're going to stick with Joba and Hughes, come hell or high water.

They didn't have a reason to. Once the Mariners collapsed, the Yankees were pretty comfy in the wild card seat the rest of the way.

Late in July, they were 9 GB of the Red Sox and at least 4 GB of the Mariners.

That's a perfect time to panic.

My bad, I thought the Mariners collapsed before the trading deadline. Still though, I'm sure the Yankees brass was smart enough to see the Mariners were overachieving. If it had been this year's version of the Tigers or Indians 4 games ahead of them for the WC around the trading deadline, I bet one of the young guys may have been traded for immediate help.

Nutsacjac wrote:

Joba pitched well at Nebraska and at every level in the minors(and obviously destroyed the majors). His only issue was he's gotten the label of injury-prone.

Is he going to pitch to a .38 ERA and 1192 ERA+ next year? No. If he's in the rotation(which is still up to debate), I think he'll acquit himself nicely.

I'd personally let him pitch the 8th for half the season, keep his inning down and keep blowing people away with the 100 mph heater and 88 mph slider.

The fact that you have to artificially control his innings to such a ridiculous extreme this early in his career is not a formula for long-term success.

Right now I think Joba Chamberlain is Mike Tyson. He looks well-neigh invincible, but you're really not going to know what he is until somebody knocks him down.

Joba pitched well at Nebraska and at every level in the minors(and obviously destroyed the majors). His only issue was he's gotten the label of injury-prone.

Is he going to pitch to a .38 ERA and 1192 ERA+ next year? No. If he's in the rotation(which is still up to debate), I think he'll acquit himself nicely.

I'd personally let him pitch the 8th for half the season, keep his inning down and keep blowing people away with the 100 mph heater and 88 mph slider.

R Nitelight wrote:

Yankees aren't going to make a move until their 'Young Guns' crap out the 1st 2 months of the season and the Red Sox start to run away with the Division early.

Then they'll panic and try to make a Big Stupid Trade with their greatly devalued Farm System.

Cool

The Yanks didn't panic and make a trade last year. I think they're going to stick with Joba and Hughes, come hell or high water.

NYFS Points: 7932

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Look, I'm as big a Fernando fan as anyone (after all, I was the one who pushed for his "The Future" inkage), but if he has to be in the deal to get in done, you really should do it. If you act smug, and "wait them out", you risk Hank having a bad bagel one morning and trading them Hughes, and we're stuck with Kyle Lohse. Can't risk that. Just like Omar worked all night to get Beltran signed before the Yankees realized they needed him - it's the same principle. Strike now before it's too late.

Laughing I wish I could take credit for having better info than ESPN. While I think that my friend has one of the best feels for this situation out there, I think it's only fair to point out that big names like ESPN's top guys are at a total disadvantage when it comes to scoops. Unless things are leaked on purpose, such as an agent leaking info on his client through back channels for a certain reason, then ESPN is the first to get it. But normally it's the guys who aren't very established in the business who wind up having the advantage on big scoops.

That said, I think it could be any minute. I don't think the framework has changed, I don't think there is a third team in the talks, I don't think there will be a last minute entry from the Angels or any thing. I think at this point, as I've said, it's going to either be Omar forcing the Twins hand by waiting them out or it will be Minnesota taking the deal off the table with a Fernando ultimatum (which has not happened, nor has it even gotten close to happening). As time marches closer to Spring Training, I'd say the Mets hand gets stronger. If it happens this week, I expect Fernando to be involved.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:33 am

It's Twins Decision to make which team has best package for Santana, Not Omar or Mets. Good Luck....

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:34 am

"Mets Fans – Read above and substitute Giants for Yankees. Mets fans are cocky for no good reason. Every 7 or 8 years they catch lightning in a bottle, but for the most part they are all talk, and no results."

Yea, because Mets fans are the only fans who talk. Lets be real. You act as if Yankee fans have more of a right to talk before a given season because of their history. Its not like you helped them win a damn thing. I would be willing to be the only reason you are a Yankee fan is either A) you picked it up at school to fit in better, or B) Becuase your daddy was a yankee fan so you were born into it. Its not like your special because your a yankee fan. Its not like the fans can have a say on the results anyway. Your posts are pretty much all talk, no results. All you do is spout your opinions and personal bias' and go on the defensive when you get called out for being the dolt that you are. And you still havent even given one piece of statistical evidence to even begin to support your case. Because you dont really have one.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 am

I would be Happy as Yankee Fan If Johan goes to Dodgers along side with Ex Yankee manager Joe Torre. Smile

Or Johan could stay put and wait for free agency .

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:39 am

Remember Five-tool and over hyped Alex Escobar? or Greg Jeffries..

Heheh..

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:49 am

The Mets rotation is bunch of Mercanaries only Great Aaron Heilman came from Minors.

Pedro- sign from Redsox

Maine - Trade from Orioles because Mets Owner is so sick of Kris Benson and his wife

El Duque- Former Yankee pitcher - traded from Dbacks

Odaliz Perez - Trade Nady to Pirates to get him.

Pelfrey's stinks and had 0-6 record last year. Hehe Omar Minaya who paid $6 million as signing bonus when He was selected by Mets in 2005 draft.

Meanhile The Yankees had Wang,Hughes,Joba,Kennedy, and Pettite, All Homegrown what do you say now Mets Fans?

Everyone blaming The Yankees for being Evil Empire and ruining baseball. How about Mets? Their whole starting pitching staff is full of mercanaries.. Where is the double Standard?

If Mets Add Johan. Welcome to Darkside Mets !! Smile Along with Redsox, Tigers, and Angels......

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:51 am

"Remember Five-tool and over hyped Alex Escobar? or Greg Jeffries.."

As much as it pains me to side with Arcthelad for even a second (and believe me it feels like I'm disemboweling myself here), I'm pretty certain "center piece" here is referring to both talent AND "polish." Having scouts report that a player has a high ceiling is great, but their value in a trade is determined by risk vs. reward and Gomez has a good deal more risk at this point than Ellsbury (for example)

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:52 am

anuary 29, 2008 at 10:50 AM

TurnTwo,

You are completely right about there being more risk. However, it is not inconceivable the Twins like those guys and the upside they bring.

They have done pretty well scouting players for trades and rule 5 pick-ups in the past. Maybe they really see something in Gomez and Guerra. Many others do and the Twins were interested in Gomez and Delmon Young earlier in the year. They got Young and have a chance to get Gomez as well.

"like i said, this Mets package isnt bad, its just not on the same level of what the Yankees and Saux have offered because there is noone who can step in this year and the Twins know what they have."

I just cannot agree with your assessment of the Yankee package though. Hughes is obviously more valuable than anyone in the Mets package, but Melky is one of the three worst fielder center fielders in the AL according to the fielding bible and has no pop and certainly does not have the raw tools of Gomez who is light years better with the glove right now.

What is the allure? You would find a very short list of GMs that want Melky over Gomez. Then who else is on the table? Marquez and who else?

Every single guy in the Met package is more valuable than anyone after Hughes. Throw in Kennedy, who I love, and I would reconsider, but that is not happening and all we keep hearing is Yankees interest is tepid at best at this point.

It boils down to the Red Sox and Mets seemingly at this point.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 am

A little more on my post from above about holding out to the deadline...again dangerous but...a team like the Angels is in first place, they have a great rotation 1-5 but as we saw this past October they don't have a single guy that is a definite bet to shut-down a good offense in a short series...they decide they want to win at all costs...they get Santana and Joe Nathan for Nick Adenhart, Brandon Wood and Sean Rodriguez. They now go nto the post-season with Santana, Lackey, Escobar, Weaver and have Joe Nathan and Frank Rodriguez in the pen. While those prospects are alot to give up they have a great shot at the series and if they fall short they have four first round picks they can reload with. While people speculate whether or not Santana would waive his no-trade, I honestly believe if he has a shot to get to the world series he is going to take it over pitching for no reason for the Twins assuming they are out, which may not be the case with Santana/Liriano). Just a thought to keep in mind when considering these offers.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 am

Soriano was traded for Alex...

I would say same thing about Mets..

Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado,Moises Alou, Ryan Church, Brian Schneider, Ruben Gotay, Damion Easley, Luis Castillo,and Endy Chavez all came up from trades or free agents signings from Great Omar Minaya Smile

Andy Pettite spent 9 years pitching for the Yankees? So According to Mets Fans He doesn't count lol?

Then you to take out Curt Schilling from Redsox who came up from Redsox Farm system according to Mets Fan logic.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:02 am

Mets fans are too funny.

http://sny.prospero.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=61&nav=messages&webtag=sny&tid=7434

These Mets fans think they're better then the Yankees.

Um this answer is easy. Heck yeah they are better than the Spankees!!!!!! Why do i have to gievreasons you didnt give any? Oh well ill comply.

1B- Giambi / Delgado My reasoning behind choosing Delgado is cause 1) Giambi is off the roids and isnt what he used to be and 2) Delgado is a better player at both aspects of the game and his numbers have been better than Giambi for a long time.

2B Cano / Castillo 3b (Sorry but that sign doesnt get put on my post)Cano wins but i have to make one point about this cano is the better player but castillo is a perfect fit on our team because he plays great defense and is a perfect hitter in the 2 hole in our lineup so while yes Cano is a better player than Castillo is perfect for us so i dont have a problem with him.

SS Jeter / Reyes My reasoning is that Reyes is a younger more explosive player and while yes Beter had the better year last year he isnt the better player. Beter has the career statistics but if you ask all the executives who you would start a team with if you had a choice between Reyes or Beter most would say Reyes no doubt.

3b Arod / Wright EVEN I would have easily given you A-Rod over Wright because A-Rod is one of the greatest players to play this sport but you said something in one of your last post to me that, well, just made them even. What you said is ,"Numbers dont mean a thing if you aint got that ring" so that being true means that D Wright and A Rod are even cause they both dont have rings. We all know A-Rod has talent but how did he do in the playoffs for the last 4 years? He wasnt decent anywhere and has been absolutely horrendous everywhere which means the ALDS because that as far as the Spankees go these days (Lol I had to make fun of that line as well as add some of my own touches because its retarded)

Lf Damon/ Matsui / Moises Alou This one was easy because the two guys on the Spankees are injury prone also and are breaking down just like Alou so I asked myself what is better, a .341 average which is what Alou had last year or what those 2 bums put up, i think ill take Alous production. This is one spot you cant use the injury excuse to give another guy the advantage over Alou.

Wang / Martinez well if that line about having WS rings is true than Martinez is better right there but production wise he is better as well. Also if im not mistaken Martinez actually shows up in the postseason so i guess you were just talking regular season when you made this list but even so Martinez is better.

Petitte / Perez EVEN I say even because Perez plays well in the postseason just like Pettite and he pitches good in the regular season as well but it being the regular season only than even. . i shouldve gave the advantage to us because 1 Perez is doing it naturally and Pettite is a HGHer and 2 perez had the better year last year.

Maine / Joba seriously dude your an idiot. Im gonna quote one of ur dumb comments again from another post which was directed at kid- "You got to be kidding me Kidjay, the Mets pitching is so overrated, Maine had one good year" Ok Maine had one good yearand also postseason as a STARTER not a reliever who barely if ever pitched more than one inning in HALF a season. Plus Joba hasnt even done it for 1 year yet so how can you say he is better than Maine who pitched great in the postseason 2 years ago and had an all star year last year but was robbed of a chance to play in the game. So this one is easy Maine in a landslide.

Pelfrey / Hughes EVEN Im gonna say even because neither has done much in the MLB and they both have much to prove and are both young.

Bullpen:

Rivera / Wagner well seeing how we are talking REGULAR SEASON stats because thats what i feel you are doing when you said Wang was better than Martinez, Billy was better than Rivera in the regular season. now if we are talking postseason than ill give the Spankees this hands down but since we are not than nope its Wag
s

Ht : Joe Pops from Yesboards for posting

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:08 am

Maine, El Duque, Perez, Pedro didn't came up from Mets Farm system. They were trade or signings from Omar the great Minaya..

Please admit Nrmax88, your starting rotation is full of Mercenaries who came up from other organizations.

If Omar trade for Johan, All Mets starting five will be known as "Mercenaries" :0

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 am

typical Met Fan making idiotic invalid points comparing apples and oranges. Quite frankly most Yankees fans really dont care about the METS. Really cant say that about Mets fans who is more concerned about the Yankees losing rather than the mets winning. How many Mets fans own Sox caps? EXACTLY....PWNED.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:10 am

Melky really isnt as bad as the Mets fans are making him appear, either.

is he top 10? no, hell no.

but, he's got a strong accurate arm, plays a above average CF defensively, and is good enough to hit at the bottom of the lineup, hit about .270-.280, maybe get you 10-12 HRs, and 10-15 SBs.

Is he a pure slugger? no, but the fact is he has produced at least at at an average level at the MLB level now for 2 seasons. he'll never be the centerpiece of a MLB team, but he's proven he's a nice role player on a good team where he doesnt have to be the main guy.

"Then you to take out Curt Schilling from Redsox who came up from Redsox Farm system according to Mets Fan logic."

Or, according to a regular persons logic. Besides, they traded for Schilling, they didnt sign him as a FA. A mercenary is a guy who goes wherever the most money is. Like most of the yankee roster. Guys that are acquired in trades dont fall into this category. Are you really this hard-headed?

Whoa whoa whoa......

Eric Milton and Cristian Guzman are (or ever were) major league talent?

This is starting to get childish. There's no team out there that can point to their success by strictly homegrown talent. Trades and FA are part of baseball for a reason. So get over it!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 am

Maybe to you. Trading for a guy does not involve giving that player any money, which means that they are not mercenaries. If it makes you happy to call them mercenaries, by all means, go ahead. I sometimes like to refer to my pet dog as a monkey. So, I understand your hobby of using the completely wrong term over and over again for no reason.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 am

Back to Cano's defense for a minute, I just picked up my handy Bill James Handbook and went right to the Fielding Awards section. This is probably my favorite way to judge a players defense because they take a wide variety of people/systems and make a list of the top 10 along with some others that received votes/points.

The system has 10 voters who each rank their top 10 players at each position. For first place, you get 10 points, second you get 9 points and so on. Obviously the stop score you can get is 100. The people/systems that they use are Bill James, BIS Video Scouts, Hal Richman, Joe Posnanski, Joel Kammeyer, John Dewan, Matt Olkin, Mike Murphy, Rob Neyer, and the Tango Fan Poll.

I think everyone knows who Bill James is. BIS Video Scouts study every game of the season with the task of examining a huge list of valuable game details.

Hal Richman created Strat-O-Matic which has in-depth analysis of each player's season.

Joe Posnanski was named best sports columnist in America in 2003 and 2005 and writes for the KC Star. (He really is good by the way - I suggest reading his articles. Neyer links to him all the time).

John Dewan wrote The Fielding Bible and has collected, analsyzed, and published in depth baseball statistics.

I think you get the point, the guys have credentials.

Cano ranked 6th best defensive second baseman in MLB. Aaron Hill was first, Orlando Hudson was second, Brandon Phillips was 3rd, Mark Ellis 4th, Chase Utley 5th, Polanco behind Cano 7th, Pedroia 8th, Grudzielianek 9th, and Brian Roberts 10th.

For you Met fans, D Wright ranked 7th for 3B, Reyes was 5th at SS, Beltran was 2nd for CFers, and Brian Schneider received 19 points for catcher but didn't rank in the top 10.

Just to prove my point.

The Fielding Bible, one of those sources that JWF was gushing over their credentials labeled Melky Cabrera as the Second Worst Center Fielder in Baseball last year, and this is what you're using to try and argue that Cano is a good defender? Seriously?

No, that is not what I use to argue that Cano is a good defender. That is 1/10th of what I argue to show that Cano is a good defender, along with every single defensive stat that is out there, along with watching him on a daily basis.

What you use to argue that he is not a good defensive second baseman is... errors. And?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 am

Mercenary -adj

- Signings from other organization thru trade or free-agent signings. A mercenary doesn't label as homegrown who came up different organization

Smile

The Yankees drafted well and developed talent in the 90's. They took a hiatus and went with a different organizational philosophy. Now, they are on the enlightened path and I applaud them for that. They understand how it is necessary to grow your own players and maintain at least some sense of fiscal responsibility.

The Mets on the other hand, did not draft particularly well in the 90's nor the early part of this millennium while giving away too many first, second, and third round picks. They needed to fill in their rotation via other methods and Omar shrewdly picked up Maine and Perez. He should be applauded for that, no? I am willing to bet 29 other teams wished they picked up either one of those guys.

They have been drafting better of late and making better international free agent signings. However, I am missing what your point is? You keep bringing up obvious facts such as the Mets do not have one homegrown player in their rotation. That is relevant in what way?

Jared, I still think it would be hard for the Twins to extract multiple blue chippers mid-season.

Maybe I am underestimating some possible levels of desperation, but there is so much emphasis and value on young pitching and young players overall these days, it is hard to envision anyone giving that much up for rental no matter what his name is.

This is not exactly a perfect benchmark and you might be able to drum up examples when someone sold the farm for a chance to win (Omar sending Sizemore, Phillips, and Lee to the Indians does not count), but take a look what Beltran brought back.

Teahan? Wood? Buck?

Just not awe-inspiring and think the dynamics of baseball have change a bit more since them. Maybe some GM goes off the deep end, but most of the guys with the top tier talent are holding onto them.

Furthermore, a lot of these guys you might be looking to acquire mid-year for Santana might be playing a big role on these contending teams. A lot of players who might have been available now might be off the table later. Too many 'ifs' for them to risk holding onto him for me.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:30 am

Eric (Albany): When did you go to Fenway where you didn't hear obscenities all night? I saw a Toronto fan carried out on a stretcher and of course the crowd went nuts. The best place to watch a game is one where you can take your kids to and don't have to worry about that crap.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:31 am

joeysmith57 Post #9: Jan 28, 10:27 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2972
Nice move by Theo. Aardsma has explosive and K+/inning stuff. Throws 97-100. Needs to find the plate, but the Sox have the best pitching coach in MLB.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next