Craig Monroe wants a chance to replace Torii Hunter in cente

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Craig Monroe wants a chance to replace Torii Hunter in cente

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:38 am

From Mets Fan thoughts on Santana
Comment by metsonfire

Just my our personal recap on the Santana madness….

I woke up 3 times last night and went online to check for updates — once at 3:30am, once at 5:00am and then again at 6:30am….. If Im away from my laptop for more then 15mins (and I cant refresh my various webpages then I have withdrawl.

I have serious problems — I’m dreaming about this sh*t and I can sleep or work.

That said, if the Twins want to start camp with Johan then I say “god bless” and we tell them that we are going in another direction and we go out and get ourseleves Livan Hernandez and Tony Clark (to backup Delgado) and then call it a day.

No way can the Twins think their position can actually IMPROVE by waiting for spring training… If they’re hoping for an injury on either the Yanks or Red Sox so they can get them then again I say “god bless”.

I understand Smith is a first year GM and wants to get the best deal and is hesitant — and I understand he convents Phil Hughes more then anyone (and would love to get that offer back on the table from the Yanks… if indeed there ever was a serious offer with Hughes in the first place)…. I understand all these things — but if Smith enters spring training with Santana on the roster if I’m Omar I need to say to myself “this guy is obviously just yanking my chain and is using us to start a bidding war with the Yanks and Red Sox”

Omar has been the most proactive in actually trying to work out different packages (names like Church and Heilmann have both been floated in recent weeks) — Both of those players are the type of “major league ready” players the Twins have been seeking and both are just as good as what the Yanks and Red Sox have offered….

If the deal isnt done by spring training then you need to be prepared that you probably arent getting Santana and you need to walk away from all of this.

oh god i dont like the idea of the “last and best offer”. i know i know im being paranoid, but that smells of hankee the skankee forcing cashmans hand to steal press away from not only the mets but the giants as well, we all know hughes is the real target anyway. On the flip side it also just gives me an awful feeling in my stomach of omar sticking to his package (sans fmart) and just missing out. wow, ive finally gone completely insane, thanks alot bill smith.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:40 am

Melky is not average. He is a bottom 1/3rd CF'er in just about every offensive category. Great that he can play good defense. The fact is, if Melky was playing on KC no one would know who he is or care about him.

As for the Twins, they really are in a tough position. They have to make a decision about how competitive they will be this year and next. If they feel that they can play with Cleveland and Detroit I would expect them to take the Yankee or Red Sox deal (and more likely the Red Sox Ellsbury deal). If they believe that they are a few years away, the Mets package with Gomez and F-Mart makes more sense.

Personally, I don't see them as competitive in 08. Better to load up on higher ceiling prospects and ramp up for a run in 2010.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:51 am

A kid? Your calling me a kid? you don't know even me you idiot....

Ban Gfulla!!! Your the one that is trolling here..... Go Back to India with your stupid pathecic name. What hell is Gfulla means

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 am

I'm getting calls of elation from Met lovers that Santana is heading toward their direction. ...saying they will be on top of their division for years to come. To top it all, they don't have to give too much to get him. I just wish there is a way to tweak the Mets into giving more to get him like the Sox with the Yankees...lol

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:02 am

Okay here goes.

I've been reading this for a while it saddens me. Of fucking course a Mets fan is gonna say his prospects are are the best, same with Yanks and same with Sox.

The Yanks haven't had an offer on the table for a month now so why are you arguing about this.

I'm a Yanks fan but I'm not going to argue like some ignorant guy and just take shots at teams I hate.

Cabrera led the lead in assists from the outfield last year, so just tell me how he is below average defense that's just funny to me. He's 23 and is hitting .280, and you people say he's terrible offensively. Oh yea, forgot that players stop developing after their 2nd season, theres no improvement.

I don't know much about Lowrie and Masterson, same with the Met's prospects beyond Gomez. So I'm not going to take shots at the Met's and Sox' additional pieces like you are when you know nothing about Marquez and Tabata.

I'm sorry that as a Yankee fan, i'm represented by Archthelad, cuz he knows nothing.

Let's all stop arguing because of course we are going to rep our team and think our offer is the best.

And sox fans that say that mets and yanks offer is garbage cuz the twins haven't accepted it yet.. then why haven't the twins accepted yours. By your standards then your offer is garbage as well.

I think the Mets are gonna get Santana and I'm glad for them, they need him the most.

Later Guys

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 am

Giants need to run the ball and the Pats need to protect Brady
Horton

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/insider/columns/story?columnist=horton_gary&id=3219250

After spending the week in the film room here are just a few of the things I saw heading into Super Bowl XLII:

Giants' versatile run offense

Ahmad Bradshaw's one-cut running will be key on Super Bowl Sunday.
The Giants have developed a nice 1-2 punch at RB with Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw. This duo is very effective because the two running backs have different styles of running.

Jacobs is a big, physical, powerful, straight-ahead runner who uses his power to attack the hole without a lot of moves. Most of his runs are to the right side over right tackle Kareem McKenzie. When he runs the ball, the offensive line uses a man-blocking scheme to get a push and create a seam while Jacobs does the rest.

Bradshaw has a different style entirely. He is an excellent cutback runner who loves to start right and let the defense flow with him. When that happens, the offensive line is able to seal off versus the over-pursuing defense, which allows Bradshaw to make a backside cut. From watching the Giants on film, I get the feeling the offensive line is more comfortable when Bradshaw is in the backfield because it is more comfortable in the zone-blocking scheme.

Both of these backs give the Giants a chance to control the clock and keep the Patriots' offense off the field, which will be very critical on Super Bowl Sunday. However, neither back is great out of the backfield and that is a negative because if they were utilized in that role, it could put pressure on LBs Mike Vrabel and Adalius Thomas.

Giants' four-man pass rush

Osi Umenyiora

Greg Trott/WireImage.com

The Patriots must know where Osi Umenyiora is at all times.
Most people tend to think of the Giants as a defense that wants to rush four and drop seven, but they are much more aggressive in their blitz packages. The Giants have the most athletic defensive line in the NFL, especially when Justin Tuck plays inside at RDT. When he plays on the line with DEs Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan the Giants have three terrific penetrators in one-on-one situations.

However, the Giants still use twists and stunts with their linemen and have their edge guys attack inside and inside players attack outside. Plus, they are not afraid to drop some of their linemen into coverage to further confuse the quarterback's reads. This is not a group that waits to react. The Giants' front four control the tempo and are always on the move, which makes it hard to get a pre-snap read on them.

Patriots' blitz pickup

Kevin Faulk

AP Photo/AJ Mast

Kevin Faulk is most important to Tom Brady as a blocker.
The Pats' blitz pickup is an area of strength on this offense and that is a good thing, due to the fact the Patriots throw so much. Most defenses are afraid to blitz the Patriots because most teams are not equipped to play man-to-man in the back end. And when the defenses do come after Tom Brady, his offensive teammates give him time to get rid of the ball and find matchups.

RB Laurence Maroney does a good job of stepping up and filling while the offensive line does an excellent job of recognizing the blitzer, sliding its pass-protection schemes and coming off double-team blocks to pick up the blitzer. TE Benjamin Watson is also aware of blitzes and does a good job of switching from receiver to blocker when he sees the pressure coming. However, RB Kevin Faulk is Brady's hero in blitz pickup. He has an uncanny feel for it, especially against outside edge rushers. He is so aware that in several instances he was able to slide all the way across the formation to pick up a blitzer. Faulk is not big, but he squares up and takes on defenders long enough to give Brady time to throw.

Patriots' savvy veteran LBs

Bruschi and Seau

David Butler II/US Presswire

Tedy Bruschi (left) and Junior Seau (right) anchor the Pats' LB corps.
There may not be a more intelligent group of linebackers in the NFL and this is a group that cannot be fooled. All players are over the age of 30 and LBs Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau are near the end of their careers. What these two have lost in speed and athleticism they make up for with their intelligence and ability to be in the right place at the right time. Bruschi and Seau also have great recognition versus the run and the pass.

Most people don't think of this group as a big-time sack unit, but it has the second most in the NFL with 47. Vrabel is outstanding off the edge in the 3-4 scheme and Bruschi and Seau are underrated blitzers. However, they are not very effective if they have to shed blockers. Bruschi and Seau are particularly effective on delayed, inside blitzes when they see the offensive line is double-teamed. They hit the gap on a delay and do not give the offensive line time to react, which often results in a sack.

Gary Horton, a pro scout for Scouts Inc., has been a football talent evaluator for more than 30 years. He spent 10 years in the NFL and 10 years at the college level before launching a private scouting firm called The War Room.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:11 am

Giants must pressure Brady and push around Moss

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/insider/columns/story?columnist=horton_gary&id=3218598

Updated: January 28, 2008

After spending the week in the film room here are just a few of the things I saw heading into Super Bowl XLII:

Tom Brady's bad decisions versus San Diego

Tom Brady can't make mistakes against the Giants.
Even though the Patriots advanced to the Super Bowl, Brady struggled with the Chargers' defense in the AFC Championship game. The Chargers gave Brady a lot of different looks that seemed to confuse him. In fact, two of his three interceptions were because of bad decisions, which is very unusual.

Brady threw his first interception in the first quarter while he was attempting a long pass to WR Donte' Stallworth down the right sideline. Brady looked right and thought the Chargers were playing in Cover 2 with CB Quentin Jammer playing tight on Stallworth and safety help over the top. However, Jammer turned and ran with Stallworth once Brady tried to drop a pass into the intermediate perimeter of the defensive scheme. Jammer was in good position and made an athletic interception because he baited Brady into a false read.

Brady's third interception was also because he misread the defense. CB Antonio Cromartie picked off Brady's pass in the end zone, and luckily for the Patriots this mistake did not cost them the game. San Diego was in a goal-line scheme and Cromartie was lined up on the edge of the defensive right side. The Patriots sent two receivers across the formation away from Cromartie to clear an opening for TE Benjamin Watson in the back of the end zone. Brady assumed Cromartie would follow one of the two receivers, however Cromartie read Brady's eyes and stayed in the end zone in a zone look. When Brady tried to complete a pass to Watson in an area he thought would be cleared out, Cromartie squatted and picked it off.

It's not time to panic if you're a Patriots fan, but it is important to remember the Giants will give Brady a lot of the same looks he struggled with against San Diego.

How to defend Randy Moss

Randy Moss

Icon SMI

Randy Moss must be more physical in the Super Bowl.
In recent weeks Moss has not been as productive as he was earlier in the season and when you break down the film, there is a trend starting to develop.

During most of the regular season, defenses were afraid of his speed, so Moss saw a lot of off-coverage schemes that gave him a lot of cushion and were designed to not let him get behind the defense. However, once he gets a full head of steam he will run right by his defender, no matter what. As a result, defenses started getting physical with him at the line of scrimmage and trying to disrupt his routes. As big as Moss is, he is not overly physical. He has an angular body and if cornerbacks can get their hands on his chest it will slow him down and take away some of his will to be part of the play. Throughout the postseason, defenses have gotten in his face and played an outside-shade technique, which forces him inside toward the safety.

Even though the Giants' secondary is beat up, they will still be aggressive and come after Moss. The Giants will use tight man-to-man coverages on him, which gives Brady three options regarding his top playmaker. Brady may force the ball into coverage, take Moss out of his thought process and forget about him or be forced to hold onto the ball, resulting in coverage sacks.

Eli Manning's improved play

Eli Manning

Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images

Eli Manning must keep his newly-found poise in the Super Bowl.
Everyone has talked about Manning's improved play and how he has been more poised with fewer mental mistakes, but you can see on film some credit goes to the coaching staff and the game plan.

Manning is throwing more high-percentage, low-risk throws including underneath passes, dumpoffs, short-crossing routes and curls. He is doing a good job of reading the blitz, dumping the ball to his hot read and throwing high when he occasionally goes deep. He does an excellent job of finding WRs Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer, who are taller receivers who elevate well. Both Burress and Toomer have the advantage versus smaller DBs, and Manning tries to take advantage early in the game to loosen up the defense.

Another reason Manning is playing so well recently is because he is more relaxed and in control. I think without TE Jeremy Shockey in the picture, Manning has been able to settle down and know he's running the show. Shockey's strong personality was too much of a contrast with Manning's laid-back mentality. Now Manning doesn't have to worry about pleasing anyone because Shockey's replacement, Kevin Boss, doesn't lobby for passes and doesn't have problems on or off the field.

Giants' blitz package

Michael Strahan

Evan Pinkus/Getty Images

Michael Strahan and the Giants 'D' must get after Tom Brady.
The Giants have a lot of injuries in their secondary and are not a very good coverage group versus wide-open pass offenses, like the Patriots. As a result, one would think the Giants' defense would play safe schemes and zones in the secondary to protect the secondary and avoid putting their DBs on an island, but that's not the case at all. The Giants are going to come after the Patriots with a variety of impressive blitzes.

The Giants get an excellent edge rush from DEs Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan, which will force the Patriots' offensive line to slide its pass-protection outside to help the tackles. When that happens, the Giants will bring pressure inside with linebackers or safeties who attack the A and B gaps while exploiting the offensive line, which has overcompensated to the outside. The Giants also love to do X-stunts with their linebackers, twists with their linemen, bring one or both cornerbacks off the edge in a fire-zone blitz and drop Umenyiora or Justin Tuck into coverage to confuse the quarterback. The Giants' blitz package has a chance to cause more problems for the Patriots than most people realize.

The creativity of the Giants' blitz schemes are very impressive when you watch them on film. It's hard not to respect this defense, which can play it safe, but chooses not to. The Giants know they could be susceptible to big plays if they blitz, but they are better off blitzing than letting Brady pick them apart. The Giants' success will come down to their ability to get to Brady and disrupt his flow before he can find one-on-one matchups with his receivers versus the Giants' beat up secondary because the Giants' corners cannot keep up with the Patriots' receivers.

Gary Horton, a pro scout for Scouts Inc., has been a football talent evaluator for more than 30 years. He spent 10 years in the NFL and 10 years at the college level before launching a private scouting firm called The War Room.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:13 am

Johan Santana-S-Twins Jan. 29 - 11:02 am et

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that "executives involved in the Johan Santana trade talks expect the Minnesota Twins to make their decision soon, perhaps as early as Tuesday."
Call us skeptical after months of non-news, but even if the Twins make a decision soon everyone will still have to wait for Santana to negotiate a long-term contract extension. If a deal is indeed imminent, that suggests the Mets could be the front-runners.
Source: ESPN.com

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:19 am

Dan Graziano on XM still tows the MLB/ESPN line--misses his buddy Papelbon

http://xmmlbchat.blogspot.com/

* "Even if you have more money than anyone in the world like the Yankees do...

* Now they've changed course a bit and now overpay for draft players so others can't get them..."

Dan Graziano with Chuck Wilson, is in line for a great financial future with ESPN/MLB in his continuing boilerplate hate and envy references against the Yankees. Dan was on Baseball Beat to discuss the BBWAA dinner in NY last night for which he was MC.

* Interesting he managed to work in his standard anti-Yankee bias, but failed to note a big occasion at the dinner: They awarded Eric Wedge Manager of the Year Award. Manager of the team with the biggest cheater in baseball in 2007, Paul Byrd of the Cleveland Indians.

Chuck Wilson of course doesn't ask Graziano to substantiate any of his Yankee statements,

* nor does he wonder how teams will spend the $100 million they receive from them in revenue sharing.

(Graziano also lied (or at least deliberately left an incorrect impression), picking a topic that's closest to his heart. He said New Yorkers in the room booed at guys like Jon Papelbon and Dustin Pedroia. However, Papelbon did not attend the dinner (although he received an award). (Per MLB.com article today, 4th paragraph from end).

* Last year, Graziano made Papelbon the centerpiece of the evening, drooling over the guy (Papelbon did attend last year). It makes Dan feel important to drop names he cares about so much, leaving the impression the guy was in the room when he wasn't).

MLB.com article, "Murcer Honored for Rousing Recovery," by Anthony DiComo, 1/29/08

* UPDATE: For the benefit of "Mark" who sent me a comment that "booing" did in fact take place at the dinner at the mention of Papelbon's name and sight of him on video, I in fact assumed that was the case. I only said it wasn't made clear that he wasn't present at the event.

Ht - Susan Mullen for link

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:22 am

srry corshep but us twins fans already have the guy who led the league in outfield assists, and it wasnt melky, its cuddyer with 19 outfield assists on the year. Melky while not bad at his age, the only reason i wouldnt want him on the twins is because he is not the speedy leadoff guy we need, and this twins team has the offense set except for the leadoff guy, that would be the only reason id lean towards ellsbury, or maybe even gomez... pure speed

Posted by: patsfanatic83 | January 29, 2008 at 12:03 PM

"But pitching depth is never bad and maybe someone out of the group steps up. Also, Guerra and Gomez are still blue chip talents. Yes, there is still a ton of projection there, but that is why the Twins have scouts. Do they see something special? If not, they will likely pass."

Definitely agree with you there...Baker looked pretty good in several starts near the end of last year, kind of reminds me a bit of John Maine...good-looking prospect, fizzled a bit after struggling at MLB level and is kind of pushed aside and then puts it together and kind of surprises people who forgot he was pretty well regarded in the first place. I think Humber may surprise people a bit another year removed from TJ as well.

What I was suggesting is certainly a risky proposition,especially since I am very intrigued by Guerra/Gomez...but I like to roll the dice, it will be interesting to see if BS has got the stones or if his people just plain like the Mets guys.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 am

QUOTE(Crow216 @ Jan 25 2008, 08:05 PM) *
This is a pretty great line....

"There's no pressure from me. I don't care if Chamberlain or Hughes or Kennedy have four bad starts in a row," Steinbrenner said. "A lot of the fans seem to want to keep all our young pitchers, and that's great. I think that's fantastic. But they've got to remember that later on if these guys go through growing pains, don't turn against them all of a sudden."

I like this interview a lot.....Makes me like Hank just a little more.

And then he says something like this..

"I will be patient with the young pitchers and players. There's no question about that because I know how these players develop," he said. "But as far as missing the playoffs -- if we miss the playoffs by the end of this year, I don't know how patient I'll be. But it won't be against the players. It won't be a matter of that. It will be a matter of maybe certain people in the organization could have done something else."

What's wrong with that though Rembrat? Hank has probably been told by people in the org that this team doesn't need X or Y because they can make the playoffs. If he trusts them and they miss the playoffs (save for some unfortunate circumstance like injury), why SHOULDN'T he be upset with those people?

QUOTE(justtxyank @ Jan 29 2008, 01:07 PM) *
What's wrong with that though Rembrat? Hank has probably been told by people in the org that this team doesn't need X or Y because they can make the playoffs. If he trusts them and they miss the playoffs (save for some unfortunate circumstance like injury), why SHOULDN'T he be upset with those people?

There is nothing wrong with this line of thought it’s just the -adding to the shitstorm if the Yankees do miss the playoffs/starting off the season by making threats in the public - that would tick me off. The way I read that statement was that if the Yankees miss the playoffs then Cashman’s job is in jeopardy, since like you said, Cash has been one of the people telling/convincing him that they don’t need Santana. Just Hank making more threats that don’t really need to be made in this fashion.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:29 am

New Mariners Pitching Coach, Mel Stottlemyre

Guest: Mel Stottlemyre, Seattle Mariners Pitching Coach
Show: MLB Live Weekend with Holden Kushner

“Felix is at a young age, 22 years old, he’s one of the most exciting pitchers there is in the American League, and his ceiling is just simply amazing. I don’t think people have really seen what he is capable of doing yet, and we’re hoping to get him to rise to that next level. It’s not that he hasn’t pitched well, but we think he can be a bigger winner than he has been.” - Mariners new Pitching Coach Mel Stottlemyre on M’s Ace, Felix Hernandez

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:31 am

QUOTE(86spike @ Jan 8 2008, 04:56 PM) *
If the Yanks struggle in the first half this year... I have no doubt that Cashman will be the fall guy. Especially if they hang onto the youngsters (instead of moving them for Santana, let's say) and those young arms struggle.

I hope you're right, because my greatest fear was that Cashman was actually going to get to run the team. I'm much happier that the Steinbrenner sons are asserting their influence.

Hank and Hal Steinbrenner seem to resemble their father George-- like Captain Kirk after that transporter accident where he was split into two halves.

Hal is the logical, reasoning one, and Hank is the wild-eyed crazy one roaming the halls looking for Yeoman Rand.

Both Kirks occasionally listened to Dr. McCoy, but not very seriously. Same with Hank and Hal and Cashman.

Hal seems to be a bean counter, who has been running the non-baseball parts of the Steinbrenner empire from Tampa until last summer. My guess is that Cashman is more in tune with Hal, who as a bean counter is likely to have a a similar point of view. The mere fact that the Yankees have not emptied the farm already to get Santana already is evidence that Cashman still has some influence.

Hank seems to think he knows baseball and is trying to do an impression of his father's brash style (perhaps watching DVDs of "The Bronx is Burning" in his spare time).

Hank probably drives Cashman completely insane, but he has almost no power to do anything about it.

Unless the Yankees are 0-81 by the All-Star break, Cashman lasts the year, is not signed to a new contract, and lands in L.A. next year working again with his old friend Joe Torre.

I am not sure what is motivating Brian Cashman these days. It seems that something has really shifted in his thinking for him to come out with the following gems:

"My job has changed"
Bernie Williams’ music career “took away from his play”
Joe Torre looked for ways to play BW in 2006 “ahead of guys who could help us win”
"My strong recommendation is we stick with our young pitching staff and keep it in house. I'm married to that process."

Does he have a death wish? Do Hank and Hal piss him off so much that he is going down with guns ablaze? He kept his lips zipped under George for the most part so this 'new and improved' Cashman is a real surprise.

I am thinking that the Steinbrenners are going to be so pissed off and so emasculated by Cashman's comments that they will trade for Santana and hire Bernie Williams as Cashman’s successor.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:36 am

Francessa just said that the Twins offered JS $100m for 5 years and JS turned it down, which is why the Twins said he would be moved within 10 days.

JS said he wanted $140 for 7 years. It sounds like JS wants out of Minny or he wants to get paid for staying (i.e. the full 7 years at $20m). Now, we’ll see if the promise of paying in NY with its additional endorsement potential alters JS’s demands of 7/$140m.

Mets have the adv of playing in an easier division/league. That's about it. Wright is really the only consistent force in the lineup. Beltran and Reyes are streaky. Delfatso is all but done and Alou can barely stay on the field. Church is nothing to write home about. Castillo can't get the ball out of the infield and Schneider sucks. Maine crumbled down the stretch, Perez is Jekyll and Hyde, Martinez and El Dukes are always hurt. The bp is average. They have a decent offense and decent pitching. They can be good or a disaster. If they get Johan that will probably seperate them out from the rest of the mediocre NL. I don't know why they're worried about us. They should probably take care of the Phils and Braves first.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:42 am

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:46 am

Jan 29, 2008 1:32 pm - Read: Final offer requested by Twins

http://www.metsblog.com/

...posted by Chris Mazzone...

Marty Noble at MLB.com cites ‘a person with firsthand knowledge of the club’s dealings with the Twins’ as saying they have requested a ‘best offer’ from the Mets.

Noble goes on to write…

“The Mets can’t know if the same request has been made of other clubs with interest in Santana or, for that matter, whether other clubs have maintained an interest in the two-time Cy Young Award winner.”

…with how much is at stake, i’d be surprised if the Mets had been giving anything less than their best offer by now...

Twins beat writer Kelly Theiser adds the following in another piece for MLB.com

“The Twins have stepped up their efforts in the last 48 hours to get the teams involved in trade talks to make their last and best offers.

If the Twins feel that none of the offers is acceptable, they could prepare to head to Spring Training with Santana and wait to see if a better market develops for the left-hander.”

…it’s looking more and more like the Twins have finally committed to bringing the saga to an end very soon, one way or another - stay tuned…

We all want this to end with Santana a Mets but then what will we cry and moan about until the season starts? I guess we can then turn our attention to the 25 man roster, the pitching rotation, and why willie Randolph stinks. Come to think of it, these conversation topics are much more appealing than this never ending Santana crap.

Why would the creator (of metsblog) stop posting on santana, it usually gets 10 times as many blogs as any other topic.

Chris, you say that the mets have had their best offer in now for a while. But wouldn’t it be more likely that the mets have had the offer in that they feel should get it done? If they decide now that that offer won’t get it done but adding such-and-such player will, are you saying you dont think theyd consider doing that in order to push the deal through?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:47 am

Buzz: Santana Rejected Five-Year Twins Offer

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/01/29/buzz-santana-rejected-five-year-twins-offer/#comments

According to WFAN’s Mike Francesa, citing ‘the word,’ Johan Santana recently turned down a five-year, $100 million contract offer from the Twins, because he is still holding out for a seven-year, $140 million deal.

Francesa also added the following gem…

“This means the Mets are front and center…

“I still think the Mets are gonna get him, I’ve said that a couple times during the last couple of weeks. Now it looks like it’s moving in that direction.”

…this from the man who has essentially mocked the Mets at every step of the way, suggesting they have no chance to get santana unless they trade Jose Reyes, knowing full well that reyes is going no place…now, all of sudden, he claims to have favored the Mets…does he even listen to what he says…god knows i do, and i hate myself because of it…

…at any rate, as i said earlier today, i believe santana and his agents may have made a request to get this process moving, but i don’t feel it was anything formal or threatening…well, rejecting a five-year, $100 million offer is a pretty clear message i would say

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3