"I couldn't have taken steroids, beca

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: "I couldn't have taken steroids, beca

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:54 pm

Mets reach deal to acquire Santana

All that is left for the Mets is to sign Johan Santana long-term.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7734380/Mets-reach-deal-to-acquire-Santana

The Mets and Twins have reached preliminary agreement on a trade that would send Santana to New York for outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Delois Guerra, according to USA Today.

The 72-hour window for the Mets to sign Santana to a contract extension is now open, major-league sources say. The trade will not become official until the negotiations are complete.

Santana, 28, is expected to require a deal of at least six years and $20 million per season as the price for waiving his no-trade clause. He is eligible for free agency at the end of the season. The Mets have indicated that they do not want to sign Santana for more than five years. But as they prepare to open a new ballpark next season, it is difficult to imagine that they would allow this opportunity to pass.

The trade would mark a coup for the Mets, who appeared out of the running for Santana earlier this off-season, when the Red Sox and Yankees were more aggressive suitors.

Santana would give the Mets an ace not just for next season but beyond — an important consideration with right-handers Pedro Martinez, Orlando Hernandez and Oliver Perez free agents at the end of the season.

The Twins, meanwhile, would receive a less polished group than they might have acquired from the Red Sox, who offered separate packages headed by left-hander Jon Lester and outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

However, the Twins would not expect to contend after losing Santana on top of free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter and right-hander Carlos Silva. The team's history of succeeding with prospect trades involving Frank Viola, Chuck Knoblauch and A.J. Pierzynski apparently emboldened club officials to accept the Mets' offer.

The quality of the Mets' package, though, is certain to be debated. Gomez, a speedy, athletic wonder, needs to prove that he can hit major-league pitching. Mulvey and Humber might only become back-of-the-rotation starters. Guerra has yet to pitch above Class A.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 pm

While I like the fact that the Red Sox didn't land Santana I have to say I'm extremely dissapointed in what they received from the Mets...jeez, here the Twins raked the Yanks over the coals trying to get Hughes and Kennedy and refusing less and then they accept crap from the Mets...go figure
JJCLA
1/29/2008
1:52 PM (report inappropriate content)

Polad family wins. Twins Fans lose, again! Cy Young for Too Young!
PapaGrande
1/29/2008
1:51 PM (report inappropriate content)

Yeah, I thought the whole reason that the Mets were out of it earlier in the offseason is becuase their farm system is dry... somehow now it's not?

Keep digging Rosenthal, at least it's not about steroids...
jtwo
1/29/2008
1:50 PM (report inappropriate content)

The Twins have an open offer to Santana for 4 more years after his current contract is up, at 20 mil per year. (so one more year at 13.25 mil, then four years at 20 mil The Twins may be cheap at times but they are not dumb. If they think it is better to trade for young prospects than to give in to the 7 year, 20 million deal he (his agents) want, then see ya Santana. I have faith in the Twins, they will do what is best for them.
cigarzhar
1/29/2008
1:50 PM (report inappropriate content)

hey, I thank the Yankees for sticking with the youngsters this year. Their bumper crop of young pitchers may stumble at first but they will set the Yanks up for years to come after...
RedbirdRuffian
1/29/2008
1:49 PM (report inappropriate content)

Good move for the Mets, in two years his salary will look like a bargain. Yanks better hope Hughes, Joba work out this year and Andy and Wan g don't get hurt, or they could be looking at the back end of the Rays and Jays. Old position players and young pitching is a bad combo...
teddd
1/29/2008
1:49 PM (report inappropriate content)

thats hilarious, the twins are idiots. what the mariners are offerin for bedard is better than that pile of crap the mets are givin up. jones will be better than gomez will ever hope to be.
kingporkchop
1/29/2008
1:46 PM (report inappropriate content)

Hey zigzag - The yankees are the biggest bust in all of sports when it comes to overpaying players - they are the joke
professorchaos
1/29/2008
1:44 PM (report inappropriate content)

I laugh at the posters who keep talking about the money it will take to sign Santana.

Money is not an issue for the big market teams. The Mets have enough money to sign Santana. They already raised ticket prices by 20% for 2008 and they are going to raise them again when they move the new stadium in 2009.

I am a Mets fan and if I have to pay 20% more than I did last year I would rather pay it to see Santana than Philip Humber.
PapaGrande
1/29/2008
1:44 PM (report inappropriate content)

I don't believe anything Rosenthal reports that's not during the last game of the World Series.
theFFC
1/29/2008
1:43 PM (report inappropriate content)

gotta love the yankees fans coming out saying that santana is in his declining years. if they had nabbed him from minnesota he would be praised as the second coming of cy young himself
mazycranza
1/29/2008
1:42 PM (report inappropriate content)

Thank God he is not going to the Skanks or the Sox. Ellsbury is going to be ROY next year when he swipes 50+ bases and scores 120 runs. I cannot wait. Lester is the 2nd coming of Andy Petitte (sans steroids), and we are going to replace Lugo with Lowry by end of year. Also, Masterson is a stud! Now trade Coco to Texas for Laird/Salty and lets ride baby!

I am so happy the Sox did not pull the trigger on this deal! It gives us financial flexibility for years to come.

Enjoy him Mets! Nice job! Too bad Peddy will be back on the shelf by July!
GD1R
1/29/2008
1:42 PM (report inappropriate content)

Santana and no Growth Hormone! You can have him. Open your eyes.
CatchDog
1/29/2008
1:40 PM (report inappropriate content)

It is about time !!!
pacmantab This user has a blog
1/29/2008
1:38 PM (report inappropriate content)

Arrrgh! Prospects! Prospects! It's always PROSPECTS with the Twins when they give up big names.

How about getting something for something for a change, Pohlad?!?! @#$%@$#%
Hookem99
1/29/2008
1:35 PM (report inappropriate content)

LOL Marty!!
redrobsock
1/29/2008
1:34 PM (report inappropriate content)

it would be nice to see him only 3 times a year with the Met's.
Outback312
1/29/2008
1:34 PM (report inappropriate content)

I will believe it when I see it Santana introduced in a Mets uniform... I hope it becomes reality...
Reality99
1/29/2008
1:33 PM (report inappropriate content)

A good move by the mets, I would compare this to the Red Sox getting pedro in his prime. Santana is not declining he is in his prime. I think however that both the Sox and yankees will breath a sigh of relief that neither got him and he is now in the other league. It's also good for baseball it will be fun seeing some of these young guys from the Sox and yanks compete against each other. Maybe the Sox can get the first back to back to back to back to back HR's against hughes this year!!!
cmufan
1/29/2008
1:28 PM (report inappropriate content)

Yanks aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Red Sox will win their division. But anyway, GO TIGERS!!!!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:56 pm

USA Today: Santana to Mets
MJFan02 Post #1: 4:15 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 101
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-29-twins-mets-santana_N.htm

The USA Today is reporting that Santana to the Mets is done. Coming to MN is outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra, and Kevin Mulvey.
Yblue Post #2: 4:27 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 8266

are Twins fans happy about this?

I'd be furious. 1st b/c the team wont pay up to keep thier guys in the 1st place, 2nd b/c there were better rumored deals out there at various points, or so we were told.
ver1246 Post #3: 4:28 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2541

Edit Message

Are you kidding me? No F**ng Fernando Martinez in this deal. Fire Bill Smith...
EC_Bias Post #4: 4:33 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 3490

I'm not saying what team had the better offer (you Minny fans know what you need).......but this reported agreement - you have to be f'n kidding me.

Bill Smith, way to make a name for yourself....right next to Sabean.
MNfan34 Post #5: 4:37 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 90

I'm not saying what team had the better offer (you Minny fans know what you need).......but this reported agreement - you have to be f'n kidding me.

Bill Smith, way to make a name for yourself....right next to Sabean.

This has TR written all over it. The knoblach and AJ trades had the same feel to them. All-star for a handful of minor leaguers.

BTW, Cashman and the retarrrd steinbrenner are the real cause of this by backing out, which is the only way this could be true. Good luck with Boston next year.

At least we aren't in for a half decade dynasty for boston or NY.
metsmobile Post #6: 4:37 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 30
I think I speak for all Mets fans when I say HOLY MOTHER FU<KING SHTTT!!!! We just got Johan Santana and we still have Fernando Martinez. WOW. Absolutely shocking.

Having said that, Gomez is gonna be very very good. You guys are gonna have fun watching him. Guy is seriously the fastest guy you will ever see. Guerra too has a ton of potential, 18 year old with an unbelievable change up and already a fastball in the low 90s. Humber is good, but has slipped of late. He has an unbelievable curveball and if he can get the velocity back where it used to be, he has a chance to be a number 2 starter or a future closer. Mulvey, i'm not too fond of, but he'll probably be a no. 4 starter.
MJFan02 Post #7: 4:43 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 101
Is it wrong of me to be happy that Santana went to the Mets, even if we did get robbed, just so long as we weren't the reason that Boston or New York got any better? The Mets have to be the favorites in the NL now, but aren't seen as a dead lock to make the WS. Whereas if we had sent Santana to the Red Sox or Yankees there would be no way anybody else would even be considered contenders for the next 5 years.
jamjam1911 Post #8: 4:44 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 222
Good deal for both teams. In time Guerra, Mulvey, Humber and Gomez are going to be good for you guys.
twinsrule_44 Post #9: 4:46 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 14

Let's face it. It became pretty clear from the beginning that the Twins were never going to get everything they'd hoped they would for Johan Santana. Any trade they made was going to be a gamble.

This was the deal that was going to give the Twins quantity, while at the same time getting Johan out of the American League. Gomez and Guerra both seem to have a lot of potential, and Mulvey and Humber still have hope. Mulvey has 3.00 ERA in his minor league career and Humber's a former first-round pick.

I'm not willing to drag Bill Smith over the coals for this one. He came into a very difficult situation this offseason and did the best he could. The Twins should have done more to lock some of these guys up earlier than they did. We're seeing Smith do that now with Morneau and Cuddyer.
joshduns Post #10: 4:49 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1373

are Twins fans happy about this?

I'd be furious. 1st b/c the team wont pay up to keep thier guys in the 1st place, 2nd b/c there were better rumored deals out there at various points, or so we were told.

Upset they woud not resign Santana yes, but I'm not sure the other rumored deals were any better.
MNRunLeft Post #11: 4:51 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2200
Looking at the deal I really hope there is a 5th player in the deal someone anyone...
bosoxnm3 Post #12: 4:54 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 2452
lol at you morons...you could have had Ellsbury or Hughes who are both better than anybody you got in that Mets package.
rleandry112 Post #13: 4:54 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 16

Let's face it. It became pretty clear from the beginning that the Twins were never going to get everything they'd hoped they would for Johan Santana. Any trade they made was going to be a gamble.

This was the deal that was going to give the Twins quantity, while at the same time getting Johan out of the American League. Gomez and Guerra both seem to have a lot of potential, and Mulvey and Humber still have hope. Mulvey has 3.00 ERA in his minor league career and Humber's a former first-round pick.

I'm not willing to drag Bill Smith over the coals for this one. He came into a very difficult situation this offseason and did the best he could. The Twins should have done more to lock some of these guys up earlier than they did. We're seeing Smith do that now with Morneau and Cuddyer.

The problem is he had better deals in hand and tried to get greedy. Now het got stuck with quantity over quality. if he were my GM he'd be hitting the unemployment line right after telling me this was the best he could do.

joshduns Post #14: 4:55 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 1373

Looking at the deal I really hope there is a 5th player in the deal someone anyone...

It would be nice to get Church out of the deal to offer you a servicable CF for the time being and a guy you know will be able to at least contribute right away

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2