Why are Sox still in Santana hunt?

Go down

Post  RedMagma on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Link Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff January 29, 2008 04:09 PM

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Why are the Red Sox still in the Johan Santana hunt after an off-season where their farm system has been praised and pumped up by the No. 2 ranking of Baseball America?

Good question.

The only answers are 1) the Red Sox are genuinely interested in Santana and the thought of creating a superstar rotation with Santana and Josh Beckett at the head of it; 2) the Sox don't trust that the Yankees really are out of the hunt even though we're hearing in the last few hours from major league sources it's between Boston and the Mets.

We all know that a deal for the Yankees and Santana is always one Steinbrenner intervention away from happening and the Red Sox may be figuring that as well.

From the number of E-mails received here it seems that Red Sox Nation would rather build with the kids after the Sox have won two championships in four years than obtain Santana.

From a Red Sox management point of view, one would think with the Yankees and Mets both building new stadiums and their revenues likely to increase even millions more than what they are now, that the Red Sox would begin to exhibit payroll control and go with Clay Buchholz, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester, Justin Masterson and Jed Lowrie rather than trade them off and pay Santana $20-25 million per year over the next five to seven years.

We all know the Mets, who suffered one of the greatest sports collapses ever last season, need Santana desperately and have to pull out every stop to obtain him. That might even mean having to deal both young outfielder's Carlos Gomez and Fernando Martinez (as well as two pitching prospects). A National League GM told me this morning he feels the Mets will land him because in the end "they can't let the one guy who can make them the best team in NL, pass them by."

You can tell there's something going on by the lack of response to inquiries on this subject from Twins' GM Bill Smith, Theo Epstein and Omar Minaya over the last 24 hours. Also, Santana's agent, Peter Greenberg, is in "No comment" mode which is a sign
something is heating up

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are Sox still in Santana hunt?

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:54 am

Wallace Matthews- Sometimes it pays to complain

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spwally305556868jan30,0,508285.column?track=rss

You're welcome, Omar. You, too, Jeff.

It could be mere coincidence that five days after I tore you guys a new dugout for being as active in the offseason as David Wells after Thanksgiving dinner, you go out and make the one deal that turns the Mets into a bona fide World Series contender. But I'd rather think not. I would like to take a little credit for this, too.

Five days ago, I ripped you for doing nothing this winter to improve a team that just performed the most graceless belly flop since Greg Louganis hit his head on a diving board at the 1988 Olympics. Actually, you did do something. You raised ticket prices. At the time that column was written, it was absolutely, positively, 100 percent correct and I for one couldn't have been happier about having written it.

So now, you go out and get Johan Santana for the equivalent of a rosin bag, a fungo bat and a pine tar rag. You steal him from the Yankees and Red Sox, both of whom had far better offers on the table back in December at the winter meetings. You give up four guys nobody will cry about losing. Not a Kazmir in the bunch. Just days before Groundhog Day, you upstage Punxsutawney Phil, pop out of your hole, don't see your shadow and promise us an early spring. What are you trying to do, make me look bad?

I prefer to think you are actually trying to make me look good. Like you took my advice or something. Or at least got good and mad about being called out for your futility this winter. You see, I like to think of myself not as a critic, but a motivator, a kind of personal trainer for sluggish general managers and franchise owners. I'm even willing to try to get their rich, pampered sons off the couch and into the action.

For once, it seems to have worked. Back in October, I wrote that you should part ways with Jose Reyes, who showed more than a little woof-woof last year as the Mets' season careened down the tubes. I thought you should trade him for Santana and then, to fill that newly dug hole at shortstop, throw the rest of the money you will be raking in from the new ballpark, new naming rights and the ticket prices at Alex Rodriguez.

It was a bold plan, a daring move, the kind of thing that transforms teams and either sends their GMs to Cooperstown or the want ads.

For some strange reason, you rejected that game plan. Up until yesterday, I thought you guys were about as smart as a sack of baseballs for doing so. But you did better than I ever could have and better than I thought you were capable of. Since I am taking credit for spurring you to do this, I can honestly say I am proud of you. (By the way, I may have to start the season on the DL. Three paragraphs up, I think I blew out a rotator cuff from patting myself on the back.)

But I must admit, not even I am megalomaniac enough to believe I did this all by myself. I had plenty of help from the Yankees, who in an uncharacteristic spasm of logic and restraint, decided to resist the urge to throw away their future, and a large chunk of Hank and Hal's inheritance, in yet another attempt to buy themselves the American League East. I must also share credit with the Red Sox, who would be damned before they'd allow the Yankees to grab the fiscal high road for themselves.

But most of all, I must credit the Minnesota Twins, who overplayed their hand beautifully. They blew a chance to add Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera from the Yankees or get either Jon Lester or Jacoby Ellsbury from the Red Sox. Either of those deals would have been better than Carlos Gomez and Phil Humber, but that's what you get from being indecisive, greedy, or both. Gomez looked like a nice little player but I, for one, will not miss Humber since I was never going to get used to that silent H at the beginning of his last name.

The truth is, as the rest of the field fell away, this guy pretty much fell into your lap. Well, good for you. There's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time, which is something that hasn't happened to the Mets in quite a while. Maybe it was just about time for something to go right in Flushing for a change.

Or maybe it was a case of finally realizing that what you thought was hateful criticism was actually tough love.

Well done, boys. And remember: If you need any more help, I'm here for you.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:59 am

Yankees deserve assist in Mets' Santana deal

Ken Davidoff
January 30, 2008

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spken305556864jan30,0,548551.column?track=rss

In this crazy world of New York baseball, it just might turn out that, when the Mets complete their miraculous acquisition of Johan Santana, they should thank the Steinbrenner boys most of all.

Hank and Hal Steinbrenner, George's sons - who, a year ago at this time, had virtually nothing to do with Major League Baseball - unwittingly engineered a bait-and-switch that concluded with one of the most glorious moments in the Mets' history.

Hank, with his boisterous talk and his tossing of money at Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera and Alex Rodriguez, convinced Twins general manager Bill Smith that he had a dupe on his hands. That the longer he dangled Santana, the more Hank would salivate like Wimpy in front of a hamburger.

Hal, the quiet, younger sibling - with an assist from Yankees general manager Brian Cashman - ensured that moment of desperation would never come.

It turned into a remarkable misreading by Smith of his potential trading partners. This isn't to say that, five years from now, we won't be praising Smith for his vision in taking Carlos Gomez, Deolis Guerra, Phil Humber and Kevin Mulvey. But you won't find a non-Twins executive in the industry who would choose that package over one fronted by the Yankees' Phil Hughes, Boston's Jon Lester or Lester's teammate Jacoby Ellsbury.

Smith's patience and high demands worked as a strategy only if he were willing to take Santana into spring training with him. After all, the Twins, with Santana aboard, could have made a bona fide run at the World Series. The A's Billy Beane has shown there's no shame in carrying a player through his walk year - be it Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada or Barry Zito - and then picking up compensatory draft picks for him as he departs.

Yet that turned out not to be a real option for the Twins. According to a person briefed on the Twins' thinking, manager Ron Gardenhire believed that Torii Hunter's impending free agency served as a yearlong distraction in 2007, and he didn't want to go through that again with Santana.

Granted, Santana would have attracted far more media scrutiny than did Hunter. But come on, now. Suck it up and work through such lightweight stuff. The Mets, Yankees and Red Sox deal with high-profile players in their walk year pretty much every year, and they seem to do all right.

So to the trade offers Smith went, and he let the Yankees' package of Hughes and Melky Cabrera go by, asking for Ian Kennedy, as well. The Yankees, already skittish about including just Hughes, passed, and they eventually took Hughes off the table altogether. The Red Sox's interest never seemed to surpass an interest in making sure the Yankees didn't get Santana at a bargain rate.

Remember how the Yankees folded on their "We won't sign A-Rod if he opts out" pledge? The Twins did - too much, it seems. They equated that situation with the Santana trade discussions.

But it was apples and oranges. The A-Rod threat served as mere rhetoric. Ultimately, the Yankees still believed their best move for third base was to re-sign A-Rod, and once A-Rod renounced Scott Boras, it all came together. This time, however, Cashman believed that the better baseball maneuver was to keep Hughes. Hal Steinbrenner believed that the team's payroll was high enough, as it was.

And Hank Steinbrenner, impetuous as he may seem, served as no match against that duo.

Enter the Mets, who, to their credit, hung in there when the Twins kept asking for first Jose Reyes and then Fernando Martinez. Who refused to give up and sign a Kyle Lohse or Livan Hernandez until Santana's fate was settled.

Who have now successfully changed the conversation about them, after The Collapse hovered for almost four months.

Great work by the Mets, yet they couldn't have done it without some help from the Yankees, and some incompetence by the Twins.

They say it takes a village. Consider the Triborough Bridge the midpoint of baseball's oddest village.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:02 am

Its really not fair .. but it is the way it is... that all teams hold to the yankees to a hire standard... when we have no farm they dont want anyone... when we have a great farm there unreasonable.

In all honesty Kennedy Melky and 2 A ball high risk high reward pitchers would have blown that off away. I dont get it ... but at least we didnt get taken. Im very interested now to see what the mets give him in contract... In all honesty I know there's always a risk of injury, but if he didnt sign an extension and played out this year he could reasonably go 23+ wins under 2.5 era in the crappy NL and command 25 or more a year.

The best thing to come out of this is the payroll gap gets closer! I love it!

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:06 am

Gomez Stinks. Melky is better than him... Look at the stats in his minors and Melky's play in tougher league ...

At least Melky is patient hitter unlike Gomez who strikes out a ton..

Why would Twins Mulvey ? Kennedy is better than him and put better numbers in the minors than stinkin Mulvey. Kennedy was former first round pick , In case you forgot.

Pelfrey is sinker ball pitcher? Why would Twins want him?

Look in the mirror before saying something stupid...

The Yankees won 4 world series and made playoffs ever year. Where is the respect?

How about Ny Mets? Oops that's they choke last year and haven't won world series last 20 years. Arrogant Mets Fans always talking trash , they thought they won the world series last year..

In that case The Yankees should add Marquez in deal for Santana. He's sinker ball pitcher like Pelfrey who throws mid-90's fast ball and former first round pick which Yankees got for losing Fat and Slob David Wells.

Mets Fans Ė Read above and substitute Giants for Yankees. Mets fans are cocky for no good reason. Every 7 or 8 years they catch lightning in a bottle, but for the most part they are all talk, and no results.

It's Twins Decision to make which team has best package for Santana, Not Omar or Mets. Good Luck...

"Part of it is that while the Mets have a *decent* offer on the table, I think the Red Sox have a better one. The other part is that I just don't want the Mets to get Santana because I'm a Braves fan. In my perfect world, the Twins keep him away from the Evil Empire, the Evil Empire Part II, or my team's direct competitor."

and...

"the Mets package isnít bad, and its definitely better than the 2 draft picks the Twins would get by just letting Johan walk, but its more quantity than quality in the sense that the best potential prospects in the deal are so young and raw, you cant possibly know how they'll pan out yet as a MLB'er."

You objectivity is appreciated as there is not much of that going around. I have no problem if you like the Red Sox deal of Lester/Crisp/Lowrie/Masterson better, but to deny the Mets package is pretty good is utterly ridiculous.

Arcthelad09...Did you suit up for the Yankees last year? I'm missing why someone with no actual knowledge of the game deserves respect. I love talking baseball with Yankee fans that actually know baseball and can have constructive arguments. But when you start bringing up championships, you lose me. How does that exactly fit into what we are talking about now?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down