Hank On Santana To Mets

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Hank On Santana To Mets

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:32 pm

# Blargh January 31st, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Heh, speaking of the post, anybody else read this?
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01312008/sports/mets/dont_expect_johan_talks_to_hit_snag_382409.htm?page=2

Some possible contract forecasts by a few agents
# kd January 31st, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I don’t know if it was purely Cashman. Did the Yankees really want to Pay $150 million for a pitcher that might get hurt? What is Hal said no to the deal and Cashman was just the messenger?

He does have a lot of pressure, but he always does
# Search Man January 31st, 2008 at 12:08 pm

There’s no chance the twins were asking for Wang and Kennedy. Do you really think the Yanks regard Phil higher than Wang (who has won 19 games this year and has the most wins over the last two years, [just to remind the haters]). No Way.
# jay destro January 31st, 2008 at 12:09 pm

big upgrade on the new pic pete.
# Jesse January 31st, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I liken the Twins GM to contestants on Deal or No Deal.

They start out the game with some very nice offers from the banker and keep turning them down as they go; all in hopes of hitting the jackpot.

How many times have you seen a contestant on DOND turn down over $200,000 in hopes of winning the $1,000,000 and then wind up with less than $5,000. It makes no sense.

The same can be said for the Twins GM. At one time he had some pretty decent offers on the table and wound up with the equivalent of less than $5,000 compared to what he could have made a deal for earlier.

If anyone should be worried about getting fired, it should be him!

My feeling about Santana is the same as my feeling about Arod. No one player makes the team.
# JoeT YANKEES January 31st, 2008 at 12:09 pm

hey everyone, I just saw this on mlbtraderumors, it came from Buster Olney’s Blog so I’d believe it:

“According to Buster Olney in his blog today:

The Twins tried to re-engage the Yankees Monday night, calling and asking, again, for Hughes to be in a package. The Yankees said no, and the Twins then asked, instead, for Chien-Ming Wang and Ian Kennedy, and the Yankees said no.

This differs from Bob Klapisch’s take yesterday. Klapisch said the Twins’ last-ditch proposal to the Yankees was for Ian Kennedy, Melky Cabrera, and a top prospect. Regardless, the Yankees preferred to enter the ‘08 season with Wang, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes, and Joba Chamberlain in the rotation. Kennedy and Mike Mussina will compete for the fifth spot.”
# StandingO'Neil January 31st, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Same ole Joel Sherman, trying to stir up trouble.
# burnie January 31st, 2008 at 12:10 pm

pete- you need a different picture. i like you, but you kinda look like an alien in this one. was it from a camera phone?
# StandingO'Neil January 31st, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Also basically I think this offseason the yankees had a choice, Arod or Santana. They choose arod, and as a fan I’m happy with that. Arod I think will be more vital to the team in the long run, and its more entertaining to watch on a day to day basis. Come on yankee fans, we can’t be to spoiled, we can only have one super-mega star.
# McLovin January 31st, 2008 at 12:15 pm

You know I was listening to the radio last night and somebody made a great point.The ‘06 Marlins had greeat pitchers like Josh Johnson,Anibal SAnchez and another giving the team 64 strong starts and competing for a playoff spot.But in ‘07 those pitchers only gave you 11 starts.And people have said maybe Giriadi rid his pitchers hard all year.

The point of that caller was how if you gonna have 3/4 of your whole pitching staff young and inexpirence you are gonna have some great years and some horrible.But you need AT LEAST A Ace.Hank is not gonna let this team rebuild and have a off year.It’s gonna take 2-3 years before these guys become Aces.
# Gustavo January 31st, 2008 at 12:15 pm

I don’t think Cashman should feel any pressure about the non-deal involving Kennedy, it never would have happened. Think about it a little bit… Twins call yankees and offer Santana for Kennedy et al, do you really think the twins are just going to say DEAL! and sign the papers? No, they would call Boston, and say hey, I got the yankees back on board, Boston offers Lester and we’re back in the winter meetings all over again. There was no way Santana was going to come cheap(no Hughes, no Lester or Ellsbury) to either AL East team, the other team would make sure of that. Both the yankees, twins and redsox are happy Santana is in the NL.
# JoeT YANKEES January 31st, 2008 at 12:15 pm

I forgot to add this before I sent the last one - but does anyone remember that Wang has 19 wins the last two seasons…. including missing the first month or so and probably 4 starts at the begining of last season? Just because he doesn’t strike people out, has a quiet personality, and didn’t have a great post-season last year doesn’t mean the guy is not an elite pitcher.
# yanks61 January 31st, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Great point, Pete. I, too, commend Cashman for having the guts to go with his gut feeling about keeping the kids. He’s said in the past that this is not about what’s best for Brian Cashman, it’s what best for the Yankees. If only a few executives of big corporations would have that kind of long term view rather than always trying to please the stockholders (us fan in this case) in the present.

Frankly, I think Cash doesn’t have to worry about a job. It might not be his preferred job with the Yankees, but he’d be picked up in a NY minute by any number of teams if Hank were to give him the pink slip. Regardless of what happens this year, I believe that he’s laying the foundations for a great future and he would be leaving with the gratitude of a lot of Yankere fans.
# Yankee Fan in Boston January 31st, 2008 at 12:16 pm

I’ve always said what made this situation SO interesting is that it was Santana, the best pitcher, bar none, the past 3-4 years.

If it’s anyone else, you can commend Cash and Co. for standing their ground. But Santana is an exception, imo.

I agree with Joel Sherman, Phil and Ian need to be special. I think Phil has a shot… Not sure on Kennedy though. Would love to be wrong, however.
# SJ44 January 31st, 2008 at 12:17 pm

The Twins did ask for Wang and Kennedy. They wouldn’t have been the only parts of the offer.

They were not going to trade Santana to the Yankees for a similar package of prospects they got from the Mets. If they wanted to do that, a deal could have been done in December.

The Cashman haters won’t believe this, regardless of who reports the offers. They just want to believe Cashman “blew it”.

Let’s be clear. For a guy commanding the type of money Santana will command, this isn’t the GM’s call. Its ownership’s call.

If Yankee ownership wanted Santana, they would have overruled Cashman.

Clearly, Brian Cashman was not the only person in the organization who didn’t want to do the deal.

Again, the relevent question is this, do you trade Wang, Kennedy and one or two others for Santana? That’s the offer that was on the table, not some made up nonsense.

You play GM. Up or down. Do you do that deal?

If I was the GM, I don’t do that deal. But, that’s just me. I could be wrong.
# Mark January 31st, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Peter,
I believe the Mets picked up those guys from the street.
# JoeT YANKEES January 31st, 2008 at 12:21 pm

SJ - not a chance i trade Wang and Kennedy

I understand that Santana is a great pitcher, better then Wang - but Wang takes the ball, goes 7-8 innings deep (with Torre as a manager and we all know a baserunner after the 6th is enough to get an early shower) and he won 19 games two years in a row, compared to Johan’s 15 last year

Good job cash, let the kids play, i’m excited to see it!
# Peter Abraham January 31st, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Keep in mind that with trade talks, all sorts of combinations come up. What is reported is likely accurate, or at least it was at some point. GMs talk, text and e-mail constantly.
# jennifer- Hip Hip Jorge January 31st, 2008 at 12:22 pm

What does the Twins asking for Wang, Kennedy and Melky have anything to do with how the Yankees regard him?
# Blargh January 31st, 2008 at 12:23 pm

As LEGEND as Santana is, he’s not out there throwing 380+ innings…
# Mark January 31st, 2008 at 12:24 pm

“Peter,
I believe the Mets picked up those guys from the street.”

When I say that I mean the players that they gave up.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 12:25 pm

kennedy/cabrerra/horne/marquez for Santana is a deal that should have been made!

If we don’t make the playoffs or if we struggle all year.. 90% of Yankee fans will be kicking themselves and calling for cashmans head.

I personally think it was a MAJOR blunder to not get Johan and can’t believe that anyone things differently. This is Johan Santana folks we have not had an Ace on our staff for how long now? I’m sick of not having a real Ace leading our rotation. That does not mean I don’t think the kids are anything short of fantastic. I look at the last 4 years of Yankee baseball, and it was something that we have been in dire need of.

Maybe if Cashman hadn’t made so many other mistakes with pitching.. Old Randy Johnson, Jared Wright, Kei Igawa and the flop of Clemens last year.. than maybe we would not have a gun shy general manager.

You cannot change my mind about the fact that the Yankees with the kids still need an Ace to lead this rotation PERIOD!

It’s a sad day for the Yankees to all of the sudden stand pat, I can see if it was on any other positioned player.. other than a true #1 Ace, Not forgetting a true #1 left handed Ace, something we don’t have at all, not even in the system. We have NO lefty pitching at all!

Again I say good move Yankees sarcastically.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

# Yankee Fan in Boston January 31st, 2008 at 12:25 pm

SJ44:

I don’t do that deal (Kennedy + Wang), either, but if it was Hughes + Kennedy + more back in december, I probably pull the trigger on that one.

It’s all deliciously complicated, when you factor in the money, the potential, the rumors of injury to Santana.

Personally, as long as he didn’t go to Boston, I feel the Yankees were winners either way. Keep Hughes, or get Santana.

From the article:
As an executive from another club said, “If I had to gamble on one pitcher to be great the next six years, I would bet on Santana.”

Yeah, me too.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Seriously, Cashman acted as if he was trading for Hanna Montana and not Johan Santana.

It will take me a very long time to overcome my disappointment.
# Blargh January 31st, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Fleas: If you were the Yankees GM, and Smith tells you that he’ll take ‘Kennedy/Cabrera/Horne/Marquez’
Then you accept
..THEN Smith says, ‘Wait, give me a moment…’

What do you do?
# Vader January 31st, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Whine and complain
# JoeT YANKEES January 31st, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Santana with the Yankees = 20 wins for 35 million (salary plus luxury tax)

Wang = 19 wins (5 million)

Kennedy = 10 wins (peanuts)
# SJ44 January 31st, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Fleas,

That’s your deal. Not the deal the Twins proposed. Your suggested deal was not something that interested the Twins or was on the table. That’s the point in this exercise.

The actual deal that was on the table was, Wang, Kennedy and two other parts for Santana. If you are the Yankees, its a no brainer that you turn that deal down.

Yankee Fan in Boston,

In December, I agree with you. I probably do that deal because you can sign Cameron for a year to slot into CF. I wouldn’t have traded Hughes AND Kennedy. I would have done the deal that was proposed: Hughes, Cabrera, Marquez and Hilligoss.

Problem is, when Smith got that proposal, he shopped it. Once he did that, that deal was no longer on the table.

That’s why Smith should have pulled the trigger in December.

The deal proposed the other day? If you are the Yankees, you can’t make that deal. You have no CF to replace Cabrera, early reports on Hughes’ health are very good, and you just lose your luster to deal with Bill Smith and his neverending shopping the offers again.

Just like in life, timing is everything. If Smith understood that in December, he would have gotten a better deal for his franchise player.
# mel January 31st, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Cashman has always said he’s managing for the Yankees, not for his job. He’s confident that he’s doing the right thing. No waffling (ahem, Mr. Smith).

Phil thrives on pressure. He’ll also have something to prove.

Joba will have more pressure on himself now that he’s replaced Phil as the newest “face” of the Yankees.
# SJ44 January 31st, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Left one thing out of my last post. Oh by the way, there is this “little” matter of a 150 million dollar contract (with a 40% luxury tax hit) to top off making this deal.

The more you look at EVERYTHING involved in this, not just Santana’s great talent, its easy to see why the Yankees (and Red Sox for that matter) passed.
# JoeT YANKEES January 31st, 2008 at 12:38 pm

SJ - couldn’t agree with you more
# CorShep January 31st, 2008 at 12:39 pm

That’s absurd that Hank might fire Cash is Hughes doesn’t put up Santana like numbers! Cash said no to the deal because the future benefits outweigh next years, not because He thinks Hughes will be Santana starting next year.. jeez Hank’s gotta chill and realize that Hank and Cash are being smart and making the same dumb mistake that the Yank’s made 2000-2006

I’ll be fine with the yanks getting the wild card and getting eliminated if the big 3 put up decent numbers and gain experience. In 2-3 years we should be in world series contention for 10 years running!

Adding Santana could do that for the next 2-3 years, but it could backfire which would be the end of the Yankees. He would restrict future free agent signings (TEX, CC, etc.), keep the Yankees payroll way above the #2 team, and 6-7 years is way too much for a pitcher.
# Vader January 31st, 2008 at 12:41 pm

People are just upset that the Yankees didn’t just go out and do what ever it took to get Santana.

I mean if this is the new philosophy (keeping young talent, building from within and having some fiscal sanity), the fans shouldn’t be upset, the rest of baseball should be worried, because the m.o. of the Yankees was to spend at all costs…look what that did in the 1980s and past few years.
# Yankee Fan in Boston January 31st, 2008 at 12:43 pm

SJ44:

Yes, Smith tried to be uber-GM back in December, and see if he could make a grand entrance to the ball. He tried to play the Yankees off the Sox and strike it rich. Instead he got pressured by Santana into taking whatever he could get.

Unless the Twins have some heaven-sent team of scouts and the Mets prospects flourish for the Twins, this is a hard lesson learned for the Twins new GM.

I have a fellow Yankee fan who lives down the street from me, and we’re both in agreement that as fans, it’ll be nice to see if Phil Hughes becomes something great, as it’s been far too long since we’ve had that (neither of us think Wang is an ace, but do still think he’s valuable.)

The money issues involved make this that much easier to accept, for sure. But it’s foolish for anyone to downplay Santana’s talent.
# F Stan January 31st, 2008 at 12:43 pm

The pressure is made up by guys like Sherman ( He might be a Lupica wannabe)
If the Yanks had signed him then he would be complaining
about the payroll…
Everyone wanted to develop the kids.. now let’s see how they
do….
On another subject… Can we get some people with a personality on the Yankee hot stove !! These guys act like they’re dead but too tired to lay down….
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Blargh:

I give him a take it or leave it offer, which he was looking for on Tuesday. What do you have to lose by offering it? Nothing. If you don’t offer it.. what do you gain/lose? Nothing.

I can’t see Bill Smith as desparate as he became in the end turning down a “kennedy, cabrera, horne, marquez” deal. I just can’t see it.

You have to do that deal. You absolutely have to. People keeping forgetting that not only it is Santana but also something we need VERY BADLY. A strong lefty that can give us innings. (other than pet)

SJ44:

“The actual deal that was on the table was, Wang, Kennedy and two other parts for Santana. If you are the Yankees, its a no brainer that you turn that deal down.”

If that is true, which there has been reports that it is not. Than I told you yesterday that I would not make that deal and tell Smith to take a hike.

If it is true that Cashman let the deal go over Kennedy, which I tend to think he did (Common sense tells you that deal is a vast improvement over what the mets did)
I’ll stick to what I said above.
# CorShep January 31st, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Also - 6 years of Phil Hughes, about 25 million(estimated thru arbitration) equals 1 year of Santana. I’ll take Hughes

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

# Keith FL January 31st, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Fleas I agree with you 100%……..
We traded for David Cone and he was extremely valuable to the early dynasty…the Sox traded Hanley Ramirez and Sanchez for Beckett, think they love that trade now after winning another World Series? We needed Santana, an ace there for us to acquire, why have we lost in the postseason the last 7 years…..pitching…why did we win the WS 4 out of 5 years..pitching…not offense, if they were so worried about the money, they should have let ARod go and don’t start to say where would the offense be, who would play third…Boggs, Hayes, and Brosius come to mind..guys like that would have worked, they wanted their big name to sell tickets for the new stadium and break records in the Yankee uniform..we have him but no pitching…Cashman you have failed again when it comes to pitching, you wanted Kevin Brown, Vasquez, and Johnson..but get cheap when it came to Santana and he ends up with the Mets, you blew it and I guess we’ll spend another year chasing the Red Sox and maybe the Tigers even though they have more of an all star line-up than we had when we lost to them in 06 and Leyland said we had too many stars….going in to the season with Pettite and Wang and 3 youngsters, it will be another long season of chasing..thanks Cashman and little Stein…might as well just hand the division to the Red Sox and lets look forward to Wang on opening day…he is a #3 pitcher at best…how can anyone feel confident in our starting pitching this year, Cashman you blew it and I hope you are no longer the GM after this year!
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 12:51 pm

SJ44:

“The actual deal that was on the table was, Wang, Kennedy and two other parts for Santana. If you are the Yankees, its a no brainer that you turn that deal down.”

Hence what I said about Cashman blowing money on Clemens and Igawa last year. We have a lot of money coming off the books next year and we also have a new stadium to INCREASE our already HIGHEST earning franchise in baseball’s revenue!!!!!

So don’t give me the luxury tax bit.
# Old Goat January 31st, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I was not all that happy when Hughes was offered in December, but I could accept it. When Smith played his game and then wanted Kennedy added to Hughes it became too much. The additional wins Santana could bring doesn’t justify the cost.

I can see Smith going after Wang instead of Hughes in the last ditch effort. Wang had just had a terrible post season, so in some eyes the value of him dropped. In that same line of thought, Hughes did very well in the post season, and had shown signs of him returning to form from his injuries.

I think there should be some concern over Santana’s health. I would think that the Yankees staff looked over every single game he was pitching this past season. Seeing the changes in his pitch selection, his effectiveness, his increase in fly outs would be something that they would evaluate. Santana is a great pitcher, but he has been used pretty hard over the years. All that use in cumulative in terms of wear and tear on the arm.

Gun to head you would choose Santana. Thinking it through the permutations, costs, benefits, future available free agents and it changes the computations.

While I think Smith was doing what he could to get a good deal, he over played it. Once he did that, deeper thought processes came into play. Smith threw away his best deals, and now he will have to live with selling Santana for far less than he could have.
# Blargh January 31st, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I can see him turning it down; he did turn down a Ellsbury/Lowrie deal (according to an update to one of Pete’s posts before)
# CorShep January 31st, 2008 at 12:54 pm

keith!! How the F does a pitcher win 19 games in back to back seasons with ERA around 3.6 and be at best a #3 pitcher. Is CC a #2 starter in your mind? Or Pettitte a #5 starter? Yours nuts man. I can see people saying the’s the best #2 starter in the game, but #3… get help.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 12:55 pm

SJ44:

I pasted the wrong quote of yours sorry..

I meant to paste:

“Left one thing out of my last post. Oh by the way, there is this “little” matter of a 150 million dollar contract (with a 40% luxury tax hit) to top off making this deal.”
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 12:55 pm

“he did turn down a Ellsbury/Lowrie deal”

Are following this at all?

Boston pulled both of them from the deal!
# stuart January 31st, 2008 at 12:56 pm

I think the biggest reason the trade was not done is simple and it was $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Santana was unaffordable.. If he became a FA next yr. no brainer, at present the Ynks payroll is over $200 mill and with Sanatana would be $220 mill +.. Even the Yankees cannot afford that.

Next yr. the Yanks will have so much more financial flexibilty it will be a joke. gone are giambis’ contract, abreu at $19 mill, Moose at $11 or more, Pettite at $16, Kyle $4.5 or so,etc.. I bet they lose over $70 mill in contracts and really the talent is playing at 1/2 the price at best for what they are getting
# JRVJ January 31st, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I think Sherman makes a mistake in his reasoning that ONLY Hughes is under pressure if Santana is a stud.

IMO, if Melky has a season with an OPS of .800 or if Kennedy is a solid 4/5 starter, a lot of the pressure is off Hughes, regardless how Hughes does.

Conversely, if Melky and Kennedy bomb, then it’s up to Hughes to carry the load.
# wsr January 31st, 2008 at 12:58 pm

There’s a whole lot of things that could have happened. a source could have misheard what happened, it could have been the yankees offering the ipk cabera deal, with the twins countering with the wang ipk deal. or the twins could have come to cash with that deal, cash could have said yes, if you sign right now, no more playing one team against another. or neither deal could have actually been proposed.

We don’t know what was actually offered or discussed. neither do these reporters. they only know what they’ve heard through their sources. unless the teams let them in on those conference calls, which i’d find a little surprising.

assuming that the proposals in the media are the actual proposals made, and the only discussion between the two teams is a narrow view, and will only lead to people drawing the conclusion that cash is an idiot.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Old Goat:

“I think there should be some concern over Santana’s health. I would think that the Yankees staff looked over every single game he was pitching this past season. Seeing the changes in his pitch selection, his effectiveness, his increase in fly outs would be something that they would evaluate.”

Santana did not have the motivation to keep pitching for the Twins, he wanted out then and expressed he wasn’t happy. I personally think he just didn’t give it his all.

Funny how people think Santana has a health issue.. that to me is an excuse!

If Santana had arm problems, How do you explain Wang’s major blowout! Maybe his arms fell off.
# Mussinatlanta January 31st, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Let’s say the Mets locked up Santana.

How funny would it be if the Yanks traded Mussina to Atlanta for say righthanded reliever Manny Acosta? ($11.5M cleared, good 25-26 year old bullpen arm acquired, Kennedy takes over Mussina’s slot, the Yanks go with an all-farm system rotation and the kids).

The Mets win the N.L. East as expected, the Braves win the wildcard, and both teams face each other in the N.L.C.S.

Games 1 & 5: Pedro vs. Smoltz

Advantage Atlanta because Pedro will be expected to deliver in his first postseason start as a Met. Smoltz is probably the Mets archnemesis as far as opposing starters go, or so it seems.

Games 2 & 6: Perez vs. Glavine

Advantage Atlanta because the Mets can’t let a guy who completed the choke by flopping in the final 2007 regular season game then ditched them to return to their archrival beat them.

Games 3 & 7: Santana vs. Hudson

Advantage Atlanta because Santana would be expected to win wayyy more than Hudson.

Game 4: Maine vs. Mussina

Advantage Atlanta because the Mets can’t let an ex-Yankee beat them.

That would be one hell of an N.L.C.S.
# Blargh January 31st, 2008 at 12:59 pm

The update in this post: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/01/29/yankees-watch-as-santana-goes-to-mets/

So it was 2 days ago

So far I’ve only seen Klapisch say no offer from Boston, but then again Klapisch says Kennedy/Cabrera (and we already know Olney said Wang/Kennedy)

At this point, which report’s believable anymore?
# Keith FL January 31st, 2008 at 1:00 pm

You’re right CorShep Wang is a good #2…I’m still not happy with how he pitched against Cleveland in the playoffs so thats why I wrote #3….especially since I think we could have beat Boston in an ALCS…..
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Wang’s major blow out does not just mean post-season either. He stopped throwing his sinker after the all-star break… WHY? He must be injured! Of course he is. BLAH BLAH
# jashell2000 January 31st, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Good post Pete. I agree with you, as well with the move that Cash made.

I am EXTREMLY happy with the way things have gone with Santana. To me this was the second best thing to happen behind only Santana returning to the Twins and playing out the entire season (which was highly unlikely) and then fight to sign him after the 08 season. This move accomplishes 2 things. 1. He is not in a Red Sox uniform and 2. He is out of the American league (won’t have to deal with him except for possible interleague).

I maintain that to get this deal done meant sacrificing players/farm AND a lot of money. And judging by the way things are going with the METS and Santana, they have not agreed to a contract yet…so really I will guage how well the METS did AFTER a contract is in place. I am sure Sanatana is asking for the moon (6 years, $126 million per or something crzazy). We will see if the METS give in. I am happy. The kids will show up this year. Eiland being in the pen is HUGE, as I believe that he will get these guys to perform better than what Gator would have done. Cashman will be fine. That’s my take.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:33 pm

#

I am sorry, but I don’t see where Hughes has any additional pressure on him. It wasn’t his idea to be included or removed from the trade talks. Same with any of the players. This was a management decision where they weighed the pluses and minuses of all the trade options they were willing to take. The Twins were the ones to say no.

It takes a team to win or lose. It isn’t on one person’s shoulders. If a team dies from one player’s impact then that team isn’t a good team. The Yankees have a strong all around team. They are going to either win together or fail together. A pitcher playing at most every 5 games isn’t going to help a team that can’t win when he isn’t on the mound.
# CorShep January 31st, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Fleas - He had like an 8 game winning streak after the all star break what the hell are you talking about lol?

And keith - So Santana must be a #2 pitcher because he’s 1-3 in the playoffs. Great arguement.
# pat January 31st, 2008 at 1:06 pm

The people who think Hank will demand Cashman’s head if this non-trade proves bad are forgetting about Hal Steinbrenner. He is rumored not to be infavor of the deal and has as much or more power in these decisions as Hank.

Count me on the wouldn’t do the trade side. It’s time for the Yankees to take inventory on the entire organization to see if the have what they think they do. That extends beyond players. Are the scouts seeing what they think they are. Are the personnel working with the players in the minors doing what best develops them. The best way to see that is to have some of those kids play it out all the way to the major league level.
# Blargh January 31st, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Don’t bother with the postseason determines all a player’s value reasoning

That’s the sort of reasoning that would say Sabathia and Carmona are #3’s or 4’s after their performance in the ALCS
# jashell2000 January 31st, 2008 at 1:07 pm

KEITH FL

Cashman you have failed again when it comes to pitching, you wanted Kevin Brown, Vasquez, and Johnson..

Actually I beleive “George” wanted Johnson and Brown more than Cash. George had been infatuated with Unit for years actually. They gambled on Vasquez and lost. That Vasquez deal hurt, since it looked like he would translate success from montreal to NY/American league a.k.a big boy league. oh well…
# jennifer- Hip Hip Jorge January 31st, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Just because Santana is going to the NL doesn’t mean he will pitch great there. You need to look no further than Barry Zito who signed his insane contract last year. Everyone thought that he’d lower his era by one run. Well 3.86 last year in Oakland, and in San Fran 4.53. He is likely an exception to the rule.

So by the same token if Johan pitches to a 2.50 era you can’t assume that he would do the same in the Al East, espically considering how he pitches at every park, with the exception of Tampa.
# Old Goat January 31st, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Fleas, I think you need to layoff the coffee or something. You are way too far over the top.

Wang was following his pitching coach’s advice with what to throw. The league was sitting on his sinker, he had trouble with his finger nail. They are entirely different matters.

Honestly, if Santana stopped playing because he was unhappy, who the heck wants him on your team? Not me. I don’t care if he is in the worst club or the best club, he should be pitching at his best level. That is what a champion does.

You ignore that he had bone chip problems in the past. If you had them once, they ALWAYS come back. It has been talked about quite a bit that there is some concern over Santana’s health. His velocity is down. That is one of the first signs of something breaking down. He isn’t using a slider. These adjustments aren’t from not caring.

Fleas, you really are sounding like some spoiled brat kid who is throwing a temper tantrum because mommny won’t let you have that candy bar.
# Raul January 31st, 2008 at 1:12 pm

I WOULD HAVE MADE THE SANTANA DEAL,YOUNG PITCHERS ARE A GAMBLE AND JOHAN IS THE BEST LEFTHANDED IN BASEBALL…I JUST HOPE THAT BY SEPT WE ARE NOT GONNA BE SORRY AS WE WATCH THE REDSOX FLY AWAY WITH THE AL EAST AND THEN THE TITLE.
# Mussinatlanta January 31st, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Now that I think about it, why not Mussina to Atlanta? Nevermind Acosta, I’m looking at their 2007 roster and see alot of young guys made starts for them i.e. they seem to have a glut of young arms -how ’bout one of them?

They’d be idiots to not want a rotation of Hudson/ Glavine/ Smoltz/ Mussina/ Hampton cuz that is far and away all-around better and deeper than the Mets even with Santana. Perez and Maine just came off of breakout years last year, are they really repeating or bettering that when just two short years ago they were reclamation projects from Pittsburgh and Baltimore? Is Mike Pelfrey really ready to be the fifth starter? Will Pedro finally give them a full (minimum 30 start) season after two years of showing he’s done? Will Santana be as advertised as this isn’t Minneapolis and the Yanks are just across the way. What’s the deal with El Duque?

You have to figure the Braves would improve on their 84 wins last year by adding Glavine, Mussina, and Hampton (Hampton to a far less extent, he’s more like gravy if he’s decent and he really wouldn’t have to be better than a #5 with the front four).
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 1:13 pm

CorShep:

He had a horrible September and a disgraceful October.

I didn’t say he was bad after the all-star break, I said he stopped throwing his Sinker…
comparatively speaking about Johan and his slider.

People say johan is hurt - what was his season ending numbers again? Sheesh, I would hate to see him healthy.

I was merely making the same asinine assumption against Wang that people are making about Santana.
# jennifer- Hip Hip Jorge January 31st, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Mussina will NOT accept a trade to Atlanta. His home is in Penn.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 1:17 pm

When did Cashman ever do anything good for the Yankees regards to pitching?

Stock the farm system as of the last 2 years.. good moves no doubt. Don’t act like it’s all Cashman’s doing when the Steinbrenners are throwing crazy money to sign prospects.

That is the only smart thing Cashman has done. To me he has made more mistakes regarding pitching than anything else.
# jennifer- Hip Hip Jorge January 31st, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Flea, signing Mike Mussina.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Old Goat:

“Fleas, you really are sounding like some spoiled brat kid who is throwing a temper tantrum because mommny won’t let you have that candy bar.”

Thanks for the attack and a sad attempt at belittling how strong I feel about how wrong this move was.

Sj44 did remind us of the fact that our offense was disturbing the last few post-seasons and that to me is a big part of why we did not move-up.

Undoubtably a key component in the Yankees success that has been missing for years is an Ace in the rotation, strong bullpen, and any sort of lefty pitching.
# Ed FL January 31st, 2008 at 1:33 pm

SJ,
it seems that GM Smith wanted to go back to the Winter Meetings situation. Do you know if Smith asked Theo for a new offer too? I doubt that he only wanted a new offer from The Yanks. Cashman pulls Hughes off the table but Theo does the same with Lester. Any chance Cash and Theo reached a gentleman agreement when they met in Boston a few days ago?
Anyway, Kennedy + Wang? No way.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 1:34 pm

REASONS why WE SHOULD have gotten Santana:

1) He is a great pitcher (possibly the best)
2) He Is a lefty, we need left handed pitching
3) We have not had a true Ace on our staff for years
4) When else will an Ace become available, a lefty ace (don’t say C.C please)
5) Last year in the epic Yankee Stadium
6) Leave Yankee Stadium With a World Series Victory (The only way it should be left)
7) Steinbrenner boys take over - makes a statement!
Cool Pitchers Best friend is a catcher — Jorge said WE NEED AN ACE — I trust his opinion
9) Santana in pinstipes brings a lot of revenue as does Arod
10) Don’t let the Mets get the backpage more often than the Yankees amidst new stadiums
11) Veteran Cy Young to school the new kids
12) We love watching strikeouts almost as much as HR’s - ask Joba -

REASONS WE DONT NEED SANTANA

1) Luxury Tax
2) players to give up

Anymore?

The above is based on facts, not speculation of injuries.
I left out Salaries because we make more money than any other team in baseball and the amount of money coming off the books next year. If it hurts you so much that I left out salary, feel free to add it..

3) salary

# S.o.S.27 January 31st, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Would anyone pull the trigger on a Kennedy plus low level prospect for Nathan? It seems like Minny is looking to rid themselves of him. If the rumors are true that Smith wanted Ian. Then he could save face by still getting him. As iv said before i think he might end up the most successful of the three. So the question is do we play to win now or do the un-yankee route and build for the future?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:33 pm

# jennifer- Hip Hip Jorge January 31st, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Joe is one year away from free agency, who is to say he’d be happy being a set up man.
# Mark January 31st, 2008 at 1:52 pm

Nathan has a no trade cleause and wants to be a closer, not a setup man.
# G. Love January 31st, 2008 at 1:53 pm

I wouldn’t have traded Wang, IPK and Melky for Johan.

The report Pete posted here from Klapisch was IPK, Melky and a minor leaguer. Even if it were 2 minor leaguers, I do this deal in a heartbeat.

I don’t care about the luxury tax. The reason we’re so screwed with the luxury tax is all the awful moves made by Cashman and George over the past few years.

The fans shouldn’t be punished for the organization spending on Igawa, Pavano, Farnsworth, etc.

I understand the Yankees don’t want to fund their competition through the luxury tax, but it just seems a little too convenient to all of sudden draw the line in the sand over arguably the best starter in the game under 30.

Especially, with the boatloads of money coming off the books after next season.

If the only deal was Wang, IPK and Melky then I understand passing.

But there also have been reports saying IPK, Melky and Minor leaguers was the deal the Yankees passed on.

Only Cashman and his bosses know that. If that was the case, he will be judged on this non move.

And if the Yanks trade IPK for some starter or reliever before the trade deadline, then this was a terrible non move by the Yanks.
# TurnTwo January 31st, 2008 at 1:55 pm

i havent read a single article that said the Twins are shopping Nathan. As a matter of fact, Nathan has come out publicaly to say he wants to stay with Minnesota as long as they offer him a fair deal.

i cant imagine Smith trading Nathan right now. if he moves him, it’ll be at the deadline, when youve got almost half the league still in the pennant races, and just about everyone looking for bullpen help down the stretch.
# Old Goat January 31st, 2008 at 1:55 pm

With your idea Fleas, there wouldn’t be any young kids left to have Santana work with, other than Joba.

There is no guarantee that the Yankees would win the World Series if we got Santana.

You left out flexiblity that would be lost by having so much salary tied up in two players. There is no guarantee that Abreu won’t be back, though I doubt it would be for as high a salary. Same with Pettitte, as he has seemed to state he would love to open the new stadium. There is no guarantee that having Santana added would mean an epic season, given that there is no guarantee he would remain healthy - just as every single player out there.
# S.o.S.27 January 31st, 2008 at 2:05 pm

TurnTwo
“The Twins focus is expected to shift to another pitcher — Joe Nathan. The Twins closer, who is set to be a free agent next fall, has already been the subject of trade rumors this offseason. The indications from some baseball insiders was that if the Twins traded Santana then Nathan likely would be the next to go.”

I think if he knew he would get to close some games. He would probably accept a trade. But theres always Street if that fails.
# Florida Yank January 31st, 2008 at 2:08 pm

The fate of Santana with the Twins was sealed from the Zito contract. It was a contract that would never interest the frugal Twins.
The next option was to find suitors which initially came down to 1-5 teams with the Twins knowing that pitting New York against Boston would be the ideal scenario of all in the grand scheme of things with Santana.
The Yankees did in fact offer the best deal available as many general managers will agree and once the Twins saw that they played their hand long enough, the Mets deal would do just fine. They struck a nice counterbalance knowing that Santana could hurt them if going to New York or Boston but not with the Mets.
Santana has told his now former manager and some teammates that he loved playing on the big stage of New York. He never did mention what team.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Old Goat:

“With your idea Fleas, there wouldn’t be any young kids left to have Santana work with, other than Joba.”

No young kids left? Are you kidding me? If we traded Kennedy, Cabrera, +1 or 2 ..

You are seriously saying that there are not kids left had we done that?

Old Goat, c’mon we can disagree and I understand that people can get heated in disagreeing, but that just puts the whole debate of the top. It is quite a ridiculous statement.

G. Love:

I agree 100%.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Hey if the Twins took the Mets package for Santana maybe we can get away with trading them “Igawa and E. Rameriz”. Maybe even just their gloves…

You never know with a rookie like Bill Smith. THAT my friends and fellow readers was a hard-won lesson for all of us. Never trust a rookie GM.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Seriously, any of you that think we are better off without Santana..

I trust Jorge’s opinion over Cashmans, Steinbrenners, scouts .. anyones..

after all he has caught each one them and knows what potential each one has first-hand.

Pitchers Best friend is a catcher — Jorge said WE NEED AN ACE — I trust his opinion PERIOD.
# Bill January 31st, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Nice Toots and the Maytals reference Pete!
# Vince January 31st, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Credit Brian Cashman for enduring what he has in a job he loves doing and for the organization he’s doing it for.
It was George that was so mesmerized with Giambi that he had to have him. It was George that instructed Cashman to get Pavano and Wright after the ALCS free fall in 2004. It was George that instructed his GM to get Kevin Brown.
Once Cashman saw the stages of failing health with his owner, he made his case to go in a different direction to what it is today. He knew the two sons were not pleased with much of what the father wanted so now he knows where he stands.
# EYT January 31st, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Fleas, you are more annoying than randy l.

and jorge needs to shut his mouth and give this statement:

“there are three reasons we lost last year in the playoffs: My inability to block the plate from “wild” pitches that any other catcher gets, my brain cramp in not calling torre out to stop the game for joba, and me and my buddy jeter’s clutch hitting into double plays. I am just thankful to the yankees and the fans that they overlooked my defensive and offensive failures to sign me to a long term deal and keep me a yankee. i look forward to working with the great young staff we will have in 2008. thank you”

asking for an ace is unproffesional and not a leadership statement
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Vince:

Everyone talks so bad about George and how he ran the Yankees.. he has made some big mistakes true, but look what George Steinbrenner has done since he took over in the 70’s.
# Fleas January 31st, 2008 at 2:28 pm

On another note:

You think those Big names and deal like Giambi didn’t have a part in making the Yankees as popular and loved by so many as they are now?

Maybe the deal were bad.. but they still do have some value. Publicity is priceless. Just ask the Mets after next year about having Santana and the back-page all year.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:37 pm

Keith Law- Top 100 prospects of 2008

RANK

PLAYER

POS.

ORGANIZATION

#AGE

Evan Longoria

3B

Tampa Bay Rays
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Durham)

Evan Longoria is good at baseball.

He has very quick wrists and takes short paths to the ball no matter where it's pitched, resulting in lots of hard contact and a whole-field approach. He has plus power already and could grow into more, which would make him a consistent 30-plus home run hitter. He's a tough out who works the count and will foul pitches off to get to something he can drive, but will take his walks and should post on-base percentages in the low .400s.

On defense, he has had no trouble moving from his college position of shortstop and should be among the league's best defenders at third in 2008. He has good range in both directions, soft and sure hands, and a strong and accurate arm. He reads the ball well off the bat and adjusted quickly to the faster reaction times required at the hot corner.

If the player I've just described sounds more than a little like David Wright, you've got the idea. Longoria is three years younger than Wright today, and while he'll debut a year later than Wright did, he has a similar skill set and upside to the Mets' third baseman, who would have been my choice for National League MVP in 2007. Longoria is the favorite to start at third base on Opening Day for Tampa Bay, making him the favorite to win the AL's Rookie of the Year award in 2008.

Jay Bruce

RF

Cincinnati Reds
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Louisville)

Bruce is probably the top power-hitting prospect in the minors right now, unsurprising for a kid who was already well-developed physically at the time he was drafted. Bruce sets up very deep but generates excellent bat speed and is strong enough to drive balls out to all fields. He's played center field but is best suited for right, and has a plus arm to play there. Because of the deep load at the plate, he can overcommit on breaking stuff and can be beaten with hard stuff inside, and he's shown only moderate plate discipline in the minors. There's no reason he couldn't step in right now and win the Rookie of the Year Award in the NL if he's given an everyday job.

Joba Chamberlain

RHP

New York Yankees
TOP '07 LEVEL: Majors

You may have heard of this fellow. Best known to big league fans as a dominant setup guy, Chamberlain is best cast as a four-pitch starter who projects as a true No. 1 starter. He has a four-pitch repertoire where all pitches project as average or better: a plus 94-98 mph four-seamer, a toxic 83-87 mph slider with good tilt and variable break, an 11/5 curveball with good depth, and a straight 81-84 mph changeup with good arm speed. The fastball and slider are already big league out pitches and in relief, he can probably get away without the other two pitches. Chamberlain has a great pitcher's build with broad shoulders and the height to get good downhill plane on his pitches, and his arm is quick. He's battled his weight in the past, leading to knee trouble, and he had bicep tendinitis in college that allowed him to fall to the Yankees in the supplemental round.

Clay Buchholz

RHP

Boston Red Sox

Buchholz didn't quite get the cult following of Joba, but made a name for himself by throwing a no-hitter in his second big league start. Buchholz is an unusual pitching prospect in that he already brings two plus secondary pitches to the table, including one of the best right-handed changeups in the game today, with good tumble and fading action, and he sells it well with perfect arm speed. If his changeup is a solid 70 on the 20-80 scale, his curve projects as no worse than a 60, with a sharp, accelerating downward break. His fastball is just average at 89-94, but he commands it well and gets good downhill plane from a high release point. He is a superb athlete who (so the story goes) outran Jacoby Ellsbury in the 60-yard dash when they were teammates at Lowell. And because he's quick to the plate, he should do well in controlling the running game.

Colby Rasmus

CF

St. Louis Cardinals
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Springfield)

Rasmus has been very quiet in his march toward the big leagues and up prospect lists. Rasmus comes from a baseball-mad family -- judging by the number of Rasmuses I've seen at some high school showcases, I believe he has about a bazillion brothers -- and has an outstanding feel for the game. His tools all project to plus; he has very quick hands and gets his bat started early, so his plate coverage (even inside) is excellent, and he should grow into plus power, especially to pull. He's a plus runner who gets from zero to full speed quickly, so he should be an asset on the bases capable of stealing 20-plus bags a year. His arm is plus and would be playable in right, but he's adapting well to center field and only struggles now with balls hit over his head, something that should improve in time. Cardinal fans may have been disappointed to see Jim Edmonds go, but they'll love his replacement.

Clayton Kershaw

LHP

Los Angeles Dodgers
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Jacksonville)

Kershaw has about as good an arm as you're likely to see on a young left-hander. His arm works extremely well, with little effort and quick movement through his delivery. His stuff is outstanding, a plus-plus fastball at 93-96 with good downhill plane and a two-plane hammer curve in the mid-70s that must cause left-handed hitters to strain their obliques as they try to hold up. He has a changeup with good fading action, but doesn't sell it well enough and right-handers can sit on it a little bit, although he can improve that with experience. The Dodgers promoted fellow pitching prospect Scott Elbert aggressively and worked him hard in 2006, and he responded with a shoulder injury that required surgery in May. They worked Kershaw less hard -- he faced 93 fewer hitters than Elbert did -- but still pushed him to AA before he was ready, and 19-20-year-old pitchers do get hurt. That's the only thing likely to stop him from becoming a top-of-the-rotation starter.

Travis Snider

RF

Toronto Blue Jays
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Lansing)

The word on Snider out of high school from his detractors was that he was stiff, slow, a little heavy, had bad knees and so on. The word on him now is that he can flat-out hit, and his detractors have shut their mouths for the time being. Snider sets himself up well to hit for average and power, with a low load, a simple swing and a very short path to the ball. He's got some loft to his swing to drive balls out, with plus power already, but will shorten up to go the other way on offspeed stuff. He's a solid-average runner and has at least a 60 arm in right field. He has a good idea at the plate, and his contact rate should improve as he develops. This was a steal of a pick at No. 14 in '06; among hitters, only Longoria (No. 3 selection) looks better right now.

Franklin Morales

LHP

Colorado Rockies

The Rockies have done well in Latin America over the past five or six years, remedying the franchise's decision to skimp on that area in the first decade of its existence. Morales is the best product so far, a potential No. 1 starter with two plus pitches and a delivery that shows the ball to hitters late. His fastball is plus at 93-95, and he'll run it in hard on hitters on both sides of the plate. His curve has a big two-plane break with very good depth, making him deadly against left-handed hitters. He has some areas on which he needs to work; his command and control are both below average, and the way he rushes his arm through his delivery (providing some of the deception) may limit how good his command can become. His changeup is just a show-me pitch at the moment as well.

Homer Bailey

RHP

Cincinnati Reds

Bailey didn't take the same step forward in 2007 as some of the other top pitching prospects in the game, but it's too early to jump off the bandwagon. What Buchholz and Chamberlain did is the exception, not the rule, when it comes to pitchers without much pro experience; look at Chad Billingsley's first go-round in the majors and the improvement he showed in his second year in 2007. Bailey was in the big leagues a bit too soon, then suffered a groin injury that prevented his return until September. His stuff remains outstanding: a 93-97 mph fastball and a power curveball with a sharp downward break. His changeup remains a show-me pitch, but the real obstacle for him is fastball command, and there are no mechanical reasons why his command won't eventually be above-average, at which point he'll give the Reds the true No. 1 starter they've been looking for.

Fernando Martinez

OF

New York Mets
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Binghamton)

It's been fashionable this offseason for some writers to bash the Mets' top prospects, mostly vis-à-vis the Johan Santana trade talks, but this criticism has been way overblown. Martinez's 2007 performance doesn't impress on a quick look, but consider these facts: He played the entire season at age 18 in AA; and he was hitting .309/.372/.409 as late as May 25 before the effects of a contusion on his left hand ruined what remained of his season. He was shut down on June 23 and missed the rest of the year. Martinez shows huge raw power in BP that will make its way into his game performances, and he has a solid approach with good pitch recognition for someone so young. He has good range in center and a plus arm if he outgrows center field and has to move to right. To put his development in more perspective, if he'd played a full year at AA and hit .290/.360/.410 or so, he would have been on pace to debut in the big leagues at 19 or 20 and be a big league regular before he turned 21. He's going to be a star, but everyone has to bear in mind how young he is to keep his performance in perspective.

Desmond Jennings

OF

Tampa Bay Rays
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Columbus)

Cleveland actually had Jennings under control after taking him in the 2005 draft, but made little effort to sign him, so he went back into the pool in 2006. The Rays took him in the 10th round and signed him for just $150,000, less than any other U.S.-born player in the top 40 prospects here. Jennings is a burner with 70 speed on the 20-80 scale, and he has quick wrists and a short stroke that let him generate line drives to all fields. His defense in center is still a work in progress, as he uses his raw speed to make up for late jumps on balls away from his starting position. The biggest question on Jennings' upside is his power, but as he matures and gains strength, his swing should be enough for 20-plus homers a year, with more if he can learn to extend his arms on pitches out over the plate.

Andrew McCutchen

CF

Pittsburgh Pirates
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Indianapolis)

McCutchen started off horribly in AA this year, but finally turned his season around in his last 40-odd games there, hitting .307/.382/.460 from July 1 until a mid-August promotion to AAA. McCutchen has incredibly quick wrists that give him tremendous plate coverage and result in a lot of hard, line-drive contact, as well as flashes of raw power. The player-development fiasco in the Pirates' minor league system under Dave Littlefield has hurt McCutchen, however, as he doesn't use his lower half and get his weight transferred with his swing, so all his power now is in his wrists and forearms; once he gets his whole body involved, he should have 30-plus homer power. He's a 65-70 runner with good baserunning instincts, and he plays a plus center field. Take heart, Pirate fans: Nyjer Morgan's goofy routes have only a year or so left in Pittsburgh's center field.

Cameron Maybin

OF

Florida Marlins

The big league callup was a mistake, obviously, but as long as there's no long-term harm done from the time he spent in Detroit, he still has the same huge upside that had him at No. 15 last year. Maybin already shows plus power in games, and the ball really flies off his bat. But his swing is long and gets out of control, and he glides through it at times, leaving him swinging off his front foot and generating less than maximum power. He crushes fastballs, but needs to improve his recognition of and adjustment to offspeed stuff. Even if his contact issues don't go away, he's a plus glove in center with a strong arm and 30-plus homer potential, which would make him an above-average regular with star potential if he can stay back at the plate and do a better job of recognizing offspeed pitches.

Matt Wieters

C

Baltimore Orioles
TOP '07 LEVEL: College (Ga. Tech)

The best prospect in the 2007 draft fell to the fifth team picking due to his bonus demands, giving the Orioles the best prospect they've had since Erik Bedard came out of the system in 2003. Wieters is a tall, wiry-strong, switch-hitting catcher who sprays the field with line drives and shows plus power from the left side. He has a plus arm behind the plate and was 92-94 off the mound as a reliever at Georgia Tech, but needs to refine his receiving skills. The biggest long-term concern with Wieters is his size: He's 6-foot-5, which means there's a lot of pressure on his knees when he squats. The history of catchers his height is filled with players who moved off the position or who suffered leg and knee injuries, including the best all-around catcher in the majors today, Joe Mauer. If Wieters can buck history and stay behind the plate, he'll be rivaling Mauer for that title in just a few years.

Wade Davis

RHP

Tampa Bay Rays
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Montgomery)

The Rays have an embarrassment of pitching riches, with Davis at the head of the class. He projects as a potential No. 1 starter with some improvement in his command and his worst secondary pitch, his changeup. Davis already has three plus pitches in his repertoire: a 92-95 mph fastball with late life up in the zone, a hard-breaking 12-to-6 curveball near 80 mph, and a sharp two-plane slider at 84-87 mph. He shows some feel for the change, but it's inconsistent, and he uses his slider as his main out pitch against lefties. There are some minor mechanical issues for Davis to work on, including maintaining a consistent release point and staying on top of the ball, but nothing major that points to injury or command woes. Davis has a large frame without much projection, but who needs to project on stuff like this?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:37 pm

David Price

LHP

Tampa Bay Rays
TOP '07 LEVEL: College (Vanderbilt)

As I said above, the Rays are stacked with top-flight arms in their system. Price, the No. 1 overall pick in 2007 and my No. 2 prospect heading into the draft, is coming off a dominant spring season for Vanderbilt where he struck out over 36 percent of the batters he faced. He has top-of-the-rotation stuff, including a plus fastball, best at 89-93 mph but flashing 94-95 with reduced command; a late-breaking upper 70s slider with a short break and good tilt; and an 81-85 mph changeup that comes in late down and in to righties. He pitches to both sides of the plate, really trusts all three of his pitches and works in the lower half of the zone. His delivery isn't clean, with some effort to get his arm around his body and a little bit of a head-jerk, but nothing likely to hold down his performances. He could debut as early as this summer and should be big league-ready no later than mid-2009.

Josh Vitters

3B

Chicago Cubs
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Boise)

Vitters was the top prep hitter in the 2007 draft and could easily have gone first or second overall. He's an offensive third baseman with a simple, direct swing and plus-plus bat speed, making lots of contact and hitting everything hard to all fields. He already shows good raw power to pull and will drive balls out the other way as he adds experience and muscle. At third base, he's rough, but has enough athletic ability to be at least average at the position, and he has plenty of arm strength for the position. He's a star and he should move quickly for a high school product.

Carlos Triunfel

SS

Seattle Mariners
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (High Desert)

Triunfel was born in February of 1990, yet finished the year hitting for average (.288/.333/.356) in high-A, usually the starting point for 21- and 22-year-old college products in their first full seasons. A minor league hitter who makes a lot of contact and hits for average against pitchers three or four years his senior is marked for stardom, and Triunfel's physical tools bear that out. He has a very quick bat, mostly in his wrists, and a strong build with a thicker lower half than you typically see in teenaged infielders. He also has a laser of an arm. There's some question over whether he'll stay at short, but he's built a bit like Miguel Tejada, who's spent over 10 years at the position in the majors and was a plus glove at his peak. There's a risk the Mariners will rush Triunfel -- they rush everyone else, so why not? -- but if they let his bat determine his development pace, they have a potential star on their hands.

Jacoby Ellsbury

CF

Boston Red Sox

It'll be hard for Ellsbury to top his 2007 big league performance, capped off with a world championship and plenty of pink "ELLSBURY" T-shirts spotted around town, and there's a logjam in the Boston outfield right now that will hold his playing time down, barring a trade. Ellsbury's calling card is his defense, with Gold Glove potential -- as in deserving one, since the winners of that award aren't always the most deserving candidates -- and the raw speed to help him play the difficult center field in Fenway. That speed, coupled with good baserunning instincts, makes him a threat to steal 40-plus bags per year at a high success rate, which is a must in the Red Sox's stat-savvy system. At the plate, Ellsbury has a quick, slashing stroke, generating line drives and using the whole field, limiting his potential home run peak to 10-15. He also has excellent plate discipline, making him an ideal leadoff hitter regardless of your school of thought on what a good leadoff hitter should be. There's no wonder he's coveted by other teams when the Sox come calling for established stars.

Angel Villalona

3B

San Francisco Giants
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Salem-Keizer)

The Giants of the early 2000s were notorious for skimping on amateur signing bonuses, giving away first-round picks and doing little in Latin America. So when they paid over $2 million to sign Villalona just days after his 16th birthday in August of 2006, not only was it a surprise, it was a signal that the organization was committing to acquiring top-flight amateur talent. Signing Villalona was tantamount to getting an extra top-10 pick in the amateur draft -- perhaps better, since he could be in the organization for what would have been his senior year had he been an American-born prospect. Villalona himself is very physically developed, with an early-20s build even before he turned 16; while this will probably force him over to first base, it does provide for significant power potential. He has a quick bat and a fluid swing, and has shown the ability to use the whole field. He's a long way off and has only played five games above rookie ball, but the physical promise here -- a middle-of-the-order bat with a 40-plus homer ceiling -- is tremendous.

Jose Tabata

RF

New York Yankees
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Tampa)

Tabata was in the top 10 last year, but a nagging hamate injury ended his 2007 season early, requiring surgery in August. Tabata has a quick bat and great hand-eye coordination, and he squares up balls as well as anyone on this list. He also has good pitch recognition, although that can manifest itself in working the count to get to a fastball he can drive. His raw power hasn't shown up in games, which could be explained by the hamate injury; hand and wrist injuries sap power, and full recovery from a broken hamate bone can take up to a year. Tabata can play center but has been bumped to right field by fellow Yankee prospect Austin Jackson (No. 24), and Tabata should be plus there with an above-average arm. He'd rank higher if the hamate problem was fully behind him, but until that becomes clear, there's still some risk here.

Rick Porcello

RHP

Detroit Tigers
TOP '07 LEVEL: H.S. (New Jersey)

The top prep pitcher in the 2007 draft, Porcello has outstanding stuff and just looks the part of a big league ace. Porcello is already sitting at 92-94 mph and will touch 97 a few times an outing with two curveballs, both 12-to-6, one a late-breaker near 80 mph and the other a slower version in the upper 60s. His changeup shows promise; he turns the pitch over well, but slows his arm enough for hitters to notice. He has a very quick arm and a projectable frame, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him sitting at 95-plus mph in a few years, working his way toward the top of the Tigers' rotation.

Nick Adenhart

RHP

Los Angeles Angels
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Arkansas)

Adenhart was a first-round talent until he blew out his elbow during his senior spring in high school, but got first-round money from the Angels and has become their best prospect and a potential No. 2 starter. Adenhart's best attributes are his command and his feel for pitching, both of which are already plus, but that doesn't mean his stuff isn't strong. His fastball is solid-average at 90-93 mph, flashing better than that, and his curve already grades out as plus, with an almost 12-to-6 break that has just a little tilt to it. His changeup projects as above-average as well, with a late downward action and good arm speed. He can drop his arm slot slightly at times, causing his stuff to flatten out, and he lands just a little hard with his front foot. The Angels have moved him aggressively, so his indicators haven't matched his stuff, but he's just two years or so off from contributing to a big league rotation.

Austin Jackson

CF

New York Yankees
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Tampa)

Jackson is my favorite kind of hitting prospect -- the athlete with a clue. Jackson was a top basketball prospect in high school, but the Yankees flexed their financial muscles and gave him first-round money in the eighth round, a move that looks brilliant in hindsight because of how advanced Jackson is for a multi-sport prospect. Jackson has good speed, a solid-average arm in center and good instincts on fly balls, but still has some work to do at the plate. His setup is excellent and his path to the ball is short, but he needs to continue working on keeping his weight back to get more power from the contact he makes, and he's too eager to chase the ball up. He's a potential middle-of-the-order bat because of his power and improving plate discipline.

Andy LaRoche

3B
Los Angeles Dodgers

Big league teams can do funny things. The Dodgers liked LaRoche enough to give him a seven-figure bonus after taking him as a summer follow in the 39th round in 2003. They moved him up aggressively, gave him a shot at the big league job and decided a month later that he couldn't hit, instead accepting mediocre production from known quantities until they started to fall out of the playoff race in September. Now, after several abortive attempts to acquire a third baseman, the Dodgers are going to give LaRoche a chance to "win" the job over Nomar Garciaparra (who can't field a lick at third and isn't much with the bat) in spring training. Here's the scoop: LaRoche can, in fact, hit, and he'll hit for average with excellent on-base percentages, with middle-of-the-road power. He can play third, but doesn't project as a plus glove. He should be handed the everyday job right now.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:38 pm

RANK

PLAYER

POS.

ORGANIZATION

#AGE

Jake McGee

LHP

Tampa Bay Rays

McGee is not as polished or advanced as teammate Wade Davis, but he is not far behind in reality or in the rankings. At the moment, his only plus pitch is his fastball, 92-96 mph (a 60 on the scouting scale) and coming out of his hand late to left-handed hitters. He still has some room to fill out, and it wouldn't be shocking to see him sitting at 95 mph in a few years. His curve and change both are below average, so while he has blown away hitters with his fastball to date, that's not going to continue to work in Double-A or Triple-A. He holds his velocity deep into games, so he projects as a starter down the road, but he won't get there as quickly as Davis or David Price.

Jordan Schafer

CF

Atlanta Braves
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Myrtle Beach)

Schafer isn't Grady Sizemore, but not many players are. He is an excellent athlete and has the strength in his arms to hit for average and power, but he has some mechanical issues. His load at the plate is a little too deep, and he doesn't have the bat speed to overcome it, so he commits early and often ends up way out in front. He also gets too pull-conscious in games, despite showing a good whole-field approach in batting practice. On the plus side, the ball comes off his bat well, and if he can shorten up his swing, he should see improvement in his contact and long-term in his power output. He plays a strong center field with an above-average arm. I don't project him as a top-shelf center fielder right now, but he is ranked this high because he has the physical tools to become one with some work on his swing.

Lars Anderson

1B

Boston Red Sox
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Lancaster)

The Sox ponied up for Anderson late in the 2006 draft, and he already is a better prospect than either of their first-round picks from that year. He is a left-handed hitter who projects to hit for average and power with great OBPs. His plate discipline and pitch recognition are outstanding for a prospect of any age, much less a soon-to-be 20-year-old in high Class A ball. He has a simple swing and takes a direct path to the ball, so he can let it travel and use the entire field. He shows plus raw power in batting practice, and he has room to fill out and become a 30-plus home run hitter once he changes his approach to pull balls middle-in, but that might not come for another year or two. He also is a good defensive first baseman and a fringe-average runner. A big year at Double-A would push him up to the top 10 for next offseason.

Adam Miller

RHP

Cleveland Indians
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Buffalo)

Miller is a potential No. 1 starter if he can keep his arm attached at all its various joints. Last year, he strained a flexor tendon in his finger and then had a sore elbow, limiting him to just 65 innings in the regular season and 13 unsuccessful innings in the Arizona Fall League. He also has had shoulder trouble in the past. When healthy, Miller has a four-seamer that sits in the mid-90s and a two-seamer in the low 90s, and he holds his velocity through 90-100 pitches. His slider already is a big league out pitch, up to 88 mph with a hard, late break, and his command has been good in the past. That No. 1 starter is somewhere under the medical dossier, screaming to get out.

Johnny Cueto

RHP

Cincinnati Reds
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Louisville)

Cueto doesn't get the hype of Homer Bailey because he doesn't have the same big pitcher's build, but his stuff is almost as good as Bailey's, and he might be more advanced as a pitcher. Cueto is small and squatty but strong, and he has a smooth, easy arm action that produces fastballs anywhere from 91 to 96 mph with good life up in the zone. His changeup is his best secondary pitch, with good sink and tail and excellent arm speed, while his slider flashes plus with a hard tilt but still is inconsistent. He works quickly and aggressively but does not yet have the command to succeed in the majors, especially since his fastball is somewhat true and he could be homer-prone if he doesn't work on the margins of the strike zone. If his command doesn't improve, he will be a potentially dominant closer down the road, but he also could end up a solid No. 2 starter.

Elvis Andrus

SS

Texas Rangers

Atlanta pushed Andrus very aggressively while he was in its system, moving him to high Class A ball at an age when most prospects are still in short-season ball. His baseball skills are slowly catching up to his tremendous athletic ability, and if Texas manages him carefully, the Rangers have a potential star on their hands. Andrus has a very easy, almost effortless swing, and the ball flies off his bat. He has an advanced approach for such a young hitter, working the count, making the pitcher throw strikes and using the entire field. There is average power to come, and he is a plus runner who needs some work reading pitchers. He is an excellent defensive shortstop with quick reactions and good range in both directions, as well as a strong and accurate arm. He should be hitting at or near the top of the Rangers' order by 2011.

Geovany Soto

C

Chicago Cubs

It might not have made any difference in the playoffs, but the Cubs would have clinched their division a few days sooner had they handed Soto the catcher's job after they shipped Michael Barrett (parcel post, no less) to San Diego. Instead, they gave the remains of Jason Kendall the job, costing themselves on offense and defense. Soto has plus raw power, keeping his weight back extremely well, and he has the upper-body strength to take pitches middle-out and pull them out to left-center. He can get too pull-happy, but he has shown the ability to shorten up and go the other way, and his pitch recognition is solid. He has a strong arm and average receiving skills. There was no justification for playing Kendall over Soto, and now Soto's path is clear to play every day and make a run at the NL rookie of the year award.

Jason Heyward

CF/RF

Atlanta Braves
TOP '07 LEVEL: Rookie (Danville)

Atlanta loves to take local high school products in the draft, but the Braves had no business getting Heyward, a top-10 talent, at No. 14. He is a strong 6-foot-4 outfielder with room to add even more strength, and he has a solid approach and huge power in his future. He is a good athlete who projects as a plus right fielder with a strong arm, but Atlanta should consider giving him one full year in center before moving him. He has good plate coverage, especially down, but because he sets up with the bat out from his body, he has to work on covering the ball in. Don't be surprised if he goes all Jay Bruce on the minors over the next two years.

Brandon Wood

3B

Los Angeles Angels

Wood's star is steadily dimming as his numbers drop and the strikeouts mount. What we know for certain about Wood is he has raw power, projecting as a 70 on the 20-80 scale; he has excellent bat speed and accelerates through the ball with good extension, producing huge pull power. On the other hand, his aggressiveness at the plate and a tendency to fly open with his front shoulder (thus getting him under the ball too much) have led to declining averages and OBPs as he has moved up the system, and those weaknesses will only be further exploited in the majors. He also needs to improve his two-strike approach and learn to use the whole field. On defense, he has soft, quick hands and good footwork with a plus arm; he should be a well-above-average defender at third, and it's not out of the question that he could play short, although he probably will outgrow the position.

Carlos Gomez

OF

Minnesota Twins

Gomez can fly and will be one of the fastest players in the majors once he is there for good. The rest of his game needs work, as his substantial tools don't translate into immediate major league success. He has a very quick bat but relies on his wrists and hands, hitting off his front foot too often and never getting his weight back to drive balls, so he makes contact but right now doesn't project to hit for power. In the field, he is more advanced, running down balls in all directions in center field and showing a 60-65 arm on the 20-80 scale. He missed most of the second half of the 2007 season due to a broken hamate bone in his hand, an injury that can linger into the following season, so his short-term projection isn't bright, but he has star potential if he is given time and instruction.

Jarrod Parker

RHP

Arizona Diamondbacks
TOP '07 LEVEL: H.S. (Indiana)

Parker offered the best package of any high school pitcher in this draft. A 6-foot right-hander from rural Indiana, he sports a 92-97 mph fastball and a hard 83-86 mph slider with outstanding tilt. He worked primarily as a two-pitch pitcher in high school, but he has an average changeup with decent fading action and flashes a curveball with good depth, giving reason to believe he will have a repertoire at least three pitches deep in the majors. He has a very quick arm and a clean delivery, and his only problem is his height, or lack thereof, which means he struggles to work down with his fastball and can get under his slider at times. Of course, Roy Oswalt is shorter than Parker, and he has done all right for himself, so there's plenty of cause for optimism in Arizona.

Matt LaPorta

LF/1B

Milwaukee Brewers
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (West Virginia)

LaPorta had more raw power than any other bat in the 2007 draft, so despite his other limitations, Milwaukee took him with the seventh overall pick. The Brewers sent him to the Sally League, where he smoked 10 homers in just 102 plate appearances. LaPorta has light-tower pull power, getting good extension through the ball, but he can get too pull-conscious and roll over on soft stuff away. He projects as a classic "three true outcomes" player -- drawing walks, hitting homers and striking out often -- but not as someone who will hit for a great average. The Brewers talked about LaPorta as a left fielder, but his future is at first base, where he should be an above-average defender.

Daric Barton

1B

Oakland A's

People who didn't read or didn't understand Moneyball would refer to Barton as a Moneyball player, because he gets on base and isn't a great athlete. He was a first-round pick by St. Louis, which traded him to Oakland in the Mark Mulder deal, so it's hard to argue that the market undervalued his skills (which was the real point of the book). Now, Barton would be highly coveted by a number of clubs because he is big league ready and has a very advanced approach at the plate. The question is his power, which projects in only the 15-20 homer range, light for a first baseman. That increases the pressure on Barton to put up OBPs in the low .400s to provide sufficient offensive value. He has a good enough eye and good enough plate coverage to do it.

Nolan Reimold

OF

Baltimore Orioles
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Bowie)

Reimold's biggest problem as a pro has been staying on the field. He suffered foot and back injuries tied to weightlifting in 2006, then missed half of 2007 with a strained oblique. When he has been on the field and at full strength, however, he has hit for average and power and shown good patience. He has a simple swing and stays back well on the ball, hitting hard line drives to all fields. He doesn't have huge raw power like Matt LaPorta, but he should hit 20-plus homers consistently because he makes so much hard contact and has good loft in his swing. He has plenty of range to be plus in left or right field and has an average arm. He should be an above-average regular in the majors, posting consistently strong OBPs.

Taylor Teagarden

C

Texas Rangers
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Frisco)

Teagarden was drafted out of the University of Texas as a plus defensive catcher who might hit a little. He blew out his elbow after signing and required Tommy John surgery, but he has developed into a better offensive player than the Rangers could have hoped for. He has a strong base at the plate and centers the ball extremely well, peppering the middle of the field with line drives, staying back well on breaking balls and showing a good two-strike approach. His main remaining question mark is his arm, which finally showed signs of a full recovery in Arizona. It's not a swing or hitting plan that is going to produce more than doubles power, but a catcher who works the count, hits lots of singles and doubles, and has a plus arm and good receiving skills will be one of the top 10, maybe top five, catchers in the game.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:39 pm

RRANK

PLAYER

POS.

ORGANIZATION

#AGE

Ross Detwiler

LHP

Washington Nationals
TOP '07 LEVEL: *Majors

Detwiler is a polished lefty from Missouri State who should move quickly through the Nats' system, although the Nationals' decision to recall him in September was a bit enthusiastic (and shortsighted, since it put him on the 40-man roster sooner than necessary). Detwiler is tall and thin, but has broad shoulders and should be durable despite concerns about his slight build at the moment. His fastball is already above average at 90-94 and flashes plus, and his slider projects as an out pitch if he can stay on top of it consistently, giving it a sharp, late bite. He has a solid-average changeup with good arm speed to fill out his repertoire, as well as a show-me curve. He's a strike thrower with good feel, so while his ceiling is limited to mid-rotation duty, he's a high-probability prospect who should be in Washington's rotation soon.

James McDonald

RHP

Los Angeles Dodgers
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Jacksonville)

McDonald signed as a pitcher as a draft-and-follow prospect, hurt his arm, moved to the outfield, hurt his coaches by not hitting a lick and moved back to the mound, where he's hurt opposing hitters by racking up K's like there might be a run on the strikeout banks. McDonald is Clay Buchholz Lite: average fastball or slightly below, above-average curve and changeup, good control and feel for pitching. His curve gets swings and misses in the minors, but it's a bit of a slow roller and he'll have to use it more sparingly in the big leagues unless he can tighten its rotation.

Carlos Carrasco

RHP

Philadelphia Phillies
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Reading)

The Phillies' system is not strong, and Carrasco is the one legitimate above-average prospect in it at the moment. Carrasco's best attribute is his easy velocity, mostly 90-94 and touching 95 at times, with fringe-average command. His secondary stuff is a work in progress, with his short downer curveball ahead of his changeup, on which he slows his arm too much. Because his arm works well, it's possible to project him as someone who'll have three average pitches down the road, and he might pick up a few more miles an hour as he fills out or if he lengthens his stride a bit, all of which would make him a solid No. 3 starter in the majors.

Matt Dominguez

3B

Florida Marlins
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Jamestown)

Dominguez is a solid offensive and defensive infielder with a chance to be a star in both aspects of the game. He's somewhat raw for a California product, but has a quick bat and good straightaway raw power. He tends to drift through his swing rather than gathering his weight and powering through the ball, something that can be fixed through instruction. At third, he has a plus arm and reads the ball well off the bat, and he projects as a Gold Glove-caliber defender down the road.

Jed Lowrie

SS/2B

Boston Red Sox
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Pawtucket)

Lowrie has transformed himself since his time as a second baseman at Stanford, where he put up excellent offensive stats with an extreme metal-bat swing and was below-average defensively. Now he's a capable hitter from both sides of the plate with a real (that means wood) bat, and he's good enough defensively to handle shortstop every day in the majors. Lowrie centers the ball extremely well -- the one thing that has carried over from college -- and takes a short path to the ball. He shows more strength in his swing from the right side, but his left-handed swing is very compact with good extension at the end, and he should be a legitimate switch-hitter in the majors. On defense, his range should be adequate at short, and his transfer on the double play is lightning-quick. He could step in right now and play short (or second) for a number of big league clubs, and he has to be putting pressure on the Sox to think about moving Julio Lugo.

Joey Votto

1B

Cincinnati Reds

Votto is similar to the player he'll eventually replace in Cincinnati, Scott Hatteberg, but with a bit more power. Votto's calling card is his plate discipline, as he's drawn at least 69 unintentional walks in four of his five full seasons in the pros. He has a max-effort swing that produces average to slightly above-average power, and while he stays back well on the ball, he has a hard time changing his swing once he's committed to a pitch. He's average defensively at first but looked somewhat Ryan Klesko-esque in a trial in left field last year.

Fautino
de los Santos

RHP

Oakland A's
TOP '07 LEVEL:
A (Winston-Salem)

De los Santos was the potential star among the three players the A's received from the White Sox for Nick Swisher. He's a two-pitch pitcher with a 91-95 mph fastball with some late life and a hard breaking ball with a sharp 11-to-5 break. His command is below average, and he has a tendency to leave his front shoulder open, especially when throwing the breaking ball, and he doesn't have a solid third pitch. At worst, he projects as a power two-pitch reliever in a set-up or closer role, but he has a chance to mature into a top-of-the-rotation starter.

Justin Masterson

RHP

Boston Red Sox
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Portland)

Masterson has worked primarily as a starter in college and in the minors, but his future is in the bullpen. He's a two-pitch pitcher who comes from a low three-quarter slot, generating plus sink on a fastball that's 85-89 mph when he's pitching in the rotation but has been comfortably in the low 90s when he's relieved in the past. He has a tight low-80s slider with a short and very sharp break that gives him his best chance to miss bats. His changeup is well below average, and it's hard to turn a pitch like that over from his arm slot; as a result, lefties have hit him increasingly hard as he's moved up the ladder. He should appear in the Red Sox's pen this year.

Tim Alderson

RHP

San Francisco Giants
TOP '07 LEVEL: Rookie (Ariz.)

Alderson's an odd bird, working from the stretch even with no one on base. His fastball is already solid-average at 90-94 mph, with more velocity to come down the road. He pounds the strike zone and shows good command. His best secondary pitch is a hard curveball with tight rotation and a late two-plane break, while his changeup is a ways off. Alderson comes at hitters from a low three-quarter slot, and his arm is very quick, so the ball pops out of his hand and gets in on hitters quickly. He has some minor mechanical issues that will require work, including a slightly stiff front leg and a tendency to throw across his body to get deep to his glove side, but nothing that would prevent him from becoming a No. 2 or 3 starter in the majors.

Eric Hurley

RHP

Texas Rangers
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Okla. City)

Hurley projects more as a two-pitch reliever than as a starter in the big leagues, although the Rangers will probably give him a shot in the rotation before they force a conversion. He has a fastball just above average, 91-94, touching 95, and a power slider with good tilt and depth. His delivery leaves a lot to be desired, as there's a fair amount of effort required and he doesn't get his lower half involved, and he has yet to develop an adequate third pitch to get lefties out consistently. He also has a tendency to get under the ball, which will lead to a lot of home runs in Arlington. The arm is live, he throws strikes and he works well to both sides of the plate, so he's going to have success in some role, but he'll need at least a third pitch to earn a spot in the rotation.

J.R. Towles

C

Houston Astros

Towles has had little trouble hitting for average throughout his pro career, but it will be interesting to see what he does when consistently facing big league pitching. Towles sets up with a big, deep load and almost locks his lead elbow; as a result, his plate coverage isn't great and he struggles to reach the ball down, getting very long with an exaggerated finish just to reach balls in the lower third of the zone. He's a dead-pull hitter, which is a good thing for a right-handed bat in Houston's ballpark, but he'll have to show he can adjust to the ball away as well as down. His arm is fringe-average and he's an adequate plate blocker, but isn't plus in any aspect of his defense. Given his performance history, he should be at least an everyday catcher in the majors, but he's not a star and may settle in as a barely average regular.

Nick Weglarz

LF

Cleveland Indians
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Kinston)

Weglarz is still young and a good three or four years off, but he's showing signs of developing into a middle-of-the-order bat. Weglarz has a patient approach and works to get to a pitch he can drive, either to pull or hit to the opposite field. He has quick wrists and centers balls well, and generates some power through the natural loft in his swing, but needs to work on powering through the ball rather than striding first and then connecting. In left field he's a work in progress and may end up at first base, where developing that home run power will be more critical.

Brett Cecil

LHP

Toronto Blue Jays
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Auburn)

Cecil is one of the best pure-closer prospects in the minors, although it's not out of the question that Toronto could try to convert him to the rotation. Cecil has two plus pitches already in a 91-94 mph fastball with good bore and a sharp, diving 83-86 mph slider, and his curveball has good depth and isn't far from average already. His arm action is a bit long, but it's fluid and he repeats his delivery well in relief. He made two starts for Maryland last spring, going over 140 pitches in his first one -- gotta love college coaches -- and he does have the size most teams want to see in a starter. If he stays in the pen, he should move quickly and could debut in the majors this year.

Chris Marrero

1B

Washington Nationals
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Potomac)

Marrero is a classic "stuck at first base" player -- can't play anywhere else and isn't a plus defender at first -- who will have to hit his way to the big leagues. His best tool is his power, both to pull and to the opposite field, but the rest of his game has holes. His bat is somewhat slow and his swing is long, making it questionable whether he'll be able to show power against better stuff in the high minors. His defense at first is adequate but won't be an asset. He's here because there's a good chance he hits 25-30 homers once he gets to the majors, but the rest of his skill set will keep him from being a star.

Felipe Paulino

RHP

Houston Astros

A converted infielder, Paulino has reportedly hit triple digits in the past, and he'd probably do so again as a reliever, which is his ultimate role. Working as a starter, Paulino has a 93-94 mph four-seamer that's true but has some late life, allowing him to miss some bats in the upper half of the zone. His potential out pitch is a hard 12-to-6 curve from 76 to 81 mph, with a sharp, late, downward break. It's not a consistent pitch for him, and when he relies on his four-seamer too heavily, hitters can sit on it, making him homer-prone. In relief, however, Paulino should see a tick up in velocity and be able to work more effectively without a third pitch.

Tommy Hanson

RHP

Atlanta Braves

Atlanta took Hanson out of Riverside Junior College in 2005, paying him over $300,000 to buy him out of a scholarship to Arizona State, and he's the best pitching prospect remaining in the Braves' system after the massive Mark Teixeira deal last summer. Hanson already runs his fastball up to 91-95 mph, but at a somewhat slight 6-foot-6, he still has projection left in his body. He also features an above-average curveball and an average change, while his stuff plays up because he has good deception in his delivery. His arm action is fluid and his command is improving. He's a few years off, although Atlanta has tended to promote pitchers quickly once they show that their command is good enough to handle the next level.

Aaron Poreda

LHP

Chicago White Sox
TOP '07 LEVEL:
Rookie (Great Falls)

Poreda is still a project, but he brings one undeniable tool to the table. Left-handers with plus velocity (93-97 consistently, with anecdotal reports of 98 plus) and excellent sink to generate ground balls are rare birds, making Poreda a very good value for a late first-round selection. His secondary stuff remains raw. He's messed around with a curveball and slider, with the latter showing more promise, and his low three-quarter arm slot has made it hard for him to master a changeup. He's big and can hold his velocity, but the White Sox should move him slowly to give him time to develop at least one -- preferably two -- average offspeed pitches so he can fulfill his promise as a No. 2 or 3 starter.

Kyle Blanks

1B

San Diego Padres
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Lake Elsinore)

The Padres have been light on power-hitting prospects for several years now, preferring polished college hitters in the draft who bring more probability to the table but less upside. They snagged Kyle Blanks in the 42nd round in 2004 out of high school, and he exploded this year into their second-best offensive prospect. Blanks is strong and athletic at 6-foot-6; while he's limited to first base, he's more than playable there, but his ticket to the majors is his bat. He has a simple swing with good loft and powers through the ball, keeping his hips in almost perfect sync with his hands for maximum impact. Blanks' zone is big and he can get long when trying to cover pitches down, similar to Richie Sexson, who would be a good comparison for Blanks if the latter can improve his patience.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:40 pm

Chris Davis

3B

Texas Rangers
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Frisco)

We're comfortably in one-big-skill territory in this section of the rankings, and Davis has -- you guessed it -- one big skill: raw power that grades out comfortably at 70 on the 20-80 scouting scale. Davis is extremely strong and powers balls out to right and right center with a pull-oriented approach. His plate discipline is weak and he's susceptible to even average offspeed stuff. His future at third is questionable, with a move to first the most likely outcome.

Ian Stewart

3B

Colorado Rockies

After his full-season debut Stewart looked like a No. 3 hitter with the potential to hit .300/.400/.550 when he reached his peak, but he's slid backward each year since, and now projects as more of a .280/.350/.440-type hitter who can contribute but isn't a star. Stewart has a lot of extra movement in his swing that limits his contact rate and robs him of some power before he reaches the ball, although he gets good extension when he squares a ball up. He's solid-average or better defensively at third and wouldn't be a drop-off in overall value from Garrett Atkins should the Rockies decide to trade their incumbent third baseman for other help.

Sean Gallagher

RHP

Chicago Cubs

Gallagher could step in as the fifth starter right now for most noncontending clubs, and has a good chance to end up a solid No. 4 in the majors. He works with a three-pitch mix: a 92-94 mph four-seamer that's a little too true, a tight 12-to-6 curve that gets swings and misses for him and a solid-average changeup with some fading action. His control is above average but his command is below, and despite having a quick arm there's some effort in his delivery that may hold his command back long term.

Fernando Perez

CF

Tampa Bay Rays

Perez has a heck of a story -- a high school soccer star and Columbia grad who had limited baseball experience when he signed, but who has shown very rapid improvement in some of the most difficult areas of the game, including pitch recognition (where he's already plus) and reading balls off the bat (still needs work, but getting better). Perez has a quick bat and something of an inside-out swing geared toward contact over power, and he's a 70 runner who still needs to learn the art of base stealing. Because he gets on base and can play a passable center field already, he projects as a solid leadoff guy, but despite his age there's a chance he could improve beyond that.

Mitch Boggs

RHP

St. Louis Cardinals

Boggs could pitch in the majors right now as a reliever, although the Cardinals have been developing him as a starter due to his durable frame and ability to hold his stuff through 90-plus pitches. Boggs has a plus pitch in his 93-96 mph fastball and a future-plus pitch in his sharp downer breaking ball at 82-84 mph. His fastball command, especially to his glove side, needs work and may just result from a little herky-jerky movement early in his delivery. More troubling is that for some reason he has struggled to miss bats despite his solid stuff, which would portend a move to the bullpen long term unless he finds a way to finish hitters off.

Henry Sosa

RHP

San Francisco Giants
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (San Jose)

Sosa has a live arm in a system that now has more than its share of live arms. He has a promising three-pitch mix, sitting at 92-94 and touching 97 on his fastball and sporting a power curveball in the mid-80s and a solid-average changeup with good arm speed. His control is poor and his feel for pitching is weak. He's too happy to try to overpower guys with heat rather than use his secondary stuff to put guys away. His delivery is odd with a dice-roller arm action and problems rushing his arm through, neither of which is conducive to good fastball command. He shouldn't move up quickly, but if he's given time he has a chance to be a No. 2 or 3 starter.

Jeremy Hellickson

RHP

Tampa Bay Rays
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Columbus)

Hellickson has outstanding command of a solid-average fastball at 90-94 mph, but lacks a plus secondary pitch to allow him to continue to rack up strikeouts at higher levels. He comes at hitters from a low three-quarter slot that makes the ball appear very late to right-handed hitters. Hellickson was effective against lefties in 2007, but he'll have to improve his changeup (which he turns over well but which comes in too hard) to keep that up at higher levels. His breaking ball is slurvy and inconsistent, but he will throw some with a sharper, two-plane break. Right-handers with good command of average fastballs pitch in the big leagues in the backs of rotations, so for Hellickson to be more than a No. 4 or 5 starter, he'll have to dial up one of those secondary pitches

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:41 pm

RANK

PLAYER

POS.

ORGANIZATION

#AGE

Josh Donaldson

C

Chicago Cubs
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Boise)

Donaldson's huge pro debut may be setting unrealistic expectations, but he could end up a steal at the 48th overall pick. Primarily a third baseman in college, he's playable already behind the plate with soft hands, good footwork and a solid-average arm. He centers balls well and has above-average raw power, but he tends to lunge for the ball too often instead of staying back.

Chris Nelson

SS

Colorado Rockies
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Modesto)

Nelson's career had been a disappointment before 2007 due to injuries and poor performance, but he re-established some value with a big year in the hitter-friendly California League. He does several things well but lacks a single outstanding tool; he should hit for some average and some power; he's an above-average runner but not a burner; he's adequate at short but not a Gold Glover. This doesn't affect his rating, but he is also hopelessly blocked in Colorado behind Troy Tulowitzki.

John Jaso

C

Tampa Bay Rays

If it was a certainty that Jaso could catch, he'd be in the top 40. He's a pull-oriented hitter with good power and a quick bat, although his swing gets long and he can hook balls slightly. He's fringy behind the plate in all aspects, including a below-average arm.

Jordan Walden

RHP

Los Angeles Angels
TOP '07 LEVEL: Rookie (Orem)

Walden was one of the last-ever draft-and-follows before the process was eliminated, receiving a seven-figure bonus in May of 2007. He has a plus fastball, pitching at 94-96 and running it up to 99 on occasion, with a slider that projects as an out pitch and excellent control. He'll be in big-league camp for the Angels in March.

Deolis Guerra

RHP

Minnesota Twins
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (St. Lucie)

Guerra is almost all projection, but there's a lot on which a scout can dream. His velocity is fringe-average, but he'll flash low 90s out of nowhere, and his curveball is inconsistent at best. He has a plus changeup with good fading action. But the appeal here is that he turns 19 in April and is very projectable, with the broad-shouldered frame we look for when forecasting velocity increases and durability. His probability is low, but there's a chance he'll be up in the top 20-30 in a year or two.

Max Scherzer

RHP

Arizona Diamondbacks
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Fort Worth)

Scherzer has a high-effort delivery with a fair amount of violence to it, and isn't going to have the command or the durability to work as a starter in the majors, so his future is as a two-pitch reliever. His fastball velocity varies, but he'll typically sit 90-92 mph with good sink and run, and his slider has a tight two-plane break and should be an out pitch when he's only going once through the order.

Gerardo Parra

CF

Arizona Diamondbacks
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Visalia)

Parra is still raw, but has the bat speed to survive in full-season ball as he learns other aspects of his game. He's very willing to take balls the other way, but doesn't project to have much pull power. He may not be able to stay in center, and his power and OBP don't profile in a corner.

Jordan Zimmerman

RHP

Washington Nationals
TOP '07 LEVEL:
College (Wisconsin-Stevens Point)

Zimmerman has a chance for four solid-average pitches and excellent control, projecting as a No. 3 starter if his command improves. He's very athletic and has a loose, fluid arm action, and wasn't worked as hard as most college pitchers due to a broken jaw in his final spring in school.

Casey Weathers

RHP

Colorado Rockies
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Modesto)

Weathers should move very quickly through the Rockies' system and could be setting up for Manny Corpas by the end of the year if the Rox decide to trade Brian Fuentes. Weathers goes right after hitters, working heavily off his 93-96 mph four-seamer, finishing off lefties with a straight change and righties with a late-breaking slider, throwing strikes with all three pitches.

Jaime Garcia

LHP

St. Louis Cardinals

When healthy, Garcia has a low-90s fastball with good sink and a near-12-to-6 curveball that could be an out pitch. However, he missed most of 2007 with a sprained ligament in his elbow, and while it hasn't required surgery yet, elbow injuries often end up with the pitcher on the operating table.

Chris Withrow

RHP

Los Angeles Dodgers
TOP '07 LEVEL: Rookie (GCL Dodgers)

Keep an eye on this one. Withrow pitched all spring with an average fastball (88-91 mph) and a fringe-average curve with good depth but an early break, but his velocity rose after his move to pro ball. He has some projection left and has a great delivery with a quick, explosive move toward the plate. And after the success of Chad Billingsley and Clayton Kershaw to date, the Dodgers get a little extra credit on first-round arms.

Hank Conger

C

Los Angeles Angels
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Cedar Rapids)

Conger has big power potential from both sides of the plate, uncoiling his body as he makes contact and getting good extension. His swing can get long and he'll need to show he can shorten up with two strikes. He has the tools to be a good receiver but will have to keep his body in shape, and has had both of his pro seasons marred by injuries.

Chris Volstad

RHP

Florida Marlins
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (Carolina)

Volstad looks the part, with an effortless delivery and great pitchers' frame, and he has an average fastball and a sharp-breaking curve. So why doesn't he strike more hitters out? There's so much potential here if he can find a way to finish hitters off.

Neil Walker

3B

Pittsburgh Pirates
TOP '07 LEVEL: AAA (Indianapolis)

Walker's plate discipline took a 180 for the better this year, to the point where he's now clearly going to play in the big leagues. He wears down every season even now that he's no longer a catcher, and his defense at third remains unacceptable, so he may end up a 'tweener who doesn't hit enough to play first and can't handle any tougher position on defense.

Josh Smoker

LHP

Washington Nationals
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Vermont)

Smoker is an aggressive lefty with solid-average velocity, projecting to plus, and outstanding sink. His curve has very tight rotation and a sharp two-plane break. He'll have to show he can command his stuff and hold his velocity deep into games.

Tyler Robertson

LHP

Minnesota Twins
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Beloit)

Robertson is 6-foot-5 and gets good downhill plane on his average fastball, with a slider that should be plus by the time he reaches the majors. He'll need to add some muscle to hold his velocity deeper into games, and his changeup is well below-average.

Cole Rohrbough

LHP

Atlanta Braves
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Rome)

Another 2006 draft-and-follow signed in May, Rohrbough is a big lefty with an above-average fastball and a hard curveball that's death on left-handed hitters, so at worst, Atlanta knows it has a future left-handed reliever here. He'll need to improve his changeup and fastball command.

Matt Antonelli

2B/CF

San Diego Padres
TOP '07 LEVEL: AA (San Antonio)

Antonelli is a patient hitter with good hand-eye coordination and plus speed. He has struggled to find a position, playing second base in 2006 after moving off shortstop; a switch to center field is his best route to an everyday major league role.

Trevor Cahill

RHP

Oakland A's
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Kane County)

Cahill gets good sink on a solid-average fastball and flashes a plus curveball with very good depth. His arm is quick, but he needs to work on keeping his front shoulder closed, and his control is still below-average.

Wladimir Balentien

RF

Seattle Mariners

Balentien's swing is long and he doesn't take a consistent path to the ball, but he's strong and hasn't had trouble making contact. He plays a solid right field with an above-average arm.

Chorye Spoone

RHP

Baltimore Orioles
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Frederick)

Spoone has the potential for three plus pitches, with an explosive fastball with good bore that generates a lot of groundballs. Definite sleeper.

Brad Lincoln

RHP

Pittsburgh Pirates
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Hickory)

Lincoln missed 2007 after Tommy John surgery, but is expected to be ready to go in March. He has an above-average fastball and power curve with some feel for a changeup and is a good athlete who can swing the bat a little bit. It remains to be seen whether his stuff still measures up after the operation.

Engel Beltre

RF

Texas Rangers
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (Spokane)

Beltre was the key guy going back to Texas in the Eric Gagne trade. He has a clean swing with some loft in it, a plus arm, and should be an above-average glove in right. Beltre hit nine home runs in just over 200 at-bats in rookie ball, despite the fact that he played the whole season at age 17.

Gorkys Hernandez

CF

Atlanta Braves
TOP '07 LEVEL: A (West Michigan)

Hernandez is extremely fast and covers a ton of ground in center, showing an above-average arm as well. At the plate, however, he's a slap hitter who makes contact but doesn't hit for any power or show good on-base skills, and he'll have to improve in one of those areas to be more than a fringe regular.

Andrew Brackman

RHP

New York Yankees
TOP '07 LEVEL: College (N.C. State)

Brackman is out for 2008 after elbow surgery, but he was one of the best amateur prospects in the country heading into last spring. He gets great downhill plane on a 91-97 mph fastball and shows signs of a plus breaking ball, with clean mechanics for someone so tall. His major league contract works against him.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:48 pm

Keith Law- Top 100 prospects of 2008

NY Yankees Prospects

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=3221365

Joba Chamberlain

3) You may have heard of this fellow. Best known to big league fans as a dominant setup guy, Chamberlain is best cast as a four-pitch starter who projects as a true No. 1 starter. He has a four-pitch repertoire where all pitches project as average or better: a plus 94-98 mph four-seamer, a toxic 83-87 mph slider with good tilt and variable break, an 11/5 curveball with good depth, and a straight 81-84 mph changeup with good arm speed. The fastball and slider are already big league out pitches and in relief, he can probably get away without the other two pitches. Chamberlain has a great pitcher's build with broad shoulders and the height to get good downhill plane on his pitches, and his arm is quick. He's battled his weight in the past, leading to knee trouble, and he had bicep tendinitis in college that allowed him to fall to the Yankees in the supplemental round.

Jose Tabata

21)Tabata was in the top 10 last year, but a nagging hamate injury ended his 2007 season early, requiring surgery in August. Tabata has a quick bat and great hand-eye coordination, and he squares up balls as well as anyone on this list. He also has good pitch recognition, although that can manifest itself in working the count to get to a fastball he can drive. His raw power hasn't shown up in games, which could be explained by the hamate injury; hand and wrist injuries sap power, and full recovery from a broken hamate bone can take up to a year. Tabata can play center but has been bumped to right field by fellow Yankee prospect Austin Jackson (No. 24), and Tabata should be plus there with an above-average arm. He'd rank higher if the hamate problem was fully behind him, but until that becomes clear, there's still some risk here.

#24) Austin Jackson
Jackson is my favorite kind of hitting prospect -- the athlete with a clue. Jackson was a top basketball prospect in high school, but the Yankees flexed their financial muscles and gave him first-round money in the eighth round, a move that looks brilliant in hindsight because of how advanced Jackson is for a multi-sport prospect. Jackson has good speed, a solid-average arm in center and good instincts on fly balls, but still has some work to do at the plate. His setup is excellent and his path to the ball is short, but he needs to continue working on keeping his weight back to get more power from the contact he makes, and he's too eager to chase the ball up. He's a potential middle-of-the-order bat because of his power and improving plate discipline.

#45) Ian Kennedy

Kennedy's stuff alone would put him in the lower reaches of this list. He is here because he has superb command of average or fringe-average stuff, so superb that he is going to succeed in the majors where many guys with superior stuff will fail. He works with a fringe-average fastball that touches 90 mph on occasion but mostly falls in the 87-88 mph range, and he commands it to all four edges of the zone. His best secondary pitch is his changeup, slightly above average with some tailing action, but it works extremely well because he keeps his arm speed consistent. His curve is solidly average as well. Kennedy repeats his delivery as well as any prospect on this list, commands all of his pitches and has a great feel for pitching. With plus stuff, he would be in the top 10 overall, but with his stuff, he will have to settle for an upside as a borderline No. 3 starter or a great No. 4 starter.

100) Andrew Brackman

Brackman is out for 2008 after elbow surgery, but he was one of the best amateur prospects in the country heading into last spring. He gets great downhill plane on a 91-97 mph fastball and shows signs of a plus breaking ball, with clean mechanics for someone so tall. His major league contract works against him.

Redsox Prospects

#4 Clay Buccholz

#19 Jacob Ellsbury

#28 Lars Anderson

#55 Jed Lowrie

Yankees related questions from his chat today

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=19060

Last edited by on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:56 pm

Chat with Keith Law

Welcome to The Show! On Thursday, Scouts, Inc. senior baseball analyst, Keith Law, will stop by to talk some baseball.

Keith was formerly the special assistant to the general manager with the Toronto Blue Jays and has a wealth of knowledge for you to tap into.

Send your questions for Keith now, then check into The Show on Thursday at 1 p.m. ET to see his answers.

Law Archive: Chats | Columns

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:02 PM ET ) OK, the top 100 prospect list is finally up, so I'm game for questions on that, as opposed to ...

Lyle (Phoenix): Are we going to chat about things other than Johan today? I'd appreciate a response because if this is a Johan chat, I'd rather do something more worthwhile, like poke myself in the eye with a hot stick.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:03 PM ET ) Yeah, I'd like to keep that to a minimum. I've already said my piece on the deal, and I have no new information on whether or not the Mets will sign him (I assume they will) or what it will cost.

Mike (Albany, NY): Keith, how is Scott Elbert not on your list of Top 5 prospects in the Dodger organization? Is it strictly due last seasons arm injury? Is his ceiling a #2 starter?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:04 PM ET ) It was due to the arm injury and the fact that he didn't come back last year. When a pitcher misses significant time with a shoulder injury, I want to see where his stuff is before getting back on board.

RGG (NYC): Hey Keith, did Adam Jones get too many ML at bats to be considered a prospect on your list?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:05 PM ET ) Yes, he no longer qualifies as a rookie by a mere 9 at bats. I think Justin Upton, who would have been #1 overall had he qualified, missed by only 10 at bats.

Jonathan (ATL, GA): Keith, you and Goldstein both have Scherzer 80+ on your lists. do you not see him as a closer?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:06 PM ET ) When you're not even facing the plate at the end of your delivery, you're going to struggle to command your pitches, and you're not going to hold a closer role for long. He's got a lot of cleaning up to do for him to be an elite closer prospect ... and even if he was, I don't rate 60 IP/year prospects very highly. If you look at my list, I only have a few projected relievers on there.

Rick (Boston): Hi Keith, I was wondering what your thoughts were on Jeff Clement. Not that the 4th best prosect at C is anything to sneeze at, but most people I've read see a 30+ HR, solid defensive catcher. Where do you see him falling short of that?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:08 PM ET ) He's a bad defensive catcher, and may not stay behind the plate. I could see 30 HR, maybe, in a park that's not too tough on LH pull hitters, but he's not likely to hit for much average. I would just pitch him soft away all day long.

Tom (MA): Keith: I was curious how much you take into account "intangibles" when evaluating a young player's chances to succeed. For example, Jon Lester has obviously shown a lot by coming back from cancer and has also shown the ability to pitch with guys on base. Is this kind of thing something you take into account, or is it just too difficult to quantify?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:09 PM ET ) I don't consider it. There's too much room for BS. And Lester "showing a lot" ... what does that mean? Did you expect him to not fight for his life?

Calvin (Hobbes, TX): Keith, You mentioned last week that the only player the Braves would miss in their trade for Teixeira would be Salty and Andrus. BP ranks Neftali Feliz as the Rangers top prospect. Where does he rank in your Rangers list, does he project as a reliever or starter and is he just too far away to say the Braves will end up missing him? Also does Beau Jones project as a starter or reliever. Thanks for your time!

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:10 PM ET ) He's way too far away and too raw. I think KG is taking a stand on a player he really likes - I do the same thing - but he wasn't a consideration for my top 5 Rangers prospects because of all the nearer-in guys they have.

Chris Perez: Not on the list huh? Oh well, am I the next Cardinals closer?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:10 PM ET ) Maybe when you stop walking two guys every three innings.

Erbe, Milwaukee: No Jermey Jeffress or Escobar from the Brewers in your top 100...why not, they are in the top 50 in most other rankings I have seen.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:12 PM ET ) This is a good time to answer the generic question: I really don't give a crap about where players rank in other rankings. I don't consider them when doing my own rankings, and it doesn't bother me if I'm really high on a guy no one else likes. I go see players, I evaluate them, and I rank them. That's it. Jeffress is a one-pitch guy who's athletic and has decided that he'd rather smoke dope than play pro baseball. He's not a top 50 prospect - that is INSANITY. He's the new Pete Stonard.

Eric (NYC): There's a "hot-stove-heater" coming up pitting the Marlins against the Rays in 2010. Based on your list, it isn't even close right?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:13 PM ET ) Right - Rays in a rout.

Danny (Islip, NY): Hey Keith, thanks again for your time. What happens now with Mike Pelfrey? He seems to be the odd man out in NY.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:14 PM ET ) I think he could end up the 5th starter with a strong spring training; otherwise, he'll end up in their rotation at the first opening. I mean, El Duque is not making 30 starts this year.

Aaron - (Des Moines): How is Geovany Soto not higher on your list? He proved he can do everything. What else does he need to do?

Erbe, Milwaukee: Why is Soto getting so much love...he was in his 3rd straight year at triple A and FINALLY performs well, and was very lucky as well according to his BABIP numbers...please explain the love?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:14 PM ET ) Why don't you two just duke this one out yourselves?

Roger (Chicago): Was Jaime Garcia left off because of injury? If so, does that type of injury usually have severe adverse effects on pitchers?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:16 PM ET ) He's on there. Would have been higher if he hadn't missed 2/3 of the year with an elbow injury - and yes, I'd say an elbow injury has an adverse effect on a pitcher.

Jim (NYC): How is it possible that you have Jacoby Ellsbury as the 6th best CF prospect?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:17 PM ET ) It's not just possible - it's true!

Matt (Brooklyn): The rumor is out there that Minnesota called the Yankees before accepting the Mets offer and said Melky, Kennedy, and a prospect would get the deal done. True? And if so, why not? Kennedy will never be a top 2 starter and Melky's value is a little inflated right now, no?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:17 PM ET ) I was told that that offer from the Twins was Melky, Kennedy, and some pitcher named Wang. I haven't confirmed that with anyone in the Bronx, but if that's true, I would agree that Cashman should have turned it down.

Brian (Alexandria): Jordan Zimmermann cracks the top 100, I like that quasi-sleeper pick. Did the fact he attended a small college lead to his slide down team's draft boards last season? Or was it something else?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:19 PM ET ) He wasn't easy to see. He broke his jaw early on and missed some time, and once his team left Florida, seeing him was a trip in and of itself. That definitely affects a player's draft status on the margins - slides him down a few picks because some clubs didn't see him enough to give him a high six-figure bonus.

Wes (Atlanta): Ultimately, do you feel Elvis Andrus will be a better overall ss than Yunel Escobar?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:19 PM ET ) Yes, I like Andrus' bat much better.

Jack (Toronto): How can you not have prospect (insert name) higher on your list for (insert favorite team)? Does that about cover all the questions coming in?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:19 PM ET ) A good chunk of them.

Thomas: Revere, MA: You said you ignore intangibles yet totally ignore Jeffress and his 100+ mph heat and average curve? What am I missing in this equation?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:57 pm

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:20 PM ET ) He doesn't throw that hard. He doesn't have an average curve.

Jeff (Seattle): Where would have A. Jones ranked in the top 10 if he were eligible?? Top 10??

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:20 PM ET ) Yes, I'd say top 10.

casey Johnson (san mateo ca): was chuck lofgran close to cracking his list? hows his future looking? We went to High School together AND im a huge Indians fan

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:21 PM ET ) Not really close - his numbers took a big dive this year, and his breaking ball isn't going to be good enough for him to start in the majors (unless it improves, that is). Lefties with good changeups have a hard time cracking big-league bullpens, because most teams want lefties who get left-handed hitters out.

Spencer (Orange County): What team comes out of obscurity first: Rangers, A's, Giants, Marlins?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:22 PM ET ) The Marlins and Rangers are much further ahead of the Bay Area teams in their rebuilding processes.

JP, VT: Why doesn't Steven Pearce appear in your rankings?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:23 PM ET ) I don't see him hitting enough to play 1b every day in the majors, and he can't play defensively anywhere else.

Jeff (Ann Arbor): Did Jurrjens not qualify for your list or do you not think he belongs? If you don't think he belongs what's keeping him off the list? Thanks.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:24 PM ET ) #1 concern on him was the shoulder soreness that shut him down in September. I'm also not sold on his secondary stuff, and his K rates in the minors were not that good.

Jon Doe Cardinal fan : you had Mitchell Boggs on the list ahead of other cardinals prospects like Chris Perez rhp, Bryan Anderson c, Jaime Garcia lhp, Adam Ottavino rhp, and Pete Kozma ss. are you high on Boggs or not believer in the others?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:26 PM ET ) I am definitely high on Boggs, and I think I'm relatively low on the other guys, although Garcia would have been ahead of Boggs if I was sure he was 100% healthy. I don't think Anderson's a catcher, I think Ottavino's a reliever, I thought Kozma was a good utility player in the draft (but he is very young to consign him to that bin), and as I said earlier Perez's control is a problem.

Ed (Charltote, NC): Keith really enjoy your work. Was wondering why E. Kunz was left out of the Mets top 5 prospects?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:26 PM ET ) Sidearming reliever, could just be a specialist, bad athlete. He was a consideration at #5, since their system is rather depleted; Carp probably wasn't the best choice for that slot.

Drew (Philly): KLaw, there is info going around that the Phils are thisclose to signing Kyle Lohse to a deal. With the signing of Feliz, do these two moves soften the blow of Santana goingt to the Mets?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:27 PM ET ) I have heard the same on Lohse, and I don't think signing Lohse is much of an answer to the Mets getting Santana.

Brian (NYC): Hey Keith...I know how sick you probably are of Jaba questions, but this isn't about how awesome he is or will be. Reports earlier this week hinted that the Yankees, in an attempt to limit his innings, may have him set up for the first half, then start in the second half. Is it possible for him, or any pitcher really, to be an effective starter for half a season after being a late inning reliever for the previous half?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:27 PM ET ) Chad Billingsley did this in 2007.

Kyle (minneapolis): Considering the fact that the Twins don't technically have Gomez or Guerra yet, they really don't have any of the top 100 yet, is the rest of their system that sad?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:28 PM ET ) It's awful - one of the three worst, with the White Sox and Houston.

Mark (Orlando): What's the word on Jason heyward? I heard he could be the next griffey, is that way too optimistic?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:28 PM ET ) I believe Atlanta has already moved him out of CF, so that already rules out that comparison. But he's a star with the bat, should hit for average and power and get on base.

Brenda, Steamboat Springs: Mr Law, Scouts Inc, what is the link for your articles there? What numbers can we expect for: Joe Koshansky and Ian Stewart? Does Matt Murton end up a Rockie? Keep up the good work! Thanks, YOUR COLORADO FAN CLUB

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:30 PM ET ) My articles always appear on espn.go.com/mlb. Stewart should be a solid-average third baseman at worst, probably a bit better than that; I would have explored trading Atkins this winter and giving Stewart the job. Koshansky is a 4A player. Haven't heard much on Murton to the Rockies.

Ben (Boston): Where the hell is Jed Lowrie on the list? I know you ESPN guys have your New York bias, but come on! Dude is sick!

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:32 PM ET ) If you can't be bothered to read the whole list, why should I bother answering your question?

john, fla: is john lester not on your list, did you miss him or is he not a prospect anymore

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:33 PM ET ) Players who have lost their Rookie of the Year eligibility (130 AB in the majors, 50 IP, or 45 days on a 25-man roster) were not eligible for the list.

Paolo (Tempe, AZ): Keith, what do you make of the Dodgers moving Meloan back to starting pitching? How do you think he'll pan out?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:34 PM ET ) I haven't heard that they are doing that, and if so, they might as well as him to stick his arm in the wood-chipper. The injury risk is the same either way.

Phanatic: SAVERY?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:34 PM ET ) Stuff really hasn't come back since the labrum surgery. I'd like to see either a tick back up in his velocity or some extended success at a higher level before I buy into him.

matt (dallas, texas): gomez or hamilton who would you rather have?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:34 PM ET ) Hamilton.

James (Roxboro, NC): Joe Savery and Kyle Drabek, simply not good enough for the top 100 or do injury history/concerns drop them?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:35 PM ET ) Drabek is still out with TJ, and I think I only had two guys on my list in that situation, both in the 90s.

Trin (Chicago): Hey Keith, kind of a side note, but how many emails do you get for these things with foul language in them? Given some of the earlier responses, I'd guess around 5-10%

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:35 PM ET ) Very, very few. Most folks are polite; the worst are obnoxious, but rarely does anyone actually get rude.

John (Chi): Two questions: When you were in Toronto, did you ever read any Robertson Davies? If not, I really suggest Fifth Business. Second, your rankings seem to suggest the Indians farm cupboard is pretty bare? What're your thoughts on their system?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:37 PM ET ) It is pretty bare. I know it's all chic to say that they're the new "model franchise," but their drafts have kind of sucked for a long time now, and their farm system has not been all that productive outside of prospects they acquired in trade. That speaks well to a pro scouting process, but I don't know that that alone is a recipe for long-term success.

Dan (cedar falls, iowa): I realizr you don't care about others rankings, and Jim Callis said he likes Moustakas more then others, but whats holding you back, lack of minor at-bats?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:38 PM ET ) Not sure where he ends up on the field, because I don't think he's a shortstop. Also, I've felt since before the draft that some of the hype on him was due to the fact that he's got an electric arm as a pitcher (up to 97 with an above-average breaking ball), which is exciting but doesn't have a bearing on his prospects as a hitter. I had him #11 going into the draft, and I would have a hard time pushing him much higher than 8th. That said, if he has a big year in '08 and I like what I see whenever I see him, I'll move him way up.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

dave( toronto): What do think of the blue jays farm system?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:39 PM ET ) Bottom five or six. After Snider, there's really nothing until short-season ball, and I wasn't in love with some of their high picks (Arencibia, Jackson).

Lars (Milwaukee): Hey Keith, we just finished discussing "Their Eyes Were Watching God" in my English class today, I thought it was disappointing, have you read it?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:40 PM ET ) Yes, really liked it, although I like Morrison's books more.

JO (Chicago): How far outside the top 100 is the next best White Sox prospect?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:40 PM ET ) A long ways. I sat down to do those top 5s, and for most teams it was straightforward. For them, I wrote:
"1. Aaron Poreda
2. X"
and finished all the other teams before even trying to find another prospect there.

Interesting Fact: KLaw's rankings have a direct effect on a player's future...little known fact. People need to relax.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:41 PM ET ) You should have signed your name as "Perspective."

Brad (Gadsden,Alabama): Who do you think is going to win the super bowl?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:41 PM ET ) New England.

H.F. (Atlanta, GA): Not on your list of Top 100 prospects, but what can you tell me about Cubs OF prospect Tyler Colvin? 4th outfielder? Every day player? Thanks.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:41 PM ET ) Fourth outfielder.

Josh (Dayton): If you had to start your franchise with one minor league player to build upon, who would it be and why? Love the chats!

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:42 PM ET ) Longoria. Plays a skill position and does it well. Impact bat. And ready now.

Nick (Philly): Who do you *want* to win the Super Bowl

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:42 PM ET ) I root for history, so I'm rooting for New England. Watching a team or player do something that's never been done before, or something that happens rarely (like a no-hitter), is exciting.

Paul, Moorestown, NJ: If that is the case with Poreda being the only real prospect in the Sox system, what is his ceiling?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:43 PM ET ) #3 starter right now, but if the slider develops - and there's a good chance of that - he could easily be a #2.

Fred, Columbus: Re: Homer Bailey? "he'll give the Reds the true No. 1 starter they've been looking for." Still no love for Harang? Name 5 #1's in the NL better than him.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:44 PM ET ) Santana, Webb, Penny, Hamels, Oswalt, Peavy. I win.

Ryan (PA): Wow Longoria over Bruce? I guess you can't go wrong with either but if Bruce can play CF he will be pretty valuable.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:44 PM ET ) I don't see him as an average CF. He'll be good in RF, though.

Dominic (Denver): Would you take a package built around Stewart and Kolshansky for Bedard?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:45 PM ET ) No. I'd laugh long and hard directly into the phone before turning it down, though.

Chad (New Hope, MN): I keep kearing Carlos Gomez has "raw" talent. So what is his ceiling? Potential all-star or is he just an average everyday player?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:58 pm

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:45 PM ET ) Ceiling is a potential All-Star, leadoff guy with explosive speed, plays well above-average defense in CF.

Adam J. Morris (Houston): Over/under on Rangers wins this year?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:47 PM ET ) Man, I haven't even begun to think about that stuff. 70? That might be a bit low, but it's not as if the rotation is looking better.

Wilson (DC): Gomez ceiling = Juan Pierre. OH BOY.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:47 PM ET ) No, I said Gomez would be good.

Nate (MI): Over/under on Porcello's 2009 rank?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:49 PM ET ) Attrition from the upper reaches of the list would move him up probably ten spots. Seven of the top ten guys on the list won't qualify next year, nor will Ellsbury, so that's a minimum of eight. And guys like Maybin and McCutchen are sort of on watch - one disappointing year doesn't change my opinion of them much, but two will. So I'd say 11-15.

Mark (New York):: I never get my comments posted. AJAX or Ellsbury, and have age influence your decision.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:49 PM ET ) Ellsbury was higher than Jackson on my list because of probability. Jackson has the higher ceiling.

Kevin (NYC): Longoria potential better, equal or below David Wright?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:49 PM ET ) It would be hard to project anyone as better. I'll say equal.

tim (pa): I was hoping to get someone to comment on Dr. Mike Marshall throwing motion. I have a torn labrum and rotator cuff and Marshall?s throwing technique seems to relieve the pain when I throw. Is Marshall?s motion good for the back yard but not for the major leagues. What do you think of it?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:50 PM ET ) I've seen it on video, never seen it live. If you can throw in a specific way without pain, then you should keep throwing that way. There is no "perfect" delivery - you have to be able to do it without pain, to repeat it, and to be effective.

David, Wichita, KS: What about Justin Upton? Isn't he technically a rookie in 2008?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:51 PM ET ) He is not.

RGG (NYC): Adam Jones, George Sherrill, Chris Tillman and Tony Butler enough of a return for Bedard?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:51 PM ET ) Absolutely.

Nick (Boston): I never understood why ESPN analysts post the people who whine about never getting their questions posted -- a) why are they whining; b) isn't that just like calling on that really annoying student who does whatever they can to get attention?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:51 PM ET ) I usually do it to make fun of them.

Jonathan (Tampa, FL): How far outside of the top 100 is Michael Burgess? Is he all projection at this point?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:51 PM ET ) That's about right. Big raw power, but poor feel for hitting.

Gene (Agoura Hills): Hey Keith, I LOVE YOU! I'm having a superbowl party, I'm making a sandwich for everyone. What do you like in your sandwiches? Please answer, I need some ideas.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:51 PM ET ) I love sliced avocado on sandwiches.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:52 PM ET ) Two minute break - I will be back.

Marc (Quincy Ma): Duran over Brignac? Duran a year older, much better hitter park(2nd in TEXAS lg) and much better hitting league. Brignac improved his BB and K%'s this season, and by all account will stay at SS. How can Duran be ranked higher?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:58 PM ET ) That is some seriously selective arguing. Brignac improving certain indicators does not mean that he's now better than another player; it means he's better than he himself was last year.

Jim (philly): How close was Josh Outman to making the top 100? Major league #2 or #3 pitching potential?

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:58 PM ET ) More like a 4 or 5. No way he's a potential #2. He wasn't close to making the 100.

Dunnie - Boston: I saw you had Lars Anderson raked 28th and I'm hoping you give me some idea who he might compare to and when you think he will arrive in the big leagues. Thanks

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:59 PM ET ) Probably two years away, should be a patience/power bat who hits 4th or 5th in a big-league lineup.

David (Topeka, KS): I'm surprised you omitted both Hocheaver and Cortes from your top 100.

SportsNation Keith Law: (1:59 PM ET ) I saw Hochevar at the Futures Game and his stuff wasn't good. And his performance this year was nothing special.

Brian Seattle: How is the M's farm system? I have heard they push their prospects too fast is that true?

Mike (Pittsburgh): Thanks for the list! You have McCutcheon, Walker and Lincoln on the list. Who from the Pirate organization was the next closest to getting in?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:01 PM ET ) Sorry, lost an answer there. To Brian: I've always thought the M's rushed their prospects, and their system is no worse than middle of the pack. Lot of depth in the lower minors, and they are outstanding in the international arena. Mike: Moskos would have been next, but he was not close.

MJ (edmonton): Keith, have you read Life of Pi? If so, what did you think? I had to read it for school and I actually quite enjoyed it.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:02 PM ET ) It was excellent, very clever, thoughtful, and a good read.

Andy (Tampa): Your prospect list has me all excited about my Rays. What are the chances they have a post season level rotation in 3 years?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:03 PM ET ) If you asked "in 3-5 years" I'd say "very good." Three years might be a little aggressive, since their closest starting pitching prospects will probably start in AA, and they may need a year or two in the majors before they're pitching at the level you describe.

John, Madison, CT: Did you have Hagadone and Kalish on the just missed list? Too small of a sample to judge?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:04 PM ET ) Kalish broke his hamate bone, which can have a lingering effect on a hitter, and I think he's still more of an athlete with some baseball skills than an elite prospect. Hagadone wasn't on the just missed list; Kalish would have been ahead of him.

Dave (Mass): After seeing your list and hearing all the hype of the Oakland A's trades of prospects, I would of expected more than what you had of A's?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:05 PM ET ) They went for quantity over quality in those deals, which they needed to do with a fairly barren farm system.

Pat (Rochester, NY): Do you see Jesus Montero staying at catcher or will he outgrow the position? Where does he rank as a prospect in your mind.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:06 PM ET ) No way he stays at catcher - he's already too big. He's a candidate to jump into the top half of this list next year.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jonathan (Tampa, FL): Why don't you like steak? It's the best meat out there!

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:07 PM ET ) I prefer a nice big plate of fish, which is my favorite dish.

Jonathan (Tampa, FL): How long before John Jaso moves from behind the plate?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:07 PM ET ) I'm not ruling him out as a catcher yet.

Jeff (Atlanta, Georgia): Antonelli at 88? How many times do 2nd baseman who dont play like Soriano or a Yankee-Knoblauch defensively come around capable of hitting 300-30-100 with some speed? What are we missing here? Is it no longer cool to like power hitting 2nd baseman who do it all?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:08 PM ET ) No, it's incredibly uncool. Or maybe you should read what I wrote about Antonelli: "He has struggled to find a position, playing second base in 2006 after moving off shortstop; a switch to centerfield is his best route to an everyday major-league role." In other words, he doesn't "do it all" because his defense at 2b is not good.

Mike(Charlotte): Hey Keith, love all your stuff, I've read projections for Jake McGee as a starter and closer, where do you think he ends up?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:10 PM ET ) He's a one-pitch guy right now, so that would indicate a future the bullpen, but he's young and the Rays don't need to rush him, so I'm not writing him off as a starter. I would have listed him probably 20-30 spots lower if I thought he was just a reliever. Would you rather have Brett Cecil, a LH reliever with two plus pitches (including an out pitch slider) and a possible third, or a LH reliever who throws very hard but lacks a good second pitch?

Erik(Tampa): But fish is smelly Keith.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:10 PM ET ) You need to change where you shop.

Tommy from New York: Absolutely baffled that Mike Moustakas is only 47th. How is the best high school bat since Alex Rodriguez (according to the delightful Mr. Boras) 47th? Agent Boras is puking pea soup right now!

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:11 PM ET ) Scott's players are well represented on the list, including the guys at 14 and 22.

Josh: (Madison, WI): No one ever gives a word of press to Carlos Villanueva of the Brewers. He was quite effective down the stretch last year. I know he's past rookie elligibility, but what are your thoughts on him? ceiling?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:11 PM ET ) Probably a reliever, might work as a fifth starter.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rob (Buffalo): Does Alan Horne project to make it to the big leagues?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:11 PM ET ) Definitely.

Jon (DC): Ahi Tuna or Chilean sea bass?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:12 PM ET ) Sea bass.

Shawn (Minneapolis): Kevin Slowey, not on the list? Did he not qualify or is he overrated in the Twins organization?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:12 PM ET ) 66 big league innings = does not qualify.

ryan (NS): Keith, i noticed that on your orhganizational rankings you had Trysten Magnuson rated higher than some other publications - i was wondering if you liked him alot or was the ranking more indicative of a lack of depth in the blue jay's system? secondly, could i get your thoughts on Eric Eiland?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:14 PM ET ) I like him quite a bit, and he didn't pitch over the summer, so I'm guessing a lot of people haven't seen him. Eiland was one of the five best players at the 2006 Area Code Games, then hurt his hamstring in the early spring, then played horribly when he did get back on the field. I like that pick for Toronto; I think Eiland really should have gone to college.

Bobby (Oakland, CA): Why isn't Gio G. in the Top 100? Did the repeat of AA hurt his stock despite the great numbers?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:14 PM ET ) Repeat of AA hurts, as does the below-average fastball.

Jason (San Diego): Keith, where do you typically buy your fish? I'm fairly picky when it comes to the quality of my seafood, and its difficult to find decent seafood that is also inexpensive.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:15 PM ET ) Whole Foods. That is the one food item I will not go cheap on. If the fishmonger doesn't store the fish properly, it's going to go bad fast.

Jeff, Green Bay: what do you see as the ceiling for Tony Gwynn Jr.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:15 PM ET ) 4th/5th outfielder.

Fred (Austin, TX): Everyone feels Kershaw will be a stud. What current SP would compare to his ceiling?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:16 PM ET ) How about Erik Bedard, since there aren't many LH starters with similar stuff and the ability to strike out that many hitters?

Poochie (Berkeley): Tony Gwynn Jr. or Fred Lewis?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:16 PM ET ) Lewis.

Chris (Baltimore, MD): How do you know your sea bass is really sea bass?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:16 PM ET ) Whole Foods only buys it from the new fishery in the South Georgia Islands.

Tea-Cake (Florida): Man, I rememba readin' "Their Eyes were Watching God" back in tha day...tha' book gave me sucha headache!!

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:17 PM ET ) RDF.

Rob (Buffalo): Sorry to ask about Horne again: Does he have better "stuff" than Kennedy, though poorer command?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:17 PM ET ) Little more fastball, yes. Someone else asked if Horne or Humberto Sanchez has more value now - it's Horne. Hurt players tend not to have a lot of value.

Bailey (Atlanta): Keith, where would you rate the Braves Farm system, overall? Who are their top 5 prospects in your opinion?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:19 PM ET ) Their system is pretty deep in arms, actually, and Heyward has a good chance to be in the top 10-15 next year. I think they're in the top 10 overall. I listed a top five from every organization in an article on my ESPN blog yesterday.

oira79: Would you agree that people spend too little money on food? If you want good fresh fish, you have to pay for it. People driving newish SUVs to shop at Food 4 Less always make me wonder about their priorities.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:20 PM ET ) I would agree with that. I spend very little money on things like our cars or home electronics, but I probably spend more money than most people on groceries.

Rich (NY, NY): Hey Keith, I wanted to ask you about that rumor about the Twins last-ditch Santana offer to the Yanks. Isn't Wang only so valuable for the next few years while he's cost-controlled? Sure, he's great for a guy making 500k (or whatever his number is). But once he reaches arbitration/free-agency, isn't he exactly the kind of pitcher who will be overvalued and overpaid? He's not a true No. 1, but in this market could easily be paid like one. So why not bite the bullet now, send him to the Twins and get the world's best pitcher in return?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:20 PM ET ) I believe the difference in production between Wang and Santana last year was only around a win. So I'd much rather have three years of Wang than one of Santana.

Leo (Los Angeles): Kotchman or Loney?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:20 PM ET ) Loney.

Alan (St. Petersburg): Is there anyone in your top 100 who you think could make a big leap this year, maybe someone you downgraded for now out of caution?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:23 PM ET ) Chorye Spoone. Josh Smoker. Tyler Robertson. Deolis Guerra. Chris Nelson. Fautino de los Santos. Moustakas. And anyone I downgraded due to injury - Garcia, Brackman, Lincoln.

Dan (NYC): Where would a guy like Kemp rank in terms of players you'd want to start an organization around?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:23 PM ET ) Really, really high.

Jason (Tustin, CA): Keith you seem to have a bias against the Padres I have been noticing for a while now. How can you rate Antonelli so low? He has generally been ranked the top 2B prospect in baseball. Have you even been to see him play?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:24 PM ET ) Oh, yes, I'm terribly biased against the Padres. Yawn. I have seen Antonelli play live more times than I've seen any other player on this list.

Brian (sf): come on keith give the skinny on the giants farm system.Do you think it s improving quickly?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:24 PM ET ) It's definitely improving, but it's going to take some time, since their best prospects are all in short-season ball.

Robert (Cardinals fan): Thank you Keith, you always provide interesting chats to read. How many of the people who ask questions would you like to reach thru the computer and slap?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:24 PM ET ) Only the ones who accuse me of bias.

Doug (NY): Besides Montero (who you already mentioned), who else outside your top 100 could make a huge leap next year?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:26 PM ET ) Matt Tuiasosopo. I think I spelled that right. Jeff Locke. Jose Ceda. Madison Bumgarner.

Brad (Wayne, NJ): What were the top 5 best teams farm systems? Rays, Yanks, Sox?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:27 PM ET ) Rays, Rangers, Sox, Yanks, Reds.

Jon (DC): Hey Keith, Just wondering which team you think has the best "top 5?" Not the best system as a whole, just limited to the top 5 in the system. Thanks.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:27 PM ET ) Reds have the best top 4. Might be the Rays if you go 5.

Flemming, Copenhagen, Denmark: Joba shouldn't even be on the list. He should be in a category for himself. He will win the next 15 Cy's. Damn you and your Yankees-bias, KLaw.....

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:28 PM ET ) You're just mad because I won't answer any Aarhus Aardvarks questions...

Frank (Boston): Weeks stat line in 2008?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:28 PM ET ) .305/.400/.500.

Justin NJ: hey, you biased Fishmonger! The Mets ain't been in da newz at all lately. Gimme some Brant Rustich lovin'!

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:29 PM ET ) Live arm, lot of minor injuries, not sure about him in pressure situations.

Dan (Pasadena): How does the upcoming draft class compare to last year? Where would Wieters be on the board this year? Beckham compared to Moustakas/Vitters etc? Price v. Matusz?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:31 PM ET ) Premium HS bats are down this year. HS arms are still up in the air; I feel like they're down, but I just talked to a scout last night who thinks it's just as good. College arms are up. Wieters would still be at or near #1. I think Beckham is ahead of Moustakas/Vitters/etc because I know he can play in the middle of the field. Price > Matusz.

Jack (Cincinnati): What's your opinion on Drew Stubbs & Todd Frazier?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:31 PM ET ) Not a big fan of either. Stubbs has had major trouble catching up to average stuff, although I understand he had an issue with his vision that was finally resolved late in the season. Frazier has a huge hitch in his swing, and I think he ends up in LF.

chris: (pittsburgh):: i know you put your top 5 draft picks on baseball america but some of us can only afford one insider account can you give us espn subscribers some love

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:32 PM ET ) I am now officially insulted.

Lou (Boulder, CO): Any chance we can get a mid-year revisit of this list for some of the more, shall we say, debate instigating choices on the list?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:32 PM ET ) Usually at midyear I'm tied up with other things - summer coverage of the next year's amateurs plus ramping up major and minor league coverage. It's too busy to do something like that.

Daniel (NYC): Lets say you have the Mets system in the bottom 10 right now.... if they have a good draft (3 picks in the top 33) realistically how much could that boost their system next year?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:33 PM ET ) If they would finally suck it up and tell the Commissioner's Office to go pound sand and go over slot on a top-notch player, they could turn their system around fairly quickly. And please, no more sidearming relievers with high picks.

Paul (San Francisco): Will Craig Hansen or Daniel Bard ever make this list?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:33 PM ET ) Bard is much more likely. I've almost given up hope on Hansen. Bard in the pen could move quickly.

Robby Dublin, CA: After reading your top 100 I noticed the Giants don't have much. They talk about a youth movement but I truly believe we're in trouble. Do you see any of the Giants young players becomes starters sooner rather then later?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:35 PM ET ) I like what they have in their system, but it's all four or five years out - Villalona, Alderson, Bumgarner, Fairley, Noonan. They have nothing close.

Danny(Philly): Hey Keith I know your not a big fan of Cardenas because of a lack of position. Was he still close to making the list?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:36 PM ET ) He wasn't close, but he's a guy I'm keeping an open mind on for 2008. If I see more with the bat and/or an improvement defensively, he'll be on this list next year. Maybe he should have been, but I'm sticking with what I saw.

Alan (St. Petersburg): You oughta check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch. They recommend not eating Chilean sea bass. Try striped bass instead.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:37 PM ET ) The S Georgia fishery is a sustainable operation.

Bryan (Valencia, CA): KLaw, always love the chats. You see Kershaw brought up this year, or do you think another year in the minors wouldn't hurt?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:37 PM ET ) Another year in the minors is almost a necessity.

Ian: Hey Keith, trying to get this answered for a bit. What impact does the team have on player development. For instance, Matt Garza was the 21st pick in the draft and then lit up the minors. If the draft was redone, it would seem he would be picked higher. But would he have developed as well if he was in a different teams system?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:38 PM ET ) What's done is done with a player's development and has to be considered. At the same time, I don't consider a player's organization when assessing his future.

Bill (San Diego, CA): If you have seen Antonelli live more times than anyone else, you should probably know he never played a game in the minors at shortstop. Oops.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:39 PM ET ) He was a shortstop all through college and on the Cape. Facts/way/story.

John, NY: Keith, In your listing for Fernando Martinez, you made this statement: "It's been fashionable this offseason for some writers to bash the Mets' top prospects, mostly vis-à-vis the Johan Santana trade talks, but this criticism has been way overblown." I'm assuming this was before the Santana trade - but are you saying you like the Mets system? Who's left now?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:40 PM ET ) I was talking about how many writers said the Mets' "inferior" prospects would preclude them landing Santana, even to this day. Gomez and Guerra are not zeroes. I hate to be in a position to defend the Twins' end of the deal, but really, the criticism is way overboard. They didn't deal Santana for a bag of balls; they just didn't get what they probably should have gotten.

Joe (Madison): That wasn't Rickie Weeks stat line was it? If he is anywhere near that next year I will eat my glove.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:40 PM ET ) You should braise it first. Slow cooking is key for tough cuts.

Matt (NY): Did you really just use wins to state the there is little difference between Wang and Santana?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:41 PM ET ) Not wins as in W-L - wins as in production using VORP or pitching runs or similar statistics.

Dan (Hell): How about a projection for the 2009 Top 10?

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:43 PM ET ) Kershaw, Snider, Fernando Martinez, Jennings, McCutchen, Wieters, Wade Davis, Price, Vitters, Triunfel. Candidates to jump to #1 overall would include Martinez, Davis, Price, Wieters, Triunfel, Porcello, maybe Austin Jackson.

Andrew (DC): Hey Keith, just wanted to say I enjoy and appreciate the chats. Thank you.

SportsNation Keith Law: (2:43 PM ET ) You're welcome, and thanks to all of you for coming. See you next week

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:00 pm

Red Sox related questions from his chat:

Jim (NYC): How is it possible that you have Jacoby Ellsbury as the 6th best CF prospect?

Keith Law: (1:17 PM ET ) It's not just possible - it's true!

Ben (Boston): Where the hell is Jed Lowrie on the list? I know you ESPN guys have your New York bias, but come on! Dude is sick!

Keith Law: (1:32 PM ET ) If you can't be bothered to read the whole list, why should I bother answering your question?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
john, fla: is john lester not on your list, did you miss him or is he not a prospect anymore

Keith Law: (1:33 PM ET ) Players who have lost their Rookie of the Year eligibility (130 AB in the majors, 50 IP, or 45 days on a 25-man roster) were not eligible for the list.

Mark (New York):: I never get my comments posted. AJAX or Ellsbury, and have age influence your decision.

Keith Law: (1:49 PM ET ) Ellsbury was higher than Jackson on my list because of probability. Jackson has the higher ceiling.

Dunnie - Boston: I saw you had Lars Anderson raked 28th and I'm hoping you give me some idea who he might compare to and when you think he will arrive in the big leagues. Thanks

Keith Law: (1:59 PM ET ) Probably two years away, should be a patience/power bat who hits 4th or 5th in a big-league lineup.

John, Madison, CT: Did you have Hagadone and Kalish on the just missed list? Too small of a sample to judge?

Keith Law: (2:04 PM ET ) Kalish broke his hamate bone, which can have a lingering effect on a hitter, and I think he's still more of an athlete with some baseball skills than an elite prospect. Hagadone wasn't on the just missed list; Kalish would have been ahead of him.

Brad (Wayne, NJ): What were the top 5 best teams farm systems? Rays, Yanks, Sox?

Keith Law: (2:27 PM ET ) Rays, Rangers, Sox, Yanks, Reds. (Same as BA)

Flemming, Copenhagen, Denmark: Joba shouldn't even be on the list. He should be in a category for himself. He will win the next 15 Cy's. Damn you and your Yankees-bias, KLaw.....

Keith Law: (2:28 PM ET ) You're just mad because I won't answer any Aarhus Aardvarks questions... (I had to...)

Paul (San Francisco): Will Craig Hansen or Daniel Bard ever make this list?

Keith Law: (2:33 PM ET ) Bard is much more likely. I've almost given up hope on Hansen. Bard in the pen could move quickly.

He's also rooting for the Patriots.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:00 pm

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:05 pm

Keith Law’s Top 100 Prospects

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=3221365

RAB fave Keith Law posted his Top 100 Prospects list over at the Worldwide Leader. Five Yankee farmshands made the list, led by Joba at #3, who was also the top ranked pitcher. Jose Tabata (#21), Austin Jackson (#24), IPK (#45) and Andrew Brackman (#100) followed suit. Check it out, if for no other reason than to learn about guys named Weglarz, Gorkys and Chorye.

#

Kevin Goldstein’s list is also out, while Law has Joba at third, Goldstein has him at 4th behind Buchholz, what is this guy thinking? JOBA is way better than Buchholz.

Ivan says:
January 31st, 2008 at 2:11 pm (Reply)

Now you are being a homer.

#
Nefarious Jackson says:
January 31st, 2008 at 2:06 pm (Reply)

Horne????

Mike A. says:
January 31st, 2008 at 2:08 pm (Reply)

I can’t speak for Law, but I know he’s not the biggest Alan Horne fan in the world. I betcha he’s on BA’s Top 100 list though.

#
Yankee Fan in Chicago says:
January 31st, 2008 at 2:19 pm (Reply)

Anyone else surprised to see how high Law is ranking prep kids from the 07 draft?

He has Porcello as the 5th best rh pitching prospect, eg. The kid’s never thrown a pitch as pro as far as I can tell, and is from the baseball poor NE, where it’s unlikely he was facing top talent. And Vitters at #17? Granted he’s very young and has only played 15 games as a pro, but he’s not exactly been hitting.

Joseph P. says:
January 31st, 2008 at 2:41 pm (Reply)

Actually, Porcello is from Dirty Jerz. Went to the same HS as Eric Duncan.

#
Bo says:
January 31st, 2008 at 2:22 pm (Reply)

It’s the best prospects. It doesnt matter when they are signed or drafted.

And porcello from all reports is an ace in the making.
#
Bo says:
January 31st, 2008 at 2:24 pm (Reply)

Joba is better. How is that being a homer?
#
Ivan says:
January 31st, 2008 at 2:33 pm (Reply)

Hey I pick Joba over Buchholz, but I wouldn’t say he’s way better than buchholz.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:06 pm

Top 100 Prospects
The Best of the Best

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7092

Baseball Prospectus is proud to present its Top 100 Prospects list for 2008. Compiled by Kevin Goldstein after months of research and analysis, the list represents the best balance of skills analysis and performance analysis in the industry.

For expanded commentary on all 100 players and many more, pick up Baseball Prospectus 2008, available at Amazon.com now and in bookstores nationwide at the end of February.

Ask Kevin about his rankings Thursday afternoon at 1 p.m. ET!

1. Jay Bruce, of, Reds
2. Clay Buchholz, rhp, Red Sox
3. Evan Longoria, 3b, Rays
4. Joba Chamberlain, rhp, Yankees
5. Clayton Kershaw, lhp, Dodgers
6. David Price, lhp, Rays
7. Travis Snider, of, Blue Jays
8. Colby Rasmus, of, Cardinals
9. Homer Bailey, rhp, Reds
10. Cameron Maybin, of, Marlins
11. Rick Porcello, rhp, Tigers
12. Matt Wieters, c, Orioles
13. Franklin Morales, lhp, Rockies
14. Andy LaRoche, 3b, Dodgers
15. Wade Davis, rhp, Rays
16. Jacoby Ellsbury, of, Red Sox
17. Jordan Schafer, of, Braves
18. Desmond Jennings, of, Rays
19. Mike Moustakas, ss, Royals
20. Jarrod Parker, rhp, Diamondbacks
21. Joey Votto, 1b, Reds
22. Daric Barton, 1b, Athletics
23. Chase Headley, 3b, Padres
24. Andrew McCutchen, of, Pirates
25. Reid Brignac, ss, Rays
26. Carlos Gonzalez, of, Athletics
27. Nick Adenhart, rhp, Angels
28. Chris Marrero, of/1b, Nationals
29. Angel Villalona, 3b, Giants
30. Neftali Feliz, rhp, Rangers
31. Matt LaPorta, of, Brewers
32. Chin-Lung Hu, ss, Dodgers
33. Jeff Clement, c, Mariners
34. Ian Kennedy, rhp, Yankees
35. Ross Detwiler, rhp, Nationals
36. Jason Heyward, of, Braves
37. Geovany Soto, c, Cubs
38. Brandon Wood, 3b/ss, Angels
39. Matt Antonelli, 2b, Padres
40. Jacob McGee, lhp, Devil Rays
41. Johnny Cueto, rhp, Reds
42. Manny Parra, lhp, Brewers
43. Steven Pearce, 1b, Pirates
44. Chris Tillman, rhp, Mariners
45. Josh Vitters, 3b, Cubs
46. Fautino de los Santos, rhp, Athletics
47. Austin Jackson, of, Yankees
48. Jose Tabata, of, Yankees
49. Eric Hurley, rhp, Rangers
50. Brett Anderson, lhp, Athletics
51. Fernando Martinez, of, Mets
52. Adam Miller, rhp, Indians
53. Justin Masterson, rhp, Red Sox
54. J.R. Towles, c, Astros
55. Carlos Triunfel, ss, Mariners
56. Gio Gonzalez, lhp, Athletics
57. Jed Lowrie, ss, Red Sox
58. Elvis Andrus, ss, Rangers
59. Jordan Walden, rhp, Angels
60. Ryan Kalish, of, Red Sox
61. Matt Latos, rhp, Padres
62. Engel Beltre, of, Rangers
63. Brent Lillibridge, ss, Braves
64. Gerardo Parra, of, Diamondbacks
65. Carlos Gomez, of, Twins
66. Scott Elbert, lhp, Dodgers
67. Alan Horne, rhp, Yankees
68. Carlos Carrasco, rhp, Phillies
69. Chris Perez, rhp, Cardinals
70. Brandon Jones, of, Braves
71. Bryan Anderson, c, Cardinals
72. Luke Hochevar, rhp, Royals
73. Michael Main, rhp, Rangers
74. Chris Davis, 3b, Rangers
75. Chorye Spoone, rhp, Orioles
76. Jeremy Jeffress, rhp, Brewers
77. Taylor Teagarden, c, Rangers
78. Wes Hodges, 3b, Indians
79. Deolis Guerra, rhp, Twins
80. Chris Nelson, ss, Rockies
81. Michael Burgess, of, Nationals
82. Greg Reynolds, rhp, Rockies
83. Gorkys Hernandez, of, Braves
84. Henry Sosa, rhp, Giants
85. Radhames Liz, rhp, Orioles
86. Jair Jurrjens, rhp, Braves
87. Aaron Poreda, lhp, White Sox
88. Chris Volstad, rhp, Marlins
89. Hank Conger, c, Angels
90. Max Scherzer, rhp, Diamondbacks
91. Casey Weathers, rhp, Rockies
92. Dexter Fowler, of, Rockies
93. Wladimir Balentien, of, Mariners
94. Neil Walker, 3b, Pirates
95. Michael Bowden, rhp, Red Sox
96. Joe Savery, lhp, Phillies
97. Ben Revere, of, Twins
98. Trevor Cahill, rhp, Athletics
99. Chris Carter, 1b, Athletics
100. Lars Anderson, 1b, Red Sox

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:11 pm

Here's version Baseball Prospectus Anti- Yankee Kevin Goldstein Top 100 Prospects

The Best of the Best

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7092

#4 Joba Chamberlain,

#34. Ian Kennedy

# 47. Austin Jackson

#48. Jose Tabata

#67. Alan Horne, rhp, Yankees

Redsox Prospects

#2. Clay Buchholz

#16 Jacoby Ellsbury

#53 Justin Masterson

#57 Jed Lowrie

#60 Ryan Kalish

#95 Michael Bowden

#100. Lars Anderson

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Matt (Brooklyn): The rumor is out there that Minnesota called the Yankees before accepting the Mets offer and said Melky, Kennedy, and a prospect would get the deal done. True? And if so, why not? Kennedy will never be a top 2 starter and Melky's value is a little inflated right now, no?

Keith Law: (1:17 PM ET ) I was told that that offer from the Twins was Melky, Kennedy, and some pitcher named Wang. I haven't confirmed that with anyone in the Bronx, but if that's true, I would agree that Cashman should have turned it down.

Ridiculous.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next