Morgan Ensberg Signs With Yankees

Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:46 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

According to a source, the Yankees have signed Morgan Ensberg. They'll use him at first base (and maybe off the bench). Not sure if it's a minor or Major League deal. Jerry Crasnick confirms it, noting that the Rays and Giants expressed interest.

Ensberg, 32, hit .231/.320/.404 for the Astros and Padres in '07. He earned $4.35MM, and the Padres non-tendered him in December. The Astros had designated him for assignment in July after acquiring Ty Wigginton. Ensberg has not been the same since seriously bruising his shoulder in June of '06.

This is a can't miss signing, move over Santana, Ensberg is coming to the Yanks!

Posted by: Dave4G4e | January 31, 2008 at 02:39 PM

Ensberg and Lane? Fallen '05 Astros seem to move together in packs!

Basically a zero risk signing for a team like the Yankees, but I'm surprised Ensberg wouldn't try to hitch on with a team that might have a little more playing time available.

Posted by: mymrbig | January 31, 2008 at 02:53 PM

I'll bet that at least one of Lane/Ensberg either misses the roster for Opening Day or is released by the end of May.

Posted by: JD | January 31, 2008 at 02:56 PM

Ensberg in, Phillips out is a net win for the Yankees.

Posted by: Not Joe Morgan | January 31, 2008 at 02:57 PM

Dallas McPherson to the Marlins

Posted by: zito4cyyoung | January 31, 2008 at 03:02 PM

zito4cyyoung, are you the only person in the world who likes Barry Zito?

Posted by: johansantana17 | January 31, 2008 at 03:13 PM

And, by the way, Ensberg was a major beast a few years ago.

Posted by: johansantana17 | January 31, 2008 at 03:13 PM

why bother? why not just let Shelly Duncan have 1B?

Posted by: maximumpotential | January 31, 2008 at 03:25 PM

No your mom appreciates him too!

Posted by: zito4cyyoung | January 31, 2008 at 03:30 PM

Woohoo...I wanted him badly as a platoon partner for Betemit when ARod was gone. And still get him.

He has also played SS. I would not mind having him as a utility man at all. He can still hit lefties very well.

He could even pinch hit for Damon against tough lefties.

If they keep 13 hitters, do they have room for him?

C - Posada, Molina
IF - ARod, Jeter, Cano, Giambi, Duncan, Betemit, Ensberg
OF - Matsui, Damon, Cabrera, Abreu

The only other one would be Alberto Gonzalez...

I like it.

Posted by: bobo | January 31, 2008 at 03:34 PM

Im just glad Ensberg is out of the National League, scary player, im glad he is not on any other team in the national league west. ;p

Posted by: hitttman | January 31, 2008 at 03:42 PM

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Morgan Ensberg Signs With Yankees

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:24 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3224591

Its a minor league deal.

The versatility isn't a huge deal to me, because its likely we'd always have someone who could play 1st and allow Betemit to move around. Obviously, it'd be nice to have, but in an emergency we could go to so many options that we'd probably be fine

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:29 pm

QUOTE(RedSoxinIsrael @ Jan 31 2008, 03:39 PM) *
MLBtraderumors.com so far, I'll look for a link.

Can’t say that this news pleases me at all; in fact, I had thought Ensberg might make a good Lowell replacement going into this off season. Ensberg is only a season removed from an OPS+ of 120 and 2 seasons away from a season with an OPS+ of 144. Additionally, I always felt that his level of suck last season might have had to do with him not getting regular at bats with the Astros. For the right amount of money, this is a very good move.

Don't they already have a 3B?
He has played one career game at 1B.

If he can play the position then he could be a solid platoon guy, he mashes LHP.

My guess is he'll enter the mix at 1b/DH/PH. A pretty solid pick up for the yankees. I don't think the money matters too much since I'm sure it won't be an outrageous contract, and the difference of even a few million(though I'm sure it's not that high) isn't much to the yankees.

This is a good pickup for the Yankees.

If I were a Phillies fan, I'd be wondering what kind of fool GM gives a two-year, $8.5 million contract to Pedro Feliz when he could have had a better player for much less money in Ensberg.

Come June -- when Feliz is sporting a .280 OBP and JC Romero has an ERA above 6.00 -- there are going to be a lot of calls in Philly for Gillick's head. Bank on it.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:30 pm

"Ensberg could be a nice surprise, its really a no-risk medium-reward signing as I've read in other posts on other sites and I totally agree. The way Kevin Long has turned Cabrera and Cano into dangerous hitters as well as making Arod even more dangerous, I could see the former All-Star benefiting a lot from this transition as well as the Yankees. "

AROD was already one of the most feared hitters, before Kevin Long joined the Yankees. Kevin Long is a good batting coach, but Cano's batting average dipped from 06. I don't think Kevin Long turned Cano into anything more dangerous, considering Cano did miss 38 more games in 06 than in 07. His stats would probably be the same. Only thing better about Cano is he is taking more walks, and has stopped chasing bad pitches.

good pickup. sounds like the mienkevieiroeeiurwe signing last year. maybe Ensberg can stay healthy and I can spell his name. The Yanks need a young catcher and a young first baseman. Other than that they look pretty good.

Ensberg is also a former all-star, he knows how to play the game. All I'm saying is that Long can't hurt, might even help, as the best hitter in baseball swears by him. And as ARod has personally admitted, Long helped ARod turn the corner as a hitter into THE most feared hitter. No problem in giving him a shot.

As a Sox fan, this news is thrilling. Really, Morgan Ensberg...that's it. I still think the Yankees have a killer lineup, but how is this a headline. This guy couldn't hit in the NL, and we're supposed to believe that he's gonna make a splash in the AL.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Prospect lists ... a whole lot of fun

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=neyer_rob

My favorite thing about winter is having the time to read something other than box scores. My second favorite thing about winter is prospect lists. Today Baseball Prospectus released Kevin Goldstein's annual Top 100 Prospects. As it happens, I've also got John Sickels' prepublication lists -- from his forthcoming annual -- and I enjoy comparing the lists (Sickels separates his, top 50 hitters and top 50 pitchers).

Goldstein and Sickels both have Cincinnati's Jay Bruce and Tampa Bay's Evan Longoria as the No. 1 and No. 2 hitting prospects. Sickels has St. Louis' Colby Rasmus No. 3 and Goldstein has him No. 4. But Goldstein's No. 3 is Toronto's Travis Snider, who Sickels has all the way down at No. 23. Sickels' No. 4 is Cincinnati's Joey Votto, who Goldstein has all the way down at No. 12. Goldstein has Kansas City's Mike Moustakas at No. 11; Sickels has him at 26.

While both analysts pay a great deal of attention to both performance and (supposed) potential (i.e. tools), I suspect that Sickels tilts just a bit toward performance, Goldstein just a bit toward tools. I'd love to see a backward-looking analysis of their picks, but of course that's problematic because (1) you'd need to look back four or five years, and (2) in the intervening years they might have changed their approaches somewhat, which limits the utility of your findings.

NEWSFLASH
I see that our own Keith Law has just posted his list, too. I see that he's right in line with the other guys on Longoria, Bruce, and Rasmus (though he's got Longoria and Bruce flipped). And he's got Snider No. 4 among hitters. But Law doesn't track right along with Goldstein; he's got Moustakas all the way down at No. 31 (among hitters). It's inappropriate for me to analyze Law's work any further. Suffice to say, his list is just as legitimate as any other you'll find.

Anyway, when I look at these lists I'm looking for extremes. Which teams have the most names? Which have the fewest?

• The Reds don't have a lot of prospects ... but the ones they've got are outstanding. In addition to Bruce and Votto, of course, they've also got right-hander Homer Bailey. I know the Reds are sort of a hip pick to surprise us in 2008, probably because of their kids. But as often as kids surprise us in a good way, they surprise us in a bad way. And it'll probably be another two or three seasons before all of Cincinnati's kids play well together.

• The Royals are also supposedly a team on the come, and they do have two excellent young hitters in the majors. But those guys aren't going to be enough, and otherwise the organization is terribly short of good young players. We've already seen that opinions about Moustakas differ, and anyway at Class A he's a few years away from helping the big club. He's the only Royal among Sickels' top 50 hitting prospects, and among his top 50 pitchers, only Luke Hochevar appears. And he's all the way down at No. 44. Same with Goldstein's overall list: Moustakas No. 11 among hitters, Hochevar No. 29 among pitchers. Essentially, the Royals have two of the 100 (or so) best prospects, which doesn't seem like nearly enough.

• Similarly, the Indians have some work to do. Ideally, the franchise will compensate for the likely departure of C.C. Sabathia with young talent, as that's the way cash-poor organizations are supposed to remain relevant. But like the Royals, the Indians have only two guys on Goldstein's list, and they're pretty far down: No. 52 is righty Adam Miller, No. 78 is third baseman Wes Hodges. Sickels has Miller No. 33 among pitchers and adds lefty Chuck Lofgren at 42, but doesn't have Hodges among his top 50 hitters. You know how rarely Grade B pitching prospects become good major league pitchers.

• But wait, it gets worse: the Giants have only two names on Goldstein's list. The Giants, who haven't developed a good young hitter since ... Rich Aurilia, maybe? The only hitter here is third baseman Angel Villalona, at 29 (19 among hitters). Sickels has him considerably farther down, at No. 36 among hitters. If you're a Giants fan, I'm sorry to be the bearer of more bad tidings, but I'm afraid you're going to be looking up at everybody else in the West for a long, long time.

• And then there are the five teams with only one prospect among Goldstein's Hot 100: the Astros, the Blue Jays, the Mets, the Tigers and the White Sox.

Those latter two teams do have a pretty good excuse: this winter they traded some of their best men to immediately bolster their 25-man rosters.

The Mets, believe it or not, have just one top 100 prospect before completing their trade for Johan Santana. But of course they can spend their way out of that mess (though as the Yankees have proved and may prove again in 2008, even a super-rich team can occasionally benefit from a super-cheap player).

The Blue Jays and the Astros, though?

When J.P. Ricciardi took over as Toronto's GM in 2001, he radically reconstructed his scouting and player development departments. I was right behind him all the way. But this is it? Travis Snider and Brett Cecil (No. 29 on Sickels' list of pitchers)? Sickels also gives letter grades to all the prospects in his book. Snider and Cecil both get B+'s. Third baseman Kevin Ahrens gets a B-. And that's it; no A's, three B's and a whole bunch of C's, most of them pitchers whose fame will never extend past mentions by Sickels and Baseball America.

The Astros are in the same spot, with only catcher J.R. Towles -- No. 32 among Sickels' hitters, No. 54 on Goldstein's overall -- making any sort of dent. Not a good sign as they try to avoid challenging the Pirates for last place.

And yes, here I go again, accentuating the negative. But of course there is a flip side: on Goldstein's list, three teams are tied for top honors with seven prospects: the Red Sox, the Rangers and the Athletics. But I think the Rays actually win this contest, because while they've got "only" six on the list, five are way up there: Longoria (3), lefty David Price (6), righty Wade Davis (15), outfielder Desmond Jennings and shortsop Reid Brignac. Even their last guy, lefty Jacob McGee, is No. 40 (and he's fifth, right behind Price, among Sickels' top pitchers). The Yankees are also loaded, relative to most clubs. You want some straight talk? That's a tough division, my friends.

I think that's enough for now. I sure do like lists. Dig in and have fun.

Correction: I wrote that the Mets had only one prospect on Goldstein's list before the (pending) Santana trade, but that's not true. I conducted a faulty search (for "Mets" rather than "Twins") and thus I missed Carlos Gomez (No. 65) and Delios Guerra (79). Which makes the Mets look better and the Twins wors

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:42 am

Interesting. You’d think that Ensberg could have landed a major league job somewhere else but I guess he has always dreamed of putting on those Scranton/Wilkes-Barre pinstripes. No but seriously, this is just incase Shelley Duncan doesn’t pan out, correct? When you look at it, Morgan Ensberg and Shelley Duncan have the same skill set [aside from BB/SO and positions] in that they are both lefty mashers who are meh against RHP. Would it be wise to carry both of them on the same bench?

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:48 am

Some Twins notes

http://nc.startribune.com/blogs/neal/

Thursday, January 31st, 2008

Despite this development, we expect the Mets and Johan Santana to eventually agree on a contract and end this mess.

Just emptying the notebook today….

Carlos Gomez has 141 days of service time, which means he’ll reach super-2 arbitration status if he’s on the major league roster for all of 2008 and 2009.

To qualify as a Super 2, a player must have accumulated at least 86 days of service in the previous year. (A year of service is 172 days. The historical cutoff point for Super 2 status is 2 years, 128 days of service, though the requirement has been as high as 2 years, 140 days.) (This was blatantly stolen from another website!)

Jesse Crain said during TwinsFest that his shoulder felt great and planned to start throwing breaking balls this week. Crain had surgery on his labrum and rotator cuff last year but stressed that he didn’t have complete tears and expects to be ready by Opening Day. Still it will be interesting to monitor his velo in camp.

The Twins intentionally paired Delmon Young and Michael Cuddyer for some TwinsFest appearances. Let the mentoring begin….

Dmitri Young, by the way, was in town last weekend (I don’t know why) and took his little brother out.

Corey Koskie stopped by TwinsFest and said he was going to start working out this week. This is an important time for Koskie, who hasn’t played since July 2006 because of postconcussion syndrome suffered while chasing a fly ball.

He said if he’s not in a position to join a club by midseason, he’ll retire.

The Twins are kicking around signing a veteran starter for the back end of the rotation. Josh Fogg and John Thomson are possibilities. They may just hand the keys to the kids.

Guess who Carlos Gomez’s agent is? Scott Boras.

One more thing…The Twins have 39 spots filled on their 40-man. Santana will come off to make it 38. Only Gomez and Humber have to go on this year, so the Twins have space.

Another thing…uniform numbers! Place your orders now!!!

Delmon Young - 21

Brendan Harris - 23

Adam Everett - 12

Mike Lamb - 24

Craig Monroe - 27

Humber wore 49 for the Mets last year, which I think is available if he makes the team. Gomez wore 27, so he might have to change if he and Monore make the team….

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 am

Jan 31, 2008 9:00 pm - Minors: Law’s Top 100 Prospects

http://www.metsblog.com/

...posted by Jordan Zakarin...

Keith Law, of ESPN.com and Scouts Inc., unveiled his Top 100 Prospects List yesterday, which is available right now as a free preview at ESPN.com Insider.

After trading four of their top prospects to Minnesota for Johan Santana, the Mets were one of five teams to have just one prospect make the cut: OF Fernando Martinez, who checks in as the tenth-best prospect in Law’s rankings.

Law, waving off people unimpressed with Martinez’s injury-plagued numbers at Double A this past season, writes:

“Martinez shows huge raw power in BP that will make its way into his game performances, and he has a solid approach with good pitch recognition for someone so young. He has good range in center and a plus arm if he outgrows center field and has to move to right… He’s going to be a star, but everyone has to bear in mind how young he is to keep his performance in perspective.”

Of the players the Mets sent to the Twins, two made Law’s list: OF Carlos Gomez was ranked 35th, while Deolis Guerra, a 19-year old right hander, checked in at 80th.

…i still don’t know how the Mets managed to keep martinez, to be honest…for some perspective, the three Red Sox prospects mentioned in potential deals with Minnesota all made the list, while Yankees RHP Phil Hughes wasn’t eligible…

…all these prospects list make me wonder, why do we rank prospects so eagerly when the comparison is so subjective and unscientific given different ages and levels of experience and relies so much on scouts…aside from MVP voting, we rarely rank major leaguers?…it would seem to be a lot more scientific and easy to do, given that they’re all competing at the same level, spending time in the same ballparks…prospect ranking is more like setting gambling odds, in my eyes…

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:07 am

Mets, Santana making progress
Sides about $20 million apart with deadline looming

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/01/31/santana.negotiations/index.html

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The New York Mets and Johan Santana's agent are making progress on a multi-year contract that's likely to guarantee him about $150 million, according to people familiar with the talks. With Friday's 5 p.m. ET deadline approaching, the sides are believed to be more than $20 million apart, but high-ranking baseball people believe the deal is all but certain to get done.

One person with knowledge of the talks pegged a recent Mets offer at about $21.5 million per year over six years on top of the $13.25 million salary Santana's already guaranteed for 2008, bringing the total package to $142.25 million.

It is believed Santana has been seeking a deal closer to $170 million total. The Mets had been hopeful to lure Santana with a five-year offer but Santana's side gained significant leverage after the Mets made what is seen as a favorable trade to acquire him.

Baseball people believe they can't fail to sign him. "It has to get done," one baseball executive said.

Said another exec, "The Mets can't walk away."

Any new deal for Santana was expected to set a record for pitchers, surpassing the seven-year, $126 million contract Barry Zito got from the San Francisco Giants last offseason.

New York has the resources to offer such a salary. The Mets drew 3.85 million fans last season, they have their own regional sports network and plan to move into a new ballpark in 2009. Still, the team would undoubtedly like to avoid going over the luxury threshold this year.

For purposes of the luxury tax, the Mets' payroll stands at $114.2 million for 20 signed players, including $10 million in benefits. Add in midpoints for the four players remaining in arbitration, and it's up to $125.1 million.

Figuring in the addition of Santana at more than $20 million, several players making close to the minimum $390,000 and 10 or so on option to the minor leagues, and the Mets' payroll will approach the $155 million luxury tax threshold this year.

Last year, only the Yankees ($207.7 million) and Boston Red Sox ($163.2 million) were over the luxury tax threshold. For the tax, payrolls are calculated using average annual values.

As for regular payroll, the Mets are at $107.7 million. The payroll increases to $118.7 million when adding in the arbitration players at their midpoints.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down