Note: Pedro wants to Pitch Beyond 2008

Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:53 am

Quote:

http://www.metsblog.com/2008/02/01/note-pedro-wants-to-pitch-beyond-2008/#comments

In a report for the New York Post, citing the player’s agent, Pedro Martinez wants to play beyond 2008, “As long as he’s able to pitch without the discomfort and the pain.”

Martinez will be a free agent at the end of next season.

In five starts during September last season, Martinez was 3–1 with a 2.57 ERA during which he struck out 32 batters and walked just seven through 28 innings pitched.

…it was such a painful month, i often forget just how good he was…

Yesterday at his blog for Newsday, David Lennon pointed out that he is the only one, out of a few baseball writers who he spoke with recently, who believes Martinez will win at least 15 games this season.

…well, based on what pedro did in September, while factoring in a hiccup here and there, he should win 15 games…the question is: can he duplicate that performance from last season, and can he be healthy and consistent…all of which remain to be seen

Give him 2 year extension 14 million per

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Note: Pedro wants to Pitch Beyond 2008

Post  RedMagma on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:54 am

Mets must break the bank

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster

posted: Friday, February 1, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry
filed under: MLB

The Detroit Tigers drafted and signed super prospect Rick Porcello to a record-setting contract last summer because -- how can we put this politely? -- they ignored the commissioner's office. Signing guidelines had been issued to all 30 teams, a non-binding suggestion sent with an implied glare: You'd better stay in line, boys, for the sake of the confederation.

The Tigers just didn't care about all that, and they went ahead and did what they thought was best for their franchise.

There have been actually instances in which the Yankees, under the Steinbrenner rule, have taken a wide-lensed view and tried to not obliterate monetary benchmarks, but mostly, the Yankees have been aggressive and spent freely. They became the first team to take their payroll over $200 million, and every year, they pay huge sums in revenue sharing and luxury tax, as a result. Others in the industry think the Yankees could've signed A-Rod for much less than the $300-million plus they have guaranteed him, but the Yankees decided what Rodriguez meant to their franchise and gave him the biggest contract in history.

The Red Sox mostly work within the lines, but sometimes step outside the dictums of the commissioner's office. A few other teams have done so, as well, but most teams won't break ranks -- until they see other teams breaking ranks (see the '07 draft).

But the Mets have almost always honored the commissioner office's wishes for fiscal modesty. They have a thriving franchise, play in New York, spend a healthy amount of money, but they have rarely pressed against the imaginary ceilings.

And now they are in a situation in which they figure to obliterate all previous salary standards for pitchers. Before the Johan Santana negotiations began, the largest package ever doled out to a pitcher was the $126 million, seven-year deal given to Barry Zito, and the highest annual average salary in a multi-year deal was $18.3 million, negotiated by Carlos Zambrano's agent last summer.

Santana has arguably the most leverage of any player in baseball history. He already has banked tens of millions of dollars, and if he walked away from the Mets' negotiations, he likely would get an enormous offer from the Yankees or Red Sox in free agency next fall; both those teams balked at the idea of trading players for him and then paying him a record-setting deal, but they would not be reluctant about bidding aggressively on him as a free agent.

The Mets, on the other hand, desperately need Santana. They must offer him, by far, the highest salary for any pitcher, and by far the largest package. The Mets have been good citizens, in the eyes of the commissioner's office, honoring the guidelines in the past, but in this case, I don't think they really have any choice. They must color outside the lines, even if it makes baseball executives go cross-eyed.

• The Mets are optimistic about signing Johan Santana, writes Ben Shpigel, with the final price tag probably around $150 million. It'll get done, folks are telling Anthony McCarron.

Santana's agent is likely to take this process down to the deadline, writes Ken Davidoff.

The Twins have been told that the Santana negotiations are going slowly, writes La Velle Neal. They're waiting to hear about the resolution of this in Minnesota, writes Phil Miller.

• If the Twins pitching is a problem this year, you can blame it on … Carlos Silva, writes Jim Souhan. He explains that Silva's contract jumbled the free-agent market.

• Wrote yesterday on our Web site about the holdup in the Erik Bedard deal. Dan Connolly thinks the Orioles should get this deal done.

PED ZONE
• Jim Murray, who works for Roger Clemens's agents, was interviewed by federal investigators.

I am in upstate New York, staying with the family of my sister, who is among the last three people in the world to insist on keeping her horse and buggy, her rotary phone, her collection of Lawrence Welk 8-tracks, and her dial-up Internet account. It took me 12 or 23 hours to download the links above. I'm hoping I can convince her to move into the 21st century sometime today, before I file tomorrow's blog.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:02 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/sports/baseball/01cashman.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&ref=baseball&oref=slogin

The Yankees would have traded Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and Jeff Marquez for Santana on Dec. 2, but the Twins asked for Ian Kennedy, too. The Yankees said no, and the next morning, Andy Pettitte announced that he would return to the team.

The Yankees soon pulled their offer and never made another, resisting again Tuesday when Minnesota asked for Cabrera, Kennedy, Marquez and Chien-Ming Wang. Cashman has made his stand, and Santana may be across town to remind him of what might have been.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:11 am

Friday filberts

Just a few random items while wondering if all that stuff we wrote about Santana is moot ...

• Home Run Derby offers two video clips of the Cubs' new right fielder. This guy can throw.

• Dugout Central's Steve Caimano takes a machete to the Clemens Report and gets to hacking.

• Speaking of which, I'm afraid I'm a little late posting Sean Cunningham's timeline of the Rocket's sage quotes over the years. My favorite:

Clemens is traded to the New York Yankees and quickly realizes he loves his new team so much he announces he will only permit the Hall of Fame to induct him if allowed to enter as a Yankee: "I play 20 years, work my tail off, they're not going to tell me what hat I'm wearing. I promise you that. There might be a vacant seat there. I'll take my mother and we'll go to Palm Springs and invite all y'all and we'll have our own celebration." Because Roger Clemens' mother + Palm Springs = Par-tay!

• ShysterBall takes the umpires/KKK/MLB story and puts it exactly where it belongs.

• Do chicks dig the long ball? I don't have the slightest idea. I sure hope not, because I'm sick of that line (and also because I'm a singles hitter). But THT's David Gassko finds that somebody sure does like home runs.

• Jesse Spector takes a good look at the players who, one year ago, were said to have been in the best shape of their lives.

• Russ McQueen's essay about a great pitcher has nothing to do with the Hall of Fame. It's just a great baseball story.

• What's that? You don't think professional sports is interesting? Obviously you're wrong; it's very interesting.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down