Bonds doesn't have the guts like Pettite to say that He use

Go down

Bonds doesn't have the guts like Pettite to say that He use

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:00 pm

Bonds doesn't have the guts like Pettite to say that He use Steriods.. Mr Bonds kept saying He's unknowingly didn't know wha stuff He put in his body? Who's a phony now?

Andy Pettite has admitted briefly using Hgh during 2002

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/wires/12/15/2010.ap.bbo.pettitte.hgh.admission.0117/

NEW YORK (AP) - Andy Pettitte used human growth hormone to recover from an elbow injury in 2002, the New York Yankees pitcher said two days after he was cited in the Mitchell Report.

Pettitte said he tried HGH on two occasions.

"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize,'' Pettitte said Saturday in a statement released by his agent. "I accept responsibility for those two days.''

Andy Pettitte has been lied about all day in the media, newspaper reporters lumping him in with the 2000 results when his alleged behavior wasn’t until 2002. Yet the writers don’t make that distinction, and at least one, a former regular in the Yankee radio booth will be warmly welcomed back for spot appearances with alleged expert commentary. Chris Russo many times said Andy took steroids, gave vague reference to the date and bunched him in with the dynasty years. Supposed Yankee fan or at least an intelligent broadcaster, Francesa sat there and didn’t correct him, at least all the hours I heard. HGH is not steroids, and 2002 on the DL isn’t the so-called championship years. Rob Dibble and Kevin Kennedy on the other hand called the report ‘a publicity stunt’ for the benefit of those who paid for it. (Actually, didn’t Yankee fans pay for it out of the slush fund of luxury tax we pay them)? Buster Olney on XM was also critical of the manner in which the names were made public. Which is nice, except Andy’s life has been ruined, and people continue to lie about him all day without fear of consequence.

He took HGH in 2002 when rehabbing for an injury.

HGH was not illegal in 2002.OK. It is time all the idiots who are driving this issue out of control to stop. Steroids are one thing,but HGH is another. Bottom line,if HGH is good to help recover from injuries,where is the harm? If it's used for healing,there is nothing wrong. We just need a new witch-hunt is all. I believe that this whole thing,including the Mitchell report was mishandled,and quite stupid. They claim that they don't want the kids to think that these things are OK,yet noone would have had a clue about this if it weren't Jose "The RAT" Conseco,and the stupid Mitchell report. Nobody suspected Roger Clemens OR Andy Pettite. NOW, thanks to Mitchell, the kids that admired them for their ON-FIELD play know they were using banned substances.

Another thing is, Pettite used HGH in 2002. MLB didn't ban HGH til 2005. SO, if it was three years before it was banned, Pettite broke no rules. If Selig suspends him over this, I will be done with baseball for as long as that moron is the commish. he has turned a blind eye for years,and now that it has been exposed,all of a sudden he wants to rush into "righting the wrongs." Bottom line is, if all you irresponsible journalists weren't so eager to get your stupid story that you don't care to ruin lives and reputations,kids would have never known these guys were doing the 'roids or the HGH. WBreaking Newant to blame someone for the effects on kids? Blame yourselves,sports reporters. What is wrong with allowing athletes a little privacy? Is that too much to ask?

Hgh use for for aging and to recover from an injury .

The whole report is a disgrace. To top it off, Boston fans are acting like NY teams were the only ones that used PEDs. Meanwhile, the two biggest darlings in recent Red Sox history were users and everyone knows it. Of course, as a Director of the Red Sox and a person on the payroll, there is no way Mitchell would point a finger at Ortiz and Nomar. The crazy thing is Ortiz even admitted it last year in an interview. Really no surprise that Mitchell would go hard after Clemens since every Boston fan hates him.

Unimpressed with the Yankees 2000 Title? this is exactly why there is an issue with the report. People make assumptions and lump everything into one thing.

1. According to the report, Pettite didn't start taking HGH until his 2002 season.
2. According to the report, Knoblauch didn't start using until 2001. If I recall, the Yankees didn't win in 2001.
3. According to the report, Justice "ALLEGEDLY" used HGH in 2001
4. Clemens was the only one mentioned to used roids in 2000 and if you are going to say that he reaped the benefits for those shut out innings, you better be prepare to justify him getting bombed by oakland as well.

From Ny DailyNews

“I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow. I felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible," Pettitte said. "For this reason, and only this reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. Though it was not against baseball rules, I was not comfortable with what I was doing, so I stopped.

“This is it - two days out of my life; two days out of my entire career, when I was injured and on the disabled list.

Dr. Gary Wadler, a steroids expert and a World Anti-Doping Agency advisor, said Pettitte’s explanation doesn’t pass muster. Human growth hormone is approved by the FDA for limited uses such as dwarfism in children, AIDS wasting or pituitary deficiencies.

“HGH should only be prescribed by a doctor; it is a highly controlled drug and one of the few that can’t be prescribed for off-label uses,” Wadler said. “It has very limited legit uses. An elbow injury would not be a government-approved use of human growth hormone.”

Wadler also said two days’ use wouldn’t help. “And if this was prescribed by a doctor or trainer, that person could be charged,” Wadler said. “If self-prescribed, Pettitte could be charged.”

In a statement issued by his agent, Randy Hendricks, Pettitte acknowledged using HGH in 2002 to help him recover from an elbow injury, though he said his usage was limited to two days during a stint on the disabled list.

“I had heard that human growth hormone could promote faster healing for my elbow. I felt an obligation to get back to my team as soon as possible," Pettitte said. "For this reason, and only this reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. Though it was not against baseball rules, I was not comfortable with what I was doing, so I stopped.

“This is it - two days out of my life; two days out of my entire career, when I was injured and on the disabled list.

“If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize. I accept responsibility for those two days. Everything else written or said about me knowingly using illegal drugs is nonsense, wrong and hurtful. I have the utmost respect for baseball and have always tried to live my life in a way that would be honorable. I wasn’t looking for an edge; I was looking to heal."

THIS Mitchell REPORT IS A BIASED PIECE OF GARBAGE.
I have learned that there is nothing as sacred as a director’s fiduciary duty to his company. Basically put, a director has the duty to act in his company’s best interests NO MATTER WHAT. Even if Mitchell didnt actually leave off any Red Sox or give undue attention to Yankees, the fact that he was allowed to do this report was a load of crap.
Mitchell was a senator at one time but in recent past he has been one thing and one thing only… a business man. This is the same guy that was the chariman of the Walt Disney Corporation. I cant even imagine what his salary was there, but i would guess that with salary and stock options, this guy could have taken home around $100 million. Anyone familiar with business will tell you that is no exaggeration.

If he were to name a Red Sox player like Many or Big Papi he would risk losing his position as director of the Sox… something I am sure he is compensated for lucratively. So go ahead, think I am crazy for saying all this. But let me leave you with this point… Is it any wonder that Manny’s two worst years ever have come AFTER the implimentation of steroids testing???

How many of you knew HGH was a problem back in 2002? I didn't. My Friend offered it to me. He was taking it & obtaining it through mail order with no problem. It wasn't a steroid so I imagine a lot of people thought it was fine for the use Pettitte describe.

Baseball offered no guidelines for HGH so the sanctimonious, holier-than- though condemnations are just hillarious . . & pathetic.

Pettitte DID say IF what he did is wrong. How can he say "if?!" If doing illegal drugs is wrong, I apologize. If you want to come clean, do it.

It was probably mentioned before, but this is a lot like the Rodney Harrison dilemma. .Should Yankees released Pettite from his contract now now Pettite admitted using Hgh for two occasion during 2002 season?

I think he was a MAN and stepped up and said Yes I took it and I am sorry. Geez that is more than any of the other athletes are doing. GIVE THE MAN SOME CREDIT crap you people are unbelievable. If they say nothing you think wow he is guilty can't even say anything to help his case. If they say something you go after him.... I would go through my agent too with a bunch of fickle a*** people as yourselves.
I think he should be penalized for what he did .. they will not banned .. we know that. But he should either be suspended for a few games or money should be taken from him. He should not get away with what he did.

It's hard to say he's a cheater when he used HGH for 2 days for an injury.

He's lost no respect from me. Still one of my favorite Yankees ever. I'm just glad that he's got this out there.

first of all, let’s apply some common sense. If there’s no performance-enhancing benefit, then it’s absurd to associate HGH w/steroids. And if there’s no performance-enhancing benefit, and if it only perhaps enhances healing, then why exactly am i supposed to support a taxpayer-funder witch hunt against healing? it seems Kafkaesque.

It just seems un-American for the federal gov’t to intrude on private medical decisions. the federal gov’t also spends my tax money busting people with cancer who smoke pot to deal w/their situation; so the fact that the federal gov’t does it doesn’t provide any moral basis to the discussion - unless I guess you think it’s moral to have the DEA attack cancer patients!

I’m confident I am on a solid basis for this - there is nothing in the U.S. Constution that gives the federal government the right to regulate one’s right to choose a form of healing. If it’s a privelege granted to the gov’t by the Constitution, then as per the much-neglected 10th Amendment, it ain’t the federal government’s business. Here’s the 10th Amendnent:

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

. Until 2005, when baseball labeled HGH as a PED, it was no different than any other drug that requires a perscription. If Andy used his wife’s painkillers or horded an anti-biotic, would you label him a cheater? Also, if legality defines cheating, then every prohibtion era player was a cheater. The fact of the matter is that in 2002, MLB didn’t not consider HGH a performance enhancer (and to this day, there is little if any evidence to warrant that classification). So, if you want to say Andy was wrong for possessing something our government said he shouldn’t (i.e., HGH, pot, cuban cigars, etc.), so be it. You can’t call him a cheater though…the rules of baseball don’t allow you to.

“What they did was wrong and no moralizing can change that.”
What they did may have been illegal but in the case of HGH is what not necessarily wrong. I equate using HGH for healing purposes to using stem cells for the same reasons. The holier than thou crowd may have problems with it, but how can one blame someone for using anything available to heal themselves. Blindly following laws, or any other “rules” without first applying some logic is always a mistake.
. Especially before it was banned players where taking advantage of HGH especially in the offseason. I'm sure there were quite a few that used it as a performance enhancer to build up there bodies but many over the decades have been doing it to recover faster from injuries and surgeries.

It would be one thing if that Pettitte was a heavy user and was doing it for the point of using it as a performance enhancer because you could make the leap since Andy and Pettite are workout buddies but thats not how it was.

I'm not saying it's not the case he very well could be truly caught up in this but there is no evidence and you buy it hook line and sinker because 1 prophecy is true. Come on, wake up to the world as it is today especially with politics and whatnot you should know the best lies are the ones with some truth to it. So you can take that how you want and all it could mean is nothing or maybe not the point is that Clemens might have asked about something to get that partial truth but it doesn't mean he got any roids or HGH. In the end there is no proof and because 1 thing is true doesn't mean the rest is, thats why politicians are where they are at especially the popular one's the either tell you what you want to hear or they present some truths upfront so that as you go on you don't see or buy into what they fudged.

I feel that Andy was wrong for using HGH but at least he admitted to taking it something Bonds would never do. Bonds took HGH and everything else.

Antagonist Wfan Chris Russo will say

" Don't give me that Garbage that Andy use Hgh only for two days" Give Me that break" Russo will also say that Andy use Hgh when Roger came to Yankees in 1999 with his trainer. Even Andy admitted using Hgh for two days, Russo will not believe what Andy has to say and buy that bull sh* from himt anyway.

-Wfan Chris Russo- How we are supposed to believe that he only did it twice to heal his elbow?

Are people really going to sit here and believe this crap?

NO one takes one or two HGH shots. That's not how it works. You take daily HGH shots to raise the levels....Also HGH shots cost about $1,000 for a month's supply of daily shots and if you look at the checks people were writing you will see where the person was making his commission.

Pettitte realized what he did was wrong and thats why he stopped even knowing the intent was to help his teammates. I believe andy and think he knew it was wrong after it was too late. I'm not surprised however that he is the first one to step up and be willing to take responsibility for his actions. Players like Bonds and rest of other drug users continued to deny using it.

I honestly feel like having a Red Sox director run this thing, and then a bunch of Yankees but no Red Sox named, is like a director of Exxon being appointed to examine causes of climate change, and coming up with problems being caused by other oil companies, but not Exxon.

I mean just look at friggin Ortiz. And there’s got to be more. For a report like this to be trustworthy, effective in identifying the problem and actionable in terms of identifying the extend of needed solutions, evidence needs to be gathered and reported in an evenhanded, unbiased way.

The whole Mitchell Report is just horribly done. Complete opposite of “evenhanded”. Once they found what they did, they really needed to either go out and evaluate trainers and connections from all other clubs in the league, or not release ANY names.

Now people will look to this report as just something else that can’t be trusted

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://yankeeslegends.forumn.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Bonds doesn't have the guts like Pettite to say that He use

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:00 pm

Ms. Hill, what you said was ridiculous and a way to point a finger at a guy who for all intents and purposes is innocent. Pettitte made an impact-less mistake. 2 doses of HGH did not effect his recovery or how he pitched after he had recovered. If he was looking for an edge, he would have done it more than twice. HGH for the purposes that he (barely) used it for was NOT a performance enhancing supplement. What good is an apology if you don’t explain the circumstances surrounding it. Obviously, what he did was way different from what Clemens or Bonds is accused of. If he apologized vaguely, people would have grouped what he did with what Bonds did, and that isn’t fair. For him to be criticized over this apology is completely absurd.
No hard feelings, but I had to say it. Pettitte’s being slammed here and now and it was just not right.

It is time all the idiots who are driving this issue out of control to stop. Steroids are one thing,but HGH is another. Bottom line,if HGH is good to help recover from injuries,where is the harm? If it's used for healing,there is nothing wrong. We just need a new witch-hunt is all. I believe that this whole thing,including the Mitchell report was mishandled,and quite stupid. They claim that they don't want the kids to think that these things are OK,yet noone would have had a clue about this if it weren't Jose "The RAT" Conseco,and the stupid Mitchell report. Nobody suspected Roger Clemens OR Andy Pettite. NOW, thanks to Mitchell, the kids that admired them for their ON-FIELD play know they were using banned substances.

Another thing is, Pettite used HGH in 2002. MLB didn't ban HGH til 2005. SO, if it was three years before it was banned, Pettite broke no rules. If Selig suspends him over this, I will be done with baseball for as long as that moron is the commish. he has turned a blind eye for years,and now that it has been exposed,all of a sudden he wants to rush into "righting the wrongs." Bottom line is, if all you irresponsible journalists weren't so eager to get your stupid story that you don't care to ruin lives and reputations,kids would have never known these guys were doing the 'roids or the HGH. Want to blame someone for the effects on kids? Blame yourselves,sports reporters. What is wrong with allowing athletes a little privacy? Is that too much to ask?

VM

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:07 pm

Nespn- Jemellie Hill- Pettitte's apology was a joke

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/071217&sportCat=mlb

I'm confused. Was Andy Pettitte's admission that he used human growth hormone supposed to be an apology, or an insult to everybody's intelligence?

Don't be so quick to give Pettitte credit for coming forward.
It came off as the latter -- as something so disingenuous, it's laughable. It's hard to take any apology seriously when it contains this loaded statement: "If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize. I accept responsibility for those two days."

If what I did? Way to be contrite, Andy. Sorry, but this was more than an error in judgment. This isn't throwing to third base when the play was at first. This is your credibility and your reputation.

Some people are racing to pat Pettitte on the back for being one of three players thus far to fall on their swords after being fingered in the Mitchell report. But Pettitte's apology for taking HGH is totally meaningless, and the excuses he offers for his misdeed rank right up there with, "I was just smoking weed for my glaucoma."

Last year, the Los Angeles Times reported that former Yankee Jason Grimsley told the feds Pettitte was one of the players who used performance-enhancing drugs. This is how Pettitte responded to that allegation at the time: "I haven't done anything," he said. "I guess reports are saying I've used performance-enhancing drugs. I've never used any drugs to enhance my performance in baseball before. I don't know what else to say except it's embarrassing my name would be out there."

Now Pettitte wants us to believe he took HGH only twice in 2002, and only because he wanted to heal faster for his team's sake?

Riiiiiighhhhttt.

The only thing Pettitte has demonstrated is that he can lie under duress and then craft an apology that would make any public relations expert proud.

Already the apologists are circling around Pettitte, just as they circled around Rick Ankiel, another PED user who got a free pass because he supposedly used HGH to heal faster. For some reason, that's been framed as selfless, even though the end goal is no different than anyone else's.

Most of us, when trying to heal, go to doctors, who prescribe us legal medication. We don't go to strength trainers. The reason Pettitte went to Brian McNamee, a trainer he shared with Roger Clemens, is because he knew no doctor would ever prescribe him HGH.

"I wasn't looking for an edge. I was looking to heal," Pettitte said.

Sure. And an alcoholic puts whiskey in his/her morning cup of coffee only to prevent the shakes.

There are a lot of legal things that can make you heal faster. But Pettitte happened to pick the one healing remedy that has side effects that include creating new muscle cells, reducing body fat and strengthening bone mineralization. But Pettitte made HGH sound as benign as extra-strength Tylenol.

Athletes are taking HGH like it's candy because they're addicted to how it transforms them. They are risking their careers and their reputations because the payoff is potentially huge. HGH is extending careers, making it possible for pitchers like Pettitte to stay powerful into their 40s. Yet we're supposed to believe Pettitte is the one athlete on Earth who, despite knowing the drug's power, had the self-control to use it for just two days?

Riiiiiighhhhttt.

Every athlete who has admitted using performance-enhancing drugs has a sob story about it, but it usually boils down to a few simple self-serving goals. They want to play. They want to defy nature. They want to be loved. They want to keep their spoils and add more. Pettitte, who put off retirement earlier this month to sign a one-year, $16 million deal with the Yankees, is no different.

But give Pettitte credit for taking a page from Jason Giambi's guide to admitting PED use. Nothing works better than the halfhearted, phony apology.

Page 2 columnist Jemele Hill can be reached at jemeleespn@gmail.com.

Can someone in here Email Jemele Hill? She's an idiot.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Pettitte's apology was a joke
By Jemele Hill
Page 2

Monday, December 17, 2007

I'm confused. Was Andy Pettitte's admission that he used human growth hormone supposed to be an apology, or an insult to everybody's intelligence? It came off as the latter -- as something so disingenuous, it's laughable. It's hard to take any apology seriously when it contains this loaded statement: "If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize. I accept responsibility for those two days." If what I did? Way to be contrite, Andy. Sorry, but this was more than an error in jud ...

Read full story

Sort comments by: Most Recent | First Posted
0 / 1500
Cancel
Member comments together with Member Names may be used on TV and other ESPN media platforms.

* Comments (1-50)
o
jscagnelli626
jscagnelli626 (2 minutes ago)
Report Violation | Ignore User
Raymond, What has ANYONE else besides Gary Bennet said?
o
raymondmagnetic
raymondmagnetic (4 minutes ago)

Soundadvice, I'm pretty sure that I didn't.

jscagnelli626 - A majority of the posters here do not think that Andy Pettitte broke the rules when in actuality he definitely did break the rules. Also, Pettitte didn't exactly go all out with his apology. He used politician speak in his apology when he knows in his heart of hearts that what he did was against the rules and he was looking to get an edge. How can he possibly say that taking HGH in an attempt to get better, faster than someone who is not on HGH isn't an edge?
o
QFAN86
QFAN86 (5 minutes ago)
I agree that his apology was insincere but if you are trying to put Andy Pettitte on the same level as Barry Bonds, well let's just try to not let your biased be so obvious in your writing.
o
MaximMan121
MaximMan121 (6 minutes ago)

Raymond--

While Many folks here do seem to lack a level of self understanding (HAHAHAHA YOU CALL YORSELF A RITER? STUPID @(%RU)) and so on, there are also plenty of us who have a solid understanding of the issues at play here, as well as a reasonable ability to spin prose, that are speaking out.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:12 pm

[quote] I'll say it again. This article is an embarrassment to ESPN. Page 2 is meant to be somewhat funny, but does that mean that there's no longer a line one can't cross? This sort of response highlights the issue with the Mitchell Report. In the coming weeks, we will see tons of self righteous crap drizzled across the internet regarding those named in the report, ignoring completely the fact that we know just about nothing more than we did before last Thursday about who took HGH and steroids. Do you think we have identified even 20% of the offenders? 10%? Brian Roberts got the worst deal out of everyone, as has been covered ad nauseum, but Pettitte is right up there. He's a big enough named player that his picture accompanies all of these articles, and for what--two shots of HGH? Was it wrong? Sure. Did he gain any benefit from it? Doesn't appear so--he's been remarkably stable statistically for years.

Is he trying to go for his 40's, as the author of this article claims? Not even a little.
o
padola07
padola07 (7 minutes ago)
are you kidding me ... you can't say ret*rded? Is that now a curse word? Screw you ESPN.
o
jscagnelli626
jscagnelli626 (7 minutes ago)
Padola,
Agreed and every one of us will make our own judgements on this, I just don't like hearing people with a public forum forcing us to pick sides...
o
yank_fan4_ever
yank_fan4_ever (8 minutes ago)
Raymond - Before posting a comment concerning the grammar of others, you should be careful to avoid run-on sentences.
o
memoriastoica
memoriastoica (8 minutes ago)

What people here don't seem to comprehend is that just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean it isn't wrong to take. Cocaine used to be perfectly legal, before its effects were completely understood. Now you'd have to be a lunatic to think it's ok to take. The same logic works here as well. Just because HGH wasn't fully understood (and probably still isn't) doesn't make it ok to use. Pettitte knows he's wrong and people supporting him only makes it seem right.

This is one of the few cases where I actually agree with Jemele. Also, she writes for Page 2, an OPINION COLUMN. Some people, really...
o
JohnH1020
JohnH1020 (9 minutes ago)
Who is Jemele Hill??? I guess after reading her little blog here validates why I need to ask that question. If you are coming down on Pettitte for at least stepping forward, I wonder what your thoughts are on Barry Bonds??? I did some homework on Jemele Hill and her work that has received most attention are the ones involving racism towards black people. If I may turn the table on you Ms. Hill, are you attacking Andy Pettitte because he is a white man? Did he not apologize? To date, all Bonds has done is laugh all the way to the bank, lie to a grand jury, and make a ABSURD claim that he "took steroids but didn't know what they were". Come on! ESPN has just dropped a slot in where I will go for my sports information. Let's get back to the stories and the facts and get away from the biased drivel...or at least put this on some back page. I just might have to drive to Bristol, CT and give them my resume because after reading several of her pieces, I can confidently say I can write circles around Ms. Hill.
o

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:18 pm

He just bumped Jackson to a B.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Moundtalk Community Top 100 Prospects 2008

http://www.moundtalk.com/prospects/moundtalk-community-top-100-prospects-2008/

#6 - Joba
#39 - Tabata
#42 - IPK
#46 - Ajax
#93 - Alan Horne
#100 - Betances

[quote]

From Idiot Biased MoundTalk writer says- Are The Yankees Really Building a Farm System?

http://www.moundtalk.com/prospects/are-the-yankees-really-building-a-farm-system/

Praises are often given to the New York Yankees for rebuilding their farm system. Instead of ?buying? their players, G.M. Brian Cashman and crew are developing homegrown talent. But a closer examination reveals something different. I went through the Yankees top prospects and looked at how they were acquired. Philip Hughes- Hughes wasgiven $1.4M and in line with slot money. *Joba Chamberlain- Picked 41st overall in 2006, Joba was signed for $1.1M and over slot money. *Dellin Betances- He was picked in the 8th round of the 2006 draft and signed for a cool million dollars. He received a record amount of money for an eighth round draft pick. *Jose Tabata- signed as an amateur free agent from Venezuela for a half million dollars. *Ian Kennedy- Drafted 21st overall in 2006 and signed for 2.25 million. He was paid more than slot money. *Andrew Brackman- Brackman was taken 27th overall this year and most definitely paid more than slot money getting $3.35M Humberto Sanchez- Was acquired via Sheffield trade Tyler Clippard- signed for 75 grand as a 9th round pick. Not over slot money but at the high end. *Jesus Montero- signed as an amateur free agent from Venezuala for $2M Christian Garcia- drafted in the third round for 390K. Eric Duncan- First round pick from 2003. Signed for 1.25 million. *Mark Melancon- 9th round pick from 2006 for $600,000. That?s over slot money by about a half-million. *Alan Horne- Drafted in the 11th round but given third round money. Francisco Cervelli- I was unable to find out his signing information. JB Cox- Cox was signed for a mere $55,000 as a second round pick in 2005. Jeff Marquez- Signed for $790,000 as a supplemental pick. *Marcos Vechionacci- Signed as an amateur free agent for a quarter million dollars. *Austin Jackson- Signed as an 8th round pick for a then-record $800,000. Shelley Duncan- Second round pick signed for $655,000. *Bradley Suttle- 4th rounder from this year signed for $1.3 million. *Taylor Grote- 274th pick this year signed for a quarter-million dollars. *Carmen Angelini- 334th pick this year signed for a million dollars. Extending this thought a little further, I analyzed the first ten rounds of the 2007 draft and took the signing bonuses (as reported from perfect game cross checker) and regardless of quantity of picks, the Yankees had the third highest total. The Yankees had ten selections in ten rounds. By contrast, the teams who spent more (Washington and Baltimore) selected 13 and 8 players. Baltimore spent 6 of their 7.67 million dollars on Wieters. Not that this is a perfect analysis or a condemnation of the Yankees, but I am trying to highlight that the Yankee?s aren?t building a farm system through scouting and the draft. Instead, they are building it by drafting and paying buys that wanted more money than other teams were willing to give them. Essentially, they were buying their way into a good draft. 13 of their (roughly) top 20 prospects were overpaid. If this is a long term trend, the Yankees are heading into a big game of roulette, but that?s not necessarily bad. It?s paid off for them already with Joba Chamberlain?s recent success. Are the Yankees doing it the ?right way?? No. While they are building one of the better farms systems in baseball, they are doing it by buying players. The list of top prospects that they?ve overpaid is long and if baseball had more legislation over this matter, things would be different. The Yankees wouldn?t have such a great farm system. But baseball doesn?t and the Yankees do. So for now, we?ll have to live with a new era of the rich get richer

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:20 pm

2008 New York Yankees Top 10 Prospects
Compiled by J.P. Schwartz

http://www.topprospectalert.com/2008newyorkyankeesprospects.htm

NOTE - Each player CANNOT have pitched more than 50 innings, nor had more than 130 ABs in the Majors in a single season
#1 Joba Chamberlain
(MLB) 2-0, 0.38ERA, 24IP, 6BB, 34K, .145BAA
(AAA) 1-0, 0.00ERA, 8IP, 1BB, 18K, .179BAA
(AA) 4-2, 3.35ERA, 40.1IP, 15BB, 66K, .218ERA
(High-A) 4-0, 2.03ERA, 40IP, 11BB, 51K, .181BAA

#2 Ian Kennedy
(MLB) 1-0, 1.89ERA, 19IP, 9BB, 15K, .191BAA
(AAA) 1-1, 2.08ERA, 34.2IP, 11BB, 34K, .205BAA
(AA) 5-1, 2.59ERA, 48.2IP, 17BB, 57K, .163BAA
(High-A) 6-1, 1.29ERA, 63IP, 22BB, 72K, .183BAA

#3 Jose Tabata
(High-A) 103G .307, 16(2B), 2(3B), 5HR, 54RBI, 33BB, 70K, 15SB

#4 Austin Jackson
(AAA) 1G .333, 1(2B), 2BB, 2K, 1SB
(High-A) 67G .345, 15(2B), 6(3B), 10HR, 34RBI, 22BB, 48K, 13SB
(Low-A) 60G .260, 16(2B), 1(3B), 3HR, 25RBI, 24BB, 59K, 19SB

#5 Dellin Betances
(Short-A) 1-2, 3.60ERA, 25IP, 17BB, 29K, .255BAA

#6 Humberto Sanchez
Injured Did Not Play In 2007

#7 Andrew Brackman
1st Round Pick; Did Not Play Pro Ball In 2007

#8-A Alan Horne
(AA) 12-4, 3.11ERA, 153.1IP, 57BB, 165K, .256BAA

#8-B Chase Wright
(MLB) 2-0, 7.20ERA, 10IP, 6BB, 8K, .293BAA
(AAA) 8-3, 4.01ERA, 85.1IP, 42BB, 40K, .248BAA
(AA) 5-2, 3.62ERA, 59.2IP, 21BB, 41K, .249BAA

#8-C Jeff Marquez
(AA) 15-9, 3.65ERA, 155.1IP, 44BB, 94K, .270BAA

#9 Jesus Montero
(Rk) 33G .280, 6(2B), 3HR, 19RBI, 12BB, 18K

#10 Brandon Laird
(Rk) 45G .339, 14(2B), 1(3B), 8HR, 29RBI, 6BB, 26K

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:22 pm

1. Ian Kennedy, RHSP - Finally, he’s starting to get some recognition. Let the record show: I was high on him from the start.
2. Jose Tabata, OF - Don’t let the hand injury let you forget that he just turned 19 years old.
3. Austin Jackson, OF - Finally, the breakout came. Personally, I think that rating Jackson so high is a little bit of a gamble on my part. I think that there is a very good possibility that Jackson quickly becomes an all-star, but there is also a possibility that the breakout was due to a very small sample size.
4. Dellin Betances, RHSP - He’s still got the potential to be an absolute terror
5. Jesus Montero, C - Offense, Defense, Makeup Reports, everything went right this season.
6. Alan Horne, RHSP - He’s got me convinced. He tired a little bit late in the season, but Horne is a legitimate top-tier pitching prospect now.
7. Jeff Marquez, RHSP - Not nearly as good as Horne, but I place tremendous value upon an MLB-ready starter with upside.
8. Francisco Cervelli, C - If Jorge hadn’t resigned, the Yankees would have had to seriously consider making him the starting catcher straight out of the FSL.
9. David Robertson, RHP - Sleeper for the bullpen by August
10. Juan Miranda, 1b - Productive despite the long layoff. Reports range anywhere from Miranda being a MLB-average 1st baseman to an absolute slugger. Either way, he should contribute soon.
11. Kevin Whelan, RHP - Purely on ceiling. He was terrible at Trenton but still maintained a K/9 of 11.26.
12. Daniel McCutchen, RHSP - Done nothing but defy every expectation at every level.
13. Ryan Pope, RHP - I’ve never heard so much praise for a 3rd round pick.
14. Carmen Angelini, SS - Major talent on both sides of the ball.
15. Abraham Almonte, 2b/OF - He’s going to move quickly.
16. Jairo Heredia, RHSP - Its scary how good he can be.
17. Brett Gardner, CF - .280/.360/.380 in CF with great defense? Thats an asset - especially off the bench.
18. Tyler Clippard, RHSP - With a good pitching coach, he should excel in the NL East.
19. Ross Ohlendorf, RHRP - Can’t argue with 97
20. Steven White, RHSP - Starting to get old, but should be a replacement-level or better starting pitcher now, or a good reliever.
21. Alberto Gonzalez, SS - If only Derek Jeter would move, we could have good infield defense again.
22. Michael Dunn, LHSP - A lefty without glaring flaws?
23. Marcos Vechionacci, 3b - Its do or die time.
24. Zach McAllister, RHSP - In what kind of organization is this guy the 14th best pitching prospect? A stacked one.
25. George Kontos, RHSP - His control regressed a bit this year.
26. Austin Romine, C - Big candidate for a rise.
27. Brad Suttle, 3b - I want to see him in the minors first.
28. Reegie Corona, SS/2b - Underrated, but he’ll settle in at 2nd, not SS.
29. Chase Wright, LHRP - Notice, he’s not listed as a LHSP.
30. Prylis Cuello, 2b - Lots of potential, very undeveloped.
31. Colin Curtis, OF - Should be a good 4th OF option in 2009.

Here is the link to their site. Excellent site to discuss the future talent =

http://mvn.com/milb-yankees/

Thanks again Kat!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:27 pm

http://rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx

Rangers manager Ron Washington had Hank Blalock in the sixth spot in his projected lineup over the weekend and said he liked him there.
Washington indicated that he was currently looking at something like: LF Frank Catalanotto, 2B Ian Kinsler, SS Michael Young, DH Milton Bradley, CF Marlon Byrd, 3B Blalock, 1B Ben Broussard/Chris Shelton, RF David Murphy and C Jarrod Saltalamacchia/Gerald Laird. When Nelson Cruz or Jason Botts starts over Catalanotto versus lefties, Kinsler would lead off. The arrangement is definitely bad news for Blalock's value. The third baseman was just about the Rangers' best hitter when healthy last year and he should probably bat cleanup against righties.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dodgers get a ground-ball machine in Kuroda

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Dodgers get a ground-ball machine in Kuroda

By Jim Allen
Special to ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove07/columns/story?id=3158054

TOKYO -- With the acquisition of Hiroki Kuroda, the Los Angeles Dodgers have purchased a gem. The 32-year-old right-hander is a real no-nonsense player with a top-notch track record.

"He's got a good fastball and three or four above-average pitches that he can throw in the zone," said Marty Brown, who managed Kuroda the past two seasons with the Hiroshima Carp.

Kuroda, who has a 3.69 career ERA and 103-89 record, did more to help his team win from 2002 to 2007 than any other pitcher in Japan. The only player who contributed as much to his team's success per season over that period was current Red Sox right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka.

[+] Enlarge
Hiroki Kuroda

AP Photo/Kyodo News

Hiroki Kuroda's three-year, $35.3 million deal with the Dodgers includes a $7.3 million signing bonus.
Although the newest Dodger is best known for his ability to get ground balls, Brown says what's special is Kuroda's knack for stepping up late in the game.

"He's similar to Pedro Martinez in that respect," Brown said by telephone last week. "They are different kinds of pitchers, but they both have that ability.

"He [Kuroda] will be in the sixth or seventh inning, sailing along, and he gets into a little trouble. Suddenly he grabs another gear. He has that competitive nature. We've all seen Pedro do that for so many years."

Yet, as with most ace pitchers, there is always the fear that mammoth pitch counts in games, between games and in the preseason would bring Kuroda down to earth sooner or later. When Brown arrived to take over his former club in 2006, he began putting his 6-foot-1, 190-pound ace on a pitch count, while shifting him as much as possible to four days' rest instead of six.

The new skipper also patched Hiroshima's porous defense, and despite a season that was punctuated by an elbow injury, Kuroda posted one of the nation's most impressive starting pitching seasons in nearly 20 years. In 2006, he rang up a 1.85 ERA despite working in a hitters' league and in Japan's toughest park for pitchers.

"I think Kuroda will be someone's No. 3 starter and will get just as many [ground balls] here as he did there," new Kansas City Royals manager Trey Hillman said last Wednesday in an e-mail. "He pitched and was successful in one of the smallest parks in Japan, and I also think he is a workhorse that will continue to eat up innings here in the States."
Starting Point

A look at Dodgers starting pitching in 2006 and 2007.
2006 2007
W-L 64-49 58-61
ERA 4.29 4.43
Walks 285 339

Kuroda was eligible to file for free agency a year ago, but between elbow surgery in the United States in November 2006 and his father in failing health, the right-hander opted to remain in Hiroshima for another year.

He was on track for another superb season in 2007 until it unraveled at the very end of July. From July 31 on, his ERA jumped by a run and a half to 4.58.

Brown believes his righty was looking away from the small-market Carp, who had finished in the bottom of the Central League for 10 straight seasons.

"There were some promises made to him [Kuroda], about what the team would do to keep him, and most of those did not materialize," Brown said. "We were going to be more competitive, and then there was all the focus on [Tomonori] Maeda."

Since filing for free agency in November, Kuroda's focus has all been on pitching in the majors.

He seems a good match for Dodger Stadium because he doesn't give up many home runs or walks. Growing up in a park where you have to pitch inside, Kuroda locates his fastball well to both sides of the plate. Although he depends on a two-seamer and his breaking pitches to feed his infielders' assist totals, his location allows him to get strikeouts when necessary.

While he will certainly need to adjust to more different situations than he faced in Japan, Kuroda has all the tools he needs to succeed and is unafraid to use them.

"He has a way of leaving everything on the field," Brown said.

Jim Allen covers baseball for The Daily Yomiuri in Japan.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:37 pm

Essentially, they were buying their way into a good draft. 13 of their (roughly) top 20 prospects were overpaid. If this is a long term trend, the Yankees are heading into a big game of roulette, but that?s not necessarily bad. It?s paid off for them already with Joba Chamberlain?s recent success. Are the Yankees doing it the ?right way?? No. While they are building one of the better farms systems in baseball, they are doing it by buying players. The list of top prospects that they?ve overpaid is long and if baseball had more legislation over this matter, things would be different. The Yankees wouldn?t have such a great farm system. But baseball doesn?t and the Yankees do. So for now, we?ll have to live with a new era of the rich get richer.

something new for the other teams to cry about now i guess

Its overpaying, but doing so in a more efficient market. Its basically like buying for full price at Walmart, as opposed to buying on sale at Neiman's. Overall, you're probably better off going to Walmart.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:38 pm

Paris Hilton is looking for 'a nice boy'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/paris_hilton

BERLIN - Paris Hilton is looking for a boyfriend and knows exactly what qualities Mr. Right should possess.

"Right now I'm single but I am looking for a nice boy," she told reporters in Berlin on Wednesday. "He should be funny, smart and loyal."

The celebrity heiress, author, singer, perfume designer and reality TV star was in the German capital to take part in an advertising campaign for Rich Prosecco — a sparkling wine that is to be sold in cans.

Hilton said she was planning to visit one of Berlin's Christmas markets, the city's famous museums and had already been partying at Berlin's trendy Cookies club.

Hilton, wearing a black glittering dress and a golden chain and cross around her neck, also told reporters that she is making an effort to personally contribute to protecting the environment.

"I changed all the light bulbs to energy safe light bulbs and I'm buying a hybrid car right now," Hilton said, adding she also turned off the lights at home, didn't leave the TV on or the water running when she left the home.

"Little things that people can do every day to make a huge difference."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:39 pm

Anon - what did you want Andy's response to be? Did you want him to break down and cry, pinky swear it will never happen again? All the apologies from these athletes are halfhearted and phony, from HGH to dog fighting. People in general are only sorry for doing something wrong after they get caught. Then the press comes down on them, their agents say "you better make a statement", the fans are up in arms...so they are forced to hold press conferences and read written statements about how it was wrong what they did and they are sorry. 40 years ago players didnt have to say sh*t about beating up their wives, cheating on their wives, going out and getting drunk and high, getting their girlfriends pregnant. Obviously all those things are wrong, but do we have to hear press conferences about them? Is a public apology necessary? Don’t apologize to the fans, apologize to your damn ( got it right that time Jim ) wife and kids. I dont care to see Koby Bryant apologize to his wife for infidelity, I dont need to see Jason Kidd apologize for slugging his wife, I dont need to see Mike Vick say that he's sorry for killing dogs, or Mark McGuire cry in front of congress about juicing. I dont need to see any of these things, however we live in a time that has several 24x7 news channels along with several 24x7 sports news channels…ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN news, ESPN the ocho, fox news sports, YES and the list goes on and on. These are the only ones screaming for the press conference..know why? BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES BROADCASTING IT! They want the rating, they love the controversy so they milk it till the utters are raw.

So don’t get caught up in Andy’s press conference. He did it, we all know, he admitted it so lets move on. When he goes back to the Bronx he will get a standing O the 1st time he pitches. The Yankee fans love him no matter what.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Detroit Tigers Top 10 Prospects 2008, Revised

With the departure of Cam Maybin and Andrew Miller, I have redone the Tigers Top 10 Prospects. Remember, this is a system that has lost Gorkys Hernandez, Jair Jurjjens, Maybin, Miller, Dallas Trahern and Euligio de la Cruz.

1. Rick Porcello, RHSP, HS. Porcello fell in the draft because of his contract demands. Detroit went ahead and paid for the highest ceiling high school pitcher in the 2007 draft and gave him a $3.58 million bonus.
2. Casey Crosby, LHSP, HS. Taken in the fifth round of the 2007 draft, Crosby has the talent that he should have been taken higher, but, as with Porcello, Detroit was willing to pay him and that’s a huge advantage in the draft. He’s a project with delivery issues and questionable stuff but at 6-foot-5 and a good groundwork, Crosby has a lot of potential. Don’t expect him to shoot through the system.
3. Brandon Hamilton, RHSP, HS. Taken in the supplemental round of the 2007 draft, Hamilton is yet another high school pitcher the Tigers have been focusing on. Though he doesn’t have the ceiling of Crosby, he is much more refined. He has a very nice pitching body and offers a good fastball and curveball. He should make a smooth transition into professional baseball.
4. Jeff Larish, 1B, AA. Larish is a good first base prospect, though he’s getting older for a prospect. At 24 in AA he hit .267/.390/.515. He will never hit for a great average but he’ll get on base and hit the ball hard. The Tigers will give him a shot to make the club out of Spring Training but a stop in Triple-A wouldn’t be completely unexpected.
5. Cale Iorg, SS, A+. The 21 year old taken in the sixth round of the 2007 draft was sent to High-A after signing for a quick five game stint. In 18 at-bats he managed a walk, five punchouts, three singles and two doubles. Iorg will likely be sent to the Florida State League again next season.
6. Scott Sizemore, 2B, A. Sizemore moved to second base this year from short and the move looks to be a big improvement defensively for him after one season.
7. Michael Hollimon, SS, AAA. Hollimon spent most of 2007 in Double-A where he hit .282/.371/.478. Despite the nice looking line, he was 25 years old in Double-A, not the most encouraging news for him. He’s got some power and some speed but looks like a utility player at best.
8. Clete Thomas, OF, AA. Thomas did exactly what you’d like to see out a player moving from High-A to Double-A ball: He improved across the board. He hit the ball harder, more frequently, struck out less, walked more and hit for more power. The only downside to this is that his ceiling is limited.

9. Yorman Barzardo, RHP, MLB. Barzardo will be used primarily as a reliever for the Tigers. There isn’t much that stands out for Barzardo, but he should be a sufficient reliever for the Tigers in 2008.
10. James Skelton, C, A. Skelton has really turned himself into a fine catching prospect. In the pitching friendly Midwest League, Skelton hit .309/.398/.448. He cut his strikeout rate from nearly 20% down to under 13%. Skelton will be given the proper time to develop as a catcher but his defensive skills project to be more than adequate.
Flier. Jonah Nickerson, RHSP, A. Nickerson was taken in the seventh round of the 2006 draft out of Oregon State. He’s a polished pitcher who knows how to pitch. But, he doesn’t have the best stuff.

The Tigers have spent a lot of money on the draft recently and it is paying off. By taking, and paying for, a lot of talented high school arms, the Tigers have begun to build a very solid system. Though the talent drops off in the latter part of this list, it is certainly not short on potential big leaguers. By continuing this policy of going above slot money, the Tigers are ultimately ‘creating’ more first round picks. Guys like Casey Crosby, Cale Iorg, Rick Porcello and so on have become Tigers recently because they were willing to invest money in the draft. Whether this risky strategy pays off is more a factor of how good their scouting department is. Either way, the Tigers are a very interesting ball club.

Discuss the Tigers Top 10 Prospects and more with the Moundtalk Community.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down