Uplifting

Go down

Uplifting

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Uplifting

No hard questions. Just a friendly, feel-good piece about the young Yankee who wears number 62.

"If I could just be half the man he is, that would be great," he says. - Joba Chamberlain, speaking about his father in the Post. Single-page , reading-friendly link.
http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/12162007/sports/yankees/straight_from_the_heartland_931862.htm

John Sickels also gave Joba a grade A in his New York Yankees Top 20 Prospects for 2008 (ht: waswatching) with Jose Tabata and Ian Kennedy grading a B+.
http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2007/12/17/14218/226

thanks for sharing ag...a nice feel good story is a good change of pace from the way i've been feeling the past few days...i also read a nice piece on joba in "espn the magazine"...he is on the cover of the latest and is consider a "next"...i guess that means, the next star athlete to have an impact on his sport...cynics will call more hype i suppose, but he comes across like a good kid who sincerely loves and appreciates his dad...refreshing...

Posted by: dc | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:29 PM

i should have mentioned that the piece you referenced mentioned the espn article...

Posted by: dc | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:34 PM

Joba is a breath of fresh air, that's for sure. The ESPN article was pretty cool as well. My favorite part was how he sent a text to Buchholz after his no hitter and said Congrats, I hope you got that out of your system. FYI, you learn in the article that Joba sends about 200 texts per day, to anyone and everyone.

Posted by: John - YF | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:41 PM

FYI, you learn in the article that Joba sends about 200 texts per day, to anyone and everyone

Hopefully not Kirk Radomski!

Posted by: SF | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:44 PM

200 Texts a day? Uh, at what point is it an addiction that interferes with one's life? I kid, but that's a boat-load of messages.

Posted by: Brad | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:51 PM

Don't forget to try the veal. SF will be here all week.

Posted by: John - YF | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:53 PM

> My favorite part was how he sent a text to Buchholz after his no hitter and said Congrats, I hope you got that out of your system

That was my favorite part as well; reading about their camraderie and the fact that they are great friends gave some perspective and closure to that minor dust-up on the site back in September over some wording that Joba used when talking about Bucholz.

Posted by: attackgerbil | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:53 PM

As long as he isn't playing Guitar Hero, I am fine with him texting all day.

Posted by: John - YF | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:54 PM

reading about their camraderie and the fact that they are great friends

T-minus seven minutes until a Yankee fan says "Joba might not want to lend Clay his laptop..."

Oh, wait...

Posted by: SF | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:56 PM

> As long as he isn't playing Guitar Hero

Or DDR.

Posted by: attackgerbil | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 01:57 PM

Nothing, not even the threat of career-ending or career-debilitating injury, should stop anyone from playing Guitar Hero.

I kid...but seriously, that game is so fun.

Posted by: Devine | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 02:02 PM

"As long as he isn't playing Guitar Hero"

With the same time and effort it takes to get good at Guitar Hero, you could actually learn to play the guitar. What am I missing here?

...and an amusing side note - I've been playing the drums for 42 years- 27 seven of those professionally. I tried the drum version of Guitar Hero, and was really sad at it!

Posted by: The Sheriff (Andrews) | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 02:05 PM

> Nothing, not even the threat of career-ending or career-debilitating injury, should stop anyone from playing Guitar Hero.

I dumped my bike when riding a couple months ago and sprained my left index finger pretty badly. Then Guitar Hero III came out. Every time I play it, my finger kills me for at least a day. I try to go on forced hiatus from the game to let the finger heal, but I'm hooked. I guess I need some HGH for my GH addiction - I just want to heal and contribute. And to finish Cliffs of Dover on hard.

Posted by: attackgerbil | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 02:11 PM

I love most of the Metallica song ("One"), but the thing gets so ridiculous at the end that I usually fail instantly.

And Cliffs of Dover is awesome.

Posted by: AndrewYF | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 02:13 PM

I was referring to Joel Zumaya playing Guitar Hero and injuring himself. This injury occurred prior to the moving (most recent) injury. I believe he missed part of the playoffs or WS due to this.

Posted by: John - YF | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 02:21 PM

> What am I missing here?

Sheriff.. It's just a blast to rock out with friends, and it requires very little effort for non-musical people to get reasonably good enough to have a ton of fun with the game. And co-op mode is a BLAST.

I have been playing piano for about 33 years, and the hardest thing when I first picked up the game (still the hardest thing for me, really) was hitting the key the game wanted at the time the game wanted, not the note/rhythm that my brain is literally hard-wired to send to my hands based on three-plus decades at the keyboard.

Posted by: attackgerbil | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 02:22 PM

Sheriff, surely as a musician you can see the difference...real guitars have six strings and more than five frets! Guitar Hero doesn't require having two fingers on the same fret (on different strings) and requires no vertical (string-to-string) dexterity. And you only strum as though playing all the strings, and not just some of them. I have tried a little bit to play guitar, and I think I can safely say learning to play GH is easier.

Yeah, John, I'm with you there. I'm a bit flummoxed as to HOW Zumaya injured himself with Guitar Hero so badly. Was he trying to "rock out" or did he, like, sprain a pinky with a long stretch?

I'm stumped by the seventh group in GH III on Hard, gerb. I got closest to finishing that "Knights of Cydonia" song, but the ending bit cramped my left hand but good. I haven't given it a go since my last dismal failure a couple weeks ago...maybe I'll try again soon.

Andrew..."One" is one of the two songs that has my lady stumped on Hard (she is better at the game than me).

Also, a semblance of on-topic-ness: glad that Joba seems like a cool dude.

Posted by: Devine | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 02:34 PM

Yeah, gerb, that was my problem too. It seemed that the game wanted you to strike the figures before the sound happened - I was utterly unable to do it. :0

Posted by: The Sheriff (Andrews) | Monday, December 17, 2007 at 02:37 PM

"Every time I play it, my finger kills me for at least a day"

" but the ending bit cramped my left hand but good."

Ha! This sh*t sounds dangerous!!!

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://yankeeslegends.forumn.org

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum