My Gold Stars For Oppenheimer & Garrett

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: My Gold Stars For Oppenheimer & Garrett

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Charles leaving school to enter NFL draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3177593

Updated: January 2, 2008, 4:07 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas junior running back Jamaal Charles, who rushed for 1,619 yards this season, announced Wednesday he will leave the Longhorns to enter the NFL draft.

Jamaal Charles is the fourth Texas back to rush for more than 1,500 yards in a season.

Charles joined Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell and Cedric Benson as the only Longhorns to rush for more than 1,500 yards in a season. He had 161 yards and two touchdowns in Texas' Pacific Life Holiday Bowl win over Arizona State. The Longhorns finished 10-3.

His biggest game of the season was a career-high 290 yards in a 28-25 win over Nebraska in which he had 216 yards and three long TDs in the fourth quarter.

He indicated after the bowl game he would return but had filed paperwork with the NFL to test where he might get drafted. The response, which he did not disclose, prompted his decision, he said in a statement released by the school.

"Playing in the NFL has always been my dream and when the NFL report came back, I was happy with the grade and felt like it was best for me to enter the draft," Charles said.

Charles is the rare Texas player to leave early in coach Mack Brown's 10 seasons. Quarterback Vince Young, who led Texas to the 2005 national championship, is the only other Longhorn to enter the draft early in that span.

Charles' 3,328 yards rushing rank fourth in school history, trailing Williams, Benson and Campbell.

"We appreciate everything Jamaal has done for Texas and want to wish him all of the best," Brown said. "He has been a great player for us and more importantly a tremendous person, student and representative of our program."

A slashing runner with sprinter's speed, Charles scored 18 touchdowns and averaged 6.2 yards per carry this season. After being dogged by early-season fumbling problems -- including a key drop near the goal line in a 28-21 loss to Oklahoma -- he flourished down the stretch, averaging 180 yards over the final five games.

He was a four-time All-American in track for the Longhorns and ran a career-best 10.23-second 100 meters to win the Big 12 title as a freshman in 2006.

Texas also announced Wednesday that assistant head coach and co-defensive coordinator Larry Mac Duff is leaving after one season on the Texas staff. A 36-year coaching veteran, Mac Duff spent four seasons with the San Francisco 49ers before joining the Longhorns.

Texas had one of the worst defenses in the country, giving up an average of 33.4 points over the final five games.

"Larry and I met this morning and he informed me that he is not returning for the 2008 season, citing philosophical differences," Brown said. "Larry is a great coach and man and we appreciate all he's done for our program."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:35 pm

I'd put the Yankees up there but not ahead of Boston. My guess is the MFY are 3rd. Joba and Buchholz are about equal but Ellsbury > Kennedy which gives the Red Sox the edge plus there is alittle more depth in the Sox system.

Edit: They are 5 according to the Callis chat.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:36 pm

Sox Prospect Jsinger says

http://redsoxprospects57174.yuku.com/topic/2412
I'd put the Yankees up there but not ahead of Boston. My guess is the MFY are 3rd. Joba and Buchholz are about equal but Ellsbury > Kennedy which gives the Red Sox the edge plus there is alittle more depth in the Sox system.

Edit: They are 5 according to the Callis chat.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:39 pm

The Rangers don't seem to fit on that top 5. Do they have any A/A+ prospects? Hurley?

No, but they have significant depth.

With Teagarden, Hurley, Andrus, Harrison, Chris Davis, Beltre, Main, Mayberry, Kiker, Max Ramirez, Feliz and Beavan, they have a ton of B (+ / -) level prospects.

BP ranked Teagarden 7th if that tells you anything, wheele.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Buchholz and Ellsbury are certainly considered because they are still eligible for rookie status, as are Joba and Kennedy. However, Hughes has exceeded the rookie level status so he is no longer considered a prospect.

I think everyone needs to relax, I am a die hard Yanks fan and as much as I want to hear the yanks ranked #1 in every category I cannot get excited when someone doesn't. This self entitlement cry baby mentality is annoying even for most of us Yankee fans reading or listening too. I have no problem with anyone not picking the yankees to make the playoffs. The Red Sox are the returning WS champs and didn't lose anything, the Tigers got better, the Indians haven't lost anybody of significance, so we need to calm down. Besides the games have to be played and if last season taught us anything it is anything can happen. As well, relax with the org rankings can we, the Yankees have a lot to be excited about and when it comes to picking top prospects it is a an accurate science so let it play out.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:41 pm

QUOTE(Farns100mphgifts @ Jan 1 2008, 10:12 PM) *
Plus the fact that they have a good, young pitcher under a fairly cheap contract. I think the Sox won in this situation.

I’d like to add more to this.

Even with his league average ERA [and I hate when people leave out that he threw 200 innings last year striking out a batter per inning] last year the Red Sox still have at worst a number 3 starter under contract for 5 more years at pretty darn good yearly salary. [8M in 08‘, 8M in 09‘, 8M in 10‘, 10M in 11’ and 10M in 12’]

Carlos Zambrano who pitches is in a easier league got an extension this season at the tune of 15M in 08, 17.7M in 09‘, 17.87M in 10’, 17.87M in 11’, 18M in 12’. It should also be noted that Zambrano is 26 years old as well.

28 year old Carlos Silva and his career 102 ERA+ [average pitcher] recently signed a 4 year 48M deal with the Mariners, I’m not sure how the yearly salary breaks down but if you break it down in a crude way it’s 12M a year for a guy who struck out 89 batters last year in about 200 innings pitched.

The Red Sox do come out winning in this situation.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A few minutes with Rob Ryan

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:48 pm

A few minutes with Rob Ryan

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2007/12/27/a-few-minutes-with-rob-ryan/

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, December 27th, 2007 at 4:44 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The media was granted access to defensive coordinator Rob Ryan Thursday for a few minutes before head coach Lane Kiffin was available.

A transcription of the Q&A with Ryan:

Q: With 11 returning players, how surprised are you how things have gone?

Ryan: Well, I mean, obviously we’re not fired up about the way things have come, but our players are playing hard, and we’ve still got great players. Our young players are really developing. Thomas Howard and Kirk Morrison, Nnamdi Asomugha and Jay Richardson, those guys have played great, so we’re excited about them, and overall, did we think we’d be where we are statistically? No, or as a team. We thought we’d be in a hell of a lot better shape than we are, but that’s life in the big city.

Q: Anything you can point to as to why the run defense hasn’t been there?

Ryan: I think you guys bring up the point, we’ve got relatively the same players, which is true. I think this year, just overall in general, we’re used to leading the league in fewest big plays. We’ve given up a lot of big plays, whatever the case may be, whether it be tackling or whatever. It’s unfortunate and a little but stunning to me, but that’s the way it is. That’s the way this game’s been played.

Q: What has to happen, are you confident you’ve got the players here?

Ryan: There’s great players. History shows you that. Last year didn’t happen by accident. We’ve got great players here with the Raiders, and a great organization, and whatever happens, next year is next year. I know, one year we’re great, one year, we’re not so good, and sure, there’s an in between there, or play great again, that’s the way it is.

Q: Is it fair at all to look at last year in a different light in that some of the games you were playing, the other team in the second half were not going at it the way they could have because your offense was so poor?

Ryan: Nah, I mean, you can look at it, if you want to be negative, and bring out some (B.S.) You can do that if you want. But these guys are great players here. I’ve seen this happen before. This isn’t the first time on my watch this has happened. We won a Super Bowl in New England, you know, felt really good in, obviously, wearing the hardware, and came out and stunk up the joint with the same players, then the next year followed up with a Super Bowl year, and won a Super Bowl with a great defense, but that’s the NFL. If you think people are going to take it easy on you, you’re damn crazy in this league. They tried their best last year, we were up to the challenge. This year, our guys are still playing hard, they still work hard, we’ve still got great players all over that field, it just hasn’t worked out.

Q: Would you say defensive line is the first place to address?

Ryan: No. I wouldn’t say that.

Q: Is there any part of you that worries about your job here next year?

Ryan: I’d be out of a job for two minutes. I mean, who are we kidding? I’m not worried about it. Love the Raiders, if that happens, so be it. I’d be out of a job for two minutes.

Q: Have you talked to Lane about it?

Ryan: No. I haven’t talked to anybody about it. I’ve coached my ass off. I mean, you guys bring it up every day so you can speculate on it. I don’t care.

Q: Has Huff progressed the way you thought?

Ryan: Michael’s playing hard. I thought he’d have more plays than he’s made, but I don’t know. I thought we’d be No. 1 in defense too.

Q: What’s been the key to getting Terdell to play consistently. We see flashes, then he disappears . . .

Ryan: I mean, hell, I think he’s giving good effort, and I think all of them are. All our players are. Just hasn’t been a great year. That’s what happens.

News, notes and observations from Thursday:

– Kiffin wasn’t about to place the entire blame on Oakland’s defense for its 4-11, saying the record represented the entire team, citing offensive and special teams mistakes which put the defense in bad positions.

Regarding the possibility of a staff purge similar to the one that took place on offense last season, Kiffin said, “I haven’t made any decisions yet. I’m continuing to evaluate everything and look at everything and make us as good as we can be. We’ll make those decisions on a number of things but no decisions have been made at all on any of those things.”

– Headed directly at the Raiders defense Sunday _ for awhile, anyway, will be LaDainian Tomlinson, the NFL rushing leader with 1,413 yards. It was the Raiders that got Tomlinson headed in the right direction after a slow start, giving up 198 yards and four touchdowns in a 28-14 loss.

Which should come as no surprise since Tomlinson has 1,635 yards against the Raiders, his highest figure against any team.

“He actually was struggling coming into that game,” Kiffin said. “That kind of kick-started his season. He’s a guy you have to tackle. We had very poor tackling the last time we played him. You play a guy like that or a guy like Fred Taylor, guys that are really fast, then you guys see it a lot more because that missed tackle goes for 60 as opposed to going for 10 because somebody couldn’t catch him.”

– Read why Ryan’s loyalty may have his defensive players feeling too comfortable in my Raiders Web Exclusive column.

– WR Tim Dwight was limited in practice and his status is in question for Sunday. If he cannot play, Kiffin said rookie Johnnie Lee Higgins will return punts.

– LB Jon Alston missed practice for the second straight day with a calf injury which will probably keep him out of the San Diego game.

– DE Derrick Burgess rested Thursday and did not practice. All players who rested Wednesday _ C Jeremy Newberry, T Barry Sims, WR Jerry Porter and DT Warren Sapp.

– Sapp was fined $75,000 but not suspended, and Burgess fined $25,000 for their part in a sequence before the end of the first half which brought four consecutive penalties for unsportsmanlike conduct.

According to the NFL release:

Warren Sapp of the Oakland Raiders has been fined $75,000 for physical and verbal actions toward game officials that drew an unprecedented three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and ejection from last Sunday’s game.

Derrick Burgess of the Raiders was fined $25,000 for his verbal abuse of a game official that resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct in the same game.

NFL rules prohibit abusive conduct toward game officials, including unnecessary physical contact and the use of abusive, threatening or insulting language or gestures.

Sapp is still of the belief he drew two flags, and not three.

– So much for all those heartwarming “Daunte as mentor” stories regarding JaMarcus Russell. Culpepper didn’t even travel with the team to Jacksonville, even though he had not yet been put on injured reserve.

Once it became apparent it would be Josh McCown and Russell to close out the season following Culpepper’s mysterious quadriceps injury, he the veteran quarterback stopped going to practice where he could in theory serve as a veteran voice for the rookie.

– The deadline for declaring a sellout will be pushed to Friday because of the Christmas holiday, but the Raiders are optimistic of lifting the blackout so the game can be televised locally.

Oakland has had just two games blacked out this season despite a 4-11 record. CEO Amy Trask has been enthused by the response to the Raiders Tickets for Troops and Tickets for Kids programs, which allows businesses the opportunity to purchase blocks of tickets for youth groups or the families of servicemen and receive a letter of receipt for participating in a non-profit activity.

For more information, call 1-800-RAIDERS

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:44 pm

I would be against this for two reasons.

First is the simple fact that we are already overflowing with young high-ceiling pitchers. Yeah, you can never have too much pitching, but when it comes to huge sums of money like what it would take to get him, you have to prioritize. In other words, I would eagerly take him in the draft, but to spend $120-150 million or more on a guy who may or may not be better than Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, Horne, etc. seems wasteful.

The second reason is that a big paycheck would give him preference over the guys I just listed. Management would look to get what they could out of the investment rather than giving opportunities to the ones that deserved it the most. A great example of this is Igawa. We have several young pitchers that have shown more promise than Igawa, but he will likely get one of the first opportunities.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:47 pm

I would take Garcia over Manning
Garcia beat Giants twice in the playoffs in his career.

Bucs are favored -3 over Giants

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:46 pm

LOL.....

1. The Yankees will be outbid on the open market for a player (has this ever happened before?) with 84M off the payroll and a new stadium opening generating 100M in additional revenue per year image. Obviously this clown didnt see what happened when the Mets decided to go after Posada. But what if they dont want to go to the Yankees....... BAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA

2. Notice he didnt mention what he thought about the potential Wang, Pettitte, Cici, Joba, Hughes rotation with Horne, Sanchez & Kennedy in the pen image

3. The team with the best record in MLB in the second half, that missed having the best record by 2 games, that has made the post season for 13 years after having their entire rotation go down in April-May is going to miss the playoffs. image

All the haters including the Redsox know they are in huge trouble for the next 5+ years if the Yankees keep the kids, stay patient & put their money to work next year. The farm is back & the payroll flexibility the next 2 years is insane...

Cashman 2006 "God Help The Rest Of Baseball" image

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:56 pm

TV Schedule for 01/03/2008:

http://www.yesnetwork.com/schedule/index.jsp?ymd=20080103

6:30 PM Yankees Hot Stove Discussion and analysis of baseball's off-season news and roster moves

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Torre won't pick sides between Clemens, McNamee

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3177899

NEW YORK -- Joe Torre won't pick sides between Roger Clemens and Brian McNamee, the former New York Yankees strength coach who accused the Rocket of using performance-enhancing drugs.

"You're not going to get me in that jackpot," the former Yankees manager said Wednesday. "I'd rather just stay away from making any in-depth comment about the whole steroid-HGH thing."

I'm very close to Roger. When I say close to him, he was a great competitor for me. Andy the same way. And I certainly know they're two proud individuals that only like to do the right thing. I'd just like to leave it at that.

--Joe Torre

Torre, who managed Clemens for six seasons, spoke during a Golf Channel conference call ahead of the Mercedes-Benz Championship in Kapalua, Hawaii, where he will be honorary starter.

In George Mitchell's report last month on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, McNamee claimed Clemens used steroids and Human Growth Hormone and accused Andy Pettitte of using HGH. Clemens denied the charge, while Pettitte admitted using HGH on two occasions while rehabbing an injury.

"I'm very close to Roger. When I say close to him, he was a great competitor for me. Andy the same way. And I certainly know they're two proud individuals that only like to do the right thing," Torre said. "I'd just like to leave it at that."

Torre managed the Yankees for 12 seasons, winning the World Series four times in his first five years, before leaving at the end of last season and becoming manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

A total of 20 current and former Yankees were identified in Mitchell's report. Torre said the high total likely was due to two of Mitchell's primary sources being from the New York area: McNamee and former Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski.

"It made it look like a lopsided report," Torre said. "Plus, don't forget, the Yankees have so many people coming through there on a year-to-year basis. We changed over quite often, whether it would be a player for the month of May, a player for the month of September. But I think the big part of it was the access, where these two people were both based in New York."

Torre suspects use may have been more widespread.

"When you're talking about 80 players that supposedly were using one thing or another, to me it may be an incomplete report," he said. "The only thing I do know is that the most important thing for us in baseball is to make sure that when we take the field, that the fans trust us. So whatever we have to do to make that happen, I think that's important."

Clemens, who issued a video denial of McNamee's accusations, is due to appear on CBS's "60 Minutes" on Sunday and hold a news conference the following day in the Houston area.

Torre, who spends much of the offseason in Hawaii, joked about his golf game, calling it "ugly." The former catcher, who limped when he made trips to the mound last season, had a knee replaced last month.

"The knee is four weeks old today and it's OK," he said. "It's just a little achy, that's all."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:55 pm

[quote]

"You're not going to get me in that jackpot," the former Yankees manager said Wednesday. "I'd rather just stay away from making any in-depth comment about the whole steroid-HGH thing."

I'm very close to Roger. When I say close to him, he was a great competitor for me. Andy the same way. And I certainly know they're two proud individuals that only like to do the right thing. I'd just like to leave it at that.

"It made it look like a lopsided report," Torre said. "Plus, don't forget, the Yankees have so many people coming through there on a year-to-year basis. We changed over quite often, whether it would be a player for the month of May, a player for the month of September. But I think the big part of it was the access, where these two people were both based in New York."

Torre, who managed Clemens for six seasons, spoke during a Golf Channel conference call ahead of the Mercedes-Benz Championship in Kapalua, Hawaii, where he will be honorary starter.

In George Mitchell's report last month on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, McNamee claimed Clemens used steroids and Human Growth Hormone and accused Andy Pettitte of using HGH. Clemens denied the charge, while Pettitte admitted using HGH on two occasions while rehabbing an injury.

"I'm very close to Roger. When I say close to him, he was a great competitor for me. Andy the same way. And I certainly know they're two proud individuals that only like to do the right thing," Torre said. "I'd just like to leave it at that."

Torre managed the Yankees for 12 seasons, winning the World Series four times in his first five years, before leaving at the end of last season and becoming manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

A total of 20 current and former Yankees were identified in Mitchell's report. Torre said the high total likely was due to two of Mitchell's primary sources being from the New York area: McNamee and former Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski.

"When you're talking about 80 players that supposedly were using one thing or another, to me it may be an incomplete report," he said. "The only thing I do know is that the most important thing for us in baseball is to make sure that when we take the field, that the fans trust us. So whatever we have to do to make that happen, I think that's important."

Clemens, who issued a video denial of McNamee's accusations, is due to appear on CBS's "60 Minutes" on Sunday and hold a news conference the following day in the Houston area.

Torre, who spends much of the offseason in Hawaii, joked about his golf game, calling it "ugly." The former catcher, who limped when he made trips to the mound last season, had a knee replaced last month.

"The knee is four weeks old today and it's OK," he said. "It's just a little achy, that's all."

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:59 pm

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:35 am

No long deal on horizon for Youkilis; Santana quiet

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/01/no_big_deal_for.html

Joe Bick, who represents Kevin Youkilis, might be right.
Bick contends if there was ever a perfect fit of player and team it would be Kevin Youkilis and the Red Sox. So while Bick and his staff continued to prepare potential arbitration cases for clients, including Youkilis, there's a small possibility that the two sides could discuss a multi-year deal.
While the Red Sox are open to it, they would want a discounted rate on the deal, while Youkilis, eligible for arbitration for the first time in his career, could continue to agree to one-year deals until he's closer to free-agency.
"At this point we haven't had a conversation with the Red Sox about that (a long-term deal)," said Bick from his Cincinnati office. "That's their call at this point. There's nothing we can do to force any long-term deal at this point so we're just assuming we're going year-to-year."
Arbitration figures must be exhanged between Jan. 5-15 and major league baseball announces the figures three days later.
Youkilis, who set the American League record for errorless games by a first baseman (190) and starts the '08 season within four games of breaking Steve Garvey's major league record, stands to do very well in arbitration after earning $424,500.
"We're thrilled with the contributions he's made there. Kevin is extremely happy playing for the Red Sox. Hopefully, we can get something done," Bick said.
The Red Sox have not gone to arbitration in the Theo Epstein era and have always settled before the arbitration date.
Anything new on Johan Santana, you ask?
While baseball re-opened for business in most places on Wednesday, the much-anticipated Johan Santana deal to Boston remained in a holding pattern for the foreseeable future. It was fairly quiet on that front on Yawkey Way, while Peter Greenberg, Santana's agent, reported "nothing going on that I know of" when asked if there was anything he was involved with.
Greenberg will likely need to get involved as soon as any deal is agreed upon to determine whether Boston, the Yankees, Mets or another team can sign his client to a long-term deal. Greenberg has indicated it would take a starting bid of 7 years, $140 million to get a deal done for the two-time Cy Young award winner. It's a price the Red Sox are apparently willing to pay. What they might not be willing to pay is the price of prospects. Their offers are still out there - the Jon Lester, Coco Crisp, Jed Lowrie and Justin Masterson scenario would be preferable to the Jacoby Ellsbury, Masterson, Lowrie and other player scenario. Both sides also appear to be open to expanding the deal to include other players....
No deal yet for manager Terry Francona. The sides have not begun any serious negotiations yet. It appears there's a general idea of where each side wants to be and a deal should take little time to consummate once the sides actually sit down and chat. Francona is expected to be north of $3 million per year when the deal is finally done....

No long deal on horizon for Youkilis; Santana quiet

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/01/no_big_deal_for.html

Joe Bick, who represents Kevin Youkilis, might be right.
Bick contends if there was ever a perfect fit of player and team it would be Kevin Youkilis and the Red Sox. So while Bick and his staff continued to prepare potential arbitration cases for clients, including Youkilis, there's a small possibility that the two sides could discuss a multi-year deal.
While the Red Sox are open to it, they would want a discounted rate on the deal, while Youkilis, eligible for arbitration for the first time in his career, could continue to agree to one-year deals until he's closer to free-agency.
"At this point we haven't had a conversation with the Red Sox about that (a long-term deal)," said Bick from his Cincinnati office. "That's their call at this point. There's nothing we can do to force any long-term deal at this point so we're just assuming we're going year-to-year."
Arbitration figures must be exhanged between Jan. 5-15 and major league baseball announces the figures three days later.
Youkilis, who set the American League record for errorless games by a first baseman (190) and starts the '08 season within four games of breaking Steve Garvey's major league record, stands to do very well in arbitration after earning $424,500.
"We're thrilled with the contributions he's made there. Kevin is extremely happy playing for the Red Sox. Hopefully, we can get something done," Bick said.
The Red Sox have not gone to arbitration in the Theo Epstein era and have always settled before the arbitration date

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:40 am

New York Jets (4-12)

2008 playoff potential: No hope

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3177262

What they need to do to get there: Pray that Year 3 looks a lot more like Year 1 than Year 2 under head coach Eric Mangini. Mangini surely overachieved with limited talent in 2006, but the Jets suffered this season because neither he nor general manager Mike Tannenbaum wanted to significantly upgrade the roster. They'd better find some major fixes this offseason. The Jets simply don't have enough playmakers in their locker room.

Mangini also needs to determine if Kellen Clemens really is a quarterback worth building around -- something that was very much in question at the end of this season -- and the Jets have to address a defense that still hasn't found a comfort level with Mangini's 3-4 schemes. And these are just some of the more obvious issues. In short, the Jets need to rethink a lot of their plans.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:44 am

John Donovan's latest Hot Stove report.

The Santana trade rumors continue. I have to think that this is still going to happen -- decades of cheapness aren't going to change the Twins now that they may have a couple of quarters in their pockets -- and I have to think that the Red Sox are still the front-runners. But so far neither side is budging. And the Yankees still are watching. Closely.

Link

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:13 am

We could have Tom Brady and it wouldn't make a difference. Our coaches are idiots.

October 11, 1999

Chad Pennington-Strong arm. Heady player. Isn't a great athlete but can elude pressure.

Tom Brady-Classic, tall, drop-back passer with a decent arm. Has improved his play and could continue to rise.Could be an NFL backup.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hypothetical - Would the AL East Be More Difficult for Santa

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:17 am

Hypothetical - Would the AL East Be More Difficult for Santana?

http://www.modernrooters.blogspot.com/

If Santana was to come to the AL East, what could be expected of him? Traditionally, the AL East has been one of the more offensive-packed leagues in baseball. But the level of competition in the AL Central has been on the rise. So first I’ll take a look at how the AL Central and AL East compare offensively.

In 2007, the AL East had two of the top five offenses in baseball. It also had the 15th, 16th, and 17th best offenses in baseball respectively. The average AL East team last year scored 825.2 runs.

On the other hand, the AL Central had two of the top ten offenses in baseball. It was also home to baseball’s 25th, 27th and 28th best offenses respectively. The average AL Central team last year scored 763 runs. BUT Johan Santana played for the Twins, so he never got the benefit of facing their weak offense. So the average division rival that Santana faced in 2007 scored 774.25 runs.

That total is still significantly lower than the average offensive output of AL East teams. But then you must also consider the team that Santana would be playing for in the AL East. Fortunately for Santana, he would be heading to one of the top five offenses in baseball, and so would never have to face them.

If Santana went to the Red Sox, and had to face division teams including the Yankees, Blue Jays, Orioles and Devil Rays, the average offensive output for those teams last year was 814.75 runs. And if Santana went to the Yankees, only had to face division teams including the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles and Devils, the average offensive output for those teams last year was 789.5 runs. That second average still is higher than that of the AL Central teams he faced last year, but it’s only higher by 14.75 runs.

Over a 162 game season, a difference of 14.75 runs is less than a tenth of a run per game. If Santana pitched for the Red Sox, that difference would be more significant at a quarter of a run per game. And Fenway Park would likely also cause an increase in his ERA, but park factors only hurt peripherals, not ability to win games because visiting pitchers suffer under the same park factors.

One also must ponder the affects of the Orioles and Rays losing some of their best run producers in Miguel Tejada and Delmon Young. I doubt the loss of those two players alone will affect the potency of AL East offenses all that much, however.

In reality, it appears as if pitching in the AL East would be slightly more difficult than pitching for the Twins in the AL Central. But while the AL East may hurt his peripherals, pitching for the Red Sox or Twins would significantly help his win totals. Those teams are likely to a couple of the most winningest teams of 2008, with a couple of the best offenses in baseball

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:18 am

#
Ethan Michaels — January 2, 2008 @ 9:11 pm

Hey Moshe, it’s good to see a writer here take time to read the comments are respond like you are doing. You said about that the Tigers have rotation and bullpen question marks, but don’t the Yankees have those same issues?

I’d give Detroit a slight advantage in the bullpen. Mo’s obviously a better closer but I think the Tigers have more quality depth with Rodney, Zumaya, Seay and Miner.

I think the opposite could be said of the team’s rotations though. I think Verlander’s the better ace but the Yankees have better depth in Pettitte, Hughes and Kennedy.
#
Ethan Michaels — January 2, 2008 @ 9:13 pm

Moshe, what do you think of those prospect rankings?
#
Ethan Michaels — January 2, 2008 @ 11:12 pm

Hypothetical - Would the AL East Be More Difficult for Santana?

http://www.modernrooters.blogspot.com/

If Santana was to come to the AL East, what could be expected of him? Traditionally, the AL East has been one of the more offensive-packed leagues in baseball. But the level of competition in the AL Central has been on the rise. So first I’ll take a look at how the AL Central and AL East compare offensively.

In 2007, the AL East had two of the top five offenses in baseball. It also had the 15th, 16th, and 17th best offenses in baseball respectively. The average AL East team last year scored 825.2 runs.

On the other hand, the AL Central had two of the top ten offenses in baseball. It was also home to baseball’s 25th, 27th and 28th best offenses respectively. The average AL Central team last year scored 763 runs. BUT Johan Santana played for the Twins, so he never got the benefit of facing their weak offense. So the average division rival that Santana faced in 2007 scored 774.25 runs.

That total is still significantly lower than the average offensive output of AL East teams. But then you must also consider the team that Santana would be playing for in the AL East. Fortunately for Santana, he would be heading to one of the top five offenses in baseball, and so would never have to face them.

If Santana went to the Red Sox, and had to face division teams including the Yankees, Blue Jays, Orioles and Devil Rays, the average offensive output for those teams last year was 814.75 runs. And if Santana went to the Yankees, only had to face division teams including the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles and Devils, the average offensive output for those teams last year was 789.5 runs. That second average still is higher than that of the AL Central teams he faced last year, but it’s only higher by 14.75 runs.

Over a 162 game season, a difference of 14.75 runs is less than a tenth of a run per game. If Santana pitched for the Red Sox, that difference would be more significant at a quarter of a run per game. And Fenway Park would likely also cause an increase in his ERA, but park factors only hurt peripherals, not ability to win games because visiting pitchers suffer under the same park factors.

One also must ponder the affects of the Orioles and Rays losing some of their best run producers in Miguel Tejada and Delmon Young. I doubt the loss of those two players alone will affect the potency of AL East offenses all that much, however.

In reality, it appears as if pitching in the AL East would be slightly more difficult than pitching for the Twins in the AL Central. But while the AL East may hurt his peripherals, pitching for the Red Sox or Twins would significantly help his win totals. Those teams are likely to a couple of the most winningest teams of 2008, with a couple of the best offenses in baseball.
#
Rich — January 2, 2008 @ 11:53 pm

Jim Callis: (3:03 PM ET ) John Manuel has kindly IMed me our Top 5: Devil Rays, Red Sox, Reds, Rangers, Yankees, in that order.
__

That means the Yankees are #2 at worst.
#
Moshe Mandel — January 3, 2008 @ 12:04 am

Ethan, I think the prospect rankings are fair. Predicting what will happen to prospects is always a crapshoot, so to be honest, seeing the Yankees and Red Sox so close to one another is encouraging. it means they are both loaded and that the rivalry will remain strong. I personally think that the Yankees system is slightly better, because I think that most of these rankings do not give much credit to the 4 or 5 pitchers that are injured for the Yanks (Melancon, Sanchez, Cox, Brackman,etc).
#
Moshe Mandel — January 3, 2008 @ 12:26 am

In regard to your other point Ethan, my feelings about the Tigers are not that they have issues while the Yankees do not. My point is that their offense was excellent last year. Their pitching was the problem, and I do not think Willis is the answer. I think their rotation is entirely lacking in depth and has plenty of question marks (Bonderman is just not that great, neither is Robertson, Rogers is old and hurt, and Wills has been bad in the NL for a few years now). Furthermore, a bullpen of Rodney and Jones (Zumaya is hurt) scares no one. With the Yankees, Indians, Red Sox, and Angels all improving or standing pat, I believe the Tigers needed to correct their weaknesses to close the gap. Instead, they ignored their faults and just added more offense. Im not sure that was sound strategy.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Santana affects Kielty’s Sox future

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:20 am

Santana affects Kielty’s Sox future
Rob Bradford By Rob Bradford

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1064311

Have been around the Red Sox since interning for New England Sports Network during the Butch Hobson managerial years, stopping at such media outlets as The Salem News, The Gloucester Daily Times, The Lowell Sun, and, most recently, The Eagle-Tribune Publishing Co. Along the way wrote the book Chasing Steinbrenner, which focuses on the front offices of the Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays throughout the 2003 season.
EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(0) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(0) Rate

Bobby Kielty, like the rest of the baseball world, spent another afternoon yesterday waiting for news of a Johan Santana trade.

Kielty, a former teammate of Santana in Minnesota, has a particular interest in any potential deal involving the Red Sox [team stats]. One of the packages thought to be offered to the Twins for the left-hander includes center fielder Coco Crisp [stats], whose departure would seemingly pave the way for Kielty’s return to the Red Sox as a reserve outfielder.

“I’m just waiting it out,” Kielty said. “Unless another team comes in with an unbelievable offer, I’m just going to wait it out and see what happens. I love Boston and I’m hoping something can work out.”

While waiting to see what will transpire regarding Crisp’s situation, the free agent has made an important decision regarding his approach for the coming season. The 31-year-old has instructed his agent, Dan Lozano, to tell prospective employers that he is open to hitting exclusively right-handed, at least to start spring training.

“It’s something where I can try it for the first few weeks of spring training and if I don’t like it I can go back (to switch-hitting),” Kielty said. “It’s one of those things that is a catch-22 because I really need to be getting at-bats to be effective left-handed, which I know I can do, but I’m probably more valuable as a switch-hitter off the bench.”

Kielty, who has drawn interest from “three to four” other teams, is just a .228 career hitter left-handed but a .296 hitter from the right side. He was brought in by the Sox last season to serve as their primary righty hitter off the bench, and he highlighted his stay with a pinch-hit home run in Game 4 of the World Series.

Although his preference is to remain with the Red Sox, Kielty might have to look at other options more intensely if Crisp’s situation isn’t resolved.

Other than waiting to see where he will be calling home next season, Kielty has been very pleased with his offseason. Along with winning the Eddie Guardado Charity Poker Tournament for the second straight year, Kielty said he is in the best shape of his career after implementing a new regimen with trainer Brian Richardson.

“I’m excited about how I feel,” said Kielty, who has been able to work on his legs and mobility more than any point since suffering a torn meniscus in his knee in 2007.

“I’m finally where I need to be.”

Now Kielty is waiting to see if the same can be said regarding his next place of employment. He realizes that might not be decided until Santana finds his next home.

“When I think of the Minnesota Twins, I think of Johan Santana,” he said. “You can’t get much better than him.”
rbradford@bostonherald.com

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:30 am

Steve ATL: Happy New Year, Jim, Sox Come out Thursday. I know you love Lars, but what do you think about Mailman, Rizzo, Almanzar and Place? Any with star potential?

SportsNation Jim Callis: That reminds me--I'll be doing a Red Sox prospects chat at baseballamerica.com on Friday. I'd rank those guys (and I did in the Prospect Handbook): 3B Michael Almanzar, 1B Anthony Rizzo, OF Jason Place, OF David Mailman. May be selling Mailman a little short there. The Red Sox are very enthused about Rizzo.

Whoa. Did NOT see that coming.

Is it possible that the system is deeper than we even realize? I'm most anxious to see where the draftees rank in the Sox top 30 in the Handbook. Rizzo seems to be an afterthought among those guys - if he's top 25 or so as well... yikes.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:32 am

David Mailman GCL Red Sox | Outfield

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/mailman-david.htm
Born: October 17, 1988
Charlotte, NC
Height: 6-2
Weight: 180
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
Drafted: 7th round, 2007
How Acquired: Draft
High School: Providence Sr. HS (NC)
ETA: 2012

Scouting Report: Pure hitter with a picture perfect swing. Good plate patience. Needs to pack on size to increase his power. Average fielder - played 1B in high school, likely to play corner OF in the minors. Strong arm.

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:34 am

Another Redsox 1stbaseman? According to Jim Callis , The Redsox management are very high on him.

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/rizzo-anthony.htm

Anthony Rizzo-
Born: August 8, 1989
Parkland, FL
Height: 6-3
Weight: 220
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
Drafted: 6th round, 2007
How Acquired: Draft
High School: Stoneman Douglas HS (FL)
ETA: 2012

Scouting Report: Tough as nails 1B with an excellent build for his age. Very good overall approach at the plate, with a good eye, bat speed, timing, and contact. Strong power to all fields. In the field, Rizzo is an average to above average defender with a solid arm. Said to be a leader by example

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:47 am; edited 2 times in total

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RedMagma on Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:37 am

Kevin D Smith

RedMagma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content